Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Contract Logger · 2010-02-05 23:49

Giant trucks, giant loads, giant machinery! Enjoy.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies3,345
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:55

    More B.C.

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:02

    MacMillan & Bloedel from the 1980's.

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:07

    More M&B.

  4. #4Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:12

    Canadian Show and Shine........

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:16

    Some of the Butch Carroll fleet.

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:22

    Terex and Euclid Logging Trucks.

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:27

    BC Logging Trucks.

  8. #8Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:32

    More.

  9. #9Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:37

    Roy Saunders Trucking- Then..........

  10. #10Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:40

    Roy Saunders Trucking- Now...... Rusting away in the weeds

  11. #11Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:44

    Saunders was a huge trucker on the island (Nanaimo BC) for years- slow now as you can see............ Except that they are restoring some of these beauties for the show circuit!

  12. #12Contract Logger2010-02-06 00:59

    16 Feet Wide and 300,000 Lbs Loaded!

  13. #13Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:06

    Blue and Whites at Zeballos BC.

  14. #14Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:10

    More Zeballos.

  15. #15Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:16

    BCFP on Vancouver Island British Columbia Forest Products also had several hundred trucks working.

  16. #16Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:24

    BCFP Pics, Continued.

  17. #17Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:31

    BCFP, Round 3.

  18. #18qball2010-02-06 01:34

    i have lived in illinois my whole life. those pictures make me homesick for a place i have never been. thanks for the incredible pictures.

  19. #19Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:37

    Well, if you ever get the chance, a week on Vancouver Island will make you crazy- if your into the truck-n-equipment sort of thing.:drinkup I'm hoping it turns out to be heaven when I die!

  20. #20Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:40

    BCFP, for the fans out there!

  21. #21Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:44

    And more.

  22. #22Contract Logger2010-02-06 01:58

    Big loads of the early 80's I love these old pics!

  23. #23Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:09

    Water Transportation The fallers cut the timber, then the loggers yard it to the road and load it onto trucks. The trucks often haul it to the water, where it is dumped in, then sorted by species and grade by little boom boats. Then finally it is barged or rafted to the mill- simply because 2 or 3 men can haul the equivalent of hundreds of truckloads, and all in one tow.

  24. #24Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:15

    Dumping loads into the water: . .

  25. #25Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:18

    Sorting by species and grade by 'Boom Boat' into rafts. Working on the water. .

  26. #26Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:22

    Making Rafts, in preparation for towing to the mill. .

  27. #27Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:27

    Water Work, Continued.

  28. #28Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:31

    Logging, around the island.... .

  29. #29Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:34

    Timber Topping, Vancouver Island Style!

  30. #30Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:36

    A few more cool pics.

  31. #31Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:47

    More Island Logging Operations......

  32. #32Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:50

    Island Hyd Log Loaders.

  33. #33Contract Logger2010-02-06 02:54

    Island Logging.

  34. #34RonG2010-02-06 05:05

    Fantastic pictures.........I too love looking at them and thank you for taking the time and effort to post them for us to see.Ron G

  35. #35Contract Logger2010-02-06 11:04

    The clearcuts do look horrible-- but with the rain and mild climate in 5 or so years they are completely green, and in 30 to 40 years are being looged again. Much of what is being logged now is actually 3rd growth. I was hesitant to post the ariel shots, as many don't understand the quick turnaround. Timber truly is a crop, and it is amazing to watch it grow!

  36. #36jhschul2872010-02-06 12:39

    I think you have the information and photo archive available to you to publish a fine pictorial on northwest logging....I'm sure it would sell. Anyway....carry on ! I always enjoy your posts and photo's. Do you have any info on the Hayes and Pacific logging trucks? Perhaps a build or spec sheet? It looks like they used a Kenworth W900 cab. I'm just curious about horsepower,transmission ect. used in those rigs.

  37. #37Contract Logger2010-02-06 13:53

    I can round up some literature, yes. These trucks were custom built and used many different cabs, Kenworth included. The Hayes and Pacifics were built right there in BC, per customer spec, and were hell for stout as hou can see. Alot of the trucks in this thread are Kenworth 850's- hugely popular in the Island. Also a few Mack CL350's- another monster logger built for BC. I'll see if I can scan some sales literature on these for you.

  38. #38Contract Logger2010-02-07 02:16

    Island Pacific Logging Using a Cupress 7280 Yarder, Cypress Snorkel, and Hayes HDX Truck, all ex-Hayes Forest Products.

  39. #39Contract Logger2010-02-07 02:19

    Big Equipment, Big Loads, Steep Ground. BC Loggers.

  40. #40Contract Logger2010-02-07 02:26

    Last Round, Island Pacific.

  41. #41expatracer2010-02-07 02:32

    a friend of mine was telling me that the pacifics where built right he in north vancouver !! a friend of his that worked there has a web site with pictures of them being built. i think this is the web site: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/cory_ellwyn.htm i would love a chance to drive or go for a ride in one of those big monsters

  42. #42DigDug2010-02-07 10:22

    Great pictures! It's a far cry from my familys one cable skidder hand cutting operation.

  43. #43grapple12010-02-07 11:10

    Beautiful stuff. One of the better collections i've seen. I used to have a good one but the computer lost it all. Re-starting now. I recognize some of the machines, places, etc. But the 7280 and 7230 and HDX of Lyle's take the cake for me.

  44. #44stormdodger2010-02-07 13:08

    Yes Contract ....great collection.

  45. #45Wolf2010-02-07 15:59

    great logging pics. huge trees too.

  46. #46EGS2010-02-07 16:54

    Those are some serious log trucks! They are not afraid to load those old girls up! Contract Logger I really enjoy your pictures. Keep them coming!

  47. #47Autocar2010-02-07 20:18

    Great pictures ! Thanks for scharing all of them,looks like alot of top heavy loads and a equipment junkie heaven for a guy like me

  48. #48Hayesno12010-02-10 15:10

    Hayes trucks Sure you are right about "Vancouver Island, BC, Logging as it's best." Hope to see more pictures of Hayes logging trucks - But! I don't mind you are using my pictures but please ask for my permission. Saunders has been very slow for the last 5-10 years. The industy has been very slow and most of the heavy equipment are parked all around the Island. It's a shame. Kim

  49. #49spitzair2010-02-10 17:06

    What a great bunch of pictures! Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy going to Vancouver Island, always great pictures to be taken and lots of machinery to go and explore! Can't wait to go back!

  50. #50Contract Logger2010-02-13 19:28

    I have in fact used other peoples pictures here and will be more careful in the future. I apologize to those involved, and will not supplement my pics with thiers in the future. Sorry Kim, your pics are great- a Hayes thread would be a huge hit on this site. They are as much equipment as they are truck after all, eh?

  51. #51trakloader2010-02-20 15:10

    Yarding and Loading, Queen Charlotte Islands Various yarders and loaders in action.

  52. #52trakloader2010-02-20 15:21

    More Good Stuff More of my collection.

  53. #53Contract Logger2010-02-20 15:26

    Beautiful Pics. Got any more good shots of that Tyee with the tlescoping tube? What the heck is that tower and where did it come from? I havent seen one like it before......

  54. #54lancef2010-02-20 15:37

    Great pics,keep im coming.

  55. #55trakloader2010-02-20 15:39

    More Pics Some more. Unloading a backhoe.

  56. #56Contract Logger2010-02-20 15:44

    Your pics are awesome.

  57. #57trakloader2010-02-20 15:57

    Backhoe, Continued Unloading

  58. #58trakloader2010-02-20 15:59

    Tyee K-166A. I'll add more pics shortly.....

  59. #59trakloader2010-02-20 16:04

    Tyee K-166A 120ft. telescoping tower, manufactured by Tyee Machinery Works, in Vancouver, BC. One of the best yarders ever made, yet they are almost unknown.

  60. #60trakloader2010-02-20 16:11

    More M&B Pics Some more nostalgia.

  61. #61trakloader2010-02-20 16:17

    M&B Roadbuilding, 1970's Back in the day....

  62. #62trakloader2010-02-20 16:21

    More M&B Road Construction, 1978 The way it was in Dad's day.

  63. #63trakloader2010-02-20 16:26

    M&B Roadbuilding, 1970's Some more shots from 1978.

  64. #64trakloader2010-02-20 16:29

    Ka-Booom! Blasting.

  65. #65trakloader2010-02-20 16:34

    M&B 1978 Road and Bridge Construction Building roads and bridges.

  66. #66Contract Logger2010-02-20 16:36

    Incredible pics as always. Thank you for all these.

  67. #67trakloader2010-02-20 17:06

    More Good Stuff The good old days....

  68. #68trakloader2010-02-20 17:17

    Some More Good Stuff It never ends, I could post all day for weeks......

  69. #69trakloader2010-02-20 17:23

    More M&B Pics They keep coming........

  70. #70trakloader2010-02-20 17:29

    More M&B Pics And some more.......

  71. #71trakloader2010-02-20 17:37

    More Good Stuff The pics speak for themselves.

  72. #72trakloader2010-02-20 17:44

    Some More........ More old stuff.

  73. #73JTL2010-02-20 17:48

    I am loving this! Thanks to you guys for taking the time to post all of your awesome pictures. I grew up around logging but have never been exposed to machines the size of the ones your posting. A 300 log shovel, a 748 JD skidder or a 528 Cat, a GT3 Skagit or 98 Link Belt yarder is about the biggest things we get to see here in North Idaho. Keep it up!!:drinkup

  74. #74trakloader2010-02-20 17:52

    More Logging Good thing the high speed is working good today!

  75. #75trakloader2010-02-20 18:12

    And Still More........ Man, I had no idea that there were so many pics on my hard drive.

  76. #76willd8r2010-02-20 18:13

    One advantage of being older we can look back and say, been there, done that,the younger generation can't,Health & safety are strangling us cheers

  77. #77Contract Logger2010-02-20 18:15

    OK I had to go eat but I'm back now. Where can I join the trackloader fan club? Your pics are the greatest, I cant wait for more. Post at your own pace, but please, keep posting.

  78. #78trakloader2010-02-20 18:33

    Winter Scenes The most wonderful time of the year........

  79. #79hvy 1ton2010-02-20 18:35

    Great pics trakloader and contract logger. I knew the island logging was big iron and wood, but good lord that is some heavy stuff. I am now convinced that Vancover Island is where logger heaven should be if isn't already. I like the picture of the cable loader with one track 2-3' in the air lifting a log. And is it just my imagination or is that hitachi roadbuilder a 650?

  80. #80trakloader2010-02-20 18:46

    That's all for today, I'll post more tomorrow.

  81. #81trakloader2010-02-20 18:49

    Hitachi 450

  82. #82Contract Logger2010-02-20 18:54

    Thank you for posting. Now, watch the numbers of people viewing these threads over the next few days, and the comments that will come from literally all over the globe. Makes the whole thing worth it in my view, just to show people back east who have never had the pleasure of working around these machines. Thank you from all of us for the time out of you day to post.

  83. #83ScottAR2010-02-21 03:00

    Simply WOW...

  84. #84Autocar2010-02-21 16:46

    Great pictures even greater equipment I can't believe how big of loads they haul on those trucks. Man you lay one of those loads over on a curve you would have to go home and change your pants ! If you survived ! What amazes me is all the familys that were raised from jobs that were created and now mostly gone pretty darn sad .

  85. #85Wolf2010-02-21 17:57

    awesome trees you guys get to log up there. are there any big ones left? love the road blasting shots too. that looks like a lot of fun.

  86. #86KenAl2010-02-27 00:15

    More Pictures In the spirit of Vancouver Island Logging

  87. #87KenAl2010-02-27 00:18

    More More Vancouver Island pictures

  88. #88Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:19

    WOW! Great pics! Did you work for Cypress? These look like factory photos!

  89. #89KenAl2010-02-27 00:21

    More....... More to come..........

  90. #90Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:21

    On the wall at Madill's lunchroom in Nanaimo used to be a poster of an 044 with a rubber mtd 810 loading under it- both machines were yellow and white- I loved that pic! Great 810 conversion pics here!!

  91. #91KenAl2010-02-27 00:23

    still more..... still more.....

  92. #92KenAl2010-02-27 00:25

    a lot of scanning! a lot of scanning!

  93. #93Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:25

    This orange yarder in the last pic- what is it and what did it weigh?

  94. #94KenAl2010-02-27 00:27

    Contract Logger Hold on I am still loading pictures.

  95. #95Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:28

    Dont stop scanning.........Ever! You must have had a Cypress connection for sure!

  96. #96KenAl2010-02-27 00:29

    Still more to come...

  97. #97KenAl2010-02-27 00:31

    pictures to share, Scan copy,use,send,save etc.

  98. #98Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:32

    The Viewspar in the bottom pic- first Viewspar pic on the forum for sure. Can barely see it though,

  99. #99Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:35

    Awesome pics. Some of the neatest I've seen (trackloader is right there, though, lol) of these machines new and shiny. Usually I see them old rusty and abandoned.

  100. #100KenAl2010-02-27 00:37

    pictures to share,use,copy crop,save etc

  101. #101Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:39

    Loading tree-length right over the cab! Love it!

  102. #102KenAl2010-02-27 00:39

    One more set left, then I'm done...

  103. #103KenAl2010-02-27 00:42

    sorry if I doubled any up. That was a lot!

  104. #104Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:45

    Scanning pics is a time-consuming hassle, no doubt about it. Thank you for taking the time, these pics are great! No doubt fron the 1970's and early 80's. Many people havent seen this before- I have but dont have many good pics of BC. Words cannot describe it.....

  105. #105KenAl2010-02-27 00:55

    Contract logger. Couldn't tell you on the orange yarder. All the pictures were out of an album that was lost amongst old files and books. It pre dates my era by about 10 years but I am familiar with the company.........

  106. #106Contract Logger2010-02-27 00:58

    What great old pics- history really. Where did you find the album? They look like factory/delivery photos. Some of these machines must still be around somwhere.

  107. #107KenAl2010-02-27 11:21

    Some of the equipment and the companies are still around. It was neat to scan the pictures then zoom in and read the names of the companies. I have been in most of those camps on Vancouver Island and the north coast.

  108. #108KenAl2010-02-27 11:29

    Here is another neat machine. This is up the canyon just out of Chemainus, right on the mainline. I took it about 6 years ago. look at the train wheels that have been stacked together and the edges cut off.

  109. #109KenAl2010-02-27 11:32

    some more........

  110. #110trakloader2010-02-27 13:40

    Looks like an early 7280.

  111. #111trakloader2010-02-27 13:45

    I never knew they made 5675's on tracks! All I've ever seen were on rubber. They were sure a good machine, just the right size.

  112. #112trakloader2010-02-27 13:54

    Here you go, the driver is the biggest guy in the pictures.

  113. #113trakloader2010-02-27 14:01

    Hdx wreck, part two.....the recovery Up she goes, the driver drove it back to the shop, both truck and driver were hauling the next day.

  114. #114trakloader2010-02-27 14:09

    Part three, hdx wreck More pics.

  115. #115trakloader2010-02-27 14:22

    More QCI Logging More from my collection.

  116. #116trakloader2010-02-27 14:30

    More QCI Logging And a few more.

  117. #117trakloader2010-02-27 14:46

    Grader Mishap Dad pulled over too far for a logging truck. Dead-Eye to the rescue!

  118. #118trakloader2010-02-27 14:49

    Coiling up the Strap Dad and Dead-Eye.

  119. #119trakloader2010-02-27 14:55

    Shop Foreman Inspecting Buried Backhoe Brand new UH-181 got caught in a slide.

  120. #120trakloader2010-02-27 15:06

    More From the 70's The good old days, before my time....

  121. #121trakloader2010-02-27 15:13

    More Good Stuff Let the pictures speak for themselves........

  122. #122Contract Logger2010-02-27 15:21

    These are great! I see the Skagit BU80 builder's plate- do you have pics of that machine, or can you tell us about it? Also- I have seen the Alliford Bay trucks (rusting) all over BC. Where was Alliford Bay located, or did they run a bunch of different camps? Sorry- just curious is all, I have seen a few of thier trucks on Vancouver Island.

  123. #123trakloader2010-02-27 15:21

    More Good Stuff I'm running out, time to get that scanner going again.

  124. #124trakloader2010-02-27 15:27

    More QCI Logging More stuff.

  125. #125Contract Logger2010-02-27 15:29

    Great pics as always. That Hitachi shovel is makin' some dust!

  126. #126trakloader2010-02-27 15:33

    More QCI Logging From 1968.

  127. #127trakloader2010-02-27 15:38

    More Good Stuff Some more.

  128. #128trakloader2010-02-27 16:18

    That plate was off an original Madill steel spar. As you know, the early Madill spars had various Skagit, Tyee, etc. winches on them. Alliford Bay is on Moresby Island, the company started there. They operated at various locations in BC, but are now defunct.

  129. #129Contract Logger2010-02-27 16:57

    The map cover pic rocks. Imagine the weight, and how top-heavy! Sometimes you wonder if they loaded up, snapped a pic, then tore some of it down pre-travel. That pic is obviously real, but wow..........

  130. #130trakloader2010-02-27 17:00

    I seem to recall the loader operator got Hell for that. It took all day teetering that truck to camp. There are quite a few pictures of that load.

  131. #131Contract Logger2010-02-27 17:02

    I'll bet he did. I'd love to see more. Anybody get a weight or scale on that load.

  132. #132trakloader2010-02-27 17:25

    Some Newer Pictures Taken earlier this year. E&A Logging Cypress 7280 grapple yarders. The blue one is ex-Gildersleeve Logging.

  133. #133Contract Logger2010-02-27 17:31

    Was the Gildersleeve machine ever in Alaska? I see Keaton Gildersleeve once in awhile, not often, but they had a couple up here. The crew called it the 'Blue Goose', but I never did get to see it...........

  134. #134trakloader2010-02-27 17:33

    More Recent Pics 7280's, etc.

  135. #135KenAl2010-02-27 17:44

    Alliford Bay now Oyster River Logging (ORL) using the old Crown Z/Timberwest shop in Courtenay. Also have IPL Island Pacific Logging and there might also be another name they use also.

  136. #136trakloader2010-02-27 17:46

    Yes, the owner of E&A went up with the operator to buy both the 7280, and a 7230C. The 7280 was the replacement for that abortion called a Madill 143. After the last time it tipped over, they decided to buy another 7280. GY-3 was the original E&A 7280, they bought it to replace the Tyee grapple yarder. (only one built, even bigger abortion than the 143)

  137. #137Contract Logger2010-02-27 17:51

    Have you got any pics of the Tyee grapple yarder?? That would sure be cool to see! You are pretty hard on the poor 143, lol. Some of the biggest, coolest machines built werent exactly sucessful in real-world application. Lots of makes and models come to mind. Thanks you guys for all the info, very interesting stuff indeed.

  138. #138trakloader2010-02-27 18:03

    I think the only picture of the Tyee GY is the one in the old E&A ad that used to be in Trucklogger Magazine. Last time I saw it was about 1998. The machine caught fire and burned down, no insurance. That 143 was a crime against loggers, it was so tippy I'm surprised they even let it leave the factory. To make it worse, all the hydraulic lines were just big hoses, placed helter skelter all over the machine. Constantly blowing. After it fell flat on its face for the last time, insurance rebuilt it, and it was immediately put up for adoption. I wonder who got it? Only 12 were built before they went to the 144.

  139. #139Contract Logger2010-03-01 01:28

    Big Gantry-Style Log Handlers Here's another big truck unloading contraption. Built mostly by Cypress, there were a few of these up and down the coast. Thorne Bay had an identicle one, but the only thing left off it is the grapple, which is pictured below. Note my friend there standing under it.

  140. #140Paystar2010-03-05 00:33

    I think these are the real truckers:drinkup Never mind all the shows about "ice road truckers". They should have made a show about these guys.....coming down the mountains in the "fat trucks". I've been on the ice and there's far more danger in this kind of logging. Awesome pics. It's too bad the glory days of logging in BC are over. There's nothing like a Hayes/Pacific/Challenger.

  141. #141thejdman042010-03-06 14:37

    Impressive loads, some of them trucks piled way up, the center of gravity has to be mighty high and hard to control.

  142. #142grapple12010-03-10 00:27

    If Cypress built it, then it was designed by Mantle Industries as well as partially fabricated by Mantle.

  143. #143grapple12010-03-10 00:30

    them 7280's need to over haul

  144. #144Contract Logger2010-03-18 02:25

    May have been all Mantle- One of the Madill/Cypress owners showed me this pic and told me they built them. Alot of things those *&^%$#@ said have turned out to be bogus. Sorry group that last one was, ruined the company.

  145. #145grapple12010-03-18 16:40

    I guess without Cypress we never would have seen all these juicers liek the 2800, 2850, 3800, 2250, etc, etc. The real shame is the younger generations only know Madill for these units

  146. #146spitzair2010-03-18 18:35

    I came across this thing a few days ago. It's sitting on the side of a log sort right on the ocean. Nobody was around to find out anything about it but it looks to me like they used it to put bundles of logs into the water or lift them out........ Enjoy! If you guys want more pictures I can zip over and take a few more... Maybe if I'm lucky there'll be somebody there to talk to about it...

  147. #147Contract Logger2010-03-18 22:22

    Very cool! Looks like a Manitowoc, maybe a 4100 or 4600? I dont know enough about them. That grapple looks like it means business too! What would be really cool is a pic or 2 of a Hayes or Challenger underneath being unloaded. I understand things are slow so that may not even be possible. Cool pics for sure, and thanks a million for thinking of us and posting. This is a big crane, and it's not common to see a crane in this application anymore, thats for sure.

  148. #148grapple12010-03-19 00:29

    I vote Manitowoc too. I figure ti was probably dewatering right where it sits on top of those piles. The tops of the piles all damaged from skidding the logs over them. the crane could very well get used this year being in squamish. i can think of 3 dryland sorts on the north island area that still use cable machines to dewater when required. I is an OLD Lima, similar to these pics, one is a 7230 Cypress with a long customized boom and the 3rd I cant remember but i am going there tomorrow, I 'll try to get a pic or 2. I got to price out repowering an old manitowoc 4000 from an old GM to a new 60 series. on a piledriver. Very sensitive splitter box setup if I remember correctly

  149. #149grapple12010-03-19 00:32

    The picture of the big white grapple with the guy under it, are those jaws hydraulicaly actuated?

  150. #150Contract Logger2010-03-19 00:36

    Yes they were- 4 small cyliders, 2 on each leg, still on there. Pretty amazing, they hung by block and line. much like the big grapples on the Lima i the Alaska equipment rusting thread I posted last night. PS- Got yer PM, Gonna get back with you on that. Everything you said about those clowns is the truth. Learned it the hard way firsthand.......

  151. #151spitzair2010-03-19 23:59

    Contract Logger and Grapple1, you guys are pretty sharp! That thing is indeed a Manitowoc, but I have no idea what model... I'll see if I can find some time tomorrow to look at it some more. I doubt it'll get used this year, it's sitting here in Stewart, BC and there's not many logs to be found at the sort... But ya never know... If I do make it down there I'll post more pictures!

  152. #152Driver6252010-03-20 09:05

    These pictures are amazing. I would love to see more of them! Makes me wish I had been born earlier and chosen a different career path.

  153. #153Dave Hadden2010-03-26 23:43

    Having stumbled upon some pics posted at another site by "Alaskan Logger" I discovered he was a regular here and contributed many photos to this thread as well. So, I introduced myself over there with the following, modified somewhat to accomodate this venue. My history....more or less... So I came to this site and was blown away by the variety of pics of machines I used to buy parts for as well as the guys I know in the industry who were mentioned in the pages I've read...so far. I started in logging in 1969 when I became the Warehouseman for Tahsis Co. Ltd. at their Gold River Logging Division. I spent four years there and watched the evolution of yarding change from high lead to grapple yarding right before my eyes. When I started we ran six sides but soon bought a couple more yarders (Washington Skylok was one) and then we double-shifted four grapple yarding sides so we were essentially producing 12 sides worth of production by 1972 or so. The best one day production back then was 42 loads to the beach, most carried on P-16s or HDX's although we did have a few smaller Pacifics that ran 4640 Timkens and 1200x24 tires rather than 91000 Clarks and 1400x25 tires. Loaders included a TL-5, a TL-6, a TL-15, a Bucyrus 30-B and another American we called the "Fair Harbor American" which was an electric over air over hydraulic set-up with a centre tube that had about 20 electrical connections on it, each of which controlled air valves that then activated the hydraulics. Naturally I may be slightly off in my recollections so feel free to correct me on technical details but that's how I remember that machine. It came to us from Fair Harbour and was a project we worked on in the shop at Gold River one winter. Lots of other machines there of interest but like most people I didn't take pics or think it would ever end. We had the first SST Skagit Grapple Yarder ever built, serial #1001 there (Side 6) as well as a Sparmatic, some Madills and a Washington Skylok Hydraulic Tension Yarder. Can't remember what else we had for yarders and loaders etc. 'cause it was a long time ago. Some of you might know a fellow named Bob Bagley, mechanic for Trican for many years. He was an apprentice mechanic at Gold River Logging when I worked there, some 41 years ago. From there I went working for a small gyppo in Campbell River for a few months then went to Juskatla for MacMillan Bloedel as the Warehouse Supervisor there. Pretty standardized fleet there with mostly all 90' Madills and American loaders. P-16 log trucks as I recall. No Cats bigger than a D-7 and much shovel and pad work building roads up there too. From there I went to BCFP Ltd. at the Renfrew Logging Division as their Warehouseman/Buyer. I spent eight years there and it was much the same as most logging camps back then. They had Skagit SST Grapple Yarder serial #10003 and I think Chum Carley from that area had serial #10002. Those Skagits mostly ended up at Lemare Lake Logging in Port McNeill where they served a variety of functions for the Duke and his boys many years later. I got caught in the squeeze of the '80's and was bumped off in 1984 from BCFP and barely survived the next year or so before going to work for Dave Husby at Eden Lake in the Charlottes in 1986. He had six of those Mack CL350-ST logging trucks working as well as a couple of Pacifics and a Hayes. MB at Menzies Bay had 13 of those Macks as I recall. There were only 26 ever made and I think they all came to BC. He also had a fleet of International dump trucks that had originally been built to work in the desert but were part of the embargo on stuff gpoing to the Middle East during the Reagan years so became available here. Designed to work in the desert and ended up in one of the wettest places in BC. I always thought that was ironic for some reason. From there I went to work for Island Mack Truck Sales out of Nanaimo and opened a one man store at Sandspit in the Charlottes selling heavy duty truck parts and stuff to MB, Crown, Alliford Bay Logging, Frank Beban, (I was there when he died), Edwards and Associates and a few other small contractors there. In 1990 we shut that store down (South Moresby Lyell Island diminished market etc.) and I moved to Campbell River where I still live. I spent four years on the road for Island Mack all around the northern Vancouver Island area and knew many of the loggers/contractors during that time. Sold lots of parts to Butch Carrol, Dennis Dystant, Borer Trucking/Logging, MB Menzies, Canfor at Woss and others too. Thanks a lot for posting your pics here, those of you that have them. Brings back a lot of memories from the '60's right through to 2000 of my time in and around the industry. I appreciate your efforts. Take care.

  154. #154Dave Hadden2010-03-26 23:58

    For my second post I'm modifying one I made at the other site which will give a bit more history as I recall it. I’ve read a couple more pages into the thread above and am still blown away. When I worked for Husby at Eden Lake from September ’86 until May ’87 he had a Sikorsky S64-E flying wood and I got to see it in action a few times. One day I went over to what we called the West camp to salvage a bunch of XT3 Cat fittings and in the morning there was no wood along the road when I went in but in the afternoon when I came back out there were logs windrowed for a very long distance and I remember being amazed by how much wood had been moved in the past five hours or so. Each rotor on that thing was 50’ long and it was 112’ across as I recall. The drive shaft was around a foot thick and the engines were de-tuned to 2400 HP. It had to land to refuel every certain number of minutes (42??) and had a safety release that wouldn’t allow it to lift more than 24,000 lbs . The Premier of BC then was Bill Vander Zalm and he visited when I was there and did a turn in that backwards facing seat they have while the machine flew logs. Most guys puke trying to ride there as it’s very disorienting but he came off it like a giddy school kid and claimed to have loved it. Husby made a lot of money flying that thing in the Charlottes and when Silver Grizzly gave up their deal with Erickson Husby et al formed Canadian Aircrane and became the agent for Erickson in BC….or something similar. I’m just writing this stuff from memories which may not always be 100% accurate so forgive me my errors should you discern any. Anyway, really a treat for me to see these pics and think back to those days. The ‘60’s and ‘70’s were heady times in the industry and I recall that we (BCFP) made the best profit ever in 1979, some 98 million net. That led to investments like purchasing ERT, joint investments with Domans and more investments at MacKenzie too. Things changed in 1980 of course and within two years we were all bleeding and interest rates were ridiculously high. The ‘80’s saw the beginning of major changes in the industry here in BC both in the methodology of logging and in the type of wood being logged as second growth plantations started to be harvested without using fallers, yarders, landing buckers, chasers, chokermen, rigging slingers and hooktenders. I never saw a load of second growth wood in the 60's or 70's. Hydraulic machines took over from the older cable machines for the most part and feller buncher type machines aka processors were used in areas suitable for them. The number of jobs available in the industry continued to shrink and some smaller outfits worked claims where at the end they might be lucky to net a small profit but the glory days were gone for good. As a Warehouseman/Buyer type guy I didn’t often get a chance to watch logging as I worked from my office attached to the warehouse and usually the shop too. I usually had a couple of mics near my desk as I answered all incoming radio traffic to the shop as well as all phone calls. One of the major assets I had when I started was I’d already done three years in the Canadian Navy as a Radio-Operator so had excellent communication skills, something that is important when dealing a lot on the radio or on the phone. I was also used to multi-tasking (no passengers on warships) used to responsibility, used to being organized and had a good enough brain on me that what I didn’t know I was able to learn quickly. I could type like a demon and had good hand writing skills too, a product of navy training. Working that type of job was always interesting with rarely a dull moment as I basically bought, received, stored and then issued everything it took to operate a large modern logging camp circa 1969-2000 while keeping accurate accounting of what went where and when. Good reading skills and the ability to decipher exploded schematics helped a lot and one of my little finds one day was that the schematic for the brake system on a Galion grader was exactly the same as the schematic for the brake system on a Cat 14-G grader, both being basically identical. Except one had Cat part numbers and one had Galion part numbers. I made two phone calls, one to Finning for a quote on a list of brake parts using Cat part numbers and the other to BC Equipment (I think) who was the Galion dealer then. I gave them the same list with Galion numbers and asked for a quote. To my surprise the quote from Finning was over a hundred bucks cheaper than BC Equipment. I photocopied the page from the Cat parts book and taped it in the Galion parts book and we bought all those parts from Finning when required from then on. Lots of ways a guy could save a few bucks when buying parts and stuff and that was something I became half decent at back then. I had a heckuva time changing from a Buyer to a Seller as my buyers instincts often had to be supressed to complete a sale when I really wanted to tell the guy where he could get it cheaper elsewhere. Ah well... More later when I have more time. For now... Take care.

  155. #155Dave Hadden2010-03-27 00:06

    For my third post I'm just reiterating my thanks to those of you who have posted so many neat pics, but specially Contract Logger and Trakloader. We must know some people in common somewhere along the line so maybe we can explore that sometime. For now I'm hoping I've qualified to start posts, just in case I wanna start something. LOL Take care.

  156. #156Autocar2010-03-27 19:34

    Great read Dave , I bet you also have alot of great storys about loggers and machines. Welcome

  157. #157trakloader2010-03-27 20:16

    Oooops This was the result of night shift mechanics trying to move a Cypress 7230R without locking the swing. Nobody was hurt, but one guy was hanging on to the gantry for dear life as she was going over.

  158. #158trakloader2010-03-27 20:20

    Logging Postcard From the early 60's.

  159. #159trakloader2010-03-27 20:23

    Pictures from the Really Old Days Juskatla, BC, circa 1955.

  160. #160trakloader2010-03-27 20:26

    More from the Archives I have tons.

  161. #161trakloader2010-03-27 20:28

    Parbuckle Dump, Continued...... And more........

  162. #162Bumpsteer2010-03-27 23:03

    Excellent pics. Keep 'em coming! Ed

  163. #163Hayesno12010-03-28 03:33

    Husby Mack CL350 ST Great reading - you have been around and seen a lot. I have visit many of the places(my holidays in Canada) but most places operation had been shot down. To bad. I really like to visit QCI some day. Re. Mack CL350 ST 27 were made. They were build in Canada and all were sold in BC. MB got 12 starting with #H435 and last got unit no #H446. Husby got 7. The rest were sold to small contractors. Today many are still in operation. Last I heard Husby still had 5 or 6 going strong, BenWest logging got 6. Olympic Forest Products got 3(2 of them are old MB unit #H441 and H444). There is a local contractor in Holberg that has one - old Butch Carroll truck. MB #H443 is still operating North of Campbell River, but I guess you have seen her. Clyak had no. #7 for sale in 2006/2007 at Tom Turners place, but I don't know who bought her or if she was scrapped. I know that MB units H437 and H438 are scrapped/gone. In 2005 I took some pictures of a CL350 North of Campbell River - I think it is a Husby truck but you can maybe identify if she is a Husby truck. The blue truck is the Butch Carroll truck. Take care. Cheers!

  164. #164trakloader2010-03-29 00:45

    Cypress 7230R Log Loader Crossing the bridge for the last time, I believe it was transferred from QC Division to Northwest Bay. YouTube - LOGGING MACHINERY ON THE MOVE! CYPRESS 72-30R

  165. #165trakloader2010-03-29 00:54

    American 5675 Log Loader Loading a Hayes HDX in 1978. YouTube - LOG LOADER IN ACTION, 1978

  166. #166trakloader2010-03-29 00:59

    More Log Loading in 1978. 5675 operated by The Black Swede, one of the best operators of the day. YouTube - LOG LOADER IN ACTION, AMERICAN 5675, 1978

  167. #167trakloader2010-03-29 01:08

    5675 on its way to a new setting, 1978 This was the first rubber mounted American at M&B's Queen Charlotte Division. YouTube - LOGGING MACHINERY ON THE MOVE, AMERICAN 5675 LOG LOADER,1978

  168. #168trakloader2010-03-29 01:18

    Up in the Cab, Loading Logs in 1978 6-71 roaring away, loading logs. YouTube - LOG LOADER, INSIDE CAB, 1978

  169. #169trakloader2010-03-29 01:22

    More in the cab Action, 1978 The good old days. YouTube - LOG LOADER IN ACTION, IN THE CAB WITH OLD FRITZ!

  170. #170trakloader2010-03-29 01:26

    Tyee K-166 and American 5675 at Work, 1978 Yarding and loading some nice spruce logs. YouTube - LOGGING! YARDING AND LOADING BIG SPRUCE, 1978

  171. #171trakloader2010-03-29 01:31

    Landing a Turn, 1978 Tyee K-166 landing a turn, that 12V71 really had to work on this setting! YouTube - YARDING, LANDING A TURN, 1978

  172. #172trakloader2010-03-29 01:35

    Moving a Heavy Spruce Log Looks pretty heavy, they were just dislodging the log so they could get the choker around it. YouTube - MOVING HUGE SPRUCE, 1978

  173. #173trakloader2010-03-29 01:44

    Loading Logs, 1978 Loading with a wooden long boom, I believe they were called a "Luckhurst boom". YouTube - LOADING A LOGGING TRUCK, 1978

  174. #174Dave Hadden2010-04-01 00:02

    Howdy again. Nice to get some more info on those Macks although it varies somewhat with time and place it seems. I had coffee with Tom Turner yesterday and we talked a bit about them too. He remembered you visiting he claimed. We both think that only 26 were built and while originally 12 went to M&B Menzies they later got another one so had 13. Husby had six when I worked for him in 1986. Irving Olson had two, Thompson had one and Tom wasn't sure who had the others. He rebuilt three of them for MB at his place when they were changing the cabs on them. I remember Tom and MB Master Mechanic Ron Gunn going roundy-round on those things too. MB Menzies had two or three different types of cabs built on them over the years as I recall. One CL-350 fell off the road somewhere over near Zeballos and remains there to this day Tom recalled and another was wrecked elsewhere. He thought the one Butch Carrol has is an old MB truck but wasn't sure. I should tell you that Tom and I go back nearly 48 years now as we met in 1962. His brother Len (RIP) used to date one of my sisters way back when. Anyway, while I did work a number of different places I never thought to take pics of them and the machines I bought parts for so it's really a treat to see all the neat ones you guys post here. I'm not an avid fan of heavy equipment in the same way some of you obviously are but I always enjoyed watching them work and had lots of respect for the men who operated them too. Some guys just seemed to have a natural talent and I remember a guy named Mel Schimenoski who went from being a Greaser in the shop at Gold River to operating the new Skagit SST grapple yarder (Side 6) when it arrived in 1968. It was different from the old towers with their levers and frictions and all that and Mel just had the right feel for it. Later, when we bought a Washington Skylok tension yarder which was operated totally in a different manner than the old friction machines, the rep who came with the machine told us that it was easier to train a green guy to run that machine than to take an old operator and convert him. The old operators kept looking for pedals and frictions that weren't there he said. Anyway, I wish I'd paid more attention to some of the machines I saw but the nature of the job of Warehouseman means you learn and/or know a little bit about a lot of different things rather than being an expert in any one thing.....for the most part. I can still recite most of the part numbers for a lot of truck parts off the top of my head though so it did help to have a decent memory and a good head for numbers I guess. Nowadays my wife claims I forget everything. Dunno why that is though. LOL Thanks again for your pics and vids. I really dig them. Take care.

  175. #175Murk1002010-04-02 02:30

    I'm sure this is the same old beast... Copper Canyon

  176. #176trakloader2010-04-02 02:41

    You just HAD to paint "Mettalica" on it, huh? Is that the one the museum wanted, but it was too heavy to move, or something like that? It looks to be in pretty nice condition, considering its age.

  177. #177trakloader2010-04-02 02:46

    Somewhere, I know not where.... I have a good article on the M&B Menzies Bay Mack rebuilds from the "Westcoast Logger" magazine. I sure wish I could find the #$%& thing!!

  178. #178Murk1002010-04-02 03:09

    It wasn't me:spaz It would be nice to see it in the Duncan museum. I was on the I-5 a few years ago someware around Tacoma and went into a Foresty Museum, and low and behold there was one of these gargantuans all rigged up banjo head fairleads,loading boom,steam pot,on rails,no camera, awsome. If someone out their has some pics.POSTM please:usa

  179. #179trakloader2010-04-02 14:44

    I think I saw that on YouTube somewhere.... Can't remember where, though! :beatsme

  180. #180Murk1002010-04-02 16:12

    TD-25 backspar apx. 1978 CZ Nanaimo Lks. we used these before someone came up with the idea of using excavators...

  181. #181trakloader2010-04-02 16:25

    Neat, I remember one of those being parked in the yard when I was a kid! It was on a D8H. Dad says they used it with the tower, too, in a couple of settings. I don't know what happened to the cat, but the pipe was still sitting in the boneyard a couple of years ago.

  182. #182Murk1002010-04-03 11:37

    The were quite the rig !!! not to good off the rd, a lot of weight hanging off the blade. In long yarding we us to take the winch line out, throw the bite around a stump and back too the top off the pipe(guyline), a bit off a pain but it kept her on the rd. I remember leaving my lunch bucket on the track moving this thing and their it was completely crunched. $100 thermos wallet keys food....

  183. #183Iron Art2010-04-03 12:35

    A page or two back there were some pics of some old railroad Iron. Heres the web site for the Tacoma WA. Point Defiance park, Camp 6 display. http://www.camp-6-museum.org/c6.html Enjoy, Fred

  184. #184Murk1002010-04-03 16:07

    Thanks Freds!! I think that the one.

  185. #185Big Iron2010-04-03 23:54

    you guys might want to check out this web site from Vannatta bros logging. http://www.vannattabros.com/histlog.html lots of OR WA logging history

  186. #186spitzair2010-04-05 14:03

    Well I went back to the Manitowoc yesterday and lo and behold it had moved! So I shot a few more pictures. Today I see it's working so I'll see if I can't find some time to go over and take a few more pictures of it in action! Until then here are the pictures I took yesterday!

  187. #187trakloader2010-04-06 02:07

    I believe the yellow 5675 is Thompson Logging's machine, later M&B L-18, the same rusted out looking one in some of my pics.

  188. #188Murk1002010-04-06 12:25

    I saw a few pics of the Madill 6280 in here somewhere. I'm not positive on this! but this is how I think it played out. The 6280 was traded in on a new 124 from a company in Chetwynd BC here they are. I believe Ted Leroy Truckings 6280 went swimming with the Wales at Robson Bite allthough he may have had more than one 6280:my2c

  189. #189Coleman3962010-04-06 15:30

    Fat trucks galore!. Thanks to all that have been posting all those great pics of the "Fat Trucks" I love the picture of Steve in the IPL H-17. Here I am hauling ****** little Pine Beetle killed wood with a lousy little highway logger! Western Star at that. Kind of makes me home sick to see all the old Saunders trucks! Those were the days! Gone but not forgotten.

  190. #190Hayesno12010-04-07 07:41

    Thanks for your reply and vids. Yes there are a bit of confusion re. numbers of how many CL350 were built. They were all built at Oakville Plant, Ontario, Canada and according to Mack records 27 were made. I did not know about the 13th Mack sold to M&B. Menzies Bay changed the design of the cabs and fenders, replacing the original doors with Pacific (International) ones. They also separated the fenders and hood from the cab, mounting them directly to the frame. Eventually quite a few got new Challenger cab or Pacific cab. Husby got their trucks in 1978 and 1979. I know that Heinz and Mike Portmann, Campbell River got 2 CL350 ST from new. They went for operation in Loughborougt Inlet but that is all I know about those 2. Do you know anything about the Portmanns? Were their trucks green with yellow stripes? 1st Pic shows Thompsons Mack now Ben West truck(poor pic as truck was parked behind fence on Barge Road, N. of CR). 2nd. pic shows Mack with rebuilt cab and 3rd. pic shows a Mack with a Pacific cab. By the way are Clyak owned by Irving Olson? I am amazed that Tom remembers me. I only met him once (2005) - we had a quick chat as he was busy at the time. But he let me see his office. What an office with all those great pictures and stuff. I could have stayed there for several days. I've heard he shut down last year. I hope he saved all the stuff. Great guy - say Hi to him from me. I actually took a picture(Y2000) from his shop area, where you can see a M&B CL350 cab(original cab). That's all for now. Spring has arrived here in Denmark. Cheers and take care.

  191. #191Dave Hadden2010-04-07 18:53

    Hello Denmark, Nice country. My wife was born there. Anyway, to answer a couple of your questions: I didn't know the Portmanns myself but knew of them. Heinz is now in Calgary I think but Mike (son) has a business or two around here still. Lots of Swiss money with those guys when they arrived here. They bought out an outfit called R&N Logging which is how they came to get two Macks, along with a P-16. Now those trucks are owned by Bendickson Logging and they were originally yellow with green hoods, so you may have seen them. Clyak was owned by Don Furnseth and Dan Blackburn who got Olsons old trucks somewhere along the line. The Olson family owned several different companies over the years including a fishing lodge up the coast. Irvings son Tom is known as "Downtown Tommy" to many guys around here. He's got somewhat of a reputation for some dodgy schemes.......best not say any more on that topic though. LOL Had another chat with Tom Turner today which is how I got some more info. There may well have been 27 Mack CL-350's built too, although we've always thought there were only 26. Tom said he'd call the engineer who designed them except he's dead now, so that won't work. If you have Tom's e-mail addy you could ask him any other questions you have as he's infinitely more knowledgeable about who had what and when and where than I am. [email protected] should get you in touch with him. He's not the most computer literate guy in the world but should be able to respond ok. Hope this helps a bit. In the meantime, enjoy Spring in Denmark. Howling storm here today, not Springlike at all. Take care.

  192. #192DBDLS2010-04-08 19:35

    Murk100: Just thought you'd like to know that I had the chance to meet the brothers that owned the 124 in the picture. Some of the nicest people I've had the chance to meet. They loved that machine and I think it broke their hearts when the pine beetle forced them to put it in the auction. As far as I know they still own a Madill 120 and it is the last grapple yarder left in the northern interior. Keep those photos coming. I'm crazy for grapple yarders and line loaders. Too bad it took me so long to figure that out.

  193. #193tracksntreadslo2010-04-11 14:39

    "Logging at its best" Well mabey not at the moment ..On the upside the equipment is available to take photos ...these shots were taken near Campbell River ..Eight grapple yarders all within about a mile of each other.

  194. #194trakloader2010-04-11 23:06

    Gee, looks like nice equipment, too, certainly better than E&A's current fleet. Wonder if the owners would like to give them to a needy logger....

  195. #195jm892010-04-12 13:33

    This is one of my favorit threads on the internet, Thanks for the awesome pics.

  196. #196grapple12010-04-12 20:32

    no doubt there is a tonne of yarding power sitting in that one city block! the bulk of it is made up of a combinatin of Greg Main's gear (which apparently is all available for rent) and teh receiver selling off Kwatna Timbers assets. There are a few other random pieces up there that belong to others

  197. #197southview2010-04-12 20:45

    This one?

  198. #198Murk1002010-04-12 21:50

    Great photos!! That answers that no 6280 swimming a 124 thanks!

  199. #199spitzair2010-04-12 21:57

    Just curious, how did that happen???

  200. #200trakloader2010-04-12 22:47

    Kind of looks like waay too much weight on a small barge, to me. Probably leaked like a hole, too.

  201. #201tracksntreadslo2010-04-12 23:30

    Just heard last week that ted leroy had his day in court...didnt fair out so well ..." Guilty of neglagents " A vid of the traffic at the bite YouTube - Robson Bight traffic

  202. #202TorkelH2010-04-13 06:07

    Fantastic pictures. By the way, have they rescued some of the equipment?

  203. #203TorkelH2010-04-13 06:11

    Franklin River Here's some pictures from Franklin River

  204. #204TorkelH2010-04-13 06:15

    And here's some trucks 3 MMB trucks, two at Franklin and one at Sproat Lake

  205. #205southview2010-04-13 13:21

    Not sure, here are the rest of pics I acquired of the infamous event....

  206. #206spitzair2010-04-13 15:41

    Hey Southview, what's the story behind your avatar? Looks like a picture that could go well in this thread...

  207. #207southview2010-04-17 23:34

    Good ol' Wagner fire. 1600 litres of hyd. oil spraying on the turbo!!!! The valves are under the boom and the hoses loop around below. A #20 hose developed a pin hole leak and was aimed directly at the turbo and kept supplying it with fuel to the point where nothing we had would even touch it. Had to call the local FD and have them foam it out. A bad day.... The update was a different brand of fire suppression and a new service company, a shield to seperate the engine compartment, heat wrap, 2 **** cans, 2 fire extinguishers, 1 C02 extinguisher, a water deluge system and a water source hook up that will reach anywhere in the sort....

  208. #208Hayesno12010-04-20 17:49

    Just a few pics from different sites on VI - Holberg 2005 :canada - red and white

  209. #209Hayesno12010-04-20 17:56

    More pics from VI - Holberg 2005 :canada - red and white just like the Danish flag

  210. #210Hayesno12010-04-20 18:03

    More pics from VI - Holberg 2005 :canada - red and white

  211. #211Hayesno12010-04-20 18:10

    More pics from VI - Koprino Logging, Port Alice 2005 :canada

  212. #212Hayesno12010-04-20 18:21

    Great pics - keep them coming We are a bit close - you living in Norway and I am living in Denmark. When did you take the pictures? Pic of Hayes HDX set forward axle truck is great and very interesting FYI: I have been informed unfortunately truck has been scrapped..

  213. #213Hayesno12010-04-21 14:46

    The Hayes HDX is Sproat Lake Div. #H316

  214. #214HDX2010-04-21 22:34

    H316 Sorry you guys but H316 was always a Franklin River Division truck she never left Franklin - none of those pictures were Sproat Lake Division. H316 was taken over by Hayes Forest and cut up at their Duncan shop along with 5 Columbia Dollies (these were the 50 ton trailers with a 5th wheel on them that were used to make up the train configuration. Lots of misconseption of what was a train TWO loads behind a truck was a pup and Three loads was a train

  215. #215Frenchy2010-04-22 22:22

    I spend 1 hour an a half to watch all those picture on each page on that thread! It's unbelievable how big are the trees over there in BC!!! I've never goes on the Vancouver Island yet. I stop in Vancouver in Prince Rupert. So, I would like to see those big truck before die Nice pics you got guys and thank to share the story of Logging Industries with us! Frenchy:canada

  216. #216Hayesno12010-04-24 02:43

    2 pictures of HFS T457 - you can see it still got "7" added at front. Some other trucks as well at Cameron shop, VI summer 2005

  217. #217Hayesno12010-04-24 02:58

    More pics from Cameron and Sarita, VI :canada

  218. #218trakloader2010-04-24 02:59

    Great stuff, as always! That truck still had the 7 on the front when she arrived here, might explain why they chose "H-7". I tried to get you guys a recent picture, but H-7 was nowhere to be found. Must be in the shop for the weekend.

  219. #219Murk1002010-04-24 03:00

    Interesting!! didn't Al B. drive that truck from new for something like 35yrs. I have some pics of it when Reg Smithe? owned it 1983 or so. I'll scan them and post them tomorrow its getting a little late here......

  220. #220trakloader2010-04-24 03:03

    H-17 H-17 is a National treasure, would it have killed HFP to have kept her red and white? I still have several of the stamps with H-17 on them.

  221. #221Hayesno12010-04-24 03:07

    More pics from Sarita, VI :canada

  222. #222Hayesno12010-04-24 03:21

    More pics from Cameron, VI :canada

  223. #223Hayesno12010-04-24 03:29

    Pics from Gold River, WFP Div., VI :canada

  224. #224Hayesno12010-04-24 03:38

    More pics from Gold River, VI :canada

  225. #225Hayesno12010-04-24 03:45

    More pics from Port McNeill, WFP, VI :canada

  226. #226HDX2010-04-24 08:56

    Of that last bunch of photos you posted--first was ex H320 after its conversion to a conventional log truck from a preload now owned by IPL The 8th pic is ex H112 after sold to cont. Pic #9 shows old H24 in the middle and pic # 10 is ex H11 from Eve River I think.Near the end of Weyerhosers rein of destruction on the coast we got about 10 trucks from all over. The reason for this was the long haul from Carmannah all the way to China Creek DLS, The driver of the P16 in the picture with #7 truck has "Cowboy" on the brushguard was killed in a fatal accident while loading the trailer over at Sproat Lake. He was a top notch driver and it shows how fast bad things happen.

  227. #227HDX2010-04-24 09:18

    Trakloader. You are right about H17 I begged them to just paint her and send her back but they just had to butcher her because they could. People could not wait to get their hands on M&Bs equipment. They took out a real nice 3408 and stuffed a C15 in her and cut up the hood so bad I finally took what was left of the hood side panels off because they looked like s### after butcher job. I am still trying to get that crap they welded on the front bumper all cut off. I think they found the pipe in the city of Duncans scrap bin. One Day her and I will go home together and then we will stuff a 3408 back in her and paint her red & white again. And yes Al Burdick drove old #7 for 33 years. I just passed him with 35 years on 17. I miss driving with Al and a whole bunch of those guys because it was fun. I cant help but look at those guys up at WFP in Gold River and wonder when the other shoe will drop. It is like looking back in time.

  228. #228Murk1002010-04-24 13:08

    Thought I had more !! #7 1983 Cypre River

  229. #229Hayesno12010-04-24 17:11

    Sad to hear about "Cowboy" . Re H112 you are right "HDX" as usual, I'll have to scan my pics of H112 as a line horse and ad it to MB tread. But anyway I better put a few pictures of her how she looks now

  230. #230Hayesno12010-04-24 17:25

    H17 is my number 1 and for sure she is national treasure of Canada :canada 1.st. pic shows H17, 2nd pic shows H320 after she was converted to normal configuration 3rd shows H319, 4th is H321 and final H318

  231. #231Hayesno12010-04-24 17:38

    Just a few more HDX pictures from VI, 1st an 2nd is Dave Mills. 3rd is Aliford line horse truck, 4th/5th showing WFP HDX at Gold River in summer 2005. Recently I saw a picture of her - sorry to say but she looked to be doomed

  232. #232Murk1002010-04-25 02:39

    Found another T457 Al B. and Reg Smithes? #8 1983

  233. #233Hayesno12010-04-25 03:33

    Maybe HDX can ad some infomation re. no. 8

  234. #234trakloader2010-04-25 03:37

    I should have guessed you were S.D. I'm sure sorry to hear about what they did to your truck, that was just plain stupid. Do you ever bump into old Roy M. ? It was sure a depressing time, watching all the HDX's and P-16's leave here. Just like losing old friends. Did you guys ever get any of our pre-loads, 135, 136 and 137? I haven't seen or heard of them since they left QC Div.

  235. #235Hayesno12010-04-25 03:51

    Trakloader is this an old QCD truck? Though it's not a preloader.

  236. #236trakloader2010-04-25 04:00

    No, we only had four P-16's, and the three pre-loaders had Cummins power and flat bumpers. The other, 54, is still here. At least her skeleton, anyway....

  237. #237HDX2010-04-25 10:53

    Trakloader I see Roy from time to time Frank Ham lives across the street from me, Got him on driving for us for some years then he pulled the pin. Maybe get him back driving holiday relief. We got H271 .H147 (parted out after driver was killed coming down bad hill) and H149. I was driving lowbed then and rather than unhook all the time I adopted old H44 because none of the new guys would drive her(no power) because all she had was the twin turbo and everything else was KTA power. I sure liked to drive that truck nice and smooth but alas she went to LLL along with H271 We kept 149 till HFS sold her to some other outfit maybe south america. Mike Murphy sure did a nice job on those trucks. Is that old HDX with the yarder mounted on it still around? I think it had a Clark 8 spd auto trans in it. Im kind of looking around for one for a WHD I restored. I loved the scream of those trannys. If you ever get close to any of those Hayes's go to the drivers side in behind the front (steering) wheel where the bulkhead fitting for the front wheel brakes is and scrape off the dirt and rust and you will find the serial number The HD/WHD is just a little lower and back a little further. If you can come up with serial numbers I can tell you who got the truck new.Got all the factory Hayes records and blueprints here! Only thing is Hayes used a 7 digit number till 1970 then they went to a 4 digit number. I can tell you all about those sometime if you are interested and how to break the numbers down OK SD

  238. #238HDX2010-04-25 11:05

    Hayesno1 That P16 just might be H123 originally a Cameron Division truck. It was transferred to sproat lake division when they need extra trucks and was sold to LLL when they took everything from the Alberni Valley back up to pt mcniel

  239. #239Hayesno12010-04-25 12:11

    HDX and Trakloader, Here are 2 more pics of P16 that might be MB unit #H123. A pic of H149 and 2 pics of old H44 :canada

  240. #240Hayesno12010-04-25 13:05

    Loaders on trucks.. IHC Donal Duc, Hayes HD and Mack B-model, VI summer 2005

  241. #241Hayesno12010-04-25 14:06

    What I like very much of the logging industry on Vancouver Island is how worn-out logging trucks get a second or some times a 3rd life when convereted to tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. Here are a few examples - funny to see that Hayes seems to outlast the other makes :canada

  242. #242trakloader2010-04-25 14:09

    J-23, sadly, is no more. Nothing left but wheels and bolts. However, the scrap guy did set aside the engine, etc. for possible sale. It did have the Clark, too. I could ask about it if you like. So The Duke has three of our trucks... 44, 258, and 271. And 149 gone to S.A..... Oh, well, at least old Roy is still kicking around. Nobody took better care of his truck than Roy, and his truck was always the top producer with lowest cost.

  243. #243Hayesno12010-04-25 14:13

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  244. #244trakloader2010-04-25 14:15

    Both H-289 and 34 were condemned to be fire trucks, and 289 is still happily pulling logs. Sounds like 34 is, too. 147 was the sand truck for many years, until she was re-built to haul logs again in 1998.

  245. #245Hayesno12010-04-25 14:19

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  246. #246Hayesno12010-04-25 14:26

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  247. #247Hayesno12010-04-25 14:31

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks- hope yoy enjoy :canada

  248. #248Hayesno12010-04-25 14:38

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  249. #249Hayesno12010-04-25 14:45

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  250. #250Hayesno12010-04-25 14:50

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  251. #251trakloader2010-04-25 14:55

    Hayesno 1, keep them coming! Your pics are the greatest! Many viewers have probably never seen trucks like these. Some are unusual even to me!

  252. #252Hayesno12010-04-25 15:02

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  253. #253Hayesno12010-04-25 15:09

    More pics of tractors, sanders, line horses, water/fire dump trucks ei. :canada

  254. #254Hayesno12010-04-25 15:15

    Thanx trakloader - here are few more:canada

  255. #255Hayesno12010-04-25 15:24

    Here is one of my favorites:wink2 - a Hayes WHD - I am pretty sure HDX can add some information this truck :canada and 2 pics of KW

  256. #256HDX2010-04-25 20:14

    Hayesno1 The WHD there was bought new by Cattermole Timber and then somehow was sold to Elk River Timber, They in turn were bought out by BCFP hence the paint scheme. She was sold at a R&B auction and Island Pacific bought her. She sits up at the old Crown Z shop at Courtenay at the present time but alas she had a runaway up there as a fire tanker and it overreved the engine and it came unglued. We are talking about saving her as we speak --she has an HD front bumper on her as you can see and it has 4700 rear diffs with 14:00X24 tires. We are talking to the owner about letting our Hayes Club stuff another engine in it to keep her going if nothing else than a parade truck. Not a lot of 4700 rear end trucks around anymore. We are doing up Elk River Timber #14 when time permits It also has the 4700 rears but has a 6-110 GM engine,also very rare.

  257. #257trakloader2010-04-25 22:09

    We're going to try hauling the old E&A light truck, ex Copper Canyon, out of Dinan Bay this Summer. I'll let you know how that works out! Is #14 a WHD as well? I don't think many trucks survive today with the 6-110, that's quite a find. A friend of mine told me that the first HDX he ever drove had a 6-110.

  258. #258trakloader2010-04-25 22:18

    Truck Driver Here is a picture of one of the best truck drivers in BC, on his last day at QC Div.

  259. #259trakloader2010-04-25 22:40

    Western Star Tridem Here is one of the Western Stars that replaced the HDX's and P-16's at QC Division. Look closely, it had just been brought in after tipping over. Almost every one of the Stars tipped over in the short time they were here. Every time you pulled over for one of them bloody things, you'd see them coming down the road tipping from side to side, wondering if it was going to tip right over on you. They also turned the whole mainline into washboard. Bunk pins kept breaking, suspensions broke, etc. Most of them were ready for the boneyard by the time E&A brought the big trucks back.

  260. #260Hayesno12010-04-26 13:41

    Holbrook Dyson are using a fleet of WS. They look more rough/strong than QCI WS trucks. They have headache rack, water tanks and pit fenders as well so I will all most define them as off highway trucks but like HDX or P16. See pics. HD only got one HDX left. They use for pulling their lowbeds. They have 2x850 KW dump trucks and a 850 KW bed truck they have converted to 3-drive :canada

  261. #261HDX2010-04-26 23:10

    Next time I see Roy I will say HI for ya--No #14 is a HD but with the 14:00X24 tires and 4700 rear diffs she is 11ft wide accross the rear tires so we will put a 14 ft bunk on her and a 50Ton Hayes trailer Should look pretty spiffy Cant wait to see more pics of the Copper Canyon HD I made this bunch of trucks my hobby for quite some time. I actually saved the H75 that was the front truck that hauled the flagpole for the Kew Gardens in 1958 but lost my storage place at the time and had to give her to a friend who will one day do her up.Later I ended up getting another one and it is waiting her turn to be redone. Look for serial # OK on those early ones it was on the Pass side outside frame rail under the water tank (behind the third air tank It will be a 7 digit number. If it has 11:00X22 tires on it the serial number will start with a 5 If it has 12:00X24 tires it will start with a 2 Thanks Trakloader

  262. #262trakloader2010-04-26 23:30

    H-7 Hot off the press, took these on my way home today.

  263. #263trakloader2010-04-26 23:47

    I gave the # to Kim last year, and I think he was in contact with you on that one. If I remember right without checking back, it was a 1956, originally a contract dump truck. It has a 250 Cummins with 5x2, with stack through the hood. Non offset cab. It's basically a flat deck right now, I'm not sure what we should do with it. It's current light truck configuration is rather useless and cumbersome, so I was considering mounting our 10-10 on it, make a nice rig-up goat. Or maybe even just a flat deck, either way, it must be preserved! The steering is buggered up, though, some dork cut the pitman arm with a torch to steal the steering ram.

  264. #264trakloader2010-04-26 23:52

    HDX: H-75, did she have a RR diesel or a Cummins? Or a Jimmy? I always wondered, they sure smoked like Hell in the pictures!

  265. #265Hayesno12010-04-27 14:35

    Yes I got the information from HDX Here is HDX vids re the old HD sn#6021690: Bought new by Charles Creek Logging from Nanaimo BC Feb 1956 was a dump truck. Was later sold to MacMillan&Bloedel and went to Nanaimo River Division as unit # G24. A few of those Nanaimo River trucks managed to survive after Copper Canyon and Nanaimo River amalgamated in 1969. That truck must have 11:00X22 tires on it because all N/R trucks were small tires. The ones that survived were made into Light Tower trucks and had light plants mounted on them with several big lights for night shift logging --these things were really neat because they would light up the whole hillside at nite. So I guess you got the explornation, how the HD showed up on QCI. Thanks HDX:notworthy Pic shows 1952 Hayes HD :canada

  266. #266Hayesno12010-04-27 15:09

    More loggingtruck pictures ei. from The great Island

  267. #267Hayesno12010-04-27 15:13

    More loggingtruck pictures ei. :canada

  268. #268Hayesno12010-04-27 16:16

    Picture of retired front end of pup/train trailer

  269. #269Hayesno12010-04-27 16:19

    Sorry wrong picture

  270. #270Hayesno12010-04-27 17:11

    More logging trucks I know I got a picture of front end of pup/train trailer but I can't find at present time

  271. #271HDX2010-04-27 21:56

    Trakloader H75 came with a NHRBS600 Supercharged Cummins engine. In 1952 Hayes came out with an all new concept in off-highway logging truck A designing engineer by the name of Ralph Kiest went to work there and he helped design these trucks they were called an HD They had an offset cab just like the LMSWL Macks. Being as he was from Mack he brought some ideas with him. Hayes built 17 of these trucks for MacMillan & Bloedel serial #s were 2061397-2061413 H75 was the last of that bunch--Some of these trucks went to Menzies Bay Division because they had just pulled up the tracks and were replacing the trains with trucks 4 went to Northwest Bay and the rest went to Copper Canyon Division Of the 17 built the first 7 had the batteries in the cab with the driver under the jumpseat but as with the LM Macks it became a real problem so Hayes made a battery box and installed it on the passenger side of the truck where it stayed right up to the end. Hood was a one piece top and the two side panels lifted off. This was a real problem because to check the oil you had to lift the side panel off the truck check the oil and try and put it back on (very heavy) hence these were usually stacked up in the shop rafters or behind the oil shed You know where im talkin about

  272. #272HDX2010-04-27 21:58

    Sorry Forgot to tell you they were 300HP with 5 speed mains and 3 speed aux trans in all those 17 trucks

  273. #273trakloader2010-04-28 21:46

    Thanks for the info! I always figured them trucks had the Cummins, but with so many of the M&B trucks, etc. having RR engines, I wasn't sure. I'm sure glad that H-75 was saved! It would be nice to see her on the road again. Did you want the Clark 8spd. from J-23? I'm pretty sure it's still attached to the 12V71. The guys that bought the machine tried to start the truck engine after 10 years, and she flashed right up, much to their surprise. Ran away, too, wrecking the engine. That was one of the last of our original HDX's, H-220 to 226, 1965 models. I think the frame from 224 went under H-45 after she got twisted up in a runaway. 225 was a tanker, and burned down in a forest fire. Not sure which numbers, but two became spar carriers, J-91 and 23. One other truck was the chunk truck, and I think the other one was the original sand truck. J-91 is still around, albeit in a rather sad state. Looks pretty hopeless.

  274. #274HDX2010-04-28 23:27

    Im kind of sniffing around yes. God I loved those things. The ones we had had the Johnson bar for forward nuetral and reverse Loved that 8 ahead and 8 in reverse. Our trucks had 11:1 ratio rear ends so they would do 48 MPH Very few guys could get more than 3rd in reverse Just too fast. Compo made the shop box in the shift tower because if one of those hose's to the shifter broke there was 180-200 degree oil sprayin all over in the cab Thanks Trakloader

  275. #275trakloader2010-04-29 01:46

    That's how J-23 was set up, with forward-neutral-reverse on a small lever behind the main shifter. I always wondered if you could use all the speeds in reverse, thanks for clearing that up! 40+mph in reverse......

  276. #276Hayesno12010-04-29 15:14

    Hayes HD brochure from early 50's

  277. #277Contract Logger2010-05-02 02:50

    Loading Logs, Island Style!

  278. #278Hayesno12010-05-02 02:57

    Great pictures. Trucks are Mack CL350 ST. Former MB Menzies Bay Div. Trucks are now operated by Ben West logging.

  279. #279Contract Logger2010-05-02 03:01

    Well a few more then, yellow this round!

  280. #280Hayesno12010-05-02 03:13

    1st and 3rd pic is showing the same truck owned by Ben West. BW got 6 CL350. Only 27 were made. 2nd and 4th is the same truck but owner is unknown. It might be an old MB truck. It got a "M" in top of guard. Last pic could be a Husby unit. Maybe other can add some info

  281. #281Contract Logger2010-05-02 03:18

    Hopefully so. My friend is a cutter in BC and sent no info- just a disc full of pics last week in the mail. I was out of State but got it yesterday.

  282. #282Hayesno12010-05-02 03:32

    Here are a few more pics of CL 350 ST Mack trucks

  283. #283Hayesno12010-05-02 03:42

    CL350 pictures

  284. #284HDX2010-05-02 10:48

    Hayesno1 The CL350 with the "M" is one of Menzies trucks see the Pacific cab. Menzies was the only outfit that had to change the cabs due to breaking up due to severe service. This was always a problem with Mack cabs right back to the 40's. Some of the trucks got P16 cabs and some got the Challanger cabs. Some people confuse the ones with the Challanger cabs as being a Challanger truck.This was a very costly endevor and very labour intensive. MacMillan Bloedel would go to that extreme to keep a fleet running. I think it was around 50,000 dollars to convert each truck. The cabs installed were brand new and had to be altered to fit those trucks. The end result was worth it because it gave these trucks a new life span That is only my observations anyway. Someone else might have upgraded their cab but I have never seen one

  285. #285DBDLS2010-05-02 14:43

    Mack CL350 Cab Change Outs HDX and Hayesno1: Here's a few pictures I took recently of a Mack CL350 with a Pacific cab just out of Holberg. I'm pretty sure it is the same truck as the one in pictures 1 and 2 of Posting #284 and that the cab was changed out in the recent past. Credit M&B with a good idea. I always thought the original Mack cab was the ugliest design ever. The truck looks a lot better with the Pacific cab and, as far as I am concerned, extremely good looking with the Challenger cab. I remember as a young boy living on the prairies seeing an article in the Mack Bulldog magazine about the Menzies Bay trucks and being pretty impressed with them. I'm glad I had the chance to spend 20+ years working in the coastal forest industry and I credit that article for giving me the bug to begin with. HDX, I'm curious about what you have heard about the CL350's as trucks to drive. I've quizzed quite a few of my friends who have driven off highway logging trucks and if any had driven the CL350 it was always ranked #1 by them.

  286. #286DBDLS2010-05-02 15:20

    Going to the extreme to keep a fleet running Here's a few pictures for HDX and Hayesno1 in the spirit of Vancouver Island Logging. I could almost see the island from where these pictures were taken. Kip Brown Trucking in Powell River completely redid a couple of HDX trucks (#'s 9 and 17) and turned out a truck that, as far as I am concerned, made the good looking original truck look even better. I had a good look at these trucks and a lot of thought was put into improving the original design. The cabs were raised, 18 speed manuals and Cummins N14 engines were installed. I was particularly impressed with the way the top rad tanks were modified so the piping for the air to air aftercooler could pass through the tanks as opposed to going in and out the sides of the engine compartment (a poorly thought out solution that has no aesthetic value). You can also see the slick solution they came up with for holding the hoods open (they said the idea came from Kenworth originally).

