Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for equipment owners/ operators

Dirtman2007 ยท 2008-05-31 21:19

While Recently working on jobsites where I'm not the only machine around I've noticed alot of things that would really **** me off if that was my equipment. Some of the operators leave all the doors and windows open on all the equipment over night and sometimes over the weekends allowing in to rain and everything inside the equipment. What gets me is that some of this equipment is not that old. I walked over and looked in one the otherday and they leave all the keys in the equipment also I mean on one site there were atleast 15 pieces of equipment with doors open keys in the switch ready for some punk to crank it up and plow it into my equipment A couple times while walking around the jobsite i would just shut their equipment doors for the heck of it and take their key out and put it under the floor mat, so no one who did not need to be on the machine would not mess around with it... These are places with lots of people just walking around. Everyday before I leave I shut all the windows, door, and lock the machine up. I guess my question is do you leave all your windows and door open on your equipment? I know some don't lock equipment up but atleast close it up.

Replies39
  1. #1rino14942008-05-31 21:42

    Every night, I park the machines on level ground in order to check the oil in the morning. I also park it where it is accessible, just in case it won't start and we need to get our service truck near it. I shut all windows and lock all doors. I see guys leave their doors and windows open too. It is a real shame that people treat their machines that way.

  2. #2EZ TRBO2008-05-31 22:14

    We always try to park everything close together for safety and service. More so the service as we are usually in a rock quarry and have gates and padlocks. We will leave keys ON the machine, usually in a spot that the guys that should be running them know where they are(and there are a few guys I make sure I hide my key real good on cause they don't need to be running it). Making sure the windows are pulled down is not only for saftey but making sure you don't have a wet butt come morning!!! I have only ever remembered one big incident where keys in equipment caused a BIG problem. Back when I was about 6 or so some high school kids ended up in a quarry we were crushing lime in. We had a breaker, the lime mill, and a few loaders. They got in the loader and started driving it around and ended up running into and knocking down our lime milll. Landed on the flywheel side and bent the crank on the engine as well as twisting a bunch of steel. Trbo

  3. #3DPete2008-05-31 22:16

    We lock what can be locked and always turn the ground switches off and take the keys. Sounds like they need a tailgate meeting about respecting the equipment that provides their living. Although I've known some owners that don't really care about the equipmet they own, go figure :beatsme

  4. #4Squizzy246B2008-05-31 22:21

    If the owners/supervisors don't set the standard you will get rubbish like that...However, in my opinion, any operator worth his salt will look after a machine properly no matter the deal.

  5. #5trainwreck2008-05-31 22:28

    the guy i work for requires all the equipment to be parked on level ground and in a straight line. that is for servicing and looking professional. and all the key go under the floor mat or you take them home with you depending on what part of town we are in. Also all machines must be clean of water bottles soda cans and any other garbage, and doors and windows closed. if the owner shows up and you dont have your stuff straight and clean you going to get you butt tore up, ater a few time of that he will fire you for it.

  6. #6Dirtman20072008-05-31 22:40

    That's what kills me, they leave the door open and the windshield up in there excavators , it rains overnight, then you see the operator walking around in the morning triyng to find a peice of cardboard to sit on so his but does not get all wet. All the windows are in the machine and not broken, all they had to do is push down on the door handel to shut it ointhead There's one company around here (not naming names) but they can take a brand new cat 320 excavator, use it one year, maybe put 1000 hrs on it and all the pannel doors will be smashed in, so much paint wore off the counterweigh it's not even funny. The operators seat will be worn so bad that the foam is showing through, and atleast a couple windows busted out..... oh yeah about 4" of dirt inside the cab And they wonder why they can't keep good help:Banghead

  7. #7Lashlander2008-05-31 23:27

    Just a little curious. Whats their pay rate?

  8. #8RonG2008-06-01 06:56

    I used to work for a guy that would move an excavator in the rain with the windows and doors open.He didn't like being bothered driving the lowbed and sometimes I could not be there to do it.He would shut down at the end of the day wherever the machine was at quitting time.More than once it caused problems by being low on fuel or not starting and forget checking the oil as they were never level.Their TD-15 was 13 quarts low on oil when I hired on with them and there was not enough oil in three of his company pickups to top it off,I had to add two quarts the next day to reach the full mark. I should have walked right then but I suffered with them for 5 years before I packed it in. Such is life.Ron G

  9. #9Dirtman20072008-06-01 10:13

    I don't know the exact amount but just guessing I would say $8-12 and hour tops for the operators.

  10. #10Burnout2008-06-01 11:40

    Wow that would *^%^ me off seeing windows open overnight. Me and my foreman had a conversation about this the other day. On our site we have a good chunk of new equipment on site. I noticed one of my packer operators left her door open the other night and it rained, too bad for her. We got to talking about how many people around here check their oil, so we watched. The ONLY operator on site to actually check his oil was the guy in the 385. Our of 11 machines on site.....2 get their oil checked. We had quite the tailgate meeting on the subject. Everyone here complains that we have a service truck that comes around and everyday they check our oil. We are deducted half an hour from our time to pay for the lube guys to come around. But if you check your own oil, show up 15-20 minutes early in the morning they give you the half hour back. I say whoever doesn't check oil, clean windows, or close them at night for that matter..... gets a week on a packer. And not one of our new comfy Dynapac's, one of the old ones with a Detroit!

  11. #11tonka2008-06-01 12:09

    We have always parked the machiens in a row, so the fuel guy could get to the fuel tanks easy. Windows and doors closed and all locked up tight for the night. Who wants to sit in a wet seat cuz you didn't close the door and it rains overnight, not me!

  12. #12solar1402008-06-01 12:10

    Why would anyone want to leave a machine open overnight so that they can sit on a wet seat in the morning? :beatsme If I was working on a site where people were leaving machines open with the keys in them I'd be worried some idiot could get in there and trash my machine I don't even leave my machine unattended during the work day with the keys in the ignition. If i found a machine left with the windows open and the keys in it, I'd shut all the windows and door and take the keys with me. Then when the operator was looking for the keys the next day, I'd play dumb like I knew nothing about it :wink2 I always try to park my machine on level ground and in a place where it wont cause a problem if it wont start in the morning. All windows are shut, every door is locked and cab guards go on the windows every night :thumbsup Here's how I leave my machine,

  13. #13Dirtman20072008-06-01 12:25

    Seems like everyone has the same oppinion about how equipment should be left at night. My next question is who checks thier oil on a daily basis? I know that some machines, especially the older ones need that done every morning before start up. But let's say the newer equipment that can go until the next oil change and not use any....you still check it daily? We have a small amount of equipment and each piece of equipment may have a total or 4 different operators throughout it's entire life. I'm usually one the same piece of equipment and pretty much know what that machine does and needs. It's fairly new so I usually check things only a couple times a week. Unlike the old excavator we just sold You better check the oil EVERY morning or it might not make it all day

  14. #14JimBruce422008-06-01 12:42

    :drinkup I agree with that burnout. You can't keep your assigned machine clean and well maintain, you should get the biggest pile of junk on the job for a week. I do my best to sweep out my cab floor every couple days, depending on weather and how much dirt I track in. Windows... is as needed sometimes it's once a week sometimes it can be every day. Every morning, I'm usually pretty good at checking it all. Our company is very good about parking the equipment at night in a line for the fuel guy, "usually" on "level" ground, when we can:usa My opinion even a new machine can have a line burst over night or a belt go bad, so it's not a bad idea to do your walkarounds How about this question... who's good on greasing?

  15. #15Burnout2008-06-01 13:01

    I generally check my oil everymorning. When I first get a machine, I check it daily until I can learn its oil usage. I know my new 973 and old one both need a gallon of oil every 4 days, which is about normal for a track loader, but I check it often anyways. As for my cab, it is cleaner than the day it came from Finning. Like I said earlier it smells good, and as long as it isn't muddy on site, the floor is clean enough that I will take my workboots off and run in my socks all day. Our company actually has parking rules depending on the jobsite. On the larger jobs where we have a big on site fuel tank they are a little more lax about them, but on a site with equipment that can't be shutdown during the day for service we have a night truck that comes around to grease. But as the rules go, all machinery must park in a straight line with all the fuel doors on the same side so the truck can just drive down the row. Those of us in track loaders have to park with our bucket fully dumped so they can get to all the fittings, hoes park curled up, mainline hoes park with no bucket, and so on and so forth. But if we get serviced through the day which is how it usually goes..... basically you see the truck come onsite and everyone makes a mad dash for grease. I normally wait and let him come to me, then you can stand around and shoot the breeze for 20 minutes and no one notices.

  16. #16JDOFMEMI2008-06-01 13:06

    I grew up with it pounded into my head that you should get fired if you start a machine without checking oil and water, and hydraulic, and trans. Granted, if you have a new machine that you know does not use or leak any, you might be able to go without checking for a couple of days, BUT it only takes once for a problem to be missed. I had a 3 month old D-8R that did not use of leak oil, but a sharp operator noticed that over a 2 or 3 day period, each time he checked the oil, there was a little more. We called out the dealer, they took the machine in , and found out the fuel pump was out of whack, and adding fuel to the oil. Not good. The point is, we found the problem while it was small, and before there was enough fuel in the oil to really hurt it. The other thing about checking oil is, you are not just checking the oil, but also looking at things in the engine compartment, like belts, hoses, loose fuel lines, missing rad screen bolts, and a host of other things that can cause big trouble if left to linger.

  17. #17Lashlander2008-06-01 13:12

    Is that the norm for that area? Is the cost of living that low there a guy can make it on that wage? Might that be the reason no one seems to give a hoot about the equipment? Are you serious?You must have different labor laws in Canada. An outfit might get away with that for a while here, but sooner or later someone is going to get disgruntled and go to the labor board with the hours lost documented. Then everyone thats ever worked there would be getting a check. I've worked for a lot of different outfits. Some had oilers and some the operators took care of their own equipment. This is the first time I've ever heard of a company charging the operators to maintain the companies equipment.

  18. #18Dirtman20072008-06-01 14:14

    No that cost of living requires alot more than that to have a decent house/ living. Might be why you see a single wide trailor with 6 people living in it. I might have been a little low on my guess for the operators but for the general loborors $12.00 and hour is max for most people I know. We've hired general laborors a couple times and the labor office only charged $9.00 and hour for them:beatsme

  19. #19Dirtman20072008-06-01 14:21

    I'm pretty anal about greasing things. I've been known to get pretty upset over someone running a machine and allowing the bucket pin to scream for attention. I carry a 12V grease gun with 2 batterys at all times, and one case of grease. On the excavators the main bucket pins get greased at the begining of everyday, and the rest of the machine get greased at around every two fuel fillups. Sometimes I've had to grease the bucket pin 3 or 4 times a day depending on what were doing, usually digging sand requires multiple greasings a day. When I fill up the machine with fuel I usually do a quick check of things.

  20. #20DPete2008-06-01 15:06

    At the end of the day we line the rigs up on the level they are, fueled and fluids checked. When we get to the end of the line turn around and grease on the way back. The machines are ready for the next day. We do not mess around servicing during the work day unless there is a problem like a broken hose or any other breakdown. We do not skimp on grease, fluids or oil changes or any other maintance. We also take a good look for potential problems ( loose bolts,seeping or rubbing hoses etc.) while greasing. You can prevent alot of downtime simply by paying attention to details.

  21. #21Buckethead2008-06-01 15:18

    I was always taught check the fluid levels every day before starting work. If you don't there is a breakdown,(whether fluid level was the cause or not) you will be held responsible, as you should.

  22. #22w2bstoned2008-06-01 15:19

    If yah don't take care of your machine... Who's gonna take care of your paycheck???

