I am looking at a 2003 F550 Ford Diesel 6 Speed.Has Auto crane bed and 5005 crane fully hydraulic.Engine has electronic problems.He is asking $6500 for it.Engine was overhauled not many miles on it.Truck and bed in good shape no dents are rust.Inside cab looks OK just normal wear and dirt. Can someone give me there opinion on this?
03 could be the 6.0 or 7.3. 6.0's are not to be trusted. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
6.0 are horrible motors they are alright if you install headstuds and delete the egr but that will cost you a couple thousand dollars. I would stick with a 1999-2000 7.3L 2001- have transmission issues and PMR connecting rods which have been known to break 2002-2003 Also Have PMR connecting rods
An 03,,, if its a 6.0 walk away and don't look back... if 7.3 snap it up
I haven't heard of the pmr rods breaking at stock power levels. Have you guys been running into that? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I know about 10 guys that have had PMRs break at stock level. Thats why I have owned 3 2000s (F250,F350 & F550)
Well it is a 7.3.But I think the bed and 5005H Auto Crane might be worth the $6500.I'm going to talk trade.Labor for truck.My labor price that is.Looking at auction site price is good.No rust are dents like some at auctions. Speaking of the 6.0 I have one with 112,000 trouble free miles.But no drag racing or programmers.I think the last year of the 7.3 was the best one unless I'm mistaken
You are NOT wrong 2sstick bill. 2003 was the last year for 7.3's. The change over was sometime during the model year. Some 2003's have 7.3 and some have 6.0. I have a pair of 7.3's here and will keep them till h--- freezes over. Fellow I know that works on lots of small truck diesel tells me that if I would bring him a 6.0 and 4 grand he would groove the heads, change the head bolts, change the injectors, change head gaskets and do away with the EGR and everything would be good for a long time. Never mentioned PMR's though.
1999.5-2000 were the best years for the 7.3L see my previous post for the reasons why the newer 7.3Ls were not
O well I was told today someone was going to buy it.Ha this guy has about five items someone was buying.Six month later their still in his yard.He might want to trade when he gets the bill on the D6 overhaul and misc.items done to it.
I have not heard of the PMR connecting rod thing. Care to enlighten me please?
I have to disagree the 6.0 can and will be a very reliable engine if treated properly. I own several and run them hard pulling 18,000 lbs daily with them. Delete egr, clean oil, watch for water in fuel, and keep egts down.
The 6.0 is the worst diesel ford ever put in a pickup sized chassis and the 2nd worst diesel ever put in any pickup behind the abortion 5.7 chevy. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Re-reading my last post I realized it looks confrontational and that's not what I was going for. What I said was based on warranty numbers and not an opinion. I have a 99 dodge Cummins which is probably the worst Cummins in a dodge, because of fuel pump failures and the infamous 53 block (mine was replaced under warranty) so I feel your pain. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Well I believe that the Dodge Chevy and Ford have their problems.I have heard about some of these.But a lot of these were caused by the owners putting programmers and to much horse power with out strengthening the engine.To many horses and a lead foot with kill them.My 6.0 has 114,000 trouble free miles.Just a few recalls but so has the other manufactures.You can get a lemon any time.
Something must be good about Fords.All most all Heavy Equip.Dealers have them for field service trucks even Cummins in Houston.One of their Mechanics told me the Cummins engine was great but the Dodge just would not hold up to the rough treatment. I do see a lot of Dodges in Hot Shot work around here.I think more than Fords.
I think fords are better trucks in general I just like the Cummins better. I've actually been looking for a king ranch superduty with a blown up 6.0 to put a Cummins in. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Not to hijack but I'll do it anyway. Back in April my '06 6.0 at 66K miles received a new EGR/oil cooler, EGR valve and head gaskets. Luckily I bought an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty when I bought the truck - I dropped the truck off at the stealership 2 days before the warranty was up. Total charge $100 deductible. I have read that adding a coolant bypass filter on a 6.0 will help with the EGR cooler/head gasket issue in keeping the coolant clean and thus help keep the cooler from plugging up. It makes sense to me. Thoughts? I have also thought of doing an EGR delete but that messes with emissions.
Im not positive on the 6.0 but on the 6.4's you can just slide a plate in between one of the flanges and block the egr off but leaving it on for visual inspection. The best thing to keep the heads on is studs. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
If you want to keep every thing legal and working Bullet Proof Diesel has a cooler that is stronger.Ebay has several different items to delete un noticed but your truck will throw a check engine lite.
Well I've set back and wathced this thread on all the pros and cons of the Ford diesel experience ...lol I run an old Chevy service truck that I built in 93 ...I travel on average 70 to 100 miles to my customer ..This truck has never been towed in in 450 thousand miles of extreme service ...way i see it start lookin at wear items that are gonna tear up ...Motors ,Transmissions , rear ends ..I'm 50 years young I got plenty of parts for my old friend ... oh by way if i want to run 90 mph i can and i can do it cheaper ..Big inch gas motor here..
almost forgot people listen to exhaust and ask me whats under the hood ? I tell em Briggs & Srtatton ..
coldsteele please give us some more details on your truck, how big is the motor? what tranny? what gear ratio? any pics? thanks
Yep and it's paid for too.A friend of mine bought a service truck ex power co.Looks like new but it's a 1998 A/C so cold you need a coat.He wants to sell it but it's to big for me.Bed sits high and he put a small crane in it.Bed is in great shape all doors lock with the two lock system.Bad thing it's over the 26,000.
Hey Koldsteele, I got you beat Bill, I drive an '86 C30 everyday, mine'll do 90 cheaper than yours, it's a 350. My engine's still tight, but when it's not, I can get a brand new crate engine from GM for $1800( that's not many truck payments). I get 12.5 mpg.
Thats what I'm talking about mitch these old trucks are cheaper to run ...mines and 83 model ..been around so long its considered family ..
PMRS are Powdered metal rods which are less strong then forged rods that came in the 1999-2000 powerstrokes and have be known to break even at stock levels in 2001-2003 7.3L Powerstrokes The forged rods are much stronger and have been put to the test with motors built up to 600hp
I don't know if mine will do 90 because the ticket would be more than the truck cost.Yes a gas is cheaper to replace we all know that.As for MPG I got ya beat there.21.5 with my 6.0 3/4 P.U. But those DT466 Internationals now in a bigger service truck are good on fuel too.
thanks dzlnut. Being a Metallurgist I know Powder Metallurgy, Forging and Casting equally well. Powder Met is the least desirable but also lowest cost.
Whitee needs a bath ...thats what everyone knows her name ..I'll get the camera out and take some pics..... I've heard my youngins argue over who gets Whitee when i'm gone lol..
Are you just spamming or did you not read the thread? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Change the engine.If I did that I would just go to Houston pick one up and drop it in. chevota I advertised for an engine once local that is.Got offers from Tim Buck Two.The guy hasn't made up his mind yet but I'm hopeing he will go for a trade.I think it's a small electronic problem.They will not take time to trace it down.I had a good service bed once got in a bind and sold it.
Just so the readers of this thread will know, that post by agaparts2012 was a spammer, that post was removed by moderator. Carry on.
Great job.I got where I can smell a Spammers miles away.They stink that bad.