  287. #287trakloader2010-05-02 16:04

    Most guys that I've talked to that drove the CL350 rated them #1, as well. Of course, all of them drove the trucks after the M&B mods. An exception was and old Finnish guy that drove for ColCel for many years. He told me that ColCel had one as a trials unit, and nobody wanted to drive it. Apparently the transmission was cable shift instead of air or electric, and never seemed to work right. The cab doors would fly open and scare the Hell out of the driver, and it rode so rough that drivers were airing the tires down in an attempt to smooth the ride. The old fellow said the HDX was nice, but the P-16 was better. I think Menzies Bay Div. had many of the same problems, along with a bunch more. Their trucks ended up almost totally different in the end, big changes in the design. I've sat in one of them, and they feel really nice. Great view, roomy cab. It was the Menzies Bay truck with the original cab, modified with Pacific doors. They even have an air operated compensator pin.

  288. #288Hayesno12010-05-03 14:16

    Thanks for sharing those great pictures. You are right about the blue CL350. Take a close look at left fender at front top. It has a big dent. I have attached 4 pictures of 4 different MB trucks. H436 got the challenger cab. H443 has a "M" in front guard as the yellow at page 19 but it is not the same truck as H443 i still going strong (in MB color configuration) as a tractor

  289. #289HDX2010-05-03 23:17

    Not many guys know it but M&B's Copper Canyon Division had one of those CL350s also. I think the driver liked it but problem was it was a b*****d in the fleet of HDXs so whenever it broke down it was a pain to get parts for because everything had to come from Menzies Bay- She was finally transfered to Menzies to be with all her sisters. Not too sure of the unit # but can find out. We should really keep track of these trucks if for nothing else but history's sake. They were a part of our logging heritage. Thank You to all that send in pics of them--I just gotta learn how to post pictures LOL

  290. #290trakloader2010-05-03 23:18

    Some Off-Highway Trucks Taken a few years back, 2004-5. Old Hayes HD's. The one truck has an old 1693 Cat, and 5x4. A real classic!

  291. #291HDX2010-05-03 23:19

    A couple of them had V12 Rolls Royce engines installed in the later years at Menzies Bay

  292. #292Hayesno12010-05-04 12:05

    Those trucks were auctioned a few years ago - RB auction. First picture shows Hayes HD serial no. 3778. 2nd picure shows a Hayes HD model 37-56. (serial no. unknown) It got 4640 rears, 12 ft. bunks and 40 tons Hayes trailer. Specs are from RB auction

  293. #293jm892010-05-05 00:46

    Any idea if they were gassers or diesels?

  294. #294trakloader2010-05-05 01:06

    A V-12 gas engine in an off highway logging truck?? You must be joking, right? :tong Seriously, the last huge gassers in the BC woods were probably the 1,096 cubic inch Hall-Scott engines in some of the chain drive KW's, late 40's early 50's. They were also in some of the steel spars built on war surplus tank retrievers. A friend of mine worked on one of those, he said it drank an entire 45 gallon drum of gas in 15 miles. Nobody could afford that! Also, they say the backfire when it started was so bad, anyone standing near the exhaust could have been killed.

  295. #295Hayesno12010-05-05 14:09

    CANFOR diesel locomotives, speeder etc at Woss, enjoy

  296. #296Hayesno12010-05-05 14:16

    More CANFOR equipment at Woss

  297. #297Hayesno12010-05-05 14:22

    LLL shop near Port McNeill

  298. #298Hayesno12010-05-05 14:27

    More LLL shop near Port McNeill - enjoy:canada

  299. #299Hayesno12010-05-05 14:34

    More LLL shop near Port McNeill - enjoy:canada

  300. #300Hayesno12010-05-05 14:52

    LLL going to/from A-frame at Port McNeill - enjoy:canada

  301. #301Hayesno12010-05-05 15:42

    Sarita dryland sort on a beautiful summerday in 2005 - enjoy:canada

  302. #302Hayesno12010-05-05 15:47

    More pictures from Sarita dryland sort on a beautiful summerday in 2005 - enjoy:canada

  303. #303trakloader2010-05-05 16:15

    Hayesno1: Great stuff, as always!

  304. #304Hayesno12010-05-05 16:49

    Thank you Trakloader. Last bunch of pictures tonight are from WFP at Port McNeill

  305. #305jm892010-05-06 21:44

    Thats what I figured, but seeing as they were around like twenty years before i was born i figured id ask anyway lol. I have heard of those hall-scott gassers in ww2 surplus boats.

  306. #306trakloader2010-05-06 21:55

    Actually, a lot of Skagits up to the SJ-4 had Ford V-8's, and the very first tank drill, 1962-3 or so, had a big Waukesha gasser. So there were some gassers around in fairly recent times, but not so much in trucks.

  307. #307PacificEd2010-05-06 22:04

    Thanks for all the great pictures. There are a bunch I've never seen before. When I was thwere in 2006, I missed all the good WFP stuff just over the hill behind me in Port McNeill. I know for next time though. I never did find the Lemare Lake shops.

  308. #308HDX2010-05-06 22:58

    I guess you and Sunshine will just have to come back wont you

  309. #309Coleman3962010-05-07 00:49

    Marrs Trucks? Hdx might know this one. What ever happened to the Marrs truck? Anyone you know looking for or interested in a Clipper Steve?

  310. #310Hayesno12010-05-07 13:55

    I can ad a few info and pictures of Mars Ind. trucks. Unit#A24 (KW 850 preloader has been scrapped. #A85 Pacicfic P16 from 1985 was srapped after an accident. I think A15 P16 was sold to local Port Alberni contractor. I am not sure if Dane got Challenger A94. I think Dane stiil got 2 Challengers left. Dane sold/auctioned this year their 2 old Challenger trucks ex. Millstream H49 and H50. They got 2 left and A94 might be one of them. HDX might know.

  311. #311Hayesno12010-05-07 14:01

    More pictures of Mars Ind. trucks old color configuration. The old 1967 bed truck with V12 Cummins has the old KW cab. Since it has been repainted into Mars latest color green/black/white color configuration. It was later sold but I don't know to who.

  312. #312Hayesno12010-05-07 14:08

    More Mars Ind. trucks

  313. #313Hayesno12010-05-07 18:52

    Some pictures I got from a good friend of mine PacificEd. He wants me to show some of pictures from VI summer 2006:usa:canada

  314. #314Coleman3962010-05-07 19:21

    Are those a couple of Clyak trucks sitting at C.R. Alltruck? I am also wondering about the HDX with "bounty hunter" on it. Who owns that one. I haven't been up that way in ages. Gotta get out more I suppose.

  315. #315PacificEd2010-05-07 19:35

    The first Clyak Mack CL-350 truck was taken at Saratoga Ventures, just outside Campbell River. The complete unit was at CR Alltrucks. I took a bunch of pictures of that one since someday I would like to build a 1/25 scale model of it. I talked to a person at CR Alltrucks (wasn't the owner as he was out that morning) and he said if the Bounty Hunter Hayes didn't sell soon, they were going to part it out and scrap it. I never heard anymore about it. I think Kim went back in '07 but I never saw any pictures of it.

  316. #316Hayesno12010-05-07 19:47

    Clyak had 2 CL350 unit #7 and #8. Unit #7 was for sale in 2006(picture from EdPacific) at Tom Turners place. I have seen #8 parked at right side just when passing Campbell river Bridge heading North. Last time I saw her were 2005. Ed took picture of her in 2006 - it migth be at C.R. Alltruck. "Bounty truck" has been parked for several years at Tom Turners place. I was told he would part it out if he couldn't sell the truck. Present time I don't know where "Bounty truck" is or not around anymore

  317. #317Hayesno12010-05-07 20:00

    Picture of "Bounty truck" unit #1 at Tom Turners place summer 2000

  318. #318HDX2010-05-07 23:28

    Coleman396 Which Mars truck? They kept the old Kenworth Ramp Truck One of the Challangers was sold to Bill Brown up in Toba Inlet and two of the P16s were sold to a local logging contractor and he just recently sold both of them to Bill also. I can come up with some unit numbers if any of you guys are interested OK

  319. #319Hayesno12010-05-09 13:21

    Not a bed truck but a ramp truck. Glad to hear they kept the old KW. You are right as usual here are some pictures og LLL trucks - please enjoy

  320. #320Hayesno12010-05-14 02:47

    Re Hayes HDX set back and HDX set forward see pictures below. In truck specification you have a measurement term: "Center of axle(front) to back of cab". (You have one as well for "Back of cab to center of rear axle"). Most HDX built had a set back configuration but in later years like H17 set forward axle configuration were offered. I am pretty sure HDX knows those 2 measurements and he can ad much more information. I hope this will help 1st pic shows standard configuration(set back) (LLL #325). Next 2 pics show a HDX with set back configuration but new pair of fenders have been added replacing the old ones. You can see fenders are mounted directly to bumper. So this is a bit confusing! Next 2(4th and 5th) pictures show set forward axle models - look how close axle is to bumper and distance from center of axle to back of cab is bigger than on set back models. 4th pic is old MB #H320 converted to standard logging truck #T1053(HFP should be shamed ) It was a preloader. 5th. picture is MB #17 but in "wrong" color configuration. I hope you can see the difference.

  321. #321Hayesno12010-05-14 02:53

    Sorry 1st pic I just posted is not of LLL #T325. As you can see it's old MB #H297. But she got set back as well. Here are pictures of LLL#T325

  322. #322PacificEd2010-05-14 20:13

    I see it now. Were Hayes HDX the only trucks that were offered in the set back/set forward axles? Thanks for the great pictures!

  323. #323Hayesno12010-05-16 02:33

    I don't know if P16 or KW were offered with a set forward axle. Challenger and CL350 Macks did not. Here are a few more pictures from The Island...

  324. #324Hayesno12010-05-16 02:40

    More truck pictures from VI - please enjoy

  325. #325Hayesno12010-05-16 02:50

    More truck pictures from VI - please enjoy WFP Gold River Div. They got 3 Challenger trucks in operation.

  326. #326Hayesno12010-05-16 03:06

    More truck pictures from VI - please enjoy Campbell River area...

  327. #327Murk1002010-05-19 00:16

    1983 Cyper River

  328. #328HDX2010-05-19 22:35

    Hayesno1 The photo you posted above of the Pacific P9 with the water tank on it was an ex Canadian Puget Sound truck from Jordan River-- Unit #2140, CPS was sold out to Rayoneer and then to Western Forest. There was maybe 5 Pacifics and 5 HD Hayes's went there new in 1970 Hal Fladager was the Master Mechanic there for many years until he retired a few years ago. Nothing there now but memories and a few empty buildings.

  329. #329malin2010-05-20 02:45

    nice informative pictures and threads....great work,.......keep it up

  330. #330Hayesno12010-05-23 02:16

    LLL water trucks, old Hayes HDfrom 50's, Hayes HD from 70's and Pacific P500S. Please enjoy

  331. #331Hayesno12010-05-23 02:26

    Some pictures of J. A. McKay, Port Alberni trucks summer 2007. Some of trucks have been sold after.

  332. #332trakloader2010-05-23 02:28

    I love that HD! What a classic! It's really a shame that trucks like that are stuck in the bush, they should be in museums, or at least my driveway.....

  333. #333Hayesno12010-05-23 02:40

    Yes you are right ointhead Here are a few more of her. Truck was in pretty good condition. It was parked at LLL shop. I don't know if she has been scrapped or has survived. HDX might know.

  334. #334Hayesno12010-05-23 02:53

    Coulson Forest Products Ltd. Port Alberni logging trucks. I like their color configuration

  335. #335trakloader2010-05-23 03:00

    Scrapped!! Ohhhh.... I hope not! I wish I had that cab, or at least the doors. For that matter, the whole truck! Very close to our truck, same headlights, battery box, looks like even the same engine at first glance. (250 Cummins?)

  336. #336trakloader2010-05-23 03:12

    It's always nice to see an imaginative colour scheme, in the 50's and 60's nearly the whole coast ran "school bus yellow" equipment! I have a number of old Canadian KW spec sheets from different companies, all were school bus yellow with forest green hood! Most yarders, loaders, etc. were yellow, too. Of course, now we have many different colours. Some not so good! Take W.D. Moore's pink equipment, for example... Oh, sorry, I forgot, it's "salmon"..... Do you have any pics of their pink, er, salmon coloured trucks?

  337. #337Hayesno12010-05-23 03:26

    Yes some colours sheme are great and some are just way out Sorry I have no pictures W. D. Moore's equipment. I am going to BC this year and this will include a trip to Vancouver Island:canada so I will look for W. D. Moore equipment. Do you know where W. D. Moore shop is located?

  338. #338HDX2010-05-23 09:43

    Winter Harbour

  339. #339Hayesno12010-05-23 19:57

    Thanks HDX - I do hope I will find time(spare time) for trip to Winter Harbour. Aprox. 130 km on poor gravel road. I've been told that road to Sarita / Bamfield is in poor condition as well. Does anyone know if road from Gold River to Woss is open for puplic trafic.

  340. #340jm892010-05-23 20:59

    Do you rent a car when your in BC? if so the rental guys must love you, all that gravel road driving in there shiny new cars/trucks.

  341. #341HDX2010-05-23 21:40

    jm89 wink wink nod nod just a little drive around the big city ---few back allys nothing serious maybe the odd unpaved lane or two Hayesno1 the road to Bamfield is sometimes good sometimes not good.

  342. #342Hayesno12010-05-24 09:09

    Well I have rented a Chevy Blazer - it will be shiny for a day or 2

  343. #343PacificEd2010-05-24 21:56

    The Nissan X-Trail did a pretty good job on the road from Gold River to Woss in '06. I worried about flat tires but had no issues. The roads were rough and that styrofoam cooler squeaked away in the back. We met the 3rd Gold River Challenger hauling the lowboy on that ride. That was fun meeting him on a curve. My wife had already put the video camera away.

  344. #344Dave Hadden2010-05-24 22:51

    Back in the 60's and '70's when I worked for the Gold River Logging Division one of the interesting things was that none of the logging trucks had radios in them. The loaders had radios and the dump had a radio and the Truck Dispatcher, name of Percy Lanyon, also had a radio. Between driving around the claim and staying advised as to where trucks would be from reports from the loader operators and the dump operator, known as "Liquid" Larry to most of the crew, Percy effectively dispatched all the trucks to the various sides we operated, hopefully avoiding any head-ons in the process. That was the only place I worked where the trucks had no radios and depended upon a roving Dispatcher to keep them organized. Everywhere else had their fleet in constant communication via radio and some places had rather elaborate set-ups for their Dispatchers. At Port Renfrew the Dispatcher was Fred Call and he sat up in a tower with a map of the claim in front of him whereupon he kept track of the trucks and their locations via pegs and "call outs" from the drivers. Interesting job and I got to do it a few times when Fred was off. I had lots of radio experience and a good sense of co-ordination so fit right in to Freds chair pretty easily. Interesting to see the Lemare Lake Logging pics as that's the last place I worked in the logging industry. For those of you that have heard stories about that company and the family that runs it.......well........after working there for a time I can assure you that most of the stories are probably true. Certainly a stressful place to work back then and I witnessed all kinds of totally dumbass moves being made but then they are millionaires and I'm not so I guess they can do what they want. When I left there they had around 28 or 29 off highway logging trucks on the claim and most of them were working too. I think they have bought more old and well used equipment than anyone else on the island ever has and managed to continue making money with those pieces of equipment one way or another. Pretty shrewd owner there for sure. I still get a kick out of all the great pics you guys have so keep them coming. Really appreciate them. Take care.

  345. #345Hayesno12010-05-25 15:01

    I know it was okay in 2006 but when I went there in 2007 the road was closed. Nobody could tell when road would be repaired as it was a private logging road and logging industry was all ready slowing down at that time

  346. #346Hayesno12010-05-27 15:31

    More Coulsson trucks from Port Alberni. The Hayes HDX got KW rears. According to John Casanaves this was his first "Challenger" truck, as he bought the HDX from Hayes - teared it apart and rebuild it with some modifications. Next are Pacific; 4th pix is P16 preloader and 5th is P512S

  347. #347Hayesno12010-05-27 15:54

    More LLL trucks at their shop in 2005

  348. #348Hayesno12010-05-27 16:04

    WFP trucks on VI

  349. #349Hayesno12010-05-27 16:11

    More WFP trucks - please enjoy

  350. #350Hayesno12010-05-28 17:15

    More WFP trucks - they must operate largest number of off highway trucks on Vancouver Island

  351. #351Hayesno12010-05-28 17:24

    More WFP trucks on Vancouver Island

  352. #352Hayesno12010-05-28 17:36

    A few more WFP trucks on Vancouver Island

  353. #353Hayesno12010-05-28 17:43

    More logging/water trucks on Vàncouver Island that HD water truck is pretty old

  354. #354trakloader2010-05-29 10:38

    No kidding, that HD has been at work in the woods for a long time! I never cease to be amazed by the amount of old iron in the bush.

  355. #355TorkelH2010-05-29 18:00

    Some trucks in Franklin-Cowichan area HDX in Franklin "Camp B" H151 belonging to Island Pacific Logging, Pacific in Cameron shop, IPL's Pacifics H143 and H153 at Karmanah main.

  356. #356HDX2010-05-30 00:12

    TorkelH Those pics were taken not very long ago--couple weeks max !

  357. #357TorkelH2010-05-30 12:45

    May 13 and 14, I brought some friends down there to introduce them to how a grapple yarder works, the trucks was a side effect. Nice to see that something still is the same.

  358. #358TorkelH2010-05-30 12:55

    more trucks A Challenger and a Hayes water truck

  359. #359Hayesno12010-05-30 13:46

    Great pix. Nice to see #D154 has been painted. In 2007 I took these pix. It was a very warm day and the driver was waiting for help as you can see trailer had a flat tire. Original I think this was Millstream truck. I have never seen that Hayes HDX water truck before. Nice to see some are still going strong

  360. #360Hayesno12010-05-30 14:36

    More Challenger truck. Unit #8 is first built Challenger truck from 1986. From new John Casanave owned her. It was blue and white and had unit #14. After a few months of operation he sold it to Bendickson Contractors. 2.nd built Challenger truck is Bendickson Contractors unit #9. When I took pictures they were parked North of Campbell River, near Barge Road. Both trucks have been sold since to somewhere in South America. At least 14 Challenger trucks were built. First 11 trucks were all logging trucks. 12 and 13 were huge mine trucks. Number 14 went to Australia. Company was sold to someone downunder. I had the privilege to meet John C. in summer 2007. Great guy. He had just recieved some boxes with spareparts etc. from downunder as something went wrong with the contract. MB unit #H159 (6th Challenger truck) built in 1989. Later sold to Mars ending up with unit #A89. Present owner I don't know. HDX might know.

  361. #361Hayesno12010-05-30 14:54

    More Challenger trucks. Some apprenteces from Port Alberni area built a scale model of Challenger truck with trailer. Pix were taken in Johns shop in 2007. The white cab is a spare cab he got back from downunder. As you can see some welding has been done at rigth side of cab as he had to change the offset from right to left. Downunder they drive in the wrong side...

  362. #362Hayesno12010-05-30 15:11

    Pacific Forest Products got 3 Challenger trucks all preloaders - unit #H16, #H98 and #H99. All are still going strong and present owner is WFP at Gold River

  363. #363HDX2010-05-30 21:36

    Hayesno1 That HDX water truck 36-127 use to be BCFP Caycuse Division unit # 6-250

  364. #364TorkelH2010-05-31 11:56

    Nice - nice

  365. #365HDX2010-06-02 23:59

    Hayesno1, Trakloader, Just talked to a friend of mine and he tells me that he has the pictorial history of Malloch&Mosley--- Man there will be some really good pictures. He is going to scan them when time permits

  366. #366Dave Hadden2010-06-09 15:49

    Back in post #317 Hayesno1 wrote: " "Bounty truck" has been parked for several years at Tom Turners place. I was told he would part it out if he couldn't sell the truck. Present time I don't know where "Bounty truck" is or not around anymore." Had coffee with Tom yesterday and asked him about Bounty Hunter. It's currently hauling logs over near Tofino he said. The owner sold it originally but didn't get paid then another guy wanted it so it went to him and the owner is driving it for him until he gets paid......or something like that. Still hauling logs though, just so you know. Take care.

  367. #367Hayesno12010-06-09 16:18

    Thanks Dave. Great to hear it is still going strong. I am going to The Island this summer so I might see the old girl I have just scanned some of my pix so when images get available again I will post them

  368. #368Hayesno12010-06-14 14:55

    Hayes trucks on The Island. Blue and white HDX belonged to Thompson, Campbell River. He sold it to Kip Brown. Last year it was for sale, so I don't know present owner. Owner of yellow HDX at Sarita dry land sort is unknown. No name at doors.

  369. #369Hayesno12010-06-14 18:12

    Parked steele spar on Mack B73 or B75 near Courtenay

  370. #370TorkelH2010-06-16 10:58

    Nice nice yarder... and btw what do you do to post, it just says upload failed to me...

  371. #371Hayesno12010-06-16 11:26

    Thanks, I tried several times last week and failed every time. Since start of this week I had no issues. I post pictures the same way. I better try again - well no issues - this is a retired Hayes

  372. #372Hayesno12010-06-16 12:10

    A few pictures of LLL P16 trucks - take a look at first pix - that truck is a preloader and got 5 set of bunks

  373. #373Hayesno12010-06-19 02:45

    A few pix of Hayes Forest Products P16 in Cameron shop and HFP P16 with loads heading for Sarita dry land sort

  374. #374trakloader2010-06-19 13:38

    Hooray!! We're able to post pics again!!! I was sure getting sick of "upload failed"....:bash

  375. #375jm892010-06-19 22:00

    Good to see thw website is up running again I was was starting to get withdrawl from the lack of loggin pictures.

  376. #376Hayesno12010-06-20 02:49

    Sure it's great. Anyway I have been able to post pictures all most for 2 weeks without any issues. Here are a few pix of ABL trucks - former Timberwest and properly ex. ex. BCFP trucks

  377. #377Hayesno12010-06-20 03:17

    More pix from The great Island - HFP trucks

  378. #378Hayesno12010-06-20 03:31

    More HFP trucks please enjoy

  379. #379HDX2010-06-20 23:05

    Hayesno1 The yellow Hayes HDX at Sarita belongs to Dave Mills Cont. It use to belong to Trusdale from Sechelt. When new it was sold to Bill Niel and a partner. That picture of the retired Hayes HDX with the black brushguard is a very rare old bird with a colorful history. Extremely rare!!! Will fill you in another time OK

  380. #380HDX2010-06-20 23:09

    Hayes Forest Unit 461 was destroyed in an accident where the driver was going out to the bush empty and the steering arm dropped off and she went over the bank at full speed. Driver was OK but the truck was cut up at Hayes Shop in Duncan and sold for parts

  381. #381Hayesno12010-06-21 14:56

    Some old KW's with different configuration

  382. #382Hayesno12010-06-21 15:08

    Off highway KW logging trucks - different contractors - pix 3 and 4 is Hayes HDX with selfloader at Kelsey Bay

  383. #383Hayesno12010-06-21 16:58

    Hayes HDX with very small headlights and no rad guard - unknown contractor - truck was heading for Sarita summer 2005

  384. #384Hayesno12010-06-22 17:01

    Holbrook and Dyson trucks at Vernon all Western Star

  385. #385Hayesno12010-06-22 17:10

    Meeting at Bamfield Road - HFP Pacific P16 and local contractors Hayes HDX

  386. #386Hayesno12010-06-22 17:15

    More Holbrook Dyson trucks - KW ramp truck is tridrive - made in HD shop in Vernon...

  387. #387Hayesno12010-06-22 17:19

    More KW off highway logging trucks from The great Island:canada

  388. #388Contract Logger2010-07-10 14:24

    Cypress Snorkel and Mack CL350 Cypress Snorkel and Mack CL350 Some more pics emailed to me this morning, from the big island.

  389. #389Contract Logger2010-07-10 14:27

    Round 2.

  390. #390Contract Logger2010-07-10 14:30

    And we can top it off with a hub that got loose and went exploring.... Looks like a broken axle (spindle). Hard to believe with such light little loads, lol.

  391. #391tom trees2010-07-10 21:51

    nice country :beerchug

  392. #392stormdodger2010-07-11 11:30

    that looks like ben west country, contract..... i remember that yarder when it was brand spankin new.

  393. #393Contract Logger2010-07-11 12:28

    Nice...I have a friend who cuts for them, emails me pics from time to time.

  394. #394Hayesno12010-07-26 10:34

    A few new pix from The Island, sadly I left a few days ago I am having some issues with this connection... pix must wait

  395. #395Hayesno12010-07-31 00:23

    Back in Denmark - here are some pictures from Campbell River area:canada

  396. #396Hayesno12010-07-31 00:43

    More from CR area

  397. #397Hayesno12010-07-31 00:52

    More from CR area - Kwatna Timber equipment

  398. #398Hayesno12010-08-03 16:41

    Some more pictures from The great Island Moving timber and old iron equipment.. Some still going strong/availeble.. P16 or HDX..

  399. #399Hayesno12010-08-07 02:02

    WFP trucks at Woss

  400. #400Hayesno12010-08-10 17:04

    Some pictures from Woss Camp A reload - truck to train

  401. #401Hayesno12010-08-10 17:31

    Pix from Woss WFP...

  402. #402Hayesno12010-08-10 17:37

    More pix from Woss WFP Div....

  403. #403PacificEd2010-08-10 21:18

    Kim, Great pics from the Island. It looks like very little has changed since I was in Woss in 2006. Most of the same trucks are still there, including the C-500 KW's. They were supposedly phasing them out in favor of the tri-drive KW's (The white ones). I guy told me he hated the new trucks. They wore out tires at an alarming rate and they didn't handle the terrain and loads like the bigger C-500's. That was a neat treat to see the Holbrook-Dyson Western Star there. Very unique trucks. Apparently H-D is one of the few companies that runs the steel-fendered Western Stars. I wasn't fortunate enough to find any on my trip. I also saw a photo in a magazine where they ran Pacific's, maybe like a P-10? I saw it in Railfan & Railroad Magazine many years ago. Great pictures! Keep them coming.

  404. #404TorkelH2010-08-11 11:16

    Nice pictures Very nice pictures, of course a lot of trucks for me that wanna see line equipment, but still... See they still operate a logging railway up there, that was interesting. The grapple yarder some pic's ago, is that a 143, 144 or one of the last 044's?

  405. #405Hayesno12010-08-11 13:08

    Thanks Ed and Torkel. Sorry about lacking pictures of line equipment. I found a few, I will post them and more trucks of course as they are my favourite. I have never seen any H & D Pacific P10 trucks. I know they got a Hayes HDX with a lowbed, but no HDX or P16 logging trucks. I did not visit H & D shop/yard this time. They are operating an A-frame in Nimpkish Valley where they reload from truck to train. I have attached a few pix from Beaver Cove train log dump. Amazing place to watch.

  406. #406Hayesno12010-08-11 13:14

    More pix from Beaver Cove

  407. #407Hayesno12010-08-11 13:25

    More pix from Beaver Cove - trucks and yarder. I think a Madill.

  408. #408jm892010-08-11 15:45

    Hayesno1, nice pictures. How was your recent trip to BC? where did you go? Jared

  409. #409trakloader2010-08-12 13:34

    That appears to be one of the seven 143's.

  410. #410Murk1002010-08-19 11:15

    This pic deserves to be in this thread as well

  411. #411hvy 1ton2010-08-19 13:54

    I love old haul trucks. They look even cooling when setup to haul logs.:drinkup

  412. #412Hayesno12010-08-19 16:19

    I don't know what happend to pix I posted on this thread last week but here are some pix from the Southern part of The Island summer 2010

  413. #413Hayesno12010-08-19 16:35

    More pictures from The Island - Pacific trucks and trailers

  414. #414Hayesno12010-08-21 01:32

    Pictures from WFP Beaver Cove log dump. I do hope they will not be deleted this time

  415. #415Hayesno12010-08-21 01:36

    Pictures from WFP railway operation at Beaver Cove log dump

  416. #416Hayesno12010-08-21 01:39

    More pictures from WFP Beaver Cove log dump

  417. #417Hayesno12010-08-21 01:44

    Some pictures from Port McNeill - A-frame and trucks - pretty busy but I only had half an hour

  418. #418Hayesno12010-08-21 01:51

    More pictures from Port McNeill - last is old MB unit #H262 now operated by WFP as water truck. As you can see it was pretty dusty . just a day or two before fire ban was announced all over BC

  419. #419Hayesno12010-08-22 12:50

    At last I got some pictures of Thompson Trucking Mack CL350. Does anyone know what happened to Clyak's # 7? Last seen in 2006 when Ed took posted pictures of it. It was for sale at Tom Turners place in 2006. Clyak's unit # 8 - also a Mack CL350 model - is parked and is in very poor shape.

  420. #420TorkelH2010-08-23 03:03

    Nice pic's as usual Hayesno1, keep on publishing!

  421. #421Hayesno12010-08-31 13:54

    Pictures of different kind of logging equipment - summer 2010

  422. #422Hayesno12010-08-31 13:57

    More pictures of different kind of logging equipment - summer 2010

  423. #423Hayesno12010-08-31 14:00

    More pictures of different kind of logging equipment - summer 2010. I found the big yarder in Beaver Cove

  424. #424Hayesno12010-09-12 14:56

    Hayes and Wagner pix Some pix of Dave Mills Hayes HDX and parts of Wagner loader that was going to be assembled. I was thinking of making 5 new threads about logging trucks; Hayes trucks, Pacific trucks, KW trucks, Mack CL350 and Challenger trucks. Do you think it would be a great idea?

  425. #425Greatwestcam2010-09-14 22:54

    Hi Guys, new timer here, but have been enjoying this site for a while. Great pic's of history of logging. have some of my own as I drove truck all over the coast, just have to find out how to load them up. Till then keep it up, great stuff!

  426. #426HDX2010-09-14 23:03

    Welcome GreatwestCam Great bunch of guys and tons of info and the pictures are pure history

  427. #427Hayesno12010-09-15 15:05

    Welcome GreatwestCam from me as well. You can not post pictures before you have posted 5 or 10 comments. I can't remember the exact times When you are going to post pictures is is very easy. When you are writing a message there is menu bar above message box. You just click on icon looking like a paper clip. Icon is right beside Smile Icon and a menu will pop up. You can upload max 5 pictures each time. Looking forward to see your pictures. Hope this will help you and HDX.

  428. #428Greatwestcam2010-09-16 21:52

    Thanks guys, and thank you Hayesno1 for the tips on loading pics. When I have problems on the computer I call tech support ( 15 year old son ). Your last pics look like Forshner Bros. trucks, I worked for them in Clowhom Falls, they run some good iron. I like going through these pics, seeing old units I have driven or worked beside. Hope the "Fat truck" era keeps going!

  429. #429Hayesno12010-09-17 15:58

    You are right. It is a Hayes HDX Forshner Bros. truck. I think she was for sale in 2006/2007. I don´t know where she went. Maybe someone know?

  430. #430Dave Hadden2010-09-18 14:11

    I can't help with that but just for your info Hayesno1, Tom Turner sold his property recently to a local car dealer so the former site of CR Alltrucks shall soon be a Mazda dealership, or so I'm told. Lots of trucks bought parts from that place over the years and a wealth of knowledge was accumulated too. Everything changes. Take care.

  431. #431Greatwestcam2010-09-18 15:11

    Forshner Bros. at Clowhom. lets see if this works. How do you get pictures to size down to fit?

  432. #432Greatwestcam2010-09-18 15:23

    more of them.

  433. #433Greatwestcam2010-09-18 16:20

    try a few more.

  434. #434Greatwestcam2010-09-18 16:22

    same...

  435. #435Hayesno12010-09-18 16:29

    Thanks Dave. But I knew before I left Denmark this summer. I went to Tom´s place, but not much to see anymore. It is sad to see a place/yard like that are closing the gates. Every time I visit Campbell River I went to Tom´s place. You take care as well! Kim

  436. #436Hayesno12010-09-18 16:37

    Great pictures Please keep them comming. And for sure you got the right size.. I do miss Canada:canada

  437. #437Greatwestcam2010-09-18 16:53

    Mack CL350ST Here is the Mack that CE(Ted) Routh had, got it new in 1980. hauling for Weldwood at Gilford Island. Ted later sold out to Butch Carroll in the mid 90's,

  438. #438Hayesno12010-09-18 16:55

    A few pix from Port Alberni summer 2010. 2 first pix showing 1964 HDX preloader. Picture 4th shows old M&B unit #H112 now a ramp truck

  439. #439Hayesno12010-09-18 17:11

    I guess you mean 1990. Mack CL350 ST was introduced in late 80`s. I guess Mack truck must be the same unit I tool pictures of in 2004 and 2005. It got a Pacific cab now. My next thread will be Mack CL350

  440. #440Hayesno12010-09-18 17:14

    Hmm.. I don´t know what happened

  441. #441Greatwestcam2010-09-18 18:59

    yes it is the same truck you took pictures of, I recognized the bend in the right fender that happened when the loader lost a chunk over the cab. was 1984 & 85 when I drove it. I my be wrong with the ST part, back of photo has CL350BT wrote on it. look forward to the Mack thread.

  442. #442Dave Hadden2010-09-19 00:27

    The CL350ST's that Husby had in 1986 and Menzies had around the same period were obviously "introduced" before the "late 80's" methinks so someone's memory is out somewhere..........not to start a quibble or anything. You've done the research Hayesno1 so maybe you could check production dates for us. Sorry I didn't arrange to meet you when you were here too. Maybe next time. Take care.

  443. #443Hayesno12010-09-19 01:13

    Sorry - you are right re. year of Mack. I was tired I guess and heading for my bed. MB got their Macks in late 70's. All though I think "ST" part is correct. I have never heard of BT on any Mack models but I could be wrong.

  444. #444Hayesno12010-09-19 01:35

    Yes you are right. Husby got their Mack trucks in late 70's. 6 or 7 units. I have not been able to find any exact production dates. They were built in Eastern Canada and only 27 were made. Hopefully we will meet next time. I was pretty busy as I had to show my 2 nephews your beautiful country. We drove 7.500 km in just 5 weeks and only in BC.

  445. #445Greatwestcam2010-09-19 10:09

    RG Stephens of Campbell River. Some of Bobs trucks when hauling for Port Neville Logging.

  446. #446Hayesno12010-09-19 11:15

    Great pictures Greatwestcam. I am pretty sure I took pictures of same blue and white HDX. It was summer 2000 and truck belonged to Thompson Trucking, Campbell River. Later she was sold to Kip Brown #7. It was for sale in 2009 and I lost track of her

  447. #447Greatwestcam2010-09-19 17:47

    Yes Hayesno1, I have seen it on "hanks" site, boy you got alot of great pictures! I have a few more to go here, ( still trying to load the whole picture and not loose part due to sizing).

  448. #448Hayesno12010-09-26 03:25

    Pics from The Island this summer. Some skidders and a Pacific P16 getting a new paint

  449. #449logger mike2010-09-26 11:06

    Love all the BC pics makes me wish i was born many years before i was, the one thing i see though is did all of the Canadian operations spend as much on paint as they did fuel? LOL great pics and history too bad most of it is gone to china.

  450. #450Greatwestcam2010-09-26 14:14

    A.Byrne Trucking, Some photos of around Powell River area.

  451. #451Greatwestcam2010-09-26 14:30

    More of Andy,s trucks. Had all Kenworth pre-load type. Hauled for Weldwood then started his own logging show Granet Lake Logging. Last time looking in their bone yard he had the Butler Brothers Mark 5 unit, only the rear diffs removed. wish I took some pics

  452. #452Greatwestcam2010-09-26 15:45

    Kip Brown Trucking. Kip Brown's trucks in Stillwater before the sort was built. Later he started to fix them up really nice.

  453. #453Greatwestcam2010-09-26 15:50

    Too this, repower with N-14 Cummins, 18 spd trans. new built fenders, done well!

  454. #454Hayesno12010-09-26 15:59

    Great pics as usual Greatwestcam I have to go to Stillwater next time I visit BC

  455. #455Hayesno12010-09-26 16:11

    I went by Granet Lake Logging yard this summer but gate was closed An old KW preloader was parked there and a KW flatbed/ramp truck as well. I took a few pics. I just have to find them and resize them.

  456. #456Greatwestcam2010-09-26 16:32

    Things have slowed down quite a bit in this area, Olymic Forest Products is one of bigger companies logging, others are Goat Lake Forest Products. I was out there this summer also! Most trucking has gone to hi-way trucks. If you go back there I hope the logging is still active.

  457. #457logger mike2010-09-26 17:08

    what i was referring to in my earlier post was the painting of everything, cats came yellow not red and white and the red letourneau wow but i guess if you can afford to paint everyhting everythings great

  458. #458Hayesno12010-09-27 14:35

    Pics of Granet Lake Logging trucks

  459. #459Greatwestcam2010-10-03 02:46

    McClinton Bay. QCI. Here is a "little" truck of Olympic Forest Products, got it new off the barge A 1981 Kenworth 849s, 400 cummins, 6x4 trans, 4640 diffs and too short of road to try out above 4th gear. Camp was all new then, two trucks, one Madil 009 yarder and an old gt-5 grapple yarder, TL-6 and 38B loaders.

  460. #460Greatwestcam2010-10-03 02:51

    some more pics

  461. #461trakloader2010-10-03 12:15

    Great pics, Cam, and some familiar looking territory!

  462. #462Greatwestcam2010-10-11 01:55

    More McClinton Bay, QCI first shot is looking towards Dinan Bay, next is camp super R. Parks up the tree getting it rigged for shot gun yarding. others of camp life

  463. #463Greatwestcam2010-10-11 02:03

    Log Barge's Was told that the wheel house on the "Haida Brave" is 80 feet above water line and that they took a wave once that broke some windows! She is one of two self propelled log barges, other is the Hiada Monarch.

  464. #464trakloader2010-10-11 02:25

    Awesome pics, Cam! Who's the guy on the banding tractor? He looks familiar!

  465. #465Greatwestcam2010-10-11 02:36

    Powell Daniel Contracting Powell Daniels is the old Percy log operation at the head of Powell lake, bought by Monty Hussey and partners. Here we are loading wood from the sky crane 64F, they picked the berries flying the grapple. 1973 Pacific P-16 and American 7230 loader.

  466. #466Greatwestcam2010-10-11 02:46

    Old H22's engine died so when they replaced it she got some extra TLC. Thanks Andy!

  467. #467Greatwestcam2010-10-11 02:55

    His name is Shawn Ash if I'm thinking right, came from around Terrace area. And the 980 operator was Gil L. could move lots of wood! Been on this one?

  468. #468trakloader2010-10-11 03:11

    Poor Dinan Logger.... Currently a stripped hulk, sitting behind the Juskatla shop. Old Stan still dreams of fixing her up, but I can't see that happening any time soon! That 7230, I think that might be our L-8. Andy said that Monty went to Alaska to hawk some equipment to Gildersleeve, and Stan bought them from Gildersleeve. A 7230 loader and 7280 yarder both came from there.

  469. #469Hayesno12010-10-12 13:28

    Great pics Greatwestcam. Here are pictures of old H22 now Dane Development #D153. Last pic shows her when repainted in DD colour configutation.

  470. #470Hayesno12010-10-21 01:29

    A few pics of Millstreams Pacific trucks. They were parked east of Ucluelet summer 1986. They had some kind of shop there. This year I tried to find the shop area again to see if any old stuff was left. But no luck. Unit #36 got an IHC. In left corner of picture of #38 you can see a water tank put upon all most like an old tree trestle

  471. #471HDX2010-10-26 23:16

    Was a shame that those Millstream Timber HD Hayes's had the crap beat out of them. They were pretty classy trucks with the 750D allison auto trans in them. Have found three out of four of them Dont know where MU 32 or 31 went Gordi Neva down in Lake Cowichan got one but not sure if it was #31 or 32 I know where 33 and 30 are

  472. #472Hayesno12010-10-30 02:37

    Some pics from Munns shop summer 2005. I think all trucks went for RB auction in 2005/2006. I remember I saw the blue IHC in Port Alberni area. I like those KW 848 preloaders. Autocar seems to have homemade pit fenders I have not seen them since

  473. #473Hayesno12010-10-30 02:42

    More pics from Munns shop. Pacific P16 preloader 5th wheel got unit no# 40-90. I am not sure if it is an old BCFP truck or CZ - somebody might know

  474. #474Greatwestcam2010-11-07 00:08

    You guys might know this one, took this pic at Berks Intertruck in Campbell River back in 1980/81.

  475. #475Hayesno12010-11-09 13:03

    Pics I recieved yesterday from HDX. Pics show IPL trucks at Sarita a few days ago. Thanks HDX.

  476. #476RJE2011-01-16 00:23

    i'm lovin all the pics of the vancouver island loggin pics. Living on the north end of the island, and there being a fair bit of logging going on here, i would love to post some pics when i get the chance. too bad i did'nt take more pics when i was working.

  477. #47772HDX2011-01-26 15:49

    Sorry to say, but H438 there was dismantled just after you took that picture in 2005. I personally did the dirty dead in the fall. We keeped then engine, transmission, tires and frame. Benwest took the rest of the parts. Was a shame, could really use a sand truck these days, and she drove like a cadillac.

  478. #47872HDX2011-01-26 16:13

    Crap, was refering to Hayesno1 post on page 13 about the CL350 Macks

  479. #479Hayesno12011-01-26 18:18

    Welcome 72HDX - Welcome to this great site. Yes sad about H438. Anyway quite a few CL350 are still going strong. I guees you have seen Thread about CL350 where several pics of CL350 have been posted.

  480. #480HDX2011-01-27 00:12

    72HDX Welcome aboard Sorry but NO MORE DISMANTLEING NO NO NO Think SAVE SAVE all the artifacts

  481. #48172HDX2011-01-27 00:30

    I know. Its sad that they seem to be worth more as parts. Its just hard to get replacement pieces. But I don't think we'll be dismantling anymore trucks.

  482. #482donkey doctor2011-01-27 01:06

    Saw a bit of this video on the news the other night. Don't recall seeing it on any of the forums. It was made by a V.I. logging co. I think. Hope this link works. Regards D.D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IlXTpZlRjQ

  483. #483Motat2011-01-27 14:31

    Fantastic photoes Do these trucks cart to water where they are rafted ?????? Kind regards

  484. #484diamondtguy2011-02-05 02:16

    That is me under that BCFP Pre-Loader.Picture is at the Pacific plant in North Vancouver..I have never seen that pic before...To funny......Cory

  485. #485diamondtguy2011-02-05 02:24

    I guess i cant edit my post..Picture is on page two..Brand new Pacific P-16 SL/PL

  486. #486RJE2011-02-13 02:19

    WFP Port McNeill here's a couple pices i took last week. pic #1 is a Cypress 7280, processor, and LL loading a truck. pic #2 is a P-16, WFP # 2231 with a decent load of cedar. pic #3 is a 2011 CAT 330D LL just finished its trial run, WFP Holberg Div. bought it. pic #4 is a 2011 Deere 3754 LL during a trial run, apparently it was bought by a contractor on N. Broughton Island. All pics are WFP Port Mcneill Div. the trial machines have since been shipped to their current owners/divisions.

  487. #487jackd2011-09-24 20:41

    Great Thread I found this old thread again this afternoon and decided to bring it back to life. The variety of equipment and companies represented are quite impressive - this is the thread which probably brought me to this site to start with. The shots were taken during my trip through Port Alberni this past July and were taken in the Cameron shop yard. Once more a great old P-16 in M&B colours but working under the name of a current owner.

  488. #488hoglogg2011-11-02 16:27

    nice truck i lived in tofino in the 70s , my oldest brother worked for millstream, i think they were contractors for m and b , sure was buisy there then .............

  489. #489BCFP VET2011-11-03 03:53

    hdx, cps was never soldout to rayonier bc ltd, cps was a sub or rayonier, and rayonier never sold out to western either, whonnock industries and domans and bcfp bought out rayonier canada, on the island, 1982 then rayonier sold out there pulp operations to these same groups in 85, my dad worked for cps at jordan river camp, there are some older logging trucks up there with the old cps logo's on the doors, and yeah

  490. #490BCFP VET2011-11-03 05:22

    does anyone on this site have any pics of carley logging in sooke to share and canandian puget sound timber in 70's or 80's also looking for canadian pacific forest products maybe merill ring properties, or malloch mosley logging, i spent a great deal oftime on my days off livingin my cabin in leechtown bc and saw many different outifts operating outa the sooke area and up by china creek area upwhere the jailuse tobe, thnks

  491. #491Dave Hadden2011-11-03 14:47

    After a 98 million dollar profit in 1979 (best ever til then) BCFP bought Elk River Timber out of Campbell River for 151 million as I recall. As noted they were also one third of the Domans, BCFP, Whonnock deal which was another 50 million and they also had some heavy investments at MacKenzie with more investment scheduled to come. All basically went for a crap during the next decade, as we all witnessed. Lost era now. Take care.

  492. #49269hayes2011-11-03 19:29

    Heres the same IHC today, taken last week

  493. #49369hayes2011-11-03 19:38

    1955 Oshkosh 50/50 last used for hauling shake blocks out of the bush

  494. #494HDX2011-11-03 21:50

    BCFP VET Thanks for the info on CPS I was not sure just how that whole scene played out down there with ownership Still was a beautiful little community When I first went down there in the 70's it was still CPS By the way I got an old very faded picture I took back in the early 70s when Chum Carley was moving some of his stuff through Franklin one weekend Was a "B" model Mack hauling the little lowbed with a small wooden long boom shovel on it and a very old Pacific water truck for a push truck The Pacific actually looked like one of the original "ELDER" Logging trucks Ring any bells????

  495. #495BCFP VET2011-11-04 00:45

    actually dave, bcfp was the one outfit with the most investments going, domans was small, whonnock was pretty big, mb was the dominator, by far, western was developed by all three groups, when i look at there web site, they say theve been around longer, not true, westerns been around since 81,82, wish they would get there infor right, did u guys have safety vests way back then, we did, bcfp and cz and mm made us wear safety vests with the company logo's on the back, i still have a safety vest orange from fcc its a 1988 vest, its worth alot too, i got it from youbou sawmill along with a blue cordoroy fcc cap and caycuse, 23 years ago, but we were still wearing aluminum loggers hard hats, til at least early 80's, i kept mine from bcfp and cz, there still certified too, thanks

  496. #496Dave Hadden2011-11-05 16:51

    Here's a pic of my "antique" BCFP vest. I don't recall what year I got this but it certainly has had its share of use. I'm wearing it right now. Take care.

  497. #497BCFP VET2011-11-06 00:22

    You don't have a safety vest??? wear's the yellow reflectors?? nice shape though, looks like a older vest, my bcfp stuff was embrodered right in the clothing, no patches, that's odd of bcfp to have that done, i was just digging threw my box of pic'sand i have some detailed pictures of the gordon river logging camp being torn down, plus i have pictures of woss camp of the diferrent camps, as well, i have the very first timberwest cap that was given tome as a present its white and fancy green and red black, its when they were know as timberwest forest products, before they shortened it, did you ever receive a bcfp ball cap the white mesh and bcfp logo on the front and below it, it would display the name of the camp or city you worked in, kinda the same as fcc did with there blue corduroy ball caps,

  498. #498BCFP VET2011-11-06 01:09

    I got one for you Dave, i have no idea how to download on this site lol

  499. #499BCFP VET2011-11-06 01:18
  500. #500BCFP VET2011-11-06 01:35
  501. #501Dave Hadden2011-11-06 23:53

    I didn't wear any kind of safety vest as I was the Warehouseman/Buyer for most of my time in Renfrew and it wasn't a requirement for that job. During the years I got most of the goodies and trinkets given out but didn't save anything of note. I do have a chrome Hayes bear hood ornament and a brass Hayes fuel tank cap kicking around somewhere but I never saved much nor took any photos of those days. Wish I had. I've got a few things from my Island Mack Truck Sales days too, like vests and jackets and caps and fishing lures and whatever else I accumulated. Anyway, nice to trade tales with another old guy. Take care.

  502. #502HDX2011-11-10 21:22

    Let see here Dave Bill Block Tom Shore Jim Dawes

  503. #503Dave Hadden2011-11-11 15:02

    Reprobates I tell ya, reprobates all of them!!! LOL Knew them all well as well as a hundred other guys in the industry, both the logging and the truck parts sales end of things. Starting in the pulp mill at Gold River early in 1967 then to the logging div in 1969 then to Campbell River in '73, Juskatla, Jordan River and Port Renfrew, Eden Lake then Sandspit then back here to Campbell River then Port McNeill over a period of some 35 years means I've met and/or worked with quite a few guys and gals. Bill Block, Jim Dawes and I go back a long ways now that I think about it. Tom, Roger Morrisey and Bill Trynchy I got to know when I went to work for them in 1987 by opening a store at Sandspit and running it until 1990 when I moved back here. I always felt like I was treated very well by those guys and Island Mack Truck Sales and wish we could have survived the downsizing of the industry during those days. Ah well.........what might have been eh? Take care.

  504. #504Hayesno12011-12-04 15:22

    An IH5000 with lowbed running for Millstream Timber in 1986 close to Ucluelet. At pic 2 you can see fenders of last built Hayes HD model - Millsteam unit #33. Sorry I did not take any pictures of tracked loader. Today I regret, as it seems pretty interesting.

  505. #505SPMiller2012-01-14 22:16

    Recent photos... Coastal BC, trees still grow here.

  506. #506trainwreck2012-01-14 22:28

    ok how do they get the barge/ship or whatever that is called to tip over but not roll all the way over?

  507. #50769hayes2012-01-15 00:06

    They open valves to the port or starboard ballast tanks to flood them,which ever side they want it to dump, once dumped they pump them out. The barge just slides out from under the load, in the old days it could be very violent when they dumped with the barge skidding across the water.

  508. #508JTL2012-01-15 01:51

    Was it on Ax Men last season when they showed that barge unloading? I know I seen a video of it somewhere. Pretty awesome stuff. You would wanna make sure yer hat is on good and snug, thats for sure!!

  509. #509Born2clearcut2012-01-15 08:48

    Heres a few of another log barge dumping

  510. #510Born2clearcut2012-01-15 08:51

    couple more

  511. #511trainwreck2012-01-15 12:28

    Thanks for the info, that is very interesting.

  512. #512trux2012-01-17 10:32

    Hi ya all, I'm new to this forum. I'm wondering how I can add photos. Would appreciate some help, thanks

  513. #513Born2clearcut2012-01-17 11:44

    Welcome to the forum . I think you need to do 3 post before you can post pictures . Looks cold over in Comox area today lol

  514. #514trux2012-01-17 11:47

    Thanks appreciate the info. Yes it is cold

  515. #515trux2012-01-20 21:51

    not vancouver island logging but northern bc logging,nass camp north of terrace bc.my dad with my brother and myself on fender of kw.

  516. #516trux2012-01-21 00:01

    naka creek summer 2011

  517. #517dirty4fun2012-01-21 11:24

    Darn, I sure enjoy seeing those big old trucks with big load of timber. I just got to get out there this summer and find a place to just watch them being loaded and watch a few yarders working.

  518. #518log frog2012-01-21 12:47

    Vancouver Island 2011

  519. #519trux2012-01-21 14:40

    1st picture koprino log dump,2nd naka creek,3rd fair harbour

  520. #520trux2012-01-21 14:47

    fair harbour,zeballos log sort,peel creek

  521. #5210752012-01-21 15:36

    That can not be Koprino log dump,The mud should be 2 feet deep there lol

  522. #522trux2012-01-21 15:55

    crushed rock and gravel is a definite help.LOL!

  523. #523log big2012-01-21 17:05

    i would love to see how logging dune on vancouver island it would be a memory i would never for get^_^

  524. #524Bounty_Hunter852012-02-29 00:17

    i was driving the bounty hunter last year for Tranquil Timber ltd they still own the truck.

  525. #525Hayesno12012-03-01 09:37

    Welcome aboard Bounty_Hunter85. Great to hear that "Bounty hunter" is still around. I will post a few pics of her at Hayes thread

  526. #526trux2012-03-26 17:16

    wfp's lowbed with an 850 kw preload being used as a push truck in koprino

  527. #527kw602012-03-30 21:39

    hi all up north. been hwy trucker on coast all my working years.it's taken me several days to get thru your 36 pages and all i can say you guys are the meanist thing on logging and trucking i've ever seen. unbelivable. can't get enough.

  528. #528HDX2012-03-30 22:51

    Welcome to the family kw60 The guys here are ALL GREAT and LOVE to share a wealth of history and knowledge !!!

  529. #529Hayesno12012-03-31 02:31

    A highway KW slope nose in the bush with a huge load at Head Bay summer 2007

  530. #530Vigilant2012-03-31 12:35

    Looks like a lot to put on a highway truck without a lift axle, eh?

  531. #5310752012-04-01 22:07

    The Benson River truck wash

  532. #5320752012-04-02 00:50

    Summer on the Island . Fire weed, Log Barge going to Pulp mill, and a lighting strike.

  533. #533SPMiller2012-04-03 02:39

    Because every seems to love log Barges.... Taken today, Going, going, gone]

  534. #534SPMiller2012-04-03 02:41

    Dumping at twin creeks... Friends video http://youtu.be/jtLJroiDa8s

  535. #535dirty4fun2012-04-03 05:29

    Quite a picture of the log barge getting a ride. Lot of small boats riding on the log barge. Thanks for sharing!

  536. #536JTL2012-04-03 06:08

    Well at 5 bucks a gallon a gallon for fuel, I don't blame them for piggy backin' a ride.

  537. #537jackd2012-04-03 09:08

    I take it these are the final shots of the Straits Logger, Haida Brave and several other vessels as they head off to some foreign scrapyard? There is actually a second ship in behind the Straits Logger. Anyone know the destination?

  538. #538TorkelH2012-04-03 09:39

    Fantastic picture! Wish it was on it's way to Norway, we could certainly make use for it here!

  539. #539Born2clearcut2012-04-03 10:00

    jackd I heard on Globle news they are goin to Japan with the log barge and tugs

  540. #540jackd2012-04-03 10:17

    I was reading several months ago about the tug boat industry economic downturn and subsequent retirement of several notable coastal tugs. The Straits Logger and the Haida Brave are also casualties of this situation. It sounded like it was a bit of a blood bath and as a result companies were not investing in much needed new equipment - sounds very similar to the forest industry in the past few decades. Many job losses as well.

  541. #541SPMiller2012-04-03 14:46

    off to China, eventually. 2 ships and 5 tugs. They are slated for scrap, although I was told by someone that after being to china a few times, it would not surprise him if some of them sailed again In the mean time The Development Way will not be sailing anytime soon, vessel is a toatal nightmare Transport Canada is all over them. DNV, NK, Class etc. wiil not let the vessel sail until the welds securing the log ships to the deck of the ship are redone. Turns out chinese farmers dont make very good welders. I would not want to be in any serious weather with that deck load.....hope they make it to China.

  542. #542Choker man2012-04-04 01:29

    I would wonder how the ship Development would handle a rough crossing! The Province newspaper posted a photo of "Development" and not much of an article about why the ships were being sent to the scrap yard. Were the tugs and barge [ship] so worn out that they couldn't be used any longer? Also in the Province was an article stating the old rant about sending logs off-shore cheaply and buying back with the value added. I wonder what Mr. H. R. MacMillan and some of the old timber harvesters would say about sending all this wood overseas. In the U S A a while ago the I W A and longshoremen were quite vocal about sending the raw logs overseas. Now that B C is sending raw logs overseas where is the cry from the Companies [in my opinion are American ] and unions appear to now be quiet.

  543. #543jackd2012-04-04 09:40

    Not at all - there is quite the vocal objection to the shipping of raw logs overseas by both Business and Unions over on Vancouver Island. You just won't see much mention of it in any of rags covering the news out of Vancouver.

  544. #544hoglogg2012-04-04 10:49

    vancouver island is in the most part private land. not crown , if private land owners want to ship logs off to wherever, instead of the high cost of utilizing our labour , thats there deal .... look into the percentage of crown timber milled here and the small percentage of raw logs going to asia (off crown land ) .... those big companies doing this are renamed old school companys m and b is island timberlands bc forest products now timberwest etc ... i would rather see all of us working , cutting locally but its free enterprise ,, these big corporations dont care about people at all , just there bottom line ..... look at how many mills are being built in asia versus here ..

  545. #545KevWeb812012-04-05 11:39

    That's all I keep thinking, I'm not the type of person who likes to spend a lot of time in the water, I prefer to be on land, so I can't help but think that that load looks awfully precarious.

  546. #546TD-52012-04-09 01:15

    Here are a few more pictures of the scrap load for china, All this equipment belongs to Seaspan International, most of it aquired through aquistion of other companies. There are actual 8 tugboats loaded on the Straits Logger, From the back of the barge going Fwd, outside to inside, "Harmac Fir" ex Macmillian Blodel (Kingcome Navigation), "Seaspan Master" ex Island Tug & Slavage, "Texada Crown" ex Crown Zellerbach(Canadian Tug boat co), "Mercer Straits" ex Rivtow, "Bering Straits" ex Rivtow, "Seaspan Charger" & on the bow of the logger, "Storm Coaster" ex Rivtow, ex..??? "Rivtow Princess ex Rivtow ex..???. The log Ship "Haida Brave" ex Mac Blo(Kingcome Navigation) is loaded aft of the logger

  547. #547SPMiller2012-04-09 12:46

    A few of the boats are single screw vessels and are pretty old, so spending any money on them is a little pointless. Twin screws have more versatility and are a safer more reliable vessel. The Haida Brave had her cranes removed and installed on the Haida Monarch. The log ships were costly to run, so they have been phased out. Haida Monarch is now a barge and is no longer self-propelled. The Logger is likely rotten beyond reasonable repair. The Princess was parted out.... I think the Rivtow Princess came from back east, so thats why you're not likely finding any info. Smit Princess brings up some info and an awesome boat name to boot. Federal Beaver. Gonna set sail on the Beaver. http://stevebriggs.netfirms.com/osmrm/xfederalbeaver.htmll

  548. #548GoldRiverHD2012-04-16 16:57

    2216 from WFP Gold River takin last summer. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...740050540104_737965103_20059352_4997664_n.jpg

  549. #549rayb2012-08-18 22:55

    Not really Vancouver Island, But Nootka Island has the same terrain and loggers. This was Doman's camp at McBride Bay. I was a young forest engineer here in the early 80's. My focus was more on the cutblocks than the equipment, but some of it was really eye catching.

  550. #550Hayesno12012-09-16 03:44

    Pics from Sarita dump/drysort summer 2012

  551. #551Hayesno12012-09-16 03:50

    More from Sarita...

  552. #552Hayesno12012-09-16 03:57

    More pics form Sarita. Much to look at - lot of activities - I could stay there for a hole day!

  553. #553furpo2012-09-17 04:20

    I didnt realise you guys are still putting logs in the water. We would get shot down here if we did that.

  554. #554Born2clearcut2012-09-17 10:37

    Almost every west coast operation uses water to get logs to the mills

  555. #555log big2012-09-17 15:44

    ware is sarita at?

  556. #556hoglogg2012-09-17 15:49

    west coast, vancouver island, british columbia, canada ................

  557. #557log big2012-09-18 01:34

    i would love to see how logging is in BC Montana is different nothing big we did have a big mill but its been torn down but we float the logs to the mill on a big river

  558. #558Hayesno12012-09-24 13:32

    Some pics of Woss Camp A reload(trucks to train) now a WFP operation - summer 2012

  559. #559Hayesno12012-09-24 13:38

    More pics from Camp A near Woss

  560. #560TorkelH2012-09-26 05:05

    That is Madill 046 22074, originally mounted on M10 crawler carrier and with Madill "S" series spar. Delivered from Madill in 1976. I don't know who was original customer of this machine, but it seems to have been owned by Madill prior to being rebuilt. Did you Hayesno1 get the serial nbr of some of the other 046 reloaders at Englewood?

  561. #561Hayesno12012-09-26 15:40

    TorkelH; thanks for great information. Sorry I did not get any serial number!

  562. #562Sigurd2012-11-19 17:12

    Contract Logger, about pic nr. 2, H 17 pulling two pups.Was that a common setup? I have only seen one pup at M&B. Guess it had to be fairly flat roads for such heavy loads! Is it from the late sixties or seventies? Last pic, could it be Holberg. Sigurd

  563. #563Sigurd2012-11-19 17:17

    Sorry, its a reply to post # 4 Sigurd

  564. #564HDX2012-11-24 19:30

    Sigurd 1977!!!!

  565. #565Sigurd2012-11-25 05:55

    HDX, thank you sir! Looking forward for the other questions----- Sigurd

  566. #566BCFP VET2012-12-11 00:56

    I have something to say, it has been along time since bcfp and cfpl have been aound why dont every contractor out there get together and reform these two well known outfits including paint logos, the works, maybe even throw in cz, to really bring back the memories. cheers.

  567. #567crisco62552013-01-26 17:43

    It looks like a willamette skidder engine

  568. #568Hayesno12013-01-27 10:50

    Beer belly tire‏ I got these pics from "HDX" a few days ago. We could not figure out where to post them, but i took decision to day - hope it's okay! So shoot "HDX" - tell the story...

  569. #569Born2clearcut2013-01-27 11:06

    I've seen few chokermen with something like that on their forehead after wrestling with 1 1/8 kinky bead

  570. #570HDX2013-01-27 11:57

    Hayesno1 Thanks for doing this! Here is the story IPL unit#H153 parked in Sarita Yard over the weekend as usual. Come monday morning this is what Arnie Magnussen (Master Mechanic) found!!! Because of the hazzard he told the driver to take another truck for a trip while he took care of this! He moved the truck out of the way and then he and Cam Grieder (tireman) managed to get the tire deflated and removed. Here is the problem with these tires--It is so hard and expensive now to get the 14:00X25 Michelin's (about 3000.00 each without rim - just the tire) and these chinese tires called Triangle have flooded the market.These tires are a Michelin "H"block knockoffs-in other words they use a very similar tread pattern to the Michelin. As with any company, they install new tires on the trucks and the take-offs are used for trailer tires . However with the Triangle tires these things do not last very long before the sidewalls blow out. In the 4 years we have been using them over 350 of these have failed. The tire shop in town has warranted in excess of 150 These tires. They will just blow a sidewall section out without any warning!!! It is only a matter of time till somebody is badly injured around these time bombs. Now just before somebody say's OH YEA its an impact bruise that caused this WELL IT WASNT. Brand new set installed on unit #H146 in Nov. Truck has worked less than 20 shifts and two tires have already grown similar flotation devices to the one above. H152 same thing and this was AFTER the rubber compound was changed. If we can get 50% life out of them before they self destruct it is great. I have been very fortunate in that my truck has always had the Michelins on it (3 times the life) but they are getting down now but i will run them till there is just wire before any of these are installed. Cam the tireman has a pile across from his tireshop that would make anybody just shake your head. They are anywhere from new to 80% tire left and all have had a catastrophic failures. On top of all that then you have to pay to have the tires hauled away and disposed of (another 100 dollars each) HOWEVER you gotta admit the above pics are something you dont see every day LOL

  571. #571Hayesno12013-01-27 13:04

    HDX; Thanks for sharing pictures and information. Here are a few pics from last summer when I had an unforgettable/memorable day when you took me for a ride in H17. You picked up a huge load of heli logged hemlock (120-130 tons). 20 km ahead of Sarita dry land we heard i big bang. A trailer tire was flat. We limped back to Sarita. I can't remember; was a Triangle tire? Thanks for a great trip/day!

  572. #572tugman2013-01-27 13:35

    On a thread here called, "West coast logging camps, shops, barges etc, I have put up many pictures of old equipment that I move with my tug & barge. Barge camps etc. In early 70's I owned a log sorting ground, so I have albums of pictures dumping log barges etc. I sorted & boomed logs for M&B, Crown Zellerbach, Tahsis Co. & more. I'll get to scanning some of these pictures to show. Any of you who haven't seen them, may want to have a look. Some that are particularly interesting. About the time self loading log barges were really becoming the way to transport logs, we still had some flat decks. Many of these were old ships that had just had a flat deck installed for carrying logs. Others were converted barges. However the interesting part is, in the summer when the logs got very dry (especially cedar). The barge will flood and tip, but the logs won't come off. We used to have a guy who would come along & set small charges of dynamite and shake 'em off. I have some very good close up pictures of this, (at the expense of having chunks off bark flying over my head.) These old flat decks were loaded with a spar and boom rigged on the beach. They were brought into a slip and loaded that way. A job my brother & I did in the early sixties.

  573. #573Hayesno12013-01-27 14:36

    Some pictures of IPL #H152 Pacific P16 truck

  574. #574Machinedr32013-01-27 15:36

    Well it has taken a few hours to go through theses pages. Vancouver Island is where I was raised and the logging industry is where I started my carreer. These pictures and notes really bring back memories

  575. #575tugman2013-02-01 16:48

    In 1973, I had the job of building all the stiff legs and floats for this booming ground, when M&B moved from Port Hardy to Port McNeill.

  576. #576louisgbone2013-02-18 06:33

    Dave I thought You might like to know the 27 CL350ST Mack was sold to Apex House Moving in may 1978 this company was in burnaby,bc on the lower mainland . The CL350ST was designed by Pat Wilson of Mack Trucks in 1975 and was introduced to the market in June 1976. Say in some pictures of CL350ST there are some with dual square headlamps was this a Mack update or a M&B update. You say You worked for Island Mack could You tell Me who the owner of that company was and any parts dept employees that You knew in Nanaimo I might know them and You as I worked on Vancouver Island in the 70,s

  577. #577Dave Hadden2013-02-18 13:17

    I suspect you're referring to me so here's a bit of my history and stuff. When I went to work for Island Mack in 1987 the company was owned by three guys, Bill Trynchy, Roger Morrisey and Tom Shore. Tom died not too long after I joined the company, probably in '88 or '89. Memory failing me. LOL The two parts guys I worked with most were Bill Block and Jimmy Dawes. I had dealt with them for years previously as the Warehouseman/Buyer for BCFP at the Renfrew Logging Div. when they were with Peterbilt in Nanaimo. The wholesale use of jobber parts rather than OEM parts for Clark, K-B and others started about then as I recall too. I started in the logging end of things in 1969 at Gold River when I became Warehouseman there. Probably met Bill and Jim somewhere after that. I left there in 1973 then worked for a Campbell River gyppo for a few months, then at Arthur and Chant as a GM partsman for a bit then went to Juskatla as Warehouse Supervisor for 10 months or so in Feb. of '74. Left there end of October 1974, went to Hawaii surfing then ended up moving to Jordan River in 1975 from whence I started for BCFP in 1976. Got picked off in the mid '80's slump when we all shut down and stuff. Ended up working at Eden Lake in the Charlottes for Husby in '86-'87 which brings us back around to Island Mack truck, who I joined after leaving Husby. I can't help you regarding the headlamp thing but I'm sure someone else can, given the extremely high level of knowledge available here. And I mean that in the most sincere and positive way too. Damned impressive stuff off this site, believe me. Hope this helped a bit. Take care.

  578. #578Scott_5272013-02-19 08:49

    Does anyone here know if Ted Leroys 124 and 075 were salvaged after they fell off tthe barge in Robson Bight? I've read a lot of stuff about the incident and cleanup but all they talk about is the feul truck. Is Ted LeRoy still in business or has he closed up completely?

  579. #579tugman2013-02-19 10:34

    The only thing salvaged was the fuel truck. A salvage company from Holland came and did that work. As far as I know Ted Leroy is out of business. He was hiding out and did not attend court when he was supposed to. The court findings are on line here. His son Kevin is still in the trucking business.

  580. #580Scott_5272013-02-19 10:49

    Thanks for the info Tugman. There's some cool pictures of the barge fully loaded on one of the threads here, it looks like it was all pretty nice gear. I'd like to somehow get the serial #s of the yarder and line loader.

  581. #581UrParts2013-02-19 11:09

    We use Volvo's in Ireland for Logging. See below http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcLW2A5uQQ

  582. #582Born2clearcut2013-02-19 11:48

    Thats a pretty kool setup :scool

  583. #583dunwurken2013-02-19 19:23

    KIRK Leroy is Ted's son and is in the trucking business. Jason is his other son who was more involved with Ted Leroy Trucking.

  584. #584dunwurken2013-02-24 23:37

    Not really Van Isle logging at it's best but it happened. This is video from the ROV sent down after the barge upended in Johnstone strait with TLT equipment. The octopus seems to have found a good perch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TUMsEJPK7uU http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti.../20/bc-robson-bight-fuel-truck-recovered.html

  585. #585madilljt2013-03-06 12:37

    These are my pics, The truck with the "M" on the guard is on of the two macks BenWest got when they acquired Fred Koch's camp in Lochborough Inlet, it is mostly used for lowbedding, this pic was from the first year Benwest had the camp. Thelast pic is of the other truck that came with the same acquisition. Both are BenWest units

  586. #586Scott_5272013-03-07 14:44

    How's the Bendickson group of companies work? Are Benwest and Stafford lake logging two seperate companies or have they been merged into BenWest? Are they still running a 123, 3 7280s, and a 7230?

