What is a general cost to have the track speed sensors replaced? TY
Why not replace them yourself and save yourself the labour cost.? It's not difficult. You remove the tin covers at the back of the machine below the fuel tank and you are looking right at them #16 & 16A in the illustration. Part Number should be 360-0453. Your machine probably has the former 183-4584 sensors installed. Why are you wanting to replace them.? If you have Fault Codes relating to the sensors they could just as easily be caused by wiring problems in which case replacing sensors will not fix the issue and leave you out of pocket.......
A longtime friend was using my dozer and it started tracking badly, he took it to a shop and they charged 4k which I thought was absolutely ridiculous but he paid for it, so. I was just looking for opinions since I have no idea. TY
If (and I personally have no idea what the invoice for the work actually says) that was all the work that was done then take whatever is the price of the sensors, maybe $250-300 each I dunno. Add on say 4 hours of labour for diagnostics & sensor replacement @ $150/hr. Even if the sensors are $500 each and it was 8 hours of labour it still doesn't add up to $4k. You do the maths.
Sounds a little steep for just charging the sensors. They would also have probably performed a calibration. There may have been a little excess of time in either diagnosing the miss track or diagnosing a failed calibration after. Hopefully they have a little better explanation on the bill than just replace speed sensors..
Charged $4K for what? What did they do for $4K?
I thought it was a bad deal, sounds like confirmation, Thanks guys
I'd love to see the invoice.......
I will attempt to figure out how to take pic with fone and send to you, I would rather send it with no name of company on it. give me a day or so. Thank you for the replies and knowledge Nige.
Send it to me by PM if you like. No names, no pack drill.
Hey Nige, I sent you a PM I believe. Thank You.
Got it. Thanks. Does anyone have a current Cat dealer price for a 360-0453 Speed Sensor.?
$333.06 USD
Thank you very much for that. Could I also trouble you for prices for a 102-8804 Receptacle Kit and 4 x 9X-3401 Pin please. It appears as though a connector upgrade is required to install the 360-0453 sensor on to the original machine harness which I failed to spot the first time around.
9x3401 $1.71 USD each
102-8804 $7.72 USD
Again, thank you. So $333.06 + 7.72 + 4 x 1.71 = $347.62 per sensor. I'm going to let the OP comment on that.
Since the invoice showed $915 for these parts, I say they marked them up a LITTLE.
We still haven't got to the bottom of whether the shop who did the work installed one new speed sensor or two. Everything on the invoice says sensor (singular) as opposed to sensors (plural). I would suggest that before piling derision on the shop it might be more prudent to wait until the OP removes the covers on the back end and reports back.
Shouldn't the invoice have everything in detail what was done? I'm not sure if there's much recourse if a Cat dealer is over charging on parts. I can see small differences between dealers but this appears to be hundreds? Wondering if the dealer normally treats smaller customers like they won't know what the parts are worth?? Seems pretty shady on top of already premium Cat parts pricing.
It wasn't a dealer. Jumping to conclusions again...........
Not jumping to conclusions. Never saw the invoice to know where it was from. Even so if the shop that did the work normally deals with a Cat dealer, they should be getting a discount on parts so they can make a decent mark up and sell the parts for close to what the Cat dealer does not hundreds more.
Yes you were. You immediately assumed it was a dealer who did the work. The way it was written your post could not have been interpreted any other way. The word "dealer" appeared 3 times in 4 lines. Kindly refrain from commenting further until the OP comes back with more of the story.
Not really if they replaced both sensors. $335 + tax per sensor, X2 sensors is almost $800. 10-20% markup on parts is not extreme IMO. Our standard markup on labor, equipment and materials is 17-20%. Reganj did they replace just one sensor or both? FWIW my price at 360-0453 is $342.67 + tax at my dealer.
Looks like both sensors were replaced, hard to see right hand side but took pictures with phone and I believe both were replaced. Thanks to all for replies. Still not happy with the amount spent but I guess that is how you learn which shop treats you right and who does not.
As I said earlier the OP shared a copy of the invoice with me. Below I will try to summarize it in an attempt to put things into a logical order. Prior to sending the tractor to this shop it had been experiencing tracking/control issues and on the basis of advice (not from this shop) the OP had installed a new OEM replacement joystick assembly. Scope of Work 1. Investigate leak on exhaust manifold. 2. Install grease hoses (customer supplied) to C-frame. 3. Calibrate joystick. Work done 1. Checked & identified exhaust leak. Customer declined further work. 2. Grease hoses installed. 3. Removed covers and installed new speed sensor. (How exactly the shop got from "calibrate joystick" to "install new speed sensor" is not explained.) Pricing $915.77 - Receptacke Kit, Pin, Sensor (note all singular so it was not obvious whether or not two new sensors were installed) $2805.00 - 25.5 hours labour @ $110/hr. $27.50 - 0.5 hours tech @ $55/hr. $56.22 - Shop supplies/environmental charge. $262.38 - Tax (I'm assuming here that the tax is for all the items including parts) I'll let others express their opinions first.
Joystick was originally replaced because the speed buttons would not let the dozer go any faster than lowest setting. Thought was the microswitches were worn, Replaced with OE Cat joystick(not by shop) and shop calibrated it and was told speed sensor was either out or going out. Shop was told to replace both sensors by two different people. If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to explain but I believe Nige has done an excellent job reguarding. Thank You.