Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question regarding Caterpillar part numbers

edgephoto ยท 2020-01-16 00:37

I have a Cat. 426 that I am doing some work to. I have noticed that there seems to be two numbering schemes for Cat parts. One is what I have been using and it what is in my parts manual. It is a number then letter followed by 4 numbers ie. 1B2345 I have also seen a 7 digit number used for Cat parts. Three numbers dash 4 number ie. 123-4567 Can anyone enlighten me on the numbering scheme and if there is a cross reference for the two numbers?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2020-01-16 06:04

    What you have in your examples above are "old-style" Part Numbers and "new-style" ones. Initially way back in "Year Dot" Cat started by using Part Numbers in 1B-2345 format (including the dash is the correct form), but they ran out when they reached 9Y-9999 some time during the 1990s IIRC. The newer style 123-4567 numbers were then introduced, basically starting at 001-0001. Right now the latest 7-digit numbers being issued are very close to 600-xxxx if I'm not mistaken. What Cat plan to do when the latest series runs out at 999-9999 will not be my problem - I'll be retired by then. There is no cross-reference between the two sets of numbers. If a 1B-2345 number is still current then that's what a dealer would supply. If a part with an older 1B-2345 number was replaced today, the replacement would have an xxx-xxxx number. The former Part Number would then be cancelled. However if you went to a dealer and asked for the former cancelled number the system would throw up what is known as "cancelled/replaced by" and direct the Parts Counter guy to the new number. Any current Parts Manual for a machine will contain Part Numbers that are a mixture of both old-style (because they are still current) and the new style (because they are either newly-designed parts since the introduction of the xxx-xxxx Part Numbers or they are replacements for cancelled old-style Part Numbers). See the attachment. In the online system clicking the orange "NPR" hyperlink will open another screen showing any former Part Number that might exist, and also a link to any service documentation relating to parts upgrades.

  2. #2edgephoto2020-01-17 01:05

    I appreciate the explanation. It explains why my machine seems to have all 6 digit numbers. It is a 426 from 1989. I did notice a few parts number like seal kits that are the 7 digit variety. I was curious is Caterpillar had two lines of parts or two numbering schemes. Years ago I worked for Ford and they have Motorcraft numbers and long parts numbers for many of their maintenance parts. The dealers use the long numbers and the independents use the Motorcraft number.

  3. #3Nige2020-01-17 04:13

    I'd guess that the 7-digit all-numeric Part Numbers were just starting to make an appearance when your machine was built. You may well find that if you try to buy a 6-digit alpha-numeric part number that is listed in your Parts Manual that Cat has serviced/upgraded the Part and the replacement has a 7-digit number.

  4. #4edgephoto2020-01-18 11:35

    @hige So far that has not happened. That's why I asked because I see stuff being sold and someone lists them with 7 digit number and the 6 digit too. Now I know that part has been superseded to a newer number. Great info. I meant to ask the dealer the last few times I was there. I forgot.

  5. #5Nige2020-01-19 12:24

    Unless the parts counter guys at your local dealer branch are long-termers you'd probably been rewarded with a blank stare......