After much pondering ..rather than output cash for some items (milling machine,metal lathe,a model kit)..I was figuring on liquidating some stuff to acquire the cash to do it ..things I don't use much ..IE ..Snap On tools ,,A quick inventory ..says I got about just under 10G's tied up ..retail Ive dealt with pawn brokers before ..but years ago ..if memory serves me correct ..I can expect 35-40% on retail for my goods..off which the broker will sell for 50-60% of retail.. But now ..There's a young fella ..who's entering the trade (mechanic).. ,this guy has tenacity,talent,intelligence and disposition...he's a good kid at 20 years old ..solid.. Being a apprentice I know he doesn't have access to allot of money ..I have considered selling him the tools with a price of 2000-2500... It would benefit him ..how ever this would leave me at a point where i cant get what i want in total..but ..i know the tools would be appreciated and used ..not scattered about ,I worked like a dog to aquire these tools when i was 19/20 years old ..and no deals I want the kid to get ahead ..but at the same time I want to be able to get what I want in the long run ..with nothing drawn out of the bank .. Just as a general demographic ..overall ..what do you as the board think ..how would you handle it?
Tell him your asking price and start from there. Let him haggle if you're willing to go down in price. If you can't come to an agreement on price, you both move on. No harm, no foul. There is a benefit to having cash in hand. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
its good that your thinking of helping the next generation of wrenchbenders out. Chances are if he doesn't take them at that price another apprentice will...
A good many years ago an old mechanic was hired to help me replace steering brakes in a 14A. Like most old wrenches he had thickened up over the years and the constant pushing, pulling, climbing up and down and general knocks, nicks and cuts had finally encouraged him to retire. He was there to point me in the right directions and I appreciated the people I was employed by for doing it. The second day that we were working on the machine he drove up with a trailer. In the back was an assortment of heavy tools, pullers, porto power, jacks and heavy spanners for old cranes and Cat dozers. He said they were all too big for the kind of jobs he was going to do anymore and he asked me if I was interested and what I could afford. I made him an offer and he accepted. I still have those tools but am nearing the end of my useful time handling the big tools. Thanks for your post. It got me thinking that I am also going to pass these down in the not too distant future to a young gun with the moxy to work on the big stuff.
no man stands as tall as when he stoops to help an apprentice.
Snap On Tools Used to be around here Snap On Wrenches would sell for $5.00 or $10.00 each at the pawn shops when you can find them, with around 11/16's being the breaking point on price. I haven't bought any singles in a long time so I don't really know anymore. I would say $2,500.00 on a $10,000.00 worth of tools would be about right. The last box I bought on Ebay was about that "retail" and I gave $2,550.00 for it I think. I always try and leave a little money on the table for the next guy if I can. That can be the difference between your dealings being a good memory or a bad one for him.
Ran it by him today ..he's interested ..we'll see what weeks end brings Roddyo..Your $2500 box ..depending when you bought them may well have been $4000 plus Canadian ..I paid 135 bones for a long handle 1/2 drive rachet of the truck..2 torque wrenches almost $900
I should have been more clear. It was a Snap On Box FULL of tools. It was around 50%+ Snap On 30% Matco, Mac and a few Cornwell the rest whatever being mostly automotive sets. It was pretty well stuffed full to where the drawers would barley close. There isn't a cheaper tool than a long handled 1/2 inch drive Snap On Ratchet. I have 3 of them at least. They usually bring $50.00 here used and I buy almost everyone I see if they are in good shape. My friends usually end up with any extras though.:drinkup
Most of my wrenches are Craftsman but I was fortunate enough to find one of those 1/2" drive long handled Snap On ratchets that somebody had thrown away because of the ratchet pawl being broken.Well,I carried that in my toolbox for many years before I found a Snap On tool truck and the presence of mind to exchange it but that has been one tough tool for me.I have actually used a cheater bar on that ratchet instead of using my flex handle,this time in particular remove the front lug nuts from a 4x4 580 Case.I don't like to abuse tools like that but I must have reasoned that it was free and I sure appreciated the speed that I gained getting the job done. I once broke one similar ratchet with my bare hands working on an undercarriage removing the roller cap screws but it was made in China...got to be careful how I say that or digger will nail me again...lol.Ron G
I would consider taking payments. Gives him more time to accumulate the cash, and should get you closer to your desired price.
hear what you're saying 'bout snap on long handle 1/2 ratchet bought mine '83 probs about £35 over here,fair bit of money back then!stil got it tho!probably more 'bash on /slip off' than snap on! now tho lol
LOl.... can i be your friend:drinkup My favorite tool in the whole kit though is my 3/8 long handle rachet with the semi-deep sockets.. according to Snap On's website's ..theres a $30 difference in the Canadian price over the American price of the long handle rachet ..and lets not forget ..that the dealer (truck price) may very well be different..You scored large on your box ..
im knew on here and administration want let me post yet just reply. im not tring to take over ur post just a quick question. i have a fiat allia 14c dozer serial number 14cit 019689. can anybody tell me the year and hp from this information thks in advance