Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on Rolloff / Hooklift Hours / Miles

rossaroni ยท 2014-02-18 09:10

I'm looking to add a truck to the fleet, and am leaning strongly towards a deadlift rolloff or a hooklift. I'm too dutch to buy a new one, so I'm looking to buy used, probably at auction. My question is for those who run them: What is the relationship for hours to miles on these? Doing the math, I am looking at approximately 20 mph on average (which makes sense) OR 50 MPH (based on highway truck miles), which seems way high considering stopping, dropping, picking up, traffic, etc. The difference is only a million miles at 20000 motor hours. Any insight on this?

Replies3
  1. #1barklee2014-02-21 19:40

    Our hook lift roll off has 679,000 miles and about 3500 hrs on the pto. That would be about 194 Miles/ hr. Not sure if the meter has been replaced or not though....... dont think so.

  2. #2joispoi2014-02-23 03:38

    There's not really a reliable straight answer to your question. 30 mph is probably closer to the average. I would want to know what the actual engine hours are. It's much more important in figuring overall wear than mileage. Also, it's helpful to know what the truck was used for by it's previous owner. If the truck spends half it's time jockeying overweight containers around in a yard, it's going to have much more wear per recorded mile than a truck that runs 1 hr round trips.

  3. #3Wolf2014-02-28 17:30

    :usaAlso, did it haul demolition debris and get smacked around during loading, or was it more clean soft debris?:usa