Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere or Cat

MacM · 2010-02-23 17:01

Which kind of excavator do you guys like best? Maybe give a little reasoning. Thanks, Mac

Replies25
  1. #1sultan2010-02-23 17:25

    Let the flamewars begin... :tong I'd prefer a Cat but I don't really mind, as long as it isn't a Komatsu... :usa (Canada) ...most Komatsus that I've seen with over 12k hours were ointhead Deeres seem fine, but their engines don't seem to be quite as good as CAT's.

  2. #2gasfield315c2010-02-23 17:36

    i like them both, cat maybe just a little bit more than deere, i have run alot of both, and i think the cats are more durable and will stand up to hard work better than a deere

  3. #39420pullpan2010-02-23 18:42

    Go with a Deere it has 2 pumps makes it nice for tracking and operating boom/stick at the same time.

  4. #4sultan2010-02-23 18:59

    Cats also have 2 main pumps, plus a separate swing pimp. I don't think there's any difference in performance between 2 small pumps and one big one of double the size though.

  5. #5John C.2010-02-23 19:48

    They are all designed in Japan. There isn't a hill of beans difference between any of them. Each model is almost the same as the other guys model. I would like whatever I could make money with and from what I have seen, I could make money with any of them before last year.

  6. #6Deeretime2010-02-23 21:54

    Deere makes a great machine, They are lighter than cat wich makes them easier to move, and realy realy fast. as for the engines , we have 8 deere excavators and have had deeres since the 80s and they all see up to 17000 hours before they are traded with good general mantinence. what ever you do dont buy a case !!!

  7. #7ditchdiggerjcf2010-02-24 10:49

    I also prefer a deere/hitachi. I actually prefer the hitachi over the deere because of the isuzu power. Isuzu engines are almost bulletproof in my experience. A deere/hitachi will work circles around a cat, they are far quicker machines.

  8. #8dynahoescott2010-02-24 10:56

    This guy said it all. Years ago hoes each had there own characteristics, now forget about it. parts and srevice is your main consideration, they really dont last like the old 200 series cats, I am running different 300 series cats now and could easily see the difference in quality on these rigs. ointhead

  9. #9Burnout2010-02-24 14:03

    Sounds like you need to run a Deere Scott...lol I almost think the Cat machines are hit and miss now. Our company has a nice selection of 385C's. We have 2007 models with fading paint, hydraulic pump problems, final drive problems and weird electrical issues, and we have 2006 models with no issues. We have a 2008 model with no issues. I can say one thing for the new Cat iron... the paint SUCKS. Our 08 Powerstripe model looks like ass compared to the 06 our crew has. Both get the same maintenance programs (200hr service on all filters), washed on a regular basis.

  10. #10sultan2010-02-24 17:16

    I've heard numerous lemon stories with the bigger CATs, especially in 2006-2007 365CL and 385CL models. The smaller ones are usually better from them. Still, they are not quite 200 series quality.

  11. #11XxTrasHxX2010-02-24 17:46

    Do not buy any cat with C6 C7 engine unless you have deep pockets

  12. #12dynahoescott2010-02-24 23:30

    Hi guys, I had a brand new 365cl in bayonne one winter loading nothing but pumped in sand, high,high production but easy work nonetheless, about 200,000 yards through the rig decided to stop swinging one day, . Well I dont remember the 245b&d hoes doing that. turns out they had to rip half the motor out to fix it, and what did they give us for a fill in rig you ask? a certified rebuilt 245dlc . thats what I call poetic justice. Burnout, I havent got any experience on any deeres except a 350c track loader, which was great little rig:drinkup

  13. #13tootalltimmy2010-02-25 00:17

    My Case is the same as Linkbelt which they use a lot for forestry. The Case CX135 has an Isuzu engine. Do they have specific weak points? Just curious Deeretime. Thanks