  23. #23CM19952008-06-01 15:47

    A while back I had some issues with operators running the machines with the doors open with the A/C on and dust everywhere, spilled drinks in the machines that weren't cleaned up, etc. So I got everybody together at quitting time and asked them which way they would rather have it - 1. A/C enclosed cabs with radios, etc and keep the cabs, glass, etc clean OR 2. Have open cabs where they can have the "windows" open, spill drinks,etc and not have to worry about cleaning the cab I told them it really didn't make a difference to me - I would do whichever they wanted but if we are going to have nice A/C'd cabs and the like, they were going to take care of it. Well the obvious conclusion was made and things changed. As far as checking fluids daily - mandantory every day before start up. Greasing takes place daily on track loaders, rubber tires, skid steers and track hoes. Every other day for dozers, artics. I will not tolerate pulling up on a job and hear a machines pins squeeling. Heavy equipment is quite an investment and a little PM goes a long way in getting the most out of your investment. Standard procedure for shut down at the end of the day is to line the equipment up with the smallest pieces in the middle and the larger ones at the end, to deter theft of the smaller equipment, which is usually more popular to the thiefs. All doors and windows are shut and locked, keys removed and battery disconnect shut off. We don't leave keys on the equipment, every operator has a set of keys for all the machines. If we are in a place that has a lot of teenagers, the vandal guards go on the equipment that has them. Which is usually the more affluent parts of town where we are working in nice neighborhoods. The rich kids seem to be the ones that like to throw rocks.

  24. #24Buckethead2008-06-01 18:28

    I'd rather take some time greasing then listen to squeaky pins.

  25. #25w2bstoned2008-06-01 18:51

    I don't understand why people don't grease... I think some guys get spoiled working for the union when somebody else does it and never want to grease a machine again because they feel its below them??? :Banghead Pins and bushins are to expensive to replace and better yet nobody wants to run a loose machine.., I still can't understand why people don't grease... :beatsme:beatsme:beatsme:beatsme:beatsme:beatsme:beatsme:beatsme

  26. #26Buckethead2008-06-01 22:12

    What do you mean you don't have to grease the equipment if you are in the union? If you are running a big crane you probably will have an oiler, but dirt or paving equipment, forklifts and cherry pickers they don't have to hire one. Some contractors have a grease truck come around and service the machine but there is no rule saying they have to. The operator is responsible for maintenance on the machine, period. It's written into the contract.

  27. #27AtlasRob2008-06-02 14:22

    I have worked for one contractor whos site induction makes it very clear it is instant dismissal / off site for any operator leaving keys in the ignition of unattended plant. Connecting hoses for a breaker, you are in attendance, going to the toilet you are not. Doesn't matter if it is an excavator, dumper, or roller. I know of a site manager who will, and has, removed keys from unattended machines. He doesn't put them under the mat, they go in his office draw when he finally gets back there after his looooooog walk about He finds it is more effective than shouting or screaming about it. Its rather embarrasing to have to go and ask for the keys back and get a little talk from an experienced operator. As for not closing a machine up at night :beatsme, shows a complete lack of respect for the machine, the owner and the driver him / herself ( obviously not an operator ) I dont check my own oil every day, but I never start another machine without checking it. As previously stated you learn traits of the machine you operate every day. Greasing, whole machine twice a week min, bucket link every other day unless busy then its every day. Breaker every hour without fail.:cool2

  28. #28mikef872008-06-02 17:38

    All my guys shut the windows, lock the doors, park in a straight line. In the morning they grease the machine, check the oil, belts, and coolant, they also wipe the machine down. Sometimes i use the vandal shields over the windows depending on where the machine is located. It's cheaper to take care of a machine than to do it over. Scratches will happen in the machine, but the whole counterweight being scratched is ridiculous.

  29. #29bobcatmechanic2008-06-02 20:16

    yeah a tube of grease what $6.00-$8.00 for some cheaper grease yeah you spend a couple hundred dollars or more a year on grease get 2000 hrs or more out of pins and bushings then replace them compared to no grease broken retaining bolts to keep pins in leads to big costly repairs when they work out you don't see it lift dig or what ever and then you have a bent arm pin bushing frame or what ever decides to give first then your machine is down and you don't have any income also whats up with skid steer sized breakers and no one greasing them it takes 2 min when greased up right to top the grease off i have repaired a few breakers and went through a tube to a tube and a half to see grease come out around the bit inexcusable considering those breakers cost about 8500 new i wouldn't like to see the tag on a 20 ton or bigger sized excavator breaker or the repair bill for the prematurely worn out bit and bushings

