My Komatsu PC-120 threw a track and got seriously stuck in the mud a while back and I finally got it towed today. In the recovery process the track got entirely taken off the machine. I cant seem to find any sort of master link in order to unfold the track and get it back on the machine. How do you break the pins holding the chain together? Ive heard you heat them up and beat it out with a hammer but if I can do it easier somehow that would be great. Is there a special tool or anything that I could get? Also once I get it back on is there a way to put a master link in so taht next time it wont be such a hassle? Thanks, Justin
Heat it and beat it.You can make a driver out of a round piece of iron and the handle too.I did two on a 325 Cat.Not to bad.Best to put new pins back in.You can weld the ends a little are they might come out.Old pins that is.Look for the pin that has holes or indents in the end and that will be the master pin.Don't know about a faster master link.
I have seen tracks installed with out breaking them.Think it is easier to break them.
Release the pressure by undoing the grease fittings on the middle of the tracks with a little elbow grease will go back on. No need to break them apart. Usually takes two people and another machine but since it is only a 120 you should be ale to do it by hand. Its an easy fix. If you were close to me I would come by and show you how. If you need any tips pm me and I will help you out as much as I can. Save your money it can be fixed with out taken the pins out. Just you need two people to get them started. Its just like a chain on a bicycle get it started and it will go back on.
I agree with Tomcat, I have done this three times on a Hitachi 200. We used three people, mini trackhoe or backhoe, a chain and a long bar. Pick the track up with backhoe and chain, the bar is used to help guide/pry track over. We have one guy in trackhoe, one guy on mini/backhoe and one prying. Put the sprocket end on first, then the idler end, this is with the trackhoe boom swing over and the machine in the air on that side. I think this is a whole lot easier that breaking the link on the track. When you take the grease fittting out clean all the mud out from behind the idler so it will slide back easier.
The tracks I have put back on have been on Komatsu's only and been anywhere from a 120, 200, 228 and 300. Just like Red said three people is ideal but two works just you have to work harder and make sure the sprocket is on FIRST.
I guess im going to try to get it back on without breakin the pins out. If taht doesent work then Ill break out the torch and the sledge. The idler completly fell out when we were winching it. Does it just slide back in or are there more parts that I need to fish around in the hole for? Ive also got about six hours of pressure washing before I can even try to get the track back on. Is there anything I can do for maintenance or anything while the track is off? It was sitting up to the top of the tracks in water, I am planning on draining the hydro fluid but is there anything special i need to look out for in the undercarriage that might have taken any water damage?
Not hard A couple of our 30 ton samsungs have tracks past there best ok if tight but if let loose drop off, not hard if droped off the idler end if droped off the sprocket a bit harder. Can be done by yourself, easyer with two, a couple of good crow bar and chain come along to pull it sideways about one to two hours worst bit is pumping the ram back out again Worst was a 40 c day got to site operater had gone to another job track was lying about 10 meters away from excavator sandy