  587. #587Hayesno12013-03-10 17:17

    Hi madilljt, Welcome aboard. Sorry I did not know it was your pictures. I got pictures from Ben. He mailed them to me helping me with a few specifications as I am building a scale model (1/87) of that Mack. I just finished my blueprints this Winter with help from another great guy at this site. Thanks for information. As I recall he just like you mentioned that Ben West(they have/had 6 CL350) later got 2 CL350 from another contractor - this must be from Fred Koch. Thanks for sharing information. Are all 6 still going strong?

  588. #588Wdonaldson2013-03-16 17:51

    Vancouver Island Second Growth Logging. Fletcher Challenge Setting near Skutz Falls. Madill 122 Grapple Yarder. Chapman 1825-B Log Loader. Caterpillar 235 Backspar Hoe. Probably wouldn't be a high lead show now a days.

  589. #589Scott_5272013-03-17 21:53

    Does Interfor still do any of their own logging/yarding/roudbuilding or are they mostly into land managment and milling now? I know they went through a major restructuring awhile back anx wasn't sure if they got out of the harvesting end of things.

  590. #5900752013-03-17 22:36

    No Interfor Screwed over all their employees and contracted out all their logging operations.

  591. #591Scott_5272013-03-17 22:56

    Thanks for clearing that up 075

  592. #5920752013-03-18 00:09

    I should add that my brother is one of their contractors and is doing fine with them. Its just that I know many hard working guys that worked for them and were let go after many years of service with no severance.

  593. #593Scott_5272013-03-18 08:49

    Seems to happen all too often, unfortunately. How big of an outfit is your brother running? I remember you saying he has that 143, what else is he running for equipment? Any chance of getting a few pictures?

  594. #594Hayesno12013-03-18 15:34

    Here is a pic I got from HDX. Pic is showing a Terex logging truck. Owner was Butler Bros; Sooke. Y1983. HDX; thanks for sharing.

  595. #595RCP572013-03-18 16:43

    Got any more pictures of the green bean?

  596. #596HDX2013-03-18 22:17

    Jeez not sure Just went through one or two of the small box's looking for ERT pics and came across a couple more of different stuff so Hayesno1 posted em for me Will keep looking OK

  597. #5970752013-03-18 22:37

    He also has an 044 double main that he got from Prince Rupert and three 3800's. Will have to look and see if I have any pictures

  598. #598RCP572013-03-18 22:40

    Sounds good. I guess I have a thing for Hilite green.

  599. #599Hayesno12013-03-19 17:50

    Some pics from the Island shot in summer 2007. Pic 1 and 2 are from Sarita. Pic 3 showing some of A. Woods dump truck(3 Pacifics and 1 Hayes HD) in Campbell River. Pic 4 and 5 are from Head Bay.

  600. #600TorkelH2013-03-20 04:12

    Looking forward to see pictures of both machines working!

  601. #601Hayesno12013-03-20 16:42

    Few pics of INTERFOR equipment

  602. #602Juskatla2013-05-01 12:28

    Great Pictures! I spent a lot of years around these areas when the big companies were still working instead of contracting. Now most logs from Vancouver Island seem to go out on barges heading south or loaded on ships going to Asia. We get the wood back as Walmart stuff. Thanks for posting all these. Great memories for many of us. Jess

  603. #603stevesloan2013-05-09 15:31

    I worked for the Port mcNeill Division for 20 yeras. Ten years in the sort strapping. Last worked there july 2005. At that point Weyerhaeuser basically shut the sort down and sent all wood directly to the water. Sort went fro about 15 people down to acouple. just enough to run the scale and deal with samples. Loved working there!! Miss it............

  604. #604sowdenmechanics2013-05-09 17:35

    am an apprentice heavy duty mechanic with the hopes of having my own logging equipment and the trucks and towers i see on here or beutys and need to be restored or brought back to life there history and for me living in bc most of our towns were built around the industry if i was a serious buyer and wanted to buy some trucks and equipment from one of the yards and wrench on them and restore them how could i contact some of the owners or find the yards

  605. #605sowdenmechanics2013-05-12 12:05

    hey I'm an apprentice heavy duty mechanic I have worked for logging companies on the island I was wanting to buy equipment to have my own company could you tell me some of the yards around in bc that might have old ad equipment to sitting there

  606. #606HDX2013-05-12 22:02

    sowdenmechanics Where do you live on Vancouver Island??? Big place! What are you looking for??? Remember that this stuff is there because of poor rates and even too much rate cutting and having to chase guys down to go to work and then in a lot of case's the companies that owned it all finally gave up and put it out to pasture. In a lot of yards its NOT JUNKED it is just sitting parked. This is not the time to be trying to rebuild equipment and then try finding a place to work it Hell half the equipment is parked because you cant find an operator to run it. Off highway trucks would simply kill you to try and do anything with -They are now a logistical nightmare to even try and move from place to place. Madill towers are finished in most place's The price of parts and lines will put you right to the poor house gate. Then you would have to find a crew NOT VERY LIKELY. If you got the resto bug figure out what you want to rebuild and then go research out what it will cost to fix up and then try and think of what your gonna do with it-- Cant eat it -- We all on here want to save as much as we can but then connon sense come into play If you want to restore an old piece of equipment go to work for any contractor because he will sure as hell have a boneyard full of dreams. Im sure whoever you work for will gladly trade you work hours for an artifact. Im not trying to pee on your parade but shoot me an email and I will talk to you about stuff OK

  607. #6070752013-05-21 00:22

    Putting the big ones on the little truck

  608. #608donkey doctor2013-05-21 07:22

    Wow! Don't see a lot like that anymore. Nice pics Thanks for sharing. regards. d.d.

  609. #609Scott_5272013-05-21 08:32

    075, Great pictures as usual! I always enjoy seeing a snorkel doing its thing

  610. #610HDX2013-05-21 21:44

    Nice Berries 075 nice building material Big berry on top of each stake then build from there LOL You been there!!!!!

  611. #611SPMiller2013-06-25 13:52
  612. #612SPMiller2013-06-25 13:55

    All from one tree...

  613. #61369hayes2013-06-25 15:40

    That looks awful dicey, how did it turn out?

  614. #614SPMiller2013-06-25 15:47

    Looked worst then it actually was from what I was told. I should mentioned these are photos I've been asked to share.

  615. #615SPMiller2013-06-28 18:54

    Holberg.

  616. #6160752013-06-28 21:08

    Its sunny how can that be Holberg? Is Mark still driving that Hayes?

  617. #617SPMiller2013-07-03 11:22

    Kevin sent me the photo. He's the hooker.

  618. #618SPMiller2013-07-05 17:23
  619. #619HDX2013-07-06 01:28

    Looks like one of ex M&B Shawnigan Division's old Pacific P12's with the center-mount cab These trucks got scattered all over the place.

  620. #620Teen trucker2013-07-18 02:33

    When it was at the barge ramp a rock popped a hole in it

  621. #621glenlunberg2013-07-18 23:15

    This is a great thread! As usual, there are lots of interesting big machines, big trucks and big logs!

  622. #622SPMiller2013-07-19 15:21

    Holberg Have a great Video of this getting loaded.. have to get it up

  623. #623ap40rocktruck2013-07-20 07:46

    WOW, a rare hauler in deed, that you both HDX for the image & Hayesno1 for posting it! Ap40

  624. #624caycusion2013-07-25 00:28

    last pic on the right...spur 12 garnet margetish on loader

  625. #625caycusion2013-07-25 00:32

    the last 3pics in this post were taken nearly 20 years after BCFP folded....shessh ..some peoples kids...130 sitting at the HBO sort..72 out in camper...138 at mesachie

  626. #626caycusion2013-07-25 00:37

    who the hell is this "contact logger idiot"?...the first one is a water truck that still has the fletcher puking dog on the side....parked at Mesachie.....second one is a sand truck parked beside the linehorse at Mesachie...once again 20 years after BCFP owned them.

  627. #627Vigilant2013-07-25 01:06

    Starting out with a bang, eh? Regardless of your first impression of him, CL is a long-standing, well-respected member here, and a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully your opinion of him will change with time. He's good people, as I'm sure you are.

  628. #628DBDLS2013-07-25 11:33

    I am in 100% agreement with Vigilant. Contract Logger is a prolific contributor to this forum and is very well respected for his knowledge and experience. My mother always said, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.' Step up to the plate with photos, serial numbers, names, places, history, interesting stories, videos and anything else that you may have that will make a positive contribution to our forum. This forum is for people that show respect for each other and what they know. Take the time to read the totality of what members such as Contract Logger, Torkel, Rusty Grapple, 075, Trakloader and others have contributed and try to do better than them. That's how you will get respect and show respect to others.

  629. #629Knocker of rock2013-07-25 12:54

    Where is Contract Logger, it looks like he hasn't posted in a long time

  630. #630Vigilant2013-07-25 13:17

    Hopefully, in the remote bush, taking more photos.

  631. #631TorkelH2013-07-25 17:38

    Contract Logger changed name to Rusty Grapple last year. He and Trakloader started most of the threads related to yarders and west coast logging machinery history from the sixties and up. Contract Logger contributed tons and tons of his waste knowledge in this field. These threads are undoubtly preserving and sharing tons of history that had not been available for anyone if not published here, so they really deserve nothing but greatful thanks from all of us interested in west coast logging machinery!

  632. #632TorkelH2013-07-25 17:40

    Probably, only hope he's not forgetting to post from his more or less unlimited archive also!

  633. #633Vigilant2013-07-25 18:50

    I'm still waiting for some shots of the Vail reload.

  634. #634Vigilant2013-07-25 18:52

    Very well said. Under both handles, Eric has contributed a lot of heart and soul to this forum, along with the historical data.

  635. #635DBDLS2013-07-26 01:05

    Should also mention as stellar contributors HDX, jackd, HayesHD and Dave Hadden. Thank you to all you fine gentlemen.

  636. #636jackd2013-07-26 12:25

    Thank you for the kind mention but I consider myself to be a small contributor these days. I'm quite pleased to see more old timers stepping up to the plate and figuring out how to post their collections of pics. When are you moving back down to the Island permanently?

  637. #637Dave Hadden2013-07-27 14:07

    Thanks for the mention but lacking any photos I've got but memories and stories to share which pale in comparison to the stories told by the awesome photos some of the real major contributors here share with us. Appreciate the mention but MY hat's off to several others here for sure. Take care.

  638. #638DBDLS2013-07-29 12:20

    We've made the move back to God's country. I've PM'd you how to get ahold of us. Let me know if you haven't got the PM. Welcome back to the Island yourself.

  639. #639jackd2013-07-29 23:13

    Never got your pm - but I sent you one instead....

  640. #640SPMiller2013-08-09 11:20
  641. #6410752013-08-09 21:24

    That's way to much decking on that lowbed they should take those two boards off!!!

  642. #642dirty4fun2013-08-09 21:26

    Less decking helps to keep the weight down. Looks like moving a yarder would not be a lot of fun.

  643. #6430752013-08-11 00:10

    Steel on steel makes things slide real easy in leans and steep hills . Slid off the side of an lowbed once in a 075 as soon as I got on the steel at the back when walking off when the lowbed was leaned over. Falling off a lowbed cab side down in a Beaver pond will make your sphincter pucker let me tell you !

  644. #644Vigilant2013-08-11 00:43

    I learned that same lesson years ago trying to load a steel-wheel roller on a tilt deck in the rain.

  645. #645donkey doctor2013-08-11 01:09

    We were loading out an 071 Madill at the Duke Pt. barge ramp in the middle of the night many years ago. As a favor to the customer we were also going to load a Cat that was going into camp. It was a fairly low tide and the ramp was steep. The skipper on the tug was impatient wanting to catch the tide. Instead of taking the time to tire the ramp it was just "get er done and lets get home and back to bed". Broke over the top of the ramp and hit the steel decking and away it went. Started to turn sideways and the picture in my mind was going through the brow log and how cold the water probably was. Not to mention work boots,coveralls and of course no flotation device. Can't swim either. I stood up, stepped to the high side, stepped over the tracks and let er go. Laid there on the ramp with what I thought was a broken wrist and watched it thunder it down the ramp in a shower of sparks, hit the barge deck tearing up a bunch of decking because the blade was quite low and start idling towards the side of the barge. The deckhand who had run out of the way at the bottom of the ramp ran over, got on and got it stopped with one track half over the side. Harbour commission guy who was there to run the ramp insisted he had to take me to the hospital to have my wrist x-rayed and nothing else could be loaded till he got back. Not that it would have done any good loading as he had to lift the ramp off the barge before it could sail anyway. Didn't have the nerve when I got back to load the 071 so my partner loaded it and yes we pulled tires. Skipper was a little miffed that he missed the tide. The good old days. d.d.

  646. #646camptramp2013-08-26 00:48

    HDX Posting #256 includes a picture of the Cattermolt #221 heres a little history on it .It was wrecked at Narrows Inlet around the mid 1970s then sent to Pit Lake for a while then as a very run down truck with tires that would almost hold air it was loaded on a barge and sent to Nekite R. in the summer of 1979 . To say it was an interesting couple of months driving it would be an under statment I had to jack the roof up to just get in the cab the water tank was pushed into the fuel tank which was pushed into the back of the cab which was bowed in ,I have pictures and more tales . Thats how it got to Elk R. Nekite shut down around the same time BCFP bought Elk R. I guess they drew the short straw for a water truck .

  647. #647camptramp2013-08-26 23:46

    Say BCFP VET Ive got one of thoughs Fletcher Challenge vests on posting #501 from Renfrew Div. I wear it every time I crawl under what ever truck Im driving to grease it

  648. #648camptramp2013-08-27 00:36

    Hayesno1 in posting #473 there is a blue KW with a sander did you notice it is wide track but it does not have an off set cab . In the mid 1970s Butler Bro. were contracting for Pacific Logging at Sooke . I dont know the whole story but Butlers pulled out and Pacific took over the Div. Bill Neil had given up the hauling contract a couple years prior to transition . To fill the need for trucks Butlers had hired anything that had bunks to haul there logs. when Pacific took over they found a fleet of thoughs KWs. painted red along with preload trailers with dollies as they had been used in northwestern Alberta as trains . Cant remmber how many 7or 8 maybe more . When Pacific shut down their Sooke Div. 2 of thoughs KWs were moved over to their Masachie Lake Div. to use as low bed truck and pusher truck.

  649. #649Hayesno12013-08-28 15:33

    camptramp; thanks for sharing this very interesting information. First time when I saw those 2 blue KW's I was bit confused when I saw those wide rears but now you solved the mystery. And I have solved another mystery.. I know whom you are. I met you back in 2010 at the ATHS truck show in Duncan. You showed me your great BCFP picture Collection. That was an unforgettable afternoon. Thanks once again.

  650. #650camptramp2013-08-28 23:15

    Hayesno1 sounds like you got it figured out, we will have to touch base sometime and trade a few tales. I,ll post some of those pictures when I get the computer figured out .

  651. #651camptramp2013-08-29 00:04

    Dave H. Heres a little Renfrew history for you , the warehouse part of the old Renfrew shop with the batten board vertical siding that they moved over and attached to the back of the Gordon R. shop was originaly the warehouse beside the rail road locie shop at Beach Camp. The over head crane that was removed from the Renfrew shop and used in the new addision to Gordon R. shop was also from the old locie shop at Beach Camp. All gone now that Timberwast had it torched.

  652. #652Dom2013-08-29 09:21

    I was in Port Renfrew last June, interesting place. Went for a walk on the new trails to see some of the big douglas fir trees.

  653. #653Dave Hadden2013-08-29 15:31

    Again, you blow my mind with your recall and history. Thank you very much whoever you are. Take care.

  654. #654camptramp2013-08-29 23:53

    Dave H Dont you recall a hit on the recording charts about 1963 64 Surfer Joe by the Surfaries ,maybe Im showing my age.LOL Ive got quite a few pictures including some of the 6-284 When I post them ,Im sure you will recognize me . And your right we worked with a lot of good people that shared a lot of good knowlege if you where paying attention. Some of those rainy or snowy days wresling an inch and eighth kinky chocker, or loading a loader on a dropcenter lowbed looking down at the road on the next swith back down hill thinking that if something goes wrong Im going to be down there ,dont seem that bad any more. But the best one is the day Ernie Harrison and I put a Blue Jay in Fred Mcmurrys lunch kit .

  655. #655Vigilant2013-08-30 00:03

    Here ya go, Tramp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXQgbF1yJa8

  656. #656Dave Hadden2013-08-30 02:08

    !963 was the year I graduated from high school, CARIHI here in Campbell River. Last Friday we had a 50th. anniversary get-together on the Tyee Spit, where I live, so you must have a few years on me. And years after your Blue Jay prank I recall a Crow taking up residence (with some assistance) in Steve Hajdu's lunchbox one day at Renfrew. Quite exciting when "Susie" opened it up looking for a sandwich. If my memory ever improves I'll swap stories with you later on. LOL Take care,

  657. #657camptramp2013-08-30 12:12

    Dave H we did it to Fred just before lunch when he opened his lunch box he got quite a surprize,dont think he ever forgave us. Your the senior citizen I should have graduated in 1966 , but they just about had to burn down the school to get me out of grade 9 .So I entered the school of hard knocks punking whistles and snapping babit in Feb. 1966. The hell of it is my son and daugter inlaw teach grades 10 11 12 . Anyhow take care Dave Ill look you up next time up your way .

  658. #658Dave Hadden2013-08-30 13:40

    RV park on the Tyee Spit, my name's on the front of my unit. Love to see you. Take care.

  659. #659camptramp2013-09-22 19:32

    Pacific Logging Div. Sooke 1978 Skajit 120 ft. tower with IJ-80 winch . American 599 loader #561 West Jordan area.

  660. #660camptramp2013-09-22 19:57

    Carley Loggings new 7280 Cypree grapple yarder . Chum Carley was the neatest guy we were waiting parked loaded on the Gordon R. M/L waiting for the Low Bed to cross Loup Cr. Chum was waiting with us , he was driving his favorite 1975 yellow Ford crew cab . I was teasing him about his forman always driving new pickups . His reply I'm real comfortable in that one and its only gone through two engines. Lowbed passing through Gordon River camp 1984-85

  661. #661HDX2013-09-22 22:54

    Franklin River Lowbed Carl (Gypsy) Breidenbach was the driver H92 was one of the three P16 "Super Trucks" with the 3412 Cat Engines I think this is the one that went to Washington State as a parts truck for the H93. Heavy Haul outfit down there has them The third one H94 went to Ft McMurray from what I was told

  662. #662Greatwestcam2013-09-22 23:59

    HDX what is the story behind these "super trucks", from what I hear is they had the big power in them and bigger rubber etc, only a few were built. remember Carl Carlson talking about them and one was on a barge that sank with some other equipment in the narrows (not sure if it was a lake or the salt chuck) over on the island there. not a lot said about them, just wonder if you can fill in the blanks. thanks Cam

  663. #663camptramp2013-09-23 10:07

    The above truck is an M&B truck . The super trucks losed off a barge ,off the west coast of Vancover Island were Crown Z trucks . When Crown Z shut down Camp 3 on Lake Cowichan ,that logged in the Nitinat Valley , They hooked up the Nitinat roads to the Naninmo Lakes roads ,to pull the loads over the hieght of land they had 2 super truck with I believe either v12-71's or v12-92 with Hi Low spliter boxs in the drive lines. The crew worked the Nitniat ,Nanimo Lakes area in the summer time and moved up to Kyuquot Sound for winter logging. On the way back one spring in the 1980's the barge got in trouble ,losing the equipment off it . I believe two super trucks along with a lowbed trailer , loader, grapple yarder along with other equipment were on that barge.

  664. #664camptramp2013-09-23 11:36

    A Dale Arden truck being loaded at Carley Logging's Camper Cr. operation early 80's

  665. #665camptramp2013-09-23 11:53

    Bute Inlet spring 1981 O'Conner's Homathko camp Truck is R Stephen's

  666. #666camptramp2013-09-23 22:42

    These two trucks were owned by the same outfit . Loaded down Tr.10 for the Gordon R. M/L the second truck had a run away ,ran into the first truck totalling them both.

  667. #667HDX2013-09-23 22:48

    Greatwestcam Scope out the Crown Zellerbach thread Posting about #62 through 70 I think that tells it about like it was Good to hear from you Cam

  668. #668diamondtguy2013-09-23 23:00

    We heard about a barge that went down when I was at Pacific.It had 2 brand new P-16 Preloaders with four trailers and a bunch of equipment on it.I thought it was MacBlo but maybe it was CZ.The trucks and trailers were sold by the insurance company and the original Company re-ordered the stuff and we built them new trucks and trailers.We also heard the stuff was all salvaged and fired up...Can anyone add to this or confirm ???? As stated there were 3 only 3412 trucks built.Big heavy engine that had to be de-tuned down to 600HP to match the Allisons torque curve.We also did 3 only 12V92T's.Probably worked better with the Allison...I am pretty sure the 12V92's are the ones we made the wide frames for.....I was involved in the assembly of all of these trucks.......Cory

  669. #669camptramp2013-09-23 23:05

    Don't know for sure but I heard the lowbed was salvaged

  670. #670camptramp2013-09-23 23:18

    Canfor 1980 Woss Camp

  671. #671camptramp2013-09-23 23:26

    Canfor Beaver Cove 1980

  672. #672camptramp2013-09-24 10:54

    Timberwest HBO Heli Logging at the old Harris Cr. camp

  673. #673camptramp2013-09-24 23:54

    Crown Z Koakish 1980

  674. #674camptramp2013-09-25 21:23

    Loading trailers Saturday afternoon at Tear Drop Alley Boyes Rd. Duncan B.C. a pole trailers a peice of cake right ?

  675. #675camptramp2013-09-25 21:26

    A Triaxle trailer is a little heavier we'll use two self loaders

  676. #676camptramp2013-09-25 21:29

    That was a little iffy maybe we could use the help from another friend

  677. #677Vigilant2013-09-25 21:55

    I see a W900B and a C5, but what is the truck at the far left? A Challenger?

  678. #678HDX2013-09-25 22:03

    HD Hayes wide rad

  679. #679SPMiller2013-09-25 23:03

    Let's go logging.

  680. #680Vigilant2013-09-25 23:20

    Awesome shot, SP. Thanks.

  681. #681Vigilant2013-09-25 23:22

    Re: HD Hayes wide rad 10-4. Thanks.

  682. #682Hayesno12013-09-26 16:25

    Shop pics from Island Timber in Parksville and LLL near Port McNeill

  683. #683Taylor572013-09-29 12:50

    My Uncle Mal Taylor driving for B. S. & W. in about 1954. Can anyone tell me anything about this company...or the makes of these trucks?

  684. #684HDX2013-09-29 13:56

    In 1951 Bloedel Stewart &Welsh became MacMillan & Bloedel Prentice Bloedel and HR MacMillan amalgamated and that is when things really got going for them. Trucks went from 3 digit numbers to H numbers The 756 was an LM Mack that hauled in Sarita and the Sterling above it was also probably hauling down there Cant make out the number. These trucks were moved around from camp to camp and 756 and a couple other trucks were loaded on a barge and were shipped out of Sarita and sent to another division. M&B's Copper Canyon and Menzies Bay were both converting over from Railroad to truck at this time so 756 could well have gone down to Copper Canyon. When the track was pulled up at Franklin River some of these LM Macks were brought back. A couple came from Sproat Lake Division and H22 came from Copper Canyon. Never been able to find out what her original 3 digit number was

  685. #685HDX2013-09-29 14:06

    Taylor57 Yes it was in Sarita cause Mal drove down there in1950

  686. #686ap40rocktruck2013-09-29 14:11

    Nice, So on the big Sterling, was that a chain drive tandem or shaft drive? The shop fabricated fenders look much more durable than the normal Sterling curved ones. Ap40

  687. #687Taylor572013-09-29 14:18

    Thank-you HDX. That's very interesting that they were the forerunner of MacMillan Bloedel. I don't think I had ever heard of a Sterling before today...nice looking truck. The number on the door is 268.

  688. #688Taylor572013-09-29 14:25

    HDX, So we can date these pics to 1950 and not my guess of 1954?

  689. #689HDX2013-09-29 18:59

    I think you would be safe by saying 1950-51. ap40rocktruck Some had the chain drive and some had the Mack 65,000 lb rears Pacific rebuilt a couple and Hayes rebuilt one for Franklin and then Hayes converted several LM Macks for Sproat Lake Division with special one only reworked cabs Very goofy lookin things but they worked The LM cabs just did not stand up like the Pacific Kenworth or Hayes cabs did. If you go to Hankstruckpictures website go to Jim Falconers Pictures and you will see some pictures of the Macks with the Hay/Mack cabs It will be under his Sproat Lake division pics

  690. #690ap40rocktruck2013-09-29 19:02

    Will do & thanks. Great history, fantastic old rigs. Ap40

  691. #691HDX2013-09-29 19:07

    Taylor57 The Sterlings were neat trucks but due to the fact that they had hardwood insert's in the frame rails and the cabs were just tin tacked into wood frames they tended to come apart. The wet weather also contributed to their demise up here Always wet and the wood rotted . There was still one over the bank up at Menzies Bay that belonged to one of the local truck contractors back in the day (E G) I guess it is long gone to dust now

  692. #692ap40rocktruck2013-09-29 19:20

    HDX, Seems very consistent with Mack trucks in Logging, the cabs just don't hold up, but the drive train sure is tough. Mack rear tandem under all sorts of "other" trucks is popular from coast to coast, regardless of the industry. Ap40

  693. #693diamondtguy2013-09-29 23:34

    My Diamond T cab is built the same way..A wood frame (white oak)and all the tin is just nailed on.Once the nails are loose or the wood goes soft its game over.I screwed mine together with very small S/S screws(all new wood) but its still not comparable to a all steel cab.......Cory

  694. #694Hayesno12013-09-30 17:24

    Taylor57; Oops! Sorry I was a bit to late... LOL.. HDX; thanks for filling in about BS&W.

  695. #695Hayesno12013-09-30 18:16

    Ap40rocktruck; I got a poor copy of a Sterling brochure showing 2 pics of those Sterling trucks delivered to BS&W. From pictures I am pretty sure they were delivered with those fenders. BS&W Sarita got 7 identical Sterling logging trucks. They had chain drive and powered by 275 HP supercharged diesel.

  696. #696camptramp2013-10-02 23:24

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Mid 1980`s Malloch & Moseley truck at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  697. #697camptramp2013-10-10 09:33

    WFI Gordon River Shop 1980 or 81

  698. #698camptramp2013-10-10 23:49

    Salvaging sunken logs off Caycuse with an American 7220 on a barge rigged up for that purpose

  699. #699Born2clearcut2013-10-11 10:27

    Their is a few more pictures of this machine in the BCFP thread page 6 post #90

  700. #700camptramp2013-10-11 10:50

    Born2clearcut The picture was taken when barge was sitting over the old Caycuse wet dump and sorting area , they use to have a couple smaller barges to put logs on then tow them over to the DLS to be unloaded . Then sorted and and mixed with other logs in bundles to take to Youbou mill. The barge moved around Lake Cowichan for a couple years focusing on the old log dumps on the lake . they had some kind of sounder to help find sunken logs.

  701. #701KenAl2013-10-11 16:44

    See post #104 of this thread for more pictures of the machine on the barge.

  702. #702Vigilant2013-10-11 23:21

    Looking at that ancient Northwest shovel in Post #698, would you say they about squeezed the last turd out of her? Fresh paint can only fix so much, eh?

  703. #703camptramp2013-10-12 00:16

    Yea that one is long past prime . That was parked behind the shop at WFI's Gordon River camp . WFI shut down after the strike in 1981, BCFP took over the camp in 1983 . I cann't remember if it was still there in 1983 or not . But she truly is a primium one owner unit. lol

  704. #704camptramp2013-10-14 23:00

    WFI Gordon River camp shuting down fall 1981

  705. #705camptramp2013-10-15 00:13

    BCFP Renfrew Div. HDX Hayes #6-222

  706. #706camptramp2013-10-17 11:25

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Malloch & Moseley 850 Kenworth Bill Spiller in a hurry

  707. #707Dave Hadden2013-10-17 13:42

    Any relation to Joe Spiller?? Joe and I had a meeting of vehicles in a bad spot where I couldn't miss him, loaded and heading east, but I could almost pick where to hit him with my Mazda pickup/canopy combo. I bounced off the front wheels of his trailer and missed his rear stakes by a smidge. The stake took off the marker light on my canopy. I could still drive the Mazda too. We exchanged info and it all worked out in the end although I was always mad that the accident happened where it did because I had remembered there would be a lot of highway trucks hauling to Doman's new mill that day and slowed down.........at Loss Creek. We met on the sharp corner claybank area not far west of there which I would have been safely past had I maintained my normal speed. The road was banked there and I came around the corner on the low side which is where his trailer had tracked as he cut the corner. Still digging all your stuff Camptramp. Thanks muchly. Take care.

  708. #708camptramp2013-10-17 16:07

    Yea Surfer Bill is Joes older brother ,seems theres always more close calls and crunchs when highway trucks are on a haul ,I guess their just in a bigger hurry.

  709. #709DonBC2013-10-20 15:38

    A friend of mine who retired from the logging industry several years ago has a strong interest in the history of the use of steam locomotives and the railroads used in the development of logging on Vancouver Island. He has been asked to give a talk on the subject and is looking for more stories and pictures from that era to add to his material. I have tried to do a search to see if there is a thread already started on this subject but there doesn't seem to be. If there is some response from my request I may start a new thread for him. He is not that comfortable with computer use. If you have any storeys or pictures please let me know. Thanks.

  710. #710camptramp2013-10-29 00:35

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Malloch & Moseley 850 Kenworth on Gordon R. M/L

  711. #711camptramp2013-10-29 00:38

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Malloch & Moseley #145 an 850 Kenworth entering Honeymoon Bay DLS

  712. #712camptramp2013-10-29 23:42

    Timberwest HBO #40-96 P16 Pacific log truck #56-32 Cypress log loader loading Heli wood at the site of the old Harris Cr. camp

  713. #713camptramp2013-10-29 23:59

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Malloch & Moseley 850 Kenworth On the Gordon River M/L ( Which was built for log trucks with narrower bunks than trucks shown) there is a rock cut between Tr4 and Tr6 on the face of the rock cut ,a rock sticks out . We all miss it by a foot or so , when the road is rough your dodging pot holes its easy to forget that rock is there. Looks like this truck got to close and touched it with his right stake . He had to sneek back to Gordon R. camp to get his trailer reloaded.

  714. #714camptramp2013-11-01 00:45

    I was running the 561 an American 599 log loader for Pacific logging in 1978-79 we were working in the North San Juan area . A fellow by the name of Steve Snyder was driving the Green Bean . Terex's don't have much for brakes so you depend on the truck's retarter and trailer brakes . On e morning Steve found himself up a bit of a hill loaded when he applied the trailer brakes they didn't hold he got it stopped . After giving things a checking over he disscovered he had grease on the trailer brake linings ,seems they had someone new in the grease shop and had over greased his brake bushings . They snubbed the Green Bean off the hill with a Cat . Once on his way down the M/L Larry Jay asked Steve over the radio what would happened when he got to camp ,Steves responce was that grease monkey better be wearing running shoes . I know Steve and if I was that grease monkey I would make my self scarce until Steve calmed down. lol

  715. #715trux2013-11-02 11:07

    not a bad lifestyle in my opinion anyways

  716. #716trux2013-11-02 11:11

    dy-39 loading under super snorkel

  717. #717trux2013-11-02 11:25

    Dy-39 loading beside gy on west coast of island

  718. #718trux2013-11-02 11:30

    DY-39 IS EX MARS UNIT A-12. REBUILT WITH ISX565,NEW 6 SPEED ELECTRIC SHIFT TRANNY,NEW FRONT END,NEW 121's rear ends. truck went right to work after rebuild.no time for paint job. has been given nickname of mad max due to varios colors. still beautiful to me anyways

  719. #7190752013-11-02 11:34

    Mahatta?

  720. #720trux2013-11-02 11:47

    picture of 5th wheel is eve river along with snorkel

  721. #721trux2013-11-02 11:51

    dy-37 in first snowfall of year

  722. #722trux2013-11-02 11:53

    gy pic is back end of the handy over looking port alberni inlet

  723. #723trux2013-11-02 12:10

    snorkle is ex friel lake logging now newcastle timber's

  724. #724camptramp2013-11-02 23:47

    Timberwest HBO #40-96 P16 Pacific log truck #54-54 American log loader , loading Heli wood at old Harris Cr. camp

  725. #725camptramp2013-11-05 00:21

    Timberwest HBO #40-96 P16 Pacific preloader loading Heli wood at the old Harris Cr. camp

  726. #726camptramp2013-11-05 00:33

    Timberwest HBO Art Nickerson standing in front of #40-139 P16 Pacific

  727. #727Hayesno12013-11-05 14:36

    Pacific P16 ABF uit #40-91 with lowbed - Honeymoon Bay

  728. #728Hayesno12013-11-05 14:47

    Pacific P16 IPL #H14 makes a stop Franklin Camp B. Driver is Al Cooper. Summer 2012

  729. #729Hayesno12013-11-05 15:42

    IPL trucks meets at Franklin Camp B. Hayes HDX preloader #H17 anf Pacific P16 #H14. Drivers; Steve(HDX) and Al(P16)

  730. #730Hayesno12013-11-06 14:28

    2 Pacific P16. IPL #H14 with lowbed and #H157 as pushing truck

  731. #731Hayesno12013-11-06 14:40

    Western Star HW truck #H117 dumping it's load with help from a huge Wagner

  732. #732camptramp2013-11-06 23:22

    Timberwest HBO #40-131 P16 Pacific with a load of logs from the old Harris Cr. camp Heli landing Jack Cotterill at the wheel

  733. #733camptramp2013-11-06 23:24

    Timberwest HBO An off highway P16 Pacicfic getting dumped at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  734. #734camptramp2013-11-07 00:22

    Timberwest HBO Lake Cowichan trucker Dale Weaver's Mack was leased to Timberwest. Loading up McKay Cr.

  735. #735camptramp2013-11-08 00:18

    Timberwest HBO a view from the passengers seat 40-91 P16 Pacific 40-138 on the Harris Cr. Main Line.

  736. #736camptramp2013-11-08 00:37

    Timberwest HBO Loaded through the seventeen mile rock cut on the Harris Cr. Main Line from the cab of a P16 Pacific log truck.

  737. #737Vigilant2013-11-08 16:50

    That trout stream is what I'm talkin' 'bout. Trout fishing is one of the things I miss the most about the PNW.

  738. #738camptramp2013-11-08 22:15

    RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 Yarders and Grapple Yarders

  739. #739camptramp2013-11-08 22:20

    RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 Loaders

  740. #740camptramp2013-11-08 22:30

    RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 well used lowbed

  741. #741SPIKE7972013-11-09 16:21

    Timberwest HBO Skajit Longline Tower , Skycar with turn of logs in the air ,Chapman loader working on landing , Bowman S kycar on ground.

  742. #742Knocker of rock2013-11-09 16:24

    What's with you guys, and your inability to spell SKAGIT?

  743. #743SPIKE7972013-11-09 16:32

    Timberwest HBO #56-36 new Kobellco Hoe Chucker Mike green and the Happy Hoe Chucker Bruce Wilson

  744. #744SPIKE7972013-11-09 17:16

    Timberwest Mike and Pam Green standing beside new Madill 124 Grapple Yarder assembeled at Masachie Lake B.C.

  745. #745SPIKE7972013-11-09 17:22

    Timberwest Masachie Lake looking at a grapple yarder from the tail blocks

  746. #746skadill2013-11-09 22:36

    H.B.O. Woodchucker it's still alive and well.machine from post 744 above.

  747. #747camptramp2013-11-09 23:03

    Still looks in good shape when Bruce Wilson ran it ,it hardly had a mark on the mural on the counter wieght , I use to get scared for him just watching him go some of the places he took it

  748. #748camptramp2013-11-10 00:39

    Timberwest HBO #40-96 P16 Pacific loading at the old Harris Cr. Heli landing

  749. #749camptramp2013-11-11 23:54

    Timberwest HBO #41-119 2001 Western Star

  750. #750camptramp2013-11-12 00:31

    Timberwest HBO #40-96 P16 Pacific loading Heli wood at old Harris Cr. camp

  751. #751camptramp2013-11-12 00:40

    Timberwest HBO Air Crane flying logs into old Harris Cr. Heli show.

  752. #752SPMiller2013-11-12 12:55

    There are photos of this floating around, it went through ritchies a couple years back. Here it is on one of it's last job. Unsure where it is now.

  753. #753camptramp2013-11-14 23:19

    IPL HBO #40-139 P16 Pacific my last off highway load on Sarita M/L and Sarita DLS

  754. #7540752013-11-16 00:47

    Whats up with the load in middle pic ? lose a fight with the loader op ? really trailer heavy, all though it looks like mostly Cedar ,some of those puppies look to be 60 feet or better

  755. #755camptramp2013-11-16 10:15

    No 075 its a clean up load , it was 2 small loads or get evey thing you can on it, a lot of it is spliced . Last load from that setting last load fot me on an off highway truck . A few moves with the off highway lowbed and I was sentenced to steady ice cream wagons .

  756. #7560752013-11-16 20:09

    You do end up with some goofy clean up loads at times . I like it best when they leave you short, and put all 41 footers on you and give you a push to get you out of the landing lol.

  757. #757camptramp2013-11-16 23:54

    I use to run loader , now I shutter at some of the loads I put out before I knew better its a good thing the trucks didn't haul big loads lol.

  758. #7580752013-11-17 00:22

    My rule now is when I load, is put nothing on the truck that I would not haul myself. And if the driver finds something he dose not like about the load, I will unload it and make it the way he likes it. Pulled one dead driver out of his crushed cab and swore that I would never be the cause of an accident. He was from down your way camptramp if you ever want to know his name pm me and I will tell you.

  759. #759camptramp2013-11-17 01:31

    )075 I'm pretty sure I know about it , I'll PM you with a little back ground that you'll find interesting I wasn't there and you never know what went wrong unless you were in the drivers seat ! Just for the record when I ran loader the policy was haft a log above the stakes and round it off we didn't even use cinches , but with a short boom it was hard to get the wieght forward.

  760. #7600752013-11-17 12:54

    I spent Thurs and Fri loading highway(chip and saw) and off road (export) with 120 feet of snorkel had no trouble at all getting the wood up front lol

  761. #761HDX2013-11-17 13:24

    Hey you guys I always tell the loader operator when I load under him for the first time DONT PUT ON ANY MORE THAN YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE OFF!!!!!

  762. #762HDX2013-11-17 14:03

    I thought this would be the thread to run this one up the pole on because it includes all of us but what do you guys think about talking to the moderator of this site and see about getting T Shirts made maybe in the new year Just a thought!!! Maybe even a decal or something to identify your car or truck. Maybe a separate thread Lets kick it around. I don't want to hijack this thread so if somebody wants we could start a new one OK

  763. #76369hayes2013-11-19 16:43

    My Uncle John Carpendale had these pics, some said Port Alice on them but not sure of all of them,he was a High Rigger in the 40s

  764. #76469hayes2013-11-19 16:48

    And a few more

  765. #76569hayes2013-11-19 16:51

    Last one

  766. #76672hayes2013-11-19 20:19

    great photos Rodger! any idea what make of truck on the pole road? Doug

  767. #7670752013-11-19 22:17

    If it is Port Alice, aka Spry Camp it would be a White. There is whats left of one in a block we did last year. We are now logging a block lower down the hill from that and the old plank road runs through it. Not much left of it now but a bunch of rotten logs and old cable and staples and the odd drift. Neat pictures keep them coming!

  768. #76869hayes2013-11-19 23:41

    Doug, I tried to magnify it with no luck, but one thing for sure, you had to have a set to bring these trucks down the road.

  769. #76969hayes2013-11-20 13:53

    That would be pretty neat if it was the same truck 075

  770. #7700752013-11-20 22:09

    Heres a look see if you can tell. At the end of the spur in the first picture is the top of a Spar

  771. #771camptramp2013-11-24 23:40

    tw Timberwest HBO ex BCFP #27-25 Madill 044 grapple yarder leaves divison by way of Coleman Dump mechanic operator Dennis Lamount lowbed #40-140 P16 Pacific driver Tom Worth push truck #40-130 P16 Pacific driver John Bell

  772. #772camptramp2013-11-24 23:43

    tw Timberwest HBO ex BCFP #27-25 Madill grapple yarder leaving divison by way of Coleman Dump

  773. #773camptramp2013-11-25 10:45

    tw Timberwest HBO Reconditioned Cypress 7230 leaving the Gordon R. shop

  774. #774HDX2013-11-25 21:39

    camptramp That was Sarita dump. At one time in the winter there was 100 big truck loads a day going over that browlog!!! you would pull up to a banding station and pull your cinch lines off while pulling the two banding wire's over. The dump helper (Matthew ??) would crimp the bands and then you would pull ahead to the log dump L04 (John Harris) and dump the load then pull ahead and they had a 500 American log loader there just loading trailers (Jeff Park) Shame to see that live boom "A" Frame dismantled and hauled away. I heard it ended up up at Menzies Bay Division

  775. #775camptramp2013-11-25 22:15

    Thanks HDX I never got over that way until the the mid 2000's , but heard the guys that did get over there talking about Coleman dump and thought thats where they dropped all the Equipement to catch the barge.

  776. #776HDX2013-11-25 22:39

    Coleman dump was where all the Crown Z stuff was barged out of heading for Kyuquot in the late fall. And then brought back in the spring. Very deep water at Coleman as Sarita was depending on tides all the time. I saw the new tug, The Jervis Crown for the first time there. Man what a beautiful tug she was!!! Also lots of traffic around Coleman. Crown Z drivers Ian Brown and a couple others Bill Brown Al Johnson were usually hauling the stuff on the lowbeds. I will scan some of the Crown stuff down at the Coleman when time permits

  777. #7770752013-11-25 22:43

    That must have been a real hoot to put that rolly polly thing on the lowbed.

  778. #778jackd2013-11-26 00:41

    I never saw any rubber tired machines on the low bed at Sproat Lake. They always drove them to where they were going. Must have been quite the sight driving up the rear ramps. I still remember one night when we unloaded the Y-35 (Madill 044) - after leaving the Ash River area and taking all day to get down to the winter show in Nahmint on the low bed. We unloaded it in the dark onto a crappy ramp they had built. We had no lights and the hooker and I stood at each side of the rear ramps, with flashlights to guide the operator. It was pitch black out and I don't know why we even tried it. It was quite the sight as he came over the rear axles of the low bed, with the gantry swaying back and forth up there in the dark. I wonder whose knees were shaking more - mine or the operator's.

  779. #779camptramp2013-11-27 10:26

    tw Timberwest HBO Moving John Deere excavater across Gordon River to build bridge for Edinburgh M/L with 009 Madill steel tower and Hayes HDX line horse . Forman Rigger Dave Thampson Charge Hand Stu Smith Yarder operator Bruce Black Line Horse operator Tom Worth Excavater operator Jim Edwardson Pat Kinny

  780. #780camptramp2013-11-27 10:29

    tw Timberwest more Edinburgh crossing

  781. #781camptramp2013-11-27 10:32

    tw Timberwest HBO more Edinburgh bidge crossing

  782. #782Knocker of rock2013-11-27 10:43

    Wow, that took some thinking.

  783. #783camptramp2013-11-27 11:06

    You can't see it but theres a deep gorge of a canyon in the timber ,I wish I had a picture of the finished bridge , it was a major accomplishment to build and an impressive bridge to cross.

  784. #784Sprengstoff2013-11-27 20:26

    is the the one that is just off gordon main? That's my favourite rock dropping bridge.

  785. #785camptramp2013-11-27 22:53

    Yes its not far from the old Renfrew camp on the Gordon R. M/L ,just before Bugabo Cr. Its the only crossing of Gordon River after the Braden Cr. junction , until Tr.11

  786. #786dirty4fun2013-11-28 06:12

    Seeing that excavator picked up and being sent across like that is truly amazing. Guess when you get the right people around, they can engineer just about anything. Not sure of the size excavator but had no idea that they could pick up a load like that. Must of had some good brakes to hold it back going down hill like that. Just can't get enough of the pictures you people have been so good to share. Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving Day!

  787. #787camptramp2013-11-28 09:52

    The crew that rigged the system up are the product of mentors like riggers Fred Mcmurray Jack Messer Morris Trembly Bob Robertson Blondie Moxness Blain Hanna . If you look at the rigging ,they used two skylines and a block purchase on a spreader log to raise it . Everthing is a little over built to ensure nothing fails ,these guys take a challenge like this and just do it . Unfortunetly most of these fellows have left the industry ,and along with them goes their skills and work ethics .

  788. #788Sigurd2013-11-28 18:36

    Camptramp What size of excavator could this be, 25-30 tons? I notice they have blocks in front and rear of undercarriage,did they use the haulback on the front block, and what about the rear one? Which drum did this rope go to.. Thanks for pics and stories Sigurd

  789. #789camptramp2013-11-28 22:18

    I really don't know that much about excavators so I would only be guessing at the weight. The straps or slings that cratle the machine pass between the inner tracks and the track rails ,the 10x12 in. timbers would prevent the cable from cutting its self on the medal edge of the track rail the track rollers would keep the straps properly spaced .The two skylines are spread apart to lift the excavator without damaging the top or sides .The yarder mainline has heal blocks attached to a bridle that is attached to the spreader log to raise the sky lines. The haulback off the yarder has a block purchase hooked to the excavator to snub it down the hill and the winch on the line horse is being used with a block purchase to pull it in to position on the far side of canyon.

  790. #790camptramp2013-11-29 00:42

    tw Timberwest HBO lowbeds #139 and #140 P16 Pacific's moving Wagner log stackers out of Honeymoon Bay DLS after it closed down in early 2000's and Div. switch from off highway log trucks to highway log trucks.

  791. #791camptramp2013-11-29 00:45

    continued

  792. #792spitzair2013-11-29 14:56

    From the pictures it looks like a 590D to me, so that would be about 15 tons... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here please...

  793. #793Sigurd2013-11-29 15:11

    Thanks Camptramp and Spitzair for comments

  794. #794loggers son2013-11-29 15:15
  795. #795caycusion2013-11-29 23:10

    Ipl HBO.....horribles loader has that sinking feeling https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/196005_1004697635888_4349_n.jpg

  796. #796caycusion2013-11-29 23:14

    why can't I just copy and paste from face book and have the picture show up instead of a link?

  797. #797camptramp2013-11-29 23:21

    I guess we'll have to change his nick name from "Horrible" to "The Mortician" . He never was one to mess around it was all or nothing.

  798. #798caycusion2013-11-29 23:30

    here's your logging the bottom of the lake machine getting up close and personal with the logs. https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/199853_1004697555886_3439_n.jpg

  799. #799caycusion2013-11-29 23:33

    I've got assloads more but not til I figure out this pic posting deal.

  800. #800camptramp2013-11-29 23:44

    I know the feeling ,when the frustrstion level just about peaked ,I got hold of Chris the Chemainus Computer Doctor ,not free but I'm posting pictures PM me for phone number if your in Cowichan area. We really enjoy new pictures welcome to the sight, looks like you've got some great pictures ,can't wait to see them.

  801. #801caycusion2013-11-29 23:58

    ok maybe one more.....bill Williams with a nice load of fir....granite 0100 https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/207779_1006792168250_3003_n.jpg..every other site I am on it's just copy paste...what do I need to do here people????

  802. #802caycusion2013-11-30 00:01

    sorry this is ****ed up

  803. #803Knocker of rock2013-11-30 00:07

    Are you using the "insert image" icon in the second row of headers above the text box? Alternately, you can copy it to your computer, then "attach" it to your text

  804. #804caycusion2013-11-30 00:19

    promised 1 more...i'll get the boss to figure out this picture thing ...see if this works https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/205069_1024013438771_9901_n.jpg

  805. #805caycusion2013-11-30 00:31

    the horse up 0100 changing roads on the longline https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/228371_1038643964525_3378_n.jpg

  806. #806Knocker of rock2013-11-30 00:32

    I did this to one of your photographs by copying the image address, and then pasting it onto the "insert image" "from url" tab

  807. #807camptramp2013-11-30 00:40

    tw Timberwest HBO VIH's logging heicopter

  808. #808camptramp2013-11-30 00:43

    tw Timberwest HBO Canadian Air Crane's logging helicopter

  809. #809caycusion2013-11-30 00:49

    bill Williams doing under carriage inspection

  810. #810caycusion2013-11-30 00:51

    second pic...caycuse gravel pit.

  811. #811caycusion2013-11-30 00:55

    not a sight a green chaser wanted to see in the morning.

  812. #812caycusion2013-11-30 01:01

    Timberwest HBO...Lacey crk.B.C.110 ft. skagit slackline doing a little high leading.

  813. #813caycusion2013-11-30 01:04

    Is contract logger going to get mad at me if I post up some of the pictures he posted up that are actually mine?

  814. #814caycusion2013-11-30 01:07

    horrible and the sky car...longlining hemmingsen.late 1990's...timberwest hbo.

  815. #815caycusion2013-11-30 01:20

    This ones for you willy...boman sky car pulling 7ft+ fir timberwest HBO...7100ft of skyline out.

  816. #816caycusion2013-11-30 01:26

    don't think for a moment that he took all those pics he's posting.

  817. #817caycusion2013-11-30 01:29

    i'd love to know when contract logger snapped that first pic....tell me all about it.

  818. #818caycusion2013-11-30 01:48

    shorty...

  819. #819caycusion2013-11-30 02:29

    timberwest HBO Sort

  820. #820dirty4fun2013-11-30 04:52

    More great pictures you said that here is 7100 feet of skyline out in the one. Any idea of what size cable they are using, and is that in a straight line or doubled up? A 1 1/3 miles is a lot of cable to a guy that lives in the midwest that doesn't know much but is learning how all this works. At that distance do you always use a sky car? All this is so very interesting to me, thanks for sharing so many pictures.

  821. #821Redwood Climber2013-11-30 09:19

    7100 Feet, That's Longspan for Sure Welcome to the forum Mr Caycusion, we love your pictures, and I personally love your fight to post them here. Some of us are not the sharpest when it comes to computers, I spent a long time trying to figure it out. Tell us more about the 7100 ft longspan job. What year was this? What model of Skagit yarder? BU 98 or BU 99 ring a bell? Possibly BU 199? 1 & 3/8" or 1 & 1/2" skyline? I can't tell from the pic of the cab and tower. There are people on here who are totally obsessed with the big Skagits, and big yarders period....small yarders....ALL yarders period. Do you have the serial number of the yarder and tower? Did you work on it? Feel free to add more info on your pictures, some on here have the gift of gab....we enjoy the stories. Don't fret too much about Contract Logger posting your pictures, he has gathered pictures (and taken thousands himself) about logging since he was a small boy. He has shared other's and offers his to share to anyone. We really appreciate all that he and everyone on here has posted. We really enjoy yours too. Thanks again for posting and again welcome. Good luck on posting the pictures!

  822. #822caycusion2013-11-30 11:35

    Not really the response I was looking for....I didn't know people cared that much....we had 3 longlines in the late 90's early 00's..all skagit two 110ft and one 120ft. 1 3/8 power pack.....had them all on one setting at one point with 7000 ft out.i'll throw up some more pics...heres the horse changing roads.

  823. #823caycusion2013-11-30 11:43

    Yarder on top of granite....all the wood was shotgunned down to the bottom of the valley....the operator logged there for a year and never once saw a log.just sat up there in the fog and listened to the whistles.

  824. #824caycusion2013-11-30 11:48

    yeah I worked on them...this one braden 100

  825. #825caycusion2013-11-30 11:51

    we had 2 self propelled and 1 fifth wheel.

  826. #826caycusion2013-11-30 12:26

    why do want a serial number? did someone steal your yarder?

  827. #827Knocker of rock2013-11-30 12:32

    I don't think its anything so dramatic. Probably trying to figure out if he knows that machine somehow

  828. #828caycusion2013-11-30 15:05

    our biggest tower...bruce black at the helm.....jug kalar on loader....granite crk...b.c....7000ft of cable out.

  829. #829camptramp2013-11-30 19:32

    Great pictures ,the push off system in the back ground to dump the off highway log trucks ,used a nother stacker on this side to hold the load together ,and let the load slide off truck with minimal breakage to the logs. When I was hauling longline logs from Horrible in Hemmingston Cr. he use to pile the logs on me and the DLS crew were scared to dump me. He use to catch hell every couple of weeks for putting to big of loads on the off highway trucks.

  830. #830caycusion2013-11-30 21:43

    my old buddy bill Williams with a nice load of longline wood on don orza's truck.

  831. #831caycusion2013-11-30 21:48

    jerry van beers loading firs with the aid of the boman.

  832. #832caycusion2013-11-30 21:55

    walter cooke and bill goranson with a nice fir load.

  833. #833Redwood Climber2013-11-30 22:02

    No Missing Yarder No Sir Mr. Caycusion, I did not have a yarder stolen, I gave up working on big towers January 20, 1991, and I can say that I have never gotten over missing them and the challenge they pose. There are many people on this forum that wish to keep track of these machines. They ask questions like "what year was it first sold?" or "Who bought the machine, where was it delivered?" "Who owns it now?" Hence the request for serial number. Many of these machines look alike, the serial number identifies it as a specific machine. There is a love of the old iron much like people who love classic cars, or horses, or airplanes or any of a hundred other things that we cherish. Any and all info on these machines is appreciated. Thank you that you were smart enough to take a camera to work with you, I was not and I kick myself daily for it. Like you I got to see and do some amazing stuff that most people cannot even imagine. Thank you again and keep on posting those pictures, we love'm.

  834. #834caycusion2013-11-30 22:07

    you nailed it...when i started everyone in camp was old and the all said the same 2 things to me.....they said i wish i had taken more pictures and they said i wish i hadn't sold that car, so i took their advice....i kept a disposable camera in a ziplock in my hardhat.

  835. #835caycusion2013-11-30 22:10

    chasing on the longline...braden 100 CHECK OUT THE HANG-ME-DOWN FOR THE HAULBACK ON THE GUYLINE

  836. #836Redwood Climber2013-11-30 22:11

    The trailer mounted Skagit on post #826 looks to be a BU 739?

  837. #837caycusion2013-12-01 00:24

    big fir out Renfrew way....11ft fir....pic is of second cut...they flew chokers in for the fallers so they could choke it before they bucked it. saved us digging holes....had to block purchase the tong line to pick up a 4.2 meter log.spent most of the day on that 1 tree.

  838. #838caycusion2013-12-01 00:31

    chaser hairball Johnson on load of fir

  839. #839caycusion2013-12-01 00:33
  840. #840caycusion2013-12-01 00:47

    safety has been in the toilet lately

  841. #841Born2clearcut2013-12-01 11:36

    Couple other safety banners from Port Renfrew 1959 . I think somebody should of gave the builder of the platform a few tips

  842. #84269hayes2013-12-01 13:49

    Looks like the platform was one of the biggest safety concerns

  843. #843caycusion2013-12-01 22:17
  844. #844camptramp2013-12-02 01:09

    When I first started working in the woods Feb. 1966 it was a time of change . When we got to the landing ,we put our calk boots and rain gear on, grabbed our lunch kits and headed out of the landing to be up on the side hill and be ready, when the yarding engineer blew to send back the rigging. Starting time was 8:00 AM lunch was 12:00 to 12:30 quitting time was 4:30 . You walked out of the landing to where the logs were on your own time. Ate your lunch on the side hill and walked off the hill on your own time. By April starting time was 7:45 Am we were out of the "Crummy" by 7:45 and walked out of the landing on company time lunch was 11:45 to 12:15 we were given time to walk into the landing for lunch on days the weather was nasty, and we were given time to walk off the hill to be in the landing at 4:15 quiting time. Also padding was added to the plank seats in the old cattle car "Crummies". I can recall statements from some of the older workers from the 30's ,40's and 50's with a negative attitude, like" safety first , but your life comes second" and " it was cheaper to kill a man than to cripple him". From the mid 1950's to the early 2000's there were many workers who put in a lot of after work time to change that attitude and make the logging industry a safe place to work . I just hope that during the forest industries present race to the bottom , the working conditions and safe practise's aren't lost, that those fellas worked so hard for.

  845. #845TorkelH2013-12-02 04:55

    Camptramp - I agree with your concerns that slow forest industry economy may jeopardize with well established safety practices, let's just hope that isn't true. Thank you very much for all your stories and pictures - please keep on!

  846. #846TorkelH2013-12-02 05:17

    Hello Caycusion, thank you for all your pictures! Pls keep on! Redwood Logger, myself and lots of people here are interested in logging history, some of us are more than normal interested in machines. We have tried to track some of the big Skagits built in the seventies, especially the BU199's. That's why it comes up weird questions like yarder serial number... Just bear over with us. And - one of the BU199's started up early seventies in Northern California, later went to Oregon and ended up at Timberwest on Vancouver Island. Yarder in post #829 may be a BU199. Is it the same machine as in the picture above? In that case it had a sliding cab. The lower small front window and left hand cab was so far as I have found out only on the two last built BU199's but on a bunch of BU739's. Thank you.

  847. #847camptramp2013-12-02 09:51

    TorkelH I didn't have much to do with the long line Skagit yarders other than hauling from them ,but the first Skagit to arrive at Timberwest HBO ,I'm sure it was a 120 ft. self propelled,purchased and shipped from New Zealand.

  848. #848Knocker of rock2013-12-02 10:52

    I read an article and looked at the accompanying stats. In the mid sixties, about one worker a week each was being killed on the job for the construction, commercial fishing and logging industries in Washington state. Between those industries disappearing and/or drying up, and more than four decades of trying to improve worker safety, those numbers are very different. People may have looked at worker safety differently in 1966 than they do now. There may have been some inevitability to things twenty years after WWII during a time when America was losing 20 to 60 young men a day in Vietnam.

  849. #849camptramp2013-12-02 12:53

    tw When I first scanned these pictures I thought they were BCFP ,but the Fletcher Challenge decal on Don Green's hard hat tells me it was FCC . Its a winter scene and I'm not sure if the crew is moving into or out of an area . A good picture of a Cat set up as a mobile back spar for a grapple yarder , used before excavators were rigged up as mobile grapple yarder tail holds . When they first started setting up excavators for use with grapple yarders , an operator from up island was recruted to train Bill Howie on how to run the machine and get around the settings .Bill had hooked on short yarders ,steel towers and grapple yarders , in general a very handy guy to have around . In fact he got so good on the excavator, it became his job to rough in the hoe trails to the grapple yarder settings and move the excavators in and out of the riskier areas . As the trend to moth ball the steel towers and replace them with grapple yarders the need for another hoe operator was filled by a fellow we called Slap Shot , who had broke in on the grade using an excavatr to build roads. One day the woods forman Reg Beal had Slap Shot up on Hemmingston Cr. showing him where he wanted him to take the excavator down a ridge and split a setting in haft for the grapple yarder hook tender. Slap Shot had another look and said no way it could be done . Reg told him not to worry about it he would get Bill Howie to do it . Slap Shot had another look and stated that if Bill could do it ,he was on better drugs than he was . Bill didn't do drugs but he built the hoe trail.

  850. #850caycusion2013-12-02 21:29

    this is not the same one as #829....this one is our fifth wheel one...the one in post #829 was our last one to show up and it was also our biggest it came from Alaska and if I remember right it would hold 4200ft of 1 3/8 power pack and the rest was stubs for our longer settings.it had strawline drums on both sides of the yarder.

  851. #851caycusion2013-12-02 21:32

    844,826,840,812,813,824....all the same yarder...I found some more that I never scanned...will try to get around to it.

  852. #852Redwood Climber2013-12-02 22:43

    Sounds Like a BU199... Thank you Mr. Caycusion, for the description of the yarder in post #829. If it had strawline drums on both sides of the machine then it was most likely a BU199. I believe the 199 was the only yarder Skagit built with two strawline drums. The drum on the left side of the machine was the strawline drum and the drum on the right side was the utility drum. If it was mounted on a trailer it was not any of the California machines, they were all mounted on the self propelled HD110. Both machines that ARCO,( later Simpson), and the Louisiana Pacific machine were set up that way. However, if it did come from Alaska, the LP machine was sold to Mike Graves who logged in Alaska with it, but I had heard it then sold into a rock pit in Canada. Who knows? Maybe the rock pit sold it back into the timber industry. I have spoken to a fellow who was the rigging slinger on LP's machine, he has pictures, so I may be borrowing them to post! Going back and forth looking at post # 829 and the picture Mr. Rusty Grapple has of the Mike Graves machine it looks very similar. The walkway and ramps on the back of post #829 looks as though it would tie in with the Mike Graves machine. Mr. Caycusion, can you tell us how old these pics are? Is the machine still operating? What part of BC. is it in? Hopefully we don't drive you bonkers with our questions! Thank you Sir! Keep them photo's coming Please!

  853. #853caycusion2013-12-02 23:10

    829 came straight from Alaska to timberwest.and was self propelled....and the cab was on the opposite side from 844

  854. #854Redwood Climber2013-12-02 23:25

    That sounds right, the LP- Mike Graves machine was on the opposite, (or right) side of the machine. The rigging slinger I spoke to said he was pretty sure it was the first BU 199 that Skagit built. He also said that they pulled it over once, they were having problems with the poured knobs on their guy lines. He said it took a bit for them to get it straight so they went to 10 guy lines. I'm not sure how they attached them at the tower (they only had 8 guy line drums), or how they tightened and anchored them, I'll be talking to him some more.

  855. #855TorkelH2013-12-03 02:36

    Thank you Mr Caycusion and Mr Redwood! From the other pictures I'm pretty sure the fifth wheel is a BU739 (also likely with the modern cab design) and the machine in #844 is the first built alias Mike Graves and Louisianna Pacific. If I not remember wrong it was sold at a Chemainus auction in 2004: The BU739 beside may be the other self propelled Timber West. The most likely rumors I heard is that these yarder ended up in gravel pits in interior BC or Alberta. And then Mr camptramp also mension a TW long line coming in from NZ, may that have been the BU739 in the auction pictures? The really strange thing about those 13 BU199's is that it seems like the prod #1 LP - MG - TW is the only one showing up in pictures...

  856. #856camptramp2013-12-03 10:26

    TorkelH I was working in ex Renfrew Div./Timberwest HBO through the transition from BCFP -FCC - Timberwest it was a very turbulent time down sizing from overcutting of quotas in the 1970's 80's loss of land base for parks .A roller coaster ride of ups and downs from the mid 1980's to date last peaked in 2001 and has been on a long down hill run since then . For some of us it was a case of emploment survival ,looking back some of my smarter friend got out . A lot happened during that time period it seemed one event ran into the next. The long line yarders began arriving after we became Timberwest in the early 1990's . The first one came from New Zealand self propeled ,the second self propeled the third a trailer mount , at the same time the Naniamo Lakes Div. of TW got a self propeled long line tower they were all Skagits . By 2000 the long line program was winding down . Timberwest had new people in control of the company and we were off in another direction . After Timberwest sold off TFL 46 to Teal Jones in 2004 then contracted out their private lands shortly after that ,the long line yarders were surplus equipment and went to the first auction at Chemainus. I remember driving passed a scrap yard at Cassidy an seeing blue and white pieces of steel off Skagit yarders in their yard so at lest one got cut up ,if it was from TW I suspect it was the one from Naniamo Lakes .

  857. #857caycusion2013-12-03 21:22

    HBO'S big one from Alaska got cut up.it sat at the sort for a while and now it is your beer can.

  858. #858caycusion2013-12-03 21:24

    all those pictured at the auction are naniamo lakes yarders

  859. #859caycusion2013-12-03 22:51

    HBO'S 51-56 from alaska

  860. #860caycusion2013-12-03 22:53

    51-56

  861. #861caycusion2013-12-03 22:55

    51-56.

  862. #862camptramp2013-12-04 00:17

    tw Timberwest HBO A longline Skagit yarder being moved by #40-139 P16 Pacific driver Art Nickerson

  863. #863camptramp2013-12-04 00:20

    tw Timberwest HBO a Skagit Longline tower early in morning

  864. #864camptramp2013-12-04 00:25

    tw Timberwest HBO Tom Worth and John Elliot delivering Boman Skycar to longline site.

  865. #865Born2clearcut2013-12-04 09:34

    Skagit yarder #51-55 I don't know my skagits so I have no idea what size this machine is , but i'm sure someone here knows . picture#3 The arrow shows where the tower is sitting in landing . Top of spur-10 setting going down towards Hemmingsen north fork. Buldoc to the left picture #4 From landing on spur -10 looking down at skyline tailhold (arrow points to tailhold ) Hemmingsen north fork

  866. #866Born2clearcut2013-12-04 09:52

    Picture 1 - Bomen motorized tong line sky car it has a 6cylinder air cooled Deutsch motor . Could be same one as posted earlier in this thread. Picture2 - This is a picture of the sky-car logging a finger ( see picture 3 - logging left finger down in the valley ) Picture 3 - #1 arrow points a Skagit Tower at the end of Granite creek 3000 . Bottom of the setting is Hemmingsen Creek valley . #2 arrow point at the back end of setting at Reid Creek Picture 4 - Looking out from the landing

  867. #867Redwood Climber2013-12-04 19:05

    Nice Pictures Thanks Mr. Born2clearcut.. those are some nice pictures of a BU 739 trailer mount. It is a nice compact unit. It looks like it is just out of the paint booth. It has a raised tower cradle for moving with a truck or cat. It has eight guy lines, I'm not sure but it looks to be a 100' tower, correct me if that's wrong. It does have six air dogs on the tower. There sure is a lot of guarding around the guy line controls, it looks like they would be hard to get to. Nice machine, thanks for sharing. How far were they stretched out on this setting? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but she looks way long. Thanks again.

  868. #868caycusion2013-12-04 21:14

    The 51-55 logged the 3 fingers setting from the top of granite,roger Atchison was running it. The 51-54 was our first machine it was the one on spur 10 with wes mckechnie running it. the 51-55 was out 7100ft.

  869. #869caycusion2013-12-04 21:26

    51-55 standing.in the same landing as born to clearcuts pics

  870. #870camptramp2013-12-05 23:51

    tw Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. #40-139 parked in front of loaded preloader trailers at trailer park just out of Gordon R. Camp . Second picture is loaded trucks parked for the night across from shop at Gordon R. Camp.

  871. #871camptramp2013-12-06 00:02

    tw Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. More pictures of #6-139 and loaded preload trailers

  872. #872caycusion2013-12-06 01:56

    Heres a snorkle for torkel....

  873. #873camptramp2013-12-07 19:04

    tw Timberwest HBO #40-140 P16 Pacific on the lowbed with John Deere hoe chucker on board , looks like Naniamo Lakes lowbed I think its the #40-98 a P16 Pacific with excavator on board 2 ex CZ P16 Pacific preloaders along as push truck's . Dispatcher driver Reid Bryson and driver Don Orza giving things an inspection.

  874. #874camptramp2013-12-07 19:23

    tw Timberwest HBO #40-140 P16 Pacific with 044 Madill grapple yarder on board .

  875. #875log big2013-12-08 02:56

    that yarder looks like the 1 on forestech for sale?

  876. #876camptramp2013-12-08 12:06

    tw Timberwest #40-131 P16 Pacific The old "high baller" Jack Cotterill at the wheel.

  877. #877camptramp2013-12-08 12:09

    tw Timberwest Madill 009 yarder and #40-140 P16 Pacific log truck , with Lake Cowichan in back ground.

  878. #878camptramp2013-12-08 12:18

    tw Timberwest Tom Worth sharing a view of Lake Cowichan from high up on a North Shore ridge.

  879. #879camptramp2013-12-08 12:29

    tw Timberwest HBO Madill 3800 loader forwarding logs to Cypress 1825C loader to load on to #40-129 HDX Hayes logging truck.

  880. #880camptramp2013-12-08 12:38

    tw Franklin River shop and yard

  881. #881HDX2013-12-08 18:49

    Good picture of Franklin Shop Yard camptramp The preload truck H92 on the left was the primary lowbed truck for M&B at Franklin River. One of the 3 Pacific Supertrucks with the 3412 Cat engines. The sandtruck on the right was H109. She had one of the 17 yard Smith Sandbox's mounted on her. You can see the extensions welded between the top of the box and the screen. When they came new there were 4 of these 17yard Smith box's and they were mounted on smaller HD Hayes units H38 H48 H102 and H97. As these trucks were phased out the box's were mounted on HDX's. H194-- one of our older WHD Hayes had one on her till she was sold. In this picture taken in the late fall H109 is ready to go. Imagine That!!!!You can see she is totally unmolested and ready to sand the roads. Hard to believe it use to be like this!!! Now the "Knap Sackers" have everything and it is pandemonium!! Old H109 was sent up to Mike Murphy at PtMcneil Division where he and his shop crew totally rebuilt her. She is still hauling up there to this day. She has a WFP unit number now.

  882. #882dirty4fun2013-12-08 19:34

    You guys totally amaze me not only do you know what truck it is but it's life history. That is great keep sharing I sure keep enjoying it all.

