i've been looking for pics of the quad 9x9,s or side by sides,have had no luck,if you have any pics,please share,or if any one has ran these i would like to hear your story's. thank's-
Best I could do is pics of pics from a book called Caterpillar Chronicles
3 more
They are very neat looking machines, and a true testement to the statment. If you can dream it, someone can and will build it. Thanks for sharing DPete. Trbo
Heres a huge twin engine Elucid TC-12 dozer http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lmM3xOql6_k&feature=related
thank's Dpete,too bad these things are not documented a little better, i have seen only one quad in action,Gibbons and Reed were using one on a scraper spread years ago, i had to pull to the side of the road just to watch. THANKS AGAIN.
In fact, there have been plans for a triple setup. Check this out: http://www.google.com/patents?id=oWw1AAAAEBAJ&dq=triple+tractor+peterson
No problem, that same book has pics of 3 657's hooked together with one operator, will post it later as I'm headed to San Diego to look at some 623's for sale, be gone 3 days.
i got some pics of those in the Earthmover Encyclopedia. I'll see what I can do...
Cat 385, Caterpillar did build and market those machines, but they did not come up with that concept. It was an independant dealer called Peterson Bros, if memory serves, they had a book they were selling some years back. It was the engineering genious of Buster Peterson that came up with the Quad D9 and the SXS D9's, plus many other of what cat sells was his idea, I think the U blade as well. He had patents on these inventions and sold them to cat. All the controls and the way to link the machines was Busters idea. Yeah in the good old days big companys actually listened to some of the nobodys out there. Now they don't give a rip unless you have an engineering degree.
There was a thread a few weeks ago about Peterson's genius, but this stuff sure isn't tiring for me. It's just amazing what came out of that workshop. And yes, can we see some more of those triple 657's?
Can I put scrapers in a dozer thread? I'll try.How would you like to slide all that off a bank?
wow!so just wondering boss, do i get paid triple?ha ha
By the look of that last picture with the steering wheel up the front, would that be for the apprentice???!!!!! Seriously though there were some really unique ideas used back then, it reminds me of ag gear with a couple of tractors hooked in tandem. OH & safety wouldnt have a bar of it today. A question I have is how did the dozers hooked side by side turn? Did one completely stop and the other push it around or was it the normal way where they both disengaged the same track on each machine?
Cat-Peterson relationship. Hello, Dozer575. You are right about the Quad-track D9G's - the DD9G's - but not about the SxS D9's. After seeing Buster Peterson's DD9G's in action, Cat's research department approached Buster with the idea of putting two D9G's side by side with one wide blade across the front of both. Buster linked up two toy Cat dozers in a similar fashion to what was eventually adopted in the full-sized version. Cat liked the idea and gave the go-ahead for a full-sized version. Buster developed the idea 'into iron', including the single-operator control system. Cat again liked what they saw, took it over, developed it further and released it as a production design in 1969. In total, between both D9G's and D9H's, only about 25 sets of these machines were made, including the original set that Buster put together for Cat. Ditto with the push-pull scraper concept. Cat approached Buster with the basic concept and asked him to put it 'into iron', which Buster did in a lot less time than it would have taken Cat themselves. Again, Cat liked what they saw, took it over and released it in pretty much the form that Buster had given them and which we know today. Buster did a LOT of work with and for Cat, to the extent that Cat gave Buster their design protocols so that both companies were talking the same language when discussing the various projects. Cat sent a number of projects to Buster to put 'into iron' 'cos he could do it so much faster than Cat themselves. On the other hand, Buster developed an LOT of ideas on his own that Cat eventually took over.
Hey Deas U put a picture in another thread of two cats with a huge ripper connected to the blade mounts on the side. Do you have any more pics of that setup? Is that a Double 9 setup? History behind it? Looked like the pics where from your part of the world
Giving it all I've got. Hi, MKTEF. Here are all the photos I have of the beast. They are not from DownUnder. I suspect California.
deas, on the subject of scrapers linked together, didn't letorneau do a scraper chain? I'm unsure of all the details but I was thinging he had five or more units hooked together, maybe more. I see on http://www.letourneau-inc.com/about/history.htm under year 1966 they have three pans with it looks like one operator, and one of his pans was the capacity of all three of those cats...
LeTourneau Electric Diggers Hi, Stumpjumper83. You might like to check this link for further information. http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result The lad did have a pretty fair imagination and if something he wanted wasn't in his toybox, he'd make it and put it in his toybox. LOL.
