Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for the crane operators

See.Jay ยท 2016-10-05 05:00

Hi all, just joined the forum to see if someone can shed some light on a matter that might be an obstacle later on in my construction career. I'm about to start school through Job Core, I'll learn all the basic operations of the machinery commonly used on job sites and so on. My real interests revolve around crane operations, and I plan to go after my certificate as soon as I get a few years of experience on the ground. I have a slight case of Deuteronomy (red-green color deficiency), I know what all the colors are and I can distinguish between red and green all day at normal distances, it's things at a far that I have trouble with. I'm looking for any info as to what color vision tests are given nowadays for those looking to get their operating certification. Ishihara cards kill me, does anyone know if such are used for the color vision testing? Any info helps, thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Knepptune2016-10-05 07:15

    The only color tests I know of are on the cdl test. If you can pass your cdl tests you should be good. And yes you'll need a cdl.

  2. #2Buckethead2016-10-05 20:37

    I don't think you need a cdl for crawlers or RTs. You may have to pass the edl physical if your state license requires it.

  3. #3Buckethead2016-10-05 22:22

    *CDL physical not "EDL"

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-10-06 16:37

    Good crane operators are operating blind much of the time. The best ones have good radio ears and even able to interpet bad signals from the load end of the pick.