Hello everyone, I've been looking over the forums and trying to use the search but can't come up with any answers. I have recently come across a 1979-1983 (not sure exactly the year) international harvester skid steer. Does anyone know anything about these? It comes with a working 24 horse motor that I'll have to install myself and I've never put an engine in anything. The hour meter reads around 1500 hrs. Anyone have a price estimate of the whole unit as well? Thanks!
By the way it's an international harvester 4135
On something that old I wouldn't give more that 2x scrap, especially if you have to put a motor in. I may be wrong, but I heard the early IH stuff had a bad rep. I'd look for a case 1835 or 40...
Welcome to the Forums Haden!:drinkup If you buy the skid steer and get it running, what is the intended use? Keep in mind parts availability will be very difficult if not non-existent for such a machine.
Thanks for the replies so far. Are parts not interchangeable on several skidloaders? So if something breaks I'll have to find a part exactly for that skidloader? I plan to use it for concrete work, mainly forming up concrete but if the bucket is big enough I would try pouring with it too. I've been using my brother in laws for a while and figure it's time to get my own.
As far as not hearing good things about it as someone previously stated, I haven't heard anything about this specific model but I saw posts of people that had the 4140s and said they were great little machines
In general, a 24hp machine isn't going to have a lot of lifting capacity. I also would be hesitant in purchasing, IH has been out of the construction equipment business for quite some time now. Many parts will be machine specific and likely obsolete. Even generic parts will be difficult on a 40 year old machine.
Thanks again for the quick replies. So if I can get this machine around $2,000 you guys still think I shouldn't do it? I suppose there's a reason I might be able to get it for cheap, but everything else running seems to be around 6k or above
Owning a skid steer you have to be prepared to swallow $2,000 in repairs at any given time. Trust me, 2k is just the start by the time you actually get some hours on that thing you will be more invested than that. Just save the money to buy something a little newer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its a 500 dollar machine Why is the engine out? how do you know the pump and drives are good if it doesn't run?
Are you talking a couple of sidewalks and a patio, or are you in the concrete business? how many hours per year are you thinking of using this for?
I'm talking concrete on the side. Maybe 15 sidewalks, patios a year. Probably 5 left this year
The older guy that owns it now said everything worked great until the engine went out last year, then he bought a good engine and his son never put it in
My dad has an older (same vintage) skid loader with 16hp. I'm amazed at how much it 'can' do with such a small motor and it's been pretty reliable. Plus, it fits on a small trailer, or even in the back of a pickup. But even my dad wishes he had something larger and stronger a lot of times. Also, if you don't have much mechanical experience, I think you'd be better off coming up with $7k-10k or so, and get a larger, newer, and better machine in the 45hp or more range. Older bobcat 743 or 753, or Case machines that haven't been worked to death can still be found for reasonable, sometimes ya see one or two being sold for like $5,500 or so, and that's a LOT of machine for just $3k more. In the end you'll have a lot more capable machine that still isn't too large and can do a lot of work. The extra money you invest up front, even if you have to finance it, will likely pay off on work you can do ....instead of spending time fixing the machine. But to have a machine to 'play' with on the side as a occasional hobby, and to do work around the farm, or move light stuff around the supply yard ...the IH might be kinda fun.
I second looking for a 743. Those machines are tough as nails and simple.
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I'll keep borrowing one until I have more side jobs lined up which might be next year. Good to know!
I'm far from an expert on skidsteers as 90 % of the ones the company where I worked were Case, mostly 1845---C vintage. They do, or at least the last I knew had, a Bobcat 743. I would lean toward the old Case 1800 series but that Bobcat does seem to take more than it's share of abuse without too many problems. Now if you were taking a JCB Robot 185........ I won't say what I think of the one the company has, no not want to get band for life. Then again it has not given me any trouble since April 23, 2015! Trying to remember the first skid steer we had at work forget the model but it was a Bobcat with the V-4 Wisconsin engine and friction clutches, not hydro-static pumps and motors. The motor was the weak point of that one. Liked to snap crankshafts! Too much side-load from that variable speed belt drive.
If it is not running then don't buy it unless you know the person your self and can trust him. Motor parts for all skidloaders aren't that hard to find as most motors used in skid loaders were also used in other pieces of equipment,. Rest of it may just be for that machine. Theres were the problem begins. Some parts for that machine may or may not be hard to find but suspect some really are and when you find them they will be very expensive. If the machine is not able to be operated then you leave your self wide open for major repairs,. I am guessing a very nice running machine would top out at 4 grand as long as everything worked on it. location will be the part of the cost. if its not running your really taking a big chance. just my 3 cents worth