Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about Alberta

dsichewski ยท 2010-08-01 11:51

Hey everyone. Hope your all having a great summer and a busy construction season! I'm just wondering if those working out in Alberta might be able to answer a question for me. Do large companies such as Kidco, Sureway, etc (names I've seen mentioned on here before) hire entry level Heavy Equipment Operators in the early spring time with the hopes of staying on for the construction season or year round work all together? What I mean by entry level position is someone who has taken heavy equipment operator schooling and is familiar with the machines, can operate them and has a general idea of the daily tasks that the machines would perform but hasn't had allot of seat time to improve skills, become quicker and continue to learn new and better ways from others to complete tasks. I know this is a forever learning process. I know there are a few things right off the bat that I would need explained to me, but I'm a quick learner and strive to get the job done safely, quickly and right the first time. Here is my background: Took heavy equipment operating course in 04 and then did pre-apprenticeship schooling in 05. starting in 06 worked for Toromont Cat (equivalent to Finning Cat out there) for 3.5 yrs and got up to level 2 in my apprenticeship. (while here operated many different machines in the yard (dozers(d3-d8), excavators(307-345), backhoes(416-446), packers, rollers(cb534d), wheel loaders(915-988), and the odd grader(160m), articulating rock truck(725), wheeled excavator, paver and cold planner(pm 200) and used many machines to perform tasks around the yard (mainly backhoe, excavator, dozer and wheel loaders). Assisted field service and the lube truck when was required. Did snow plowing in a pick up truck over this past winter This spring/summer and into fall I have been working at a sod farm running a cat 924h and cat 906 wheel loaders loading trucks, customer vehicles and the stacker/screeners. Have run a JD 200lc to take stock piled topsoil and load screener as well as do fine grading for water drainage and right now am running a forklift and sod cutting machine. While working as an operator I can/could also double back to the mechanics side of things to help out if they are behind or need assistance running lube truck, replacing hydraulic hoses, changing buckets or GET attachments, replace pins and bushings, replace lights, work at changing out already diagnosed hard parts (engines, trannies, hyd pumps), undercarriage work, repack cylinders... another scenario could be Friday 3pm excavator blows engine and needs to be up and running asap(Mon), could start on Fri or assist mechanics over the weekend to get the job done. I never got into the diagnosing end of things however. Have my own tools, however don't have the big tools(3/4" & 1" drive guns & sockets, larger torque wrenches etc), they would be on a service truck anyways. I'm planning to get my DZ license once sod season is over, hopefully in November. I'm living in Ontario right now but I would have no problems relocating for the job. If you happen to have some insight you could offer that would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance! David

Replies15
  1. #1245dlc2010-08-01 12:12

    Sureway had hired noobs when I was there five years ago if anything they'll test you out on one of they're beaters and probably have you working in the gravel pits or doing one of the more mundane jobs to get your skill level up, then they'll pass you up through the ranks progressively. I don't know about Kidco having never worked for them but Sureway is pretty good to work for, they might also have you running packers, discs, rock trucks, and water trucks. If you don't mind doing some of that stuff from time to time and you show promise running excavators, Cats, and other equipment you'll probably work out fine. Burnout will probably chirp up as he worked there longer than I did off and on. lol

  2. #2willie592010-08-01 13:10

    Oh man, how I'd love to see a video of Burnout "chirpping".

  3. #3Vantage_TeS2010-08-01 13:34

    He's at work but I'm rained out. I guess I'll be the bird today. Yes it's possible to get hired on with little to no experience but expect to be on a rock truck or packer.

  4. #4Burnout2010-08-02 13:10

    chirp chirp chirp chirp...bahahahahahahaha

  5. #5245dlc2010-08-02 15:12

    Lol, hell I remember times working for Sureway where I'd rather be driving one of those big Case tractors pulling a sheepsfoot or disc rather than running a hoe, cause at least they had air conditioning.

  6. #6dsichewski2010-08-03 04:15

    Thanks for the reply's guys! It's good to know I have a possible chance. lol I don't have a problem working on packer or rock truck (always wanted to drive a rigid frame truck) or starting off in the aggregate pits, I knew I would have to start low on the totem pole and work my way up. I knew I wasn't going to be thrown right into the excavator on the main line. lol When would it be best to try and apply? Is it better to submit an application say oct nov? or wait till feb march? Or would it be worth flying out and taking a tour/ talking with ppl at the head offices?

  7. #7245dlc2010-08-03 08:17

    The people at the head offices are usually useless you should go right down to the job sites and talk to the foremen and superintendents, they're the ones who decide if you stay or if you go. (hmmm..... sounds like a song) And for when to apply wait till you actually get on the ground next year like around June if they've got lots of work they'll probably try you out on something for a day or two and see how it goes from there. And I think most of the rock trucks being used out there are articulated, Burnout will have to confirm that for me as it's been a while since I've been there.

