Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions about tools of the trade

FieryMethodist ยท 2013-09-18 22:50

Alright, I'm working on my list of tools to be a mechanic. I want to be able to handle heavy equipment, tractor-trailors/semi's, construction machinery, farm tractors, etc. By looking inside the tool catalogs of say (Snap-On, Matco, Armstrong, etc.), I know that it is impossible to have every single size from every socket. NO MECHANIC has the money to individually buy every socket. For the individual tools: 1. Socket drive size - I know that 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4-drive is common, would I ever need to buy 1-inch drive, even 1-1/2 inch drive, 2-1/2 inch drive? 2. For 3/8 drive - what size sockets should I go up to? 3. For 1/2 drive - what size sockets should I go up to? 4. For 3/4 drive - what size sockets should I go up to? 5. If I need it, in 1-inch drive, what size sockets should I go up to? If you know, what big ones [sockets] would I need that your aware of? 6. For combination wrenches - what size should we go up to? Some of these tool companies go up to 2 1/2in wrench. Do I need to go up that high? Get all of them? 7. For open-end wrenches - what size should we go up to? 8. For box-end wrenches - what size should we go up to? 9. Adjustable wrenches - I have them up to the 15-inch size, do I need to go any bigger? 10. I already have a good assortment of pliers, screwdrivers. 11. What are some special tools, to work on the engine (examples, oil, brakes, fuel, inside engine, etc.) you feel someone would need? 12. What PULLERS would I need? For the shop, what do they supply: 1. Sockets? 2. Wrenches? 3. Special tools? (examples, for working on brakes, fuel line, oil changes, inside engine, etc.) POWERTOOLS (Impact Air, Cordless, Corded): 1. Do you believe that cordless power tools will eventually replace impact tools with a cord? 2. What is the biggest impact wrench 'drive size' you feel someone would need? (3/4-inch drive, 1-inch drive, etc.) 3. What is the biggest impact ratchet you feel one would need? 4. What about corded impact drills compared to cordless drills? Does someone need BOTH an 'air impact' drill and a 'cordless and/or corded power drill? 5. What are some other 'air impact' tools does someone really need to be a mechanic? Toolboxes - I am looking for a good used one in this area. I will not look to the 'truck guy' because he will sell me a 'scratch and dent' for the same price as a brand spanken new one LOL I think a good used/scratch and dent would be the way to go for a tool box. Thank You for all your answers and suggestions, Greg

Replies5
  1. #1Scrub Puller2013-09-19 01:08

    Yair . . . FieryMethodist . Mate, how long is a piece of string, that is way too loaded question. It's more complicated these days because of metric gear but, in the 'old days' working on American stuff to get a start all our operators had to have sockets, open enders and rings to inch and an eighth plus shifters to eighteen inches and various screwdrivers, pliers, hammers and a hacksaw. You can get a lot done with that and then it's a matter of how far you want to go. Cheers.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2013-09-19 06:00

    I have been a field guy for 13 years now and I still buy at least two tools a month. You will never have it all. Every field is specialized as well. Heavy equipment and ag may be similar but trucks are another deal. I always joke with people that my wrenches don't fit automotive when they ask me to fix a car. Your first list should cover the basics. You can get started and then see what you need. Yes some places have larger or specialty tools you can use. It all depends who you go to work for. I personally am not buying a 600$ socket to do one job. I am spoiled though and have a dealership behind me. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

  3. #3lars2013-09-19 06:11

    One of my favorite sites comes to the rescue, again! http://www.vannattabros.com/saw51.html

  4. #4Plant Fitter2013-09-19 06:40

    It's not the tools, but how you use them. Give a hopeless mechanic the best toolset in the world and he will still be a hopeless mechanic. Start with the basics and build it up to suit what you need.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2013-09-21 07:05

    LOL PLANT>> We call them "tool collectors".. And don't forget FIERY> you can ask for a BIG DISCOUNT when buying off the tool truck IF your paying CASH..[check] Those prices are for the guy buying a 500.00 torque wrench and paying $5.00 aweek.. I had 1 snap-on guy give me a 30% discount on my bill over 100.00 if I paid "that day"..