Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Purchasing Cat 259D

Billie ยท 2018-01-06 10:59

Hi Folks I will most likely be buying a CTL in the next month or so and wanted some opinions on some options. Im looking at a mostly loaded machine. It will be mainly used as a rental unit, say 3/4 time out as a rental and 1/4 time at my shop and farm. I will get the weight package and the multibar tracks as it will be used for snow also. There are 3 options Im not sure would be worth the money. Ride Control, High Flow and ISO/SAE Pattern Change. I realize high flow depends on which attachments will be on it, which really at this time most of the people renting would not have a use for..its worth around $1700 to add I think. Any of these 3 things can be added later also..just would be easier to have them built into financing if they are worth having. I would think when its say 4 years old, none of these options would be much difference for resale but thats why Im asking. Also any opinions or info on these machines would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1RTSmith2018-01-14 18:54

    Just my opinion- but you were right about resale value. IMHO- ride control fits that, as well as pattern changer. With pattern folks expect a Cat to have the std pattern. In my new 289D purchase, I never even considered that one. Hi flow is altogether different- If you have or will get hi flow attachments you have to have it. I personally have an issue renting attachments the have flow, for the mixing of fluids. I'm prett carefull with my stuff, not sure about what is in the attachment I rented. My hi flow attachment is a disc mulcher, and I decided a 259 just wasn't big enough for me.

  2. #2catman132018-01-15 00:52

    pattern change & ride control have a little value on resale , but high flow will make a big difference ,and maybe a hydraulic quick coupler if your going to change tools very often. and a cab will be nice when you are pushing snow in - 0 temperatures. I would look at a 289 d , a little heavier and it wont be working at max capacity all of the time witch will give better machine life , and some tools need the bigger machine for use. I bought a 289c thinking it would be enough but some times it be nice to have a 299c .

  3. #3KSSS2018-01-15 22:02

    I would disagree. Not having a pattern changer, reduces the opportunity to rent and sell it to those that run ISO only. There is little difference between the 259 and 289. The 289 actually is slightly less powerful than the 259 at engine hp. but slightly more hyd hp. So I am assuming the pump in the 259 must be less efficient. Highflow is important and I would include it in a purchase, and certainly the pattern changer. I demoed a multi pattern 272D and it only added a couple hundred dollars. Easily worth the price, most other OEM's just give you the ability to go from ISO to H

  4. #4Billie2018-02-26 23:57

    I ended up ordering a new 259d with the above mentioned options a week ago. Along with the normal other options. Mostly loaded machine. 6 week build time. Cat can add pretty much any option you want at the dealer. Even high flow. But I wanted one built to include everything. That way it hopefully won't be an orphan to order parts for in later years.. I went with the 259 as it needs to be able to be moved around on a 7 ton float or dump trailer, any bigger machine would be a sqeeze without going on a deckover. Thanks for the info and opinions