Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about towing a CTL??

CCW13 ยท 2016-05-08 20:55

Let me start by saying I've read numerous posts about whats safe to haul and what is also legal. Everyone has a different opinion. I have read the laws and I'm not totally clear on it I honestly tried to call the DOT in my state and they wouldn't give me any information without giving them my drivers license number (my wallet was in my truck) or giving them my social security number. So I ask you all if anyone may know or who has hauled their CTL around. I have a Ram 2500 which has a gvwr of 10k. If I get a trailer with a gvwr of 16k or under will that make me legal to haul whatever I can haul on that trailer? I'll be at the 26k limit. Or do I need to also figure out the total weight with the CTL loaded? I'm thinking about buying a Kubota SVL75-2 or the Takeuchi TL8 or TL10. I worry about hauling them though.

Replies6
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-05-08 21:08

    Don't know about KY, but in MD, you have to have a DOT health card, for anything over 20,000 GCVW. Search your state's laws, sometimes, local groups give seminars, and have a trooper speak, and you can ask them whatever is on your mind. In MD, they then tax you, for what is on your mind...

  2. #2rondig2016-05-08 21:18

    What year is your 2500? Look up your gcwr, tongue hitch weight and that should tell you? If you are buying a gooseneck that number is way better. The gcwr is TOTAL weight of everything. Now as to legal most scale guys go by the tires...if the tires are better than the weight on that axle then you are ok. ....but some of em check the numbers

  3. #3Todd v.2016-05-08 21:22

    You will be real close to CDL territory... I tow a wheeled SS with a 25' gooseneck and am hitting the 24K# mark with a mower and grapple on the trailer. My machine is 7800 without an attachment, the trailer is 5K, truck is 7500 (not a dually), add on a couple of attachments, tools and fuel. If the gcvwr ratings are 26,000 or under you are under CDL territory but if you end up overweight and get checked things could get expensive. Lots of guys with CTLs around here use bumper pull trailers to cut some weight but they aren't nearly as stable to tow.

  4. #4rondig2016-05-08 21:36

    My 2012 dodge diesel has a max gcwr of 20000. And a max trailer of 9650...so a bumper pull trailer is a no for legal. A fifth wheel trailer is better but an svl 75 is 10 000 lbd with bucket... I would say 26000 lbs is no way no how on a srw 2500. Truck probably weighs 6500 lbs + 10000 svl75 + 4500 lbs for trailer...your already over max weight. You need a 3500 dually to handle a bumper pull legal.

  5. #5rondig2016-05-08 21:40

    My little 220 new holland with bucket is just legal with my bumper pull....my c227 is not I have to use my dual wheel 3500 to be legal.

  6. #6CCW132016-05-09 07:51

    My truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi.