Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rainier Skyline Excavator

JTL · 2010-02-02 08:51

I wasnt really sure where to post these pictures, cause its kind of a half- breed dirt/log machine. My buddy Matts cousin is a superintendent for a large gravel producer in the area and we stoped to bs him yesterday while in Spokane. After giving us a tour of their new 7 million dollar state of the art computerized crushing plant, he took us down to show us where it all starts. Pretty impressive hunk of iron here. Its got a 900 horsepower 3412 Cat to turn the old Skagit drums which are holding over 1500' of 2" skyline and haulback wire. The third drum, which is the bucket dump line is only 1".

Replies30
  1. #1JTL2010-02-02 09:00

    Some more of the gravel yarder!

  2. #2JTL2010-02-02 09:09

    The last group of pics of this beast.

  3. #3plowking7402010-02-02 11:47

    my Dad used to run something like that back in Winnipeg while building the flood diversion he called it a "sourman'(not sure of the spelling.) He sait the otherside was fastened to an old d9 that had extra weights on it said it was one of the best jobs he had growing up

  4. #4Wolf2010-02-02 13:45

    That is some pretty cool iron, Jason. Great pictures too. sounds like a good day exploring 'round Spokane.

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-02-02 23:13

    I LOVE THIS! This is a Washington 208 yarder, that last logged for Mayr Brothers out of Hoquiam Wa on Grays Harbor. It was purchased at auction by Mike Walch (Rainier Rigging, Auburn WA), and converted to this setup by Bill Paulson (McPaul Machine) at Centralia, WA. Last time i saw it it wasnt finished yet, I do have a bunch of build-up pics of it. (There are several others also built by the same group). The tube is mostly Washington 208, heavily modified. The track groups came off an American 480 Hyd Log Loader. The A-frame behind the cab is from a Washinton 108 Grapple yarder. My contribution was the counterweight, which came from a P&H 2500 Hyd log loader we scrapped at McPaul. (The P&H Track groups are under one of the other units, a Skagit). Thank you for posting these pics! Take and post more if you can! Someday I'll be able to post the construction pics as well. Awesome addition to the sight! Totally forgot these things even existed. I think Mike has others working in the Wenatchee area. He had 2 at Monroe working for Cadman, and probably still does............

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-02-02 23:16

    I was wrong above about the crawlers-- This set came off an LS6400 Link-Belt Mike picked up at RB Auction. The American 480 gear is under another (similar) yarder.

  7. #7JTL2010-02-03 09:06

    This machine is owned by Central Pre-Mix, which is an Oldcastle Materials company. Brian was telling us that they move it around to different pit locations through out the northwest to "yard" gravel. Its most likely the same one that was working in the Wenatchee area, at Central Washington Concrete, or Wenatchee Sand and Gravel. They have also moved it to Missoula, Montana a couple different times.He said they got the machine in 2005. The two working at Cadman, would be different machines. These are all the pictures I took of the machine. I would love to see the builing pictures you have some day. Mabey even show them to Brian.

  8. #8DoubleBitTimber2010-03-27 16:30

    All the FUN of "running" a yarder, without the risk of pulling out your guyback! Or having to deal with your hookers. lol

  9. #9245dlc2010-03-27 17:35

    Here's one just east of Winnipeg, I took these pictures when I was hauling sand from this outfit's pit. From what I understand the company's up for sale not that there is really much sand or gravel left to mine on the property. However the machine is still visible from Garven Rd. I have my doubt's as to whether or not they'll open up in the spring, cause as the season went on last year, as things broke they didn't repair them. First the rock crusher broke so they didn't fix that, then one of the loaders lost its brakes so it stayed that way, the other loader got a flat tire and they kept pumping it up then they stole a tire from the other loader which suffered the same fate. lol Then the "dredge" as they call it broke a cable and that was the end of the season at that point. lol

  10. #10monster truck2010-04-04 22:02

    Heres a video of one in action YouTube - Rainier Skyline Excavator Operating Video

  11. #11245dlc2010-04-04 22:30

    That's a far smoother running machine than the one I posted. And a far better operator too. I'll try and get some pictures of the machine my company uses in the coming weeks as the ice is breaking up on the pond at work.

