Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions for the Case experts

capnkel ยท 2010-08-06 09:32

I have a chance the pick up a complete working rear transmission/differential assembly complete with axles,gears,brakes,differential lock,etc,from a parted out 580ck. My tractor is a 530ck.I has a cracked axle housing thats been welded rather poorly.Id like to know if i could just split mine at the torque tube,and swap in this unit from the 580. I looked at the Case online parts,the differential housings are different part #s ,but i suspect its because mine does not have the differential lock,and the 580 setup does. I need to split mine soon anyways to fix the synchronizer rings,if the 580 is a direct fit,i could check it all out,brakes,bearings,etc,and have it ready to bolt up after i fix the mechanical shuttle on mine. Has anyone done something like this,or know if it will work??? If it will fit,it would make things easier fixing the cracked axle housing,getting the brakes done,and add the differential lock to mine,plus give me a few spare parts to either sell or keep.

Replies6
  1. #1capnkel2010-08-11 09:52

    Wow,i really thought someone here would know if i could bolt up the 580 rear end to my 530.I was hopin g someone here would know if it will mate up,ATCO,Phil ,anyone??????

  2. #2gggraham2010-08-14 20:16

    The axle housing of a 530 is the same as a 580, and the front covers and side gears are the same. I've never heard of them swapped but by looking at the parts I'd say you have nothing to worry about. You might try getting a hold of http://www.sewlparts.com/ They are excellent with used parts for Case and may have had experience with this.

  3. #3willie592010-08-14 20:27

    I just now spotted this thread. Don't have much experience with the CK myself. gggraham, phil, goose, and alrman would know much more about these machines. Good to see your still out there gggraham.

  4. #4alrman2010-08-15 01:18

    For the record I am old, but not as old as ATCO or old enough to have had any 530 experience - sorry capnkel - not much help here - don't even recall ever seeing one .........:beatsme

  5. #5gggraham2010-08-15 10:05

    I have a lot of Case experience but the 580ck and 530 were before my times too. BUt after looking at parts diagram I am pretty sure it should work. Well the axle housing appears to be the same part # so probably just swap out cracked housing. Off on holidays for a week so I'll check back in 7 days.

  6. #6capnkel2010-08-15 10:56

    I'm not THAT old either,my Case is a whole year older than i am,lol.When i bought it i never noticed the crappy weld job on the axle housing.The only other place theres a weld on my machine is the top of the dipper where the cylinder rod attaches.I can go 2 ways,i can get just the axle housing,a local guy is parting out a 530,or get the 580 complete rear assembly for about double the cost of the axle housing.Doing the rear swap would gain a diff lock,and a chance to check/overhaul the brakes befor i split the tractor,plus i would have a few parts to sell,bull gears,side gears,brake assemblies,etc, to recoup my initial parts cost.I think i will contact the guy to grab the rear assembly.Now i need to order a few gaskets,and the synchronizer.After i finish resealing the hoe cylinders,and doing the swap/tranny work,the ole girl will be getting a new coat of paint.She wont win any awards for looks right now,but it works and runs great,just has a few leaks here and there,and using the loader with the syncro not staying in place in forward gear is a challenge to say the least.