We are looking to purchase a used off-road haul truck for a project in the Texas Hill Country. The truck will be used to haul debris and spoils 2.5 miles from construction site located at the lower elevation of hills through a riverbed with shallow running water (.8 miles in water) up to the top of hill where it will dump. Truck will then be loaded with base material to deliver to construction site. Hill is very steep with one very tight turn on steepest portion of road. Road is a maintained gravel road except the river portion which is bedrock with some very rough areas. We are considering a 20–25-ton Volvo or Bell all suggestion and recommendation are welcomed. Thanks Steve
I am kind of a Volvo guy, when it comes to articulated trucks. Bought a lot of Volvos over a 10 year period, in Texas, and was very happy with them, and the dealer in Texas. The dealer has since sold to another big company, but they were a top notch dealer when I was buying them. I would suggest you look at a little larger truck, like a 30-35 ton. We started with a couple of 25's, but then moved up to the 30- 35's. There is not a lot of price difference, and the amount hauled in a day's time really improves with the bigger trucks.
The answer most probably lies with which machinery manufacturer has the best parts/service support in your area. Also whether the model you are thinking of is rare or common in said area.
Agreed. My A25C is great but after having it for a few years I wish I had a 30 or 35.....
I'm a Cat guy but I think Volvo has the better haul truck. Owned a 2001 and leased a 2007 725's and they were good trucks. The 2001 version had a defect in the main harness that went from the cab thru the firewall that would fail. Had to replace it twice on the 2001. As Nige said - What does the dealer landscape look like in the area? X2 on the larger size truck due to the distance.
Best ever quote I heard from a Cat dealer salesman. This must have been about the Millennium give or take. Customer: “I’m looking for a good 35-ton articulated haul truck.” Salesman: “I suggest you visit the Volvo dealer.” First Volvo ADTs I came across was the 860 in the late 1970s. They were built like tanks and the operators treated them like they were as well….!!
I would lean towards Volvo. The only Wiggle wagons that I have been around is actually a Volvo. Like others have said I would lean towards a 30 ton unit. Our 2 are over 10k hours, and work 10+ hours a day and have never really had any issues with them. I think there's a reason <50% of the articulating trucks around here are Volvos.
I’m not a subject matter expert of articulated trucks. All I see are Volvo fleets up here.
I appreciate all the responses from you knowledgeable men. Going to a larger truck definitely makes sense. Are there any items we should look at in particular as we examine used Volvos?
Transmissions and dropboxes are the most expensive items that typically need replacing in the 12,000hr range. Also make sure the hitch has no cracks.
I might be accused of being a Karen but I do think you ought to look into the legality of driving in the stream bed. Here in NY that would bring hefty fines that would bankrupt you!
I agree with Steve , here in the UK operating machines in or around water courses requires bio degradable oils, oil booms in the downstream area to catch any spills, we are a country with a high rainfall but water quality is important and the EU water directive has to be adhered to. Check your State regulations. good luck
For you guy's in the states, from the Volvo side of things especially, local dealership is a big consideration, or at least the availability and knowledge of local mechanics and parts, because once you get down past F series Volvo trucks, dealerships struggle with knowledge, the older guys that know about those machines and all the foibles have either retired or gone on to form their own business. C/D series trucks are still well supported by both genuine and A/M parts but some critical parts are getting harder to find now the last C series truck is now 25 years old.