Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 450G missing 2nd

rlgibbsjr7 · 2024-01-11 22:03

I have a 1992 john deere 450G Direct drive transmission Non turbo Back story. I bought the dozer at the the height of the pandemic when things were outrageous and over priced. This machine was extremely neglected! The engine had a spun rod and main bearing. The guy also said 2nd gear didn't work. Since I have bought a new motor Re packed all cylinders Replaced trunnion and fixed boat loads of other problems. The dozier currently is running well but second gear is indeed not working. If you shift Into second you can feel a slight shudder like it wants to grab and then it just acts like it's in neutral (this happens in 2nd gear forwards and reverse) All other gears seem to work as they should. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-01-12 01:21

    Welcome to HEF rlgibbsjr . I suspect best case scenario that the second speed pressure tube has cracked. See screenshot below from Deere‘s online parts catalog. A pressure test would be the first step. “G“ series Direct drive transmission pressure spec is 185 +/- 15 psi @ 1500 rpm. .

  2. #2rlgibbsjr72024-01-12 07:53

    Thanks for the response. I'll will pick up a gauge and check that!