Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for the case mechanics

JS580SL · 2010-08-06 19:14

The 06 580M turbo series 2 I run dont seem right in the transmition department. I changed the filter and fluid last month. It has the same strength under a full load pushing but starting of, alot of times theres a delay or bad lag in the trans. When it does do it, its very noticable and irrating when tryin to work real quick. It doesnt seem to do it in reverse. Put the shuttle lever in forward, trans engages, get on the throttle and I can feel the lag, let off the throttle and by that point I can feel somethan slip into place and the lag goes away. It isnt a consistent problem. Sometimes its fine, tends to happen more after the machine been running for a while. It does seem to be getting worse. The machine has 4876hrs on it and they arnt light duty hours either. Any ideas or known problems?

Replies14
  1. #1qball2010-08-07 14:54

    trans is going out, bud. cold, it probably shifts tighter due to thicker oil. hot, oil is thinner, trans slips.

  2. #2JS580SL2010-08-07 16:07

    Kev I get that feeling. Just tryin to pin point what exactly is wrong and save the boss from more problems.

  3. #3gggraham2010-08-07 23:32

    Before you condemn a transmission check the pressures then you will know for sure. Did you pull the suction screen out of the transmission and check it for debris. I have seem a couple of these screens just about plugged with the red sealant they put the transmission together with. The series 3 can become clogged with sealant from the SAHR brake. Noone ever checks this screen when they service the transmission, I have cleaned it off and no problems.

  4. #4willie592010-08-07 23:36

    Well, it's about time you showed up gggraham! bah ha ha ha :tong Good to see your still out there.

  5. #5d4c24a2010-08-08 12:36

    powershift do you have the powershift gearbox in your series 3 machines over there ? mine has done 2800 hrs in just under 3 years, hardly ever use the front bucket a circlip has come off the reverse clutch pack allowing it to "explode" as the dealer put it ,which has damaged the cluch pack housing repairs will be £6500 boss is none to happy and machine has been at the dealer for 10+ weeks as he is trying to get case to pay for parts :Banghead he has spent £250.000 on case equipment in the last 3-4 years ,but is getting no joy ,so the next machine will be a different brand for sure this is it around a year ago cheers graham

  6. #6JS580SL2010-08-12 21:15

    Graham, This is a series 2 if it makes much a difference? Im not a mechanic by any means. When I changed the fluid I just pulled the plug drain the oil. Maybe a dumb question but how do I get to the screen? Even at 2900hrs when I first started running the machine it was a difference in reaction time compared to an L.

  7. #7JS580SL2010-08-12 21:23

    D4, our 580's are totally different here. Over here ur machine would be painted in New Holland colors, we still have a true case 580. Yes you can get a powershift trans as an option which I'd like to have. After plowing snow last winter with a Deere 410G with powershift, so much nicer.

  8. #8willie592010-08-12 21:30

    Here's a pic of the tranny screen.

  9. #9JS580SL2010-08-12 21:44

    Im still a bit lost. Just an operator who makes an attempt to make repairs, haha.

  10. #10willie592010-08-12 21:50

    Just crawl under your machine, I think you'll find that plate (#10) around the bottom of the transmission. Don't know for sure, but you may need to drain tranny oil to remove screen.

  11. #11JS580SL2010-08-12 21:59

    Ok, thank you for the help! See what I find.:usa

  12. #12oldseabee2010-08-12 22:57

    do you have the powershift gearbox in your series 3 machines over there ? mine has done 2800 hrs in just under 3 years, hardly ever use the front bucket a circlip has come off the reverse clutch pack allowing it to "explode" as the dealer put it ,which has damaged the cluch pack housing repairs will be £6500 boss is none to happy and machine has been at the dealer for 10+ weeks as he is trying to get case to pay for parts he has spent £250.000 on case equipment in the last 3-4 years ,but is getting no joy ,so the next machine will be a different brand for sure When I was at Clark, we were told that snap rings (Circlips) on any thing that is spinning should be installed with the sharp edge away from the pressure. Snap rings are stamped out and this causes one edge to be slightly rounded and the other side to be sharp.

  13. #13oldseabee2010-08-12 23:03

    When I was at Clark we were told that snap rings (Circlips) on a spinning shaft should always be installed with the sharp edge away from the pressure. snap rings are stamped out and this causes one edge to be slightly rounded off and the other edge to be sharp.

  14. #14alrman2010-08-14 01:35

    JS580SL, If your machine is a shuttle shift (carraro) I would check the control valve on top of transmission. The broken circlip problem they have often gives that symptom. I have seen big hrs (10k - 15k) on them here with little servicing & they still keep going & going.