For those of you who are on DHS this will be old news but if you're like me you don't have an account you can't comment so this is why I brought it over here. These are not my photos either so I give credit to the original owners.' Action shots are loading a 789 at Burton Downs a mine owned by Peabody Energy Australia Coal Pty Ltd and operated by Theiss Pty Ltd. Transportation shots are of the first 9800 (in the world) to be delivered to Australia, from the Liebherr factory in Colmar, France to the port of Strasburg, France. Enjoy
And some more...
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. How many CYd bucket?
You beauty Chris! love the pics anymore?
i would give a months pay to run one for a day.
Specs say 42 cubic metres for the bucket. 800 tonnes total weight with two Cummins QSK 60 16v with 2,000 hp each. 42 cubic metres = 55 cubic yards
I would give a days pay to run one for a month.
Nice Pictures ... The Boom looks HUGE!!!!!!!!! On the lowloader. Ide Run a Mile when it Goes down for no Apparent reason ...
Quality Pictures
Great pics. Do you have any of the assembly process?
Haha, thats gold!! In Australia we call them a libra because they are like something else that only works once a month.
Ha ... Thats a new one for me .. I know the Oil patch guys call them LiebBURN .. Bet its a wonderfull piece ... New machine, Miles upon Miles of Wire ... Computer screens everywhere Be like a fruite-machine when it goes down .. Lights flashing, Bells and Whistles ..
While we're on the subject of computer screens... Here's some in-cab photos. First up is Hitachi's EX8000-6 VIMS CGC screen and in-cab view, Libra R996 and a Terex RH340B.
That's interesting, that's what some blokes call our L541 Wheel Loader, and what's more, it lived up to the name. RnR.
Or another one we use down under is "moth" becuase they are attracted to the workshop lights/spend alot of time in the shop. The mine I work at has a LeToilet L-1850 and its a huge moth, just ask CAT793
And we were all so confident that a Electric Drive Loader at the Cadia Proving Grounds would be a GREAT Idea.....................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any pic's or any idear who and how it was transported from the port to the mine, I guess it came though Brisbane
This particular one is fitted with a 47m³ (61.4736 yd³) rehandling bucket (low specific gravity materiel aka poofter dirt) I'm working on it, I'd love to see some more myself especially of the assembly and layout of the hydraulics. Anyway, I've managed to find a few more...
great photos Chris, just curious about the Cat it's loading in the first set of photos. Is it a 789 or a 793? I thought the 789's had straight access ladders instead of the diagonal stairway like on that truck, am I incorrect?
Jim the truck its loading is a CAT 789C, if you look closely you will see it has two access ladders; one either side of the radiator. Again, if you look closely you will see it has a single air filter set up on both air boxes. See attached photo for comparison. Here in Australia their very conscientious when it comes to safety, the stairway on the truck is mandatory to reduce the likely hood of slips, trips and falls, reduce operator fatigue and overcome the three point contact issue when carrying tools, parts etc onto the truck. Even our dozers have automatic access ladders. See attached photo's. Hope this clears things up!
We can get any one on the machines but they can,t see squat when it comes to operating the things and just hope for the best, i have just seen 2 16M,s and the access stairway on them is incredible, no view of the LHS of the blade hardly at all but for 99% of the day when you are grading you will see the ladder to get off for that other 1% of the day.
Know I am a bit retarded Gav............but why can't they design a Cab that is accessed from the Rear (there is a joke for someone). Reduce 2 doors to 1 and walk over the Tandems and alight at the rear near the Ripper box?????
hey guys.. we also have a L1850 and I quite often joke that it should have a minute meter instead of an hour meter in it!!! I also just got passed out on the new RH340B shovel.. i feel like i am tap dancing all day as it has five pedals on the floor. far left one opens/closes clam, next two travel pedals, then modular "kick-out" then pedal for mine radio!!!
