Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rad repair

watglen · 2018-09-28 22:05

I have a 3306 spitting coolant out the overflow tube. It eventually reaches a safe level. However, this should not be happening. While trying to do a cooling system pressure test, I noticed the rad cap seat is eroded. Its got a spot where the seat is just a little bit missing. Rad cap likely can't make a good seal here. Makes me wonder if this is the cause of the spitting. New rad cap last winter. Can that be repaired in the machine? Can it be repaired at all. Ken

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-09-29 08:02

    If the tanks and core are metal, yes, they can be repaired. If you've a plastic tank, you'll need new. In chassis repair is dictated by available space and skill with solder and torch.

  2. #2watglen2018-09-29 08:09

    Yeah, its all metal. I have to find a guy who knows how to deal with this type of repair.

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-09-29 08:13

    Any compitant rad shop should be able to solder a new neck on for you while you wait. As long as you make an appointment and let em know yet gonna wait for it. Good luck

  4. #4Delmer2018-09-29 13:30

    How about a picture? I'd try to sand it out first if that's possible with what's missing. Like the suction cup lapping tool you used to use for lapping valves to their seats. Or Jbweld it.

  5. #5Volvomad2018-10-08 17:49

    I would chance JB like Delmer said . 50 cents and 5 minutes . Not much to loose .

  6. #6funwithfuel2018-10-08 17:54

    I think that was said, tongue in cheek. I wouldn't want something in my cooling system that could separate. Little piece of plastic metal blocking a vent hose or fitting. F¤c< that!!!. You think you got issues now?

  7. #7Old Doug2018-10-08 19:23

    I have repaired alot of rads without takeing them out but i bet its not going to be easy finding some one to do it cheap.

  8. #8Mjrdude12018-10-12 17:32

    Another thing to consider is making sure you aren't overfilling the radiator, most of the old machines that would be sporting a 3306 also require the fluid level to be about halfway in the top tank. Room for expansion etc.