Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question Brakes on D5

Rep0144 ยท 2013-01-16 22:30

I got the D5 94J I bought in the shop here at home and started tearing it down, it will need new brake linings, anyone know if I can get them out without removing to many other parts? I have removed fuel tank and seat and looked through the inspection hole and looks like there is room to maybe slide them around and out, I still need to take off the full top plates want to clean it up a little more first. I see in the parts book that they are put together in 3 sections do they have to be separated to remove? My service manual does not show it very good at all, last time I'm buying a reproduction service manual it looks like they forgot to copy several pages. Also found out I can replace both track adjusters springs and cylinders complete units for about $1000.00 using classic Cat parts, I was expecting that much per side glad I was wrong ;-) Any advice would be appreciated. Russell

Replies2
  1. #1Rep01442013-01-19 09:38

    Hopefully this next week I can get some time to see if I can get the brake bands out, been working some 15 hour days so time at home is scarce. I did find that the lining on one band came off and is laying in the bottom so will have to do some clean up. Russell

  2. #2bvfdfire2013-01-21 19:42

    d5 brake pads you will have to take the top section of the lining completely however you can get away with loosening the other portion of the band without completely disassembling it. it is a lot easier when you pull the fuel tank and operator station out as well. good luck!