Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

quad 9 push cat

skyking1 · 2020-12-25 23:13

Dad worked around quad 9's pushing scrapers when I was a lad. I remember him telling stories about them. He was setting grade on the I-82 job between Yakima and Ellensburg in 1968~70

Replies19
  1. #1DB22020-12-26 06:37

    No DPF’s on those units ! Thanks for sharing.

  2. #2Mother Deuce2020-12-26 07:18

    Seems like Fiorito had one out south of Sedgewick road on 16 in Port Orchard in 77 or 78. Last one I ever saw on a job.

  3. #3John C.2020-12-26 11:08

    I've seen two sets in the Scarcella yard in Kent. When I was there, they appeared to have been sitting for years.

  4. #4Truck Shop2020-12-26 11:13

    A lets not forget Mario, he had two sets. I traveled that section of 82 hundreds on times, the corners are all 150 mph plus.

  5. #5Bluox2020-12-26 11:16

    One of the back tractors has a air cooled motor now ,they tried to start it with a slug of water in it. Bob

  6. #6skyking12020-12-26 11:53

    Dad got a 1968 Datsun pickup brand new for that job, and put 60,000 miles on it in two years. We lived in Selah, so most if it was on gravel/dirt. The bridge was late to get completed, so everything came in either from the north, or in his case up the creek roads off the canyon. If you zoom in on google you can see the dirt roads just north of the dam, and up at the top of Wymer Grade. He bombed all over in that truck and it never let us down. I don't know where it went in the late 80's when the farm got broke up, but it was driving. It did get a new bed, thanks to a scraper doing what they should never ever do, back up

  7. #7truckdoctor2020-12-26 11:57

    There used to be a set of quad 9's between Fernley Nv and Fallon Nv along the south side of the Reno highway. They were parked with some old 651's and 641's if you could imagine that. I think the owner moved them to the north side of the highway where they are probably still sitting.

  8. #8Mother Deuce2020-12-26 13:23

    I have seen those... they were on the Southside probably 12 or 13 years ago

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-12-26 15:37

    Do you remember when building the Fred G Redmond bridge the incident with V. Van Dyke Trucking at the Wymer Cut in the canyon? Dyke was hauling the concrete beams for the bridge down the canyon road to Selah, Some how the guy in the steer car ended up dangling above the river 2/3 the way up the rock wall barrier. With the drive axles of the tractor inches off the pavement the beam and steer car teetered there for hours till Russel Crane from Yakima could make it there. Russel had to drive to Vernita, Vantage then Ellensburg to get at it from the steer car end. It has been said the guy driving the steer car had a major weight loss while waiting. Photo below of the rock barrier/guard rail at the Wymer Cut, there is a patch in the wall that still can be seen while heading south from the incident. In this photo it would be between the second and third rock formations along side of road.

  10. #10Bluox2020-12-26 16:32

    You sure ,those may be uncle Tonys . Bob

  11. #11Truck Shop2020-12-26 17:02

    Could be that was years ago, could belong to anyone of that mob.

  12. #12Mother Deuce2020-12-26 17:18

    or Uncle Nicks

  13. #13skyking12020-12-26 20:46

    Dad probably told me about it, @Truck Shop My experience at that corner ( I had many, but thankfully none so memorable ) was in about 1979. Mom and I were rescuing one of her nurses, and the 82 was an ice sheet and wrecks so we ran the canyon. It was also an ice sheet and wrecks. I got to that exact spot and a northbound semi was jacknifed through the guard rail, and his trailer and the 5th wheel coupling was holding up 7 of 8 drivers. the front was still on the road and the one driver, and the rest was in the air. There was just enough room for us to sneak by on the right. I got to that spot at the north end of the canyon where those farms are, and a tanker had gone off toward the river and rolled on his side and slid a really long ways. The axles got stripped off as he slid down the hill and looked like those wooden toy axles scattered all along, and a big groove in the snow and dirt. All in all we saw 4 truck wrecks and a handful of cars on the way to Ellensburg and back.

  14. #14skyking12020-12-26 20:50

    One of the screaming italian bunch I worked for Scarcella, Segale, Ceccanti over the years.

  15. #15Truck Shop2020-12-26 21:16

    And how many people don't know the Nintendo game was named after Mario Segale. I worked for Segale one winter in the early 80's.

  16. #16Truck Shop2020-12-26 21:31

    The canyon road has claimed many lives, I lost two high school fiends riding with two others I knew in a 70 429 Torino. Headed south at high speed hit the NE wall just before the cut launched one of them over the rock barrier wall down towards the river. When I worked for D & M Towing I spent many hours in that canyon and on I-82.

  17. #17Bluox2020-12-26 22:36

    Did you work at the kennels at Tukwila ? Bob

  18. #18old-iron-habit2020-12-26 23:06

    Peterson Cat on the west coast has a set of DD9s. They were at Santa Margarita, CA at the National ACMOC Show pushing a Cat 660 scraper. Its weekend got cut short when then broke an idler axle on the front machine. It was fun to watch when the smoke bellowed before it broke. There was also going to be a different set at Brooks, Oregon this year at our National Show. Unfortunately that show got canceled due to Covid. Maybe the set will be there for next years show.

  19. #19Truck Shop2020-12-27 01:04

    Don't know anything about any kennels.