  883. #883camptramp2013-12-08 23:21

    tw Timberwest HBO #52-53 TL15 Washington Trakloader Wes Weremi and Rob Wilson fixing something , Roy Johnson ,Olie Virtanen and Garry Powell making sure they do it right.

  884. #884camptramp2013-12-08 23:28

    One more of above

  885. #885camptramp2013-12-09 00:01

    tw Timberwest HBO #54-85 Madill 075 super snorkel operator Ernie Harrison after 30 plus years running hand me down loaders Ernie finally got a brand new one.

  886. #886camptramp2013-12-09 00:10

    tw Timberwest HBO #40-139 P16 Pacific log truck ,lowbed driver Tom Worth caught hauling logs !

  887. #887camptramp2013-12-09 00:18

    tw Timberwest HBO Wagoner stacker dumping P16 Pacific log truck

  888. #888camptramp2013-12-09 10:18

    tw Timberwest HBO Tom Worth and Robby Young with Robby's Cat

  889. #889camptramp2013-12-09 10:20

    tw Timberwest Doug Smith and helper working on Cypress grapple yarder

  890. #890camptramp2013-12-09 10:22

    tw Timberwest #40-91 hooked up to lowbed Honeymoon Bay DLS

  891. #891camptramp2013-12-09 19:36

    tw Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div Empty logging trucks parked at Gordon River shop

  892. #892caycusion2013-12-09 21:43

    wiping the stake off HBO style

  893. #893caycusion2013-12-09 21:46

    ain't gonna budge this old hitachi....HBO..

  894. #894caycusion2013-12-09 21:48

    Big Bucks with the bed...tuck lake...HBO

  895. #895caycusion2013-12-09 21:52

    longlining ..hemmingsen 2000

  896. #896caycusion2013-12-09 21:55

    chokermen givin'er...F-3...HBO

  897. #897caycusion2013-12-09 21:57

    horrible and leon....braden 6000

  898. #898caycusion2013-12-09 22:00

    ol' horrible damn near made it to the road....only a couple more feet

  899. #899caycusion2013-12-09 22:02

    Hbo

  900. #900caycusion2013-12-09 22:13

    grappling in Edinburgh...HBO

  901. #901camptramp2013-12-09 22:24

    Great pictures ,you have to be a little gentler with a highway truck . There are somethings that are easier to deal with when your loading an HDX Hayes or P16 Pacific.

  902. #902caycusion2013-12-09 22:28

    look at all the money we saved with no push truck...HBO

  903. #903camptramp2013-12-09 22:34

    tw Timberwest HBO #56-36 KOBELLCO hoe chucker on board lowbed #40-140 P16 Pacific Bruce Wilson loader operator , truck driver Tom Worth with daughter Michele

  904. #904camptramp2013-12-09 22:56

    tw Timberwest HBO #40-140 P16 Pacific Stuart McKee with Whitney and Jared checking out Uncle Toms big truck.

  905. #905caycusion2013-12-09 22:57

    dueling smoke stacks...HBO....Harris creek camp.

  906. #906caycusion2013-12-09 23:00

    braden 6000...horrible on loader...at least he was nice enuff to provide a step ladder.

  907. #907camptramp2013-12-09 23:02

    tw Timberwest HBO #56-39 Madill 3800 loader #56-36 Kobellco hoe chucker

  908. #908caycusion2013-12-09 23:02

    hallberg given'er Edinburgh b.c....

  909. #909caycusion2013-12-09 23:04

    Edinburgh...HBO

  910. #910caycusion2013-12-09 23:07

    Too close for comfort...HBO..braden 6000

  911. #911caycusion2013-12-09 23:09

    F-3...hbo

  912. #912caycusion2013-12-09 23:12

    longlining braden 0100 HBO

  913. #913camptramp2013-12-09 23:17

    tw Timberwest HBO rock drill on lowbed

  914. #914caycusion2013-12-09 23:20

    nick sohye...loading out...timberwest HBO

  915. #915caycusion2013-12-09 23:22

    Hbo..

  916. #916camptramp2013-12-09 23:29

    tw Timberwest HBO Cat skinner Al Burgess putting Cat on lowbed.

  917. #917camptramp2013-12-09 23:49

    tw Timberwest A couple of scenic views of Lake Cowichan

  918. #918camptramp2013-12-10 00:40

    tw Timberwest HBO Group picture of HBO drivers early 2000's

  919. #919camptramp2013-12-10 00:42

    tw Timberwest HBO Tom Worth with longline hook tender Rob Wilson

  920. #920camptramp2013-12-10 00:51

    tw Timberwest HBO Not sure ,but looks like equipment that went with the private lands when Timberwest sold TFL 46 to Teal Jones.

  921. #921caycusion2013-12-10 20:28

    Hbo...

  922. #922caycusion2013-12-10 20:30

    possum lodge....longline landing hemmingsen.

  923. #923camptramp2013-12-10 22:31

    tw Timberwest Sand truck , Water trucks and spare logging truck that stayed with Timberwest private lands after TFL 46 was sold to Teal Jones

  924. #924camptramp2013-12-10 22:36

    tw Timberwest Faller Buncher on lowbed

  925. #925camptramp2013-12-10 22:42

    tw Timberwest HBOlog trucks lined up on Gordon R. M/L waiting to cross highway to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  926. #926camptramp2013-12-10 23:03

    tw Timberwest HBO Robby Young's Cat parked at Gordon R. camp

  927. #927camptramp2013-12-10 23:08

    tw Timberwest HBO #41-152 Western Star Tridem Tridem

  928. #928caycusion2013-12-10 23:13

    52-70 on a cold west lens morning....HBO..

  929. #929camptramp2013-12-10 23:14

    tw Timberwest I not sure but I think these are the Western Star highway logging trucks that stayed with Timberwest when they sold TFL 46 to Teal Jones.

  930. #930caycusion2013-12-10 23:16

    HBO longline crew...lunch room.

  931. #931camptramp2013-12-10 23:21

    tw Timberwest HBO #40-140 P16 Pacific with #54-66 American log loader on board.

  932. #932camptramp2013-12-10 23:27

    tw Timberwest HBO I guess its getting around that time of year , the late Dave Page Log Truck Driver with Tom Worth Lowbed Driver

  933. #933Jumbo2013-12-11 21:26

    For all of us below the 49th Parallel how about a "time line" to show the rest of us who started where and who succeed them? I keep seeing trucks, shovels and yarders along with timberlands changing hands. I am not too interested in the RB action, but things like; Bloedel Steward Welch was followed by MacMillen Bloedel and they became who? And they became who?? Along with all the other timber companies.... Anybody up for it?

  934. #934caycusion2013-12-11 22:22

    backspars ready to go for the spur 12 longline

  935. #935caycusion2013-12-11 23:22

    dave page...helluva good guy.

  936. #936caycusion2013-12-11 23:43

    thx. for your intrest but I have a really hard time understanding why anybody gives a ****...when I first came on this site I couldn't believe anyone cared about a serial # from a yarder that wasn't stolen. It's good that people want to learn about the old camps...but you have to remember that nearly every story of a camp changing hands recently on the island also has a story of some real hardships for some people.when I started at my last camp I was 4th generation in that camp...my great grandfather worked there along with my grandfather ,grand mother, 3 of my great uncles, 1 great aunt, both my uncles and my dad and I finally had enuff after they got some ****** scab from up north in and I was laid off for 19 months.(worked the whole time thou....the industry was screaming for guys...lol.)

  937. #937caycusion2013-12-11 23:51

    crew heading in...slack line tower yarding 2nd growth...camp main ..HBO

  938. #938Knocker of rock2013-12-12 10:32

    Are you going to cooperate with a time-line, or is your bitterness going to interfere with that?

  939. #939camptramp2013-12-12 11:41

    Lets try to get along guy's, we're short handed as it is .

  940. #940camptramp2013-12-12 14:13

    I'll try to give you a brief run down of the San Jaun Valley at Port Renfrew B.C. logging started on the North side of the valley in 1923 with Cathels and Sorenson in 1933 Heemmingsen and Cameron took it over ,their logging camps were at Granite Cr. then Harris Cr.. On the south side of the San Jaun valley its my under standing the San Jaun Bay Lumber Co. was first to start logging in that area ,the Malahat Logging Co. began operations in the mid thrities and pushed the rail road up the valley and built their logging camp at Bear Cr.These outfits were rail road operations. In 1946 Britsh Columbia Forest Products was formed and purchased both the Hemmingsen Cameron and the Malahat holdings .Creating Renfrew Division. In the mid 1950's BCFP switched from rail road logging to truck logging .In the late 1950's to the early !960's BCFP shut down Bear Cr. then Harris Cr. camps and Built a new camp and Dryland Sort at the mouth of the Gordon R. and North Fork of the San Jaun R. In the 1970's Renfrew Div. started hauling logs over the passes between the San Jaun valley and Cowichan Lake to supplement the log supply for Youbou saw mill . The end of 1982 found us pulling out of Renfrew's DLS and hauling our logs to Honeymoon Bay DLS where they were sorted any logs not needed at Youbou were loaded on to highway trucks and hauled to Shoal Island DLS by Crofton to be boomed in salt water and sent to other mills. In and around 1988 or 89 BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge after they picked through the assets of BCFP ,Renfrew Div. was combined with Caycuse Div.in the winter of 1991-92 creating Honeymoon Bay Operations (HBO) in 1992-93 Fletcher Challenge seperated the logging holdings from their pulp mills and called it Timberwest in 2004 Timberwest seperated their private lands from the crown lands in TFL 46 and sold the TFL to Teal Jones . Thats a basic over all view of what happened it was a Roller Coaster ride for crew the with every change more downs than ups.

  941. #941Sigurd2013-12-12 17:03

    Could any of you guys tell what the weight of this skycar is, also the line pull. Its a six syl. Deutz i understand. Thanks, Sigurd

  942. #942rdr992013-12-12 19:26

    Camptramp. I left the island in 2003. Where did Teal Jones come from? Never heard of them till now.

  943. #943camptramp2013-12-12 20:22

    They started out as J S Jones I think, there are two brothers Tom can't remember the other ones name ,they were originally a Cedar outfit from the Fraser Valley that expanded into logging .They have aquired a couple of TFL's and are active at bidding on small business timber sales. The name Teal Jones came into play about the same time they bought TFL 46. Got stung by a shake and shingle outfit when I was a kid , I'm of the same opinion as a retiree.

  944. #944rdr992013-12-12 20:41

    K, I recognize the name JS Jones. Pallan Timber still around?

  945. #945caycusion2013-12-12 21:11

    pallan just went titters the other day.

  946. #946caycusion2013-12-12 21:17

    Laid off HBO fallers..having a snooze during lunch on the longline..The late Owen Fransen on the left.another good one gone

  947. #947caycusion2013-12-12 21:21

    HBO....Caution soft shoulders....Hemmingsen creek.

  948. #948caycusion2013-12-12 21:29

    HBO..Brand new 3800....spur 12

  949. #949camptramp2013-12-12 22:08

    I'm not familier with the outfit , maybe someone else on here knows.

  950. #950chubbytruks2013-12-13 20:53

    What a tremendous archive of photos and history! I've spent a couple hours looking around. Recognize some of the truck and equipment pictures. Even saw a couple people I know. A friend led me here and I've been enthralled ever since.

  951. #951caycusion2013-12-13 21:31

    HBO...a couple of vultures coming to pick over the carcass

  952. #952caycusion2013-12-13 23:09

    doing a little shotgunning on the 51-55

  953. #953caycusion2013-12-13 23:12

    ernie Harrison and howard Donahue HBO lacey creek 1998

  954. #954caycusion2013-12-13 23:14

    HBO 52-52 lyle hallberg and 56-44 daryl quesnel....widow creek 1998

  955. #955caycusion2013-12-13 23:17

    big bucks hauling full length into the kokisilah sort.

  956. #956caycusion2013-12-13 23:32

    spur 12 backspars...with air crane flying past and tower in the background

  957. #957caycusion2013-12-13 23:37

    51-55 doing a little high leading granite 0400

  958. #958caycusion2013-12-13 23:39

    HBO 52-47 fueling up...west lens 24

  959. #959Vigilant2013-12-13 23:40

    Okay, dumb question if you don't mind. Seeing the back spars, I assume they were logging skyline with a carriage?

  960. #960caycusion2013-12-13 23:42

    this one might hit a little close to home for some of the indiscriminate picture posters on here.....garnet margetish on spur 12

  961. #961caycusion2013-12-13 23:44

    yes skyline with carriage

  962. #962camptramp2013-12-14 00:07

    Thats the down side of line loaders with snorkels loading out of towers,every once in a while you get hung up in something your not suppose to .LOL How are you doing C W

  963. #963caycusion2013-12-14 12:18

    HBO backspar....McKay creek

  964. #964caycusion2013-12-14 12:20

    HBO..52-47 lacey creek.

  965. #965caycusion2013-12-14 12:25

    HBO, the only picture I have of the 51-54 and you can't even see the machine

  966. #966skadill2013-12-14 12:29

    Same HBO Backspar recently

  967. #967Knocker of rock2013-12-14 12:58

    Caycusion: Looks like a photo scan? I think I see some scratches. Anyway I brightened it up as much as I could, hope this helps a little.

  968. #968caycusion2013-12-14 15:28

    same hoe in post #952 also different cab thou.

  969. #969Chimp@Caycuse2013-12-14 16:41

    That was my machine..it did take a lot of thinking, it kept wanting to tip, but we did it.

  970. #970Sigurd2013-12-14 18:09

    Hi Chimp@Caycuse, what size of excavator was it, 15-20 ton? Thanks Sigurd

  971. #971Chimp@Caycuse2013-12-14 18:39

    it was around 15 tons..a 590 excavator

  972. #972caycusion2013-12-15 02:23

    which hoe are you taking about tipping??chimp?

  973. #973Chimp@Caycuse2013-12-15 11:15

    it was the one on page 53, crossing the Edinburgh. I have a few pics here, but not sure how to post?

  974. #974caycusion2013-12-15 13:14

    HBO KOK Sort

  975. #975caycusion2013-12-15 13:17

    HBO KOK Sort

  976. #976caycusion2013-12-15 13:19

    HBO KOK Sort

  977. #977caycusion2013-12-15 13:21

    HBO KOK Sort

  978. #978Sigurd2013-12-15 15:31

    Thanks for reply, you have to make five posts i think to be allowed posting pics

  979. #979caycusion2013-12-16 21:35

    HBO 51-55 D-Branch

  980. #980caycusion2013-12-16 21:37

    HBO Cat

  981. #981caycusion2013-12-16 21:39

    Hbo

  982. #982caycusion2013-12-16 21:41

    Hbo

  983. #983caycusion2013-12-16 21:43

    Hbo

  984. #984camptramp2013-12-17 16:21

    wm Timberwest HBO ex BCFP #6-245 TW #125 as the new linehorse parked by Gordon River shop with old Caycuse linehorse ex BCFP #6-220 in back ground.

  985. #985Knocker of rock2013-12-17 19:15

    Did the line horse have it's own power source, or PTO off the truck? Seems like it would have to have it's own engine.

  986. #986caycusion2013-12-17 19:42

    351 ford engine

  987. #987caycusion2013-12-17 19:45

    friend of mines picture...taken right in front of the dispatch shack...caycuse

  988. #988HDX2013-12-17 22:40

    camptramp Are you sure I think maybe 6-246 S/N???? Line horse???

  989. #989camptramp2013-12-18 00:13

    Your right loss track of numbers the #40-124 was ex BCFP #6-245 #40-125 was ex BCFP #6-246 It had a pretty easy life at Malibu Div. when they ran one side up there It was the spare truck . They only ran two sides up there for a couple of years . Right from day one the #6-246 was under powered had a problem in fuel system ,nobody figured it out until it got to Caycuse . I think Cal Oliver got her fixed up.

  990. #990rdr992013-12-18 01:08

    I have pushed off plenty of trucks, have never seen a setup like that. Kinda neat, though I preferred to unload if I had time.

  991. #991log big2013-12-18 12:06

    hello rdr99 im from MT to checkout madill equipment big equipment hope you like it

  992. #992caycusion2013-12-18 22:05

    HBO Linehorse

  993. #993HDX2013-12-18 22:13

    OK caycusion This is for ALL THE MARBLES What was her original unit number 6-??? I had it wrote down somewhere safe and its still there SOMEWHERE !!!

  994. #994camptramp2013-12-18 23:27

    Do'es #6-220 sound famillar

  995. #995HDX2013-12-19 00:19

    Just double checkin camptramp That one even had Calvin stumped

  996. #996camptramp2013-12-20 14:44

    wm Timberwest HBO #56-36 Kobellco hydralic log loader used for hoe chucking operator Bruce Wilson

  997. #997camptramp2013-12-20 18:52

    wm Timberwest HBO Madill 009 yarder rigged up by rigger forman Dave Thompson to move equipment crew and what ever was needed during construction of bridge crossing Gordon River on Edinburgh M/L 1994 Wes Mckechnie operator

  998. #998camptramp2013-12-20 19:01

    wm Timberwest HBO "Dave's Tram" a tram rigged up to ferry the crew across the Gordon River canyon during construction of bridge on Edinbrugh M/L using a skyline system and Madill 009 yarder

  999. #999camptramp2013-12-20 19:09

    wm Timberwest HBO Moving a Cat front end loader across Gordon River canyon during construction of bridge on Edinbrugh M/L using Madill 009 yarder Wes Mckechie operator

  1000. #1000camptramp2013-12-20 19:47

    wm Timberwest HBO #40-138 P16 Pacific preloader logging truck with a load of bridge stringers . If you can see the trailer tires are half flat Wes Mckechnie standing on pigeon roof driver, John Elliot

  1001. #1001camptramp2013-12-20 19:55

    wm Timberwest HBO The start up of the longline yarding program with a BU-98 Skagit yarder on Sur 10 makes front page of the camp "Rag" 1996.

  1002. #1002caycusion2013-12-20 21:46

    spur 10. 51-54

  1003. #1003caycusion2013-12-20 22:39

    For all you wm fans out there....up close and personal

  1004. #1004camptramp2013-12-20 22:55

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-54 Skagit BU 98 self propelled longline tower Spur 10 1996 operator Wes Mckechnie

  1005. #1005camptramp2013-12-20 23:09

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-55 110ft. trailer mount BU 98 Skagit longline tower ,towering up Granite Cr. 1996

  1006. #1006camptramp2013-12-20 23:12

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-55 BU 98 Skagit , towered down

  1007. #1007camptramp2013-12-21 18:50

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-54 BU98 110ft. Skagit tower up on Spur 10 1997

  1008. #1008camptramp2013-12-21 22:26

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-54 Skagit longline Spur 10 1997 after a snow fall

  1009. #1009camptramp2013-12-21 22:31

    wm Timberwest #51-54 Skagit tower Spur 10 1997

  1010. #1010camptramp2013-12-21 22:37

    wm Timberwest HBO #51-54 Skagit BU98 longline yarder on Spur 10 1997

  1011. #1011camptramp2013-12-21 22:44

    wm Timberwest Longline Hooktender Rob Wilson heading out of landing on a snowy day Spur 10 1997

  1012. #1012camptramp2013-12-21 22:51

    wm Timberwest #51-54 Skagit longline yarder is above snowline on Spur 10 ,lowering logs off setting to landing in Hemmingsen Cr. below.

  1013. #1013camptramp2013-12-21 22:57

    wm Timberwest a Whiskey Jack picking up crumbs off engine hood #51-54 Skagit tower

  1014. #1014Redwood Climber2013-12-21 23:56

    Bu 98 / bu 739 Thank you Mr. Camptramp for all the pictures of the long line yarders. The two towers you have listed as #51-54 and #51-55 are different models. #51-55 in post #1006 and #1007 are a BU 739, a later model which replaced the earlier BU 98 model Skagit. #51-54 in post # 1009, #1010, and #1011 are the earlier model BU 98 Skagit. I'm not trying to pick apart your great work you have going here, just want to be sure we get it straight for those who don't know. Please take no offense, none is intended. 734 posts in less than 5 months is something of a record. Thanks again for the great work, I have spent many hours staring at your pics. It would be really cool if you could post some of these (even if they are already posted in this thread) in the Skagit thread. You and Mr. Caycusion have posted alot of Skagit pics which would be great if we could get a few over there too. Do you have any recollection of daily production rates on these long line settings? Any time you get that much line out there it can cause production rates to slow. Any info is appreciated.

  1015. #1015Knocker of rock2013-12-22 00:04

    Not a logger, but I will say, wow. Seems like you'd have to be on your game and have communication down, or you could get somebody killed landing 1/2mile away from the operator

  1016. #1016caycusion2013-12-22 00:36

    rigging slinger, hooker and chaser were all wearing talkie tooter voice communications, boman controller and talkie tooter yarding whistle...the rigging crew would blow 2 long just before they started to tong up and load the cable...so the landing would be clear.

  1017. #1017caycusion2013-12-22 00:40

    these things had a lot of snort...they actually de tuned 51-56 a couple hundred hp.when we were shotgunning. you know how fast they can let'er rip.the chaser had to let an assload of skidding line go before he blew stop or the damn carriage would run back up the hill.

  1018. #1018caycusion2013-12-22 00:43

    we longlined the **** out of that valley....biggest fir 11ft. giant cedar we didn't even care...you only took pics of fir.

  1019. #1019camptramp2013-12-22 00:45

    I personally wasn't involved with anything to do with costs or production figures maybe someone else out there might be able to shed some light on that end of things.

  1020. #1020caycusion2013-12-22 00:51

    I'll post up a couple pics of the last longline tomorrow....we were told if we kept costs under 20$ a meter then they would keep running it.....costs were $18 or less the whole setting..the rest is history....when we were on the 51-55 in granite 0400. we were getting between 45-50 turns a day...they wanted 6 meters a turn.

  1021. #1021camptramp2013-12-22 01:09

    Thanks for sharing the knowledge caycusion , But I've got a question for you I watched the longlines when ever I was hauling from them . In the begining they seemed to go like clock work , but after a couple of years ,things like the drums on the skycar for the tong line started giving them problems ,maybe from putting to much line on them ? Were they making the road lines to wide and reaching to far from the skycar?

  1022. #1022dirty4fun2013-12-22 05:18

    More great pictures and information. Had to be something to see the logs coming down to the landing, take some good people paying close attention to make that all work, it would seem like. Thanks for sharing!

  1023. #1023camptramp2013-12-22 15:09

    wm Timberwest HBO Madill 046 slack line rigged up as a North Bend yarding system Ried Cr. 1994

  1024. #1024camptramp2013-12-22 15:19

    wm Timberwest HBO a load of logs piled up from longline setting in Hemmingsen Cr. at the Honeymoon Bay DLS 1999 or 2000

  1025. #1025camptramp2013-12-22 16:10

    wm Timberwest HBO Loading logs from the Hemmingsen longline setting ,that were to big for regular logging trucks on a lowbed . The fellow in the wheel chair is the late Frank Eddy about the toughest man I ever worked with . After suffering a horrendous falling accident in the 1980's that left him closer to heaven than earth , he put him self back to gether both mentally and physically ,and went back to work . At the time of the picture he was doing the paper work keeping track of where loads were going when they left the DLS

  1026. #1026caycusion2013-12-23 00:22

    ahhh where is the great red Sampson now

  1027. #1027caycusion2013-12-23 00:34

    last longline as promised...upper nixon

  1028. #1028caycusion2013-12-23 00:36

    how could you not make money??? look at the timber, no west coast brush here

  1029. #1029Sigurd2013-12-23 16:54

    Merry christmas and a happy new year to all,as a former logger on VI in the late sixties and early seventies i very much appreciate all the pics and stories from you gentlemen! Sigurd

  1030. #1030camptramp2013-12-23 20:27

    From one "TIMBERBEAST" to another have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

  1031. #1031caycusion2013-12-23 22:05

    The yarders they bought got some money spent on them....the bomans not so much...we had a lot of carriage break downs.On the fairy lake setting we had to yard 2 roads worth off 1 road due to the fact they couldn't depend on the horse to make it thru a change...it was close to a 1000 ft wide rd....had to cable down damn near the ground to get enuff tong line...pulled our guts out.

  1032. #1032Knocker of rock2013-12-23 22:49

    What does that mean to a non-logger? That you were pulling the logs 500' horizontally with the sky car before you reached the main rope?

  1033. #1033caycusion2013-12-23 23:08

    you got'er

  1034. #1034Knocker of rock2013-12-23 23:10

    And the ground guys had to hike the sky car rope that far out every time? Not a lot of fat guys down there I bet

  1035. #1035caycusion2013-12-23 23:15

    you got that too.

  1036. #1036BDFT2013-12-23 23:57

    I don't imagine there was a lot of jogging, exercising or weightlifting going on after a day like that.

  1037. #1037camptramp2013-12-24 00:32

    wm Timberwest HBO office at Gordon River camp . The office was originally built by WFI the company that previously logged in the Gordon River Valley . I think they shut down around 1981 . When BCFP took over the office and shop at Gordon River as well as the DLS at honeymoon Bay in 1983 . There was a youg Engineer over seeing the camp renovations . I guess he didn't have much experience with floor plans and building lay outs . There was one doorway in the office he kept having the carpenter move , it got to be the camp joke .The carpenter would get on the computer bus to go home in the afternoon , someone would ask ,did you move that doorway again ,he would sigh ,yes I moved it again . After several moves of a foot that way six inches this way it ended up about where they first st arted.

  1038. #1038camptramp2013-12-24 00:36

    wm Timberwest HBO Gordon River shop from the back side

  1039. #1039HDX2013-12-24 21:36
  1040. #1040Jumbo2014-01-03 23:13

    OK, this is not strictly logging, but it probably belongs here anyway. My wonderful spouse got me for Christmas, the book: The Uchuck Years It is the story about a series of coastal steamers on the West Coast of the Island. I now have read about places I keep reading about in these forums. The book is about the day to day life hauling equipment to small camps with water access only, packing booming gear back to the camps emergency runs for truck or cat parts etc. No real logging, but the stories of logging support by a small coaster. The most fun is actually finding out the relationship on the maps to all the places you Islanders list. The author is David Esson Young, it is a paperback just out in 2013. A good read.

  1041. #1041camptramp2014-01-04 00:41

    I have several books on coastal freighters that supported the isolated logging camps on the coast and inlets of B.C. I'll post them on the Books and Literature thread. The Uchuck serviced an area out of Gold River I think it takes passengers . The Lady Rose use to service the Alberni Inlet Barkley sound area . There use to be a coastal freight company called Coast Ferries,that worked out of Vancouver,that served the mainland coast and Inlets don,t know how far they traveled but I've seen them up Rivers Inlet. As the forest industry slowed down they shut down. Now theres a company called Marine Link that works out of Campbell River , they haul freight into the isolated camps and they are also set up to take passengers along for a cruise of there freight routes .Not sure but I think they go for Three or four days. I always enjoy reading books on the history of the Pacific Northwest , I'm very thankful for those who took the time to write about life and adventures on the west coast.

  1042. #1042caycusion2014-01-04 01:24

    What we call the IPL Unicorn headed for camp....Reid crk.

  1043. #1043Blk prince2014-01-06 22:30

    HDX I just saw a shot back on 574. The Pacific on the left is ex Nanaimo Lakes.When they came in they had an extra push bar against bumper that wrapped around the corners.The flat bar in front of that. I wonder if diamondtguy remembers this.

  1044. #1044HDX2014-01-06 22:57

    BLK PRINCE On the Pacific Truck thread--posting 470 is the same truck only a little better shot of it Also on the same thread posting 455 What unit was she originally Do you remember her? Hayesno1 took these pics some time ago and it would be nice to figure out some of their history other than just another old Crown Z truck. It is the BCFP Tri-Color that threw us off. She had a Cotta trans in her because the mounts are still there but a big empty spot where it would have hung!!! For sure a ex Crown Z unit

  1045. #1045diamondtguy2014-01-06 23:14

    I had a look at all those pics of the wrap around bumper on the P-16....I don't recognise it or remember it..I don't remember the Cotta trans either....One more strike and I am out.......Cory

  1046. #1046Blk prince2014-01-06 23:14

    HDX,I checked Pacific site and see same truck.I am going to check with Larry Wasden.He took over lowbeds after Tom Radford and will know truck number.I am sure it was 40-98 with long drive shaft.40-100 went to Courtenay or Beaver Cove

  1047. #1047camptramp2014-01-07 10:10

    dw Picture taken in Red Cr. area on South San Juan ridge not sure if it was taken while Dave Walker (shown in picture ) was working for Fiddick Logging or after PCB had taken over FL , around 1990. Dave is around 6 ft. in height to give you an idea how big in diameter this cedar log is.

  1048. #1048caycusion2014-01-18 00:03

    tied like a b*****d...reid ck.

  1049. #1049caycusion2014-01-18 00:05

    chokerman and 8"2" fir hemmingsen ck. late 90's

  1050. #1050caycusion2014-01-19 02:00

    not much of that crap...lots of beer drinking thou

  1051. #1051caycusion2014-01-19 02:07

    My father-in law, Doug Fitzpatrick, who grew up in Gordon River Camp wrote a few songs and recorded a CD about life in a logging camp. His father is Hank Fitzpatrick.......CD's are $15.00 let me know if you are interested!!

  1052. #1052trux2014-01-19 12:04

    loaded kw850

  1053. #1053trux2014-01-19 12:08

    another,dy39

  1054. #1054trux2014-01-19 12:23

    our watering up hole at camp

  1055. #1055trux2014-01-19 12:28

    dy39 sitting below an switchback,apoligize for not getting truck fully in pic

  1056. #1056DBDLS2014-01-19 20:48

    DY39 looks good right now. I'm sure by the time Dystant is done finishing her up she'll be another one of their fine looking trucks.

  1057. #1057plywoodttop2014-01-19 23:34

    looking for rumors/legends/tails or real info on old buildings/camps/equipment on southern Vancouver island to explore, we will take pics and share....we are exploring the old trestles, railgrades and whatever we can find out in the bush.. we hear old stories of a rigged up donkey somewhere between cowichan and Renfrew, there is suppose to be a loco somewhere in the area with cars....most likely just legends..but... today we were up 19 creek, found a donkey skid set up.... been to blue grouse mine a bunch, the loco parts up at caycuse, the Lidgerwood in copper canyon, mine car up by tuck lake im into the old logging and mining history of cowichan/Renfrew area any leads would be good, check out my buddies web site at, https://www.facebook.com/HauntedBritishColumbia so much metal to find so little time and if you want the place to stay private just send a email to [email protected]

  1058. #1058Vigilant2014-01-20 04:41

    You mentioned the Lidgerwood. Is that a sled donkey, or a tower skidder with boom? If it's a tower skidder with a boom, it may be a major find and a good candidate for restoration. I only know of two left in existence, and one is cobbled up from different machines, and not a true example.

  1059. #1059camptramp2014-01-20 16:51

    Go to BC equipment left to rust page 20 posting #287 I think thats the yarder plywoodtop is talking about.

  1060. #1060Vigilant2014-01-20 18:49

    I'm no expert, but that beast appears to be diesel powered. I had it pegged for an old twin-engine Skagit, but that was just a guess. I knew that Lidgerwood also made steampot sled donkeys, but I was not aware that they ever made anything more recent in diesel or gas-powered machines. Perhaps I need to do some more digging. Thanks.

  1061. #1061plywoodttop2014-01-20 22:03

    yup that's the one...there is also an older donkey carriage right beside it....I think it still has a roof on it too....

  1062. #1062Vigilant2014-01-21 18:09

    Here is a photo of the last true Lidgerwood tower skidder......

  1063. #1063Vigilant2014-01-21 18:11

    Besides having a boiler and swinging boom, it also travels on rails, not steel wheels. This is one magnificent beast IMHO. This photo was taken when it was first set up at Camp 6 Logging Museum at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. I saw it for the first time shortly after this photo was taken. It now rests in pieces, to be reassembled and hopefully painted, at the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, CA.

  1064. #1064Vigilant2014-01-21 18:16

    Here is a link to some more Lidgerwood pics, including one of this same machine, Number 3 Skidder, at Weyco's Vail camp, where my Dad was Superintendent in later years. http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/lidgerwood_steel_spar_skidder

  1065. #106569hayes2014-01-21 22:22

    You don't realise how big these machines are till you see those pictures with the crew standing by them

  1066. #1066Vigilant2014-01-21 22:32

    I heard somewhere that it took 15 men to run a Lidgerwood setting, including setting chokers, powering and operating the machine, working the landing and working the tongs. Longest lengths a Lidgerwood could handle was 65 feet, instead of the usual 80 foot logs, so their bucking costs went up a but, but they apparently made up for it and then some in productivity. I believe that beast weighs right at a million pounds IIRC.

  1067. #1067HDX2014-01-22 13:36

    Steam from brakes.

  1068. #1068ap40rocktruck2014-01-22 15:05

    Classic shot of H-17 working. Now if i can just get steam in scale........ ap40

  1069. #1069Sigurd2014-01-22 15:34

    Awesome HDX, can i share the pic Sigurd

  1070. #1070WFP15612014-01-22 16:52

    Madill 075 super snorkel getting new power 2 series 50 detriots

  1071. #1071WFP15612014-01-22 16:56
  1072. #1072ap40rocktruck2014-01-22 17:34

    Nice photos WFP1561! What is the tire size on the 075? Any more photos of the work being done on this 075? Just can never post too many! Keep going, Ap40

  1073. #1073Blk prince2014-01-22 21:20

    HDX,when did you put hood sides on?Are you going to paint the "Playmate" on?Picture is awesome!

  1074. #1074HDX2014-01-22 22:30

    Sigurd By all means BLK PRINCE Couldn't stand it anymore so I went ahead and made a set of hood skirts up at home and hauled them down to SARITA and put them on!!! I had to use aluminum rivets instead of the copper ones because I cant get copper rivets anymore. Went out to the Martin Mars water bomber base to ask about them getting them still but no luck! Will keep looking because when her and I retire I have to make up a new hood as well as new side panels. When HFS did the rebuild they shortened the hood by 6 inches--3 inches on each end so-- sad as that may be it will get set aside or returned to IPL. Did you happen to notice anything missing on the front bumper??? Now those oversize cable steps will vanish and reappear in the scrap bin. Just gotta get a couple chunks of haulback and spend a little time making the new ones up.

  1075. #1075Blk prince2014-01-22 22:39

    I did see bumper restored to original-nice work.I see Don Yates in our shop often,I could ask him about copper rivets,what is size?

  1076. #1076Blk prince2014-01-23 07:15

    HDX,I have line on rivets,need to know size and how many

  1077. #1077BTC2014-01-23 07:31

    H-17 I'm just looking forward to the day she goes back to her original colours. I have some space on the wall set aside for the occasion.

  1078. #1078HDX2014-01-26 13:42

    This is the size copper rivets we desperately need.

  1079. #1079HDX2014-01-26 13:54

    This is the beginning of our latest project. Donor truck has mint frame. Mid-fifties HD will become 1959 dump truck.

  1080. #1080Blk prince2014-01-26 14:48

    HDX,I will go through rivet collection and search the size.Will get back to you during this week.

  1081. #1081Vigilant2014-01-26 15:09

    Cab on that Hayes COE almost looks like an F Model Mack. Was this truck built after Mack took over and raped the company?

  1082. #1082HDX2014-01-26 21:14

    After Mack bought controlling interest in Hayes in 1969 they brought some of their people from down south to see what they could do to change Hayes. One of their ideas because they had a surplus of these "Sheller" cabs was for Hayes to buy them off Mack and replace the existing hand built COE cabs (Time saver). John Rotar was the head tin basher in the cab section at Hayes at the time and he recalled what a time they had with them. It turned out to be a real engineering nightmare for the Hayes engineers but they worked their way through it and the cabs were adapted to the Hayes COE's. Brockway also used the same cab. Very few are still in existence up this way today . The cabs just rusted out and fell apart. We keep on top of the old girl and use her to retrieve parts and stuff. That truck that we have was ordered new back in 1972 by Quickasair to haul back east. They were built with van bodies on the truck and pulled a wagon trailer I have pictures of them here somewhere. She was later sold and ended up in the graving dock in Victoria as a mobile sand blasting truck, That is where we bought her with the 20 foot flatdeck and Hiab it is handy as heck.

  1083. #1083Vigilant2014-01-26 21:50

    Used F Models were dirt cheap around here back in the day. I believe Brockway also used an R Model cab in their last 2 model years of conventionals, 1975 and 1976 IIRC.

  1084. #1084born to fall2014-01-27 01:39

    what year was this??? my dad bucked alotta the wood from the heli shows around there...

  1085. #1085HDX2014-01-31 22:49

    Pete Glaser is the driver of IPL unit #160 with a couple different loads of cedar from the Gorge Mainline.

  1086. #1086Vigilant2014-01-31 22:53

    How much do you figure one of those loads of cedar would bring delivered to port, or to the mill?

  1087. #1087HDX2014-01-31 23:01

    In the last two pictures you can see where Pete is draining the water tank for the weekend. Suppose to get cold and freeze!!! This was also an ex BCFP truck Im not sure of her original 6-### number. Seems to me her F/C Timberwaste number was 40-140 . Somewhere I have a picture of John Bell driving her hauling to China Creek DLS

  1088. #1088HDX2014-01-31 23:23

    Vigilant Geez im not sure but I will ask one of the scaler/grader's in the dryland for a rough guess of what they would get for them. The logs all belong to Western Forest Products and we(Island Pacific Logging) just log for them. It is WFP that has markets all over the world for them. The area these two loads came from is a new cut block we just went into. The fallers go in and fall the right of way so the grade crew can build the roads. the trees that are felled for the road are called right of way logs. We go in and haul them all out after the road is built then the fallers go back in and drop the whole setting. There is a lot of really big cedar on this sidehill so there is going to be quite a number of huge loads hauled down from there. Don't know if you are interested but I can snap the odd picture of some of the loads the guys are hauling from up there if you want as its logged.

  1089. #1089Vigilant2014-02-01 00:07

    Would love to see it, sir. Thanks. I assume we're looking at second growth timber here?

  1090. #1090Vigilant2014-02-01 00:31

    By the way, how is IPL to work for? Seems that so many outfits have gone the way of Weyco, and been taken over by stinking MBAs. When my dad started with Weyco, they promoted people from within who had what they felt it would take to advance. Now, it's all about the bean counters. Mr. Emil Knutz had an 8th grade education, and retired as a VP. He was a personal friend of my dad's and a first class gent. How times have changed.

  1091. #1091caycusion2014-02-01 00:56

    any body that's named i'm all nuts is sure to go far

  1092. #1092caycusion2014-02-01 02:05

    chokermen and fir log .51-55 ..hemmingsen 2000 late 90's

  1093. #1093dirty4fun2014-02-01 05:07

    Do we want to see more pictures of big timber, big trucks, and beautiful country. Heck I will take any of those and all together just a bonus. Looking forward to what ever pictures you share with us HDX. Save a few of those big logs for this summer!

  1094. #1094Blk prince2014-02-01 10:15

    Nice to see a Pacific,and having a Cat is a bonus.Lol.Never hard on the eyes to look at more pictures!Do trucks sit loaded over weekend in the sort?

  1095. #1095camptramp2014-02-01 11:33

    The IPL #160 was the BCFP #6-264 last new Pacific P16 off highway truck bought for BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1096. #1096HDX2014-02-01 11:46

    I just had to post those because it show the mighty Pacific can in fact still hold its own!!! I asked Pete if he wanted the old "17" in there for scale but he declined

  1097. #1097Blk prince2014-02-01 12:36

    Why such a thick front on the bulkhead? Was this the original fabrication? As for the "17" my oh my,you do not want her to become camera shy.

  1098. #1098camptramp2014-02-01 16:16

    BLK PRINCE check out BCFP #6-264 IPL #160 on Pacific Truck thread

  1099. #1099HDX2014-02-02 11:44

    Vigilant No its old growth red cedar. We don't get involved with the pis#-pot trucks and the second growth. Every now and then we will get sent into a second growth loader and haul a load of camp run but for the most part there is a uneasy tolerance between highway trucks and the REAL TRUCKS!!! They cant function without calling at every Christmas tree on the road both empty and loaded whereas we drive like there is a loaded truck around every corner. The loaded truck calls and has the right of way and the empty truck listens and gets out of the way-- Very simple Not rocket science no need for a bunch of radio pollution. Black Prince Sometimes depending on where you end up you have to leave the truck where ever with the load on. At Franklin we use to stand the load up on its legs over nite or on a weekend but with things the way they are today you just park. It gets bad sometimes when you have to leave your truck in the bush or along the mainline like maybe old Camp"B" on a weekend because you can be sure that at least the fuel tank will take a hit and anything you have in the truck will be gone, Cripes even the cinch lines and cinch bars will disappear off the load. One of the timber sale contract trucks a few years ago was parked on Northfork Main and they came out on Monday morning and a couple trailer tires and wheel wedges even the spacer was gone. These were 1400:X25 tires. NOT SAFE IN THE FOREST ANYMORE!!!

  1100. #1100Blk prince2014-02-02 12:06

    Some thefts boggle the mind.Timberwest took delivery of 2 Mack log trucks.One parked in Ladysmith,driver John Carmichael, starts from here,does walk around and all 8 drive tires are gone,at least it was left on blocks.

  1101. #1101DBDLS2014-02-02 13:00

    People from the forest industry stealing from each other to keep their businesses going is a sure sign that the big timber thieves have driven the rates to rock bottom. I hope they are proud of what they have done in the name of generating a return for themselves and possibly their shareholders. I am sure there is a special place in h__l reserved for all of them. The sooner they go to their eternal reward the better as far as I am concerned. Let them burn.

  1102. #1102HDX2014-02-02 13:57

    DBDLS I could not agree more. We are stuck with a couple "KNAPSACKERS" as a good friend calls them They live out of a knap sack and steal everything they can!! This is for sure NOT the industry we all grew up in. Industry says they cant find people to work in the forest anymore DUHHH I think the thing that pis#'s me off the worst is when they steal the first aid kits! Company radio's can be replaced as well as the rigging and stuff but come on A FIRST AID KIT Guys lives depend on that very kit for help. Do you remember when it was a firing offence if you got caught stealing one ???

  1103. #11030752014-02-02 15:14

    Last year at Ingersol one of our log dumps some one came on the weekend and stole all the wheels off the Ambulance .Took all the tires and spare tire, they also took all the lug nuts and hubcaps. Just last Thursday we had our lowbed parked just out side McNeills shop across the Highway.The driver showed up at 5 am only to find someone came and stolid all the head lights off the truck they were LED ones $800 worth . I had to drive in front of the lowbed with my crummie to light the way, until he had enough light to see. **** weeds every where now, time to start spraying for them.

  1104. #1104Blk prince2014-02-02 15:27

    HDX,can you still lock doors on " The 17"? At Marpole yard in Nanaimo,driver comes in for 6:00am,unlocks door and finds driver's seat has been taken ,unbolted from the floor,then door locked again.

  1105. #1105HDX2014-02-02 19:30

    John Bell with 40-140 at Siding 12.

  1106. #1106HDX2014-02-02 19:33

    Jamie Bracht with H-194 and lowbed getting ready to go to Ritchie Bros. auction.

  1107. #1107HDX2014-02-02 19:35

    14 of 28 IPL trucks on the Sarita Dryland Sort during summer shutdown.

  1108. #1108Blk prince2014-02-02 19:56

    When all sides are running,do all 28 trucks work? Then do you have a dispatcher anymore?

  1109. #1109dirty4fun2014-02-02 20:31

    That is bad when they steal even the first aid kit. Can't something be done to slow or stop all the thieves? I have put a game camera up when I left my excavator in town on a demo job. Only a few pictures of me and a couple of some kids looking around like kids do. Lots of great pictures and information thanks everyone!

  1110. #1110HDX2014-02-02 20:33

    Yes-- funny as it sounds I lock the doors every nite LOL old habits. No to all the trucks working There is usually 16 big ones working every day and a few spares standing by. A couple are waiting to go down to the Chemainus rebuild shop and get some attention before going back into action. As for the dispatcher YES we have one of our old drivers Gary Cathers was hired by WFP to be the dispatcher. He dispatch's the highway trucks as well as the off-highway trucks. I don't know how many highway trucks there are but there is LOTS!!! Somebody asked what IPL was like to work for!!! Well I have worked for them for 6 years and it has been some of the best years in my career. All they ask is for you to do your job Do it safely and look after your equipment. SIMPLE!!! In todays logging industry there is very few companies that have an owner that has a hands on approach to its daily operation. I enjoy working for them!!!

  1111. #1111Blk prince2014-02-02 20:52

    Good to hear!

  1112. #1112HDX2014-02-02 21:26

    camptramp Im thinking that when the 40-140 went down to the ex-Hayes Forest Shop to be rebuilt in 2010 the front bumper might have been changed while it was being rebuilt by them for IPL I know they(Hayes Forest) had a P16 that was scrapped after an accident on the carmannah Main Line around 2007. Unit # T461 went over the bank and was damaged pretty bad bringing her back up They made the decision to part her out and the frame was still there about the time 160 was there so it could very well be that it got changed for cosmetic reasons.

  1113. #1113Vigilant2014-02-02 23:31

    I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that there is at least one decent outfit left up your way, but I am also puzzled. Isn't IPL owned by Weyco? The atmosphere you described is not true to form for Weyco itself in this day and age.

  1114. #1114caycusion2014-02-02 23:41

    no..

  1115. #1115HDX2014-02-03 00:02

    OH BOY I think our owner just had the big one!!! Weyco is long gone from the logging up this way Vigilant. Too bad they did what they did up here in the forest industry. No- IPL is a single owner with long standing ties to the Forest Industry. He is what I guess you would call "OLD SCHOOL". When a couple of us decided to put on the Hayes Truck 90th Anniversary Truck Show here in Port Alberni back in 2012 he rolled up his sleeves and pulled out the stops to help us. He and his oldest son single handedly restored one of the early Hayes HDX's with a fire tanker on it. His highway low-bed with Chad Hopps (the driver ) went back and forth with trucks and equipment all week. It was people like them that made the show as good as it was.

  1116. #111669hayes2014-02-03 00:11

    Hats off to all of you that put on such a great show, can't wait for the next one, 95 or 100 year reunion ?

  1117. #1117caycusion2014-02-03 00:45

    .....

  1118. #111872hayes2014-02-03 11:53

    Thanks Steve for the pictures! if you or anyone else has any pics when she was painted the Red and White or better yet Appache yellow I would sure like to see them. Doug

  1119. #1119Vigilant2014-02-03 18:46

    Sorry about that. My mistake. As much as I cherish the fond memories of growing up around Weyco in the Twin harbors area, and also at Vail, it turns my stomach to see what they have become, and what they did to Mac & Blo. Stinking bean counters.

  1120. #1120DBDLS2014-02-03 20:24

    Dirty rotten Weyerhaeuser...just came to BC to wreck the best company in the woods. 'Any thing but Weyerhaeuser for me when I buy paper or wood products. Probably doesn't make much difference other than I feel better. Hey, is anyone else having trouble posting quick replies? 'You are not authorized to do this action' is what I keep getting even when I am logged in. Gets me tired of pecking out the same response multiple times. If it doesn't like me why doesn't tell me when I start typing instead of when I am done?

  1121. #1121Vigilant2014-02-03 20:46

    Fixed it fer ya.

  1122. #1122dirty4fun2014-02-03 21:25

    When I hit the post quick reply sometimes it says do I want to leave this page. If you say yes it usually posts your reply. If in doubt I high light my post and hit the control and c button that saves what you have high lighted, then hit the control v button when you want it to pastes what you saved with the control c. Sure beat typing it all out again.

  1123. #1123camptramp2014-02-03 21:44

    It wasn't just Wyco the whole industry seemed to find a way to thrash the moral of the workers . Professor John Mann made a foutune traveling from company to company belittleing the working man . After our Liberal government rewrote the labour laws in favor of big buisiness.

  1124. #1124Vigilant2014-02-03 22:12

    That's kind of the impression I got as well. There was a John Mann with Weyco years ago. I wonder if he is the same SOB as the one you mentioned...

  1125. #1125camptramp2014-02-03 22:49

    Was he a Marine Vet from the Vietam War , former Professor of Forestry , left his heart in south east Aisa , very arrogant ,and unfortunatly very smart and ruthless. If so, probably the same guy . Their were a lot of good guys that never came back from came home from Vietam my heart goes out to them , its a real shame.

  1126. #1126caycusion2014-02-03 23:19

    john mann damn near got more than he bargained for at the naniamo lakes we're getting rid of you meeting.

  1127. #1127Vigilant2014-02-03 23:28

    This guy? http://www.westernforest.com/business-value/leadership/ Scroll on down to John Mann. He got his BS at WVU, the same place as my dad got his. Looks like the same guy. Here is a copy of his resume: http://deansoffice.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/Resume_John Mann.pdf He was with Weyco Twin Harbors many years after my dad transferred to Vail in 1969. I don't believe I ever met him, but I do recall hearing Dad mention his name. I have no idea what my dad thought of him, but Dad had absolutely no appetite for BS politics.

  1128. #1128Vigilant2014-02-03 23:35

    On the second page, his entry from 3/94 to 7/97 shows him at Raymond/Pe Ell. Raymond is the next operation below Twin Harbors. I thought it was part of Twin Harbors, but I guess not. Pe Ell is the next operation east of Raymond, and the sister camp to Vail, where my dad was. I used to hear a lot of radio traffic from Pe Ell coming through on the Vail channel. Especially their primary lokie, the legendary Engine 684. I guarantee you, Contract Logger aka Rusty Grapple knows him. CL spent a few years at Vail himself, as his Weyco thread and other threads illustrate.

  1129. #1129HD Mech2014-02-03 23:44

    There was a John Mann or Mahn that was with M&B and later Weyerhauser, he was the manager in the Charlottes from I think 92 to about 97. He was about 6'4" and seemed to be a decent guy. We started calling him the " missing Mahn" because his wife was living in Vancouver for the first couple of years and he would fly back to see her regularly. I don't think he was old enough to have been in Vietnam though. I think after he left the Charlottes he was partly retired and doing work with the Woodlands office in Nanaimo. He showed up at Eve River once with some other big wigs for a tour, and actually recognized me. That would have been about two or three years after I left the Charlottes.

  1130. #1130Vigilant2014-02-04 01:47

    Believe it or not, I recall seeing him at Vail, in about 1971. I recall my dad saying that he had just come back from Viet Nam, and had received combat decorations. He drove a beat-up Chevy 3/4 ton that came from Pe Ell. I have no idea what he was doing with Weyco back then, but I do remember him. he had hair back then. Not sure if he had specific business at Vail. Every time I recall seeing him, he stopped at the gas pump, and came in and ****-chatted with my dad. Seemed like he was just in the area for a few months. Small world, eh?

  1131. #1131HDX2014-02-04 22:31

    camptramp Guess what!!!! Another John Mann resurfaced and came on with Western Forest Products in ALBERNI just a short while ago. He is here to help fix WFP (Alberni Region). Seems it needs fixing Wonder how many of these John Manns are out there ??? Cant say I ever met him With Industry so worried about no new young fellas coming into the industry ,Why would they bring in "HEAD HUNTERS" again. Remember the Canoe Race joke from many years ago!!! I think every company had one with their name on it Somebody has still got a copy of one of these stashed away somewhere .

  1132. #1132camptramp2014-02-05 00:35

    HDX check out Vigilant's 1128 posting the grime reaper has been flying low but hasn't left town . When Timberwest was formed with Kieth Purchase as CEO things didn't look to bad . Doug Mosher as manager in our area worked with the crew to make things better. And things did get better timberwest got good production , we were making a good living , we had good equipment . As things went along we got things like truck wash's to make our jobs easier morale was as high as it had been in years. Paul M took over as CEO , it was like flushing the toilet every thing Mosher and the crew had accompished in 5 or 6 years was in a down hill spiral . Hell of a legacy to leave behind , I'll always have a lot more respect for Doug Mosher than the back benchers behind their mahogany desks in their Ivory Towers . Hits to the working man just keep on coming , good luck.

  1133. #1133Vigilant2014-02-05 00:42

    I believe my father said he was discharged because he got shot up pretty badly in a helicopter. Dad also told me once that he had lived a hard life. It showed in him back then. He looked tough as nails, but also like he had been run over by a truck. Emotional scars do not excuse people like he has become, but they certainly do give us some idea as to how they got to be that way. God help you, John Mann.

  1134. #1134Vigilant2014-02-05 00:44

    Have y'awl ever heard of another gent from Twin Harbors named Daryl Sorenson? He seemed like a good man. Worked with my dad surveying. I heard he went up to Alaska, but that he eventually drifted back south.

  1135. #1135camptramp2014-02-05 01:04

    JW Taylor Way Mooyah Bay around 1960

  1136. #1136Blk prince2014-02-08 10:52

    Where would this be located?

  1137. #1137camptramp2014-02-08 11:18

    JW Carley Logging Gordon River Operation Madill 009 Yarder Skagit loader SJ 4 or 5 ?

  1138. #1138camptramp2014-02-08 11:20

    Mooyah Bay is on the West Coast of Vancouver Island South of Gold River.

  1139. #1139camptramp2014-02-08 12:41

    JW Carley Logging Gordon River Operation contracting for WFI . BCFP VET are you still out there , there was some controversy on the BCFP thread as to what name Wesley "Chum" Carley went by . I got this from John Walker long time employee ,woods foreman for Chum Carley . If you knew him in his youth or ran into him in a coffee shop in Langford or out on one of his logging sides , he was Chum Carley , if you knew him from his Navy day's or at his home or had dealing's with him in his buisnesses, out side of logging and road building ,he was Wesley Carley.

  1140. #1140Blk prince2014-02-08 16:27

    Did Carley Logging do his own hauling?

  1141. #1141camptramp2014-02-08 17:23

    I don't know what he did for hauling at Gordon River ,but when he was hauling from Sombio Cr. and Camper Cr. to Sooke he had Dale Arden do his hauling ,around that time (early 1980's ) he bought Gordy Dougans Kenworth to see what the hauling costs were . First time the truck had a major problem he parked it. When he hauled from Sombio Cr. and Camper Cr. to Masachie Lake then to Chemaius Hawthornthwaite did his hauling.

  1142. #1142Blk prince2014-02-08 19:27

    In the post 1140 it looks like a Pacific truck,would that be correct. Would that be a WFI company truck?

  1143. #1143camptramp2014-02-08 22:18

    I really don't know and I can't ask John Walker for a while , but here's a picture of his water truck parked in the Camper Cr. area in the mid 1980's , is it the same truck?

  1144. #1144Blk prince2014-02-08 22:39

    That is hard for me to say,I cannot get a clear photo when I expand to see if stack is I the hood, need a sharper eye.

  1145. #1145camptramp2014-02-08 22:49

    JW-- Carley logging Gordon River operation. A winter scene probably digging equipment late winter early spring don't know what year .

  1146. #1146camptramp2014-02-08 22:52

    JW-- Carley logging Gordon River, I know its out of focuse but compare the log to the pickup truck.

  1147. #1147camptramp2014-02-08 23:33

    JW -- Carley Logging , Now here is a real find Legendary Victoria trucker Doug "Butch" Taylor's Diamond T hooked to a lowbed .Butch did most of Chum Carley's lowbed work . Butch was one of a kind , one summer I was laid off for fire season , and was down in Victoria beating on tires at R+R tires on Alpha St. right across the street from Butch Taylor's Shop ,anybody remember the Car and Truck Inspection Facillity on Mckenzie Ave. In the late 1960`s up into the 1980`s there was a Vehicle Inspection Facillity Station and every car and truck in the Victoria and surrounding area was required to go there to be inspected Motor Vehicle sent out notices to remined everyone to do so . If you didn`t comply you were sent another remineder then a final notice , at some point of time the Police would remove the plates off vehicle`s that didn`t comply . Butch didn`t comply with anything like that, many final notices were filed in the shop wood stove . One morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the licence plate off the front bumper of his Diamond T , when they walked around to the back of the truck for the second plate it wasn`t there , when they asked Butch where the second plate was he replied , your the detectives you find it. The next morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the second licence plate off the front bumper , Butch walked across the street laughing. I said to him , got any regrets, he said ya I didn`t weld it on . Then him and his cr ew spent the rest of the week getting it up to code to have it inspected

  1148. #1148Vigilant2014-02-09 00:18

    So he had a highway tractor pulling an off-highway lowboy? That's what it looks like.

  1149. #1149camptramp2014-02-09 01:20

    Butch Taylor would try just about anything and usually get away with it . Whether it was moving a house or a D8 Cat with the blade on it. Bob Richards and I pulled up in front of his house one Saturday morning just in time to meet Butch heading out the door for his pickup . Bob asked what are you up to , Butch said he had to move a garage for a Cop , what did you do now Butch , I`ll never tell . John Walker tells about the time he tried to move a Madill 009 Madill track mount tower with his highway lowbed . took the rearends out of his truck before he gave up.

  1150. #1150HDX2014-02-09 10:26

    camptramp That Pacific looks like one of the ELDER LOGGING trucks from down sooke way Wonder if it was originally one of their trucks. That is the push truck that came through Franklin when Chum Carley was on his way to Sarita to meet a barge with some equipment. Were these not called the EMOD Pacific. Bruce Adams has restored one down in Ladysmith

  1151. #1151Blk prince2014-02-09 10:42

    HDX, would you say that post 1140 and 1144 could be same truck?

  1152. #1152HDX2014-02-09 10:56

    For sure BLK PRINCE Don't know what ever became of that truck. I will ask Bruce Maybe it's his one that he restored.

  1153. #1153camptramp2014-02-09 12:28

    Butch had a fairly heavy 9 ft. wide lowbed trailer in 1972 ,that might be it, when I looked at it ,it was painted green.

  1154. #1154camptramp2014-02-09 12:31

    HDX BLK PRINCE The guy that would know where it came from and where it went is John Walker , the next time I see him I'll find out.

  1155. #1155diamondtguy2014-02-09 14:37

    Cool story......Love the big Diamond T..would look good at home here with mine.Even looks the right color..I had the RCMP take the plates off my 68 Mustang in the early 80's as I hadn't had it inspected.They even had the nerve to go in my garage to do it......Cory

  1156. #1156camptramp2014-02-09 16:29

    Looks good , you must have a lot of hours in your Diamond T . When I met Butch it was around 1970 and that Diamond T was his truck for his House Moving and Lowbed service . Around 1973 he started to up grade to Kenworth's, E Nixon had a Diamond T they used for a ramp truck to carry their 450 John Deere around on , I don't know what became of them. Butch was a genuine character , when cancer got him a few years ago , some of his friends wanted to do something to pay tribute to their old friend . A Truck Parade through Victoria ,out the Pat Bay highway to Sidney where his Memorial was to be , some inquiries were made and word came you guys are not allowed to do such a thing. Perfect , what would Butch do ? A friend of mine invited me to ride along in his Gravel truck . We gathered at Ogden Point . Butch's two Kenworth's led us out of the parking lot on to Dallas Road , on to Douglas Street right through down town Victoria out to Sidney . Butch would have loved it 90 plus trucks of every description motoring through town , even the Victoria Police slowed down to give us a wave.

  1157. #1157Vigilant2014-02-09 18:20

    "What would Butch do?" Classic. I would have loved to have been a part of that, driving a ragged out, loud old beast of a truck that was so out of code that it almost got me locked up. Emphasis on the word "almost".

  1158. #1158camptramp2014-02-09 18:52

    Butch Taylor walked a fine line , one time in the mid 1970's Vic Paving bought a portable Asphat Batch plant in California , Butch took a Kenworth Tractor down through Port Angles to pick it up . On the way down he figured out where the scales were and and how to get around them . Picked up the Batch Plant and brought it back to Victoria through Port Angles with out crossing any scales.

  1159. #1159camptramp2014-02-09 19:11

    JW-- Carley Logging for WFI Gordon R. I think the lowbed in picture is the same one shown hooked to Butch Taylor's Diamond T

  1160. #1160Vigilant2014-02-09 19:28

    Looks like two different trucks. One looks like an old 80 series B Model Mack. B81 or B83 perhaps? Also, I would have probably raised a stink about the load in the last photo. If I was heavy on one side, I wanted it to be on the driver's side.

  1161. #1161diamondtguy2014-02-09 19:59

    There is along story behind my Diamond T but I will keep it short.It was purchased by my father from old man King in Vancouver in 1968.My dad died at a young age and I inherited the truck in 1988.The restoration was done by me...I have been looking at that truck and sitting in it since I was nine years old.I am now 54.The hours involved and the trucks current value were never thought about..I did it for my dad............please excuse the Chevy's...They were my brothers..I like the parade story.....I would have done the same..........Cory

  1162. #1162camptramp2014-02-09 23:36

    Hang in there and get the Diamond T finished ,its looking good ,your dad's probably looking down smilling, telling every body thats my boy . Don't be to critical of the blue Bow Tie I've got a 1965 Chevelle LOL . Had a few car friends over for a picnic a couple years ago.

  1163. #1163camptramp2014-02-09 23:40
  1164. #1164Vigilant2014-02-10 00:05

    My dad bought a brand new canary yellow '64 Chevelle SS to be our family car. Oh, the times we had in that car! Nice looking '65, sir.

  1165. #1165diamondtguy2014-02-10 00:18

    I guess its not a problem here getting off topic....I am a well known Ford guy but I like them all now.Made my living a few years ago working at a Corvette shop in North Van doing 65-67 big block cars...My brother has more cars than me and that includes a 55 and 56 Chev.. Those are nice looking Chevies that are posted here.. I purchased my 68 Fastback when I graduated in 77.It was a wreck when purchased it..I restored it in the 80's.Its been powered by a 1965 427 since 88.I currently have it on the rotisserie doing it too another level... I also have (just about finished)a 67 Mustang Trans Am replica/clone/tribute and a 1964 Falcon 2dr pst.. As far as the Diamond T goes...It took me just under 20 years of searching the globe to find a restorable/chromeable grill.The truck is a deluxe and the grille is the focal point.... Picture of the 68 is just before I took it apart..

  1166. #1166bccat2014-02-10 00:25

    Hi, I am restoring a 65 Chevelle SS, Butternut Yellow with Black vinyl Roof as we speak, Frame off resto, Had it acid dripped, lots of rust, BC car. Going with a 383 Stroker, M22, 12 bolt, My retirement project, restored lots of Caterpillars, this my first Car, Will get pics, Camp tramp Very nice ride, I really like the colour, not going to do mine yellow with vinyl roof, had to replace the roof on mine as was rusted thru. Ken

  1167. #1167camptramp2014-02-10 00:28

    I'm eating my heart out with envy.

  1168. #1168camptramp2014-02-10 00:30

    Need any parts PM me.

  1169. #1169camptramp2014-02-10 00:54

    JW-- Carley Logging WFI Gordon R. Carley's first grapple yarder a Washington TL 15 Trakloader

  1170. #1170TimeLapse2014-02-10 10:42

    Martin Mars Marianas Mars BC Forestry and US Navy [video=youtube;OyMIWnZBOxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMIWnZBOxA[/video]

  1171. #1171HDX2014-02-10 10:42

    Background of the first pic post 1170 shows that same Pacific with the front end off it like maybe an engine job in progress or maybe that was her final trip!!!

  1172. #1172TimeLapse2014-02-10 11:36

    First shots in video are from Hawaii early 1950's

  1173. #1173camptramp2014-02-10 13:04

    good eye HDX that would have to be a repair to truck as that picture was probably taken late 1960's or early 1970's at his Gordon R. shop. The picture of the Pacific water truck beside the BCFP #6-284 Pacific highway truck was taken in Camper Cr. around 1987.

  1174. #1174dunwurken2014-02-10 21:48

    Camptramp, Do you or does anyone have pictures of Carley's Skagit grapple yarder he bought from MB Shawnigan Div in about 1972. Shawnigan had two Skagits, one on a rubber carrier and the other on tracks. I believe the rubber (Y14) went to Carley and the track machine (Y40) went to Carson. This is when MB switched to 7220 Americans.

  1175. #1175camptramp2014-02-10 23:08

    I thought I had already posted this one but can't find it Steve Young's picture of a Skagit SS-R grapple yarder he ran for PCB at Kokisila ,later on they put a yarding boom on it , is this the one on tracks you were wondering about.

  1176. #1176camptramp2014-02-10 23:39

    JW-- Carley Logging Gordon R. dunwurken I think these are pictures of the M+B SS- R grapple yarder at Shawnigan Div yard

  1177. #1177camptramp2014-02-10 23:42

    JW-- Carley Logging Gordon R. Skagit SS-R grapple yarder at Carley's Gordon R. shop

  1178. #1178dunwurken2014-02-11 10:26

    Thanks Camptramp. Both the Carson and Carley machines left Shawnigan as grapple yarders. Carson may have converted it to a loader as in Steve's picture then back to a grapple yarder. That loading boom looks a little overpowering in that picture. Once the snorkel was put on there wouldn't be much lift left to pick off a trailer. It may be just the angle of the picture. Everything looks right although I do not remember the cab having the swept back front window. The cabs may have been different on the two machines. I know the track machine had sliders side windows. Dwayne Larson run the Carley machine, at least when they first got it. John Walker would know for sure. It's been over 40 years. Those two grapple yarders where run double shift on one and sometimes triple shift on one of them. It was like having 5 grapple yarders running. It became quite a panic when one broke down because it was 50% of the production. It was like having two or three yarders breaking down all at once.

  1179. #1179camptramp2014-02-11 23:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #799 Skagit SS-R grapple yarder Steve Youg ran this GY new ,Tahsis Gold R. had the first one built I beleive this is # two , this one and the mate to it from Caycuse were sold to Carley Logging , in all Carley Logging had four Skagit SS-R GY's

  1180. #1180camptramp2014-02-11 23:56

    JW-Carley Logging Grade Equipment

  1181. #1181dunwurken2014-02-12 00:27

    I did not know he had that many Skagits. I do know Dwayne Larson was the first operator when the Shawnigan one went to Carley. There are a few things on the MB pictures that just don't seem right for the one I recall. Doesn't matter, my fault for not carrying a camera. Spent 36 years in the woods and not one picture!

  1182. #1182camptramp2014-02-12 09:53

    Carley Logging had four Skagit SS-R grapple yarder's , I don't know if Chum was using them all , John did mention the fourth yarder was a parts machine . Also I have posted pictures of a new Cypruss 7280 grapple yarder being moved through Gordon R. M/L to Camper Cr. in 1984 or 1985 on this thread.

  1183. #1183DBDLS2014-02-12 14:51

    2nd Picture down: Would the log loader be a Madill conversion of a Northwest Shovel? Just curious about the identity of the machine.

  1184. #1184HD Mech2014-02-12 16:59

    I think you are right DBDLS, there was a northwest log loader at Eve River that looked the same.

  1185. #1185camptramp2014-02-12 18:25

    The Northwest loader is one Madill put together . BCFP bought one I believe it was a Model 6 or Timbermaster 6 ,sometime in the mid 1970's . The first one that was possibly the first Northwest for Madill had some issues ( I wasn't in the Div. at that time), it end up being returned to Madill. The one in the picture is the replacement . Its a Northwest loader on top on a Madill rubber tire carrier , for all intense purposes its a great machine ,except when it was built they had trouble setting up the manual brakes . The operator when it was new had run a Washington TL 15 with air brakes ,and had air brakes put on that machine .Some guy's that ran it were better than others , but it was known amongst the drivers as the " Pile Driver " The Northwest that was returned to Madill found its way to Pacific Logging at Sooke. Fiddick Logging at Port Renfrew bought a new Northwest 80D on tracks from Madill , it came with the air brakes , their operator Fred Parkins had a machanic from Madill wth the parts to install manual brakes on its way before the first day was completed , and he set them up.

  1186. #1186camptramp2014-02-13 23:14

    JW-- Carley Logging Skagit SS-5R at Gordon River shop

  1187. #1187camptramp2014-02-15 00:45

    JW- Carley Logging Camper Cr. Div. New American hydraulic log loader on barge being towed from San Jaun Bay into the North arm of the San Jaun River , to be unloaded at BCFP's Renfrew Div. DLS.

  1188. #1188skadill2014-02-15 01:31

    Carley Logging Equipment From RBauction flyers,and rb hard cover book.

  1189. #1189skadill2014-02-15 01:34

    cont. continued

  1190. #1190Sprengstoff2014-02-15 13:57

    Holy crap, I'd never think that a barge of that size would fit through there.

  1191. #1191camptramp2014-02-15 23:21

    It probably wouldn't fit through there today ,but it had been dredged every now and then in thoughs day's. Booms of logs were taken through there up until around 1982.

