Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about cat 3204di engine camshaft gear

norman123 · 2021-02-25 21:22

Rebuild a smoke cat 3204 engine. Brought engine to shop,but they just want the block to bore ocersize. Tried to remove camshaft gear, on manual it says remove bolt (9) but i dont see any bolt. Anyone can help?already remove the bolt and plate that holding camshaft behimd the Camshaft gear.

Replies7
  1. #1Cmark2021-02-25 21:41

    The gear will be pressed on. Remove the lifters and pull the camshaft out C/W gear.

  2. #2norman1232021-02-25 22:48

    Cool thanks.done. One one question. Since there is no sleeve in block. Still need machine work at block if I decide to press sleeve in?

  3. #3Bluox2021-02-25 22:58

    The liners are still in that block. So what kind of sleeve are you talking about? Bob

  4. #4norman1232021-02-25 23:05

    As I know this engine dont have liner. gasket Looks like a liner. Try to save as much as I can. Is that possible do block work and change just pistons and rings?

  5. #5DB22021-02-25 23:10

    I would say those cylinders have quite a ridge at the top.

  6. #6Bluox2021-02-25 23:15

    Sorry looked like liners but that engine has 2 oversize pistons .020 and 040" available before it needs a sleeve. Cat sold rebuilt blocks and engines with sleeves at one time and sleeves for do it yourself. Bob

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-02-26 03:47

    IPD 3 ring pistons are the hot set up. I believe they come in .010", .020", .030" and .040". I have .010" and the engine starts better and has slightly more power and compression.