Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions about a gap in my resume as an operator

stevencodding · 2019-03-26 19:11

In 2010 I had to start caring for my grandmother after she was diagnosed with dementia; now her condition has advanced enough to the point where I can no longer care for her. I have a total of nine years of experience as an operator, front end loader five years, dozer two years, forklift one year, skid steer one year. I would really like to return to the field, but I am concerned about the gap in my resume. Are there any recommendations any one here could offer or advice on how to get back in the industry? Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Replies24
  1. #1Junkyard2019-03-26 19:22

    I’d say right now it wouldn’t matter much at all. You can have/make a sparkling resume but if you can run the machine it doesn’t matter. Most places seem to take an operator as his/her word. Doesn’t take long to size one up once they’re in a machine. I would account for the gap like you have in the post and go from there. Around here there are plenty of jobs so I don’t see it being an issue.

  2. #2stevencodding2019-03-26 20:21

    Most of my experience is also in the logging industry but I have a good feeling I could figure out how to feed a crusher, load trucks ect without any issues. It may take an hour or so to shake the dust off my skills but I am confident I could figure out most situations without an issue.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-03-26 20:46

    The truth will set you free, be honest, and explain that you took care of your grandmother. Honesty and good family values might get you further, than the perfect resume. The skill set, to operate heavy equipment has not changed all that much, in the last 9 years, unless you count all the stupid emissions equipment and electronics that cause the mechanics misery! Good luck, and god bless!

  4. #4Junkyard2019-03-26 20:49

    The same experience and ability applies to most operating scenarios. I think you’d be fine. If a ham fisted mechanic like me can run a drill rig I think you can land the space shuttle! Haha

  5. #5AzIron2019-03-26 22:08

    Around here you could be employed by friday at the mere thought that you know how to start a machine

  6. #6stevencodding2019-03-26 23:23

    Really...? That is crazy I from AZ too so that is huge vote of confidence haha. Thank you!

  7. #7Junkyard2019-03-26 23:40

    Just about that bad here in the four state area.

  8. #8Mother Deuce2019-03-27 03:29

    The mining industry is dying to see happy faces. A lot of them will put you in a haul truck for 6 months. All you need is a little "want to," a ability to adapt to the funky schedules and the ability to obey their safety rules to the letter. Incidently, good on ya for takin' care of your Gram!

  9. #9thepumpguysc2019-03-27 03:35

    "THAT" is a noble excuse.. I wouldn't hesitate to put that on a resume..

  10. #10AzIron2019-03-27 07:46

    What places have looked or are you still thinking

  11. #11kshansen2019-03-27 10:20

    I've been out of the business here in NY for a few years but seems like the biggest problems they had at the quarry was finding someone who could do two basic things. Number one show up on time, more than once. Number two pass a "pee test" without two weeks notice! That second one was a killer for at least one guy. When told he had to take "the test" he hesitated and said "Could I come back and do that in a couple weeks?" Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Good luck and let us know how things go!

  12. #12stevencodding2019-03-27 22:22

    I am absolutely still looking. I took the advice given here and from others and put a line in my resume to give a brief explanation of that gap. I figure if an employer has more questions they will ask them in an interview. I have not tried an specific places yet but I have my resume posted on indeed and few other job web-sights.

  13. #13stevencodding2019-03-27 22:31

    Yeah, no worries about showing up on time and being reliable it’s not like anyone could cover for you considering your running a machine that could kill people or destroy property in an instant not to mention damage the equipment in the process. As for a pee test, I am not worried at all about that. If you want to operate and can’t pee clean you’re wasting time haha!

  14. #14stevencodding2019-03-27 22:44

    Thanks so far for the helpful input and advice. I noted the gap on my resume with a brief explanation of what happened to my grandmother and left it at that. Will see what comes out of it and like I said to AzIron if an employer has further questions I am happy to answer them in an interview; I also have references to support my claims and validate the care I have been giving to my grandmother. I have additional references to support my work history as an operator. I sure am looking forward to getting back in the cab not to mention I am ecstatic to try out the joystick steering on newer front-end loaders. Thanks again everyone and please feel free to keep sharing helpful insights. Regards, Steven

  15. #15kshansen2019-03-28 08:24

    Steve, I was a wrench puller and not an operator so only had a little time actually running a joystick machine or two, 980K and 988H. Did a few hours fill in time running the 988H loading haul trucks a couple times. The first couple times running the 988H around the shop to do service I probably looked like a ball in a pinball machine! But even for a slow learner like me it started to feel natural after a short time. Strangest thing was sitting there with no steering wheel in front of me. As you have run a wide range of equipment I'm sure you will adapt to the difference before time for first coffee break! Good luck hope you find a good place to use your skills!

  16. #16thepumpguysc2019-03-28 08:35

    Simply put "family duties".. & let them ask the question.. No need to write it out.. & to be honest, I'll bet money they wont even ask, depending on how bad they need an operator.. Good luck..

  17. #17partsandservice2019-03-31 16:38

    If you happen to get the opportunity to "show them what you can do" check the fluid levels first and you will likely be hired on the spot.

  18. #18Mother Deuce2019-03-31 17:09

    ... and walk by your car and get your grease gun on the walk to the machine

  19. #19stevencodding2019-03-31 23:39

    That was my plan if I am able to get an interview it would be the best way to test skills because after all anyone can talk. The two things you guys mentioned are or at least should be common procedure be for ever starting the machine. Its surprises me more people dont do that.

  20. #20AzIron2019-04-01 07:12

    A lot of people dont know what a grease gun is since so many outfits straight out use rentals management doesnt care It sucks to get a rental machine after it's been on a job like that they squeal like crazy and half of the zeros wont take grease

  21. #21Mother Deuce2019-04-01 07:41

    In a time long ago before political correctness was in vogue and there is some law that protects everybody’s “feelers”. Somebody may mention to you that they might try to tear off a certain part of your anatomy that they had decided that you weren’t using if you failed to check the fluids, grease and gawd help you if you didn’t shovel the tracks and it froze! Particularly if that individual was a blood relative of yours! Those days seem to be gone and unfortunately the tradition of treating a machine like your own has passed.Glad to read you are keeping the tradition alive!

  22. #22stevencodding2019-04-10 01:11

    I am not sure if anyone here is in the Phoenix area, but I have had my resume out for a week and a half, and I haven’t gotten many hits on it yet. Are there any recommendations for good companies in the Phoenix area that anyone may be familiar with? I know this is a long shot but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

  23. #23Mother Deuce2019-04-10 03:16

    This is kind of a old school biz. I personally have never hired anyone from the computer nor have I had any success finding a job with one exception that being the mining industry. Hard copy the resume, and take a ride. Meet your potential employer in real time.

  24. #24AzIron2019-04-10 07:35

    Markham rummco sunland asphalt Ace asphalt swingel robbins kinkade civil. Breinholt Mark's grading. are some big ones that are always hiring There are 100s of small outfits that are looking for real talent