  1192. #1192HDX2014-02-15 23:27

    camptramp Was that barge coming from up the Coast?? Seeing that HDX on there and the fire tanker make me wonder! Does 6-246 look familiar? Sure looks like her and the Madill pipe as well. Would make sense to have the barge stop in Vancouver on the way to Renfrew and pick up the loader if they were all going the same way. Just a thought Been looking at that picture ever since you posted it Thanks

  1193. #1193camptramp2014-02-15 23:58

    I've been looking at it to HDX I wasn't at Renfrew when that bardge landed . But that load of equipment could be around 1978 , I'm not sure what year Malibu shut down , but the truck could be from Malibu , there is also a Madill 009 on a rubber tire carrier it could be the #27-13 that I ran at Malibu it went to Caycuse. There is also a line loader on the bardge could it be the #16-23 the Northwest that was built by Madill?

  1194. #1194camptramp2014-02-16 00:38

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr. operation

  1195. #1195TimeLapse2014-02-16 01:04

    Boom Tugboat Ladysmith Harbor Vancouver Island Canada [video=youtube;4-m5JpkoLrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-m5JpkoLrI[/video]

  1196. #1196dirty4fun2014-02-16 06:41

    Amazing how much equipment they can haul on a barge at one time. More great pictures to enjoy many times over.

  1197. #1197camptramp2014-02-16 23:33

    JW-- Carley logging American hydraulic log loader.

  1198. #1198TimeLapse2014-02-16 23:52

    [video=youtube;9JJfCcLc9so]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJfCcLc9so[/video]

  1199. #1199camptramp2014-02-18 23:20

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1200. #1200ap40rocktruck2014-02-19 00:11

    Great shots! Any more of the KW LW-900?? Ap40

  1201. #1201camptramp2014-02-19 22:33

    JW- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1202. #1202camptramp2014-02-19 22:35

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1203. #1203camptramp2014-02-19 22:47

    Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1204. #1204ap40rocktruck2014-02-19 22:58

    Nice shots camptramp! Is that a severe service cab or a standard A cab? Ap40

  1205. #1205camptramp2014-02-20 00:27

    Wish I could be more helpfull ,I've driven a couple of Kenworths over the years , but you know a whole lot more than me about the different models. An old friend of mine Walter Cook from Sooke was lead driver for Dale Arden at the time . I jumped in with him at the Muir Cr. DLS where they were dumping and rode with him out ot Camper Cr. The truck would have been a late 1970's model , it was powered by a V8 -92 Detroit diesel and had a 15 speed rto transmission. There are a few more pictures coming maybe that will be of some help.

  1206. #1206Blk prince2014-02-20 00:47

    Camptramp,did you know any of the Carley crew?

  1207. #1207camptramp2014-02-20 10:01
  1208. #1208TimeLapse2014-02-20 11:11

    Ship full of logs leaving Nanaimo Vancouver Island [video=youtube;3LHf1YSiPMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHf1YSiPMw[/video]

  1209. #1209Blk prince2014-02-20 17:15

    Camptramp,do you think loader operator was Ray Sunberg. He ran Skagit SJ 7 then got first juicer we had which was a Poclain 300. He left Nitinat to run juicer for Carley. Past on about 3yrs ago now.Really nice guy and good operator.

  1210. #1210camptramp2014-02-20 18:19

    sounds like the same Ray not to tall had bit of a beard Carley had a Poclian juiser , I remember one rig up Ray didn't like the way the landing was set up for him. The high side of the landing was good material , Ray grabbed the heal with the grapple , went back and forwards taking a bit off the bank each pass until he had another ten feet or so to working room , didn't take him long either. We were laid off in September something to do with the log dump at Sooke , at that time Carley was hauling in to BCFP's DLS at Port Renfrew from his Camper Cr. operation . Due to the problems with towing booms out of San Jaun Bay , BCFP couldn't handle Carley's wood from October to March ,so when Camper Cr shut down Duwayne Larson would be moving to Sombrio to run the Madill 009 that I was running . After the lay off I never went back , I went up Jervis Inlet to Malibu for BCFP to run a 009 tower . I heard Ray didn't return to Carley's either.

  1211. #1211Blk prince2014-02-20 18:30

    He went to north island.Did DwayneLarsen go onto to Mt Sicker later on a mini pipe?

  1212. #1212camptramp2014-02-20 21:42

    I'm not sure where Dwayne Larsen got to , but I'm sure most of Carley's crew would have been hired by the remaining local contractors. Several were hired by PCB which later became Hayes.

  1213. #1213dunwurken2014-02-20 23:14

    Dwayne was running yarder at Phillips Arm for Ted Leroy Trucking. Same place John Walker ended up.

  1214. #1214HDX2014-02-20 23:33

    Do you have any pics of Gordi Isaacsons LW Kenworth camptramp??? This would be a good time to post them That is THE MOST ORIGINAL truck still running around!!!!

  1215. #1215camptramp2014-02-20 23:49

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1216. #1216camptramp2014-02-20 23:52

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1217. #1217camptramp2014-02-21 00:00

    No I don't but I'll get hold of Gord and get some. I'd really like to get some pictures of it when it was K+L trucking , I'll touch base with Ross Surgenor and see if he has any of that truck or pictures of Longlune Brothers Logging. Should try Gary Kershaw , he might even have pictures of it new.

  1218. #1218rwt2014-02-21 00:40

    Hi camptramp,how do i get ahold of you? rwt.

  1219. #1219caycusion2014-02-21 00:56

    why were those scabs working on the TFL???

  1220. #1220camptramp2014-02-21 01:09
  1221. #1221camptramp2014-02-21 01:13

    Pretty strong words to whom are you refering to, and which TFL.

  1222. #1222caycusion2014-02-21 02:29

    46....

  1223. #1223camptramp2014-02-21 10:47

    Okay if you know the area well you would know that there is a big block of what was once timber inside of TFL 46 in the Pandora , Camper Cr. area, and a block of logged off slash between TFL 46 and WFP Jordon River on the West Coast road that was the holdings of the Powel River Co. which later became part of the M+B Co. out of Stillwater Div. The forshore rights at the mouth of the Gordon River area, that BCFP built their DLS were tied to the block of M+B timber in Camper Cr. And there was an obligtion for BCFP to handle M+B's wood when that block was logged ,when the Renfrew DLS was built. I don't know if those blocks of timber were private holdings or part of a TFL. Carley Logging was a Union outfit when I worked for them ,the Industry Standard was Hookers and Operators were paid two thirds of an hour over and above there daily hours for being responsible and looking after your equipment Chum Carley paid two hours .Carley's Madill 009 steel tower was the nicest 009 I ever ran. I never worked for Dale Arden Log Hauling ,don't know what their deal was, after the strike of 1986 ,I have a critical view of that company I'll keep to myself, the pictures that I'm posting were taken between 1976 -1982 .

  1224. #1224Vigilant2014-02-21 19:09

    Those 8V92s were some beautiful sounding engines, but many of them were also chock full of headaches.

  1225. #1225lowbed driver2014-02-21 19:37

    I drove a 79KW LW900 8v92 and 15 speed. It was a tractor and I pulled lowbed with it as well as high boy. I did haul 1 or two loads of logs with it. It was a nice truck to drive. That V8 would scream and I could rip thru the gears real well. Miss that truck.

  1226. #1226camptramp2014-02-21 23:32

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1227. #1227ap40rocktruck2014-02-22 02:05

    Great shots again Camptramp. That is a severe service cab, easy to spot with the flat roof covered with diamond plate. Very popular in all sorts of heavy & off highway application. Ap40

  1228. #1228camptramp2014-02-22 22:24

    JW--Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1229. #1229camptramp2014-02-22 22:26

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1230. #1230Dave Hadden2014-02-23 17:28

    I remember Chum fondly and the last time I saw him was at Shakies at Jordan River when he insisted on paying for my hot dog. I'd scrounged a few parts for his SST Skagit grapple yarder for him and he was grateful. Always seemed a very nice guy to me. R.I.P. Take care.

  1231. #1231Dave Hadden2014-02-23 17:34

    When you see Ross ask if he remembers when he and a few other Victoria racers towed all the way to a new track at the time called Tillicum Speedway (I think) near Vernon. He set a new track record, won the trophy dash, won two heat races and then the main event. Cleaned house. I talked to him briefly some time after that night (I was there) and asked how much money he'd won. The answer: $62.00 including tow money. Check how good his memory is. LOL Take care.

  1232. #1232camptramp2014-02-23 18:59

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1233. #1233RCP572014-02-23 19:08

    I have a few pictures of Gord's truck but only from shows. Isn't his truck a "M&M" clone? At least I think that's what he told me...not that there is anything wrong with that. Reg

  1234. #1234HDX2014-02-23 19:19

    I took these pictures a long time ago when we were cruising around checking trucks out. Then a couple years later we went back and Jordan River was replacing the LW Kenworths These trucks were in unbelievable condition and I could not figure out why they were being surplused

  1235. #1235HDX2014-02-23 19:23
  1236. #1236HDX2014-02-23 19:25
  1237. #1237HDX2014-02-23 19:35

    In 1987 Hal Fladager the Master Mechanic at Jordan River knew Vic Laughlin and I were doing everything we could to save the Hayes Trucks and told us about an old Hayes Anderson that was down at Jordan River and he made all the arrangements for us to go retrieve it. We spent the day down there with him going through all the bush's and the remains of an old shake mill property before the scrap guys came to clean it all out This is Hal with the Hayes Anderson and an old logging trailer after we loaded it on the lowbed to come to Port Alberni.

  1238. #1238HDX2014-02-23 19:52

    RCP57 Don't matter It is a beautiful example of what those trucks looked like! Kind of a time machine. Gord has done everything he could to preserve her SHOW IT OFF!!!

  1239. #1239RCP572014-02-23 20:25

    Yeah for sure! He has shared a bunch of M&M photos with me and that was a great help in finishing my mini 850. I also used pictures of his truck to have the M&M decals recreated for the model... Of course once I met Gord he told me where he had the decals made for his truck. Too bad I didn't get to meet him sooner.lol It was pretty cool to see the look on his face when I drove the model over and parked it in front of his truck at the Duncan show last year! It would be nice to see more trucks and other machinery restored/cloned or whatever to their original company colors. Without it the history will die with the guys that operated them! Reg

  1240. #1240HDX2014-02-23 20:49

    There is no such thing anymore as ORIGINAL !!! Whenever somebody replaces parts on something then it is no longer Original is it??? It does not matter what is or is not the fact remains that whatever truck or piece of equipment gets restored -- it is for everybody to enjoy seeing. If you so decide to clone a truck that you remember from your youth then all the more power to you. At least you are honoring something or someone from the past. TRIBUTE TRUCKS!!!! We did my WHD Hayes as a tribute to the drivers and guys at Elk River Timber. It is also a tribute to my dad that drove a truck identical to her and it was his favorite of all the trucks he drove.

  1241. #1241RCP572014-02-24 10:32

    Did the Hayes Anderson truck get restored? What year is it? Late 30's?

  1242. #1242HDX2014-02-24 10:36

    Early 30's and yes it did It is usually out at the McLean Mill show with a load of logs on it. Go onto Hankstruckpictures web site and check out TRUCK SHOWS it will be in any of the mclean mill truck show events

  1243. #1243RCP572014-02-24 10:42

    Didn't Elder's have a truck like that? Or was it that truck? Now that you mention it I have seen the truck at the Mclean Mill show before but I had no idea it came from down here.

  1244. #1244HDX2014-02-24 10:59

    Reg Could well have been an Elder Truck. If not for Hal though it would have been just a memory now

  1245. #1245camptramp2014-02-24 22:46

    JW -- Carley Logging Camper Cr. I think John said the spruce was 14 ft. in diameter

  1246. #1246camptramp2014-02-25 22:38

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1247. #1247camptramp2014-02-26 19:51

    RL-- King Hayes Logging , Ray Livingston loan me this picture of a load he put on an HDX Hayes at Houtson River.

  1248. #1248camptramp2014-02-26 19:54

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr Div.

  1249. #1249ap40rocktruck2014-02-26 20:00

    my word that is some BIG wood!

  1250. #1250dirty4fun2014-02-26 20:08

    It looks like the grapple can just barely open far enough get ahold of the logs they are so big.

  1251. #1251camptramp2014-02-26 21:21

    Look at the 3rd picture its being yarded in with a choker. The 2nd picture shows a strap in the teeth of the grapple lifting the log. God forbid if that strap breaks that trailer would be junk.

  1252. #1252dirty4fun2014-02-27 05:07

    Thanks I missed the strap in the teeth, still not much holding a log that size. Guess it got the job done, but how safely is pretty questionable.

  1253. #1253camptramp2014-02-27 09:37

    A 7/8 or 1 inch strap in good condition will take one hell of a lift or pull with a steady pull , its when your doing something like yarding with a TL15 Washington Trakloader without a guyline ,and you have a hang up that the Hooker doesn't want to fight . You pull into the hang up until the tracks are 4 or 5 feet off the ground , let go of the brake for a split second and catch it before the tracks touch the ground ,the hung up log jumps over what ever its hung up on or a cable breaks . Its that snap that breaks cables.

  1254. #1254ap40rocktruck2014-02-27 09:53

    In the crane world we call that "snap" shock load. It can and often does cause all sorts of damage to both big & little parts. For straps or nylon webbing, we always use a safety factor of 5. this means the weakest link in your lifting device(s) must be able to hold 5 times the weight of the object being lifted. I am always amazed at what non-crane related industry will try and succeed at using tools and practices that are at 95% or higher of capacity of that tool or device. Ap40

  1255. #1255dirty4fun2014-02-27 10:51

    Sounds like quite a trick camptramp, to get the logs off a hang up. A 7/8" or 1" cable in good condition would hold a lot, but if it came off the grapple's teeth or something happened it could of got ugly real fast. Growing up on the farm I learned that any jerk on a chain was going to break it most of the time. Had lots of practice in the spring trying to feed cattle when the frost was going out using a chain. One of the first things dad taught be to do was repair a broken chain.

  1256. #1256camptramp2014-02-27 17:17

    I respect your knowledge and experience . In the woods we were given the machines and tools that were available to us and made the best of it . Usually a Model 6 Northwest grade shovel converted to a log loader or a 599 American log loader was adequate for the average log that you were handling , then every once in awhile a huge log would be yarded into the landing and you had to deal with it anyway you could . Boom up and drag it around the landing to where the truck was to be loaded then put a bunk load on the truck , and pick up the log from one end and back the truck under it picking it up as the truck backed up until it was on the truck . Thats with an off highway truck I've never put a over sized log on a highway truck . It was a lot easier with a Washington TL15 ,an 80D Northwest or 7220 American their big machines , but sometimes it still took a little wrestling to get an over size log on a load.

  1257. #1257camptramp2014-02-27 23:12

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  1258. #1258dirty4fun2014-02-28 06:02

    Seeing that log on the truck you can tell much better how big it really is, that log is huge. Lots of great lumber will come out a log like that, I bet. Thanks for sharing all the pictures of it.

  1259. #1259camptramp2014-02-28 17:42

    JW-- Carley Logging Camper Cr. The largest cut of the Spurce ,the butt cut is loaded by the Skagit grapple yarder.

  1260. #1260camptramp2014-02-28 17:47

    BC-- Doman Transport Duncan B.C. Bob Cook moving a loader with Domans lowbed for T.W. MacKenzie Mesachie Lake B.C.

  1261. #1261rwt2014-02-28 19:41

    camp tramp, is that Dale Cooks dad Bob from Duncan.RWT.

  1262. #1262rwt2014-02-28 19:46

    I worked with a Bob Cook & Dale Cook in the 70s & 80s for Pat Carson.RWT.

  1263. #1263camptramp2014-02-28 22:54

    rwt I know Bob Cook from Shoal Island DLS he hauled in there for PCB , his daughter Judy use to work at Shoal Island ,was a victim of the cut backs in the late 1980's and early 1990's, don't know his son .

  1264. #1264camptramp2014-03-02 22:39

    BC-- PCB contracting at HBO logging on South San Juan ridge Bob Cook' s Pacific highway truck tandem towing tandem pole trailer with a Dog Logger third axle

  1265. #1265camptramp2014-03-02 23:02

    BC-- PBC Bob Cook at Shoal Island DLS with Freightliner highway truck , its not unusual to see a father and son in the Forest Industry , how about a father daughter? Bob's daughter Judy Cook is unloading his load at Shoal Island DLS with a 50 ton Letourneau log stacker. This Freightliner was one of the first logging trucks on the South end of Vancouver Island equiped with a Dog Logger trailer , it was brought down from Prince George to Victoria and used by Wakemen +Tremble a construction firm before being sold to PCB.

  1266. #1266camptramp2014-03-03 23:46

    TH--Malloch+Moseley Muir Cr. Div. Sooke B.C. 1972 A brand new P16 Pacific #116 driven by Toby Herd , Toby's son Jason sitting on fender would drive this truck at Earls Cove in 1990 for Forestland Industries.

  1267. #1267camptramp2014-03-03 23:56

    TH-- Egmont 1990

  1268. #1268ap40rocktruck2014-03-03 23:57

    Looks like a KW 849S with a severe service cab, Very nice Camptramp Ap40

  1269. #1269camptramp2014-03-04 00:01

    TH-- Malloch+Moseley Rivers Inlet Jason Herd checking out a log barge being loaded.

  1270. #1270camptramp2014-03-04 00:08

    TH-- Birds eye view of Gordon River Camp

  1271. #1271Hayesno12014-03-10 16:46

    McKay Ceek Sep. 2005 Here some pics from McKay Creek Sep- 2005. Credit to Woodchucker for letting me post the pictures.

  1272. #1272Hayesno12014-03-10 16:50

    More pics from McKay Creek 2005 - credit Woodchucker

  1273. #1273Hayesno12014-03-10 16:53

    Last pics from McKay Creek 2005 - credit Woodchucker

  1274. #1274rwt2014-03-10 18:07

    Is McKay Creek past Youbou above Cowichan Lake? RWT.

  1275. #1275caycusion2014-03-10 20:54

    yes......

  1276. #1276donkey doctor2014-03-10 23:29

    Beautiful piclures. We truely do live in "The Best Place On Earth" d.d.

  1277. #1277Hayesno12014-03-11 15:37

    KW with lowbed from Texada Island. Island is located between BC Mainland and Vancouver Island. Summer 2012

  1278. #1278Blk prince2014-03-15 17:36

    I would like to know if anyone can bring me up to date on a logging contractor in Winter Harbour. Name was WD Moore,not positive on middle letter. I remember from my time in CZ Kokish in 1967. Just a matter of curiosity.

  1279. #1279Dave Hadden2014-03-15 19:36

    Here ya go. http://www.wdmoore.ca/ Lots of info including his Biography. Take care

  1280. #1280Blk prince2014-03-15 19:42

    Dave Hadden,thank you sir

  1281. #1281SPMiller2014-04-07 00:25

    I don't where else this fits... So here it is

  1282. #1282caycusion2014-04-08 20:20

    I spent a little time at w.d. moore

  1283. #1283caycusion2014-04-08 20:22
  1284. #1284caycusion2014-04-08 20:24
  1285. #1285HDX2014-04-08 21:56

    6-261 and 6-262???? Both Caycuse trucks Roy Schultz and Jack Cotterill Bikini Coral lot different than BCFP tri color Is that right caycusion???

  1286. #1286RCP572014-04-08 22:00

    Is the KW an old Malloch truck? Is that picture recent or old?

  1287. #1287Blk prince2014-04-08 22:03

    I will ask if KW Dan Wickham's truck? I think it was only yellow and green? What do you thinkHDX?these trucks look to be treated well,not bent or twisted.

  1288. #1288Blk prince2014-04-08 22:17

    Bob Forester's truck was a match to Dan's and had green stripe with a green hood. Not in the above picture.

  1289. #1289caycusion2014-04-09 20:20

    a couple of those trucks were old bcfp....moore bought them and took them to winter harbour, stopping in naniamo for the bikini paint job.

  1290. #1290caycusion2014-04-09 20:27

    dry room and first aid shack.....W.D. Moore

  1291. #1291caycusion2014-04-09 20:29

    my bunkhouse....W.D. Moore

  1292. #1292Blk prince2014-04-09 20:56

    Does any new equipment still get Tishri paint color?

  1293. #1293caycusion2014-04-09 21:23

    went to naniamo lakes for a while too

  1294. #1294caycusion2014-04-09 21:25
  1295. #1295caycusion2014-04-09 21:28

    The brakes caught on fire so Lenny stopped at the water up to cool them down

  1296. #1296caycusion2014-04-09 21:33

    more nan lakes

  1297. #1297caycusion2014-04-09 21:37

    Two pics of lenny and the lowbed on fire again....same yarder different move different day....it usually caught fire so I kept my camera handy.

  1298. #1298caycusion2014-04-09 21:40

    two more classics from the lakes

  1299. #1299HDX2014-04-09 22:30

    Yes Both those P16's The 850 looks like Malloch's old 143 Ike Issacsons old truck

  1300. #1300RCP572014-04-10 01:02

    That's what I was thinking. 143 or 145.

  1301. #1301Sigurd2014-04-10 13:51

    From Port McNeill 1967

  1302. #1302caycusion2014-04-10 21:08

    Was at mt. sicker for a while too.

  1303. #1303caycusion2014-04-10 21:16

    more sicker

  1304. #1304caycusion2014-04-10 21:22

    sicker til yer sick of er'

  1305. #1305caycusion2014-04-10 21:28
  1306. #1306caycusion2014-04-10 21:32
  1307. #1307donkey doctor2014-04-11 01:39

    The best place on earth !!!

  1308. #1308caycusion2014-04-11 21:42

    picnic table

  1309. #1309HDX2014-04-11 22:05

    What NO WAX PAPER wrapped goodies!!!

  1310. #13100752014-04-11 22:43

    The Ranger station is now Town Office, and the back ground is all houses. Nice pictures

  1311. #1311Sigurd2014-04-13 13:08

    From a logging side out of Jeune landing 1968,south east main to the southern end of Alice lake looking east, a great day for a hooktender i remember. I won a trip to town for no accidents to my crew for a given period....

  1312. #1312Sigurd2014-04-13 13:23

    Oops, pic nr. four are from Port McNeill, a new D8 and me

  1313. #1313SPMiller2014-04-13 13:59

    54' long, 7' at the butt

  1314. #1314Blk prince2014-04-13 16:40

    Would that be a Horsman truck?

  1315. #131569hayes2014-04-13 18:53

    Oh, please be gentile with my little truck

  1316. #1316camptramp2014-04-17 19:26

    Bob J. CZ Nitinat 1968

  1317. #1317camptramp2014-04-17 19:42

    Bob J. CZ Nitinat Winter 1968-1969

  1318. #1318Blk prince2014-04-17 20:09

    Last picture so only HDX Preloader CZ had in Nitinat original number was 205-4 then changed to 40-51. First driver was Jack Hansen then Gordie Jacks followed by Don Yates and then handed off to many different fellows.

  1319. #1319HDX2014-04-17 21:46

    camptramp Would you mind brushing the snow off old 40-51 Would like to get a better look at her Thanx

  1320. #1320HDX2014-04-17 21:52

    Funny thing is that those guys down there all had bigger tires on the trailer than on the truck 12:00x24 on the truck and 14:00x24 on the trailer Trailer heavy loads and everything "Butt Back" Blk prince is that the first Crown Z dump. The last one was all painted up and looked like a million dollars I think it had steel "A" frame also Just looks wrong for McKenzies dump

  1321. #1321Blk prince2014-04-17 22:22

    HDX yes that is CZ dump at head of lake,when I started there,BCFP. Had a dump just before ours right on side of road. Whenever we dredged our dump,lowbed had to stop,offload loader,American 7220, walk under guy lines,reload then travel last mile to dump. One time I had shovel back on lowbed and Henry Beard,the operator blew 3whistles and road in cab of the machine as I drove down to dump.

  1322. #1322HDX2014-04-17 22:27

    Henry Was a fantastic loader operator Never lost a log on one of his loads Good solid well built loads only trouble was we could never break him of his butt back loading style LOL All kidding aside he went out of his way to load however we wanted. A real pleasure to work with him!!! Don't forget his sidekick Roy Cooke another great one from the past

  1323. #1323Blk prince2014-04-17 22:30

    Ah,Cookie. One of a kind,wanted to get wood,wood wood and Never short of words.back to the picture of the dump,Gordon Woodward was the assistant on the dump and operator was Buster Weir

  1324. #1324camptramp2014-04-18 00:16

    Bob J. T.W,McKenzie Mesachie Lake B.C. September 1970 would find Bob driving this 848 Kenworth for Chinook Log Transport a contractor for T.W.McKenzie. In 1972 Bob purchased this truck off the owner and became an owner operator for T.W.McKenzie.

  1325. #1325camptramp2014-04-18 00:32

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Mesachie Lake First and second pictures looking down off Little Shaw Cr. at the head of Lake Cowichan. Third picture looking across Robertson R. Valley

  1326. #1326camptramp2014-04-18 00:34

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Mesachie Lake First and second pictures are looking down off Little Shaw Cr. at the head of Lake Cowichan. Third picture is looking across Robertson R. Valley View attachment 117351 View attachment 117352 View attachment 117353 [oops

  1327. #1327camptramp2014-04-18 23:18

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Loading on Little Shaw Cr. over looking Lake Cowichan.

  1328. #1328camptramp2014-04-18 23:25

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Mesachie Lake Bob's 848 Kenworth parked at Mesachie Lake.

  1329. #1329camptramp2014-04-18 23:35

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie

  1330. #1330camptramp2014-04-18 23:51

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Mesachie Lake 1974 Bob James Trucking bought an HDX Hayes from Bob Burns. It is shown on the Albernie - Tofino highway.

  1331. #1331camptramp2014-04-19 00:03

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Bobs HDX Hayes empty at Mesachie Lake shop.

  1332. #1332camptramp2014-04-19 00:11

    Bob J. T.W.McKenzie Bob's turn to pull the lowbed Bud Smith is pushing.

  1333. #1333camptramp2014-04-19 00:30

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake Bob's last picture of his HDX Hayes on the back he wrote " Hayes " farwell '89 . Pacific Logging had made the decision to switch from off highway trucks to highway trucks. I remember asking Bob a few months later how he liked hauling on the highway. Bob always with his casual sense of humour chuckled and said he had lots of highway miles ,but he was alittle sad to see his HDX go ,as it was the first time in the 15 years he owned the truck , he had near new tires on the truck and trailer.

  1334. #1334HDX2014-04-19 00:38

    camptramp Post 1332 second picture!!! That HDX on the right was the first HDX built. It belonged to Bill Neil when the picture was taken here AFTER it had been rolled a few times and had undergone a cab change. The original cab with the one piece windshield was replaced with a new style cab. This is one of the few pictures of her around. Good Post Tell Bob THANKs from all of us on here

  1335. #1335camptramp2014-04-19 01:00

    I don't think its the same truck, Bill Neil told me it got wrecked at OB logging up Jervis Inlet and that it was rusting away in the bone yard up there . The first time it got wrecked at Sooke at Butler Brothers , when he fixed it he had found a cab off a highway truck and used it to replace the orginal cab with one peice windshield.

  1336. #1336camptramp2014-04-19 01:09

    Sorry HDX light just came on that picture was probably taken before Bill sent it up to OB Logging.

  1337. #1337HDX2014-04-19 01:35

    OK camptramp Lets see what we can find out. Maybe Bob or somebody else will show up with more pictures of her maybe in the background and we can get a closer look at her in a side profile. Like I said before There is not a lot of photos around of her before or after.

  1338. #1338HDX2014-04-19 11:37

    camptramp I was up burning the midnight oil looking at pictures and going over tons of them I am WRONG That truck above was NOT the truck I thought it was. I went over pictures of her wreck and the front bumper was still the original one she left the factory with. The bumper on the HDX above is so close but no cigar. I have pictures of what I believe to be the truck above when she was newer and it is just too hard to tell The pictures I have of her show a big circle on the drivers door and you cant make out the name within the circle Maybe that will help identify who owned her.

  1339. #1339camptramp2014-04-19 11:55

    Checked with Bob this morning the HDX in picture along side his truck belong to an Angus Francis.

  1340. #1340camptramp2014-04-19 22:16

    HDX go to Cranes and shovels converted to load logs, posting #30 theres a good picture of the first HDX Hayes being loaded by a straight boom on a Lima or Marian loader.

  1341. #1341HDX2014-04-19 22:24

    Yes camptramp That is her alright

  1342. #1342camptramp2014-04-19 23:18

    Bob J. 1989 Checking out his brand new MACK

  1343. #1343camptramp2014-04-19 23:23

    Bob J. 1989 Brand new MACK

  1344. #1344camptramp2014-04-19 23:34

    Bob J. A proud Bob James standing in front of his new 1989 MACK at his home with his name on the door. A lucky MACK got a good home.

  1345. #1345Blk prince2014-04-20 16:16

    Camptramp,I knew most contractors at MacKenzie's and wonder if the name in this post could be Angus Branting rather than Francis. There was a Jook Francis at Nitinat at same time and also had a Hayes.just asking.post 1340.by the way you may know Angus as he is or was part of Quality Box south of Duncan

  1346. #1346HDX2014-04-20 20:13

    J Francis 4th Ave Extension Ladysmith BC bought a new HDX 30-80 July 1959 and Pallister bought a new 36 Ton Hayes trailer same time,These were built at the same time so serial numbers are in order

  1347. #1347Blk prince2014-04-20 21:12

    More good guys from Ladysmith who owned and operated their own Hayes loggers for Comcx Logging were Roy McCartenay,John Loudon,Gerry Lytton,Ken Thomson,Ralph Noye. There were a few more but would be under the Kenworth thread.

  1348. #1348camptramp2014-04-20 23:57

    You are correct the name is Angus Branting. Was it owned by a Francis prior to Branting owning it?

  1349. #1349Blk prince2014-04-21 00:25

    Camptramp,as far as I know,Angus bought his truck from Tom MacKenzie, I do not know how many trucks Tom had. One of his drivers was Buck Davis. Jook Francis passed away at any early age,his son Tom took over his truck

  1350. #1350camptramp2014-04-21 00:40
  1351. #1351Blk prince2014-04-21 00:59

    Camptramp,you are right as Buck was father of Cliff,Lennie and Lorrie-ann. As for Tom,he kept his truck in Nitinat and had a driver on it and he went to camp for awhile then ended up at NWBay form MB

  1352. #1352camptramp2014-04-21 23:17

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake Some day's you fight the weather.

  1353. #1353camptramp2014-04-21 23:24

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake Some day's the trucks safer at home March 1990.

  1354. #1354camptramp2014-04-21 23:45

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake

  1355. #1355camptramp2014-04-21 23:48

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake Helicopter Logging.

  1356. #1356camptramp2014-04-21 23:59

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake.

  1357. #1357camptramp2014-04-22 00:09

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake.

  1358. #1358camptramp2014-04-22 00:24

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake.

  1359. #1359camptramp2014-04-22 00:27

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake. Sometimes a guy's got to take his best friend along for a ride.

  1360. #1360camptramp2014-04-22 22:55

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake

  1361. #1361camptramp2014-04-22 23:10

    Bob J Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake Heli-Logging.

  1362. #1362camptramp2014-04-22 23:21

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake

  1363. #1363camptramp2014-04-22 23:40

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake

  1364. #1364camptramp2014-04-23 00:17

    RB Auction Chemainus 2008

  1365. #1365camptramp2014-04-23 00:20

    RB Auction Chemainus 2008

  1366. #1366camptramp2014-04-23 00:23

    RB Auction Chemainus 2008 HDX I'm pretty sure this HDX Hayes is ex BCFP #6-232

  1367. #1367camptramp2014-04-23 00:27

    RB Auction Chemainus 2008 HDX I'M pretty sure this HDX Hayes is ex BCFP #6-244

  1368. #1368camptramp2014-04-23 00:31

    RB Auction Chemainus 2008 HDX I know these P510 Pacifics are ex BCFP #6-280 #6-281 #6-282 #6-283

  1369. #1369HDX2014-04-23 22:22

    camptramp Post 1366 First picture --Truck is down in Sarita with us Not being used but could be on the road in a couple days if needed I have her original number here somewhere Second picture --She WAS 40-98 then became Leroy's H16 now down in Sarita sitting awaiting her future maybe Blk prince knows a little of her history. Post 1367 is indeed 6-232 Pre Load-- Was rebuilt by Leroys and then bought at the auction by Mt Sicker They repowered her and she is their prime off highway low bed working out of Cameron Division. It was her hauling the grapple yarder that did the face plant thing in the Cameron Yard a while back. Post 1368--I have her number somewhere also--She was bought and then low bedded to Campbell River then cut up!!! She was bought only for the narrow track rear ends I traded some stuff and got her cab and oil cooler and some other things. Cab will be restored and installed on a truck I have in mind !!!! I talked to Mike Cross and he remembered installing a fresh air thing in her because she was pretty well a dedicated push truck in the end. Does this ring any bells with you? There is a 3-4 inch hole cut into the back top of the roof for a hose for the fresh air thingee. Hole will be welded up and sanitized when she gets done LOL

  1370. #1370Blk prince2014-04-23 22:52

    Good evening.40-98 was delivered new to Nitinat along with 40-99 which became 40-100 due to conflict with ambulance call. Both trucks came with"silver-92" Detroit and Allison 60-61 with two speed Cotta aux. they replaced 40-87 & 40-92 both of which took the deep six of the barge outside Fair Harbour.

  1371. #1371camptramp2014-04-23 23:37

    Bob J. Pacific Logging Mesachie Lake

  1372. #1372camptramp2014-04-23 23:43

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake Timberwest bought out Pacific Logging's private lands timber holdings in the late 1990's as Bobs truck is being dumped a Shoal I. DLS I assume Bob was contracting for Timberwest when these pictures were taken.

  1373. #1373camptramp2014-04-23 23:53

    Bob J. R. James Trucking on the back of first picture is " Old MACK " '99 I think Bob is buying a new truck.

  1374. #1374camptramp2014-04-24 00:08

    Bob J. R. James Trucking " New MACK " '99

  1375. #1375camptramp2014-04-24 00:15

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake

  1376. #1376camptramp2014-04-24 23:51

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake

  1377. #1377camptramp2014-04-25 00:02

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake

  1378. #1378camptramp2014-04-25 00:10

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake Rich Neva's Kenworth

  1379. #1379camptramp2014-04-25 00:19

    Bob J. Timberwest Mesachie Lake dumping at Shoal Island DLS

  1380. #1380camptramp2014-04-25 00:43

    Bob J. R. James Trucking Duncan B.C.

  1381. #1381camptramp2014-04-26 00:14

    Norie Brothers Logging MACK from St. Laurance Seaway at Coply's shop Cobble Hill

  1382. #1382camptramp2014-04-26 00:19

    Chris and Peggy Whittaker have let us share these pictures of Norie Brothers Logging.

  1383. #1383camptramp2014-04-26 00:34

    C&P W Norie Brothers Logging View attachment 117853

  1384. #1384camptramp2014-04-26 00:36

    C&P W Norie Brothers Logging View attachment 117854

  1385. #1385Born2clearcut2014-04-26 08:54

    At Jackson Bros logging we had Madill 009 mounted on the back of one these Macks from the St.Lawrence seaway . It was great on move days, it made good time and no lowbedding

  1386. #1386Sigurd2014-04-26 13:40

    Camptramp, do you have any details about engine/drivetrain and payload of these Macks in post 1382?

  1387. #1387camptramp2014-04-26 19:11

    I'll get more details from Chris and let you know.

  1388. #1388camptramp2014-05-01 00:23

    HDX helped me get on you tube to check out " Jordan River Logging " do those 10 home movies put on video's bring back memories . The first one is the log dump,booming ground's . the first one shows them dumping a load , its all business as usual, the next scenes show a lot of dredging going on. If you look at what looks like a big slide in the back ground, it is sorta. Cowichan Copper had a copper mine at Jordan R. the opening to the entrance of the mine over looked the Jordan River. I can't remember if it was 1963 or 1964 , but some how the miners tunneled under the Jordan R. upstream and managed to open up the river bed , resulting in as much water from the river entering the tunnel system that it could handle. The water exited the mine through the main entrance washing the side hill down into the booming grounds . That is the scar that you see on the hillside in the back ground . What is the Dry Land Sort today use to be a meadow ,it was filled in with the gravel dredge from the booming grounds.

  1389. #1389TimeLapse2014-05-01 00:33

    I have a super 8mm & 8 mm film projector and can convert to DVD,We can work something out. Message me back,I am in Duncan

  1390. #1390Vigilant2014-05-01 20:01

    I just watched the first of the Jordan River films for now, and it was breathtaking. Loved the music as well. Thanks.

  1391. #1391JDOFMEMI2014-05-01 21:37

    That is two great pictures. Thanks for showing where the drivers earn their pay.

  1392. #1392camptramp2014-05-01 23:05

    Just had a chat with Chris the two MACK logging trucks had V12 Cumins 500 -550 HP with Clark power shift transmissions. They were set up as logging trucks around 1964.

  1393. #1393camptramp2014-05-01 23:54

    Vigilant There are a lot of interesting things in those video's . Notice the hydro lines along the off highway log haul road. That is part of the West Coast Road that runs from Victoria to Port Renfrew , around 1957 BCFP had about 4 or 5 miles of logging road from the Port Renfrew end heading toward Jordan River , CPS had about 12 to 13 miles of logging road heading towards Port Renfrew . Around 1957-58 the Department of Highways linked the two roads together and took possession of BCFP's and CPS'S roads ,creating about 26 miles of gravel road. There must have been some kind of an agreement made between the forest co. and the Dept. of Highways as Harrison logging a contractor for BCFP and CPS continued to use 848 Kenworths and HD Hayes with 10-12 ft bunks on the now West Coast Rd. for a number of years. If you look at the bunks and stakes on CPS'S trucks sometimes the bunks are wide and the stakes are short and the loads are built up . At other times the bunks are narrow and the stakes are taller. The reason for this , is that when the booming grounds at Jordan R. were filled in with gravel ,CPS was allowed to use narrow bunks and cut back their loads on their small off highway logging trucks and haul their logs to a log dump and booming ground at Sooke on a paved highway. The picture of the Department of Transportation and RCMP weighing a loaded off highway logging truck , is at Gordon's Beach about 5 or 6 miles out of Sooke. I can't remember how long CPS hauled their logs to Sooke before the log dump at Jordan R. was dredged , but the pavement sure took a licken. At this time the log haul was supplemented by several contract highway trucks . The ones I remember were Trav and Richie Rankin, 2 Gerald Patterson trucks , Walter Cole , and Bob Lacy .

  1394. #1394Sigurd2014-05-02 04:25

    Thanks a lot Camptramp!

  1395. #1395Vigilant2014-05-02 20:54

    Thanks, Camptramp. Those old movies truly are priceless. I just finished the sixth one, and am watching them in order. There is an old steel-wheeled donkey about 3/4 of the way through which looks somewhat like the old hulk of a steel-wheeled donkey someone found recently in the woods up your way. Good choice of music for the footage when they were moving it: The Nutcracker Suite! ROFL! I also noticed some footage of a Bagley Shovel at work. That is the first time I have ever seen one in motion. The old donkey puncher was priceless, God bless him. It was also nice to watch a sled donkey being moved in Number 2 episode, plus a sled being built in the first one. So much history and lore in these movies. I wish I could have shared these with my dear late father, but who knows? Maybe he is looking over my shoulder from Heaven as I watch. People WORKED back then, as I did when I was young. These days, work seems to be a dirty word for most.

  1396. #1396Vigilant2014-05-02 20:59

    Oh yeah.... nice to watch a hayrack boom working as well. Even so, I still say the Lidgerwood tower skidder was the most beautiful steel monster to ever hit the woods. I strongly suspect that part of Lidgerwood's inspiration came from the design of the McGiffert loader, since they pretty much incorporated a McGiffert with a portable steel tower. Although I never had any desire at all to see anything in California, I do believe I will make the trip to Willits, CA one day to see Number 5 Skidder from Vail, once they set it back up.

  1397. #1397camptramp2014-05-02 23:11

    Vigilant One thing that really stands out is that all of their loading of logs is done with tongs, not a grapple to be seen , by the mid 1960's most logging operations were changing over to using grapples on log loaders ,quite often old grade shovels converted to log loaders and manufacturers such as Washington Iron Works were building grapple log loaders. Loading with tongs in most operations was the exception to the norm. When I started working in the woods at Port Renfrew in Feb. 1966 there were two TL6 Washington Trak Loaders and four Northwest grade shovels converted to grapple log loaders, they had two TL15 Washington Trak Loaders used for yarding short corners and cherry picking new grade right of way that used tongs to load with,by 1969 the tongs were gone and all loading was done with grapples.

  1398. #1398camptramp2014-05-02 23:18

    Vigilant The yarder on steel wheels is crossing the Loss Creek bridge , that was a public road maintained by the Department of Highways at that time. LOL You mentioned work ethic's, did you notice the boom crew at work , after they stowed the logs , they pulled a swifter line across the logs . On that swifter line they threaded enough " Oregon Dogs " to drive one Oregon Dog into each log in the boom with a sledge hammer. My first job in the woods was working on a" Flat Boom" for a Gypo in the summer of 1965 . Driving those Oregon Dogs into a log on water isn't a lot of fun.

  1399. #1399Vigilant2014-05-02 23:54

    Yes sir, I saw the boom crew at work. Looks like a tough way to make a living, but then again, I doubt that many of them would relish the thought of working in the South, cutting pulpwood into six-foot lengths, packing it to the truck and loading it by hand. They stopped buying short wood eventually, because very few people were left who were willing to work that hard. I should have had my head examined. I also noticed the tongs. As you know, many a logger lost a finger or two setting tongs. We referred to 'log loaders' as shovels in Washington State back in the day, and they probably still do. I used to love to watch a seasoned shovel operator at work. Especially on a Model 6 with a Murphy.

  1400. #1400camptramp2014-05-03 00:37

    I totally agree I'd rather work on the boom , I worked on a bundled boom in the spring of 1968 it was quite an enjoyable job compared to the flat booms , a flat boom is made up of individual logs , a bundled boom was made up of bundled logs five bundles wide , a swifter cable was pulled across each row of bundles and one dog like device was driven into one log in each bundle. There was a fellow by the name of Larry Jay who use to run a log loader at Sooke for Pacific Logging , the loader was a Buyciris Erie top on a rubber tire Skagit under carriage , he was unbelievable he would pull into a landing be putting his jacks down talking on the two way radio and grabbing the first log at the same time. I think his load average was around 12 off highway loads a day.

  1401. #1401caycusion2014-05-04 19:41

    went to Seymour inlet for a while.....yah yah I know it's not Vancouver island but close enuff

  1402. #1402caycusion2014-05-04 19:44
  1403. #1403caycusion2014-05-04 19:47
  1404. #1404camptramp2014-05-04 23:26

    Great Pictures caycusion keep up the good work.

  1405. #1405camptramp2014-05-10 00:04

    Blk prince

  1406. #1406caycusion2014-05-10 01:02

    heavy twisters...reid creek b.c.

  1407. #1407caycusion2014-05-10 01:05

    rigging slinger getting some r+r

  1408. #1408BTC2014-05-10 07:59

    Caycusion Is that the "Pride of Seymour" tied up in Tire Swing Bay?? Those Seymour Pics will cause me a sleepless night.

  1409. #1409caycusion2014-05-10 10:17

    yep tireswing bay

  1410. #1410Blk prince2014-05-10 15:32

    Caucusion,great to see a Pacific doing what they do best,pull loads uphill! HDX will jump on this.

  1411. #1411camptramp2014-05-14 01:30

    Ray Livingston Poclain log loader

  1412. #1412RCP572014-05-17 20:09

    I had my models out for some fun today so I took a few pictures of my "tribute trucks". The Hayes is all finished on the outside now with the exception of the M&B decals and hopefully some chrome Hayes ones for the hood. The Malloch KW is 1/10 scale, the M&B Hayes is 1/14. Reg

  1413. #1413Blk prince2014-05-17 20:26

    Just awesome!

  1414. #1414HDX2014-05-17 22:59

    RCP57 Man they look fantastic together VERY close in scale too!!! they both really say a lot about the trucks of BC Thanks for sharing them with everybody on here

  1415. #1415jackd2014-05-17 23:28

    I had an interesting conversation today. I was in Ladysmith and I noticed an immaculate '59 Dodge truck angle parked on 1st Ave. I couldn't help but ask the driver about the truck. We made introductions and he said he was Vic Rowlinson. I smiled and said that I know who you are - even though we've never met. I told him that he used to haul from my Sparmatic side back in the late '70s out in Sproat Lake Division - you drove a green Kenworth. He said all his trucks were always green..... We shared names of people we knew and what had become of them. Another meeting of good old boys from Port Alberni from the forest industry - they're everywhere. Boy, he's done a beautiful job on that restoration - too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

  1416. #1416Blk prince2014-05-17 23:35

    Just like in the old days camera is your best friend, Lol

  1417. #1417caycusion2014-05-17 23:37

    timberstone....Robertson river..they wanted to know if we could finish up then move the yarder.....ummmm....no

  1418. #1418caycusion2014-05-17 23:42
  1419. #1419caycusion2014-05-17 23:54
  1420. #1420caycusion2014-05-18 00:03

    more timberstone...my friends pics of our setting

  1421. #1421caycusion2014-05-18 00:18

    more timberstone...look close you'll see the oper. greasing

  1422. #1422caycusion2014-05-18 00:20
  1423. #1423caycusion2014-05-18 00:33

    some logs and people I have known

  1424. #1424caycusion2014-05-18 00:36
  1425. #1425Vigilant2014-05-18 00:37

    Is that timber in post 1421 second growth, or old growth? In the distance photos, it looks a bit too uniform to be second growth.

  1426. #1426caycusion2014-05-18 00:38

    more logs and loggers I have known

  1427. #1427caycusion2014-05-18 00:40

    second growth by way of fire

  1428. #1428caycusion2014-05-18 00:47

    more logs and loggers I have known....glad I got to see the end of it.

  1429. #1429caycusion2014-05-18 00:51
  1430. #1430caycusion2014-05-18 00:56

    mostly log pics now...and I just remembered this was an equipment forum....

  1431. #1431skadill2014-05-18 01:00

    Wonderful Pictures,Log ones are real great!.Long live the B.C. logger!

  1432. #1432caycusion2014-05-18 01:06
  1433. #1433caycusion2014-05-18 01:09
  1434. #1434caycusion2014-05-18 01:12
  1435. #1435caycusion2014-05-18 01:19
  1436. #1436caycusion2014-05-18 01:22

    more great people and logs.....

  1437. #1437caycusion2014-05-18 01:28
  1438. #1438Born2clearcut2014-05-18 10:58

    1958 BCFP couple of big logs

  1439. #1439caycusion2014-05-18 11:03
  1440. #1440camptramp2014-05-18 23:16

    The first picture is BCFP Harris Creek Woods Foreman Blondie Moxness standing by Fir butt . The second and third picture's are taken at BCFP's Harris Creek camp, Personal Manager Lorn Cameron with his son's Jim left and Rick to the right ,can't remember his daughter's name. If you look at the back ground of the first picture to the left you can see a yellow Dodge Power Wagon that was driven by Grade Foreman Roland Baird, to the right is a red bunk house that would be moved down to the new DLS and camp and would become the Fallers bunk house.

  1441. #1441Blk prince2014-05-18 23:39

    Camptramp,do you remember much about Roland Baird? My wife had uncle from Cobble Hill named Roland Baird,but we thought he was a faller,worked in Renfrew but stayed in camp. He was a brother-in-law to Gordie Braithwaite,General Forman at Franklin and Wes Braithwaite faller at Shawnigan

  1442. #1442caycusion2014-05-18 23:57
  1443. #1443camptramp2014-05-19 01:15

    The Baird family from Port Renfrew were good loggers , Roland Baird was an old time grade shovel operator ,who became a grade foreman at BCFP Bear Cr. camp ,then ran BCFP's rock crusher until he retired. He did have a farm in Cobble Hill which I believe is still in the Baird family. He has a brother Tom Baird and as far as I know still lives in the Shawnigan Lake area he was the Baird of Baird & Johnson a logging contractor. I met another brother Gordon Baird at Sooke River Logging who was their woods foreman. The gray self loader Western Star "Three o Eight Trucking" is Gordy Baird Tom Baird's youngest son. The one thing I remember about Roland Baird was his sense of humor, he was known for his " one liner's". Most I couldn't put on this page. LOL

  1444. #1444caycusion2014-05-19 17:25
  1445. #1445caycusion2014-05-19 17:27

    Honest truth....I witnessed this grouse get tightlined out of mid air...looked like someone blew up a pillow

  1446. #1446caycusion2014-05-19 17:29
  1447. #1447caycusion2014-05-21 21:26
  1448. #14480752014-05-22 00:12

    Looks like they got hit by the same Sunbeam that knocks truck drivers out

  1449. #1449Blk prince2014-05-22 00:28

    Post 1448 not enough wood left to build a campfire!

  1450. #1450caycusion2014-05-23 12:40
  1451. #1451camptramp2014-06-02 00:49

    rwt ,Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay Log Barge entering and loaded at Mooyah Bay

  1452. #1452camptramp2014-06-02 01:19

    rwt , Mooyah Bay

  1453. #1453camptramp2014-06-02 01:24

    rwt Mooyah Bay , note empty logging truck coming up hill and loaded truck going down hill.

  1454. #1454camptramp2014-06-03 01:16

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay

  1455. #1455camptramp2014-06-04 23:44

    rwt Mooyah Bay Taylor & Way

  1456. #1456camptramp2014-06-04 23:46

    rwt Taylor & way Mooyah Bay

  1457. #1457camptramp2014-06-04 23:49

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay

  1458. #1458camptramp2014-06-04 23:53

    rwt Friendly Cove

  1459. #1459camptramp2014-06-05 00:53

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay

  1460. #1460camptramp2014-06-05 00:55

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay the camp

  1461. #1461camptramp2014-06-05 00:58

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay the camp

  1462. #1462camptramp2014-06-05 01:02

    rwt Taylor & Way Mooyah Bay , Planes arriving to take crew to town for time off , when you see Gold River Pulp Mill ,first leg of journey is almost over.

  1463. #1463camptramp2014-06-05 01:04

    rwt Taylor & Way ,heading home for break

  1464. #1464Vigilant2014-06-05 07:36

    Looks like they had about squeezed the last turd out of that old Fargo.

  1465. #1465jackd2014-06-05 08:33

    What airline does the Beaver and Cessna belong to?

  1466. #1466RCP572014-06-05 14:43

    I doubt this is "Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!" but I took these pictures last Saturday while we were unloading fish in Ucluelet. Reg

  1467. #1467DBDLS2014-06-05 16:33

    Just wondering if anyone has any information about the wooden bridge/trestle like structure that crosses Upper Campbell Lake just above the dam. Must have been something to drive a load of logs on in its day. Thanks.

  1468. #1468Blue devil2014-06-05 17:02

    Hey camp tramp that's my dad al burgess , love all old pictures not sure, if I have any bcfp pictures

  1469. #1469Sigurd2014-06-05 17:36

    "Canoeing" on Nimpkish River just below our setting and last pic from top of the hill behind Rumble Beach looking towards Jeune Landing and Quatsino Sound..1968-69

  1470. #1470camptramp2014-06-05 22:23

    Just wondering which posting Al Burgess is in don't recognizance him ,worked with him often over the years.

  1471. #1471camptramp2014-06-05 23:42

    Sorry Blue devil I was having a senior moment , I posted a picture of Al on a Cat from Tom Worths pictures way back . I was out on my nightly walk , when I realized what picture you were looking at . Welcome to HEF ,hope you got some pictures to share , if not enjoy what the crew is posting. Another memory came to me , I think Al had a younger brother Steve that started at Renfrew around the same time , just wondering what became of him ?

  1472. #1472Blue devil2014-06-06 14:41

    Hi there picture was when loading his d8 cat on the low bed two other people were in the picture, if I may ask who you are and how we'll u knew Alex . Thanks will burgess

  1473. #1473Blue devil2014-06-06 14:47

    My uncle steve lives in Victoria has a small construction business has two young girls he never continued to work in the bush , anyway how are u and what are u doing now a days, not sure if u herd about Alex after they retired him

  1474. #1474camptramp2014-06-07 00:20

    rwt Pat Carson Bulldozing PCB Koksilah Div. PCB tower and loader Trav Rankin & Sons log hauling contractor

  1475. #1475camptramp2014-06-07 00:25

    rwt PCB Koksilah Div. looks like their getting a shot of "Termination Dust"

  1476. #1476camptramp2014-06-07 00:27

    rwt PCB Koksilah Div. the new and the old.

  1477. #1477camptramp2014-06-08 01:02

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet Madill grapple yarder coming off and going on to barge.

  1478. #1478camptramp2014-06-09 00:34

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet picturesque country with lots of switch backs

  1479. #1479camptramp2014-06-09 00:45

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet

  1480. #1480camptramp2014-06-09 00:50

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet

  1481. #1481camptramp2014-06-09 01:03

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet up in the nose bleed section

  1482. #1482camptramp2014-06-09 01:16

    rwt PCB Toba Inlet You never know what you will find in the woods , here is a paddle someone has left in the crotch of a tree , and the tree has grown around it.

  1483. #1483camptramp2014-06-10 00:04

    Don Patrick has loaned us some of his pictures to share. WFI Gordon River camp office and shop , equipment is gathered at camp after operation shut down in 1981.

  1484. #1484camptramp2014-06-10 00:17

    Don P WFI Honeymoon Bay DLS and Saw Mill

  1485. #14850752014-06-10 23:01

    Those two old Americans on the left of the picture of the four log loaders. One came to Jeune Landing and the other came to Mahatta River. Ran both of them for a short time. Really strange guarding they had on them. I think they were old grade shovels they converted to log loaders. The one that came to Mahatta is buried up an old spur and Jeune Landings one I can not remember where it went . Scrapped I think or it was the one Steve MacKay took when he left Mahatta

  1486. #1486camptramp2014-06-10 23:20

    The two American loaders with steel snorkles were sold to BCFP one went to Renfrew and became the #16-45 the other went to Caycuse ,that was around 1982. After Fletcher Challenge merged Caycuse and Renfrew Divisions to become Honeymoon Bay operations in 1992 they were sold off as surpluse equipment.

  1487. #1487camptramp2014-06-19 00:55

    Don Patrick Timberwest HBO There was a time in the Forest Industry when the Grade Crew ,Yarding and Loading Crew , the Truck Drivers and DLS Crew were supported by talented Shop Crew of Mechanic's , Welder's and Tireman. In these pictures is Choo Choo one of the best welder's that I know and a very witty and humorous character.

  1488. #1488camptramp2014-06-19 01:01

    Don P Timberwest HBO

  1489. #1489camptramp2014-06-19 01:12
  1490. #1490dirty4fun2014-06-19 05:16

    Good to see some of the shop equipment used to support the timber industry. Thanks for sharing.

  1491. #1491Betelgeuse2014-06-19 08:38

    I live on san juan island and work up on mt dallas over looking Haro strait, victoria, and sidney bc great view of vancouver Is. The island is very beautiful. It has been fun watching the three log barges doin what they do best. But yesterday I saw just south of Sidney heading north what looked be a barge with logging equipment on it. It was hard to say for sure do the the distance and bad binocs but it looked like it had 2 grapple yarders (maybe blue and white), a log loader(looked like madill color), and other misc equip. Anybody know anything about this or can confirm it? Also I can't remember how many written post needed to post pictures? thanks

  1492. #1492Betelgeuse2014-06-19 08:44

    I don't think they were cranes do to what looked like a guy line tower.

  1493. #1493Vigilant2014-06-19 17:00

    Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! ROFL!

  1494. #1494Betelgeuse2014-06-19 23:51

    Never seen ROLF before? what does it stand for?

  1495. #1495HD Mech2014-06-20 00:10

    Rolling On Floor Laughing, I had to ask my daughter.

  1496. #1496boardbysled2014-06-20 00:10

    Seen this picture on a Facebook group today, might be the same equipment your talking about.

  1497. #1497camptramp2014-06-20 00:23

    Don P Timberwest HBO Gordon River Shop early 2000's before the destruction began.

  1498. #1498Vigilant2014-06-20 07:21

    It was meant as humor. Someone kidnapped me years ago and made me watch the movie. It paid off in the long run.

  1499. #1499Betelgeuse2014-06-20 10:35

    duh! I have heard that before. I know it was humor boardbysled-Maybe but the two pieces of equipment that looked like yarders were identical in profile down to the color. But very well could be that barge it was a distance out with binocs that I saw it. when can I post pictures, this is my third post.

  1500. #1500Betelgeuse2014-06-20 10:40

    hah I cant count that was my fourth post:spaz

  1501. #1501caycusion2014-06-21 00:15

    mt hooker....fitting I guess

  1502. #1502Betelgeuse2014-06-21 00:45

    Local Mt. Dallas logging truck Clearing branches to let the big dumpster in to begin remodel

  1503. #1503HDX2014-06-21 10:34

    There must be a flaw in that Toyota! There's no rust on the front bumper. She looks good

  1504. #1504DBDLS2014-06-21 10:44

    Nice to see that Starbucks mug on the hood.

  1505. #1505Betelgeuse2014-06-21 12:20

    Sorry no starbucks here. thats a shell station mug. We dont got no chain stores on the island except gas stations. Sorry about off topic(vancouver Is) pictures. But San Juan Is. is a stones throw away from van. Is.:tong

  1506. #1506Betelgeuse2014-06-21 17:19

    This is the view I get to be amazed by at work every day. In second picture the reference point is sidney, bc behind the little islands. I got a great panoramic view of the south end of the island.

  1507. #1507dirty4fun2014-06-21 21:24

    Sure hate to see you suffering looking a view like that. Man that is pretty!

  1508. #1508Sprengstoff2014-06-21 22:05

    its weird seeing it from that side.

  1509. #1509Sidney432014-06-21 23:43

    Beautiful views from that spot - how windy is it in the winter?

  1510. #1510Betelgeuse2014-06-22 12:08

    It gets pretty windy in the winter and especially windy when its out of the NE coming down out of the Fraiser river valley and that is when we usually get are snow. Always a great view though.

  1511. #1511Betelgeuse2014-06-23 08:53

    So whats the story behind these big log barges? Their colors are red and white. There are two identical ones that I have seen go by. Is it seaspan? How many are still out there? Where are they dumping when they go north (naniamo, Vancouver)? Majority of the time they are going north with a load but I have seen them go south a few times with a significantly smaller load, are they going to victoria? Beautiful Victoria

  1512. #1512dirty4fun2014-07-03 22:56

    Well it has gotten to the point I have to see the island and the logging that is going on out there. I am planning on being there and hope to meet a few of you at Duncan Truck Show. I have about 2500 miles of motorcycle riding to do before I am there. I have been talking with Steve (HDX) about this for a while he is going to show me some of the area from the inside of his truck, while hauling logs. I am looking forward to meeting him and seeing the area. Hopefully catching a ride or with a few other people while there and learning more about the island. See ya there!

  1513. #1513RCP572014-07-03 23:19

    Cool! Have a safe ride! See you at the show. Reg

  1514. #1514dirty4fun2014-07-04 05:47

    Looking forward to meeting a bunch of people, and of course seeing so much out there.

  1515. #1515Blk prince2014-07-04 06:54

    Greetings,when do you head out? Do you have your route planned out? Be safe!

  1516. #1516Sprengstoff2014-07-04 09:32

    When is the truck show?

  1517. #1517RCP572014-07-04 09:58

    July 12th-13th

  1518. #1518donkey doctor2014-07-04 12:32

    And take lots of pictures for us. It's always interesting to see the home turf thru a strangers eyes. Safe trip and hope the weather holds for you. d.d.

  1519. #1519dirty4fun2014-07-04 20:38

    Starting off tomorrow morning, looks like I might get 150 to 200 miles before I hit rain. We have had two days without rain now in a row. Guess it has been conditioning for the Pacific N W. Lot of storms with lots and lots of wind and rain. Last week we had 9" of rain so lots of flooding. Hope to meet up with you dd one place or another.

  1520. #1520Silvio2014-07-07 01:35

    Yes those are Seaspan tugs and barges. Usually they go to Chemainus or Fraser River. Not sure where they would be going south with loads, definitely not Victoria as there are no mills here anymore.

  1521. #1521TimeLapse2014-07-07 10:23

    There is a fee to get in this year, They told me that they are not sure on the price but it will be between 8 and 13 Dollars to get in and would be for both days. They should have had the truck show on the weekend of Canada Day when it was $ 3. I won't be going, But would like to hear what the fee is to get on ,Might go on sunday if the entrance fee is lower,Somebody please let me know the fee . [video=youtube;rmaBaiXttCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmaBaiXttCA[/video]

  1522. #1522RCP572014-07-07 10:31

    Wow really? I can't see anyone wanting to pay $13. That seems crazy to look at a handful of old trucks and some toys. I understand that they need to charge something but I think $2-5 would be more reasonable.

  1523. #1523donkey doctor2014-07-07 10:56

    http://enertelligence.com/bcforestd...ds/2012/07/antique_truck_show_poster_2014.jpg

  1524. #1524RCP572014-07-07 11:09

    Thanks for posting that DD. I guess $8 isn't too bad for both days! I would assume that the rest of the museum will be open too? I hope it is a good turn out this year. I would think that having it at the museum will help draw in some more people.

  1525. #1525TimeLapse2014-07-07 11:37

    I Found this, It has the price to get in at the bottom ​

  1526. #1526DonBC2014-07-07 12:27

    $6 for a senior I can handle even for one day as I will spend more for fuel and ferry to get there and back.

  1527. #1527dirty4fun2014-07-07 23:50

    Hey a reduced rate for me too. I should be on the Island tomorrow if things continue to go good. So far I have gone 2250 miles since Saturday morning. Am west of Banff Park a couple hours. Might have to do a day of standing, once there.

  1528. #1528Blk prince2014-07-08 00:01

    Dirty4fun,good to hear you are doing ok. Hope you had good weather. At the moment temp. Is 75 plus on the island. Travel safe.

  1529. #1529dirty4fun2014-07-08 00:06

    Hope meet up with some of you fellows and hear some stories.

  1530. #1530Doug19662014-07-08 00:41

    Hi Dirty4fun. sounds like an awesome trip. I should be at show on Sunday. From another biker I reccomend this route- straight through Kamloops on Highway 1 to Cache Creek, North on Highway 97 to Highway 99 Junction- Take Highway 99, this will take you through mountains on less busy road. Awesome bike road, lots of twists and turns. Takes you through Whistler, take ferrry from Hourseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, then south down island to Duncan. Enjoy hope to see you at show. Thanks Doug.

  1531. #1531camptramp2014-07-08 01:22

    dirty4fun clear some of your PM's can't get through to you, stay safe enjoy holiday.

  1532. #1532dirty4fun2014-07-08 01:37

    Got rid of a bunch camptramp. Hopefully I will meet up with you, I sent HDX a message so he would be able to meet up with me once I get there tomorrow I hope.

  1533. #1533bccat2014-07-08 02:06

    Doug 1966, I second that route, use it all the time , You miss all that lower mainland traffic, its about a 4-5 hour trip from cache creek to Horseshoe Bay. Ken

  1534. #1534dirty4fun2014-07-08 07:32

    Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you guys. Thanks for the directions to the ferry and great place to ride and miss a bunch of traffic.

  1535. #1535DonBC2014-07-08 13:30

    I also agree with the route they gave you. Beautiful road and scenery, Whistler is not to be missed and avoids the heavy traffic through Vancouver. I don't know what your interests are if you get to the island a couple of days before the show? Take a break from riding, see more stuff, spend time after the show for more touring of the island, etc.,? I am on Gabriola Island which is a ferry ride away from down town Nanaimo if you are looking for a break and a beer.

  1536. #1536TimeLapse2014-07-08 14:01

    Cowichan Bay is a must see also, Only 10 km from the truck show [video=youtube;AoyoSjlqsJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyoSjlqsJ0[/video]

  1537. #1537Blk prince2014-07-08 23:19

    Dirty4fun,have you arrived on the Island?

  1538. #1538dirty4fun2014-07-09 00:49

    I got here this evening, after just missing the ferry. After riding through thr Banff area the day before I thought that was pretty great. I have to say I thought the ride the ride to Whistler was just plain awesome. The best I have ever ridden. I was early so almost no traffic. Thanks for telling me about that way to go! I met up with HDX what a prince of a guy. I am riding with him for a few days. Man I am so happy to see this all finally come together. Looking forward to chatting with as many of you as I can. Time to hit the bed for a little sleep.

  1539. #1539TimeLapse2014-07-09 11:02

    Hello Dirty 4 fun Can you post some videos of your trip.

  1540. #1540Vigilant2014-07-09 22:01

    Back in the summer of 1972, I spent several days on vacation with my family in Johnson's Canyon, just outside of Banff. Truly an awesome place, but you dared not venture outside after about 5 PM. I have NEVER seen such horrible mosquitoes.

  1541. #1541Hank R2014-07-09 22:44

    You guys are so lucky to be there we have company from Sicamous, arriving tonight so I am messed up for a road trip.

  1542. #1542dirty4fun2014-07-10 00:22

    No videos but will try to post pictures when or if I decide to go home. Rode with HDX today up to the top of the mountain and back. What a great day and the scenery is awesome. Met a few of his coworkers and everyone made me feel so very welcome.

  1543. #1543dirty4fun2014-07-13 09:05

    Back to Duncan in hopes of meetingmeeting a few more people, then sadly saying see you later to a great bunch of new found friends. Never be able to HDX Steve for the invite out here. You people made me feel like family. Hard to leave family and quite tough to type with my eyes leaking! You are all special..

  1544. #1544Vigilant2014-07-13 14:17

    I envy you, Mister Dirty. Some day, when time permits, I hope to make that same trip. What you are seeing truly is God's country.

  1545. #1545HDX2014-07-14 00:34

    Well all is almost back to normal after a great week here. To be honest I never knew what to expect when dirty4fun arrived in town! This guy was just a fantastic stand-up guy. First morning when we got in the "Berry Picker" van at 4:45 AM to drive down to Sarita where all the trucks are parked and he met some of the guys and it just got better from there. He lives up to his handle very well. Just always trying to help! I never met a guy so willing to jump into a situation and get dirty then stand there with a big grin on his face, didn't matter if it was grabbing a haulback strap or rolling the as#-hole out of a grapple line on the super snorkel. Then we met up with RCP57 and his wife Kim and the fun just got better. All this is going on 65 miles from any city or other people. It was just one of those times you wish would never end!!! It takes a lot of something for a guy to jump on his motorcycle and drive all the way from Illinois to downtown Port Alberni just to get dirty. I could not make the Duncan Truck Show but when he got back last night(he rode down with Jim Falconer in the off-highway Hayes dump truck) that ever present huge grin was still there, only he had a ton more good friends that he was able to put face's to. Travel Safe Jim and keep the tranny in lock-up!!!! Thanks From all of us up here for allowing us to share with you what we have!!

  1546. #1546dirty4fun2014-07-14 00:42

    Last day Canada, was another good time. Camptramp took time to share some of his knowledge with me and show me how to braid a loop into a cable. Got a chance to look at some more retired logging equipment and truck. Enjoyed watching the big boys playing in the sand, and chat a little more with Reg. Then off to Victoria and a ferry ride to the states. Going to miss my new found friends, and a beautiful piece of God's country that they are so lucky to live in!! Thanks for sharing it with me.

  1547. #1547dirty4fun2014-07-14 01:15

    Looks like you were typing while I was, HDX. Thanks for the kind words coming from you makes it very special. I looked up the word Special in the dictionary, you know what I found? A picture of you Steve, because you are just that, very special!!!! When you told me to come there, and that you the pro would let me ride with you. I thought no way will this ever happen, not to me. Little did I know what all you could line up for me to see and people to ride with. Then getting to drive H 17 was just way to muchmuch tto believe. I will never be able to thank you enough, till we meet again, my new found special friend!!!!

  1548. #1548RCP572014-07-14 01:18

    Yes it was a great week! I can honestly say that I never thought my wife and I would be shown a great camping spot by a tour guide driving an HDX Hayes!lol The timing of our trip worked out great as we were able to meet HDX and dirty4fun at the same time, on the same road, in the same cloud of dust! The fun continued from there with some more interaction with those two and a couple of the other IPL boys. It was cool for Kim and I to see the super snorkel loading trucks up close and it was quite the motorcycle ride down the hill behind H17. Those trucks really get worked on those switchbacks! Yesterday and today were great too, as a few of the other fellows from on here made the trip to the ATHS show to introduce themselves and check out the miniature side of things. Thanks to all of you and I hope to see you again soon. I would bet money that dirty4fun did not expect to drive two Hayes' this week... one very large and one very small. Hayesno1, I'm sorry that I didn't get to talk with you more. I had really hoped too thank you in person for all the pictures and drawings that helped me get going on my KW850 model. I kinda got bombarded with questions from other people and when I finally got free you were gone. Jim(dirty4fun), now that you have a bunch of new friends here there is no reason to be a stranger. I think the next show we attend with our RC's will be Port Alberni at the end of next month. Hopefully I will see some of you there! Thanks again for a great week! Reg PS, I have a few pictures and videos from the weeks activities that I will post in a few days!

