Hello All, I have several questions on a trackhoe that I'm operating on. (1) First, what is the difference between a CAT 345B, BL or L if anything? (2) The unit is a 2001 and in good physical condition with 7200 hours (+ or - a few hours). What is considered a lot of hours on a trackhoe of this size and year? (3) We are using the expensive CAT Desert Gold grease, but some say it's not worth spending the extra on good grease. Would you recommend using the high end grease, or can you get away using the cheaper grade and greasing more often? Even though we are using the Desert Gold, I'm still greasing all the zirts after about 10 hours of use per the manufacture. Thanks in advance, Rob
A 345BL would mean its a B model the L stands for long undercarrage but the differance between a 345B and 345BL got me:beatsme as for the grease any grease is better then no grease, I use that Mystik JT6 it works good, not too expensive
Worked with and outfit once and saw a foreman tell an operator that the machine he was on was to new to need grease and by the time it needed it them wouldn't have it.
7200 hours isnt many for a machine of that size. 15,000 hours shouldnt be a problem for a well maintained large excavator. As for grease, grease is cheap, a boom pin is north of 2000 dollars if i recall and that doesnt includ bushings or line boring. Use good grease and do it daily!
The "L" or "LC" does mean long carriage. Those machines usually have at least one extra bottom roller with the corresponding increase in track frame length. After running an LC machine you will never want to take a beating from a standard length machine again.
Is this true that the Caterpillar lubrication manual for the 345B directs grease every TEN hours???
At least, unless you are digging in wet or sandy conditions. Then I would do it at lunch to. Just my opinion,I could be wrong Heath
Well I was wondering what the factory lubrication manual reads. Does anyone have one?? I'll settle for a 320 or 330 too.
That Desert Gold grease is good grease. Whether or not it is worth the extra money stands to be debated. In my opinion any heavy duty grease that does not run out of the joint when it gets hot is ok. The main thing is to be sure it is in there. I saw some grease that was caramel in color and made by Mobil that would turn to liqued and run out when it got hot. That wouldnt do much good.
I kinda like the good ol' Union 76 red tack for grease. Its inexpenisive, and works great! Grease alot and grease often. We never listen to what Cat or any other manufacturer says about grease intervalls. Our new Komatsu 605 haul trucks only recomend greaseing the hoist and box pins every 50 hours. We hit em every day. As far as your 345 goes, send it to the auction and replace it with a 330! I have found in the past you can get just as much done with a 330, at a lower cost. A 330 is easier to move, uses less fuel, and doent cost as much to operate. It always seemed to me the 345 was too big for loading highway trucks, too small to load off road trucks, and WAY to big to pioneer and clear and grub a new road. Just my 2 cents! Jason
Well I go for a Lithium or molydisulphide grease when ever possible but there are times when they are not available I go with a EP grease ,I hear some of the new JCB are a 1000 between greasing .A lot of contractors are now fitting auto greasers to their gear to save paying for grease time and to ensure the equipment is greased.
We generally grease our machines everyday and if we can even twice a day. The problem I see with auto greasers is that it would favour the closest/easiest point? Shane
We may to have to agree to disagree on this point but fitting of the manifolds is crucial to ensure an even distribution of grease to every nipple ,I personally believe that an operator manually greasing a piece of equipment is the best system as he is walking around the machine an in doing so will spot any issues that need attention,but with allergies and claims etc the greasers have proved cheaper and more dependable ,now the fitter calls to each machine weekly fills the greasers runs them manually repairs any issue and thats it no grease guns being lost or tracked over so as they dont have to be used no grease tubes in the cab or broken in the toolbox ,no theft of the cartridges either. Stock
Well a good lincoln or groenveld system uses injectors not just lines. Without injectors it would do just like you said, but the injector system ramps the whole system to 2200 psi or so and each injectors squirts grease into its fitting.