While starting a clearing job at a local fort, the foremen and I were staking are work area was told the area was clear when we found this I belive it to be a 155 round
Was that up at Fort McCoy?
Ok I'm very uninformed about stuff like this. How much damage what it do if it blew?
Wow. Any reason they sent you in particular to drive stakes there, or are you just lucky?
tip, use very small, soft, and non sparking stakes... lol what is that an 8"
yea it was at fort mccoy eod caame out a blew it in place. for some reason they waited to put a new training area in the impact area dont ask why cus nobody is tell me why ether.
what is that silver part? I dont really understand what it is, an artillery round? Or is it a bomb dropped from an aircraft?
If you were working at McCoy you must work for Gerke Excavating.
I believe in Germany they dig up over two tonnes of that stuff a year still
That's an artillery round. The silver part I beleive, fits in the rifled grooves of the gun barrel, makes it spin as it flys towards the target.
Not an expert but is that section not aluminium to allow the barrel to form it own groves?
Mmmm...yes, your right!
just a quick update found 2 more rounds one buried and fell out of the bucket on the hoe digging boy was that operator scared after that lucky the round was empty and had no fuse and then found another like the first laying on the ground but couldn't see the tip.
Did you guys not have to go through an unexploded ordinance training? The company I worked for did a good sized road job in Anniston, AL, and quite a bit of the job went right smack-dab through the middle of the old Army base/weapons depot/whatever it was. Everyone on the job had to go through training before they could dig, as I recall. Here are a few pics, but I couldn't find any real good ones with a bunch of iron in them. That's a box culvert waaayyyyy down there in the bottom, and I'm on top of the cut taking the picture. The majority of the job is behind me and will be in the next picture. I think the Talladega track is somewhere in the background of this one...
They aren't scanning the ground for you before you dig? I was on a job last fall with the same possiblity of "hidden surprises" and we were only allowed 3 feet of cut per scan.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but will someone point me to instructions for posting pictures? Thanks.
Look HERE
Alright here are the pics I was originally trying to post. Most all of this job was in UXO territory...