  1549. #1549Sigurd2014-07-14 05:03

    Does any on here know about this pic, is it real or manipulated? Great to hear about Dirty4fun and others, you are real enthusiasts!!

  1550. #1550HDX2014-07-14 11:24

    Really nice picture load Not photo shopped just a nice well loaded shot. Extremely flat ground no leans or you would have been able to grease the underside of the truck easily. Great picture

  1551. #1551Hank R2014-07-14 11:37

    I am guessing that this load would be 150 tons or better, I am probably wrong...

  1552. #1552Vigilant2014-07-14 11:43

    Looks like old-growth cedar. If so, I believe that load would have been worth a small fortune.

  1553. #1553HDX2014-07-14 21:28

    No Hank not 150 tons Remember its cedar depending on where it came from the weight will change. Easily 150 meters of wood on her though im thinking probably closer to 160 meters maybe DBDLS could give a better number. Wherever that load came from it was flat ground and no leans in the road because its still on her feet The problem with these high loads is when the stacker tries to unload them or push the load off the logs take a beating and usually get busted up and split thus devaluing them

  1554. #1554Blk prince2014-07-14 21:56

    Any ideas as to location? See power lines in back ground

  1555. #15550752014-07-14 22:07

    Port McNeill Div and it is real. That picture hangs in many offices up here. It was loaded in the 70"s if I am not mistaken, so it was dumped loose at the A frame. If you see the whole picture you would see another truck behind this one with a nearly as large load.

  1556. #1556Hank R2014-07-14 22:27

    075 Thanks for the rest of the story. A very impressive load and I am sure the driver was relieved when it got unloaded.

  1557. #1557Blk prince2014-07-14 23:27

    I wish to inform all that one of the really good guys is gone. Dan Wickham passed away on Tuesday July 08. There will be a Celebration of Life on Saturday August 09 in the Main Hall at the Cowichan Exibition Grounds across from the Chevron card lock north of Duncan.Time is 1 to 4 PM.

  1558. #1558Sigurd2014-07-15 07:03

    Thanks for great info HDX and 075, you see this pic showed up at Facebook here and some guys commented it as Bs, but now i know its real! In my time over there i did not see loads like this but then i didnt see them all.....

  1559. #1559HDX2014-07-15 11:40

    It is without a doubt one of if not the biggest load I have seen for an awful long time. Would be hard pressed to find another of the same size. If there is/was maybe post it!!! I take my hat off to that driver cause I know what he was thinking the whole time LOL Maybe we could start a "Picture Load" thread for fun

  1560. #1560RCP572014-07-15 20:38

    Here's a few shots from our camping trip last week... The fun started with following HDX to a sweet camping spot... After the boys left for the day my wife and I rode my motor bike to the top of the hill just to check out the view. Without the logging roads and a clear cut my wife and I would have never shared this view!.... The next afternoon we were able to watch some of the action from a safe distance... Thanks again Steve for a good couple of days. My wife was telling her co-workers about the great time we had watching you guys. I guess they don't have the same interests as us because she said they just looked at her and you could hear crickets. Oh well, I guess we are simple people and easily entertained!lol I have a few more pictures and some video if anyone wants me to post it. Reg

  1561. #1561Blk prince2014-07-15 20:56

    Yes yes yes,please do!

  1562. #1562Blk prince2014-07-15 20:58

    HDX,is that loader an American and does it have a steel snorkel? Only wood whenI got to play.

  1563. #1563dirty4fun2014-07-15 21:23

    Reg. If you don't post them you better not show your face again. Besides the pictures are great, helps having a good camera. Oh yeah the camera man has a lot to do with the great picturpictures. Thanks for sharing! Black prince. I think the loader was a Cypress, with a steel boom that will extend. I road 600 miles today with only the first 1.5 hours on the interstate. Even rode a few miles of real rough gravel. Made to Wilson WY. for lunch. They have the best huevous rancheros I have ever eaten. Been having them there for 30 years. Was.going to go farther north but a storm started building fast. Then the temperature dropped, a quick turn around and headed east. Stayed a head of it pulled off the road and watched it pour just north of me. Two people said there was 1.5" hail so lucked out again. Am in Casper WY sure can tell that there is an oil boom around.

  1564. #1564Blk prince2014-07-15 21:34

    RCP57,there you go,another country heard from. 2 votes for more pictures! Hello Jim, good to hear from you. Sounds like the trip is going well. At this pace when will you be home? Are you taking a bit more time going as compared to your trip out to our land?

  1565. #1565RCP572014-07-15 22:19

    dirty4fun, I'm glad to hear you are doing well! Sounds like you are enjoying the trip home and hopefully planning the next trip back to Sarita. Since I have 2 votes, here are some more pictures. I believe Kim took all but 3 of these pictures so the credit must go to her. I think I was busy getting a lesson about running a super snorkel... More to come....

  1566. #1566dirty4fun2014-07-15 22:44

    Thanks for posting Kim's excellent pictures. That was when you were giving Glen some pointers on how to operate a log loader, right! Got to a motel covered the bike and watched the storm roll in. Cut that just a little bit to close. Will see what the weather is like tomorrow and try to stay dry. It had rained here before I arrived, when I stopped at the intersection the street was so oily my feet kept slipping. It would not have looked very good to lay my Goldwing down. Talk about a slow steady take off and turn. No plans for a return to Sarita but if the Lord is willing you can bet I will be back. Next time I hope to see you and your dad's boat Reg. Never knew that there were so many really nice people in one place, so I will be back. It was tough to leave but will be easy to return!!!

  1567. #1567RCP572014-07-15 22:44

    ...continued

  1568. #1568Blk prince2014-07-15 23:07

    Nice job! Looks like a ride on Lowbed coming up.

  1569. #1569RCP572014-07-15 23:23

    Haha, I don't think I was giving any pointers! I had my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut until I was spoken to! Glenn was great though and he makes the job look easy. If you make it back, I would love to show you around the fishing side of things. Don't be fooled about everyone being so nice. We all have bad days, you just happened to arrive when we were all happy.lol a few more pictures...

  1570. #1570dirty4fun2014-07-15 23:52

    More great pictures, thanks. Glen makes it look pretty easy. Looking forward to seeing the fishing side also. I will take my chances that everyone will be in a tolerable mood. After all I bring out only the best in people!

  1571. #1571Len Burton2014-07-16 03:43

    Do you know who was standing with three kids in front of truck 191 ?????

  1572. #1572Sigurd2014-07-16 15:40

    009 yarder with engineer Emil Pazarena,hooker Rich Anderson, Hank and me as chokermen and Dan Ware chaser up in the pile

  1573. #1573camptramp2014-07-16 22:29

    Which posting # Len. If you were looking at posting #1439 Lorne Cameron who use to be personal manager at Harris Creek is standing there with his children Jimmy , Rick and Wendy.

  1574. #1574Blk prince2014-07-16 22:46

    Dirty4fun,how is trip home going today?

  1575. #1575caycusion2014-07-16 23:24

    ohhh man...people need to get out more

  1576. #1576caycusion2014-07-16 23:26

    it's a snorkel and a log truck.....replayed day in day out.

  1577. #1577Len Burton2014-07-17 02:52

    Can anyone tell me if this is Bill Hewlett and his kids David, Donna and Mark ???????

  1578. #1578dirty4fun2014-07-17 07:35

    Home what a long day, but made it, so I can do it again another day. After being chased by the storm the night before into Casper WY. Got up early as I always do, and started riding. Light rain but not bad, after the first stop for gas I put on my rain pants as the skies were getting darker instead of brighten from the sun rising. All total it was either raining or wet pavement for 400 miles, thankfully I have good rain gear. Oh when I put on my rain pants I put on my heated jacket. Makes things nice and warm while riding, even thou the day was wet. Stopped at Cabela's in Sidney WY picked up a couple pairs of shorts and stretched the legs. It was cool most of the way home after riding in 104 degree temps. the day before. Jacket felt good so it made for nice riding. Once I got to Iowa I figured I might as well keep going thou my rear end was getting kind of tender. I hate riding at night but with only two hours from home continued on, put on the heated jacket again. Just as well pamper myself. Got back to my shop where I keep the bike and my truck. Went in only to see my work truck was gone, my friend a mechanic had said he would work on the steering. You don't drive it you wander from one side of the road then back. No problem my good truck is there. Unloaded the junk out of the bike into the good truck, to head to my place. Of course the only keys I have for my place are in the work truck. Since my place is a toy hauler camper, I had not locked the rear ramp. Dropped that down turned on the lights, in that part. The TV is on hinges so you can watch TV in the back part, also. Had to crawl through that hole to get into the living room to push the buttons to open the slides. Turn on the water heater and hit the bed. Total riding for Wednesday 1051 miles total for the trip 5300 miles. I want to thank everyone who made it a point to meet me one more time. You guys are the greatest, that and seeing everything made it the best vacation I have had. In many ways I wish I had stayed longer, part of the reason was I had construction work for others to do. That and I knew if I stayed much longer I wouldn't go home. When Steve had said you might like it so well you wouldn't want to go home boy was he ever right. It sure is beautiful country there, but the warmth of the people is the part that makes it all so special. Thank you once again Steve for inviting me out to ride with him, and see the logging equipment. Oh I will be back again, to see all my new found friends!

  1579. #1579RCP572014-07-17 09:18

    I'm glad to hear that you made it home safe Jim! Wow 1051 miles in one day...OUCH! Be sure to post whatever pictures and video you took while you were here too. Reg

  1580. #1580Scott_5272014-07-17 15:51

    RCP57, Love those pictures of the 7230 snorkel. Looks like the former Teal Jones 7230 on the logging accidents thread!

  1581. #1581camptramp2014-07-17 22:25

    My same thoughts . The 7230 was bought by Timberwest HBO Div.from Wyco could have been Albernie area ,and rebuilt it, it was sold to Teal Jone's as part of TFL #46. IPL took possesion of it when they became principle contractor of HBO for Teal Jone's . When IPL pulled out of HBO TFL #46 , they took all the equipment including the 7230 with them to Western Forest .

  1582. #1582camptramp2014-07-17 22:32

    Standing Lorne Cameron with children Jim , Wendy and Rick. Lorne was Personal Manager at the Harris Creek Camp where this picture was taken. If you look to the back ground on the right you can see a Red bunk house that would be moved down to the new DLS and become the Fallers bunkhouse.

  1583. #1583DonBC2014-07-18 01:01

    dirty4fun, I am glad that you made it home ok. 1051 miles is a long time in the saddle for one day. I guess you caught a little "homeitis" which can be a little risky no matter what you are driving or flying. A friend and I rode to the show on Sunday and I met CampTramp working on cable spices. He said that you had been there helping him about an hour or two before. I have no background in the logging industry so this site is very interesting reading.

  1584. #1584dirty4fun2014-07-18 20:34

    DonBC I grew up on a farm in IL. and had no idea that the equipment that is shared here with so many pictures was around. Many people here have taken time to explain and give me details. I asked so many questions that were always answered, and then one day HDX told me I should come see what it is all about. The rest has made for the best vacation I have ever had, even thou it was short. So much to see and learn, so I just will have to come back for a refresher and to see a few more things I didn't get to see this time. Don't think I have ever met so many truly nice caring people. Not sure how much help I was to camptramp, but it sure was interesting to see how he braided in a loop in a cable. Sorry we didn't meet but I will be back and next time spend more time in the area. The last 120 miles home were not much fun, as I hate riding in the dark. You will never meet a great bunch of guys that are on this forum!

  1585. #1585Len Burton2014-07-19 02:39

    Thanks it just looked like someone I knew a long time ago.

  1586. #1586Vigilant2014-07-19 12:08

    Glad you made the trip and saw it first-hand. I just have one question: Did you wear the same clothes coming back, or perhaps a pair of stagged off britches, a hickory shirt and suspenders?

  1587. #1587dirty4fun2014-07-19 13:48

    I wore the same pants to and back thou did make use of the laundry at a couple motels. Hard to know what to pack and not much room, either. The hardest part is not knowing what the weather was going to be, so had a little stuff I didn't need but that was ok, meant that the weather was great.

  1588. #1588Vigilant2014-07-19 15:17

    I was implying that you might have swapped yer street clothes for traditional loggers' attire. Again, for what it's worth, I'm glad you got to see it real, and in person.

  1589. #1589dirty4fun2014-07-19 22:07

    I knew where you were headed, I already have a couple sets of suspenders, for my nail apron. The reason I left was I was afraid of being turned down for a job. The people, the beauty of the area all made it tough to leave, but I need to get the jobs here done, so I can go back and enjoy the island once again.

  1590. #1590dirty4fun2014-07-20 20:26

    I picture of the man who made my trip possible HDX Steve thanks so very much. What a great fellow who I feel privileged to have, meet here on this chat site. He invited me out and I gladly accepted, having no idea I would meet so many friendly people. While it was only for a few days it will happen again and for a much longer time, to see all my new friends!

  1591. #1591Vigilant2014-07-20 20:30

    ^^^ Priceless. :thumbsup:

  1592. #1592Blk prince2014-07-20 21:29

    Dirty4fun,all back to normal now? This picture is a first for me. All the years of knowing Steve,bever seen him without a hat Lol

  1593. #1593Betelgeuse2014-07-22 09:06

    I see this barge and its sister barge goin up and down haro strait all the time. nice to be able to see it up close instead through the binocs.

  1594. #1594Len Burton2014-07-23 01:47

    Great pics tripping the log barge.

  1595. #1595Len Burton2014-07-23 01:52

    Here are a few that I took up the coast a few years back. They were using the old Queen of Tsawassen as a floating bunkhouse and helicopter logging the sidehills.

  1596. #1596Len Burton2014-07-23 03:03

    Here are a few pics that I took of the camp at the end of Toba Inlet at the mouth of the Toba river. I anchored overnight at the bottom of Toba Inlet.

  1597. #1597HDX2014-07-26 11:09

    Well you guys-- Yesterday is a day that I wont forget-- Blk prince RETIRED !!!! Just pulled the pin!!! Did his 50 years in the industry and went home. Two life sentences in the forest industry and still in usable condition! Well Done Ian!!! Enjoy a Happy Retirement. Now you got lots of time to go look for more pictures to entertain us all LOL

  1598. #1598Vigilant2014-07-26 11:44

    Congrats, Prince! Hopefully you got some retirement benefits as well. Stay active, and live long!

  1599. #1599Hank R2014-07-26 11:46

    All the best to you, enjoy life, I pulled the pin 4 years ago this month and now I wonder how I had time for work.

  1600. #1600Blk prince2014-07-26 12:44

    Thanks guys. Small bucket list to do,one of which is ride along in an HDX. Hope to see more faces to put to a few names. Thanks again.

  1601. #1601Vigilant2014-07-26 13:50

    Pics or it didn't happen! ROFL!

  1602. #160269hayes2014-07-26 17:17

    As they say on Star Trek, Live Long and Prosper , Happy Retirement Blk prince

  1603. #1603dirty4fun2014-07-26 22:05

    Congratulations on retiring enjoy it you deserve it. Let me warn you about riding with HDX, he will spoil you and you will want to be a passenger for a lot of trips. Which is ok till I get there the nest time, by then it will hopefully be my turn. You will enjoy it, a bunch!

  1604. #1604Blk prince2014-07-27 02:20

    Dirty4fun, have no fear Jim. Your ride is safe. For me this would be like going home after 40yrs. I started out on the real trucks in 1972. Lost my last one in 1980. So this would complete the circle. Lol

  1605. #1605diamondtguy2014-07-27 12:35

    Congrats Blk Prince........I have going for a ride in a P-16 or HDX on my bucket list as well...3 gear blurps back and forth to the paint shop at Pacific just weren't enough......Cory

  1606. #1606Blk prince2014-07-27 16:49

    Thanks Corey. You have done something most of us will never do and that is to drive the "Big guys" on a Vancouver street. That would be awesome. Never happen now.

  1607. #1607Hank R2014-07-27 16:56

    I have only moved a P-12 around Fred's yard a few times, and maybe 1 hr of seat time. Drove 10 to 15 different P-10's, at the time it was not a big deal. Now just a memory.

  1608. #1608jackd2014-07-27 17:28

    Many happy years of good health in your retirement. Hopefully when I retire from working in Vancouver, I can come and join you at the Forest Museum on volunteer days. Think of all the time you can spend there now. I just realized by reading these threads that I actually spent time behind the wheel of many of the HDX's back in the day, when I was a shop sweeper at M & B Sproat Lake Division. The old lead hand - Doug Clark - figured I needed a break from my routine and showed me how to fire them up, build up my air and how not to hit anything. No air ticket, no bugger all license. I guess he liked me. I would drive the recently dumped trucks around the yard to the 'A' frame and put the trailers on the trucks and then park them. You wouldn't see that in this day and age. I guess I can also claim to have driven the J-88 Sparmatic after my final tower down - I got laid off permanently that day. Now I just get to taxi airliners around after maintenance events - to be allowed to run them you have to be able to taxi them. Somehow I remember the trucks as being more fun....

  1609. #1609Hank R2014-07-27 18:42

    Seems like we are on the road tests, I got my son to put this on You-tube, because this old boy does not know how. The Ultimate test drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLgZwcWe8Q&feature=email There are 3 more parts to it I will post in Pacific trucks.

  1610. #1610Len Burton2014-08-01 03:21

    I'm not quite sure where this fits in but for those on facebook check out logging-rigging men and timber fallers. There is some awesome pictures on this page.

  1611. #1611Hayesno12014-08-03 04:24

    This summer I went to Campbell River. I camped at Elk Falls Provencial Park. Nice place. Girls had to do the laundry and some shopping so I had a few hours for my self. I went to Dennis Dystant Trucking shop. I went into the office and ask for permission to take some pictures of an Hayes HDX and a KW that were parked in their yard. Sorry I can't remember the young mans name but he said: You can take all the Pictures you want but back in the shop we have an Hayes HDX that was being rebuild. So I followed him into the shop and there was a 1972 Hayes HDX with 120.000 rears. They were doing a hell of a job. She will look like new when she leaves the shop. Suddenly a man came out from a small room. It was Dennis Dystant himself. It was a pleasure meeting him. We did some BS-ing... DD has 3 Hayes HDX and 8-9 off highway KW in operation. Thank you Dennis for taking your time speaking with me and let me take pictures of your equipment in your yard and shop. Here some pics I took.

  1612. #1612Hayesno12014-08-03 04:31

    More pics from Dennis Dystant Trucking...

  1613. #1613Hayesno12014-08-03 04:42

    More pics from Dennis Dystant Trucking...

  1614. #1614Hayesno12014-08-03 04:53

    More pics from Dennis Dystant Trucking...

  1615. #1615dirty4fun2014-08-03 06:18

    Good score at Dennis's place, looks like I might have another place to do some looking around next time. Great pictures and sure good to hear he is rebuilding the HDX.

  1616. #1616Hank R2014-08-03 09:02

    Looks like it was a great stop for you Thanks for the pictures.

  1617. #1617Hayesno12014-08-03 13:27

    Thanx dirty4fun and Hank R. For sure Campbell River is allways a visit worth if you are looking for heavy logging equipment.

  1618. #1618dirty4fun2014-08-03 20:25

    Will sure be going there next time, as I sure like what you have been able to find there.

  1619. #1619RCP572014-08-06 15:59

    Does anyone have any really good pictures of a new "happy face" 1400x25?....You all know why I am looking for this.... Thanks

  1620. #1620HDX2014-08-06 18:48

    There is two of them mounted in my garage Saving them for something big in the future LOL If nobody post I will

  1621. #1621HDX2014-08-06 18:53

    First trailer in post 1615 was an ex Hayes Forest 60 ton trailer Be interesting to see what the "M" number is or was on it. The second one might be also

  1622. #1622RCP572014-08-06 18:55

    Only two? What about the other sixteen?lol

  1623. #1623<3 FaT TrUcKs2014-08-12 16:52

    Hi, I'm New Greetings to All! I am new to the forum and also new to trucks and heavy equipment; however, I am not new to Vancouver Island. I've scrolled through every page of this thread and continue to look back; what an amazing collection! I am becoming more and more fascinated; so much to learn. Thank you everyone for sharing! I'm looking forward to gathering some material myself and sharing this with you in the near future. Hayesno1, Excellent photos! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in Campbell River. I have a photo to share with you... another Dennis Dystant KW... Loaded. Enjoy! :waving Thanks again, ~Meg

  1624. #1624Blk prince2014-08-12 20:59

    3FatTrucks welcome. Can you fill in the blanks. Where was truck loaded and unloaded and when. Small details are always the ones that lead to big news.lol.

  1625. #1625Jumbo2014-08-12 21:30

    I just want to see the arm of the person who tossed the wrappers.... I knew a second loader once when he had an off hiway truck, just pulled out about 50' of very heavy fishing line with a small weight and tossed it first. An other second loader I knew just tossed the wrapper in the same situation, of course he had callouses on his arm from where his knuckles drug on the ground. He was built like a gorilla and ate like one also. His lunch consisted or 2 quarts of coffee, a 10 can stick of snoose and a cup of yogurt (his healthy eating habit.)

  1626. #1626Blk prince2014-08-12 22:47

    I have seen this personally. The fine fellow driving the H-17 still throws his wrappers himself. Of course this can be difficult in close quarters but he does "git er dun"

  1627. #1627<3 FaT TrUcKs2014-08-13 20:17

    I didn't take the photo myself; I took it off my neighbor's (the driver's) fridge, lol. He gave me permission to scan and post. He told me this was Summer 2013, about 13 Km from Knox Bay (where it was unloaded), W. Thurlow Island, not far North from CR. It's funny you mention "throwing the wrappers," because after I saw the video below on You Tube, I asked about that. He told me the loader does it; "No one throws the wrappers." Then I mentioned the video and he said, "Must have been a highway truck," and I told him, "No it's a Hayes HDX," (H-17). I still need to show him the video. [video=youtube;oaLFmKI_Inc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaLFmKI_Inc[/video]

  1628. #1628cubanator2014-08-15 19:59

    That's awesome! I'm 30 and drove log truck for the first time a few weeks ago and had a hell of a time throwing wrappers over 14'... lol But I am only 5'4" tall too! Old boy knew what he was doing!

  1629. #1629Hank R2014-08-15 20:17

    I know of several guys here that have blew the shoulder out throwing wrappers. It is a skill in itself.

  1630. #1630<3 FaT TrUcKs2014-08-15 21:40

    Indeed quite impressive! It is my understanding that he's been driving that truck from new in 1975.

  1631. #1631dirty4fun2014-08-16 05:36

    Steve has been driving the HDX 17 since new in 1975. I rode with him a month ago in that truck, when with him it turned over 622K miles. The truck looks great, and he wipes off the dust in between loads. One prince of a fellow with more knowledge of trucks and who had them than you can believe one man could know. It is his baby and will be going home with him when he retires, as it should.

  1632. #1632Hayesno12014-08-17 04:31

    Welcomes aboard 3FaT Trucks. Looking forward to see more pictures from CR area.... Allways interesting stuff around

  1633. #1633Hayesno12014-08-17 16:32

    Pics from WFP dryland sort at Kelsey Bay, summer 2014

  1634. #1634Hayesno12014-08-17 16:41

    More from Kelsey Bay...

  1635. #1635Plebeian2014-08-17 20:55

    Does anyone know what drivetrain the rebuilt Dystant Hayes HDX has installed?

  1636. #1636dieselfreak2014-09-17 01:25

    Dystant Hayes HDX repowered with a Series 60 Detroit, 6061 Allison trans, and BD121,000 Clark rears.

  1637. #1637skadill2014-09-27 00:26

    Extreme Heavy Haul 180,000 lbs plus American 7280 Yarder on a regular lowbed setup.Taken by an equipment friend who moved it in 1989 at 7 mile hill at Alta Lake near Whistler every year.Note the nice round tires before loading and the amount of rubber on the ground after,and the sag in the trailer.This is as wild as it gets for BC logging stunts.

  1638. #1638skadill2014-09-27 00:28

    Extreme Heavy Haul cont.

  1639. #1639dirty4fun2014-09-27 05:21

    It sure looks like the trailer would get hung up on much of any hump in the road. The fellow I worked for had a double drop that would drag on every railroad crossing that had much off any hump.

  1640. #16400752014-09-27 11:27

    Just a point of interest .That is a 7220 Combo not and 7280. And she looks a little long in the tooth. Nice picture thanks for shareing

  1641. #1641camptramp2014-10-08 23:16

    Pete Rigby , 1st picture Hauling down TR 8 to the Gordon River M/L with his Pacific truck equipped with a self loader , what the logging truck driver see's through the windshield .

  1642. #1642camptramp2014-10-08 23:39

    Pete Rigby , What a log truck driver sees in the morning , an early morning Sunrise from TR 8 .

  1643. #1643camptramp2014-10-08 23:44

    Pete Rigby , A herd of Elk await an early " T time " at March Meadow's Golf Coarse , Honeymoon Bay B.C. , Elk off the road side . Gordon River M/L .

  1644. #1644camptramp2014-10-08 23:48

    Pete Rigby , Deer on the road side . View attachment 125263 View attachment 125264

  1645. #1645camptramp2014-10-08 23:57

    Pete Rigby , Not to many logs are getting hauled on this snowy Dec. 1985 morning . View attachment 125265 View attachment 125266

  1646. #1646camptramp2014-10-13 00:18

    Pete Rigby , Three o Eight Contracting and Pete Rigby Contracting loaded on TR11

  1647. #1647camptramp2014-10-13 00:22

    Pete Rigby , with his Pacific self loading logging truck .

  1648. #1648camptramp2014-10-13 00:37

    Pete Rigby Elco Logging Galiano Island 1993 .

  1649. #1649SPMiller2014-10-13 00:53

    Madill 044 double main, 144, and another 4800 week ago

  1650. #1650The_mekanik2014-10-13 13:24

    Actually it was 3 years ago, but I guess you'd of known that if it was you that took that pic.. :stirthepot

  1651. #1651camptramp2014-10-14 22:33

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , building road for Pacific Logging at Kelvin Cr. 1995

  1652. #1652camptramp2014-10-14 22:47

    Pete Rigby , Woodgrove Logging , Shawnigan 1996 , Larry Whiskin on S kidder Pete Rigby on EX200 .

  1653. #1653camptramp2014-10-15 00:15

    Pete Rigby , Woodgrove Logging , Shawnigan 1996 "Bud" McGrade running JD 790

  1654. #1654camptramp2014-10-15 22:40

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , Road building at Sooke Lake 2001

  1655. #1655camptramp2014-10-15 22:45

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , Road building at Sooke Lake. Last picture is a Black Bear up a tree just off the road side .

  1656. #1656camptramp2014-10-16 23:17

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , road building Sooke Lake 2001 .

  1657. #1657camptramp2014-10-16 23:56

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , Sooke Lake , 2002 ,installing Prefabricated B ridge .

  1658. #1658camptramp2014-10-17 00:01

    Pete Rigby , Don Mann Excavating , Sooke Lake , 2002 , installing Prefabricated Bridge .

  1659. #1659csquared2014-10-17 20:53

    Good pics CampTramp, i think i saw that old don mann hitachi 200 at great west this summer!

  1660. #1660The_mekanik2014-10-18 17:10

    2007 John Deere 450D backspar fresh out of the shop

  1661. #1661Scott_5272014-10-18 18:42

    Thats a rugged looking backspar! Is it 450?

  1662. #1662SPMiller2014-10-24 23:23

    fyi

  1663. #1663Scott_5272014-10-25 07:26

    Hah didn't see that over there

  1664. #1664camptramp2014-10-27 22:17

    Here's an article out of a local news paper about WFI's Meades Creek camp in the Cowichan Valley on Lake Cowichan , given to me by Squeaky Fortin.

  1665. #1665camptramp2014-10-29 23:37

    Gordy I , Noted Cowichan Valley log truck driver , owner operator Ron Mattin , with his International ,"Gumboot" DF-400 series Logger .

  1666. #1666camptramp2014-10-29 23:51

    Gordy I. Brand new 1967 LW 924 "Canadian" Kenworth for Ronnie Mattin - Duncan B.C. This truck was in a late 1960's Movie called " Five Easy Pieces " starring Jack Nicholson and filmed at " The Red Rooster Cafe & Gas Station " near Crofton Rd. & Highway #1 North of Duncan B.C.

  1667. #1667camptramp2014-10-30 00:05

    Gordy I. Rick Mattin told me his uncle Ron Mattin & Don Blundell each bought a new LW Kenworth at the same time in 1967 , and had their pickup's painted to match their trucks. "A Class Act " for 1967 !

  1668. #1668camptramp2014-10-30 00:17

    Gordy I. Ron Mattin , John Robinson , Don Blundell's LW - Kenworths parked loaded , ( probably waiting for the scales to close )

  1669. #1669camptramp2014-10-30 00:30

    Gordy I. A line up of loaded Kenworths hauling for Malloch & Moseley at Mackay Lake , including Don Blundell and John Robinson .

  1670. #1670Vigilant2014-10-30 00:59

    The second truck in line looks to be the '67 model W9 in Post 236 of the Malloch thread.

  1671. #1671camptramp2014-10-30 01:25

    Good eye it is

  1672. #1672camptramp2014-11-02 00:38

    Gordy I. Cragg Creek Logging ( Eric Longland & Sons owners ) Logged for years for the Kapoor family around Victoria Watershed . pictures taken at High Oaks Farm on Grandville Ave. in Saanich B.C. Summer 2000 . Originally bought new by Gary Kershaw , ran as K & L Trucking , hauled for Cragg Cr. Logging , was taken over by Cragg Cr Logging , Then Malloch Logging 2003 , then Cloned and painted as a Malloch & Moseley truck , now owned by Gordy Isacson. 1972 LW924 Kenworth orig. engine : NTA 370 Cummins Trans. : RTO 12513 Diffs. : SSHD-44's 4:63-1

  1673. #1673camptramp2014-11-02 23:48

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging 1979 359 Peterbuilt , Detroit V8-92 (Silver) engine was tuned to 490 HP (est.) Gordy say's it was a Hot Rod in its day , Fuller 125-15 Trans , 44,000 Diff's. Bought new by Cragg Creek Logging in 1979 . Picture taken at Longlands High Oak Farm Saanich B.C.

  1674. #1674camptramp2014-11-02 23:57

    Gordy I , Cragg Creek Logging , empty Logging trucks parked at Langford B.C. Summer 2000

  1675. #1675camptramp2014-11-03 00:22

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging , Summer 2000 , 1979 359 Peterbuilt log truck driver Gordy I , loader Hitachi EX-200 combo machine operator Cameron Longland , logging in Niagara Area in Victoria Watershed ,logging for Kapoor's

  1676. #1676camptramp2014-11-03 00:37

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging Ltd. Summer of 2000 , hauling logs off Niagara M/L and Access M/L for Kapoors in Victoria Watershed , with 359 Peterbuilt .

  1677. #1677camptramp2014-11-04 00:36

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging , Loading Log Truck in behind Niagara M/L in Victoria Watershed for Kapoor's , Loading operator Cam Longland Truck driver Gordy Isacson Landing Bucker Jeff Gill .2000

  1678. #1678250explorer2014-11-04 20:18

    Island logging trucks! Always a beauty to see on the logging roads. Not the best to meet without prior notice though! Island trucks hauling real timber, Alberta loggers need not apply! The old man's new truck with a friendly driver near the highway turn off to Port Alice, BC Truck on the SW side of Victoria Lake Smoking coming down a hill near Manyard Lake

  1679. #1679camptramp2014-11-04 23:48

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging Niagara area Summer 2000 2nd picture Landing Bucker Jeff Gill standing on load , Loader operator Cam Longland standing by Jeep , 3rd picture Cam Longland standing in front of truck , truck driver Gordy Isacson leaning on fender.

  1680. #1680camptramp2014-11-05 23:24

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging , Summer 2000 , '79 Pete , hauling logs out of Victoria Watershed from Kapoors holdings to Shoal Island DLS Crofton B.C.

  1681. #1681camptramp2014-11-07 00:30

    Gordy I Cragg Creek Logging , Summer 2000 , '79 Peterbuilt hauling out of Victoria Watershed for Kapoor's 1st two pictures by gate on Sooke Lake Rd. Shawnigan Lake B.C. 3rd & 4th pictures at Gordy's home in Cobble Hill , 5th picture at Shoal Island DLS .

  1682. #1682camptramp2014-11-07 23:29

    Gordy I , Munns Lumber 2003 , Gordy I driving a 2001 Western Star -Constellation Model - 500 HP ISX Cummins , 18 speed Fuller Trans. , 44 Diffs. Olympic Loader with Anser Logging Trailer and Rigging . Hauling on Munns Lumber Claim behind Sooke B.C.

  1683. #1683camptramp2014-11-07 23:50

    Gordy I Munns Lumber , Gordy I Driving a 1996 T-800 Kenworth with Peerless Page rigging , Hauling for Munns Lumber ,who were logging for Timberwest behind Sooke B.C. near the Jordan M/L .

  1684. #1684camptramp2014-11-09 00:54

    Gordy I Munns Lumber , 2003 Valentine Mountian area behind Sooke B.C.

  1685. #1685camptramp2014-11-09 23:59

    Gordy I Munns Lumber , 2003 logging on Valentine Mtn.

  1686. #1686camptramp2014-11-10 23:04

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 Logging on Valentine Mt.

  1687. #1687camptramp2014-11-10 23:16

    Gordy I. , Munn's Lumber , 2003 Logging near Valentine Mt. behind Sooke B.C. Thunderbird 70 ft. tower yarding and Cat 235 loading logs in landing .

  1688. #1688camptramp2014-11-11 23:23

    Gordy I. Munn's Lumber , 2003

  1689. #1689camptramp2014-11-13 00:38

    Gordy I , Munn's Lumber , 2003 , 1st two pictures are bridges on the West Jordan M/L 3rd picture is passing through Ladysmith on Trans Canada Highway , Vancouver Island B.C. , 4th picture is crossing a bridge on the way in to Shoal Island DLS Crofton B.C.

  1690. #1690camptramp2014-11-13 23:48

    Gordy I , Munns Lumber , 2003 , Gordy Isacson reveals another of his many talents , driving #101 a 1996 T-800 Kenworth , moving Equipment on a Tandem + Tridem Aspen Lowbed

  1691. #1691furpo2014-11-15 13:29

    Did you guys ever have trouble with the grapples coming off the bollards on the front of those self loader trucks? looks like if it come off you would run it over

  1692. #1692Hank R2014-11-15 13:50

    I have never heard of driving over the grapple, but I know of a few raditors that had problems. Not to say it did not happen.

  1693. #1693camptramp2014-11-15 22:15

    The Munns Lumber Western Star in posting #1683 had that very mishap happened to it , the driver was a little inexperienced and had some issues , one of them was not grabbing the bollard properly , which allowed the grapple to drop off on the ground . Among other things the engine pan was damaged , the solution after it was fixed was to put Gordy Isacson driving it until it was replaced with another truck .

  1694. #1694camptramp2014-11-15 22:43

    Munns Lumber #101 gets loaded with Big Fir on Valentine Mountain , Ronnie Jay is running a 235 Cat with Young Grapple front , Grapple Tower is a Thunderbird 70 footer run by Rick Pears .

  1695. #1695camptramp2014-11-16 23:30

    GordyI . Munns Lumber #101 loaded out the West Jordan , heading for Shoal Island DLS , through Shawnigan Lake .

  1696. #1696LLLearner2014-11-17 12:30

    Camptramp, appreciate all the great photos, keep them coming

  1697. #1697Vigilant2014-11-17 20:52

    +1000! Thanks, Mr. Tramp.

  1698. #1698camptramp2014-11-17 21:48

    Thanks guy's I enjoy doing it , and thank you to the fella's that have allowed me to post their pictures , its become a hobby , as long as I can " borrow pictures " I'LL keep posting . I look forward to seeing what other's are posting , we've had a good run in the last year , hopefully it keeps going , Hank R & Sidney 43 are doing a great job of finding great stories and pictures , and looking forward to what back choker has hidden away in his " Vault " .

  1699. #1699camptramp2014-11-17 23:58

    Gordy I Munns Lumber 2003 Hauling wood from Kapoor's claim in Victoria Watershed , nice logs 10-12 pieces to a load .

  1700. #1700camptramp2014-11-18 00:21

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber 2003 #101 T-800 Logger hauling from hills behind Sooke B.C. parked on roadside downtown Cobble Hill B.C. . This truck would later be painted the traditional Yellow , Green and White .

  1701. #1701camptramp2014-11-18 00:26

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 #101 Dumping at Shoal Island DLS , Crofton B.C.

  1702. #1702camptramp2014-11-18 00:31

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 #101 dumping at Ladysmith DLS .

  1703. #1703dirty4fun2014-11-18 05:21

    More great pictures and with descriptions, thanks for taking time to do this camp tramp. Glad you are enjoying doing it and hope you keep getting more pictures to share with us.

  1704. #1704camptramp2014-11-18 09:28

    I'm working on it Jim , looking forward to your next visit .

  1705. #1705camptramp2014-11-18 09:47

    In posting #1702 , pictures 3 and 4 , look past the trailer reload ,in the back ground is an overhead crane that extends out over the water . It is capable of lifting a load off a highway truck with ease , it is used to pickup logs in the water and place them on the paved surface or to put bundles off DLS in the water . When it was first erected it was used to load log bundles on log barges . Though the barges were loaded by a crane , the barges were self dumping , one day when a barge was partly loaded , something went wrong and the barge self dumped under the crane way pulling the part of the crane way over the water down , Creating a hell of a mess.

  1706. #1706camptramp2014-11-18 23:30

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 #101 getting loaded by Dale Erskine on a 3800 Madill loader , Scotty Rose is running the Madill 124 Grapple Yarder in back ground .

  1707. #1707camptramp2014-11-18 23:37

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 , Gordy Isacson driving #101 with 10.6 wide Aspen lowbed , carrying a Cat 30 ton rock truck , north bound on Island Highway just South of Mill Bay B.C.

  1708. #1708camptramp2014-11-18 23:45

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 Gordy Isacson driving #101 hooked to lowbed , hauling D8 Cat , just off the gravel logging road , getting ready at the sight of the "Old Youbou Mill" to head East on North Shore Rd. through Youbou B.C. to Duncan .

  1709. #1709camptramp2014-11-19 23:36

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2003 , Gordy Isacson doing lowbed duty with #101 a T-800 Kenworth Logger painted traditional M & M colors Yellow , Green and White . Pulling an Aspen 65 ton lowbed with hydraulic goose neck .

  1710. #1710camptramp2014-11-20 23:23

    Gordy I Munns Lumber , a couple of trucks at the old Inland Kenworth shop in Nanaimo B.C.

  1711. #1711camptramp2014-11-20 23:53

    Gordy I Munns Lumber 2004 2 brand new T-800 Kenworth Tridrive's for Munns Lumber at old Inland Kenworth shop in Nanaimo B.C. , in 2nd pictures is Dale Malloch , in 4th picture is "Delivery Boy's" Chris Warran left and Gordy Isacson right .

  1712. #1712camptramp2014-11-22 00:02

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 New T-800 Kenworth self loading Logger ,tridrive truck tridum trailer at old Inland Kenworth Dealership Nanaimo B.C.

  1713. #1713Sidney432014-11-22 00:06

    Always been a bit curious about three axle setups. Is there excessive tire wear on either the middle, or rear axle rubber from corner scrubbing?

  1714. #1714camptramp2014-11-22 00:25

    Not as bad as one would think , the back axle on truck do'es wear a little quicker than a tandem and the back axle on the trailer do'es scuff off quicker than a two axle trailer , rotating tires helps even them out . Some drivers with a heavy right foot eat up the truck drivers quicker than some drivers on gravel roads especially on hills , running the power divider engaged on gravel roads helps tire wear on any logging truck , but it is a must on tridrive trucks .

  1715. #1715kiwi450x2014-11-22 03:33

    I've always wondered if the Tri-drives sledge like a bitch when your turning? I guess they must be alright or no one would use them.

  1716. #1716ben46a2014-11-22 14:42

    So what was the connection between munns and malloch? Just curious as to why they switch to malloch colours. I've gathered that gordy I worked for both. I'm from the east coast and never set foot on Van isle so if I'm wayyyy out in left field straighten me out please!

  1717. #1717camptramp2014-11-22 22:58

    There is a connection , Gordy Isacson is the son of long time Malloch & Moseley employee Ed " IKE " Isacson IKE is a very versatile operator , runs just about any thing in a logging camp and runs it well . Gordy is very much the same , and has worked for the Malloch family off and on for most of his working life , but now works for his brother Garry in the construction Industry . There is a connection between Munns Lumber and Malloch Logging . I'm not totally familiar with all the details . The Malloch brothers with a partner formed a company called Courtloch . Courtloch bought up two long time South Vancouver Island logging contractors Cragg Creek Logging and Munns Lumber , all appeared to be going well until Timberwest made the decision to turn over their company logging crews and equipment to contractors Munns Lumber got what appeared to be a chance of a life time . In the 1950's to the 1980's their were several major Timber holders on the West Coast of B.C. that employed company crews and contracted out some of their logging operation's , they appeared community minded and took care of there employee's and contractor's .Starting in the 1980's the Forest Industry on the West Coast of B.C. changed big time and anybody associated with it went for a Roller Coaster ride of ups and downs . The Munns dream turned into a night mare the only winner was Timberwest . I'm not sure of when it happened , but the Malloch brothers left Courtloch with their equipment and the holding's of Cragg Creek Logging and have operated as Malloch Logging ever since . If I have it wrong please correct me .

  1718. #1718camptramp2014-11-22 23:20

    The tridrive's handled and turned quite well , the only time I found that they didn't like to turn was going around a tight , steep , muddy switch back , they seem to want to slide to the outside of corner . The solution was to use a little extra trailer brake until you were around the switch back . The tridive truck and tridum trailer are the most stable logging truck on the road . And without all the pivot points most logging truck configurations have , they are also easy to backup .

  1719. #1719camptramp2014-11-22 23:43

    Gordy i. Munns Lumber 2004 bottom picture is Gordy I. driving T-109 , coming out of Duncan past Beverly St. intersection . " Nice unit .... to many wrappers and stake extensions to fold down though ".

  1720. #1720camptramp2014-11-22 23:57

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Two new T-800 Kenworth's and a 1997 378 Peterbuilt parked near Munns Lumber office in Langford B.C.

  1721. #1721camptramp2014-11-23 23:20

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Chris Warran washing T-107 " Fever " a 1997 378 Peterbuilt at Mill Bay Shell , " Fever " Parked At Gordy I. home in Cobble Hill with Aspen lowbed hooked to it . " Fever " parked at Munns Lumber office in Langford with a load of logs

  1722. #1722camptramp2014-11-24 01:17

    Oz Nelson WFI 1978 his second off highway Pacific

  1723. #1723camptramp2014-11-24 23:58

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Two new T-800 Kenworths getting their bunks dirty .

  1724. #1724camptramp2014-11-25 00:57

    Oz Nelson a long time off highway logging truck driver has sent us some pictures from the years he spent at WFI's Gordon River Camp , Gordon River Shop.

  1725. #1725camptramp2014-11-25 01:00

    Oz Nelson WFI Gordon R. empty's parked at shop .

  1726. #1726camptramp2014-11-25 01:02

    O N WFI Gordon R. Log trucks parked at shop , notice how the empty trailer sit on trucks , these are the old style preload trailers before self loading trailers were developed .

  1727. #1727camptramp2014-11-25 01:09

    O N WFI Gordon R. an early Madill 009 Steel Tower on tracks.

  1728. #1728camptramp2014-11-25 23:03

    Oz Nelson WFI Gordon River Camp Pacific preloader logging truck , American log loader .

  1729. #1729camptramp2014-11-25 23:13

    Oz Nelson WFI Gordon River , Old Abandon Trestle that was bypassed by culvert under road at 11 KM on Gordon River M/L called Dodds Dip.

  1730. #1730camptramp2014-11-25 23:23

    OZ Nelson WFI Gordon River Camp , "A" Frame lift off "Wet Dump" at Honeymoon Bay.

  1731. #1731camptramp2014-11-25 23:34

    Oz Nelson WFI Gordon River Camp #212 Pacific being dumped at Honeymoon Bay DLS , with Cat and Wagoner log stacker' s .

  1732. #1732camptramp2014-11-25 23:36

    Oz Nelson WFI Gordon River Camp , American log loader and the man behind the "levers" .

  1733. #1733dirty4fun2014-11-26 05:07

    Keep them coming camptramp, sure are enjoyable to see.

  1734. #1734camptramp2014-11-26 10:34

    I'm just amazed at the pictures Oz has taken , I shared the road with him off and on for twenty years and never seen him with a camera .

  1735. #1735Blk prince2014-11-26 11:28

    CT,you are right about pictures. There is a number of people who have taken lots of pictures over the years. We may never see. I spoke with 2 lifetime loggers and they will not let their pictures out as they think this is Internet and there is no privacy,so what do you do?

  1736. #1736Shoepeg2014-11-26 11:46

    It blows my mind, that so many folks took photos. Most coal company's in our area have photo policies that will get you put off the property if you take photos or videos. The Forestry Equipment thread is the best on the web. Lots of cool folks that have shared their work life with us. The size of the equipment is something else. Scenery is out of this world. The love of the equipment that you guys have used to make a living with, to keep up with the different units as it has been moved all over The Island is something else. Better than TV. Keep up the good job.. Hope the photos never stop.

  1737. #1737Pettiboner2014-11-26 13:27

    Love the photos, Thank you! Vancouver Island is the BEST! Even if one of those blu and whites did run me off the road on my way to Thasis.

  1738. #1738HDX2014-11-26 23:16

    Finally found it. Most of you guys will remember this from the '80's. Once upon a time, a Chinese timber company and Western Forest Products decided to have a boat race on the Nitinat River. Both teams practiced hard and long to reach their peak performance. On the day of the big race the Chinese won by a mile! Afterwards, the Western Forest Products team became very discouraged and morale sagged. Western management decided that the reason for this crushing defeat had to be found, so a Western Forest Products "Management Team" was formed. They would investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion: the Chinese team had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the Western team had 1 person rowing and 8 people steering. Western management hired an American efficiency consulting company and paid them incredible amounts of money. They advised Western Forest Products that too many people were steering and not enough people were rowing. To prevent losing to the Chinese again the next year, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering supervisors and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team First" program. Meetings, dinners and many hours of enrichment were included in this quality first program. The next year the Chinese won by 2 miles! Humiliated, the Western Forest Products management laid off the rower for poor performance, and halted all new development. They then gave a "High Performance" award to the steering managers and distributed the money saved as bonuses to the senior executives.

  1739. #1739Hank R2014-11-26 23:21

    I just cracked up when I read this, might have to crack a cool one with the wife now. Thanks for the smile

  1740. #1740RCP572014-11-26 23:37

    Haha! That's a good one Steve! Sad but true!

  1741. #1741camptramp2014-11-27 00:00

    Oz Nelson Timberwest HBO Div. not sure where this was found , but I believe it was on a Longline setting .

  1742. #1742camptramp2014-11-27 00:02

    More

  1743. #1743camptramp2014-11-27 00:19

    Oz Nelson Timberwest HBO Oz standing in front of #40-128 formerly BCFP #6-251 HDX Hayes , last picture is Rob Norman leaning on fender . A little history on Rob , he is the Grandson of Legendary Rigger Henry Norman who came to B.C. with the first "Skidder" for Matt Hemmingsten .

  1744. #1744camptramp2014-11-27 00:49

    Oz Nelson Timberwest HBO #40-132 P-16 Pacific at Honeymoon Bay DLS the second picture is Oz and DLS crew standing in front of the last Off Highway load to be dumped at Honeymoon Bay DLS . The times were a changing good by Off Highway Trucks , hello Highway Trucks. Another sad day in the Forest Industry.

  1745. #1745dirty4fun2014-11-27 05:34

    That was a funny one Steve, and seems just about how so many places operate, for a while. To often the ones that get it done have little to no recognition for making the higher ups look good.

  1746. #1746dirty4fun2014-11-27 12:29

    Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving Day. Finally cleared up and is sunny here. Pretty enjoyable down by the river with a couple Eagles flying around.

  1747. #1747Vigilant2014-11-27 14:29

    My dear father probably rolled over in his grave. You could have easily substituted Weyco for WFP, and the story would be the same. Or my employer. Thank you, sir. You made my day.

  1748. #1748camptramp2014-11-27 22:33

    Oz Nelson Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. a great picture of three logging truck moving an American 7220 up a steep hill and around a switch back .

  1749. #1749camptramp2014-11-27 23:26

    Al Lundgern Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. a picture of the logging truck drivers from the late 1980's. Don Oza , John Elliott , Andy Robillard , Tom Worth ,Roy Johnson ( Truck Dispatcher ) , Danny Burns , Al Skene , Rick Robinson , Art Nickerson , Reid Bryson , Rex Weaver , Gerry Gergely .

  1750. #1750camptramp2014-11-28 00:18

    Gordy I Munns Lumber , 2004 behind Sooke B.C.

  1751. #1751camptramp2014-11-28 00:36

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 , T-101 Kenworth pulling lowbed with Madill 124 West side of Nanaimo Lakes . Broke trailer suspension that day only minutes after taking Photos , no jeep either . Notice poor little truck probably has between 30 and 40,000KGs on driver axles

  1752. #1752dirty4fun2014-11-28 05:47

    Great pictures of the three trucks moving the American 7220 up the hill. Got to like that!

  1753. #1753Blk prince2014-11-28 09:54

    Re post1752 it just does not pay. In many cases something ends up on its side or someone is hurt

  1754. #1754Blk prince2014-11-28 09:56

    Post 1750,besides John E,who else is still hauling from Renfrew?

  1755. #1755Sidney432014-11-28 13:31

    Have to agree that the photos of the three logs trucks pulling/pushing that heavy load around the switchbacks is way up on the list of interesting pictures.

  1756. #1756Vigilant2014-11-28 13:39

    I saved that one to disc. It's right on up there with the ancient photo I have somewhere of Clark-Wilson moving a Lidgerwood Tower Skidder with FIVE steam lokies.

  1757. #1757camptramp2014-11-28 23:57

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , 2004 , Hauling Heli-Wood from up in behind Nixon Ceek off Caycuse M/L Loaded by Bruce Wilson

  1758. #1758camptramp2014-11-29 00:21

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 "Big" Spencer K. Loading Heli-Wood on T-101 off Cragg Creek M/L , above Martin's Gultch-Leech Town. "Nice Bunk Lay EH" !!! (tight too). Had lots of loads in this area with under 8 pieces .

  1759. #1759camptramp2014-11-30 23:34

    Gordy i. Munns Lumber 2004 -Dig Bucket for Hitachi EX-1100 excavator (JJM Const.)next to Hitachi EX-200 excavator Quite a contrast in size . JJm had contract to add on to existing Saddle Dam on Sooke Lake in Victoria Water Shed .

  1760. #1760camptramp2014-11-30 23:38

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 #T-101 hauling out of Kapoor's claim through the Victoria Water Shed .

  1761. #1761camptramp2014-12-02 00:14

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber 2004 #101 with a fresh coat of paint .

  1762. #1762camptramp2014-12-02 00:27

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Brand new EX 370 Hatachi " Forester " log loader Check out axles on Aspen lowbed , Tara weight with tractor , jeep , lowbed and booster combo is 26,090 KG. " Can't haul anything over 270 Hitachi without all 8 axles + over weight permit ".

  1763. #1763camptramp2014-12-02 23:19

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Bruce Wilson on Madill 3800 , loading #101 on East side of Lake Cowichan .

  1764. #1764camptramp2014-12-02 23:24

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 #101 hauling a load of HELI-Wood on West side of Lake Cowichan , past Caycuse .

  1765. #1765camptramp2014-12-02 23:38

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 1st picture the #101 waiting to get dumped at Shoal Island DLS. 2nd picture Gordy I. driving #101 on lowbed duty , hauling Madill 3800 on Sooke Lake M/L in Victoria Watershed .

  1766. #1766Sigurd2014-12-03 15:34

    . Could this be the old Rayonier office in Jeune Landing, sure looks like it as i remember from late sixties....

  1767. #1767camptramp2014-12-03 22:34

    Oz Nelson Fletcher Challenge Canada Caycuse Div. #40-126 HDX Hayes pulling lowbed with 54-66 American 7220 line log loader on board . Bill Norcross , Dave Whisken (truck driver ) , Brian Shultz (loader operator) . picture taken on West Hatton I

  1768. #1768HDX2014-12-03 22:58

    Man 6-249 looks good there funny this was taken prior to grey hair. Hauled by WH 100 most of the summer and unless you knew where it was you would drive right by it and never even know it was there Really the only WH road now still in use is WH6. Lots of memories out there Good post camptramp.

  1769. #1769camptramp2014-12-03 23:22

    Oz Nelson WFI Honeymoon Bay saw mill . The mill shut down in 1981 these pictures were taken as the mill was dismantled .

  1770. #1770camptramp2014-12-03 23:24

    Oz Nelson

  1771. #1771camptramp2014-12-03 23:32

    Sue Nelson

  1772. #1772camptramp2014-12-04 00:58

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 , 1st picture #101 waiting to dump at Shoal Island , 2nd picture is in the Haida Way Restaurant in Chemainus B.C. , #rd and 4th pictures Munns fleet of highway trucks parked at their yard in Chemainus , the sight was once Domans saw mill .

  1773. #1773camptramp2014-12-04 23:59

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 Munns fleet of log trucks parked at Chemainus , Gordy I was Munns Truck Foreman / Dispatcher / Lowbed Driver ., Munns fleet of truck was supplemented by some contract trucks . A note from Gordy I . " It took years off my life !! "

  1774. #1774camptramp2014-12-06 00:49

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 #101 Hauling HELI-WOOD from West S ide of Lake Cowichan , Bruce Wilson loading logs with Madill 3800 log loader .

  1775. #1775Vigilant2014-12-06 14:55

    That is one NICE looking yard in Post 1774. The stuff a logger's dreams are made of. I wonder if a place like that is part of what is waiting for us up yonder?

  1776. #1776Blk prince2014-12-08 00:18

    More like a logger's nightmare,all waiting for auction

  1777. #1777camptramp2014-12-08 23:28

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 , Munns Lumber 3109 Tri-drive Short Logger and #101 6-axle Logger parked empty at Chemainus yard .

  1778. #1778camptramp2014-12-08 23:34

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 #101 empty and #109 Short Logger at Mesachie Lake yard with load of HELI-WOOD from Nixon Creek off Caycuse M/L

  1779. #1779camptramp2014-12-12 00:02

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber 2004 #101 T-800 Kenworth and 65 Ton Aspen 10.6 Ft. HYD-Neck Lowbed moving fully rigged Madill 124 Grapple Yarder on the Bear Cr. M/L on Munns claim way up in behind Jordon River . " Never felt good about hauling these things on Highway Trucks and Lowbeds - couldn't make any better time , than if you walked Machine to next setting ! Broke Suspension Parts on truck lots . Sure got your attention on bad road leans .

  1780. #1780camptramp2014-12-12 00:05

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber 2004

  1781. #1781camptramp2014-12-15 23:39

    Colin Rigby has loaned us some pictures to share . The first one is a couple of fellows at the Gold River dock getting ready to board the MV "Uchuck" heading back to camp.

  1782. #1782camptramp2014-12-15 23:50

    Colin R. Eldred River Logging , Moyeha Bay , 850 Kenworth being dumped . Pushed off on to logs with Cat Stacker .

  1783. #1783camptramp2014-12-15 23:55

    Colin R. Eldred River Logging , Moyeha Bay , American 599 took a tumble down side hill .

  1784. #1784Back choker2014-12-16 04:29

    Not all of them went to the auction but the nightmare part is right.lol

  1785. #1785camptramp2014-12-16 23:16

    Colin R. Nootka Island . A Euclid or Terrex hauling a couple of long sticks for an "A Frame" lift off dump .

  1786. #1786Hank R2014-12-17 09:09

    Like the big sticks about how long are they??

  1787. #1787RCP572014-12-17 09:12

    Pretty good load for the old Euc! Any idea as to the dates on any of these pictures?

  1788. #1788camptramp2014-12-17 09:33

    They have to be getting close to 100 ft. , the picture was taken at a Doman camp on Nootka Island , operated by a contractor late 1970's early 1980's .

  1789. #1789camptramp2014-12-18 01:01

    Colin R. Loading a long log for dump , parbuckle or "A" Frame lift off , with yarder and loader on to Mack off highway log truck , at Heydon Bay Lougborough Inlet .

  1790. #1790Len Burton2014-12-18 03:11

    Totally awesome pictures. I've never seen a load like this.

  1791. #1791dirty4fun2014-12-18 05:30

    Some neat pictures of the long logs for the dump. Seeing the man on top unhooking the rigging gives you a better idea of the size of the logs. Thanks for sharing, another part of what it takes to get the job done.

  1792. #1792camptramp2014-12-19 00:30

    dirty4fun have a look at last picture , nobody is in the yarder cab , the fellow that is standing on the log over top the truck , that has just unhooked the choker has no hard hat on , but has ear muff hearing protection on . Its the "Donkey Puncher" that walked out on the log to unhook choker.

  1793. #1793dirty4fun2014-12-19 04:51

    I missed that camptramp, I was so engrossed in seeing the size of the log. So very interesting seeing.

  1794. #1794camptramp2014-12-24 00:16

    SamC check pages 76 to mid 80's for pictures of Carley Logging

  1795. #1795Sigurd2014-12-31 12:28

    . Happy new year to all, and thanks for great pics and stories, much appreciated!!

  1796. #1796donkey doc2015-01-03 13:47

    i think ernie norris may have running that shovel....

  1797. #1797camptramp2015-01-03 16:34

    What was "EJ" doing down there , I don't see any Steelhead creeks near the backend .

  1798. #1798HESCO2015-01-03 21:58

    Enjoy the pictures, must have been a great time in history! My question is what does [for the dump] mean?

  1799. #1799Vigilant2015-01-03 23:53

    In dog language, it's 'rog rump'.

  1800. #1800dirty4fun2015-01-04 05:24

    HESCO, I am guessing "The dump" is they were taking the long logs to make an A frame to unload the logs off the trailers. Probably next to the ocean, so the logs dumped into the water. The old men didn't have the big machines to unload a truck, but they figured out the fastest and easiest ways to get the job done.

  1801. #1801Vigilant2015-01-04 08:19

    Back in those days, the 'old men' were also young whippersnappers, full of **** and vinegar.

  1802. #1802camptramp2015-01-04 10:55

    The first three pictures are of a " Parbuckle " Dump using a single stick hanging over a row of Skid Logs to Parbuckle the load off a logging truck using two cables and a spreader bar , then using the dump machine to load empty trailer back on truck . The last two pictures are of an "A' Frame dump with two sticks forming an "A" hanging over the water lifting the weight of the load , then allowing the load to swing out over the water before dropping the load into the water . Both systems use two lines to control the spreader bar . One pulls the spreader bar in to the base of the sticks , above the load to hook up cable that pass under load , the second line lifts the spreader bar . After hooking up cables under load spreader bar is raised to take weight of load , the stakes on water side of load are released ,next the line holding spreader bar to sticks is released allowing the "A" Frame loads to swing out over water or Parbuckle loads to slide down skid logs .Then load trailer back on truck .

  1803. #1803HESCO2015-01-04 13:48

    That's fantastic field engineering!!! Set up almost like a dragline with hoist system and drag system.

  1804. #1804HDX2015-01-04 14:36

    Hesco "The Dump" means the Log dump where the loaded logging trucks get unloaded. This is / was a place beside the water where the load of logs was lifted off the truck and dumped into the water! The picture above that the guys were talking about was only one log so that would mean it was a "Jin Pole" dump. This usually meant the load of logs was (Par-buckled off the trucks") dumped loose and the logs would go all over the place in the water. The "A" frame dumps (that is where there are two logs the same as pictured above with a cross bar lashed to each of them) to make it look like a huge "A" thus the name, would usually put cables or wide steel bands around the load so that when the logs were dumped into the water the load would stay together as a load. This made it easier for booming the loads into pockets. Where you were dumping would dictate what system you would use. If for instance you were dumping into a river or shallow tidal water you would dump loose so the logs would float freely whereas with a full load it would take deeper water so the load was not always getting stuck in the mud on the bottom. Even the big log dumps would have to bring in a dredge from time to time and dredge the bull-pen under the dump out because of bark and chunks that come off the loads will sink and build up Then the full loads would start to get hung up and the little boom boats couldn't move them. Usually what the boom crew (the guys that move the logs either with boats or poles) would do is use the "Prop Wash" to move some of the underwater stuff till the dredge came. By this I mean they would start pushing on a load right where there was too much underwater bark build-up and use the Prop Wash to help move some of the underwater debris! These guys are VERY GOOD at what they could and still can do with those little boats. Like everything in the forest industry it takes ingenuity!!! Does this help answer your question????

  1805. #1805HDX2015-01-04 14:39

    Sorry Al I answered too late!!! Nice shot of the 221 getting dumped. Still like to know where or what became of her.

  1806. #1806HESCO2015-01-04 15:06

    Good explanation, thank you!

  1807. #1807Vigilant2015-01-04 15:44

    As I said, 'Rog Rump'. Sometimes off-highway loads were also transferred to rail cars. That type of operation is commonly known as a reload. Probably used the same type of machinery as in the photos above. The reload I grew up around at Vail was run by a diesel-powered loading donkey. It was a 1925 Washington Iron Works donkey. I heard they logged with it for just a few years, then set it up at that same spot when they started transitioning to off-highway log trucks. It started out running on wood-fired steam, then diesel-fired steam...... after that I have no idea how many old truck engines it went through. Art Smythe, the reload operator, had been running that donkey since not long after they started the reload. He was still there when my father was Superintendent. Dad bought Mr. Smythe a brand new log stacker in about 1971 to make it easier on him. Smythe hated that stacker. He kept finding ways for it to break down so he could get back on the old reload. God bless Art Smythe.

  1808. #1808camptramp2015-01-04 16:23

    Its okay HDX that's a really good description of a working "Wet Dump". Hard to say what happened to the 221 , was pretty well used up when I drove it at Nekite River in 1979 probably ended up as a water truck .

  1809. #1809camptramp2015-01-04 23:31

    Oz Nelson Island Fiber , contracting for Teal Jones at HBO . Nice to see there's still the odd "Berry" out there . Load is pulled over at wrapper and truck check point , at Mesachie Lake B.C.

  1810. #1810camptramp2015-01-04 23:37

    Oz Nelson Island Fiber load waiting and dumping at Teal Jones Duke Point DLS just South of Nanaimo loads came from Teal Jones HBO Div. on TFL #46 .

  1811. #1811camptramp2015-01-04 23:49

    Oz Nelson , Hamilton Logging , Courtney B.C.

  1812. #1812Hank R2015-01-05 07:26

    Sure like the Hamilton Logging sign.

  1813. #1813donkey doc2015-01-05 14:06

    looks like roy white walking in front of one of Nelsons 850s

  1814. #1814camptramp2015-01-15 22:25

    Oz Nelson Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div.

  1815. #1815camptramp2015-01-15 22:27

    Oz Nelson , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div.

  1816. #1816HDX2015-01-18 17:40

    We got into a berry patch last week. Here's the end result with Norm MacLeod, the second loader, and Mark Hetherington the shovel operator.

  1817. #1817HDX2015-01-18 17:47

    On the road and at the Sarita Dryland Sort. When we get loads like this, Pentti Hiltunen uses his juicer to unload them. IPL uses this method so the logs don't get shattered and split when coming off the truck from that height.

  1818. #1818csquared2015-01-18 18:39

    I think i saw Chad hauling up H17 a few weeks ago from the shop. Looks good.

  1819. #1819HDX2015-01-18 18:54

    No not H17 was H151 that was down at Chemainus Shop They did a bunch of work to her. H151 is a conventional truck with the bunk on her whereas the 17 is a PreLoad truck (5th Wheel instead of a bunk)

  1820. #1820diamondtguy2015-01-18 18:59

    Nice pictures...I like it...The old beast is ageing well......truck looks like its doing ok too.......

  1821. #1821Blk prince2015-01-18 20:58

    First,great load,how many meters? Second does juicer take off whole load,and third,do you have to wait long for juicer to be available to unload? I remember,Ronnie Long had a load into Caycuse for Nitinat Lake. Got to sort at 8:30am and waited until 4:00pm for juicer to take 3 logs off top.

  1822. #1822RCP572015-01-18 21:02

    Awesome! What I want to know is why wasn't I in the passenger seat?

  1823. #1823HDX2015-01-18 21:29

    OK 148 mtrs second We call Pentti when we are a couple miles out and he will walk over to where he can spread the load. If Petti has time he will balloon the whole thing off because as you can see in the pictures he lay's the load out on the deck for the scalers and we drive along side the tier as he does this. If he is pressed for time or in the middle of something he will set the truck up and peel off the load to the top of the stakes then the Wagner(Bob Mayr) will come over and take the rest off and lay it out. Very seldom they keep the trucks waiting. If the sort is really busy the guys will take the load off and pile it up and then spread it when they have room/time. RCP57 I forgot to phone you and tell you what we were up to as a matter of fact it was a spur of the moment It was there so Mark did it. This by the way is the one of two loading engineer's that was loading /unloading the trucks at the Hayes 90th Anniversary show in 2012 The other loader operator was Marty Fladager. He is kept busy loading in the second growth side's on the Cameron end. We are very lucky to have the kind of shovel operators we do They are good on both long line and juicers.

  1824. #1824RCP572015-01-18 21:42

    "I forgot to phone you".... Wow, I thought only women used that line...Haha. Next time Steve... I couldn't have come for a ride this week anyway .

  1825. #1825dirty4fun2015-01-18 21:51

    I would of been jealous if you would of gotten to ride with that load Reg, oh save a few for me this summer Steve. What a load that is, and some nice looking berries they found to put on H17. Thanks for sharing the pictures, great to see that there are still some of those around. Steve give us an idea of the weight, and board feet on a load like that. Looks to be over 16' high, had to be kind of top heavy. Did the load come from down on the lower area, so not as many sharp down hill turns? Tell Norma I said hi, he looks to be pretty happy about the load, also!

  1826. #1826camptramp2015-01-18 23:30

    Gord I. 1967 LW 924 Kenworth , bought new by Ron Mattin shown at "Red Rooster" Cafe / Gas Station Westholme B.C. This truck was in the 1970 Drama "Five Easy Piece's" starring Jack Nicholson and Karen Black . This truck is still with us in Gord Neva's collection .

  1827. #1827Vigilant2015-01-18 23:46

    ntc 335?

  1828. #1828Vigilant2015-01-18 23:49

    I have no idea why this site will not let me capitalize the letters N T and C together. Must be an insult to Allah or something. Sheesh.

  1829. #1829Blk prince2015-01-18 23:52

    NTC 335 is correct

  1830. #1830Sigurd2015-01-20 08:29

    HDX really nice load you got there,my respect driving it. What engine do you have now in your H 17, and what is the most common engines they use nowadays for off highway trucks? Thanks. Sigurd

  1831. #1831HDX2015-01-20 23:33

    Sigurd She has a Cat C15 550 HP engine in her. She came new in 75 with a 12V71N 431 HP GM and in Sept 1980 while turning around at Spencer Log Dump the key dropped out of the camshaft on the right bank and dropped into the timing gears!!! That put an end to that right there. The Shop decided that she would be a good candidate for the 3408 install. Mike Murphy had already been doing this down at his new Sarita Division Shop with huge success. He was using the 3408 Pre-cup model 450 HP whereas Franklin went with the Direct Injection model. I liked the pre heater on the precup engines but the direct injection was without a doubt a nice starting engine without it. So for 22 years she was powered by that and when Hayes Forest Services took us over in 2003 she was rebuilt to their standards and had the new C15 installed. The nice thing about them was they have an excellent jake brake whereas the 3408 never had an exhaust brake or anything like that so it was nice that way! The C15 has been a very good engine from a drivers point of view Good power good fuel mileage . The only real complaint if there was one would be the exhaust manifold. For some reason Cat has problems with their exhaust systems. With the C15 it is the wraps on the manifold and the old 3408's was the exhaust elbows on each side. With the 3408 I never got the exhaust temp over 900 degree's where the C15 is running at 1200 degree's all day long. It will turn a new chrome exhaust pipe blue in a matter of days. However that is a small matter -- one you watch for. We have a few 60 series Detroits and some N14 Cummins. The C15 is by far the most popular for our work environment.

  1832. #1832camptramp2015-01-22 00:03

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Logging in a Winter Show on Kapoor's lands by Victoria Water Shed , 2004 .

  1833. #1833camptramp2015-01-22 00:38

    Gordy I. , Munns Lumber , 2004 driver Chris Warran with "Fever" a 1997 378 Pete doing lowbed duty hauling 320 SE Samsung into Marble Bay Property , off Meads Creek Rd. Lake Cowichan .

