Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on Undercarriage Rebuild

Clampet · 2026-02-23 22:53

Has anyone had any good info on aftermarket D6R and D8R undercarriage parts. We have 3- D6 and 3- D8 Dozer that we need to rebuild undercarriages. DCF? ITR?, CAT OEM? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1Coaldust2026-02-23 23:05

    Don’t tease me with a good time, Clampet. You supply the prescription pain killers, Zyn and alcohol, and you can count on me for six complete U/C overhauls. I’m your huckleberry. I’d go with Caterpillar and/or Cat Legacy. Give your Butler PSSR something to do.

  2. #2Shimmy12026-02-24 01:08

    @nicky 68a Im sure you can tell @Clampet your opinions on this. I put ITR on my 1150G a few years ago. For only having about 500 hours on it, I'm a little disappointed in the wear so far. It doesn't live a charmed life, it's an LGP that has to suffer hard, uneven ground a fair bit, and it spends a lot of time pushing out gravel, so I can't blame the undercarriage. I do know this, when it's time for undercarriage on my D6N, it's going to get Cat OEM rails.

  3. #3nicky 68a2026-02-25 01:41

    Good morning. Cat is generally the longest lasting in my specific operation of low impact high abrasion. It’s also the most expensive per hour though. ITR has been deceant all round. ITM has consistently given me best value by far on D5 to D8 tractors. DCR is the cheapest option to purchase,but the machines would be better off sold at that point. Generally speaking,ITM are my preferred option (if I can source them).

  4. #4gggraham2026-02-25 08:07

    ITR is OK but don't expect the life to be as good as OEM. ITR isn't bad undercarriage for dozers but expect about 60% - 70% life as compared to OEM. We have had trouble a number of times with leaky front idlers.

  5. #5nicky 68a2026-02-25 08:58

    Yes,I’ve had 2 leaking ITM idlers on D5H tractors and 2 sheared CAT rear idler shafts on D9T tractors with rippers. I used to like Berco for my D8H/K scraper tractors 30 years ago,but only hear bad things about Berco these days

  6. #6Martin702026-02-25 20:13

    I tried ITR on my D6, it was worn out much to early, so I went back to OEM Cat parts on the last rebuild.

  7. #7CM19952026-02-25 20:30

    Not a dozer but I put ITR rails on my 321DLCR and within 1000 hrs it already has a couple of wallowed out pins. The original Cat UC lasted over 6K hours for reference. Put a Cat UC on my 953C back in '21 as result of the dismal results of the ITR.

  8. #8Shimmy12026-02-25 21:05

    I put ITR on a Case 210C, has about 2000 hours and I've had to tighten the rails at least 4 times per season, I'm not sure they will make 3000 hours. The original Case rails made 5100. My thoughts at this point are even if I put OEM rails on, will they be as good as the originals, or will they only be slightly better than the ITR...

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-02-28 20:30

    I wonder if certain parts from one supplier might be as good or better than another for less money and if anyone ever mixes different brands of components to save money? OEM rails with aftermarket pads or rollers, idlers etc.? I went with one supplier/brand but could have saved a little buying the exact same individual components from 3 suppliers. It wasn't worth the hassle in my case but on a big machine could save a lot mixing and matching certain components from different brands. Berco was more than Cat but Cat never gives you the best price unless you haggle with them. Also depends on who you talk to. Doesn't make you feel very important as a customer. I get that big outfits get a discount but why not just give smaller customers the best price you can the first time? A price that anybody in parts could give that's the same? I hate when I go into a place to get something rather common but have to talk to a specific person to get a price. If that person is away you're hooped because nobody else has a clue. It's frustrating!

  10. #10gggraham2026-03-01 07:21

    I worked for a local company that supplied aftermarket parts for everything. I mean engine parts, electrical, undercarriage, filters, oils, hydraulics cylinder seal kits etc. The undercarriage was so cut throat. Sometimes we could supply undercarriage spread over 3 or 4 companies. Like ITR, TTP, Equipment Sales, KTSU. Only to find out that Case, John Deere or Cat had beat our price with OEM parts. We were making anywhere from 3% to 10% on undercarriage. It was basically a way to get business in the door for other sales. If I needed undercarriage my best advice is shop around everywhere. Even OEM dealers as some ( at least here in Ontario) will sell undercarriage for competitors machines. The one factor that makes a huge difference is shipping. Undercarriage is heavy and shipping costs can add up quickly. Some aftermarket suppliers will ship free after a certain dollar value. OEM and ASftermarket may ship free but FOB their location. You don't want to order undercarriage from a supplier only to find out you get a $500-$1000 freight bill. So when you order ask about any shipping costs.

  11. #11nicky 68a2026-03-01 08:50

    The price of undercarriage parts never ceases to amaze me.They can differentiate alot. Now things have gone quiet in the UK economy,Finnings are offering Cat tracks down by a half in some instances.This can prove difficult to obtain from them as a small operator,but it’s there none the less. It certainly means it’s worth considering Cat as an option to non oem when the gap has narrowed from outrageous to reasonable. I suspect you chaps in the States and Canada have much better competition between Cat dealers as you have a choice. We only have Finnings.

  12. #12DDoug2026-03-01 08:54

    Ya got a boat dontcha ?

  13. #13nicky 68a2026-03-01 09:04

    Well DDoug,I wish it were that simple. Might be feasible to buy a complete 40’ container of D8 u/c parts and float them over the pond,but that’s all above my pay grade

  14. #14Welder Dave2026-03-01 18:03

    I'm not sure if Cat let's other dealers sell in an exclusive territory? We have Finning in Alberta. The JD dealer sold aftermarket as well. I had a 4 places that all sold the same aftermarket undercarriage. The prices for the same parts varied quite a bit. I could have saved a couple hundred bucks but not worth the hassle going to different suppliers.

  15. #15CM19952026-03-01 18:10

    They do in the US. If I do a job in Georgia and need parts I can go to Yancey and buy whatever I need. Cat even has the "Cat card" for nationwide contractors to use at any local Cat dealer for rentals, parts, etc. We have one and recently put repairs on a 321DL and D5G. It's 24 months interest free. Slam dunk to use their money. FWIW on the thread topic - I'm not going with aftermarket again. I'll wait until Cat runs an undercarriage sale and buy OEM.

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-03-01 18:17

    There used to be an unauthorized Cat dealer here (Ed Miller Sales and Rentals) that got parts from a dealer in the states and sold them for less than the authorized Cat dealer. They operated for years. I think near the end Cat put a stop to it but what really killed them was they were selling parts of off stolen machines.