Here is one that i had to take with my camera from page that i had.Sorry about the poor pic.It is a Balderson"Double Dude",a 48' reclamation blade,powered by two D9 tractors,operated by one man,is being used in Texas. Here is also a D10 with coal blade. This was published in 1980.Enjoy:usa
nice,that's some serious boil off that 10,cool.
Somewhere in this fourm someone posted up pictures of quad teams of D-11 and even one team of 6 D-11 linked together with one cab and one blade.
Thanks for the corrections. Wow, and years ago at an auction there were 2 quad units that were here, one set was D9G and the other was D9H, I think it was Fiorito constructions machines, they used to be the biggest outfit here for doing hiway construction, and they got the job done, unlike the ones we have now. Yeah remember as a youngster when they were widening I-90 there were lots of machines on that job, they even worked a grave yard shift, at least I think it was Fiorito that did it. We have had PKS in the area doing things but they are slow. And hit the jobs with only a hand full of machines.
I ran a quad 9 for western contracting in 1967 while working on a huge fill south of Gorman California on I-5 project. They were hooked end to end and controlled by a wobble stick. It had controls on both tractors, it was a great push cat and you could roll the biggest boulders out after a blast for the scrapers to rap around and pick up. No ripper just a push blade.
ran a quad 9g's for western contracting in 1967 while working on a huge fill south of Gorman California on I-5 project. They were hooked end to end and controlled by a wobble stick. It had controls on both tractors, it was a great push cat and you could roll the biggest boulders out after a blast for the scrapers to rap around and pick up. No ripper just a push blade.
I have several pictures of SXS's and other D9H's with company built blades on them. Have to figure out how to post them though. Company is Russell & Sons Construction out of Kansas and Texas.
i'll be waiting:cool2
Quad D9's with Collins ripper. Hi, MKTEF. I don't know anything about the development history of the Collins ripper shown on those DD9 'quad' tractors. All I can tell you is that I have been told that it was developed to service a need for deep ripping to break up hardpan subsoil in various areas of California. One of these areas, I think, was the Napa Valley which, amongst other things, produces a lot of grapes and mucho wine therefrom. I have done several searches on Google for "Collins ripper" but, being an American search engine, it only wants to return results relating to baseball, basketball, gridiron or wrestling. It doesn't seem to comprehend that there is life outside of the subjects. LOL. Maybe some of our Californian readers can come up with more information.
I will be wating also!
Collins Ripper Deas, as far I know from the book "Cat D9-D9R", a German publication, the Collins Ripper was manufactured by the Peterson Tractor Company. Further, the book mentions a weight of ca. 16 metric tons of the ripper assembly and more then 1 ton for each shank.
Well guy's i spent some time at the Peterson tractors site and found this: http://www.petersonholding.com/about/towable_ripper.htm Seems like Peterson build the towable rippers first. Real huge. Theres a note to the Central valley. The same customer later used the quads to do the same work with a ripper at the back of the quads. Dosent show any pics of the quad rippers though. But the result was the same, so they got to be as big as the towed ones. Bet there is a connection here. That same firm might be in the picture u got Deas. A lot of interresting stuff on that site.....
Collins ripper. Hi, FatCatGotHot. Thanks for that. It would make sense that Peterson built it. It was certainly an innovative way of setting up a larger style of ripper on a tractor not originally designed to carry such a beast and innovation was Peterson's hallmark. Hi, MKTEF. Thanks to you too. Buster was certianly one very inventive gentleman. He quite possibly could have got himself off a desert island with an elastic band and a paper clip. LOL.
Not too much info here but some pics of some absolute history now just laying around derelict http://www.agristruction.com/
Petersons Siamese... ...D8s at work can be seen here: http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=Bulldozers+source:life&imgurl=f714b44ff25b3d81
Back in the day when I-5 and I-90 was under construction, the road contractors list read like a cast from the "Soprano's". Fiorito Bros, Scarsella Bros. and at least a half dozen more I can't think of due to oldtimers disease (all a great bunch of guys). I was wrench'n for NC at the time, more work than you could shake a stick at.
Quad D9 Back in the day, 1969, Peter Kiewit was building Dana Point harbor and I was running a 3 speed stiff neck 651. We were being pushed with 3 D9G's, of which one machine was an inline Quad 9. It was run by an old black guy named Riley Brown. We had a long cut with a pit boss and the 9's would back up and the scrapers would pull in front. At the time the power was awesome. A few years ago I was running a new 657E for Independent in Santa Clarita. We usually hooked up, but once in a while we would work with D10R's. Want to see real power? I will try to attach a photo I took from my rig showing a 657 being loaded by 3, yes 3 10T's. Note the ripper assemblies with pushblocks. 3 10T's + 1 657E = 600,000lb+ and 3000hp+. This is how to move dirt!
