Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Putting bushing in loose borehole on 426c backhoe

Blackhawk95 · 2021-10-19 19:56

Hi there I was just looking for some advice on replacing a bushing that had some play in the bore hole it wasn't an extreme amount but it was loose enough that I just pulled the old bushing out. This bushing goes in the boom where the boom connects to the swing frame. I read the other day of putting jb-weld on loose fitting bushings, does anybody have experience in doing that and how well does it work? I have attached a picture but I've already installed the new bushing with the jb-weld and I figured if I'd put alittle weld on the outside of the bushing I Think it would hold for awhile atleast.

Replies9
  1. #1G Bilecki2021-10-19 21:15

    Poor man pays twice Best to do it properly if you intend on keeping it Get it welded up and then line bored to get it back to standard or line bore it and make new bush

  2. #2Blackhawk952021-10-19 21:23

    Yes I agree, I guess I just wanted a quicker cheaper fix if at all possible. thanks

  3. #3DB22021-10-19 21:31

    Loctite makes a bushing retainer that I’ve had some success with.

  4. #4Blackhawk952021-10-19 21:33

    Hey thanks for that info I'll check it out

  5. #5Coaldust2021-10-20 01:22

    You can also use a center punch and dimple the bore all to hell to raise the metal enough to assist with the loctite or Belzone. Ghetto at best.

  6. #6JLarson2021-10-20 01:57

    Either have it welded and line bored back to orig size, bore over and put in a larger one if one is an option for that bore or if the current bore is still round sometimes you can have a machine shop make a slightly over bushing and pull it in but then you've got an odd ball so I try and keep that on in the back pocket/last resort.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-04-10 01:29

    How loose is the bushing? If it's only a few thousandths Loctite has several bearing retainers like 660 depending on the gap.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2023-04-10 09:20

    I like the green loctite for bushings and either knurl it in my lathe or go nuts with a automatic center punch or chipping hammer depending on material.

  9. #9Btad2023-04-15 23:33

    I was looking at doing this for my Hitch zx160LC it was $1500 for boom to chase Expander System Pivot Pin Products Expander System provides advanced, cost-effective pivot pin solutions that prevent lug wear. We have the widest product range in the industry that has been installed in more than 10,000 machines. www.nord-lock.com Expander System permanently eliminates lug wear www.fastenerandfixing.com