  1834. #1834camptramp2015-01-22 23:19

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 2004 ,#2 Gordy with T-101 moving a fully rigged 124 Madill grapple yarder "70tons" on highway lowbed at 25.5 km on Bear M/L. #1 Gordy moving a Cat 235 log loader at 25.5 km 0n Bear M/L .

  1835. #1835Vigilant2015-01-23 17:57

    That 124 on a highway lowboy brings to mind the handle of one of our newest members: Calling The Shop.

  1836. #1836camptramp2015-01-23 23:57

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Loads from behind Greater Victoria Water Shed , Kapoors Lumber claim 8km on Sooke M/L Adverse .

  1837. #1837camptramp2015-01-24 00:01

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Dale Chumley "Performing" on 370 Hi tachi log loader hoe chucking on Kapoor Lumber claim .

  1838. #1838camptramp2015-01-24 00:05

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordy with a load of Alder on top of Malahat Drive .

  1839. #1839camptramp2015-01-24 22:49

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber Picture #1 & 2 , T-101 being loaded by Bruce Wilson , loading Hoe-Chucked wood with a Madill 3800 , off Lake Cowichan's North Shore Rd . Picture #3 T-101 pulled over loaded on Highway #18 .

  1840. #1840camptramp2015-01-24 22:57

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Picture #1 T-101 at the Mesachie Lake shop with a load of Heli-wood . Picture's #2 & 3 T-101 pulled over on 19 Creek with a load of Heli wood from Tom's Cr. .

  1841. #1841DBDLS2015-01-25 19:56

    Sigurd: 60 Series Detroit Diesel seem to be very popular along some scattered Cummins N14's and ISX's. I think if you went far enough back most trucks were using Detroit Diesel 12V-71's, then when people wanted more power (probably started pulling adverse grades) the turbocharged 12V-71T and Cummins K19's became popular. There are still a lot of the K model Cummins and Detroits kicking around but most repowered trucks I see around Campbell River are 60 Series powered. Hope this helps.

  1842. #1842DBDLS2015-01-25 20:01

    HDX: That comment about Cat having exhaust problems is quite interesting. Just had a **** chat with a Finning mechanic here in the oilsands and he said the common problems with the 797 haul trucks are the electrical system, fuel injectors and the exhaust system. Gotta love a company that is consistent.

  1843. #1843camptramp2015-01-25 23:23

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , T-104 and T-109 parked at Munns Chemainus Yard , the sight of Domans old Mill yard .

  1844. #1844camptramp2015-01-25 23:28

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber ,T-101 hauling Cat 235 Back Spar Hoe , on Fleet M/L at 22km corner on way from Clapp Cr.

  1845. #1845camptramp2015-01-25 23:34

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordy's "Quick" hook up Log Rigging . And Freshly painted Aspen Lowbed Booster . Can you se e front of HDX in picture .

  1846. #1846camptramp2015-01-26 22:26

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber T-101 at Timberwest's Shoal Island DLS with a load of Heli-wood from Toms Cr. . Jeff MacLeod in picture is along for a ride .

  1847. #1847camptramp2015-01-26 22:30

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber T-107 with a nice load at 6.5 on Butler M/L .

  1848. #1848camptramp2015-01-26 22:38

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber Lee House with Self loader KWT-102 pulling lowbed T-101, with EX 450 Hatachi on board up Rithet Cr , on West /Sooke Lake M/L (8km) hill .

  1849. #1849camptramp2015-01-26 22:53

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , " Chunky " Dave Oxley in #T-109 short logger at Junction of Walker / Jordan M/L .

  1850. #1850camptramp2015-01-26 22:57

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber Chris Warran in "Fever" a 1997 378 Peterbuilt on the Bear M/L

  1851. #1851camptramp2015-01-26 23:01

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Glen Hay loading LT-101 with a 370 Hatachi log loader , on Walker M/L .

  1852. #1852KPhelps2015-01-29 19:07

    Hi, new member here. This photo of a donkey heading up the hill on two trucks was taken at Pocahontas Bay, Texada Island. I know, it's not the Big Island, but close enough. Not sure of the exact date, but we moved from Texada to Harrison in the fall of 1953, so sometime before then. The driver in the reversed truck is Ron Phelps, with (I think) Frank Furness standing beside the truck.

  1853. #1853Blk prince2015-01-29 21:17

    Welcome aboard. Always nice to see all pictures. It stirs someone's memary.. memory

  1854. #1854Vigilant2015-01-29 21:37

    Always a pleasure to see a new member. Is there a reason for the sled being so unusually long?

  1855. #1855camptramp2015-01-29 22:55

    Great picture KPhelps , so much history and so few camera's , check out the thread "Back in the day " for more pictures of that era . Do you know what outfit owned it ?

  1856. #1856KPhelps2015-01-30 01:17

    Absolutely. It was Pretty's Texada, owned by Charlie Pretty from Harrison Mills (brother of Harry & Fenn). They started on Texada in 1944 (photo below of my dad on the beach at Shelter Point, Texada in 1944, building the camp and booming ground which were right where the park is now). They logged out of there for a few years and then moved across the island to Pocahontas. When they left Texada in 1953 and moved back to Harrison the company became Premier Logging. They logged on Agassiz Mountain out of a camp about 3 miles down the river from Harrison Lake, and later opened camps at Bear Creek and 20 Mile on Harrison Lake as Pretty's Timber. In 1960 the purchased a division at Hope from the Corbett brothers, along with about 20 miles of the Kettle Valley railway grade (starting at Othello) that they turned into their main haul road. My dad (Ron Phelps) was logging manager of Premier and Pretty's Timber until he quit in 1964. As the smaller companies in B.C. were destroyed over the next decade or two, they became a glorified contractor and eventually disappeared as the family died off. That's a fairly condensed version. My dad subsequently bought a camp at 30 mile on Harrison Lake from Ward Snider and Curly Chittenden, sold that and bought a P9 or P10 to work on the clearing out for the Revelstoke Dam. After that, gypo logged and in his semi-retirement (read: putting me through university) worked at Pacific Truck for a couple of years in the mid seventies. Roots. KP

  1857. #1857KPhelps2015-01-30 01:24

    Oops, lost the photos: Ron Phelps on beach at Shelter Point, Texada, 1944. Camp at Pocahontas moved onto boom to be towed up Fraser and Harrison rivers.

  1858. #1858KPhelps2015-01-30 08:50

    I don't know. As I remember, all our donkeys looked that way. They started switching to steel spars when I was about 7 or 8 though, so memory may not be reliable.

  1859. #1859camptramp2015-01-30 09:40

    Great pictures , great history if you got more keep them coming .

  1860. #1860Jumbo2015-01-30 09:49

    That was not too long for a sled, especially if it was used as a cold deck machine. You needed a long sled to move easily in the brush. A short sled would hang up on just about everything.

  1861. #1861diamondtguy2015-01-30 12:52

    KPhelps...welcome aboard..Do you remember what years you worked at Pacific.??What department ??...Cory

  1862. #1862KPhelps2015-01-30 13:44

    It was my dad that worked at Pacific, while I was out of the country at university. It would have been in the '75 - '77 vicinity. I recall him saying that he was mainly installing brake systems. He died in '95, so can't double check. KP

  1863. #1863diamondtguy2015-01-30 14:02

    I started there half way through 1977...Sounds like your dad was doing the air systems.Those were busy years at Pacific.....

  1864. #1864Vigilant2015-01-31 14:50

    I have seen a few cold decks in my day, such as a deck of ash that was left when the market for ash tanked one year.... made great firewood! But back in the day, the only reasons I could come up with for a cold deck instead of loading hot onto trucks or rail cars would be either for a swing yarding application where the logs would be chokered again to swing to the road or rail head, or in the case of a road or rail head being under construction, but not quite completed, and still short of the landing. Am I close on this, or were there other reasons for cold decks? I would think the wood would begin to check after a while if it sat at the deck too long, unless the area got a lot of rain.

  1865. #1865KPhelps2015-01-31 16:30

    Hah! Welcome to B.C.! Big logs, big wet. KP

  1866. #1866camptramp2015-02-01 01:01

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , T-101 returning A.J. Heavy Haul 9 axle Aspen lowbed back to Northwest Bay after moving Hatachi 450 Excavator . Using trailer reload to remove Tandem Jeep - loaded onto back of lowbed to shorten over all length of empty lowbed . B.C. over length rules require a pilot car for this rig empty with Tandem Jeep engaged.

  1867. #1867camptramp2015-02-01 01:14

    It was common practice in the Railroad era to reach up a hillside beyond the reach of a Skidder or Slackline , using a Cold Decker yarder to yard logs to the Skyline Machine back spars creating Cold Deck Piles to be swung down to the Home Tree landing when the Skyline Machine reached the piles at the back spars .

  1868. #1868Blk prince2015-02-01 03:04

    Camptramp,I need to know how the jeep is unhooked? Does he drop lowbed back then take jeep to the reload? If so,how does he get the bed under the jeep? Only way I see is to pull the bed around the reload and back under,correct? If not,then what am I missing?

  1869. #1869camptramp2015-02-01 23:22

    Never had much to do with highway lowbeds . To get the Heavy Haul Jeep on to lowbed , I would drop the lowbed in the clear then drive under trailer reload unhook Jeep , lift it into the air , hook back up to lowbed and back under Jeep , then lower Jeep on to lowbed deck .

  1870. #1870camptramp2015-02-01 23:32

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordy driving #T-101 , hauling a Cypress 7280 Grapple Yarder from Robertson M/L to Fairservice M/L .

  1871. #1871camptramp2015-02-01 23:53

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 lowbeding an ex BCFP Hayes HDX water truck at Barge Ramp at Duke Point . not sure if was going to another camp or returning from a camp . I think this truck was once a sand truck at Caycuse Div. . One time in the mid 1980's Renfrew Div. borrowed this truck , I was sent over to bring it to Renfrew Div. , it had a V-12 Detroit with 6x4 mixing sticks trans in it . I checked the oil and water , fired it up and checked the brakes and tires . All was well so I headed back to Renfrew Div. . Got up the road out of sight of camp , as the engine seem gutless , I stopped to have a look in the sand box to see if it was loaded , nope not a grain of sand in it . Tried again got a couple of miles out of camp , stopped again to see if the brakes were dragging , no slack adjusters were hung up all the brake drums were stone cold . That old V-12 was just plain tired , it made for a long slow day .

  1872. #1872camptramp2015-02-02 00:09

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber #T-101 Hauling in Victoria Watershed for Kapoor Lumber , on 2-A (Acess M/L)

  1873. #1873camptramp2015-02-02 23:52

    I'm trying to figure out our new puzzle factory I hope this works . Little has been said about the Hillcrest Lumber company that last operated at Mesachie Lake in 1968 , Oz Nelson has sent me a link to it I hope this works . http://cecil.ashley.googlepages.com/

  1874. #1874camptramp2015-02-03 00:20

    oops didn't work

  1875. #1875donkey doctor2015-02-03 11:54

    Worked for me. "The Last Whistle" tab doesn't seem to do anything but scroll way down the page and you'l find the piece. regards d.d.

  1876. #1876DonBC2015-02-03 14:03

    If you click on "The Last Whistle" it also takes you to their news letter. About three years ago in a conversation with Cec Ashley I found out that he had worked in the logging industry and I told him about Heavy Equipment News and their forestry section. He has been a faithful follower since then. I also showed Doug Harrison this web site and this topic one time when he was at our house. As we scrolled through the pictures he would often stop me and say " I know that truck, I bought that when I worked with M&B". I tried to get him interested in this site as I thought that he would know many of the people as well. He had dinner with us on Sunday I asked him again and he said that because he is uncomfortable with computers he has never gone to this site. I enjoy it as I know nothing about the logging industry. My early background is all about farming in Saskatchewan.

  1877. #1877BTC2015-02-03 21:05

    Would that be Doug Harrison formaly of Northwest Bay?

  1878. #1878HDX2015-02-03 22:23

    We stumbled into some nice spruce today. Usual suspects involved. In the background you can see Glen Baird with his super snorkel yarding wide right of way. Mark is out front of him and he's hoe-chucking/loading.

  1879. #1879HDX2015-02-03 22:29

    Sorry Ian She was kind of dirty Didn't get a chance to wipe her down before this happened!!

  1880. #1880Bumpsteer2015-02-04 00:31

    That's ok, we'll let you off............... Ed

  1881. #1881dirty4fun2015-02-04 04:54

    Wow some very nice berries, Steve. Hey that truck would look great no matter how dirty she is. Did you repaint the front of the truck, the little sign is gone. Or does everyone know that as a matter of fact that you do own the road, now? Save a few of those for the summer I love to see those big logs, too. Looks like the working conditions are pretty darn good for this time of the year. Thanks for sharing the pictures, with us!

  1882. #1882Blk prince2015-02-04 08:54

    Well Steve,you have a line of defence with this crew,however I will hold back on the wipe down.

  1883. #1883Blk prince2015-02-04 08:59

    Dirty4fun,hello Jim are you still in the land of sun and sand or home in cold and snow?

  1884. #1884DonBC2015-02-04 12:50

    BTC, I really don't know if Doug lived in Northwest Bay or not. I know him well and he has become a somewhat famous as a painter. His father was involved in logging and he grew up in logging camps at the time that most logs were moved by trains. The locomotives from that time are the subject of many of his paintings as well as many of the boats that plied the waters of the west coast of the island. If you Google "The Last Whistle" which is the newsletter for the Hillcrest Lumber Co.'s employees reunion newsletter you can click on his name and get lots of details.

  1885. #1885dirty4fun2015-02-04 21:54

    Blk Prince, I am still in Florida, where they complain if it gets to be 50 degrees at night. Been doing some riding to stay in shape for my return to Vancouver Island this summer. Hope to spend more time there as I really enjoyed my time there, the scenery, and mostly the people I met who have become friends. Never met such a bunch of great people, willing to make my time there special.

  1886. #1886camptramp2015-02-05 00:47

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber ,# T-101 Loading "Heli Single Stem" old growth , Cragg Creek M/L .Spencer K. running loader . Nice "JAG" EH !!

  1887. #1887camptramp2015-02-05 00:52

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 Hauling Alder Old Wolf Cr. in the Victoria Watershed , Dale Chumley running loader .

  1888. #1888KPhelps2015-02-06 10:39

    Look familiar? KP

  1889. #1889KPhelps2015-02-06 11:25

    From the same time: [video=youtube;8K8CU1DDzqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8CU1DDzqc[/video] KP

  1890. #1890KPhelps2015-02-06 11:32

    And if you really enjoy listening to an unmuffled Cummins: [video=youtube;y8dkQox--Ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8dkQox--Ns[/video] All from Alberni truck show in 2010. KP

  1891. #1891KPhelps2015-02-06 11:34

    More of same: [video=youtube;Ks567p71mxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks567p71mxk[/video] KP

  1892. #1892KPhelps2015-02-06 11:42

    Alberni again: KP

  1893. #1893KPhelps2015-02-06 16:23

    A P-16 captured in the wild up Nanaimo Lakes at the junction between main road and Green River valley. (image can be found on google earth at that location) Pulling a low bed, apparently brought a grapple yarder over from the Alberni area. This was 2009. The Cat with the train is courtesy Jack Judson in Ladysmith. He was driving, probably in the '70s. Also up Nanaimo Lakes. I have some shots of the Pacific from the rear that I will dig up. KP

  1894. #1894KPhelps2015-02-06 16:34

    Logging doesn't stop at the dump, though. Tug herding a boom through Dodd Narrows. KP

  1895. #1895KPhelps2015-02-06 17:35

    I guess tugs are fair game for this thread? Certainly an essential part of the machinery spectrum in the industry. Hecate Straits in Nanaimo Hbr. Not the worlds prettiest tug, but solid and kind of brutal looking. It had just fueled up and idled dockside for a good 15 minutes while one of the crew ran up into town. I just sat on the dock and listened. It sounds like an old diesel lokie, especially when it spools up and gives of a nice turbo whistle. Victory and friends. Smaller, but a bit better looking line-wise.

  1896. #1896KPhelps2015-02-06 18:48

    A couple more tug shots: Chemainus Towing "Titan" in Dodd Narrows. KP

  1897. #1897Len Burton2015-02-07 03:01

    I can relate to these pics of Dodd Narrows. I've been stuck many times on my boat waiting for these little "Hot Rods" to go through Dodd Narrows at slack. The old Hecate Straits looks just as ugly as she did when I was Chief Engineer on her. In her day she was one of the fastest towboats on the coast. You were right about the power, a Detroit Diesel V8 EMD (Electro Motive Diesel) engine. When I was on her we towed scows to Rupert,Ocean Falls and the Charlottes. Good pics of all of the towboats tied up at the Petrocan Fuel dock in Nanaimo inner basin. I'll see if I can find a pic of the Hecate Straits in better shape when I was on her.

  1898. #1898VIPMedia2015-02-07 21:38

    Cowichan Bay Railway Trestle Here is a video of a old trestle in Cowichan Bay . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhJnrRDlHs

  1899. #1899camptramp2015-02-07 22:25

    Gordy I , Munns Lumber #T-101 moving a Madill 124 on Walker M/L .

  1900. #1900camptramp2015-02-07 22:36

    Gordy I. , Munns Lumber , #T-101 at Duke Point Nanimo .

  1901. #1901camptramp2015-02-07 22:39

    Gordy I. #T-104 doing lowbed duty at Shaw Cr. ( North shore of Lake Cowichan ).

  1902. #1902Len Burton2015-02-08 00:38

    Tow coming northbound through Dodd Narrows.

  1903. #1903Len Burton2015-02-08 00:40

    Jervis Queen towing a boom boat up Malaspina strait.

  1904. #1904Hank R2015-02-08 08:34

    Really like the Tug pictures, never been close to one.

  1905. #1905Blk prince2015-02-08 10:58

    Len Burton,we still get log barges dumping in Ladysmith harbour. Is the Capt. Bob still in service? Do you know how the name was given to this vessel?

  1906. #1906Len Burton2015-02-08 15:40

    Black Prince, I'm not sure how Rivtow named Captain Bob. Most of Rivtows names came from former Rivtow Captains some just retained the name they came with. Rivtow was originally called Straits Towing, then Rivtow Straits towing, then Rivtow. When they became Rivtow they bought a lot of tugs that were owned by independents that were being sold off. Rivtow and Seaspan were fierce competitors on the coast. Some of Rivtow tugs were good to work on some weren't. Rivtow Captain Bob was built in Vancouver Shipyard in 1982. If memory serves me she was sold to SMIT/Lloyd Towing around 2008 changing her colours from Rivtow green to Smit/Lloyd colours with a yellow stripe. Around 2011 Seaspan International purchased her and shortened her name to Captain Bob, she kept this name until 2013 when her name was changed to Seaspan Royal. She still dumps her log barge in Ladysmith Hbr. When I make reference to tugs as "Hot Rods", that name came in around the 70s. They were the smaller tugs around 50 to 60 feet in length and were way overpowered for their size. I hope this helps.

  1907. #1907RCP572015-02-08 16:10

    Over the years we've watched Captain Bob rolling it's guts out while coming out of or going past Nootka Sound many times. I've never been on it but it looks like it wallows around horribly in the trough or in a following sea compared to some of the other tugs. Obviously it is a very capable unit but it doesn't look comfortable at all!lol Looks like you would need a seat belt to stay in the chair!

  1908. #1908Len Burton2015-02-08 16:18

    Here are a few pics for K Phelps and BLK Prince of the Hecate Straits when I was on her. Attached are some pics inside including the Engine Room and EMD Main Engine, changing a power pack (weight 650 pounds), mess deck. The pics I took alongside the dock were taken at Rivtows main office on Commissioner Street in Vancouver.

  1909. #1909dirty4fun2015-02-08 18:39

    Len, That engine looks clean enough that you could eat on it. More great pictures and stories being shared, can't get enough of them. The only tug I was ever on was sitting beside a dry dock in N. Florida. It was a rust bucket and looked like it was only fit for rats to be on. Just so much stuff to see the next time I am out there!

  1910. #1910VIPMedia2015-02-08 19:14

    Here is a video of her [video=youtube;q8XHU6TWWpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8XHU6TWWpw[/video]

  1911. #1911Len Burton2015-02-08 20:57

    Dirty for fun, I was always particular with my engine room. Easier to spot leaks if you keep them clean. I liked GM engines in general, from the 49 series to the big EMDS. Tow boats run full ahead when underway and the 2 stroke engines are best suited for that. You just can't run a four stroke flat out for 24/7 like they do on tow boats. My experience with four stroke engines run full ahead: Cummins V12s Fresh Water manifold used to leak like a sieve, so I had to throttle back, our Coast Guard cutters were powered with them. Not great when going out on a rescue. Cat engines used to rattle like they had a hand full of bearings in them. The Cats were the ones that used to grenade themselves for no reason. Marine Diesels have crankcase explosion doors on the bottom of the block, supposed to blow open when the bottom end ignited the oil mist in the crankcase from a hot bearing. The doors are spring loaded and will unload if ignition happens. It still makes one hell of a noise when they blow open. Working in an Engine Room isn't for everyone. You need a cast iron stomach if you work the West Coast especially in the winter. It's extremely loud, in excess of 120 decibles and it's hot. Just about every engine room I have worked in is about 135 ° fah so you have to have a pretty good tolerance for heat. I guess you could compare it to being under the hood of a car and you definitely learn what noises are normal and what are not. The worst boat I worked on would roll tied to the dock was the Ocean Master. She was built in Holland. Everything in the Engine Room was in Dutch including the engine telegraph. It had a Stork Workspoor 8 Cylinder engine. No valve covers, the top end was open and had to be oiled every couple of hours. Did I mention this was done on a cat walk.

  1912. #1912RCP572015-02-08 21:17

    Sea Span Commodore off of Nootka Sound 2013. Not sure where they were coming from but I would guess Kyuquot or Esperanza. There was some decent looking wood on the barge.

  1913. #1913Len Burton2015-02-08 21:34

    Great pics. It's good to see log barges still working the coast. What kind of boat were you on I can see Vancouver Island in the background.

  1914. #1914RCP572015-02-08 22:02

    Yep, Nootka Island in the background of the first couple of pictures. We were long lining.

  1915. #1915KPhelps2015-02-08 22:08

    Thanks for all the Hecate Straits photos. My understanding was that RivTow was originally River Towing. They may have bought Raake Marine on Harrison Lake sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. Raake Marine had a large floating office/boatshed on the lake when I was small. They later disappeared, and I assumed that they were bought by RivTow, but my recollections are from childhood and probably not too accurate. In the course of managing for Pretty's around Harrison Lake and at Hope through the 50s and 60s, my dad was well acquainted with Norm and Cecil Cosulich and Lucille Johnstone, the builders of RivTow. But back to the Island. A couple more shots of the Pacific with lowbed at Nanaimo Lakes: And a shot of the 1951 Pacific at Alberni in 2010. KP

  1916. #1916Blk prince2015-02-08 22:36

    Len,thanks for updating the status on the Capt. Bob. I now know what to look for if I spot a barge in Ladysmith harbour. The new colours with the white top end makes her look so top heavy in my eyes. A break in the colour would be nice. Thanks again.

  1917. #1917diamondtguy2015-02-09 01:05

    I find the pic of the P-16 interesting and has me thinking...It appears to be Cat powered (3408 ??)I am going to guess its been repowered.The factory installations of 3408's in P-16's is very few.I would also guess the truck is late 70's early 80's...I also notice there is no heat exchanger mounted up top of the right front frame rail..Its possible it was moved as the exhaust is routed over the rail or the truck has manual transmissions..Working stricktly off my memory here.....Its been a few years.......Cory

  1918. #1918dirty4fun2015-02-09 05:46

    Thanks Len, for sharing the information, so much to learn when you have lived in the Midwest most of your life. I had thought it would awful lot of noise, hadn't thought about the heat. It would take a special person to work in those conditions. Interesting to learn about the 2 stroke motors, holding up better. Quite a few less parts to be moving at a steady wide open. Reg now I have to try and see a barge loaded with logs, I thought they had quit using them. Great pictures thanks for sharing them, with us.

  1919. #191949pacific2015-02-09 12:07

    Cory it's got a 3406 with the automatic in it still.the tranny cooler is up beside the motor on the right side. This is One of cougar inlet loggings trucks they go by bear lake logging now

  1920. #1920sfogi2015-02-09 12:48

    Amazing video!

  1921. #1921diamondtguy2015-02-09 12:58

    Interesting....didn't cross my mind that a 3406 would be retrofitted to a P-16.I know the 3406 has come a long way since I put one in.I have always liked the engine....Thanks

  1922. #1922camptramp2015-02-09 23:34

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 moving Grapple Yarder in the Victoria Water shed to work on the Kapoor Lumber lands .

  1923. #1923camptramp2015-02-09 23:42

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber #T-101 Moving Madill Processor in Kapoor Lumber lands .

  1924. #1924camptramp2015-02-09 23:51

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber #T-101 moving a Faller Buncher in Kapoor lands .

  1925. #1925camptramp2015-02-09 23:55

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving Madill log loader into Kapoor Lands through Victoria Water Shed roads .

  1926. #1926camptramp2015-02-10 22:23

    Gordy I. , Munns Lumber , #T-101 Moving Madill 122 Grapple Yarder on Ferry to Victoria from Ritchie Bros. Auction on River Rd. Vancouver . There was 4 inches clearance between top of machine and ceiling of Ferry . The man himself Gordy I. burning both ends of the candle getting the job done .

  1927. #1927camptramp2015-02-10 22:32

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber #T-101 , Contract Lowbed move for Mount Sicker Lumber at Jordan River B.C. "Prentice Faller Buncher"

  1928. #1928camptramp2015-02-10 22:34

    Gordy I . Munns Lumber , "Fever" a 1997 Peterbuilt 378 Logger wit h a fresh coat of paint .

  1929. #1929camptramp2015-02-10 23:39

    Oz Nelson , Munns Lumber , Shaw Cr. Oz Nelson driving Western Star log truck , Bruce Wilson running Madill loader ,

  1930. #1930camptramp2015-02-10 23:42

    Oz Nelson , Munns Lumber Oz Nelson drriving logging truck Bruce Wilson running Madill 3800 loader .

  1931. #1931camptramp2015-02-13 23:37

    Oz Nelson , not sure could be Timberwest or Munns Lumber . Madill 3800 using a piece of steel I beam about 12 to 14 feet long with a hole in it to grab with grapple to sweep debris off road and landing .

  1932. #1932camptramp2015-02-13 23:39

    OZ Nelson Shaw Cr.

  1933. #1933camptramp2015-02-13 23:53

    Oz Nelson Munns Lumber Shaw Cr Charlie Baxter Excavator Operator , Pat Steacy Rock Driller .

  1934. #1934camptramp2015-02-13 23:56

    Oz Nelson , Munns Lumber Shaw Cr. Garnit Margetish running Madill 3800 log loader Oz Nelson driving log truck .

  1935. #1935camptramp2015-02-14 00:02

    Bruce W. Hayes Forest Service .

  1936. #1936camptramp2015-02-15 00:26

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Toms Cr. 2003 Ernie Harrison running the #54-85 075 Madill Super Snorkel , Bruce Wilson running #56-106 Madill 3800 Hoe Chucker , Two of the best on the same setting .

  1937. #1937camptramp2015-02-15 00:29

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  1938. #1938camptramp2015-02-15 00:31

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  1939. #1939camptramp2015-02-15 00:33

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  1940. #1940camptramp2015-02-15 23:10

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 moving 475 Barko log loader from Kapoors Lands through Victoria Water Shed roads to yard at Chemainuc B.C.

  1941. #1941camptramp2015-02-15 23:27

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hoe Chucking on Copper M/L over looking Cowichan Lake .

  1942. #1942camptramp2015-02-15 23:30

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hoe Chucking looking across Cowichan Lake at Youbou B.C.

  1943. #1943camptramp2015-02-15 23:33

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Copper M/L

  1944. #1944camptramp2015-02-15 23:41

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hoe Chucking on Copper M/L .

  1945. #1945donkey doctor2015-02-16 12:12

    Beautiful pics camptramp. This truly is the best place on earth. Also like seeing the machinery I spent my working life building and repairing doing what it was created for.Thanks for posting. d.d.

  1946. #1946Hank R2015-02-16 12:32

    Beautiful pictures, keep them coming great place to be working there.

  1947. #1947dirty4fun2015-02-16 19:20

    Thanks for posting the beautiful country side with so many neat machines operating in it. I sure appreciate you taking the time AL to do all the posting that you do.

  1948. #1948camptramp2015-02-16 22:58

    All the credit should go to Bruce Wilson , some of these pictures were pass on to him , but most of the Hoe Chucking and Madill pictures were taken by him , and like anything else Bruce has done , its a class act . He has loaned us his slides which I am scanning , he has also loaned us a "Flash Drive" with hundreds of pictures . And "donkey doctor" you will love the Power Point pictures he put together when Munns Lumber wanted him to compare Hitachi or John Deere Hoe Chucker VS. Madill Hoe Chucker , Bruce's Madill 3800 was his baby and was treated as such , rub marks are normal wear and tear , Bruce prided himself on not abusing his machine . He could take a Hoe Chucker up a side hill as ugly as any body and bring it back in tack , he prefered afternoon shift as he was usually double shifting . The day shift usually creamed the easy parts of the setting , leaving the ugly area's for Bruce to deal with at night , he would still get good production . Bruce is not big in stature , but as an all around "Logger" he has big shoe's to fill .

  1949. #1949camptramp2015-02-16 23:14

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordy I. driving T-101 on lowbed duty moving a Hitachi excavator , then moving a Cat on Kapoor's Land behind the Victoria Water Sheld .

  1950. #1950camptramp2015-02-16 23:50

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO The following pictures show the #56-101 a Madill 3800 new for Bruce at TW , then used , before Bruce stayed with TW on Private Lands , when Teal Jones purchased TFL #46 off TW , the #56-101 stayed with Teal Jones , the last pictures show what happened's to a machine when someone goes "Hoe Chucking" that doesn't know when to quit on to steep of a side hill .

  1951. #1951camptramp2015-02-16 23:52

    Bruce W. Madill 3800 #56-101 .

  1952. #1952camptramp2015-02-17 00:19

    Pardon me the picture with the mural on it is not the #56-101 .

  1953. #1953kiwi450x2015-02-17 02:23

    For what it's worth, I'm enjoying all your pics too Camptramp.

  1954. #1954camptramp2015-02-17 09:41

    Thanks kiwi450x I keep asking and every time I think I've pretty much rum out of pictures someone like Gordy I. or Bruce W. comes through with a "Bunch" to keep us entertained . I was at the Duncan "A&W" for coffee the other morning , one of my old friends that had loaned us a few pictures in the past , has dug out some more pictures he has in storage . Hopefully they keep trickling in . dirty4fun looking for forward to seeing you on your next "Cruise Across North America" , I like your style , some one once told us to work smarter not harder , they should have the Northern States shoveled out before you migrate North . LOL

  1955. #1955Sigurd2015-02-17 15:43

    Thanks a lot both HDX and DBDLS for comments about my truck engine questions, same goes to you Camptramp for all the pics you post, great work!

  1956. #1956ben46a2015-02-18 10:13

    Camptramp you're quite the archivist, I would be amazing to see all of these pictures In a hardcover book someday.

  1957. #1957Vigilant2015-02-18 20:44

    He's a Tramp 'cause he does it for free. ROFL!

  1958. #1958camptramp2015-02-18 23:47

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Here's some pictures you won't find to many of , an afternoon shift Hoe Chucker's view of Sunset , and night logging .

  1959. #1959camptramp2015-02-18 23:49

    Bruce W. more

  1960. #1960camptramp2015-02-18 23:52

    Bruce W. Night Logging .

  1961. #1961camptramp2015-02-18 23:54

    Bruce W. more

  1962. #1962camptramp2015-02-19 00:41

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordty I. moving 124 Madill grapple yarder with P-16 Pacific on Columbia 100 ton lowbed Boneyard Lake to Butlers M/L . "#40-96" P-16 had a Red Signature 600 Cummins , Alison 6 speed trans , 120,000 Planetary rear ends .

  1963. #1963camptramp2015-02-19 00:45

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Ralf Wily "posing" between T-101 and T-107 - at the "Stamp Hammer" at Junction of Boneyard Lake M/L and Butlers M/L .

  1964. #1964donkey doctor2015-02-19 13:37

    A few pics of the upcoming RB auction at Duke Point. Taken yesterday. Not the best pics I've ever taken as I only had my phone.d.d.

  1965. #1965donkey doctor2015-02-19 13:42

    A few more. d.d.

  1966. #1966donkey doctor2015-02-19 13:45

    Last one. d.d.

  1967. #1967dunwurken2015-02-19 14:06

    Back when we first started hoe chucking on afternoon or graveyard shift (mid 1980s) you would loose track of where the road was that you where hoe chucking to if you were out 3-400 ft or more. You are working in a bubble of light which is hard to see beyond. I did hear stories of guys hoe chucking sideways or angling off in the wrong direction. We put those amber highway battery powered flashing lights on top of the pickup to see which way to chuck. 30 years later has there been a better solution?

  1968. #1968Doug19662015-02-19 16:16

    RB Auction?? Hi,what's up? I see it is a lot of IPL trucks. They going down or what? Doug

  1969. #1969donkey doctor2015-02-19 19:50

    Came off the 9:45 ferry at Duke Point yesterday. Had Dormans name on it. Did not go to the auction yard. Pretty poor pictures with the phone and no I wasn't driving d.d.

  1970. #1970camptramp2015-02-19 22:54

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber ,P-16 Pacific and Columbia lowbed , filling up water tank at Mesachie lake water fill up , to move 235 Cat "Grapple Yarder Backspar Hoe" up Fleet M/L .

  1971. #1971camptramp2015-02-19 23:05

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Ex Timberwest #40-90 P-16 Pacific Moving Madill 124 grapple yarder on Sooke Main - Victoria Water Shed roads . We lowered Boom onto water tank to clear Power Lines . Mainline was quite straight so couldn't turn much on corners . Al Brooks and Doug Kersch in 1st picture , Gordy I. and Doug K. in 2nd picture .

  1972. #1972camptramp2015-02-19 23:13

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Photo by Al Brooks . Moving Cat grader on Butler M/L Sooke B.C. with #40-90 P-16 Pacific , Gordy I. leaning on bumper . 2nd picture is T-101 lowbeding #40-90 back to camp after V12-71 T.T. had engine problems. Picture taken near Williams Cr.

  1973. #1973camptramp2015-02-19 23:45

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber Mckay Cr.

  1974. #1974camptramp2015-02-19 23:47

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber , Mckay Cr.

  1975. #1975camptramp2015-02-19 23:49

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber Mckay Cr.

  1976. #1976camptramp2015-02-20 00:32

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , View attachment 131427 View attachment 131428 View attachment 131429 First Hoe Chucker #56-36 Kobelco operator Bruce Wilson .

  1977. #1977camptramp2015-02-20 00:34

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO #56-36 Kobelco . View attachment 131430 View attachment 131431

  1978. #1978RCP572015-02-23 09:24

    My wife and I went for a 400km drive through the back roads on Saturday just to get away from it all. We had a good time cruising some new ground(to us) in the Caycuse/Walbran area. We came across a couple of railway artifacts along the way. I am guessing that there is much more to see if we knew where to look(hint, hint). We are assuming that the roller was used to compact the railway before laying down the ties? Were these tanks on the train or used in camp? The forward one almost appears to have a heat shield on it but it was wet on the more exposed side so I didn't get a good look? Anyway, I'm sure someone on here knows exactly what the stuff all was used for... Reg

  1979. #1979caycusion2015-02-23 20:55

    the roller is made from a drum out of the old wyssen skyline machine and was an experiment by the shop to crush ******heads story goes that they towed it that far and it didn't do a damn thing and was left there, ironically right by what is called the wyssen hill. where they shotgunned right into the lake.

  1980. #1980caycusion2015-02-23 20:59

    The tanks had to be from the train given their location as the tracks crossed 100ft up the rd. And yes there is some more old junk close by.

  1981. #1981RCP572015-02-23 21:14

    Cool! Thanks for filling us in. Kinda figured that everywhere it was paved had been railway in the old days and that there may be more goodies in the woods. We enjoy cruising around and looking at the old stuff. We always talk about wanting to see the big trees in the area as well but too many huggers are always around for that. Those type of people don't seem to be as interested in old pieces of iron so at least we can be alone while admiring them...lol We'll have to go back someday soon and take a closer look. Reg

  1982. #1982camptramp2015-03-01 23:55

    Not sure how that Iron got to the Caycuse M/L at Lacy Cr. . The rail road use to cross Lacy Cr.and follow Nixon for a little ways then switch back to climb up to the Caycuse Summit which is at the top of the hill on the truck road past Lacy Cr., after the rail road was torn up the grade was rebuilt as a truck road now called C4 . Near the bottom of that adverse truck road is the remains of a train wreck , which is where that Iron came from . In Ken Hallberg's Autobiography on pages 102 - 105 he describe's how the ONE SPOT a Climax Locie had a run away and ran into back of the Five SPOT'S loaded skeleton cars , which had started down the grade first . When I hauled logs off C4 I use to be able to see the wreck below the road grade where it had been left after the wreck , with all use able parts stripped off it . Kind of a shame people can't leave things alone .

  1983. #1983camptramp2015-03-02 00:09

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , HBO's first Hoe Chucker #56-36 a Kobelco operator Bruce Wilson

  1984. #1984camptramp2015-03-02 00:13

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO #56-36 Kobelco Hoe Chucker .

  1985. #1985camptramp2015-03-02 00:51

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , trucks parked at Chemainus yard

  1986. #1986camptramp2015-03-02 22:17

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber LT-101 with 9 axle Aspen lowbed rented from A.J.(Al&Joey Williamson) Heavey Haul Lowbed for moving Hitachi 450 Excavator from Victoria Water Shed to West side of Cowichan lake ( McKay Cr.) . First two pictures taken at Munns Chemainus Yard (Old Domans Mill site , equipment in back ground , would be part of the first big Ritchie Bros. Auction .)

  1987. #1987camptramp2015-03-02 22:25

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving Hitachi 450 Excavator from Victoria Water Shed to West side of Cowichan Lake ( Mckay Cr.) , on rented A.J .He avy Haul 9 axle hyd. Aspen lowbed . Legal with no bucket , very little fuel in tank .

  1988. #1988camptramp2015-03-05 23:58

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber #T-101 doing lowbed duty

  1989. #1989camptramp2015-03-06 00:12

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving 009 Madill yarder from Mesachie Lake to the "Big Equipment Auction " at Chemainus in '05 . Gordy I. driving Madill , Oz Nelson driving HDX Hayes push truck . Route taken was around Lake Cowichan off highway to the Nitinat road system , over the height of land down the Nanaimo Lakes roads to the Copper Canyon Roads to Chemainus . Was a smooth trip except for clearing "Fair Leads" on top of tower at some "Rock Faces"

  1990. #1990camptramp2015-03-06 22:39

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 dropping off 450 Hatachi excavator at Duke Point .

  1991. #1991camptramp2015-03-06 23:25

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Div. A Madill Faller - Buncher working at the Caycuse Camp site .

  1992. #1992camptramp2015-03-06 23:27

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO. Madill faller - buncher working at Caycuse Camp site

  1993. #1993camptramp2015-03-06 23:29

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Madill faller - buncher working at Caycuse Camp site .

  1994. #1994camptramp2015-03-06 23:32

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Madill faller - buncher working at Caycuse Camp site , some times in bigger timber , the faller - buncher needs a helping hand .

  1995. #1995camptramp2015-03-08 01:00

    Bruce W , Timberwest HBO A view of Lake Cowichan from the top of Tom's Creek ( in Caycuse area )

  1996. #1996camptramp2015-03-08 01:04

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO . A Hoe Chuckers view of a Madill Processor working and Madill Loader loading a log truck on Tom's Creek .

  1997. #1997camptramp2015-03-08 01:06

    Bruce w. Timberwest HBO Log truck being loaded on Tom's Cr.

  1998. #1998camptramp2015-03-08 23:55

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Tom's Cr. Art Nickerson driving the #41-154 Western Star logging truck being loaded by a 2850 Madill loader with processed wood from the #56-79 Madill 2850 Processor .

  1999. #1999camptramp2015-03-08 23:57

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Tom's Cr.

  2000. #2000camptramp2015-03-09 00:07

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #LT-101 , moving Cypress 6280 grapple yarder from Robertson M/L to Forest Service M/L .

  2001. #2001Vigilant2015-03-09 13:21

    Must have had tome public roads to travel since they broke it down and lowered the cab..... Would have still been a permit load down here at least in terms of width, and probably due to weight as well, even moving it partially dismantled. I remember those days years ago of grossing over 100,000 on a lowboy through steep, winding mountain roads in an ancient R Model with no Jake.... Never wrecked, but I sure did learn how to be stubbornly patient........

  2002. #2002camptramp2015-03-09 22:46

    It seems like it was a lot of work to move a grapple yarder that big down a public highway less than 10 miles , when the outfit owned smaller Madill grapple yarders ment to be broken down to move on the public highway's .

  2003. #2003camptramp2015-03-09 23:01

    Bruce W . Timberwest HBO a Hoe Chucker's view of a side hill up Raymond Creek , looking down on the #54-85 a Madill 075 log loader with a Super Snorkel .

  2004. #2004camptramp2015-03-09 23:03

    Bruce W. Timberwest Raymond Creek .

  2005. #2005camptramp2015-03-09 23:18

    Gordy I .Munns Lumber , 1st picture , a contract move for Derek Bjornson's Terex Rock Truck . 2nd picture , Ex M&BKenworth ramp truck moved to Chemainus yard from Northwest Bay , 3rd picture is Lee House on #102 KWT'800 self loading logging truck at Chemainus B.C. (When Lee drove it it was the pride of the fleet) 4th picture is an old Autocar Fire tanker and a 1979 Peterbuilt in yard at Mesachie Lake . (Diamonds painted by Gordy I.)

  2006. #2006Vigilant2015-03-09 23:55

    ACar looks to be late 60s or early 70s vintage....

  2007. #2007camptramp2015-03-10 22:56

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO. the #40-140 P-16 Pacific Pulling lowbed with 3800 M adill on board , the #40-139 P-16 Pacific pushing , up Tom's Cr.

  2008. #2008camptramp2015-03-10 23:06

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber 1st picture , moving 2 Clark Rangers Skidder's on 1 load - Chemainus yard (came from Victoria Water Shed ) the DOT at Duncan North bound Scales didn't like my imaginative style of chaining them down . LOL 2nd picture Moving Cat 14G Grader on Camp 3 M/L

  2009. #2009camptramp2015-03-10 23:13

    Gordy I . 1st picture , LW-924 Kenworth water trucks parked at Northwest Bay (Island Timberland's) 2nd picture , The Mars Water Bomber flying over Cassidy Airport , "had a little truck show&shine that day" .

  2010. #2010camptramp2015-03-10 23:40

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Tom's Cr. a rare sight a pickup that hasn't been beat into the ground .

  2011. #2011camptramp2015-03-12 00:04

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Check it out ....moved these 2 Hitachi's 200 Excavators on 1 load (off highway) They were both working on Nitinat side of Naniamo Lakes Div. doing Road Maintenance - work at end of Camp 3 M/L. Both machines finished at same time, so I figured because the road was in such bad shape , I would save myself another trip over it to get the other Hitachi . Took them both to Caycuse . Unloaded one , tie'd down other one for a move on the highway move out of Caycuse , then only had to go back to Caycuse for second machine .Got some strange looks along the way , but lowbed was good for 65 ton's.

  2012. #2012camptramp2015-03-12 23:40

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , A Hoe Chuckers view of the #54-85 a Madill 075 Super Snorkel working .

  2013. #2013camptramp2015-03-12 23:52

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Toms Creek #54-85 Madill 075 working .

  2014. #2014camptramp2015-03-13 00:06

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving boom for Madill 144 grapple yarder , going to Auction at Chemainus B.C. 2005 . Picture taken at Mesachie Lake Shop next to beginning of Hillcrest M/L .

  2015. #2015camptramp2015-03-14 00:08

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Brand new W-900 Kenworth specked out by Gordy I. , ordered by Munns Lumber in 2005 . Picture shows it at Old Kenworth Sales Lot on Kenworth Rd. Nanaimo B.C. . Munns needn't take delivery of it and Gordy never got to drive it .

  2016. #2016camptramp2015-03-14 00:17

    Gordy I. Munns Lumber ,Were running out of Gordy I's pictures ,so we'll leave them with a picture of the 1972 KW LW-924 (which would later be cloned as a Malloch & Moseley logging truck) and a 1979 Peterbuilt formerly owned by Cragg Creek Logging , which became Munns Lumber in past better day's.

  2017. #2017Vigilant2015-03-14 01:14

    Gotta love a W900B.

  2018. #2018John Shipp2015-03-14 03:42

    Gotta love this thread. Found you guys couple of weeks ago, has taken until now to read this one thread, all the pictures and info are excellent. Never seen so many great logging pictures. Cheers.

  2019. #2019Ben A Round2015-03-14 12:45

    The 850 KW shown here (324) pic. no. 1 looks very familiar. Anyone got the history on her?

  2020. #2020HDX2015-03-14 13:28

    Welcome to the site, Ben-A-Round. Lots of info here. Maybe 075 can jump in and help you with this request.

  2021. #2021Ben A Round2015-03-14 22:39

    Thanks HDX. What a great site to spend time on gazing at all the history people have captured and shared. I love it!!

  2022. #2022camptramp2015-03-15 23:10

    Bruce W. Timberwest , Tom's Cr. #54-85 a Madill 075 , and an early morning Summer Sun Rise .

  2023. #2023camptramp2015-03-15 23:17

    Bruce w. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr. #54-85 a Madill 075 , operator Ernie Harrison standing by machine .

  2024. #2024camptramp2015-03-15 23:21

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  2025. #2025camptramp2015-03-15 23:38

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr. #54-85 a Madill 075 , #56-106 a Madill 3800 .

  2026. #2026camptramp2015-03-15 23:40

    Bruce W . Timberwest Tom's Cr.

  2027. #2027camptramp2015-03-15 23:58

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr. a Madill Faller Buncher working , I think its Dave Fathergill operating it .

  2028. #2028camptramp2015-03-16 00:00

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  2029. #2029Vigilant2015-03-16 00:11

    Looks like second growth stumps still rotting away, and they appear to be working in third growth timber.

  2030. #2030camptramp2015-03-16 01:02

    I don't think so , I don't know the Caycuse area as I do the Renfrew area , but I'm pretty sure it was logged in the 1940's by rail road . When we were up in these areas we could follow the old Rail Grades , if you looked carefully . The Engineering to get to the top of some of those hills was amazing . There are areas on Vancouver Island that had been burnt by wild fires around the time Europeans discovered the West Coast of North American , that could be the reason there are small stumps from the first pass by the early loggers .

  2031. #2031Vigilant2015-03-16 05:22

    Interesting. So it appears this would be second growth, with some apparently small old growth stumps rotting away.... Thanks, Mr. Tramp. Again, I thank you.

  2032. #2032camptramp2015-03-16 22:19

    Bruce W . Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr . Madill Faller Buncher working .

  2033. #2033camptramp2015-03-16 22:21

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Tom's Cr .

  2034. #2034camptramp2015-03-16 22:49

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr. A rare sighting , I guess the Faller Buncher couldn't get to the top of "Setting" , there is still a need for Hand Fallers . Bob Rodgers , a litter past prime but still getting the job done .

  2035. #2035camptramp2015-03-16 22:51

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr.

  2036. #2036camptramp2015-03-16 23:02

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Tom's Cr. #54-85 Madill 075 working .

  2037. #2037camptramp2015-03-17 22:37

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Bruce is running #56-102 Madill 3800c Hoe Chucker , Todd White is running the 2800 Madill Hoe Chucker , on Hill 60 .

  2038. #2038camptramp2015-03-17 22:40

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Bruce and Todd White Hoe Chucking on Hill 60 .

  2039. #2039camptramp2015-03-17 23:03

    Buce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 , Nick Sohye operating Madill log Processor .

  2040. #2040camptramp2015-03-17 23:07

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hill 60 , Madill Log Processor

  2041. #2041Vigilant2015-03-17 23:16

    Quick question if y'awl don't mind. I noticed a few lone trees left standing out in the middle of the clearcut. Were they left to re-seed, or do they typically grow seedlings in nurseries and replant either manually or mechanically?

  2042. #2042camptramp2015-03-17 23:21

    Not sure about the odd tree left standing , could be left as a seed tree's . Most areas are replanted manually with nursery raised seedlings.

  2043. #2043lowbed driver2015-03-18 15:50

    I think they are left for the birds. I know in the interior they are called "Raptor trees". It is a place where owls,hawks etc can sit and watch for rodents or rest if they are flying around the clear cut looking for a meal. I also believe other birds can stop and have a safe resting place while flying across the clear cut. Cheers L.D.

  2044. #2044Vigilant2015-03-18 20:13

    Looks as though they left three trees, roughly in the shape of a triangle.

  2045. #2045camptramp2015-03-18 22:43

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 . The top of "Hill 60" was probably logged by Mayo Lumber in the 1930's by Rail Road , it always amazes me the areas these early Loggers got to with their rail roads . This setting is on top of one of the higher hills or low mountains in this area over looking the Cowichan Valley , on a clear day mountain peaks from Vancouver's North Shore to Mt. Baker and beyond are visible . One of the great benefits of the age of mechanization , was the kind operator who would grab a piece of scrape log and cut it up in 14-16 inch lengths , with the processor . A wheel barrow load in the rigging box on the last load of the day , kept my work shop warm on many a cold Winters Day.

  2046. #2046camptramp2015-03-18 22:46

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60

  2047. #2047camptramp2015-03-18 22:48

    Bruce W. Timberwest , Hill 60

  2048. #2048camptramp2015-03-18 23:01

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 , Operator Barney Edgar and Welder Jim Perreaux checking out a Processor Head .

  2049. #2049camptramp2015-03-18 23:03

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hill 60 .

  2050. #2050RonG2015-03-19 02:46

    Love to see that old Dodge pickup.I have one just like it,same color.Mine is an '83.Ron G

  2051. #2051camptramp2015-03-19 22:07

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 . Don Wilson ( an old BCFP guy who drove the #203 an early HDX Hayes then drove the #6-236 an HDX Hayes brand new )was out from Alberta where he now makes his home . As younger brother Bruce was working on Hill 60 not far from my home , we took a drive up to see him after Supper .

  2052. #2052camptramp2015-03-19 22:25

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Geordie Rankin of the well known locally , Trav Rankin & Sons family of Logging Trucks and Lowbed Drivers , delivers #56-102 a Madill 3800 , to a setting on top of Hill 60.

  2053. #2053camptramp2015-03-19 22:27

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hill 60

  2054. #2054camptramp2015-03-19 22:30

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60

  2055. #2055camptramp2015-03-19 22:37

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 #56-75 Madill 3800 hoe chucking .

  2056. #2056camptramp2015-03-19 22:42

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60. Richie Bennett , driving his dads (Poor Rich Bennett) self loader logging truck .

  2057. #2057camptramp2015-03-19 22:53

    Bruce W. Timberwest , Hill 60

  2058. #2058camptramp2015-03-19 22:58

    Bruce W. Timberwest , Hill 60. #41-154 Western Star tridrive , driver Art Nickerson having a good day .

  2059. #2059camptramp2015-03-19 23:06

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Hill 60 #41-121 , Western Star , driver Mike Cross , Mikes a very talented guy , good truck driver , but started driving logging truck after many years in the shop, a fabricater / welder , heavy duty mechanic . He can build a custom Harley or rebuild a P-16 Pacific .

  2060. #2060camptramp2015-03-20 22:55

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , C4 , #56-101 a new Madill 3800 hoe chucking

  2061. #2061camptramp2015-03-20 22:58

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , C4 , #56-101 Madill 3800 .

  2062. #2062camptramp2015-03-20 23:00

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , C4 , #56-101 a new Madill 3800 .

  2063. #2063Vigilant2015-03-21 00:06

    I may be wrong, but it would seem that grapple skidders would be faster and more economical in that terrain. Was hoe chucking specified for less ground destruction, or am I missing something here? As a young lad, I sat on the bank of Higgins Slough in Central Park, WA back in the mid Sixties, and watched Roberts Brothers Logging "hoe chuck" a swamp with small Unit brand shovels and 'scissors booms' that they designed. There are a couple of photos here, in the "Cable Shovels" thread, I believe. They could actually walk the shovel out of a wet spot by dropping the tongs on the boom tip hard into the ground for traction, and letting the shovel pull itself out. How I wish I had some video of that little operation!

  2064. #2064Vigilant2015-03-21 00:17

    Here ya go.... Roberts Bros. could very well have been the pioneers of hoe chucking.

  2065. #2065camptramp2015-03-21 12:40

    I'm not an authority on forestry policy , but when I first started in the woods Feb. 1966 there was a fair amount of Cat logging going on , and had been since the Cat had been perfected , the first Rubber Tire Skidder arrived in the summer of 1966 . I also remember the scaring on the hillsides from past Cat logging combined with the high rain fall on the West Coast of B.C. By the end of the 1960's Cat logging was a thing of the past . I know there are still some Rubber Tire Skidder's working around this part of the coast , but the Hoe Chucking method appears to leave the hillsides in better shape .

  2066. #2066Vigilant2015-03-21 13:24

    Pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

  2067. #2067kiwi450x2015-03-21 16:01

    The pics of the new 3800c look pretty tasty. I could be talked into one of those, in a heartbeat.

  2068. #2068camptramp2015-03-21 16:10

    They haven't changed much , but those pictures were taken from the early to mid 2000's . Madill has had its ups and downs since the Madill family sold the Company , But the people that developed their products did a good job on their finished machines . The manufacturer has changed but the machines are still made for loggers .

  2069. #2069camptramp2015-03-21 23:05

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Shawnigan Lake #56-098 Madill Hoe Chucker .

  2070. #2070camptramp2015-03-21 23:16

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Shawnigan area , I've got to admit , I use to get the Loader Operator to drag the cinches over the Off Highway Logging Truck loads , but I was always able to throw the cinches over a highway logging truck load . Poor Mike's getting over the hill .

  2071. #2071Vigilant2015-03-21 23:28

    Upon reflection, I would think there is also a whole lot less silt in the stream beds since they got away from Cat logging.

  2072. #2072camptramp2015-03-21 23:30

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Shaw Creek .

  2073. #2073Blk prince2015-03-21 23:44

    Camptramp,I have been following the posts and Bruce W. Did he get all these machines new? The 075,098,101 and 106?

  2074. #2074camptramp2015-03-22 23:15

    I'm not sure if Bruce got the #56-75 new or not , but when he hung up his calk boots and moved from tail blocks Tending Hook , into a cab , it was the #27-10 a brand new Madill 009 . After a stint running yarder , he moved onto loaders , a Loraine Hydraulic , TL-15 Washington ,TL-6 Washington American , Northwest line loaders , Chapman Hydraulic , Then got the #56-36 a brand new Kobelco Hoe Chucker , then the #56-098 , #56-101 , #56-106 Madill Hoe Chuckers . His track record of getting a good days work out of a machine , maintaining it , with out beating the crap out of it speaks for its self .

  2075. #2075camptramp2015-03-22 23:37

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Shaw Cr.

  2076. #2076camptramp2015-03-22 23:39

    Bruce W. Shaw Cr.

  2077. #2077camptramp2015-03-23 23:17

    Bruce W. , Shaw Cr.

  2078. #2078camptramp2015-03-23 23:27

    Bruce W. , Shaw Cr. Canadian Air Crane Heli-logging .

  2079. #2079camptramp2015-03-23 23:29

    Bruce W. Shaw Cr. Canadian Air Crane .

  2080. #2080camptramp2015-03-24 23:10

    Bruce W. Pictures of Madill 2850 , Hoe Chucker .

  2081. #2081camptramp2015-04-01 23:17

    Bruce W. Madill 3800 Hoe Chucker #56-71 and #56-44 .

  2082. #2082camptramp2015-04-01 23:42

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber When Munns Lumber were considering the purchase of a new Log Loader / Hoe Chucker , a Hitachi was brought to the work site for Bruce W. to try out . I wish I knew how to post the "Power Point " he presented to Munns when he finished his try out of Hoe Chucker other than Madill's .

  2083. #2083camptramp2015-04-01 23:44

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber , Hitachi try out .

  2084. #2084camptramp2015-04-01 23:46

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber , trying out Hitachi

  2085. #2085Len Burton2015-04-04 22:17

    Log tower going through Dodd Narrows & American tug with log barge in Northumberland Channel on the west side of Gabriola Island. Towboats usually unload here for the Harmac mill or wait out weather in Georgia strait in the winter.

  2086. #2086dirty4fun2015-04-05 06:12

    Good to see other ways of moving logs, thanks Len. It must of been a welcome spot when the weather turned bad to have some protection from a storm. Look like a pretty spot to be in good weather too.

  2087. #2087DonBC2015-04-05 11:46

    I don't have water front property but I can walk across the street over to the escarpment and look down at this type of action. Always entertaining.

  2088. #2088dirty4fun2015-04-05 19:14

    Hope everyone had a good Easter Day, with family or friends. I have no family close by any more, but did get to chat with them.

  2089. #2089Vigilant2015-04-05 19:40

    Absolutely. A joyous Easter to all.

  2090. #2090Len Burton2015-04-07 02:43

    Waiting for the log tower and assist tug to go through Dodd Narrows.

  2091. #2091Len Burton2015-04-11 04:08

    It must be fun to watch in the summer months at slack when everyone is trying to push through at the same time!!!!

  2092. #2092diamondtguy2015-05-02 00:24

    Just watched the video again for the 10 th time....Good stuff....best ride I have had in a HDX (so far)...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z3cQjuWXGlU

  2093. #2093RonG2015-05-02 01:35

    Nice video,thanks,looks like a Mack steering wheel ). Ron G

  2094. #2094HDX2015-05-18 12:01

    Just a heads up I know its a little off topic but for your info I went to Nanaimo yesterday to get a replacement set of gears for my old Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet (We all know where to buy these) and was told WE NO LONGER GIVE ANY WARRANTY ON CRAFTSMAN TOOLS !!!! I asked if I could buy a set from them and was told NO WE DONT EVEN STOCK THEM ANYMORE!!!! OH WELL just one more place I will never have to go again.

  2095. #2095JDOFMEMI2015-05-18 12:23

    That sounds worthy of its own thread, just to see if it is going on elsewhere, or is a local to you problem. If that is the case everywhere, I doubt that they will survive. That's the only reason many people go there.

  2096. #2096Vigilant2015-05-18 12:38

    I washed my hands of Sears in general almost 35 years ago. I hope they go broke.

  2097. #2097RonG2015-05-18 13:20

    I tried to exchange a ratchet a long time ago,maybe 20 years and was turned down back then.There are other tools that honor their guarantees though.Not to insult anyone but anything you buy from harbor freight seems to have a lifetime guarantee,they say just bring the defective tool back and walk out with a new one.I have done it,no paperwork or anything.I am not saying that I use their wrenches etc but if I did they stand behind them.The tool I returned was something for front end work like a coil spring compressor or the like bought by my stepson.Ron G

  2098. #2098Blk prince2015-05-18 13:51

    I wonder if sales reps tell customer the warranty is gone before any purchase? Not likely!

  2099. #2099Shoepeg2015-05-18 13:57

    HDX, the reason they won't warranty them now is lots of their stuff is made in China and they know they are not quality tools. When I was a young fellow, they had Dunlap tools, they weren't good tools and had no warranty. Don't think the way their business is going, we will have to do anything to cause the to go under. They seem to be hell bent on doing it to themself.

  2100. #2100Vigilant2015-05-18 21:24

    Ever talk to someone who bought a Crapsman lawn mower? That is one mistake I have not made. I like John Deere green, and not the cheap box store crap with the same paint.

  2101. #2101Blk prince2015-05-19 01:03

    My first one I just replaced after 18 yrs. I bought another and think it is great

  2102. #2102Len Burton2015-05-19 03:01

    There is a lot less than high quality marine equipment coming out of China these days. Anchor chain just doesn't cut it inferior materials. Under water zincs to prevent galvanic corrosion between dis similar metals is just junk. They are now getting into marine exhaust manifolds. Poor workmanship and lousy end product.

  2103. #2103camptramp2015-05-20 00:44

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber , a New John Deere loader Bruce was given to try out when Munns was considering purchasing a new Hoe Chucker , Log Loader .

  2104. #2104camptramp2015-05-20 00:48

    Bruce W. , Munns Lumber , new John Deere Log Loader for trial period .

  2105. #2105camptramp2015-06-22 23:59

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. late 1980's , Load of bridge stringers for M10 bridge .

  2106. #2106camptramp2015-06-23 00:05

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rob Norman Landing Bucking , Garnett Margetish running loader , Oz Nelson driving log truck . Jasper Cr.

  2107. #2107camptramp2015-06-23 00:21

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , Rob Norman landing bucking for Ernie Harrison ( loader is a Madill 075 ) , just above my home town- Caycuse .

  2108. #2108camptramp2015-06-23 00:25

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO ,2000 , Big Fir at Braden 6000 Ernie Harrison loading with #54-85 a Madill 075 Super Snorkel .

  2109. #2109camptramp2015-06-23 00:37

    Rob N . Timberwest HBO , 2000 ,Safety Tour , Front row Derek Wiskin, Leon Jones ,Rob Norman , Bill Wilkins . Back Row Alf Atkinson , Ross Davies , NielMenard , 2nd Vice President of IWA National .

  2110. #2110camptramp2015-06-23 00:41

    Rob N . IPL HBO ,2005 , Rob Norman with a 4 log load , Rob Norman & Buck Stinson , Braden 6000 .

  2111. #2111HDX2015-06-24 00:06

    camptramp picture of 40-128 Very nice shot Was ex 6-251 This truck was sold at R/B auction at Chemainus some years ago and was bought by Pope and Talbot She went to the Mill at Midway and sat there for a long time Then was sold and ended up in Campbell River. Saw her on a you tube posting one time! Was bought by the Olsen Group at midway and brought down to their shop in Campbell River. She is getting a bunch of work done to her She still looks really good Got a good home

  2112. #2112camptramp2015-06-24 00:39

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , A Kenworth highway truck leased to Timberwest and #40-96 a P16 Pacific off highway preloader , the big and the small .

  2113. #2113camptramp2015-06-24 00:43

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , 2003 , the log truck drivers of HBO's log haul department , about a year before the bad dream turned into a night mare .

  2114. #2114camptramp2015-06-24 00:47

    Rob N. IPL HBO Div. , Summer of 2011 Braden Cr. (above old Renfrew Camp ) Brian Schultz running Cypress Super Snorkel .

  2115. #2115camptramp2015-06-24 00:52

    Rob N . IPL HBO Div. Rob Norman and Brian Schultz March 2011 at Hemmingsen Cr.

  2116. #2116camptramp2015-06-24 01:02

    Rob N. Island Fiber HBO , Out with IPL and in with Island Fiber . 8 new Western Star's lined up in front P&R Western Star Duncan B.C. , for a new contract at Teal Jones HBO Div. December 26 ,2011 .

  2117. #2117camptramp2015-06-25 00:37

    Rob N. Island Fiber HBO , 1st load with new truck Granite Cr. (Lower Harris) Jan. 7, 2012

  2118. #2118camptramp2015-06-25 00:48

    Rob N. Island Fiber HBO .

  2119. #2119camptramp2015-06-30 01:08

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , Skagit Longline yarder Model BU199 on Branch M10 .

  2120. #2120camptramp2015-06-30 01:15

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , Skagit Longline Yarder on Branch M10 , With Canadian Air Crane Heli Logging working on same setting .

  2121. #2121diamondtguy2015-06-30 01:32

    That Pacific looks interesting...Air cleaner piping is something we didn't do at the plant(its nice and direct tho) and is that a folding reach trailer on the back ??.Pick up on the left shows the picture fairly recent...I do believe I know that truck....

  2122. #2122camptramp2015-06-30 11:07

    The Pacific P16 preloader with BCFP telescoping , folding style reach in picture was a BCFP Renfrew Div. truck ,#6-260 , #6-263 ,or #6-264 the #6-260 and #6-263 came with natural V12-71 Detroit's , the #6-264 came with a Inline 6 Cummins , the #6-260 and #6-263 were repowered with twin turbo V12-71's as there were only three trucks like in the Div. and that truck looks to have twin stacks ,its either the #6-260 or #6-263 when that picture was taken Timberwest owned them their numbers were #40-138 and #40-139 . They are now owned by Island Pacific Logging and are over in "HDX's" country at Sarita R.

  2123. #2123diamondtguy2015-06-30 12:02

    Thanks..HDX showed me one of the trucks when I was over in Alberni last Aug.....

  2124. #2124camptramp2015-06-30 16:28

    The #6-260 was new 1976 or 1977 , #6-263 was new 1979 , #6-264 new 1980 .

  2125. #2125diamondtguy2015-06-30 16:59

    I do remember doing one..This would be the winch style pre-loader ??

  2126. #2126camptramp2015-06-30 20:21

    Yes all the BCFP style self loading preloaders had winchs in the top of water tanks to pull trailer up ramps to back deck , early HDX Hayes had the winch between frame behind water tank with a block welded to top center of water tank to load trailer .

  2127. #2127diamondtguy2015-06-30 20:38

    I only remember doing the one but what I remember the most is the office coming out and speaking to a few of us that we were going to the BCFP winch style preloader(s) to fit in with existing equipment..We were all game for it....

  2128. #2128Blk prince2015-06-30 21:10

    Do you remember the CZ style winch. It had 3 blocks. Winch at bottom of water tank,one block above,then block in front of 5th wheel and one more block on top left of water tank,then block hook to a strap with 2 eyes anchored to front axle of trailer

  2129. #2129Blk prince2015-07-04 19:02

    Just home from Port Alberni. Great day with Camptramp,HDX and Jim F. Did a car show,hauled a few loads,had lunch together,hauled a few more loads,pulled a couple trucks back on their wheels,then found some parked and abandoned trucks. Wow. Need a nap now and too freaking hot. Great people!

  2130. #2130diamondtguy2015-07-04 19:44

    Wow....I miss all the fun.....sounds like a great day

  2131. #2131HDX2015-07-04 19:57

    You two left in the nick of time HUGE FOREST FIRE out at Sproat Lake. Good thing the two Martin Mars Water Bombers are right there !!!! OH I forgot BC Government wont use them!! Don't know too much other than watching it grow FAST. The wind is coming up and fanning things along at an alarming rate. We drove over to other side of town (Walmart) area and you can watch it clear as can be. VERY INTERESTING. AND you are right It was a great day Thanks both of you

  2132. #2132dirty4fun2015-07-04 21:16

    Sounds like a fun day, and darn it I missed it. Hope the forest fire is controlled real soon, could be a long summer if it stays hot and dry, there.

  2133. #2133Blk prince2015-07-04 21:16

    Just the best. Corey,if you come over tomorrow morning,we will even throw in a Forest fire. Just keeps getting better!

  2134. #2134Blk prince2015-07-04 22:18

    Only thing sweeter than having Mars parked below local fire,would be seeing government paying others to spray the Mars in event of fire damage.

  2135. #2135VIPMedia2015-07-05 00:05

    The Hawaii Mars will be flying in two week from now, For other reasons.[video=youtube;r52xeh5JwHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52xeh5JwHk[/video]

  2136. #2136VIPMedia2015-07-05 00:08

    Whats the GPS of the fire, Just right click on google maps,and a box will open up, Click whats here and the GPS will show up Here is a video I filmed a few years ago. [video=youtube;wug90cngexY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wug90cngexY[/video]

  2137. #2137camptramp2015-07-08 00:01

    Robn N. Island Pacific Logging , HBO , Brian Shultz running Cypress Loader in Hemmingson Cr Valley .

  2138. #2138camptramp2015-07-08 00:13

    Rob N. Island Pacific Logging , HBO . "Lucky" Had this 0ld Runaway Buckskin hit the Tail Hold Spar , it would have demolished it .

  2139. #2139camptramp2015-08-06 00:15

    Rob N. WFI Gordon River Div. Long time log truck driver Bill Nicol at the wheel .

  2140. #2140VIPMedia2015-08-06 10:26

    Helicopter water pickup knock me to the ground [video=youtube;OdtJNSqGHok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdtJNSqGHok[/video]

  2141. #2141camptramp2015-08-21 00:33

    Al L. Hillcrest Lumber Co. 1959

  2142. #2142camptramp2015-08-21 00:37

    Al L. Hillcrest Lumber Co. 1968 , the 848 Kenworth was owned by Todd Pallisor .

