Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quite a difference

cuttin edge ยท 2018-02-13 11:55

Went out last night loading snow. Tried our new L110H Volvo that they got this summer. It has that Volvo comfort and quietness. Not a big fan of the electric over hydraulic controls, and hate how you have to wear your seatbelt if you want to lose the warning chime, but what I was most impressed with was the transmission. At the end of the night, when heading back to the barn, there is a long grade with a set of traffic lights. Normally, my L70f, or even one of the L90fs would slow to a crawl until the top of the grade. This 110 held between 35 and 41 kilometers an HR all the way up the hill. Now I get that it is a bigger machine, more power, but even the 950 g and h slow to about 9 or 10 miles an HR.

Replies6
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-02-13 13:29

    Did you play with the RBB system?

  2. #2cuttin edge2018-02-13 14:02

    No, I only took it because the regular operator was unable to come in. I hate loading the tandem tandems with my L70 because it sits so high. As long as I can get the ride control on, I don't mess with anything else if it's someone else's ride. Not sure I know what that is actually. Is it like the grader how you can change direction without using the brakes

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-02-13 14:53

    Say you're doing high cycle fwd/rev like loading out material or pushing a pile. You simply rock the directional switch in the opposite direction. It automatically brakes for you, in fact, your throttle pedal becomes your brake. The harder you apply throttle, the harder it brakes until you're at a speed where the trans can switch directions and start powering through. It wants to be driven like a hydrostat machine. I always thought this was a cool feature designed around the operator. It also has adjustable clutch disengagement. Another cool feature

  4. #4Volvomad2018-02-13 18:21

    The 110 models as far as I know have a higher power to weight ratio than the other models . What is adjustable clutch disengagment ? Is it smoother or variable transmission disconnect ?

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-02-13 19:11

    Yes, same thing. But instead of simply on or off. You have different levels of disengagement. For example, you're climbing a pile, you don't wanna burn through yer brakes while climbing, but you don't wanna roll back either, you might opt for level 1 or 2. 3 is full on and 0 is full off iirc. Once you get it where you're comfortable, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

  6. #6cuttin edge2018-02-13 19:48

    I'll ask Chris about it next time I see him. He is the full time operator of the machine. The loader is used for feeding the asphalt plant in summer