Sounds all too familiar, just ask Rod - CAT793. We have a new one at work, been nothing but junk since day one. I think they replace the audible warning alarm at 250 service hour intervals because it gets used so much. Look on the brightside, your getting good training for when you step in a real shovel... like a Komatsu. It's got 5 pedals, but neither one is for the 2-way or kick out, these are on the joystick's. Far left is open followed by close. Middle 2 are travel pedals. Far right is slew brake. :tong
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing these!
Can't remember if I already posted these :beatsme
hey Chris!!! yeah well i havent been in any big komatsu gear so i cant compare.. :beatsme have been running a ex5500 shovel, this one has been around.. got about 26k hours on it, was sitting in Mt Isa for 5 years before coming to hail creek.. they have right pedal open clam, then two travel pedals then close clam on left.. slew brakes built into machine!!! notworthy hitachi) lol in the RH340 to go with the pedals there are also button and switches on the sticks.. lh lever buttons for local in-pit radio and also to retract dipper in closer to machine if required (or too lazy to walk it back a meter) and rocker switch for open/close of clam if your are walking machine.. rh lever rocker switch for load counts if you want to do it manually and buttons for horn and "power down" of the boom. This 9800 looks awesome.. but they all do until grease starts to build up on them..:Banghead
Maybe someday your "real" shovel manufacturer will be able to build a machine that has both clam functions on one pedal and no need for another pedal to stop swinging.......you know, like a modern machine.
yeah.. exactly like the rh340??
now that is a big old bride....very nice pictures thanks for sharing them
You don't need to use the slew brake pedal to stop slewing, it will work just fine without it, in-fact using CS will in some cases cause the slewing down path to be smaller than that of the slew brake. However, unlike the KMG range of Komatsu excavators, Hitachi, Liebherr, O&K, Terex and Bucyrus have no fail safe system in place to stop the machine from slewing in the event of, for example (one of many) loss of pilot pressure, consequently sending your fully loaded bucket into the backboard of the truck your loading. So I'd say it's more like "maybe someday Hitachi, Liebherr and Bucyrus will manufacture a "modern" shovel with a fail safe backup system to stop the machine from slewing in the event of an emergency" Alot of people don't understand the concept or how it works so no doubt there will be a few strange replies to this. I wasnt having a go at ya Golfy, just some friendly banter :drinkup
That's funny, you've told me before that you have to use the slew brake, as it is very unsafe to counter swing and catastrophic damage can result. But only on Komatsu machines.
all good chris.. all i can say is that i dont really like the fact that the O&K does not have a slew brake and relies soley on CS while in normal operation..so basically you have to drag the bucket through the dirt already in the truck to slow it down if you are a little keen/fast.. they do of course have a slew brake switch to activate whilst walking or whatever.. the hitachi way, inbuilt slew brake is much better IMHO..
I'm just buggin' ya too Chris. I look at it this way, if you can't bug somebody for being a Komatsu fan, there's not much point getting out of bed in the morning.......lol. You might be happy to know that the rumour mill says they might be getting a PC8000 to try out at our other mine. Word is they aren't too keen on buying anything from BI these days. Another rumour says we may see some dry leased EX8000s here at our mine.
I do remember, it was on DHS on one of the threads about those 5500's! A lot of people get confused when you talk about using the slew brake instead of CS on Komatsu's, they think you mean the slew house gear brake or slew park brake as it is commonly related to. Obviously, like the other OEM's it does have the slew house gear brake which can be activated by a toggle switch in the cab, when the machine is shut down or the access ladder or service arm is down. There's no safety feature installed on the slew house gear brake to stop you from engaging it while slewing (same with all OEM's) so in emergencies it can be used to stop you, however, it will be pretty ruthless and would obviously have to be changed out after the incident. What do you mean by the Hitachi in-built slew brake? I thought as much Brian, I guess I have thin skin when it comes to Komatsu. I'm doomed now though as you've found my weak spot, 1-0 to you. Good on ya! :tong I'm pleased to hear that Brian, I don't need to tell you what I think, I'm sure you already know! To my knowledge the latest PC8000 is the one delivered to Collie's Griffin Coal in WA, Australia. Number 69 she is/will be when they build her. There's a few mines in NSW, Australia who have tendered for some 8000's too, 5 I think it is. You may be surprised that I'm pleased to hear about those EX8000's too. I was going to say hopefully, but I'll be a sport and say maybe, maybe one day we’ll see a world where there’s nothing but diesel hydraulic shovels and excavators! Back on the subject, anyone got any inside info of the status of the 9800's? How many are being built, and who's mine has ordered how many? In the meantime, here's something for you Brian, not sure if you've already seen it. But here's how we "RH400" down under! YouTube - O&K RH 400
Yeah i mean hitachi equipment has auto slew brake feature.. so when you slew and release lever it slows itself and holds in place.. no need to counter slew at all.. and also no need to have to flick a switch for slew brake when walking machine either..