  12. #12tripper_1742010-04-04 23:21

    I've used a lot of that material in years gone by building street and parking lots in Winnipeg back as far as when Frasers used to haul to us and before limestone took over. Never did go out to the pits so nice to see the pics..thanks!

  13. #13580bruce2010-04-05 00:00

    I liked the 245 they used for a deadhead in Wenatchee.I almost felt sad for the old girl.

  14. #14245dlc2010-04-05 19:37

    Yeah I'm working for Kachur's next door to what use to be Fraser's at least for the time being. I'll try and get some pictures of Kachur's skyline excavator thing (we just call it a dredge or dragline). It's a modified yarder as well and they modified it even more this past winter so instead of using an old Cat or trackhoe to hold the cable at the other end it's using the top piece of a dragline boom, they figure they can get more depth and empty the bucket better.

  15. #15mrrc2011-03-21 06:51

    Amazing shots. I have a contact that is in the early stages of planning a project in the Caribbean. Since I'm new - I cannot PM anyone. JTL / 24dlc - could you PM me and I can send my contact info. I'd love to get the names of the firms and more background on cost / and resources (engineering firms / manufacturers to reach out to). Thanks MC

  16. #16oregon96pd2011-03-21 20:47

    Wasnt (or maybe isnt) there a compamy that advertised this type of setup in my little salesman a few years back?

  17. #17Ryan Rønning2011-03-22 07:55

    Those are awesome pics.

  18. #18skadill2011-03-22 21:31

    Madill 90' Gravel Yarder Decided to put all the pics of this on here instead of the Madill thread.took these last spring.Eastern Fraser Valley,B.C.

  19. #19skadill2011-03-22 21:34

    more pics

  20. #200752011-03-22 22:37

    They certainly not loggers! see how the guylines are spooled I know a dozen linewinders that would roll over in their graves if they seen that.

  21. #21donkey doctor2011-03-23 00:17

    But there's no song with these like on utube.The song is great. Regards D.D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wnbAXheE0&NR=1

  22. #22Redneckin902012-04-01 00:56

    I helped build this massive piece of equipment at McPaul Machine in Centralia it weighed at the move to rock island 256000 pounds

  23. #23Redneckin902012-04-01 01:04

    I'm talking about the rainier drag line

  24. #24580bruce2012-04-01 09:19

    I think Ranier is set up shop in the little town of Entiat Wa.Drove by the old "Big toy" site the other day,and looks like its collecting some big iron!

  25. #25log frog2012-04-01 10:55

    Electric gravel yarder Somewhat off topic, but here is an electric powered gravel yarder on the east coast of New zealand

  26. #26Redwood Climber2012-04-01 11:20

    Hmmmm..... Let's see....Steel.....Water....Electricity....mix them together......I guess my Science teacher was wrong?

  27. #27SPMiller2012-04-02 02:55

    No he was right, maybe you're confused. The electricity and water shouldn't ever meet. Electric drive motor produce large amounts of instant torque, making the potential for them to be extremely efficient depending on the setup.. No one wants to electrify the pond lol

  28. #28BCC Tyee2012-04-03 23:31

    Im pretty sure thats a Saurman Tower Machine. I'm In the same business as Mike with Ranier Rigging only we don't sell the machines we just use them. We always recomend people to Mike because he definataly knows his stuff. We use a highly modified Skookum tyee winch on a large set of crawlers. I will try to get some pictures up. I'm located in southern IL. If anyone would like any info shoot me a pm or email.

  29. #29ROBHARE2014-02-07 12:57

    I work at a sand and gravel operation in Indiana and we are looking at one of these or or a dragline to excavate approximately 100,000 tons per year. does anyone know where i can find a good used machine?

  30. #30boardbysled2014-02-07 21:04

    Contact info is on this site. http://www.rainierskylineexcavators.com/