  30. #30Burnout2008-06-02 23:21

    Our service time is paid back to us. The whole reason for deducting it from our cheque is the fact that we do end up losing a half hour everyday to service whether it be running up to the fuel tank in the middle of the day if you have a track loader. And greasing takes time. I personally don't mind it being deducted from my pay, since I get it anyways. But they do have an option. If you have a problem with service time... your welcome to grease your machine yourself. I like the benefits of a lube truck, if my tracks need adjustment he does it, when my 100hrs is up for an oil change then he does it on site and all filters are kept ant cut open the next day. When my oil change comes due every couple weeks I get an hour to 2hours of downtime that I get paid for where I can go run errands. So I am in favour of it.

  31. #31bear2008-06-03 01:26

    My dozer don't have windows or doors... but the ROPs and sweeps give a good wallop to the nigin if yer not payin attention. I do grease the old girl and check all the fluids every day and I'll check the oil after lunch (you never know...) It's too expensive not to take care of these piles of iron and steel, and getting worse. Operators not closing the doors and windows and not caring for their machine should run the nastiest piece of iron in the pile.

  32. #32levepower2008-06-03 01:55

    ...hehe

  33. #33Burnout2008-06-03 22:32

    I got to see the first hand effects of operator neglect today. Last week when my new 973 went down I was brought a replacement which was actually my old one. My old baby is 1997 or so model with nearly 20k hrs on her. Today my replacement blew up so I was given the other 973 on site. It's a 2000 model and has a cherry 6100hrs on it. I jumped in it and all I could smell was the reek of left handed cigarettes. The cab was filthy and when I pulled the seatbelt out ashes flew all over me. The seat was broken in it, armrest gone and the windows were so filthy I wouldn't have even been able to see shania twain if she was pole dancing off my bucket cylinders. Needless to say I climbed out, jumped in the foremans truck and asked for a better machine. 40 minutes later to my surprise.... my new one came back, all shined up and apparently fixed.

  34. #34JimBruce422008-06-04 20:38

    As I stood in the rain at the end of the day today, I thought of another good one... Shoveling your tracks/helping tracked machine guys shovel theirs. I know we're suppose to if we run track machines and it's sort of expected that most of teh crew will help eachother out. What's everyone else's opinions on cleaning tracks?

  35. #35Dirtman20072008-06-04 20:50

    We try to shovel the tracks on the skid steer everyother day when working in mud. As far as the excavator's they only get shoveled off when the job is done. Working in deep mud the u/c just get's packed full of sticky, sloppy muck and would take atleast an hour to shovel it off by yourself. The following day it will be pack slam full again within 5 minutes. I just don't see the need to spend and hour at the end of the day( by the way it's summertime here and in the high 90's with 90% humidity ) cleaning the tracks just so they can be clean overnight. It's just too damn hot out to be out of the a/c shoveling :cool2

  36. #36bear2008-06-05 04:53

    Shoveling tracks Every day the tracks get shoveled If they really need it.

  37. #37tylermckee2008-06-06 17:52

    The machines i run are clean and locked tight every night, check the fluids every week or two as our machines are pretty new and I am the only one putting most of the time on them. If i see a leak somewhere obviously i will find and fix it and top off if i need to. I only clean out the tracks when the job is done or if its going to freeze overnight. I'm in a lot of rock so most of the time i dont have to worry about digging out mud. I grease everyday if i'm working in rock, otherwise every other day or every tank of fuel. Who else keeps a bottle of windex, squeegee, and a small broom behind the seat? sometimes there is a bottle of armorall back there too.

  38. #38mikef872008-06-06 18:14

    All the machines have windex, armor all, rags, small broom behind the seat. In the winter time I try to paint whatever needs to be painted. My trucks get washed once a week, sometimes more depending on the conditions. We mostly work in the street so they don't get to dirty.

  39. #39Burnout2008-06-06 21:04

    In my track loader there are rags, windex, paper towels, armorall, touch up paint, brake kleen and fantastik cleaner.