My wife and I are moving to the S. Boston, MA area (she got her dream job). Is there anything I need to know before I start sending out my resume? I have 15 years experience running, dozer, wheel loader, excavator, and backhoes. I have experience in underground utilities, demo, and land clearing. A friend of mine said I need a hoisting license (for what I don’t know). We are moving from S. New Jersey, in late July early August. Also if any of you guys know of any openings I would greatly appreciate it. thanks Chris
I don't know about registration and that kind of stuff, but I'd imagine you shouldn't have any problem finding work. There are several large contractors who work out in eastern MA. Looks like you may have to join the union. James W. Flett Company http://www.jwflett.com/home.html W.L. French Excavating http://www.wlfrench.com/default.asp Borggaard Construction...these guys have a massive fleet of massive equipment!!! http://www.borggaard.com/ A.A. Will Corporation http://www.aawill.com/ Testa Corporation http://www.testacorp.com/ Jay Cashman, Inc. http://www.jaycashman.com/ These are just the big guys, but there are a lot of smaller contractors around...good luck with the move!
You do need a Hoisting lic. in Mass. I live in New Hampshire about 40 miles north of Boston, and never work in Mass as an operator so cannot tell you any specifics. Best I can remember if piece of equipment has boom or implement that can be raised 6 ft.(?) you are suppose to have hoisting license.
I'm from Boston, you need a hoisting license. Go to the Massachusetts website www.mass.gov and search for hoisting license you'll need a D.O.T physical and then it takes about 2 months to get the test. Test is mostly safety/ hand signals. Right now theres not much work going on except for utility work. Most of Testa's work is down in Jersey, New York, and Florida. D'Allesandro is a big non union utility contractor around here.
thanks for the info guys :drinkup
JF White and J Derenzo have lots of work from what I hear. They are union so you would have to join to get a job with them. Middlesex is another big non union company that you could look into.