  14. #14Burnout2010-02-25 00:34

    Our company has just in the last year acquired some 365's, we haven't had them before but they don't seem to be getting many fans over the last year. But that could just be their odd size for us, too small for mainline, too big for a side hoe. There is also a 650D Deere in there, its a nice machine just has a really crappy setup but that says more about the company that originally purchased it. We have lots of 245's... still have some of the early models they bought in the 70's, they require a special touch but I love em. It's kinda funny our company probably has just as many 65ton and up sized hoes as we do smaller ones. We have 365's, 375s, 385s, 245's, 750 Deere and Komatsu's, 800 Deere and Komatsu's, an 850 Deere, an 1100 Hitachi and some 1250 Komatsu's. The Cats are great hoes I will give em that even though I'm not a Cat man. But I love our Deere's. When I started here I had a 210 Link Belt. I loved that little LB hoe, but now with 4000 or so hrs on it, she's falling apart. Granted it sees a lot of new green ops, and hoe packs 95% of the time its running. Between a Deere/Hitachi, Cat, Link Belt you can't really go wrong. Talk to some people and see what everyone says. And of course... dealer network.

  15. #15dynahoescott2010-02-27 00:19

    You know what burnout, I feel like this, since cat hoes , they definitely lost there edge. Cat still is the one to beat with loaders (track& wheel) loaders, dozers and probably graders too. :drinkup

  16. #16Burnout2010-02-27 17:51

    Well I don't know about their medium sized wheel loaders.... I like mah Deere's. Track loaders definately. I know one thing you will be able to appreciate though..... the silence of cat hoes. They are quiet. By your name I know you remember a very loud screaming engine in front of you. But then again a Dynahoe 490 is practically a wheel loader, dozer, backhoe, excavator, grader, noise maker all in one. ointhead

  17. #17dynahoescott2010-02-28 10:42

    Nine years straight on a 190 burnout, 3-53 detroit powered, my ears are still ringing. call me bananas but they still are my favorite backhoes, I still run one upon occasion, (nobody else will). young guys got no idea.:usa

  18. #18Dominion 4102010-02-28 12:14

    JD/Cat Have our share of newer Cat,and they have been decent.One operator machines which is a huge difference.Regular maintenance and not being shy with a grease gun is paramount to machine life regardless of any make.Operated Cat,Deere,Komatsu,Link-Belt,Poclain and all have their little issues.After 21,000 hours our 892D-LC Deere was sold off.A couple engine overhauls,but other than one rebuilt hydraulic pump,all major components were original.Cylinders re-seal/re-chromed at one time or another,bucket pins/bushings also.Always like the way that machine handled. Dominion:canada

  19. #19Burnout2010-02-28 13:30

    Yeah the Dynahoe's were a breed all they're own. I still like em too just don't see em around anymore. If you want a slight reminder go find an open cab JD 710C/D. They will help you remember the olden days. Dominion....... the 892's were a great machine. I think a lot of people have fond memories of the 90/92 series machines. I know I still love to jump in an old 992D-LC

  20. #20dynahoescott2010-02-28 21:47

    Hey burnout, I thought you were a crawler loader man? And as far as wheel loaders go, I still think cats are the ones to beat, that little 924g I run upon occasion is a nice little loader. Standard setup, quick attach, side dump and forks. Iam trying to get the boss to do the same thing with the 973, let him get a q/c for that so we can run the side dump and forks off the 966h and the 950g

  21. #21Reuben2010-03-12 19:19

    Both Case and linkbelt are made by a company called sumitomo...they are the same machine.

  22. #22Greg2010-03-12 19:52

    Love my Cat here. All of the deere machines I have been around are a real S-- to work on, and lets face it, sooner you are going to work on all of them.

  23. #23saudi owner2010-04-20 16:31

    what is the problem with this engine Cat® C6.4 ACERT™ ??

  24. #24sultan2010-04-20 17:22

    There's no problem for most, though the newer engines are in general somewhat less reliable than the older ones. My [rather limited] experience with C6.6s has been nothing but positive (nothing special about them but they seemed to work fine in machines I run and I've never heard of or seen any common issues with this engine). XxTrasHxX just happened to be very unlucky, and get a few bad engines with similar problems. That does happen from time to time, though such issues are usually resolved in later model years. For example, many 2006-2007 365CL and 385CL excavators had all sorts of issues. The 2008+ 365s and 385s are in general fine, but of course there are always exceptions, good and bad. I have never heard of any issues specific to the C6, C6.4, C6.6, or C7 engines from anyone other than XxTrasHxX, so don't worry . The 320DL is a very nice machine.

  25. #25saudi owner2010-04-21 18:05

    thank you very much ,you really helped me i've noticed that you have an arabic name so where did you get from?