Has anywone installed any stormwater control. I have a job that will have to have somthing installed. I'm not sure what, maybe a permanant pond or manmade infiltration device. I think we have to be able to hold the first inch of rain. Small lot but strict requirments. Thanks, Tim
I've done some of that from time to time. It's always been something that was designed by an engineer though, as opposed to just me or the customer thinking of what might work. (The, "I'm not sure what, maybe a permanant pond or manmade infiltration device", part of your question leads me to believe there's not an engineer involved yet.) What specifically do you want to know?
An engineer is not required in this instance. I can follow any of the below. a. Extended Dry Pond. b. Infiltration Trench. c. Natural Infiltration Area. I was just wondering if anyone has done any. If I can do this without an engineer, I can probable save me and the customer money. Just trying to study up and learn. Yes I know somtimes an engineer is necassary. Tim
Need a little more info. What kind of stormwater, will be be run off or downspouts ?? You can build a small pond with a swale feeding it or a pipe for a inlet and outlet or do a underground infiltration system with pipe and gravel like a septic system.
I do some of that stuff up here. Like the others said, it depends on what you're looking to control. We have a local office called "Soil Conservation" that will usually help design or at least suggest solutions for storm water management/erosion control for single lots. If you have something similar available they may help. Here's a link to our storm water control design manual online. I know it's not for NC, but it may give some ideas. http://www.mde.state.md.us/Programs/WaterPrograms/SedimentandStormwater/stormwater_design/index.asp
The things the engineer would take into consideration are things like the amount of square footage, and whether that would be from a hard surface (like a roof, or pavement), or from a permeable surface, like lawn or woodlands. They have different rates of runoff that need to be considered. The engineer would also look at how quickly the water can be released from the detention facility. You said you need to hold the first inch of rain. Is that from the roof only, or roof and pavement, or the whole lot? That may seem like a stupid question, but one that I did was literally 6' deep X 15' wide X 50' long, and filled with gravel. It had an 8" pipe for an outlet, and it only took the roof load from the house. I was told that it was designed to compensate for the size of the driveway, which was about 600' long, and just ran off the edges into the woods. I still consider that one of the stupidest things I've ever been required to do, but the Borough insisted it be done. Now, you have to understand that the Borough had their engineer examine and approve the plan desigend by the homeowner's engineer. So, another pertinent question is, who is going to be "approving" whatever you come up with? The a, b, and c options you listed make it sound like somebody drew up a list of standard ways it could be done, and all you have to do is figure out the appropriate size and convince the building inspector that you know what you're talking about, but you haven't said that specifically, so I could be mistaken.
Engineers love to make life hard on us, just to catch the water from one house (downspouts, perimeter drain, and any catch basins we set in the driveway) they are making us run 6" HDPE pipe 300' down a near vertical hillside thats very heavily wooded with thick vegitation, where it exits throught a 'diffuser tee' (tee with holes drilled in it) on the beach. there is also a swale running across the top of the bank to stop any surface water from heading over the bank but the lots are so vegitated that the swale will never see any water. And we have to do this on 3 seperate lots :bash something like a simple infiltration trench would have taken care of any water just fine.:Banghead
"Diffuser T", that's hilarious. I read your other post, how the hell are you going to get that done with the cliff?
We still arent sure, we havent even made it to the beach yet as there is no access to it except for down the bank. we got a couple harness' and some climbing rope to get down there and driect the pipe as its going down. we hope that because its so steep the pipe will want to slide on its own and we can try to push it around as needed. Otherwise we have a couple ideas ranging from chainsaw winch pulling it down from the bottom, to bringing a jet ski in and trying to pull it down. Boss said we can use his jet ski if we think it would work, problem is its in a shallow bay it would have to be really high tide to get even a jet ski in there, you can walk from one side of the bay directly across to the other on low tide. The pipe welding tech is flying in tonight, he'll be there in the morning and we'll be getting started. I'll try to snap a few pics of it as we go along/finish.