Nice pictures chris thanks for sharing
We had a Liebher 994 here where I work a couple of years ago, nice machine to operate but what was a pain in the neck ,literally and physically with the computer screens and the console on the right hand side of the cab blocking a lot of view. I got into the habit of tilting my head to the left and ended up with a pain in the neck. And I see they are still on the right hand side.:beatsme
Wow!!
I'm heading to leibherr in perth next month and when i had my interview late Decmber they told me they have 152 R9800 on order plus loads of 996's plus a pile of there dumpers as well. Hope that helps chriss. Jason
There HR dept is obviously well in touch with the industry, 152 R9800, impossiible. Since the advent of 800 ton class machines Hitachi may have 20 in the field and Komatsu 50. To have the new player in the market class wise with 152 machines on order when they have maybe 4 in the field i am very doubtful of the number you have been quoted.
Sounds like normal HR bull to me .......... I bet they haven't built 10% of that number for sale on all 5 continents of the World yet.
Thats what the director of the company said they had on there books over the 3 years, it might of been everthing but there shipping me and 4 others this year just to build the 9800's. They have 3 other teams already just building them and are still looking for more people so they must have a good sales team! lol
or be good bull****ters ........... they must be looking for some cheap labour because all I ever came across before building large Liebherr shovels was Frenchmen. Or maybe the Frogs don't go down well in Oz.
Don't think there will be many frogs in Perth! lol many Welsh,Scots , English and plenty of Paddies!!!
Maybe the figure is 152 total machines on the order books? I know there are a couple of 9800's, 13 996's and numerous smaller machines on the order books just for Indonesia. If your building lots of machines you can expect a frenchman or 2 at some point.
That was my thought on the issue as well Zed. I figure the 152 was a total number of orders, including 9800s, 996s, and so on, and so forth. Doesn't make much sense that they would have 152 orders for one machine in that size class, when I doubt there are even that many machines that have ever been built in that size class combined.
I agree with both of you. Again it shows how disconnected the HR germs are from life at the "Sharp end".
busy busy I might be going to, got medical on bank holiday monday of all days,put me forward for mount thorley or brisbane on build team,or may be they just tell you this to keep you keen, iv heard of lads which went on build team in africa etc went to the factory in france to get familiar with the machines, If thats the case while the visa's being sorted why dont they send the lads who are going to oz to France,[on the pay roll of course]?
any new pics of the R9800?
do you have the first pic in better Resolution? I think it´s one of the best R9800 pics at the Internet and i would use it as wallpaper.
Good excavator! In Russia of such excavator if I am not mistaken isn't present.
Surprise surprise......
and another pics.....
I've been to that mine a few times when they got their first 996's. Have they still got Hitachi's digging there?
Excellent photos!
Wow !!! Two year old movie but Wow !!
Typical pr dramatic machine video, what they failed to mention was the 2 months of constant breakdowns post commissioning due to gremlins in the 4000 electrical connections, cabling, sensors etc….awesome machines and stout as they come but way over complicated. once up and humming that thing should be able to move 60,000t in a 12hr shift with the right conditions and operator.
From what I hear you're not likely to find either of those on a mine site where Theiss or NMS are operating. Certainly the video didn't show anything other than the R9800 scratching around.