Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for guys that use excavator to “shovel”

SVS · 2026-03-12 06:56

I’m turning a loader bucket into a ditching bucket for my Samsung 210. For this job I expect to shovel more than hoe. The pin to bucket floor geometry is hurting my brain. My digging bucket has about a 30* angle between the pins and the bucket floor. I don't think this bucket would dump at long reach and high elevation. Range of motion looks wrong. I think pins need to be parallel to floor if not angled 30* the opposite direction? I’m considering building ears with three (or more) pin holes to give me some options?

Replies3
  1. #1DDoug2026-03-12 08:22

    Break out the CCAD....Cardboard CAD.

  2. #2SVS2026-03-12 10:19

    We already used one high tech method to figure bucket capacity. I call it WCAGAA. (Welding Chalk Assisted Graphical Area Analysis).

  3. #3SVS2026-03-17 02:42

    After some cutting, grinding and fitting, we got the bucket tacked back together, laid it down, and started welding. We took a strip ~27” wide out of the bucket to maintain spacing of the cutting edge bolt holes. It will be 66” wide and hold about 1.5 yd. (A bit wider AND less volume than I hoped for. One weird thing….when I cut into the triangular torque tube section, it was full of water. I haven’t noticed cracks for water to get in, and I also haven’t seen any signs of freeze swelling. Wasn’t corroded inside either. That compartment WILL have drain holes when it’s done.