Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for an old timer

john arianas · 2019-12-10 05:50

I have an obsolete skid loader,.... Brand Make: Skid Steer, ......M/N: 1644,.........S/N:1064 I'm looking for any contact info for parts, or parts manual new or used. The machine was purchased new, it has a 4 cyl Perkins diesel, its chain driven and has served me well for the past 35 years. I broke an axel hub and would like to replace axel, axel hub, and large hub nut, any info would be appreciated.

Replies33
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-12-10 11:43

    Pictures would help.

  2. #2john arianas2019-12-10 14:12

    The best photo I can get of this skid loader is uploaded. The machine broke Sunday in the field in North Carolina, I'm in NY today The make is Skid Steer M/N 1644 S/N is 1064, the truck is early 1980's, can anyone provide info for parts. Thank you.

  3. #3Bls repair2019-12-10 18:27

    Look online may be able to get one made.

  4. #4Andy1845c2019-12-10 22:23

    Pictures of what broke would be really helpful. If its an oddball make that wasn't mass produced I would guess you're going to have to get lucky and find one that been put out to pasture that has the part you need still in good shape, or have the part that broke repaired or remade by a machinist. Always a chance someone here will recognize it and know where one is sitting. Best of luck!

  5. #5Tyler d4c2019-12-10 22:44

    Those where also sold as international and a few other brands d Should be able to find what you need if I'm thinking right

  6. #6john arianas2019-12-11 06:12

    nothing on line

  7. #7john arianas2019-12-11 06:19

    , This is a photo of the axel, it has a woodruff key way that holds a 6 lug tire hub, then a 2" nut that secures the hub. I'm having the hub shipped up and will supply photos when i get. Any suggestions on junk yards to contact? Thank you

  8. #8john arianas2019-12-11 06:20

    Thank you, I'll check international

  9. #9kshansen2019-12-11 07:42

    First off to be way too fussy I don't think that is a Woodruff key: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(engineering)#Woodruff_keys That shaft is a bit nasty looking to be sure, wonder if it would be possible to weld it up a bit then machine back down to standard size? Not sure if that could be done without causing stress risers that would lead to a total failure.

  10. #10Ct Farmer2019-12-11 09:04

    It looks like it has already been welded. Proper repair would be to have it turned down, plasma sprayed then ground to fit the hub. Depending on the hub condition it will need to be sprayed and ground also. A machinist could make a new axle and hub. Cost either way will not be cheap and likely we’ll exceed the value of the machine. Neighbor had same problem with an old Oliver backhoe. Axle and hub quotes were $3k and up to make new.

  11. #11kshansen2019-12-11 09:31

    Also I would add that how long one was expecting this machine to be worth keeping around! By this I mean is it something that you might use for a couple hours a month to push around some dirt or snow. Or are you hoping to start a business digging basements and will be using it 50 hours a week? As I'm assuming the resale value of this machine is next to zero and even if new or very good used parts are probably going to be way too expensive. I would be looking at the cheapest way to get it functional for the short term. How about just finding a disk of say inch thick steel and cutting a hole in the center to fit over the axle shaft then weld it in place. Then drill holes to allow you to bolt the rim to it? It's not like this thing goes down the highway at 60 miles an hour! This could get the machine to the point it was at least usable and give you time to hunt around behind sheds and barns in the area to see if there is another one you could salvage some parts off. In the first post it was mentioned the machine was purchased new, is the dealer still around or even anyone who worked there back in the day? I'd try finding out if anyone else in the area knew some one who also bought one. If your area is like here in Central NY near me there are all kinds of junk just sitting around some old farm buildings. I see things like tractors and such sitting with engines missing or wheels off with weeds and trees growing up the middle.

  12. #12kshansen2019-12-11 09:42

    OK did some searching and found this picture that sure looks like it could be this machine: IH 3200 And then there is what looks like the same machine but with Massey Ferguson 811 model number: Or is that 711??? And even found a video of one working, Says it is a Northwestern Brand machine and seems they were also sold under the Gehl brand-name!

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-12-11 12:37

    Spray welding and turning down is worth a try and not terribly expensive. Was around $300 to do on the shaft for the rotary swing cylinder on my backhoe.

  14. #14Bls repair2019-12-11 12:53

    Zap on welding web does shaft repairs

  15. #15Andy1845c2019-12-11 17:29

    I assume this shaft extends through the chaincase with a bearing holding the other side? Sprocket between the two bearings? The shaft doesn't look that hard to make for someone with a some talent and small machine shop. I'm assuming the sprocket isn't welded onto it or you'd never be able to get it out? If it was my machine I think I would take it out and take it to a few machine shops and see if they thought they could repair or remake it for a few hundred dollars. As others have said the machine is old enough putting thousands into it probably isn't wise.