  8. #8youngoperator2010-08-04 21:07

    KLS eathworks hires less experancied operators, there a smaller company then kidco one of the brothers from kidco made KLS Earthworks company, they hired me with almost 2 years operatoring hoe exper, just hope i can stay on with them for the winter, but good luck sounds like you have a good chance at gettin a job in alberta no problem

  9. #9dsichewski2010-08-06 21:43

    Ahh ok, I didn't realize that it was site super's that do the hiring, I thought it was head office and they just get told by the super at the site i need an operator or mechanic etc...I was hoping I would be able to apply for job here in ont and go out once obtained one after phone interview kinda thing...and then maybe have to do a hands on interview...How come wait for june? would construction season not be half over by then? Ideal would be to have a job starting at the beg or middle of april as snow plowing will be finished up by then... I'm guessing from what your saying is its going to be take a giant leap, move there and then find work? I'm would be fine with running articulated as well just thought the rigid framed trucks would be cooler to run and would be better off for working in a mine or oilsands. lol (one can dream can't he) Thank you very much for the information! I will definitely check them out and will apply in the early spring. When you say less experienced, would I have enough experience to have a chance? Good luck staying on through the whole winter! Thanks for the best wishes, I hope I can get a job out there as well! lol Just nerve racking at first taking the first steps...

  10. #10reaper0202010-08-06 23:13

    why wait alberta seems to be booming again there are tons of ads on the canada job bank looking for operators. working and living in the town you want to work as an operator is definatley a plus they prefer to hire local first. but I have still been getting calls for work from out of town with faxed resumes. best of luck

  11. #11245dlc2010-08-08 17:02

    Well May, June it all depends on how the winter goes. Here in Winnipeg the big highway jobs (if you wanna call them that) don't get started sometimes till June cause the department of holidays (highways) is bloody slow at tendering bids, which is why I have gone to working on smaller jobs. Also the winters in the Prairie provinces are a hell of a lot longer and colder than in Southern Ontario. But yeah why wait till next spring? It's not like they ran out of oil or tar sands in Alberta. lol

  12. #12youngoperator2010-08-09 20:04

    i only have 2 years operating hoe and they hired me no problem, they tested me on a 450 deere hoe loading trucks to see what i can do and they like me good company to work so far. Thanks hope i can stay on for the winter Why wait to come out like everyone else says there is alot of work in the calagry area and all over alberta, if you have a good attuide and wanting to work you will have no prblem getting a job operating

  13. #13Burnout2010-08-12 14:08

    Everyones busy out here, I have already had a couple calls about winter work. Just show up on site and tell them you want to run iron. I was hired out of ontario but it was at a job fair. The big dogs here in Edmonton are all hiring like crazy... MAP, Sprague, Sureway, LaFarge, Shamrock, Horizon..lol and Prairie all need operators. I know people who have been e-mailing resume's for 2yrs and haven't found a job even though its busy. When you e-mail your just another piece of paper. Showing up on site shows you have some drive and ambition.

  14. #14dsichewski2010-08-18 20:51

    Thanks guys for all the replies! Sorry for not posting sooner but I have been extremely busy with work lately...apparently sod is a hot commodity right now. lol Thanks for the tips, I think if I run with this in the spring time I'll just head out find a place so that I can be considered local and will be able to start right away. glad to hear your still getting calls for work. How did things go with Suncor in the end? Lol no I don't think they'll run out of tar sands for a long while. I doubt I would get on at a place like syncrude/suncor/cnrl etc with not having pit/mini experience and only working on smaller machines...I wrote below why I'm holding off on coming out now...Thanks for the info though, much appreciated! That is a good sized hoe just to get tested on. lol I figured they would try you out on like a 20ton. Did they just want to see how you set up the trucks coming in,how you dumped, how smooth you kept things going, how you kept grade and how you thought ahead? The job I am working at right now was basically handed to me so I would feel bad leaving with only a couple of months left of the season since they trained me on the harvester and its not a easy machine to learn so they would be down a guy and would have a hard time getting someone trained enough to run the machine to last the season. I know ppl say I don't owe them anything as I've paid my dues but I'd still feel bad for doing it, so planning to stay till the end of the season(oct/nov) then get my dz license through a training school and then work the winter here and if i run with this plan head out west mid spring...aplil may time frame... Thank you very much for the list of companies! If I go through with this plan in my mind, I will for sure check them all out and apply in the spring time..except for horizon and phase 2 earthworks. haha I see now why it is best to approach them on site as opposed to emailing a resume. How much winter work(what type of work) is actually done? enough to keep entire crew busy for the winter? or just run a skeleton crew to complete the tasks at hand? Thanks again everyone for the replies!

  15. #15youngoperator2010-08-18 22:24

    [QUOTEThat is a good sized hoe just to get tested on. lol I figured they would try you out on like a 20ton. Did they just want to see how you set up the trucks coming in,how you dumped, how smooth you kept things going, how you kept grade and how you thought ahead? The job I am working at right now was basically handed to me so I would feel bad leaving with only a couple of months left of the season since they trained me on the harvester and its not a easy machine to learn so they would be down a guy and would have a hard time getting someone trained enough to run the machine to last the season. I know ppl say I don't owe them anything as I've paid my dues but I'd still feel bad for doing it, so planning to stay till the end of the season(oct/nov) then get my dz license through a training school and then work the winter here and if i run with this plan head out west mid spring...aplil may time frame...][/QUOTE] Ya thats pretty much it, keep the trucks moving all the time, keep grade, dont take off sideborads lol, stay orginazied. im guessing they test on a 450 because if you can operate a 450 you can def operate a 20 ton one. They have me on a 450 now i just love it!