Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on steering pedals on JD 450g with torque convertor

lobo ยท 2011-02-21 07:43

I have a ? about steering pedals. This is a 450g with torque convertor. To make a turn I have to apply about 25 to 30 pounds pressure. She will spin on a dime if that much pressure is applied but I thought she would start a turn by just pushing down on pedal without actually engaging brake. It does not bother me to apply that much pressure as long as that is the way its suppose to be. She runs very good. Started up easy this morning at around 28 deg. I may need a water pump. Coolant light came on a couple of times. Light did not stay on just a flicker. At a certain rpm I can hear a chatter that sounds like water pump going bad. Besides trying to find a rebuilt one at a dealer who is good for parts for these tractors. Thanks again for everyones help.

Replies6
  1. #1NWH2011-02-21 12:49

    That`s about what our 450G LGP is like. I used to have a 450G lever steer and it was much easier I think because of the length of the levers.

  2. #2lobo2011-02-21 14:03

    Well that makes me feel better, I have a week to try this machine before I buy. Those long levers would give you a lot more leverage. I try to baby all my equipment and it just seems hard on the drive train to have to lock one side up to turn. If that is the way it works, fine with me. I worry too much.

  3. #3ETMF 58 White2011-02-21 15:34

    I've run both and own a lever steer now. Didn't think I would like it, and sometimes between steering, shifting, and blade control all at once I find I need a third arm, but it has grown on me especially as I get older and my knees won't take what they used to take. That said, I think I could take a pedal steer and outwork a man on a lever steer-- for one day, anyway. Don't worry about the water pump; you can get a water pump rebuild kit from JD pretty reasonably. Much cheaper than a reman.

  4. #4lobo2011-02-21 19:26

    Thanks 58, I have very bad knees myself. I am buying this dozer to finish up an already two year project. I still work full time so weekends and few evenings a week should not bother me too bad.

  5. #5hthunder2011-02-22 06:36

    On my Cat D3B you have to have the pedals adjusted just right to get the clutch pack to release and the the brakes applied. If the clutch is not fully releasing the brakes are hard to hold in a turn. The brakes may be getting a little hard and glazed causing them not to hold as well.

  6. #6Temu2011-02-22 10:33

    lobo...that's why I ALWAYS drive uphill...steers so much easier!