Had a customer call that has a slow coolant leak in a vehicle . Looked at it yesterday no wet spots under it but could smell the sweet stuff evaporating in the engine compartment after it was warm . Tolled the feller I would grab a pump up tester in the morning and we would put pressure on it when it's cold , most likely it will show up then . Called local parts store this morning ……. They had one for $ 170.00 . First thing I said to the parts feller is " that price include your service call " . LOL ! I aint spending that kind of cash to pump up a cooling system ! Grabbed an old radiator cap & took it apart on the drill press , soldered an old tire stem in the center . Use a bicycle pump to pressurize the system …..
https://www.tooldiscounter.com/Item...f4hV16bIaI2XKuT5FSB9kfqIn5NkN4FhoCJY0QAvD_BwE Still, Yours will do the same job!
That's more in the price range . Thanks for the link DIYDAVE .
I have never used my vise to hold my vise grips. Good idea!
Thank God the vice can't tell all the stories ! LOL
Nice work The problem on modern vehicles is the wide variety of cooling system pressure tank caps now instead of the old school radiator caps. Heavy equipment is starting to get them also...I think Cat is a GM equivalent size but not 100% sure. We also have to use a vacuum full tool for equipment with EGR coolers to ensure no air pockets in the cooler and possible failure
Back when I worked on fire trucks and the smaller stuff with juice brakes, we would get an extra of the proprietary caps for the brake reservoir and an air fitting for the purpose of pressure bleeding. They were not very expensive. Just regulate the air, don't put 100# to the little plastic tank. Just to keep fresh brake fluid in the system. EGR coolers have been around a long time but I am just starting to hear about this now. I saw it on the Adept Ape you tube channel, looks very impressive.
If you have an overflow bottle for the cooling system, or even an overflow tube, then you can usually pressurize the system through the return valve on the cap, even by mouth. Of course you don't get a gauge with that, but there's usually other places to tap a cooling system if you want a gauge and better control, but don't have the cap tester.
I have made and riged all kinds of stuff to presure test they all worked but i finely bought one this year.It would be great to have the time,space and money to hold on to every riged up thing a guy builds.
Found the leak this afternoon . Working on a 2004 Dodge Caravan . Installed the cap and hooked up the bicycle pump . Let the customer operate the pump while I looked & listened . Could hear a leak at the front of the vehicle . Keep pumping Dave ! I think we found it ? LOL Top tube leaking at the header on a crossflow system . That explains how they were able to drive it adding coolant every few day's & no visible leak as it would evaporate . Found it at Autozone . https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...ol/radiator/duralast-radiator/352654_233208_0 Tool was built out of the old radiator cap off the 68 Ford Galaxie and a valve stem from an old truck tube . We never throw anything away , that junk over in the corner is just another tool waiting to be built .