Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about Huber D1400 transmission fluid.

iceberg210 ยท 2009-04-25 02:20

Now that the weather up here has improved to where working outside is fun again, and now that I have the time too, I've been going over the newest edition to our iron a 70's Huber D1400 Grader. Great machine that seems to be in fine shape and that we have had the chance to use a little bit. However as I was checking the transmission again I noticed it was quite low this last weekend. However knowing what I know about machinery I know that the stuff I need to put in there could be anything from automatic transmission fluid, to gear oil, to hydraulic fluid, to 30W. I've done some internet searches but so far have come up empty. Does anyone by chance have any experience with these old machines and know by chance what liquid needs to find it's way into the transmission? Thanks a bunch! Oh and here are a couple pics of the new toy, sorry I mean machine (and my even).

Replies8
  1. #1willie592009-04-25 19:21

    Does it not have a lube chart decal on the machine somewhere? Is there an oil spec stamped on the trans dipstick? Not sure about the Huber, but a lot of older machines used Allison C3 spec oil, which is SAE motor oil, like SAE 30.

  2. #2iceberg2102009-04-26 22:57

    Well I let some oil out of the drain plug and sure enough there was gear oil in there, so I'll put 80-90W in there next weekend. I've seen a lube plate on some machines but I wasn't able to find one on this one. In fact I couldn't even find the data plate. That was particularly frustrated as the family has another older Huber so i figured I'd find the plate in a similar place, but no sir, just bee sting thank you. Also there wasn't any oil spec on the stick. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a manual this week, I got a contact from Huber that they said should have manuals. Anyway any idea on where that plate might be? Thanks again for the help!

  3. #3willie592009-04-26 23:21

    I guess I missed something here! Are we talking about a "gear box type" transmission? Or are we talking about a "clutch pack type" transmission? If you drained "gear oil" from the drain plug, it sounds like we're talking "gear box" transmission. If so, gear oil is the trick.

  4. #4iceberg2102009-04-26 23:25

    This grader actually has three drive train parts that require different fluid I would guess, although I have the feeling that the lower crankcase is gear oil as well. It has a clutch area complete with it's own filter, that is connected to a transmission area with gear oil and it's own filter by a shaft with two ujoints. Finally there is another shaft with ujoints that connects to the final drive that I would assume has gear oil as well.

  5. #5dirtman552009-04-28 23:06

    I have the same grader, but having a heck of a time getting parts. Anybody got any leads?

  6. #6iceberg2102009-04-28 23:39

    First, WELCOME DIRTMAN! Glad to have you aboard and hopefully we'll be able to help each other with our graders. Anyway secondly Huber should be able to help you with many parts you might need. Here's their website, they are very helpful and can also get you in contact with your nearest dealer who can even further help you. Hope that helps to some sort. By the way do you have any thoughts on the fluids that should go in the clutch pack and final drives? And how do you like your Huber?

  7. #7dirtman552009-04-29 07:06

    Thanks for the come back on parts leads but i didnt get them. I have a parts & service manuals , I'll look up oil specs Call me at 906-371-1163. I got mine last year & like the power & control put 150 hr on it. I need a clutch brake for it & can't get one

  8. #8MalcolmG2011-06-24 23:19

    You guys still on here? I just bought a Huber 1500 and wouldn't mind swapping stories.