Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questionable video’s online

Welder Dave · 2023-10-05 00:28

It's been mentioned many times it can be hard to know what advice to follow when looking for suggestions on the internet. I was looking for some tips on mounting very small pneumatic tires on my finish mower. I've heard the small wheels can be a real PIA. Some weren't bad, some the guy doing it wasn't really sure what he was doing and totally left out the hardest part he had trouble with. LoL What I found the most shocking is only a couple of them the guy was using proper tire irons. All the others they were using screwdrivers. I guess if you want a better chance at wrecking the tire or tube use a screwdriver. One guy was hammering on a screwdriver to break the bead. I guess they just want to post a video whether it's good or bad.

Replies24
  1. #1OzDozer2023-10-05 04:41

    I reckon there's only about 1 in 10 internet how-to videos, that provide any useful or accurate advice.

  2. #2MG842023-10-05 07:36

    The problem with looking to online videos, or even forum posts, is you need at least a little knowledge of the subject to determine who knows what they are talking about. Many of us know enough about various subjects to sort through the BS and find useful information whereas Harry Homeowner is just blindly following whatever he see’s online.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2023-10-05 08:08

    You should see some of the how to videos for working on guns. Makes me cringe. Lol

  4. #4Old Doug2023-10-05 08:18

    At the tire shop i worked at we clamp a rod in the vice standing strait up then slid the wheel over it like mounting it on a spindle then we have 2 big blunt screw drivers . To remount it you have to clamp vice grips on the rim to help keep it in place. If i was you i would have them mounted were i bought them. Its very easy to do for some one like me that has done hundreds of them but if you havent pay to have it done .

  5. #5thepumpguysc2023-10-05 09:25

    U ain’t kidding Dave.!! The inj pump videos make my head hurt.!! I can only watch a minute of them.. I just don’t understand WHY u would post a video of yourself looking like a complete idiot.?? Some of them have been REAL GOOD for MY business tho..

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-10-05 17:02

    I found the best price on the tires at a farm type store but they don't mount them. There's some bad welding advice on the internet too. Any suggestions of welding a gas tank shouldn't be posted at all unless it included steaming the tank or dunking it to remove any and all traces of gas. It's really irresponsible and lots of people get in a hurry and miss that one really important detail.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-10-06 00:07

    I went to a friend's motorcycle shop and got some help with the tires. I'm glad he was in a good mood. Sometimes he's crabby and you don't want to be around him. It probably helped I said I'd help him get his backhoe boom cylinder apart so it can be resealed. The wheels were too small (5") for his tire machine. I managed to get the old tires off and the new tires and tubes on except for the last beads. Putting the tubes in such small tires is murder on your knuckles. It needed 2 people to get the last bead popped over the rims. A vice grip may have helped but they're on. It would have helped a lot if there was a way to hold the wheels.

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-10-06 05:42

    Most videos are produced by the "everyone is a mechanic" armed to the teeth by Harbor Freight & Salvage along with the Craftsman 99 piece "Mechanics Tool" set. The real "Mechanic/Technician is too busy working at getting a job done plus making a living to bother with videos.

  9. #9kshansen2023-10-06 06:00

    One question I have is do people get paid for some of those "how-to" videos? Is there some formula that for every so many views they get paid $1.00?

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-10-06 06:12

    Yes to part of that, exact formula I don't know. Depends on how many hit's/ likes it garners plus subscriptions & ads.

  11. #11JD955SC2023-10-06 12:44

    I love my guns but I despise every aspect of “gun culture”. Mostly morons.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-10-06 13:08

    It can be really lucrative. Apparently Lanse aka chuckie 2009 (I think that's what he used to go by) made enough to buy a house, shop and smaller farm or acreage, 100,000's of thousands. He also received a lot of free products to do reviews on. Some was expensive welding equipment. At some point the rules were changed where you didn't get paid as much for the commercials on your video's. Lanse had a huge following despite knowing very little and flying by the seat of his pants. He lost a lot of followers and stopped posting for several years because of some really awful anti semitic tirades. I happened to come across some recent video's of his about fixing an old backhoe.

  13. #13wlhequipment2023-10-06 14:00

    and then there's this F'n guy... yeah that's actually me

  14. #14Mobiltech2023-10-06 14:44

    Those who can ,do. Those who can’t ,make videos.

  15. #15_Weldman_2023-10-06 15:13

    I don't make how-to videos, I just show the process of how I got it from point A to B. To say one can't due to they make videos is poor dogma, just have to sift through the BS just like finding information online or on this forum. This is my channel/videos in my signature. Been there done that, got the tee shirt and going to do more... Follow along if you want! Can't say I can't cause I made a video of what I could do and did.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2023-10-06 16:21

    I watched alot of his stuff when I was 16-17 forgot all about him till I read this

  17. #17JD955SC2023-10-06 16:48

    When he still lived in Ohio he had an awesome channel. I really liked his exploration of the welding world. Well done videos and a lot of cool stuff shown. When he moved to TX it all changed, and not for the better.

  18. #18nowing752023-10-06 18:19

    There are a few people on youtube that make videos of what other youtube people make. Its amazing you can make a living doing it if you know what you are talking about. I watch every night after the girlfriend goes to sleep. Some very smart guys willing to give free knowledge. South main auto is a good one for diag and western truck and tractor guy is always good to watch.

  19. #19Truck Shop2023-10-06 19:40

    Here's a questionable video, didn't even know my wife was videoing/thought she was taking photos, yeah anyone can do it, but some subject is better than others. *

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-10-06 20:16

    I guess people could relate to him but most of the time he wasn't really sure what he was doing and basically just experimenting. I don't think he could explain too much about how things work or the theory behind them but hats off to him for making a (good) living making video's and not having to work. He got pi$$ed at what was supposed to be a welding job but he didn't get to do any welding. After that he was completely turned off of working for someone else. He racist tirade from several years ago angered a lot of people who followed him. Several members on the Welding Web were really rooting for him to get a welding apprenticeship. One member (CEP) who I was great friends with (although I never met him) even sent Lanse some welding equipment he had bought just to help Lanse out. I'm sure he regretted it after Lanse's tirade. Sadly Carl passed away a couple years ago. He was probably the most liked member on the WW and is very missed.

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-10-06 20:27

    That's not questionable at all. I'm sure if there were video's of all the steps in the build you'd have a zillion followers and could have made a few bucks too.

  22. #22nowing752023-10-10 13:25

    wish i could talk my uncle out of his B model with a 6v53.

  23. #23IceHole2023-10-10 13:48

    I hate trying to find suggestions on how to do something and have to skim a 30min video for maybe 45 seconds of actual info. Replaced the headlight housings on a 97 F350 a few days ago. I could have made a minute long video showing the steps vs the ones with ads, sponsors, fluff, b/s, etc.

  24. #24Welder Dave2023-10-10 14:04

    Some of them may have good info you're looking for but there's way too much fluff and useless stuff it's painful to watch. I can't remember what it was about but 1 video about fixing something or going to look at something had 5 to 10 minutes of the guy just driving to the location. Then like was mentioned the info you were interested in is about a minute long. Get to the point of the video. Speaking of Lanse, most of his early and even later video's contain way too much useless content nobody cares about or needs to see. On the other hand some people skim through the important parts they're trying to explain, like showing how to do a weld but not chipping the slag off to see what the weld actually looks like.