rino1494 This will be runoff from impervious surfaces. in this case about 3-4000 sq ft. Maybe more but that will get us under the 6% of imperious surfaces. Orchard Ex Thats what i'm looking for. Thanks. digger242j The city will inspect it. I will be sure they will approve this first. You mean you can't tell if I know what I'm talking about? No I don't but before I take a plan to the city I will. Learned some here and some other websites. tylermckee Engineers also love to make life hard on us. I'm of the belief that will all must stand up to the inspection dept and engineers from time to time otherwise we will be pushed around by them. If we learn and take that info to an inspection it would be amazing how much we could save and generaly make life easier on us and the engineer and the inspection dept. I'm also an electrician and you would not believe the overkill that engineers put in their plans. On several ocasions I have meet with the owner, inspector, and engineer and competely change the plans. Most of the time to somthing better for the costomer. I have also won bids by doing the same, where other companies just follow what they were ask to bid. Thanks for all the help guys. Tim
Any time I have to have something inspected, my first call after hanging up with the customer is to the inspector. After I introduce myself, and describe the customer's wants and desires, the next words out of my mouth are "What would you like to see?". I have yet to encounter a situation where the inspector was not helpful, and took as much time with me (even through multiple calls to the office) as I needed to get something worked out. That way, I know that when I call them out, they're going to be happy with it. I hear different horror stories about inspectors being a PITA, but that's never been my experience. I never agrue with them, never try and get them to see that my way might be better, and never act like I know more than they do. What the inspector wants, is what the inspector gets, and the customer get billed accordingly. Joe
My dad has been a building inspector for the last 8 years. You wouldn't believe some of the things that people try to do and then get him to sign off on. He always tells them, "I will not put my name and take liability for something that isn't right just so you can save a few bucks". When they ask what he wants and then do that it winds up saving time and trouble for both parties. He's often made suggestions that are better and easier. Bottom line is talk the the inspector and you will both come away happy.
just to save the homeowner a few bucks, why would you want to assume the liability/responsibility of designing something like this? there's not only the hydraulics involved, drainage areas, permiability, permitting, etc.....there's also quality control issues. you might save you and the homeowner 3-4k....an atty to defend yourself may cost you considerably more. and when the plaintiff's atty asks...are you a civil engineer, are you a P.E.? if you're not, it's all downhill from there. engineers i work with all carry "errors and omissions" ins. in case they do have a screw up. i don't mean to ramble here, i just wouldn't want that liability hanging over my head.
I have called the inspector, it may be a couple of days before he can return my call. I gladly talk to the inspectors and willingly work with them. But it is not always what the inspector wants, he may not always be right. I have seen sevral ocasions where the inspector was enforcing something that was not required. I have and will go over thier heads if I firmly believe he is wrong. I realize this may come back to bite me, but so far I have gained respect. I never try to get an inspector to sign off on a violation. I do not want the liability anymore than he does. This is such a small site .5 acre I don't see a great deal of liability. As I stated the city does not require an engineer for this. It will basiclly be up to the inspector, I will do as he says. If this was a large job I would want an engineer involved. I agree about the liability. As far as saving the money I just can't sit back and waste money for no reason. Especially when I know it is not required. I think we all do things for the inspectors without questioning them. Even if we don't confront the inspector with the problem and just learn about things for ourselves. No I do not try to start a conflict with them. I'm to the point now that the inspectors I see regularly trust me and my work. They know I will do the right thing. Tim
Here in So. Cal "SWEPS" (StormWater & Erosion Protection Something or other) is taken very seriously. I have seen jobs closed down by the city 3 days after is has rain because of mud in the streets. The city of Carlsbad is notorious for doing that. There are dedicated Erosion Co. that install all the prevention on the job sites that range from silt fences, hay filled tube "Sausages", ect.. This topic reminds me of a funny story: I was working on a job in San Marcos and the Sweps people came thru and put fences up all over and they also laid a thick canvas tarp over the only street level storm drain and put abounch of sandbags over it. Now; this phase of the job is at the lowest point of the whole job; kinda like at the bottom of a funnel. Anyway the guy loading the drywall demolished a fire hydrant "Up River" from where we were and by the time the city workers had arrived to turn off the hydrant, the metal plug for the shut off valve in the street that they needed to find was 3' under water. I knew where the covered drain was because I had stacked up about 20 unints of studs next to it, so I drove in and with a pallet on the forks myself and a helper managed to remove the sand bags and canvas. Once the water had drained away the city found the plug for the hydrant that was no where near where they were looking for it. Because the developer was so scared to get fined by the city for getting dirt in the sewers an ENTIRE phase of trenches and form boards (practally ready to have the concrete poured) were leved by the time the water drained away. I do have pics of the above incident and will try to find and post them.
NO erosion control in NM Hey Guys--Been away for the last 2 weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron N.M.Saw my first ever flash flood 2 days out on the trail at Indian Writings.Unbelievable noise first,then a rush of an organic smell--then the brown water.The dirt road was under 3' of water in about 5 minutes.Next day they sent out a 3 yd. Cat loader to get the 2' of wet silt off the road.Where did he put it ? Right smack into the creek--when he took a break,I went over to him and told him if I did that back in NY,I'd be arrested--he was shocked--said it was common practice there.Regards.