  16. #16john arianas2019-12-19 02:25

    I really want to thank everyone for their replies its been MOST helpful. It would seem I would have many options now, and yes the machine is worth keeping it has only 250 original hours, not used too often but needed. The truck has no computers, no complications, very reliable and I like it. When it was new it was badly abused causing the breakage, it was temporarily repaired, that was 30 years ago and worked till now. I guess the real issue it; who is the manufacturer. The photos really help perhaps I can back track. This is one of the few skid loaders that I have seen that have a large exterior lock nut holding the hub on to the axel, I thought that would help identify the unit. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP IT IS MOST APPRECIATED!

  17. #17chroniekon2019-12-19 03:20

    Farmland Tractor Supply in Tangent, Oregon is a large wrecking yard for Ag and industrial equipment. Might be worth a call once you know what you have. They are proud of there stuff though!

  18. #18Bls repair2019-12-19 14:21
  19. #19john arianas2019-12-20 06:11

    I truly thank everyone for their responses, its been most helpful. Perhaps someone can recognize and associate the wheel hub w/ a manufacturer

  20. #2056wrench2019-12-21 01:00

    could the hub be machined for a taperlock bushing? then you could re-use the hub.

  21. #21Tones2019-12-21 02:11

    My guess is that a lump of 4140 grade steel could easily be turned down to make that but I hope you have some good use for steel wool.

  22. #22john arianas2019-12-21 02:23

    If I can't find any parts I'll be forced to repair.

  23. #23john arianas2019-12-21 02:32

    Well if anyone is interested I believe I narrowed the search to a Northwestern 81-D machine, parts are going to be a mother story

  24. #24akpolaris2019-12-21 08:27

    Zaps shop was closing down a while back. He may have branched out on his own. Probably not just sitting by the lake this time of year

  25. #25DirtyHoe2019-12-21 08:40

    I was there awhile ago and need some 580C parts. I asked how much for a stabilizer foot pad and he said $150. I asked if he could do better on the price. He replied "Yes $300." Amazing customer service. Steve

  26. #26Bls repair2019-12-21 08:58

    Zap is on his own now

  27. #27Welder Dave2019-12-21 14:26

    What did you expect him to say? You were looking for a better price so he did the exact same thing for himself. He could have said there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.

  28. #28DirtyHoe2019-12-22 11:05

    Welder Dave, I expected him to be polite to his customer. 40 year old used and abused heavy equipment part pricing is subjective at best. His doubling of the price was the same as saying don't let the door hit you on the way out or in other words f-you. You may agree with his response, but it's now way to operate a reputable business. Steve

  29. #29Jonas3022019-12-22 13:47

    I'm afraid parts are just not going to happen Looks like it blew the keyway so the big nut was welded to the hub to keep it from spinning then proceeded to last another 30 years Well I wouldnt be having any parts made get out the welder restore the key slot in the axle as best as you can if if the keyway in the hub is blown have a machine shop cut a new one or do it with a hacksaw and file put her back together weld the nut on better this time for extra insurance and enjoy it for another 30 years

  30. #30Delmer2019-12-22 14:31

    OK, I guess you better get a subscription to Farmshow magazine and start reading the back issues too Jonas302 has it right, that looks like an easy fix if all you need is another 250 hours in the next 30 years. I think the parts are out there sitting somewhere, but it's not cheap to find them and get them removed and shipped, so fix what you have. edit: use a piece of copper or Al in the key slot to weld up the edges. if the whole diameter is worn down loose, weld splines on there, then sharpen them with a grinder. Cut the new keyway in the hub with a cape chisel.

  31. #31Welder Dave2019-12-22 15:08

    Consider his point of view if he has 100 customers a week questioning his prices. He has what you need but somehow isn't reputable because when you asked for a better deal on a part for your 40 year old machine he responded with a higher price. $150 sounds pretty reasonable to me for a likely obsolete stabilizer pad.

  32. #32kshansen2019-12-22 17:38

    And not knowing the guy I could see it as his way of making a joke! I could see me making a reply like that. Then again one of my late mom's favorite shirts had this on the front "Sarcasm Just One of the Services I Provide" and she wore it with pride! Wish I had even half the nerve to tell some people off that she did!

  33. #33Welder Dave2019-12-22 19:27

    The sad part is if he would have said $300 first and when asked if he could do any better responded with $150, he'd be the most awesome sales guy on the planet. Some people like to just give the best price right off the bat. I can understand how those people getting annoyed with customers basically telling them they can do better. They can, they can keep the part and sell it to someone who's happy to pay the price they want.