Look forward to it HKTOM, i think you have to have afew posts up before it allows pics so keep postin them stories. I have a pic of 2 84W D10,s working with a 666B so that would equal about 2350HP on the cutting edge. Scrapcutters, i mean welders love that stuff!!!!!
These are the only ones I have. Took these a couple years ago at Scarcella Bros bone yard in Lind, WA. They were still there 2 weeks ago. Im thinking its the only two pair left in my part of the world.Another supe for the company I work for now was one of the last guys I know of to run #22, about 15 years ago. That was on Hiway 395, just a few miles from where they are parked now. I could be wrong though!
Interesting link, the quad story: http://www.petersonholding.com/about/history_Quads.php
Triple push 657 + more.... Hey guys, pictures from the seat of an Independent 657E at Santa Clarita. Note the 10T's triple pushing . They were primarily loading 51's but a couple of us had to squeeze in there to get an 8 second load. I'll also post some from the seat of a 660 pictures on the 660 thread later.
That third 10 looks a little slow getting to the punch! My bad, hes going back for another scrapper That wouldnt have happend to been 2006 would it? I think I know right where you were working, but cant remember the name of the road that was off of. Jason
INSANE shots hktom:drinkup I "freqin" love that first pic!!!:usa Ken
very nice pic's
Wow, what a great bunch of pics!:notworthy
Sweet pics hktom, That looks like a heck of a drop to come over, but they do say loading down hill is the best:cool2 Please more photos
Great pictures.The dirt(sandy) looks like some that i around my area,farther west tho. Here it is call sandy loam(sugar clay,blow sand) It is located from Council Bluffs down along the Missouri River down into Missouri. Thanks for sharing! :usa
Great pics, man that looks like a blast, also like the push blocks on the rippers. I'm ready to work now:cool2
I have some pictures to post but I cant because I'm still prob. member. They are of 2 different SXS 's, and a pic of the reclaim it was working on. I my self have never run the SXS, but my dad has. I don't work for Russell &Sons anymore but he still does. I have run many of their D9H's with 22' center-flow reclamation blades. I have pictures of those too. I now work for Sabine Mining Company, running a D9T, grounding for one of their 1570 BE draglines. I could email pictures to someone else if u really wanted too see them.
You should be able to post them after one more post I think. If you'd like you could email them to me and I'll post them for you.
hktom...awesome pictures, but i have to ask...when does it become more efficient (fuel and time) just to switch over to a 45-60 ton trackhoe and haul trucks rather then 3 dozers pushing? I don't know a whole lot about scrapers so maybe someone on here can enlighten me
well i think its still less fuel used per load when you get 40 ton in 8 seconds, if they kept that up at a good pace theyd be makin headway in a urry
WOW! you couldn't even keep up with a big dragline! how does the quad 9 compare to new dozers power wise? does it have the same pushing power as a D10 or 11? maybe even more?
Here are a few of the WA Quads Here are a few photos from Mr. David Macguinnes, he took these shots somewhere in Washington State.
Nice shots of Scarcella's old quad's! To bad those old girls are just sitting. I would love to see them working.
Nice yellow iron.
almost all of that work was done right here in my home town in San Leandro, CA right on marina Blvd about 4 miles from my house. They were then vetted and field tested at peterson's own ranch "blackhawk ranch" which is now an ULTRA high end gated community he devloped. It still is home to the World Headquarters of the Peterson Tractor company and also home to their custom fabrication division to this day. If you can dream it and fund it they will build it to this day. I used to know the daughter of the president of the company Dwane Doyle years back when i was in high school.
thanks gd10r i really enjoyed those pic's:notworthy
Try UNLOADING down a drop like that! Full noise at the bottom, and hang on! Can't say I liked it that much. Couldn't take it at a sensible speed and lay it down neat because the next guy would be at your arse. Takes a bit to scare me, but that had me holding tight.
there is a dd-9-h in banks, oregon. i have some pictures of it some place as soon as i find them i'll post them
I heard a few years ago that an old super, or a project manager for Kiewit that lives in Oregon bought a quad, restored it and has it parked in his front yard. Im wondering if this isnt the one?! Banks isnt that far from where Im at. I wouldnt mind taking a trip to see it. Jason
sorry told you wrong its in brooks, oregon http://http://www.antiquepowerland.com/ this the web site for the place that has it in july they have a big event and several old cats and tractors