Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which would you choose

chipsearthworks ยท 2006-07-31 15:07

Hey guys I am at a cross road in my life right now and looking for some opinions. I have been a police,fire,ems, dispatcher for over 5 years now and as much as I love being in public service I can not stand doing it any more, for multiable reason i wish not to get into. I have decided I need to go back to school but I can not decide between going to school to learn how to run heavy equipment,thru Associated Training Services Network (ATS) or go to school to become a auto mechanic thru Universal Technical Instuite (nascar tech in mooresville NC). What would you guys do? I have no wife,kids,live with my parents so home ties are just sisters,father,mother but nothing else. I would like any opinions good, bad, indiffrent if you hate either of these carrers tell me then tell me why, also if you love either one of these, same thing tell then tell me why. I know only i can make the finally descion but I would like some imput from you guys.

Replies12
  1. #1woberlin2006-07-31 18:05

    First off, decide if you want to work indoors in a shop, or outside in the elements. Both are great careers, and you can make alot of money in either. Although if your strictly interested in the buck, auto mechanics is the way to go, there is a huge demand everywhere for a trained mechanic. I owned and worked in my own autobody shop for ten years. It got so bad, that I can hardly stand to work on a car anymore. The grind in a busy shop is terrible, and can wear you down quick. Also you'll probably end up working flat-rate, which can be good, or terrible, depending upon how fast and good you are. Auto mechanics is also very tedious work, and you must certainly have an eye for detail, and the patience of a saint! I've always loved trucks and heavy equipment, as well as being outdoors, so when the opportunity presented itself-I jumped. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

  2. #2Squizzy246B2006-07-31 18:10

    Why not go for the best of both worlds and become a Heavy Equipment mechanic...there is a huge demand and it can lead to work just about anywhere you could possibly want to go. Its hard dirty work but field service guys I know are basically left to their own devices.

  3. #3chipsearthworks2006-07-31 18:44

    Hey Squizzy you brought up some spark in me any thoughts on where i can train for a heavy equipment mechanic? As far as woberlin thanks for the relply i agree whith you one of my reason i can not stand dispacthing is just thaht I am sick of the dealing with pushy captains and chiefs and such so maybe auto mechanics will not be for me if what you say is true

  4. #4digger242j2006-07-31 19:48

    Both what Squizzy and woberlin said had occured to me earlier when I read your post, but didn't have time to reply. Just for some more food for thought, make some comparisons: Outside, in the sun, wind, rain, snow etc. or inside where it's usually about the same temperature? Mud or dust, or grease? Sitting on your butt moving handles and pedals all day, or standing, squatting, kneeling, rolling around on a creeper, or bending over a fender? Sunburn (eventual skin cancer), eventual hearing loss (although it's not nearly as bad as in years gone by), maybe a bad back or knees (from so much sitting in one position, getting bounced around all day, although that's not as bad as it used to be either), or busted knuckles, burns from stuff that's too hot to touch, rust and grit falling in your eyes, probably a bad back eventually too? Driving down the road and seeing a place and knowing you helped create it, or change it into what it is today or driving down the road, passing cars and saying, I did a brake job on that one, I changed the transmission on that one... ? Besides, if you spend any amount of time on equipment, you'll get all the benefits(?) of being a mechanic eventually anyway...

  5. #5Dozerboy2006-07-31 21:08

    I have never been impressed with any Associated Training Services, but it would help you get your foot in the door. I think the price is steep one guy I worked with went and it cost him ~$10K just for the school and a room. There are a few members here that have gone maybe they can help.

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-07-31 21:18

    I really don't know if I would want to suggest being a mechanic I have been there and still do it. I don't do automotive except for working on my truck otherwise I wouldn't go into automotive its way too much technical crap everything is computer controlled. You need alot of schooling for the new stuff. You need to get a apprenticeship with a dealer as 99% of the vehicals now are dealer repaired. The days are gone when regular service station mechanics are repairing cars. As for being a heavy duty mechanic its not much better its easier work but its heavier work. Parts are heavier and the work is generally heavier. You have to like getting dirty and having your body banged up. Being a mechanic is sort of a thankless job your always under the gun to have things done in time. The days are gone when a heavy duty mechanic fixes everything its technicians now you specialize in repairing one part. Say you are a hydraulic tech you deal with everything hydraulic. Another guy is a engine specialist or a person that trouble shoots the electrical controls. Right now Caterpillar in Canada mainly Alberta will almost pay you to come work for them and be trained as a technician. The only catch is you work in the oil fields and you sign a contract you work for Caterpillar after they train you. They have a big problem training people and they bugger off to another company.

  7. #7PSDF3502006-07-31 22:23

    If you like fixing things then like was said heavy equipment mechanic. They make great money and do alot of traveling. I dont think I would recomend auto mechinic becuase things change so rapidly that yearly you need to reschool. If you like playing in the sandbox heavy equipment operator.

  8. #8Rowdy2006-08-01 04:09

    If you are serious about becoming a mechanic I would suggest Nashville Auto Diesel College. I graduated from there several years ago. Then went on to work for a Cat dealer for several years and now I am a Maintenance Supervisor for a large Coal mining company, So the wheel has come most of the way around. Yes being a mechanic on heavy equipment is hard , Dusty, muddy , greasy and anything else you might want to throw in (including working on a landfill)But if you like o see the fruit of your labor this is a good career choice. I am constantly on the lookout for experienced mechanics that can work safe, and they are getting harder to find. Just keep in mind that every day when you go to work the first thing you do when you get on the job is listen to someone complain about the product you will be working on. NADC offers both Automotive and Diesel they also offer basic electrical and hydraulics which will get you started toward the heavy equipment. I know of several dealers including Caterpillar, on road trucking companies and automotive dealers that recruit out of that school. They also offer job placement for your entire career and retraining after you graduate (you have to pay room a board but the school is free) As some of the others have said tuition is expensive but look at what the school has to offer after you graduate before you make your decision. And above all go with an open mind and willing to learn all you can while you are there.

  9. #9Electra_Glide2006-08-01 12:54

    Friend of mine is a heavy equipment mechanic just outside of Atlanta. He's a road mechanic, which means he's one of the guys that rides around in the service truck all day, but his company also has a group of mechanics that never leave the shop. He's had the option of going to work in the shop, but likes being out on the road, and like Squizzy says, he's pretty much on his own. Joe

  10. #10chipsearthworks2006-08-02 19:08

    Okay guys a little info about the schools. The mechaic school is nascar tech instuite in moorseville NC it is a National accreted school that has job placement, it IS one of those tv schools if you watch spike tv it is plastered all over it is under the UNIVERSAL TECH INSTUITE banner. Now the Heavy Equipment school is ASSOCIATED TRAINING SERVICES NETWORK It also has job placment and you get certified thru THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR CONSTRUCTION EDUCATION AND RESEARCH ( NCCER). With all this being said does this change anything? It does not for me it basically means to me that both will help you land a job and both seem like they are national certifed. Any suggetions?

  11. #11Dozerboy2006-08-02 20:57

    If I where you I would try and get a job working in one field or the other and see how it goes, if you really want to be doing it for maybe the rest of your life. And maybe your employer would help you out with the school if you decide to go.

  12. #12LittleJD2006-08-03 11:40

    changing careers I don't know if you are interested in another line of work. I have a lawn service part time now. I retire in 17 months from my university job and will do lawn service full time. You can be your own boss, you can set the hours and days you want to work... Money is good too! Only negative is finding dependable help. It takes a while but they are out there. May not be what your looking for.