I have a D4D that doesn't want to turn right most of the time. There are times when it will turn fine. It is the same in forward or reverse. It seems to be getting worse. Is there anything I can adjust? This dozer is only used on a farm so I'm hoping there is something cheaper than having new clutches installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
D4 Hello rr12 ,here are 2 pic to help with the steering clutch ajustment ,if it still slips the news is bad ,bruce oz
rr12, I cant remember if the d series had a dry or wet type of clutch/brake setup but if it is a dry type a thing to check is if there is any oil in the steering brake compartment. If there is a lot then you have some dramas but if there is a small amount drain it and you can drill a 1/2 inch hole in the drain plug to keep the area dry. If you find a bit then after it has been drained try to ride the brake a little to get rid of the oil. It can take a while to dry out but if the clutch is still sound it will eventually start to brake properly and turn again- that is if it is a dry type of course.
Drain plug hole????????????? Hi, rr12. IF your steering clutch compartments are supposed to be dry and IF you do drill a hole through the plug, may I suggest that you put a slightly smaller split pin through the hole and open the end out to help prevent dirt and water getting back in. This also has the effect of helping to keep the hole open as it rattles around, be it ever so slightly. I'd look at the adjustment first, as per Bruce oz's sketches. Hope this helps.