Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Railroad Alaska

Shimmy1 ยท 2016-01-02 17:06

I'm sure we don't need another reality show thread, but this afternoon I'm watching Railroad Alaska with my 5 y.o. After they get done repairing a Deere rubber track dozer, the operator makes the most idiotic comment I've ever heard. He says, and I quote, "If you're not breaking stuff, you're not working hard enough." Now, I understand that cold weather plays some part in breakdowns up there, but if that guy worked for me, he wouldn't any longer. Anyone else feel his comment was wrong?

Replies8
  1. #1SidewinderGlenn2016-01-02 18:20

    Just another TV Idiot beating on his chest, trying hard to impress SOMEONE .... ANYONE.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2016-01-02 19:03

    I would say it is the opposite, if you are breaking things, you are being lazy and taking shortcuts, i.e. not working hard enough. Generally speaking of course. Sometimes it is more expedient to break something than all the extra time it might take to save it but not as a general rule.

  3. #3mitch5042016-01-02 19:08

    I've heard that comment many times around here. Usually loggers who can't work for the sucessful outfits, they just bounce from one doomed startup logging outfit to another. It'd damn sure disqualify them from getting in or on anything of mine.

  4. #4movindirt2016-01-03 21:00

    I think I've heard that line on Gold Rush a couple of times, I just shrug and blame it on the idiots writing the scripts who have no clue about anything related to heavy equipment.

  5. #5Jim D2016-01-03 21:03

    The guy said something stupid, and it made it into the show. That's how TV works...

  6. #6wornout wrench2016-01-03 21:24

    Crappy, stupid, brain sucking shows like this are one of the reasons that I cancelled my cable years ago. After watching Gold Rush and Axemen, I figured that my IQ had gone down several points. I don't think that I can afford to loose too many more brain cells:falldownlaugh

  7. #7Shimmy12016-01-03 21:38

    I watch them because my little man likes the yellow iron (and the trains). I just wish they could try a string of episodes that aren't scripted piles of fake drama.

  8. #8390eric2016-01-03 21:38

    This is real life though. Kind of a different subject but in the same area. I got a new job working for a natural gas distributor as an operator/cdl driver. I was talking with the mechanic one evening. He was telling me about the best operators the company has. They do the bigger pipeline jobs, something I hope to move into. Well anyone he was talking them up like they are the greatest on earth. Told me a story of how they had a dozer down over a hill, they didn't have the nerve to bring the dozer back up the hill, so they broke it and left it there. Proceeds to tell me he had to carry tools and parts up and down this hill to fix then he had to get the dozer back up the hill since they were afraid. I looked at him and said those are what you consider the best operators sounds like a bunch of monkeys to me and I walked away. Just amazes me what some people believe is alright to do with equipment and just how to generally act.