  2143. #2143camptramp2015-08-21 00:41

    Al L. Weldwood Canada , Thompson Sound 1968 , Stu "Gunnysack" Nash standing on Brow Log in T-shirt .

  2144. #2144camptramp2015-08-21 01:01

    Al L. Weldwood Toba Inlet , 1975 , Don Fernseth's HD Hayes .

  2145. #2145Blk prince2015-08-21 15:40

    Post #2144 truck looks so much like Irving Olsen #4. It had same beacon lite on the cab and side exhaust. Fellow in Stanfield also looks like driver Jack Gunderson from Chemainus. Probably not but so much alike. HDX can you remember very many Hayes with a cab beacon?

  2146. #2146VIPMedia2015-08-21 17:41

    Hawaii Mars Air Strikes on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire recorded July 28,2015 [video=youtube;JUIrrbIDXxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIrrbIDXxo[/video]

  2147. #2147camptramp2015-08-24 00:57

    Al L Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. , Al Lundgren falling large Cedar in Bugaboo Cr.

  2148. #2148camptramp2015-08-24 00:59

    Al L. Fletcher Challenger Renfrew Div. 1990 .

  2149. #2149camptramp2015-08-24 01:07

    Al L. Fletcher Challenger Renfrew Div. , 1990 , #40-140 (BCFP #6-264) A P-16 Pacific Preloader driven by Reid Bryson , this truck was the last brand new Off Highway Logging Truck to be bought for Renfrew Div. .

  2150. #2150camptramp2015-08-24 09:50

    Al L. Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div ,1990 Hoe operator Charlie Baxter putting a culvert in road grade .

  2151. #2151camptramp2015-08-24 09:56

    Al L. Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. , 1990 , A Wagner Log Stacker unloading an Off Highway P-16 Pacific ( probably a Malloch & Moseley truck ) at Honeymoon Bay DLS , amongst a hive of activity .

  2152. #2152camptramp2015-08-24 10:01

    Al L. Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. ,1990 , A welder probably Jim Perreaux or Don "Choo Choo " Patrick working on Yarding Grapple in Gordon River Shop .

  2153. #2153Vigilant2015-08-26 01:09

    Kind of odd to see a man running a Husky. In these parts, Husky is the favorite among the ladies. ROFL!

  2154. #2154RCP572015-08-26 08:29

    Hahaha!:falldownlaugh

  2155. #2155Knocker of rock2015-08-27 12:38

    Hell ya.

  2156. #2156camptramp2015-09-08 00:25

    Oz Nelson , M&B Heli logging near the Ball Park , McClure M/L .

  2157. #2157camptramp2015-09-08 00:32

    Oz Nelson Fletcher Challenge HBO , 1st picture Garnnet Margetish , 2nd picture Brian Shultz , 3rd picture Gerry Vanbeers 4th picture Brian Shultz & Bill Goranson .

  2158. #2158camptramp2015-09-15 00:01

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture , #56-32 Chapman Log Loader Richard Zboyovsky , operator . Richard was a very interesting guy , grew up in Caycuse , went to work at a young age at Caycuse , was a Caycuse "Home Guard" at Caycuse for his 50 years , working in the woods , still lives in Caycuse as far as I know . 2nd picture huge row of decked grapple yarder logs , F 3 off Caycuse M/L .

  2159. #2159camptramp2015-09-15 00:25

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. #16-8 American 7220 log loader Garnett Margetish operator , #52-45 Cypress 7230 or 7280 ? Grapple Yarder Howard Donahue operator , Rob Norman Landing Bucker , Hatton M/L .

  2160. #2160camptramp2015-09-15 00:30

    Rob N. Fletcher Challende Caycuse Div. George Balogh Landing Bucking , Walter Cook driving #6-246 HDX Hayes , Hatton M/L .

  2161. #2161camptramp2015-09-15 00:42

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture is Oz Nelson standing by the pride of the Caycuse HDX Hayes's #40-128 , always kept it looking nice , on Heather Mountain, fog over Cowichan Lake in background . 2nd picture Rob Norman leaning on front of #40-128 , on Jas per Creek .

  2162. #2162camptramp2015-09-15 22:53

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture Cat yarding Fir logs to be used for bridge stringers for "M 10" bridge down an abandon spur to Caycuse River . 2nd & 3rd picture is John King who was in charge of project unhooking chokers behind Cat . 4th & 5th pictures is Rob Norman who was Bucking some of the nicest Fir logs you will ever see to proper lengths .

  2163. #2163camptramp2015-09-15 23:07

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Garnett Margetish on #54-67 American 7220 log loader , sat loader in Caycuse River bed to load stringer's on #40-132 a Pacific P 16 log truck driven by Jerry Jansen

  2164. #2164camptramp2015-09-15 23:22

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture After loading stringers on log truck Garnett Margetish takes a well deserved break . 2nd & 3rd pictures Rob Norman climbs up on load . 4th picture Rob Norman pulls loaded logging truck out of river bed with "Tail Hold Cat" , stringers would be hauled 3 KM to "M 10" bridge sight where Garnett would unload them .

  2165. #2165camptramp2015-09-17 22:46

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture #6-228 HDX Hayes , Walter Cooke on truck Kelly Lowe on ground , McKay Cr. ( across Cowichan Lake from Caycuse ) . 2nd picture #40-123 (BCFP #6-242 ) HDX Hayes driver / dispatcher Joe Whipplinger , one of his last loads before retiring Spring 1992 . 3rd -5th picture Tod Palliser driving #6-245 HDX Hayes , taking his last load from H-8 Hatton Cr. to the dump before retiring 1989 . Garnett Margetish loading with #16-8 , Howard Donahue running #52-45 Cypress Grapple Yarder .

  2166. #2166camptramp2015-09-17 23:11

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture Caycuse office / store and snack bar on right (1960's) 2nd picture is Caycuse log truck "Dispatch Shack" . 3rd picture is Caycuse Gas Shop on left , Blacksmith Shop center back ground ( now Resurrected at B.C. Forestry Center in Duncan B.C.) , on right is end of Main Shop . 4th - 5th pictures is Main Caycuse Shop built in 1929 as a Rail R oad Locie Shop , survived all the changes in the Industry until the merger of Caycuse and Renfrew Division photo was taken in May 1992 buildings were demolished shortly after .

  2167. #2167camptramp2015-09-17 23:23

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Garnett Margetish on #16-8 American 7220 log loader , Howard Donahue on #52-45 Cypress Grapple Yarder . Oz Nelson driving #40-128 HDX Hayes log truck on top of Heather Mt. 1990 .

  2168. #2168camptramp2015-09-19 00:22

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Loaded highway trucks lined up at Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  2169. #2169camptramp2015-09-19 00:37

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO pictures from Richie Bros. Auction Chemainus 2005 !st ex BCFP HDX Hayes water truck . 3rd - 5th pictures Nanaimo Lakes Skagit Longline Towers .

  2170. #2170camptramp2015-09-19 00:43

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Chemainus Auction .

  2171. #2171camptramp2015-09-19 23:34

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO 1st picture PCB's old DLS out passed Shawnigan Lake in Koksilah area . 2nd picture Rick Love Cat Stacker unloading Rob Norman driving #41-113 a Western Star Tri-drive at Carson's old DLS 3rd picture Jerry Van Beers loading #41-113 with 3800 Madill in Koksilah area .

  2172. #2172camptramp2015-09-19 23:45

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO 1st picture #41-113 being unloaded by Stacker at Shoal Island DLS . 2nd picture looking out of truck windshield across log bundle's in booming grounds of Shoal Island DLS , at the town site of Crofton , and Crofton Pulp Mill . 3rd picture #41-113 being unloaded by overhead crane Shoal Island DLS .

  2173. #2173camptramp2015-09-19 23:57

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , 1st picture Longline crew on Fairy Lake . 2nd picture Ernie Harrison in front of #54-85 Madill 075 loader . 3rd picture Bill Gorenson , Rob Norman , Garnett Margetish . 4th picture Garnett Margetish .

  2174. #2174camptramp2015-09-20 00:10

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO 1st picture Dean Tipton , Mike Green , Blake Wilson . 2nd picture Kelly Heslop . 3rd picture Kyle Klassen, Jim Tansky . 4th picture Paul Ropponen , Les Hillard .

  2175. #2175camptramp2015-09-20 00:21

    Rob n. Timberwest HBO , 1st picture Rick Van Sweden . 2nd picture Mike Cross . 3rd picture #51-55 Skagit Telescoping Longline Tower on lowbed trailer. Z

  2176. #2176Len Burton2015-09-20 01:17

    Kind of sad to see all of our raw logs being shipped to Asia.

  2177. #2177camptramp2015-09-20 23:29

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Crew gathers at Honeymoon DLS to offer best wishes to Archie Doucette on his retirement .

  2178. #2178camptramp2015-09-20 23:36

    Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Rob Norman landing bucking for Garnett Margetish , Hatton Cr M/L .

  2179. #2179camptramp2015-09-20 23:47

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Skagit Longline tower rigged up on Spur 10 with Skyline tail hold across Hemmingson Creek .

  2180. #2180camptramp2015-09-21 00:00

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Skagit longline tower on D Branch 1st picture Tower operator Rodger Atchison 2nd picture Louie Balogh running Chapman loader 3rd picture is the longline crew .

  2181. #2181camptramp2015-09-21 00:16

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Brian Shultz on #54-69 a Washington TL-6 log loader , Oz Nelson driving #40-128 HDX Hayes log truck .

  2182. #2182camptramp2015-09-21 00:24

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Shaw Cr. M/L the log Rob has his hand on , traveled 2000 feet across and down a steep side hill from a setting being fell by Pacific Logging . Lucky nobody was on the landing Bucking when it hit the Landing . WCB find Pacific Logging for the incident .

  2183. #2183camptramp2015-09-21 00:38

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , Misery Creek Rock Cut 2nd growth setting . 1st picture Stu Smith running #52-50124 Madill grapple yarder . 2nd picture Brian Shultz on #54-69 Washington TL-6 log loader , loading #40-90 P 16 Pacific log truck driver Phil St. John driver . 3rd picture Landing Bucker Archie Doucette standing in front of #40-128 HDX Hayes driver Oz Nelson .

  2184. #2184camptramp2015-09-21 00:52

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Edinburgh M/L , Brian Shu ltz on #54-66 an American 7220 loader , loading large Fir on #40-139 P 16 Pacific log truck driven by Art Nickerson , Rob Norman Landing Bucker .

  2185. #2185camptramp2015-09-21 22:41

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO 1st picture Tom Worth fueling up #40-140 P 16 Pacific , pulling the camp lowbed full time . 2nd picture Truck Diapatcher Reid Bryson and Lowbed Driver Tom W orth having a discussion .

  2186. #21860752015-09-21 22:56

    Stu Smith was just here in Jeune Landing last week doing a Safety Audit. Talkative fellow lol

  2187. #2187camptramp2015-09-21 23:02

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , 1st Picture Landing Bucker Rob Norman standing in front of big Fir Log , Braden 6000 . @nd picture Loader Operator Ernie Harrison standing in front of big Fir. 3rd picture Ernie Harrison on #54-85 Madill 075 Super Snorkel lifting big Fir log to big to pick up with grapple's , so strap is used . 4th picture Art Nickerson driving #40-139 backs up under big Fir after loader heals it . 5th picture is big firs stacked up in Honeymoon Bay DLS , with sort crew posing for picture .

  2188. #2188camptramp2015-09-21 23:11

    Yup Stu never seems short of something to say . But he has paid his dues , we set chokers when 1 1/16 inch chokers were the small ones and 1 1/8 inch were the regular size and they were made in camp with "babit" knobs . Spent time packing rigging across the hillside on the back end of Slack lines up to our chests in snow too .

  2189. #2189camptramp2015-09-21 23:17

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO One of the last off highway logging truck loads dumped at Honeymoon Bay DLS before it was shut down .

  2190. #21900752015-09-22 22:53

    I think it was you he was talking about trying to get him hooked up on HEF . Told him how to get signed up ,hope he dose

  2191. #2191camptramp2015-09-23 00:04

    His Father Sid "Skidder" Smith took some great pictures in his early days , A Frame Skidder on Great Central Lake , Pioneer Timber Co. Port McNeill , to name a couple , he probably has quite a few of his own . I'll have to give him a phone call . If you see him again , ask him about getting a "Speeding Ticket" on Douglas St. in Victoria in his 1957 Austin . Cop turned on his lights and siren , so Stu pulled into a gas station and had the Gas Pump Jockey fill up the gas tank while the cop wrote out the ticket .

  2192. #2192camptramp2015-09-23 00:31

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO , !st - 3rd pictures Brian Shultz on #54-87 Cypress Loader , loading Rob Norman driving #41-113 Weatern Star logging truck . 4th picture Wer McKechnie Lamding Bucking for Brian Shultz . 5th picture #41-113 being dumped at Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  2193. #2193camptramp2015-09-23 00:47

    Rob N. IPL HBO another unsung hero in a large logging camp shop is a good Tire Man , Dan Reid started in Caycuse then moved to HBO when the two divisions were amaigamated , big tires or small tires Dan took care of them all , if he wasn't the best Tire Man on the coast , he ran a close second .

  2194. #2194Hayesno12015-09-24 15:13

    Vancouver Island, Head Bay summer 2007.

  2195. #2195camptramp2015-09-24 22:13

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Big Fir at setting on Braden 6000 . 1st picture Utility Russell Thompson , Grapple Yarder Hooker Blake Wilson , Grapple Yarder Operator Howard Donahue . 2nd picture Russell Thompson , Howard Donahue . 3rd picture Howard Donahue , Blake Wilson .

  2196. #2196camptramp2015-09-24 22:22

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO Long time BCFP employee , Landing Bucker Bill Goransen , Bill started with BCFP at Vancouver Bay Div. when it shut down he transferred to Renfrew Div. and went through the Fletcher Challenge , Timberwest cycle , this picture was taken on his last working day before he retired

  2197. #2197camptramp2015-09-24 22:55

    Rob N. Timberwest HBO 1st Picture #40-96 P 16 Pacific on Grierson . 2nd - 3rd Pictures Millstream Logging on C5 , year 2000 , The back spar was rigged with a Jack that enabled the carriage to log behind it and go passed it with a turn of log's .

  2198. #2198camptramp2015-09-24 23:02

    Dave Whiskin Timberwest HBO 1st picture Logging Trucks lined up on Gordon River M/L at Honeymoon Bay , waiting to cross highway to enter DLS to be dumped . 2nd picture Rob Norman standing in front of #41-113 at Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  2199. #2199Len Burton2015-10-02 18:16

    I love the sense of humor.

  2200. #2200dano202015-10-03 00:22

    Thats me standing beside the 7280A in George creek .

  2201. #2201HDX2015-10-17 23:32

    Moving Day. Had to move a bunch of stuff due to loss of some storage space. This Kenworth dump truck had to be towed to its new home because the engine had calfed. We used Jim's HD Hayes logger to relocate the Kenworth.

  2202. #2202HDX2015-10-17 23:39

    Parts saved from the previous clean-up had to be relocated also for future projects. These are the last of the saved parts being moved. We dug out old faithful Elmo to haul the artifacts to their new home.

  2203. #2203HD Mech2015-10-18 02:48

    HDX Would you know some of the history of the Kenworth gravel truck?

  2204. #2204dirty4fun2015-10-18 05:11

    HDX are you moving from I think it was Jim's parents place, (AKA Field of Dreams) to Jim's place? You guys have a lot of unreplaceable parts that I know you both need to rebuild your trucks.

  2205. #2205HDX2015-10-18 12:12

    HD Mech Jim bought her from George Uzzell (Eldrich River Logging Mooyah Bay) some years ago with a blown engine He got Kenny Hazelwood (Menzies Transport) to haul it down here He was going to use the 70,000lb Clarks in another HD but never got around to it. Will dig up the serial number and get 31 KW to give us details of what she was originally OK Sorry that is all he knew of her. He "GAVE HER" to Ron and an old take out 335 Cummins to replace the blown one so we will change it out and then Ron will use it over at his (our) "Field of Dreams" as a bull cook truck Should be a lot of fun

  2206. #2206HD Mech2015-10-18 18:42

    Thanks HDX, a friend of my father had a Kenworth gravel truck with planetary axles when I was little. He contracted for Canfor at nimpkish and then I believe he did work for Rayonier in Holberg or Port Alice with it. He then moved down to Victoria and had done some work down that way probably near Sooke. When he moved to Penticton he sold the truck to someone on the island. I was wondering if it was the same one. I don't remember the truck since I only saw it a couple of times when I was maybe five.

  2207. #2207HDX2015-10-18 22:58

    HD Mech We are working on her history as we speak 31KW will track her down for us as to who bought her new

  2208. #2208camptramp2015-10-18 23:59

    At an old friends (Carl Carlson) Celebration of Life I met his daughter Carole Carlson , who has allowed me to share the pictures she has of a logging camp from a Loggers Wife's view . Carole and her late husband Richard Ottley were Gemini Contracting , thank you Carole . Carole has also written some short stories related to her adventures while living in logging camps , check them out on Goggle "loggersdotter" . First pictures are of moving equipment out of Kawoinch R.

  2209. #2209Blk prince2015-10-19 16:26

    I would like to pass on my thanks as well. Great to have more history come forward. Good job Al!

  2210. #2210camptramp2015-10-19 22:14

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting moving into Cypre River Camp 1st & 2nd picture unloading "Home Sweet Home" off Barge (all in one piece) , camp rec. hall (brown building ) cook house (with yellow trim) in back ground . 3rd picture pickup towing tin Cabana . 5th picture Richard Ottley moving yarder .

  2211. #2211camptramp2015-10-19 22:38

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , 1st & 2nd pictures "Home Sweet Home" set up at Cypre River Camp . 3rd picture Looking out in direction of Tofino . 4th picture Dryland Sort and Booming Grounds .

  2212. #2212camptramp2015-10-20 23:02

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Cypre River , Madill 009 , 90 foot Tower on Tank Carrier , Northwest Log Loader on rubber tire carrier . Is it just me or doe's that boom on loader look on the long side . Maybe it was also used for yarding . 5th picture is Madill Tower leaving on barge after being sold .

  2213. #2213Jumbo2015-10-21 01:17
  2214. #2214camptramp2015-10-21 23:22

    Carole C. , Gemini Contracting , The Wakeman Valley .

  2215. #2215camptramp2015-10-21 23:40

    Carole C. , Gemini Contracting , Cypre River .

  2216. #2216camptramp2015-10-23 00:03

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Moving out of Cypre River , by way of Tofino .

  2217. #2217camptramp2015-10-23 22:38

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting . Richard Ottley with his tug "Curtis K" towing their barge.

  2218. #2218580bruce2015-10-23 22:40

    Jumbo I would love your pics too! Im from Lake Sawyer

  2219. #2219camptramp2015-10-23 22:45

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting .

  2220. #2220Murk1002015-10-23 23:07

    Nice..pic #2 I lived in the 2nd trailer for a couple of years 1983 for Pat Carson Bulldozing, below the trailers was the logging rd. / airstrip.. I have a lot of fond memories from there...My brother the pilot would fly his Beaver on floats 10ft above the strip and my kids would go wild then he would take them for a ride.....great times. think I have pictures some where of that,

  2221. #2221rayb2015-10-25 20:16

    Nootka Island when i was a wee wisp of a Forest Engineer. Doman' s Camp at McBride bay early 80's

  2222. #2222rayb2015-10-25 20:26

    Mactush Dumpsite mid 90's. Now a campsite, as the trucks head past it to town.

  2223. #2223camptramp2015-10-25 23:16

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , getting ready to go hand logging early 1980 Maple Bay , with 37 ft. Tug " Curtis K " and Float Camp being built on Barge .

  2224. #2224Blk prince2015-10-26 20:40

    Did any members go to RB auction today?

  2225. #2225camptramp2015-10-26 23:12

    Carole C. Gemini contracting . Curtis K leaving Maple Bay towing barge set up as a Float Camp , heading for Klewnuggit Inlet off Grenville Channel.

  2226. #2226camptramp2015-10-27 23:53

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Hand logging Camp Klewnuggit Inlet , 1980 , 1st picture first view of "New Home" from a float plane .

  2227. #2227camptramp2015-10-28 22:10

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Hand Logging , Klewnuggit Inlet 1980 .

  2228. #2228camptramp2015-10-28 22:16

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting . Hand Logging Cedar Poles , Klewnuggit Inlet 1980 , Ron C. does the Falling , Richard O. looks after Towline , Carole is at the Helm of tug Curtis K pulling poles into salt chuck .

  2229. #2229John Shipp2015-10-29 03:05

    Did tugboats often get used as a skidder on coastal jobs? Always wondered how the trees got into the water if they were back aways.

  2230. #2230camptramp2015-10-29 15:03

    I've never been involved with Hand Logging , but from bunkhouse "BS" , the Hand Loggers would find a steep side hill with a stand of good quality Timber that would rise out of deep water at the shore line . The trees would be cut down with the intention of sliding down the hillside into the water where they would be secured to the shore line and "Bucked " to log lengths . Sometimes when full length tree got "Hung up" on the way down the hill side , the tree's limbs and bark would be removed to help them side easier , then a "Grillcrest Jack" ( as shown in picture ) would be used to jack the tree into a position where it would continue to slide down the hill side into the water . It was a tough way to make a living in the early days , but there are a lot of places along B.C. Coastal Inlets that rise steeply out of shore line and made for a good Hand Logging Claim . In the pictures I'm posting , they are near the shore line pulling Cedar Poles off the waters edge , they wouldn't be able to go into the forest to far to accomplish this as the logs they were pulling out to the water with the Tug would get hung up on the st umps and trees left standing .

  2231. #2231John Shipp2015-10-29 15:37

    That must involve a certain skill to keep the logs sliding down and not ending up x'd over round stumps. I guess after a few days wearing yourself out the skill develops out of necessity... Thanks for info Camptramp.

  2232. #2232camptramp2015-10-30 00:58

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Hand Logging Klewnuggit Inlet 1980

  2233. #2233Jumbo2015-10-30 23:25
  2234. #2234John Shipp2015-10-31 08:31

    Cheers for the heads up Jumbo, just bought a used copy shipping from new York. Amazing thing the internet. Am standing in leafy mud in a log yard, buying old book from usa. In fog. Surreal!

  2235. #2235camptramp2015-10-31 18:47

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , 1st picture is removing "Tow Line" caught in propeller

  2236. #2236camptramp2015-11-01 00:41

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Hand Logging Klewnggit Inlet ,1980 ,Hand Logging neighbour Bill Thompson's Camp .

  2237. #2237camptramp2015-11-01 00:45

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting , Heading down Grenville Channel towing Camp Barge to Kitimat .

  2238. #2238camptramp2015-11-01 00:48

    Carole C. Gemini Contracting

  2239. #2239camptramp2015-11-01 22:56
  2240. #2240RCP572015-11-02 19:18

    That first picture is a beauty! Would love to see that from the front.

  2241. #2241camptramp2015-11-02 23:42

    Lorna Carlson came upon these photo's taken by our late friend Carl Carlson . Carlson's Float Camp , Early Bird Cove , Quatsino Sound , 1962 .

  2242. #2242camptramp2015-11-02 23:46

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) 3rd picture Middle of Alert Bay Airport , while land clearing 1970 , Carl Carlson Cat Operator .

  2243. #2243Blk prince2015-11-03 20:05

    Reg,go to Pic. #13 on this thread. There is one frontal shot. I think there is one more further along. BP.

  2244. #2244Sidney432015-11-03 23:03

    Looks like that Terex is just about buried and in need of some help

  2245. #2245camptramp2015-11-04 00:28

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Unloading barge at Dean Channel , John Wilkins operator of Bucyrus Erie 38B log loader , 1975 .

  2246. #2246camptramp2015-11-04 00:46

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Birds eye view of Dean Channel Camp.

  2247. #2247camptramp2015-11-04 00:52

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Birds eye view of Dean Channel Dry Land Sort .

  2248. #2248John Shipp2015-11-04 03:11

    Like the look of those remote camps, with the right people must be great place to live and work from. Ever get hungry in them camps, or was supply system good in bad weather? Or a lot of deer, fish and canned food. Guess people were used to system of ordering ahead, a lot of remote towns in that part of world.

  2249. #2249camptramp2015-11-04 23:34

    If you look at a map of British Columbia the West Coast of Vancouver Island from Tofino North has a lot of Inlets and Islands that are isolated . They are served by a small coastal freighter that operates out of Gold River , supplies are ordered in advance . The camp cook houses keep a reasonable stock of supplies . The storms that cross the North Pacific Ocean may delay the freighter for a couple of days , but it would make deliveries between storms . Also many of the camps are located in areas behind Islands on inside waters . The area from Powell River on the mainland of B.C. to Prince Rupert is another remote stretch of coast made up of Islands and Inlets . During the 1970's when I worked in the "fly in camps" , most of the camps I worked in were serviced by a company called Coast Ferries that had a fleet of Coastal Freighters . I don't ever remember running out of "Grub" . There are several central points like Campbell River and Port Hardy to name a couple , that "Float Planes" fly out of , that fly "Schedule Routes" , that deliver mail , supplies and passengers to these camps weather permitting . But the magic word is Refrigeration .

  2250. #2250camptramp2015-11-05 00:01

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel , A landing barge dropping off pickups , could be Forestry Crew or Tree Planters .

  2251. #2251camptramp2015-11-05 00:12

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel , Road washed out 20 mile along Dean River .

  2252. #2252camptramp2015-11-05 00:42

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel . When the water laden clouds off the North Pacific Ocean , meet the out flow of Arctic Air from B.C. interior , its the perfect combination to create snow . It builds up on the tops of mountains that rise steeply from the valley bottoms . When it breaks loose it slides down "Chutes" to the valley floor as avalanches . In the spring when the weather warms up and the risk of avalanches is over , Cats are used to open up Haul Roads , sometimes the snow build up at the bottom of the "Snow Chutes" is incredible . 1st picture , snow avalanching down mountain side . 2nd & 3rd pictures Cat opening up road at bottom of snow chute Apri l 1976 .

  2253. #2253camptramp2015-11-05 01:04

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) , Dean Channel , Barge arriving with Trailers to set up logging camp .

  2254. #2254camptramp2015-11-05 22:16

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel

  2255. #2255camptramp2015-11-05 22:41

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel .

  2256. #2256camptramp2015-11-05 22:54

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel .

  2257. #2257camptramp2015-11-06 22:49

    Lorna C. (Carlson) Dean Channel

  2258. #2258camptramp2015-11-07 22:47

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel , Bridge across Dean River , center support for bridge moved downstream 16 inches from force of Dean River at high water .

  2259. #2259camptramp2015-11-07 23:12

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel , Moving out of camp 1977 .

  2260. #2260camptramp2015-11-07 23:19

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Dean Channel Truck driver Bob Cook moving Madill Mini Tower 1974

  2261. #2261camptramp2015-11-07 23:31

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Toba Inlet Onion Lake Logging , Heli-Logging 1978 .

  2262. #2262camptramp2015-11-07 23:56

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Toba Inlet 1978 1st picture truck driver Ken Nelson moving 7280 log loader . 3rd picture is that a Bucyrus Erie loader mounted on a Skagit Rubber tire Carrier ? 5th picture Bob Torrie on a Cat 14G grader .

  2263. #2263camptramp2015-11-08 23:18

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) note on back of picture . Could be Rivers Inlet , Log Boom Being Salvaged from break up at Owekeno Lake .

  2264. #2264camptramp2015-11-08 23:32

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson)Fire at Talomey 1986

  2265. #2265camptramp2015-11-08 23:44

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Fire at Talomey 1986 .

  2266. #2266camptramp2015-11-08 23:51

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) Talomey 1986 , Neil Contracting , Bill Neil's #16 an 849 Kenworth , driver Ritchie Allen . #18 an HDX Hayes driver Carl Carlson .

  2267. #2267camptramp2015-11-08 23:57

    Lorna C. (Carl Carlson) I believe this picture of Carl Carlson was taken we'll driving for Ted Roth .

  2268. #2268camptramp2015-11-11 22:58

    Gordy I . (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries , Cowichan Div. Madill 075 Log Loader , rigged with Super Snorkel .

  2269. #2269Hayesno12015-11-12 16:28

    Some pics I took on Vancouver Island in Summer 2014. These pics were shot close to Gold River.

  2270. #2270Hayesno12015-11-12 16:37

    More pics from VI in Summer 2014. Western Star line horse was shot at Gold River and the logging trailers were parked near Campbell River.

  2271. #2271Hayesno12015-11-12 16:55

    More pics from Campbell River area in Summer 2014.

  2272. #2272camptramp2015-11-12 18:04

    Gordy I . (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries , Cowichan Div.

  2273. #2273camptramp2015-11-12 18:09

    Gordy I . (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries , Cowichan Div .

  2274. #2274camptramp2015-11-12 18:22

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries , Cowichan Div.

  2275. #2275camptramp2015-11-12 18:24

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries , Cowichan Div.

  2276. #2276Blk prince2015-11-12 19:04

    That was Mikey was it not?

  2277. #2277camptramp2015-11-12 22:41

    I believe so .

  2278. #2278camptramp2015-11-12 22:51

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries Cowichan Div. Looking down on the San Juan Valley and San Juan Bay from Browns Cr. or Fairy Lake .

  2279. #2279camptramp2015-11-12 23:02

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Forest Land Industries Cowichan Div.

  2280. #2280camptramp2015-11-14 01:41

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest , This is the P16 Pacific with a fresh coat of paint , Ike drove after Hayes Forest took over Forest Land Industries Cowichan Div. , not absolutely sure , but I think its an ex Malloch & Moseley log truck .

  2281. #2281diamondtguy2015-11-14 02:20

    Looks good.....

  2282. #2282Blk prince2015-11-14 10:01

    Camptramp,Post 2274,can you ask Gordy what happened? Looks like cab is being cleaned out tuff way to do it. And was Chris P running loader? Thanks BP.

  2283. #2283HDX2015-11-14 10:59

    camptramp Was that the end of 143 or did she get rebuilt Also above pics Was that T492 or T493

  2284. #2284camptramp2015-11-14 11:13

    These are Ike Isacson's pictures , he stayed with the operation as it went from Malloch & Moseley to Forest Land Industries to Hayes Forest Services . Gordy Isacson left the operation when Malloch & Moseley became Forest Land Industries , to work for the Malloch family . Chris P's untimely death happened when Malloch & Moseley were still at Nitinat Camp , the picture in posting #2274 happened after M & M became Forest Land ( Looks like a FLI decal on pick up door) , I'll ask Toby H. about it next time I see him . I may have more pictures of the incident , as Toby H . has loaned us a folder of pictures I'll post next .

  2285. #2285camptramp2015-11-14 11:19

    #143 was rebuilt , I'm not sure which P16 that is or the # , just to much going on in the late 1980's through the 1990's to keep track of .

  2286. #2286HDX2015-11-14 12:43

    Thanks Al just wondering The P16 was pictured in Pat Carson colors with the orange color added and when HFS took everything over they went to the neon green color where the orange was. I know for a fact that all hell broke loose with FLI when HAYES FOREST took them over. Lots of extremely hard feelings. I met Bill Spiller down in Sarita driving his 850 Kenworth. He told me they were putting her on a barge going to camp. He got the truck new and really looked after it but was told too bad its going to camp. One of the FLI foreman tried to stick up for him and was told if the truck was not on THAT BARGE he would be without a job also. I will not mention any names because everybody knows who the players were when it came down ! Was a really bad day for Bill and I knew how he felt. Ed Pears was the first NitNat driver then Ronnie Long, Shortly after the road was opened up (Roseander Mainline) there were two new trucks added Lea Fortin and Billy spiller with their new 850's Very classy trucks Good bunch of guys to work around. I took some pictures of Lea Fortin coming along the mainline near the bottom of the by-pass when the river was about 2 feet over the road and he was at flank speed There was a wall of water on each side of his truck about 20 feet in the air. I took a few pictures of it and many years later we met and I gave him the pictures Cant find the negs but i'm sure Mike will have copies somewhere of them. Sure was funny to see.

  2287. #2287camptramp2015-11-15 19:17

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service .

  2288. #2288camptramp2015-11-15 19:22

    Gordy I (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service .

  2289. #2289camptramp2015-11-15 19:35

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service .

  2290. #2290camptramp2015-11-15 19:37

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service .

  2291. #2291Hank R2015-11-15 19:45

    That sure looks like a hard landing and a costly one.

  2292. #2292camptramp2015-11-15 23:07

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service .

  2293. #2293camptramp2015-11-15 23:12

    The numbers don't show up to well but the best I can see is #T262 , do'es that make sense?

  2294. #2294camptramp2015-11-16 22:12

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Fore st Service

  2295. #2295camptramp2015-11-16 23:21

    Toby Hird Pacific Logging , Sooke Div. approx. 1980 , a P16 Pacific driven by long time Sooke area log truck driver Pete Walker .

  2296. #2296Blk prince2015-11-17 09:16

    Camptramp,in the last picture there is something that looks like a line from truck to trailer,it is below the load but above the reach. Is it attached to the truck or is it something laying on the bank? Cannot quite figure it out.

  2297. #2297Doug19662015-11-17 09:59

    Loose wrappers?? Doug QUOTE=Blk prince;599690]Camptramp,in the last picture there is something that looks like a line from truck to trailer,it is below the load but above the reach. Is it attached to the truck or is it something laying on the bank? Cannot quite figure it out.[/QUOTE]

  2298. #2298Blk prince2015-11-17 10:02

    Ahh,could be. Never gave it a thought. Thanks

  2299. #2299DonBC2015-11-17 13:04

    An air line for the brakes?

  2300. #2300Blk prince2015-11-17 14:12

    sure hops not. Supposed to be inside reach. Had a friend lost his life because air lines became tangled with limb hanging down

  2301. #2301Sigurd2015-11-17 14:57

    Agree with Doug1966, has to be loose wrappers

  2302. #2302camptramp2015-11-17 22:37

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service a Madill Log Loader being delivered to Honeymoon Bay DLS not sure who's .

  2303. #2303camptramp2015-11-18 23:32

    Gordy I (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service

  2304. #2304camptramp2015-11-19 23:15

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service , These pictures appear to be from a loader .

  2305. #2305camptramp2015-11-19 23:23

    Gordy (Ike Isacson) Hayes Forest Service , Ike experienced just about everything during his life as a Logger , including a "Tree Huggers" road block on the way to work in the Walbran on more than one morning .

  2306. #2306camptramp2015-11-19 23:29

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Thanks for leaving us your pictures to share Ike . Where ever you are I hope there's a good brand of cold beer to enjoy once in awhile and some good Stock Car Racing to keep up with .

  2307. #2307Hayesno12015-11-25 17:00

    Not Vancouver Island, but very close - Stillwater, Coastel logging in BC. Behind the IH R-model you can see top of Hayes HD cab. Gate was closed but I hope some day to get some pics of her.

  2308. #2308Hayesno12015-11-25 17:10

    More equipment pics from Stillwater, BC.

  2309. #2309Hayesno12015-11-26 16:35

    More equipment pics from Stillwater, BC, Summer 2014

  2310. #2310Hayesno12015-11-26 16:46

    More equipment pics from Stillwater, BC, Summer 2014

  2311. #2311Hayesno12015-11-26 17:06

    More equipment pics from Stillwater, BC, Summer 2014

  2312. #2312camptramp2015-11-26 23:30

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industry , Cowichan Div. FLI truck being dumped using a push off set up at Caycuse DLS 1987

  2313. #2313camptramp2015-11-27 22:13

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , A Madill 009 tower , P16 Pacific logging truck , not sure what kind of line loader maybe an American . East Shaw Cr. 1987 .

  2314. #2314camptramp2015-11-27 22:51

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , East Shaw Nov. 1987 . Back up the road from the last post , and take another look . If you've ever driven an off highway logging truck or watched one traveling along a gravel road , your familiar with the way they roll from side to side with the leans in the road . The higher the load the higher the center of balance , the farther it leans . Imagine or invision a logging truck going through a hollow on the right side of the road , leans to the right . Then as the truck moves out of the hollow it starts to lean to the left , at a point when you expect the motion to stop and roll back to the right . It doesn't , it keeps leaning to the left , and your passing the crew's pick up on your side . The ground comes up at you as you try to stay inside the drivers side window . When every thing settles down , the logging truck is on its side , the load of logs are laying on top of a crew cab pick up . This happened first thing in the morning . Toby still shutters when he looks at these pictures , 15-20 minutes before this happened the crew had been in the pick up putting there boots on .

  2315. #2315camptramp2015-11-27 22:59

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , East Shaw Nov. 1987 1st picture Toby Hird , Monty Mosher and Larry Hull investigating serious incident . 2nd picture Ken Ganton , Larry Hull and Gary Rumple on scene of mishap . 3rd picture Toby Hird , Monty Mosher and Bob Maule .

  2316. #2316Hank R2015-11-28 20:06

    You made the wife's day when I showed her the picture of her favorite uncle Ken, Thanks

  2317. #2317diamondtguy2015-11-29 00:34

    That's one "flat" ford....good thing it was empty at the time...

  2318. #2318camptramp2015-11-29 02:05

    Seen Ken at Dinner tonight , he's getting on but still holding his own .

  2319. #2319camptramp2015-11-29 02:24

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , Shaw Cr. 1988 075 Madill log loader , operator Ed (Ike) Isacson . 4th picture Toby Hird & Larry Hull retrieving keys locked in Toby's pick up .

  2320. #2320camptramp2015-11-29 23:19

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , Loading & Hauling wood from VIH (Vancouver Island Helicopter) Logging Div. Timber Sale in Gordon River area . Using Russian built Kamov helicopter .

  2321. #2321camptramp2015-11-29 23:22

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , Loading and hauling wood from VIH Logging Div. Timber Sale Gordon R. area , with 300B Cat loader .

  2322. #2322camptramp2015-11-29 23:26

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , Loading and hauling wood from VIH Logging Div. Timber Sale Gordon R. area .

  2323. #2323camptramp2015-11-29 23:31

    Toby Hird Gordon Dale Logging , a division of Forest Land Industries , loading with 300B Cat loader and hauling with P16 Pacific log truck , driver Jason Hird from Heli show , Egmont B.C.

  2324. #2324camptramp2015-11-30 22:13

    Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries , Chemainus office & shop . Nov. 1987

  2325. #2325Blk prince2015-11-30 22:18

    Great job again Camptramp and good of Toby to lend his photos. Good guy

  2326. #2326camptramp2015-11-30 22:20

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Renfrew , 1980's looks like they installed "Super Snorkel" on their Madill 075 loader .

  2327. #2327camptramp2015-11-30 22:37

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Shaw Cr. April 1988 , Not sure if its Larry Hull or Paul Auringer with Toby Hird .

  2328. #2328RonG2015-12-01 04:52

    Since I repair cameras and photography is one of my hobbies I would love to know what gear is being used to document these events as there are some very good pics being posted here and I am impressed with their quality especially considering the environment that they were acquired in.The digital cameras these days almost make a laughing stock of us that still shoot film but we just don't want to give it up.Thanks for all the contributions that you are making.Ron G

  2329. #2329camptramp2015-12-01 09:38

    I'm afraid I can't say what camera's were used as most of the pictures I have posted lately are borrowed from friends and fellow workers . The first 800-1000 pictures I posted were my own , in the 1960's and 1970's I carried a very low cost 126 Instamatic , then I had a Disc Camera , my best pictures were taken with a 35 mm Instamatic . BLK prince , thanks I have some very interesting pictures coming up from 250 slides loan to us by Pat Macmillan taken by his father Bob Macmillan .

  2330. #2330RonG2015-12-01 10:03

    I realized when I posted that it was at best a silly question but thank you for your input.I took over 1300 pics when I was overseas in the early '60s with a 35mm but I developed and printed them myself and color film was just too much work back in those days so most of mine were tri-x b/w.I posted a lot of them here years ago.Thanks,Ron G

  2331. #2331camptramp2015-12-01 12:14

    The developing process over the years has made a difference , one set of pictures I took during the mid 1970's has turned a redish colour . I was amazed to discover that when I scan a couple of that set of pictures with our new scanner some of the colour came back .

  2332. #2332RonG2015-12-01 13:35

    I use the software called "VueScan" for my scanning,it is not cheap but is worth every penny. http://www.hamrick.com/ I don't think that there is a scanner made that it will not work with and I have been using it for 20+ years. If you are having any problems with colors Vuescan can help.You also get free upgrades as they are released.There are automatic adjustments programmed into it that anticipates the natural degradation of a given film due to aging and it makes the adjustments for you automatically.Ron G

  2333. #2333Knocker of rock2015-12-01 13:46

    VueScan is good, especially for older scanners. I own a 12 year old Nikon CoolScan with a power feeder which remains a good machine, but is no longer supported by Nikon. Because of this, it is poorly to non-functioning with newer PCs and Macs. Buy VueScan and your problems are solved.

  2334. #2334RonG2015-12-01 15:30

    My first scanner was a Microtek 300Z 3 pass color scanner with a ISA card.....did I say that right?LOL....it has been a while but I was scanning in DOS 3.1 with PC Paintbrush and was getting pretty good results.I have probably a half dozen scanners now but my main scanner is a Microtek 9600XL that will do transparencies and 11x17 flatbed scans. I tried Vuescan and right off the bat could see that without the watermark they were superior scans and the rest is history. I also have a dedicated slide/film scanner and I can scan a whole roll of 35mm film unattended once I get it started using Vuescan of course.The riskiest part of that venture is getting your negatives back from the lab uncut otherwise you have to stick around to feed the scanner.lol.If you ever have a problem you can email Ed Hamrick and usually get an answer the same day.I have also scanned slides on my flatbed wholesale too,I can't remember how many I lined up on it but the same rules apply,once you get them started you can walk away while it scans.You can also save the scanner configuration to use again unless you lose the hard drive you saved it on like I did.Ron G

  2335. #2335camptramp2015-12-02 22:26

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Squamish Div. 1st picture Scott from Cypress watching Grapple Yarder . 2nd & 3rd pictures placing piling's Daisy Lake bridge Laurie Pears in bucket .

  2336. #2336camptramp2015-12-02 22:37

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries Squamish Div. 1986 D8 Cat slipped off lowbed at Alta Lake .

  2337. #2337camptramp2015-12-03 23:46

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Squamish Div. Alta Lake Shop 2nd picture Dennis , Neil and Jerry . 1986

  2338. #2338camptramp2015-12-04 00:00

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Squamish Div. 1st & 2nd pictures # 400 Madill 009 Steel Tower pulled over against Log Loader Feb 1987 . 3rd picture a Skidder fire Sept . 1986 . 4th picture Faller's Crummie , Alta Lake Front wheel caused fire 1986 .

  2339. #2339camptramp2015-12-04 00:04

    Toby Hird , Forest land Industries , Squamish Div. Alta Lake June 1986 .

  2340. #2340camptramp2015-12-04 23:12

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , Cowichan Div. April 23, 1990 , #143 850 Kenworth Maid Lake . The #143 was usually driven by Mike Fortin , Mike was not driving the #143 the day this happened .

  2341. #2341camptramp2015-12-04 23:15

    Toby Hird Forestland Industries , Cowichan Div. #143 mishap .

  2342. #2342camptramp2015-12-04 23:18

    Toby Hird, Forestland Industries , #143 mishap .

  2343. #2343camptramp2015-12-04 23:21

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries Cowichan Div. #143 mishap on Maid Lake April 23,1990 .

  2344. #2344RonG2015-12-05 02:25

    Thank you for taking the time to sort and scan all these pics for us CampTramp......they never get old like we do.Ron G

  2345. #2345Blk prince2015-12-05 10:30

    Camptramp has done a very good job of keeping our history going. Like our Fathers who grew up working with steam our grand kids will look at these trucks loaders and yarders and wonder what kept them upright and how did they move. Thanks Al.

  2346. #2346Hank R2015-12-05 20:14

    I will get the beer next time I see you

  2347. #2347Sidney432015-12-05 23:02

    I am surprised at how good the truck and trailer looked after going that far down. Was it repaired, or more damage than first appears?

  2348. #2348camptramp2015-12-06 00:10

    It will be a pretty cheap round , if I never have another bottle of Beer or glass of Whisky , I've had my share and more . When my father passed away in the mid '90's , the following Friday I went down to the "Jar Store" for my weekend "Crock" as I was paying for it , I looked around the store and realized the Old Man hadn't made a dent in the liquor supply and they were stocking the shelves faster than I was emptying them . So I declared them winners , went home put the "Crock" in the cupboard , it might be still there , and haven't had a drink since . LOL But I'll hit you up for a coffee .

  2349. #2349camptramp2015-12-06 00:13

    The truck went to town and was repaired , to return to the log haul again .

  2350. #2350camptramp2015-12-06 00:40

    Toby Hird Forestland Industries Cowichan Div. , Don't know who's truck this is , happened on on Hillcrest M/L just up the road from Pacific Logging's office at Mesachie Lake . Had to have happened around 1986 -87 as there's a an HD Hayes in picture belonging to one of Pacific's Log Haul contractors , in 1987-88 Pacific switched from off highway log trucks to highway trucks .

  2351. #2351RonG2015-12-06 04:10

    January 18,1987 was my last drink after consuming a quart of Dewars every day.As you said,I couldn't keep up,they brought it into the store faster than I could drink it.That is what?....28 years of sobriety?I didn't do it by myself though,the lord gives me the strength to carry on and I thank him every day.Ron G

  2352. #2352camptramp2015-12-07 00:31

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Egmot B.C., a Divison of Forestland Industries . 1st picture looking West across Sechelt Inlet towards Egmont at the Skookumchuck Narrows . 2nd picture looking up Sechelt Inlet towards Sechelt . 3rd picture Gordendale Loggings two crew boats 1-24 ft. and 1-27 ft. at camp dock .

  2353. #2353camptramp2015-12-07 00:50

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Egmont B.C. a Division of Forestland Industries . 1st & 2nd pictures two of Malloch & Moseley's former key employee's Paul Auringer (wearing blue hat) and Gordendale Logging founder Gordie Weberg on beach at Gordendale Logging camp . 3rd & 4th pictures Mary Weberg feeding Geese at Gordendale Logging camp . 5th picture Paul Auringer on beach at Gordendale Logging camp .

  2354. #2354camptramp2015-12-07 01:02

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Egmont B.C. , Division of Forestland Industries . 1st picture View looking up Sechelt Inlet from Gordendale Camp . 2nd picture Guest house at Gordendale Camp . 3rd picture Shop at Gordendale Camp .

  2355. #2355Greatwestcam2015-12-07 21:07

    Been through those rapids many times, we would go to the Back Eddy pub in Egmont and have "lunch" then run the rapids over and over again. Andy Byrne had two preload trucks at Gordendale back in 80-81. Think he sold them one and bought it back many years later. Nice camp!

  2356. #2356camptramp2015-12-07 22:47

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries , 1st picture 45 ton Scona lowbed and 100 ton Fruehauf lowbed . 2nd picture Gordendale trucks . 3rd picture Paul Auringer and John Proudfoot in front of Gordendale logging truck formerly owned by Andy Byrne . 4th picture a Hayes HD water truck .

  2357. #2357camptramp2015-12-07 23:05

    Toby Hird . Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries , View of Dryland Sort and Booming Grounds from Sechelt Inlet .

  2358. #2358camptramp2015-12-07 23:12

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries , 1st picture A new Cat 966 log stacker . 2nd picture Denis Turcotte and Kim trying out new Cat 966 .

  2359. #2359camptramp2015-12-08 22:48

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Egmont B.C. , a Division of Forestland Industries , 1st picture is a 7220 American Log Loader . 2nd picture is a 1976 D8 Cat pulling a 1971 Northwest Log Loader . 3rd picture is a 1985 122 Madill Grapple Yarder and 1971 Northwest Log Loader .

  2360. #2360camptramp2015-12-08 22:51

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries , 1985 Madill 122 Grapple Yarder .

  2361. #2361John Shipp2015-12-09 01:10

    Grapple yarder operators must need eyes like a hawk to drop on distant logs, or have a telescope set up ready on a handy bracket... Maybe a periscope off a navy surplus submarine.

  2362. #2362HDX2015-12-09 11:13

    Greatwestcam, camptramp That Blue HD Hayes water truck in post 2357. Do know anything about her. Ray Melissa phoned last night and we talked at great length about her!!! She had to be an ex Elk River Timber Truck. Either #16 or #17 The front bumper the twin small air cleaners the stack through the hood at the right place for the 6-110 GM engine then look at the rear tires Those are sticking so far out they had to be 47-40's as well as 14:00 X 24's Also the mirror brackets are still on the cab. #14-- ( mirrors on posts) is here and #15(also mirrors on posts) is in Courtenay and those two just disappeared until now. Ray had a lot to do around and driving those trucks and knew right away that it was one of the two so now we have another mystery to solve. Wonder if she is still above ground. Even remains will work Is a road trip in order here??? We are up to the challenge. You make some calls and we will start packing

  2363. #2363camptramp2015-12-09 12:15

    These pictures were taken around 1988 , Gordendale Logging operation was fazed out around the same time Hayes Forest Service took over Forestland Industries . Equipment was sold off , I'll ask Toby if he has any idea where Water Truck went to .

  2364. #2364HDX2015-12-09 19:20

    OK We will stand by. Pick-up is warming up as we speak

  2365. #2365RCP572015-12-09 22:30

    Is it too late to call shotgun?lol

  2366. #2366camptramp2015-12-09 23:23

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries . Jason Hird and Dennis Turcott doing repairs and preparing Gordendale Kenworth preloader logging truck to be painted at Forestland's Chemainus Shop .

  2367. #2367camptramp2015-12-09 23:31

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , division of Forestland Industries , 1st picture Gordendale Kenworth with a fresh coat of paint at Forestland's Chemainus Shop , Jason Hird , Henry Wermi and Dennis Turcott standing in front of truck . 2nd picture is freshly painted Kenworth on barge , leaving Chemainus for Egmont Camp .

  2368. #2368camptramp2015-12-09 23:39

    Toby Hird , Forestland Industries , FLI Highup truck in some kind of a parade in Duncan B.C.

  2369. #2369Greatwestcam2015-12-10 21:44

    KW 849rf Here is how the old Kenworth looked last year, tied but still able. Andy had two of these 1964 KW 849 RF, this one with the 12-71 Detroit and the other had a 400 Cummins with the Allision bolted to the engine. the lever next to the seat was the retarder control. this truck was #7 and the cummins one was #11 (will look for pic).

  2370. #2370RCP572015-12-10 22:55

    Ohhh, me likey.lol

  2371. #2371camptramp2015-12-10 23:40

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Div. of Forestland Industries ,May 1990 , 1st & 2nd pictures #107 Kenworth 849 at Chemainus Shop after some repairs and a fresh coat of paint . This truck was one of 2 Kenworth's purchased as part of Gordendale Logging in 1988 . 3rd & 4th pictures are of #107 back at Camp hauling a load from new Cat 300 B Log Loader .

  2372. #2372camptramp2015-12-10 23:46

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Div. of Forestland Industries , May 1990 , #107 Kenworth getting loaded from new Cat 300 B , loading from Madill 122 Grapple Yarder .

  2373. #2373camptramp2015-12-11 22:31

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Div. of Forestland Industries ,May 1990 , Gordendale Logging's new Cat LL 300 B (Cost $475,000) Toby Hird trying it out .

  2374. #2374camptramp2015-12-11 22:40

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Div. of Forestland Industries . Toby Hird putting out first load with new Cat LL 300 B , loading from 122 Madill grapple yarder , loading #116 1972 Pacific P-16 log truck driven by Jason Hird . ( Note Toby H. drove #116 Pacific new for Malloch & Moseley at Muir Cr. in 1972 )

  2375. #2375camptramp2015-12-12 23:01

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Sechelt Inlet Operation , a Division of Forestland Industries . L L 300 B Cat loading logs from 122 Madill grapple yarder ,on to #116 P16 Pacific log truck

  2376. #2376camptramp2015-12-12 23:13

    Talked to Toby H. today he has no idea where HD Hayes water truck went to , it was sold through a "Broker" , maybe Greatwestcam has an idea where it got to .

  2377. #2377Greatwestcam2015-12-13 11:57

    Sorry I can't remember seeing that truck before, or if I did I didn't pay close enough attention. Here is the pic of Andy's #11 at the shop in Gordendale camp back in 81. this is the truck I broke in driving on when I started in 79.

  2378. #2378camptramp2015-12-13 23:26

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries . #116 P 16 Pacific loaded for Gordendale DLS .

  2379. #2379camptramp2015-12-14 23:58

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , a Division of Forestland Industries , #116 P 16 Pacific log truck loaded from new Cat LL 300 B log loader .

  2380. #2380camptramp2015-12-15 22:39

    Toby H. Gordendale Logging , Divison of Forestland Industries , 1st picture VIH (Vancouver Island Helicopters) Heli Logging . 2nd-3rd pictures VIH landing logs by Cat LL 300 B loader . 4th picture Cat LL 300 B loading #116 P16 Pacific log truck . 5th picture Sherry and Jason Hird standing on front of #116 on a snowy Nov. 1990 day .

  2381. #2381camptramp2015-12-16 21:20

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries , Loading road ballast 1990 .

  2382. #2382camptramp2015-12-16 21:34

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries . #116 loaded , down hill for the DLS .

  2383. #2383camptramp2015-12-16 21:37

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries . #116 loaded down hill for DLS Nov. 1990.

  2384. #2384camptramp2015-12-17 22:01

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries , June 1990 , New Cat LL 300 B log loader , loading #107 849 Kenworth preloader log truck from 121 Madill grapple yarder .

  2385. #2385camptramp2015-12-17 22:16

    Toby Hird , Gordendale Logging , Division of Forestland Industries , Nov. 1990 , #116 a 1972 P16 Pacific , Driver Jason Hird .

  2386. #2386Trainman2015-12-23 15:24

    New member from Port Alberni, thought I would throw some more recent pictures up: First two are from the north end of the Island, past Holberg and near Cape Scott, taken July 2010. BC Timber Sales: Moving a bit further south, this was taken on Nootka Island in May 2011, WFP: Next is the famous H17 south of town, taken May 2014, also WFP: And a little different, but still with a forestry theme, the No. 11 taken outside the Somass mill this November, a very nice example of what our local heritage society is capable of doing: Hope you enjoy!

  2387. #2387HDX2015-12-23 16:42

    Trainman Welcome to the site. I have some train stuff I will post for you over the holidays

  2388. #2388Scott_5272015-12-23 19:03

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3R2pmRno5A

  2389. #2389DBDLS2015-12-23 19:29

    Nicely done video. Thanks.

  2390. #2390Scott_5272015-12-23 19:36

    They did a good job on it for sure!

  2391. #2391RCP572015-12-23 20:26

    I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thanks for posting all of the photos and information again this year. Always some interesting stuff to see and learn about. [video=youtube;cKw7xfVCJsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKw7xfVCJsU[/video]

  2392. #2392dirty4fun2015-12-24 05:27

    Merry Christmas to all my new found friends here, and hope you have a Happy New Year. Will be seeing you this summer, in your beautiful part of the world. Thanks to everyone who has spent so much time sharing pictures and knowledge you have made this site the best. RCP 57 Once again you have done an excellent job with you models and presentation!

  2393. #2393RCP572015-12-24 09:10

    Merry Christmas Jim. I look forward to catching up with you in 2016. Bike trip again or???

  2394. #2394diamondtguy2015-12-24 23:21

    Merry Christmas to all.........Cory

  2395. #2395camptramp2015-12-25 00:32

    Born2clearcut sent this to me a couple of days ago , and like to share it . A Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night.

  2396. #2396HD Mech2015-12-25 01:16

    A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

  2397. #2397dirty4fun2015-12-25 04:23

    Reg, I am planning on two wheels again, to take me across the western U S. Hope to get a little stick time operating a dump truck for you at the Duncan show. Will be in touch. MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!

  2398. #2398Vigilant2015-12-25 21:35

    Merry Christmas to all.

  2399. #2399John Shipp2015-12-26 13:09

    Warm seasons greetings to all heavy equipment forum-ers. And great video there Scott 527, really liked that especially the hoechuckers which is something I'm trying to develop over here. Cheers to all, John.

  2400. #2400Trainman2015-12-28 00:37

    The Island has its big machines: Grapple yarders (including in the snow): Super Snorkel: Big loads: Even a logging railway: Fun place to be back to after 20 years in the pine belt of the Interior.

  2401. #2401Glepacos HET2016-01-07 16:15

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Yi55pdad8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-JDUzH2n-4

  2402. #2402Glepacos HET2016-01-07 16:17

    [video=youtube;21Yi55pdad8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Yi55pdad8[/video]

  2403. #2403Glepacos HET2016-01-07 16:24

    Check out our other video`s on Youtube. Thank you [video]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDDXMqS3nvBqoO29x_HjP4Q[/video]

  2404. #2404RCP572016-01-24 14:38

    I wouldn't say this was "Vancouver Island's logging at it's best" but it was taken at Cameron Div yesterday...

  2405. #2405Blk prince2016-01-24 16:02

    Hungry for wood!

  2406. #2406dirty4fun2016-01-25 05:29

    Reg, Looks like you took a little trip, glad you captured the old ladies sitting there before they are gone. Wish I could be there to see them with you. Just unbelieveable how fast things can and do change. Hope you got a bunch of pictures taken while they are still together!

  2407. #2407RCP572016-01-25 09:57

    Yeah we were lucky to have got there in time to take a few pictures Jim. Just craziness to us but what do we know? I'm not sure if anyone really understands what's happening but as you said, it sure has changed in a hurry!

  2408. #2408RCP572016-01-25 10:05
  2409. #2409HD Mech2016-01-25 16:27

    I must have missed it, am I understanding that all the off-highway trucks other than the low bed and one for a push truck are going now? I thought it was later in the year.

  2410. #2410dirty4fun2016-01-25 19:22

    Thanks Reg, I sure enjoy seeing the pictures thou it sure does create a lump in my throat, and dampens my eyes. I know a couple years ago that they were pushing for on highway trucks when I was there Steve had shared. They sure do look good to me, thou would only look better with a load of logs loaded and coming down the road,to the DLS. While I am new to this and sure an outsider can see no way that this will achieve the goal that they hope it will. Yes the old girls are slow, and getting old, but still can haul so much more than a highway truck. They do it much safer coming down the down the switch backed mountain roads. I guess time will tell and it would be costly to park them but would seem much safer. park them work on them, get them back into better condition as fill in work for the mechanics. While trying some highway trucks, if the highway trucks work out then sell them. Should be worth a lot more in better condition, and you have a back up plan if the highway trucks don't work out. Something like this would make a bean counter goes crazy but most bean counters are pretty close to there already!

  2411. #2411caycusion2016-01-25 21:17

    I remember the day when Big Bucks backed into our longline landing in hemmingsen creek with a highway truck to take a load of old growth cedar straight to shoal island. We damn near laughed him off the claim.......well guess what happened shortly there after?

  2412. #2412HDX2016-01-25 22:34

    caycusion That same thought occurred to all of us also. What is interesting is of those pictured above, all three big outfits are represented right there. There is a couple Crown Z trucks and few M&B and some BCFP as well as one Bill Neil HDX. Only two big ones left H14 under the lowbed (ex M&B) and H119 Push/Utility truck (ex Crown Z) These will go to the same buyer at the termination of the IPL contract. I will go through the list and pictures and post them when I get all the pictures together. There WAS 21 big trucks out there. And then there were NONE!!! Now the only big trucks running out there will be Dave Mills with his.

  2413. #2413HDX2016-01-31 18:14

    This is a close-up of the Budd/Dayton wheel adaptors that were used to convert your Budd wheels over to Dayton. We had discussed this system on the BCFP thread awhile back. This is what they look like.

  2414. #2414diamondtguy2016-01-31 20:30

    Never heard of those adaptors before...Are those a camp/Island invention..?????

  2415. #2415HDX2016-01-31 21:23

    No Cory They been around for a long time just never see them anymore because most of the Budd wheels are long gone now. Every now and then some of these will pop up. I figured with all the guys on here that someone might look at those and start thinkin about what a neat idea they are and using the concept on other equipment. I think most stuff our southern friends have is mostly Budd wheels. I actually had a brainfart about taking one of those adapters and seeing if it would fit on my M123A1C tractor and convert the wheels over to Dayton and go with 14:00X25 tires instead of 14:0024's. Tires are basically the same size and 14:00X25 tires are readily available whereas the 14:00X24 are almost impossible to find now. Sure would look cool on her. Then the light goes on and common sense kicks in. Do I really need to go there right now As if I don't have enough to do already. Maybe I will just keep that little thought on the back burner for now. HHMMMM note to self

  2416. #2416diamondtguy2016-01-31 21:47

    Thanks....I completely understand about having enough to do right now...Doesn't stop the brain from quietly thinking away tho I asked my brother (35 year tire guy) about the adaptors and he has never heard of them before. That's two things I have learned today... Cheers

  2417. #2417Bumpsteer2016-02-06 10:10

    From the Vintage equipment site on FB. I think the first one has been posted before. Ed

  2418. #2418Blk prince2016-02-09 21:05

    Hauled lumber out of WFP Cow Bay Sawmill today. Mill is gearing up to work 5 shifts days and nites of 10 hrs. Hiring many people. Loggers are going to be hustling to keep mills in wood. 2-3 more mills expected to follow

  2419. #2419HDX2016-02-09 21:26

    Good for them Western is a kind hearted company!!! Only looking out for the working people.

  2420. #2420donkey doctor2016-02-10 01:34

    Good to hear. Hug a logger! d.d.

  2421. #2421dirty4fun2016-02-10 04:07

    Hope the other mills follow suit, be great to hear that things are not just picking up, but are booming! I am in Florida and there is lots of construction going on. Many new houses and lots of dirt work for new subdivisions happening. Maybe things will turn around.

  2422. #2422camptramp2016-02-12 22:11

    Bill Elliott has loaned us some pictures to share . WFI Gordon River Camp ( pictures taken by Dave Whiskin ) 1st & 2nd pictures #2141 late 1960's 849 Kenworth Preloader driver Dave Whiskin . 3rd picture 1960's Pacific Preloader ex WFI truck owned by Contractor Bob Much. 4th picture 1960's HD Hayes ex M&B truck owned by contractor W,C.(Bill) Smith . 5th picture HD Hayes contractor W.J. Cooke .

  2423. #2423RonG2016-02-13 01:13

    It's an election year.Ron G

  2424. #2424Scott_5272016-02-14 21:49

    Heres an interesting little video. Don;t know who the contractor is but they have some interesting iron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSzViufMpM

  2425. #2425camptramp2016-02-14 23:22

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO DLS Honeymoon Bay , 1st picture Crew at work on sorting pad . 2nd & 3rd pictures DLS crew taking advantage of photo opps . Pat MacMillen is standing in center of 3rd picture wearing sun glass's .

  2426. #2426camptramp2016-02-14 23:37

    Thanks for the video's Scott_527 don't know who owns it now , but the yellow P16 Pacific was new at Crown Z at Courtnay Div. #40-73 in 1973 . Fletcher Challenge sent it to Renfrew Div. Gordon River shop 1990-1991 where it was rebuilt and put back on the road in 1992 . It was sold to SureSpan Structures with the #40-106 a P16 Pacific that was new at BCFP Silver River Div. as #6-257 , around 2000 .

  2427. #2427skadill2016-02-15 00:42

    possible bones to your post

  2428. #2428camptramp2016-02-16 22:00

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO , Pictures of Rich Bennett's Western Star log truck leased to Timberwest , driver Pat MacMillen .

  2429. #2429camptramp2016-02-17 23:04

    Pat Mac , Timberwest HBO , Rich Bennett's truck leased to Timberwest , driver Pat MacMillen .

  2430. #2430winterax2016-02-18 21:55

    looks like the trailer got stretched a little too far. Couple logs not making it to the second bunk

  2431. #2431camptramp2016-02-18 23:23

    Looks like somebody used a little to much trailer brake . Looks like it will have to be reloaded .

  2432. #2432camptramp2016-02-18 23:55

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO Following Pacific Logging's Mesachie Lake Div. Lowbed with an 075 Madill Super Snorkel on board up Fleet M/L .

  2433. #2433camptramp2016-02-18 23:59

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO Loading scaled wood at Honeymoon Bay DLS to deliver to Shoal Island DLS By Crofton .

  2434. #2434camptramp2016-02-19 23:19

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO

  2435. #2435camptramp2016-02-19 23:23

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO , Canadian Air Crane Heli-Logging .

  2436. #2436camptramp2016-02-19 23:38

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO Landing Bucker Bucking Heli-Logging logs at old Harris Creek Camp site .

  2437. #2437Greatwestcam2016-02-21 18:07

    Family Days Was given some photos of when Powell Daniels Contracting had Family Day, they brought in every ones families and friends by boat and plane so they could see what we do. This was the old Percy Logging camp at the head of Powell lake.

  2438. #2438Greatwestcam2016-02-21 18:16

    Stillwater Stillwater sort had an open house/family day also, a few pics of their operation.

  2439. #2439camptramp2016-02-22 00:15

    Pat Mac Timberwest HBO 1st picture following Lowbed 2nd to 4th pictures , meeting lowbed .

  2440. #2440camptramp2016-02-22 23:36

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO

  2441. #2441camptramp2016-02-22 23:38

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO , A view from the "Cab"

  2442. #2442camptramp2016-02-23 00:02

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO , Early morning at a Long Line Tower , fog in the valley and Sky Car in the air .

  2443. #2443dirty4fun2016-02-23 05:23

    Great pictures camptramp, it reminds me of my first day riding with HDX. Every trip up I got to see more as the fog kept burning off. I think he said it was that way so it didn't over whelm me with the beauty of the island. It truly is a beautiful place to be, that is for sure!

  2444. #2444caycusion2016-02-23 20:07

    That's the last longline show.....top of c-4/upper Nixon.

  2445. #2445camptramp2016-02-23 22:26

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO 5th picture is a load of scaled & sorted Cedar loaded at Honeymoon Bay DLS , ready to leave to deliver to Shoal Island DLS . 1st to 4th pictures are a drivers view from the "Cab"

  2446. #2446camptramp2016-02-23 22:31

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO A view from the Cab .

  2447. #2447camptramp2016-02-23 22:53

    We did get to Parksville today . HDX who' s yard are these trucks stored at And who owns them .

  2448. #2448HDX2016-02-24 00:33

    The yard is just a rental. I heard he was trying to lease the other yard just down the road with the other two trucks in it ,Just a field with a shed on it that the fellow use to park his crane in. The owner of the crane passed away and now I think the property is for sale or lease. Ronald Coulson is the new owner of all the trucks and trailers. He is the owner of Crown Royal golf coarse in Courtenay. We thought maybe he was going to make P16 golf carts and a couple HDX ones also! Cant see him buying the lot for the interim, but you never know. How many trucks were there altogether Al? There is no trailers there yet because they are still all in Sarita Yard.

  2449. #2449dirty4fun2016-02-24 05:06

    If he makes golf carts out of them I will be taking up golfing, I am sure I can get RCP57 to go with. Guess they could handle a bag with a few clubs, without an over loading problem.

  2450. #2450HDX2016-02-24 12:59

    diamondtguy The above picture of H157 is/was ex M&B H153 Note boxed in front bumper H153, H155 and H138 had that. That was the three conventionals of the 1989 order. The brush guards on these two trucks was not changed over to the older style because they were both done after HFS was out of the equasion It was Al Waugh and his company that did those trucks as well as H160. They were done under contract to IPL. VERY NICE REBUILD'S

  2451. #2451TorkelH2016-02-24 15:33

    Hi HDX, I feel sad hearing about the off highway trucks being fased out in such a hurry. What do you believe is mr Coulsons idea behind buying them?

  2452. #2452HDX2016-02-24 20:01

    Quick buck! Just flip them. They will still command a pretty good dollar so he will make money on them. There are a couple pretty darn good trucks in that collection and they will serve their new masters well for some time to come. Some will require a good deal of money to be spent on them to bring them up to standards but for the most part in todays work environment they will hold their own. When you see what guys do with these older trucks it is incredible I have heard some will head south of the border and some will remain in the oil fields. All we can do is wait and see.

  2453. #2453camptramp2016-02-24 23:03

    HDX There are 14 P16 Pacific's & HDX Hayes from IPL , plus 2 off highway lowbed's . Here are some more pictures from Parksville .

  2454. #2454camptramp2016-02-24 23:05

    More pictures from Parksville .

  2455. #2455diamondtguy2016-02-24 23:06

    Sad to see them all sitting there waiting for new unknown orders and destiny.Most of them look very well cared for..Sure can see how the canopys have evolved and been changed over the years from camp to camp... As I was typing Camptramp was posting more pics.....Holy ****

  2456. #2456camptramp2016-02-24 23:07

    More pictures from Parksville .

  2457. #2457camptramp2016-02-24 23:11

    More pictures from Parksville .

  2458. #2458camptramp2016-02-24 23:17

    More pictures from Parksville . I asked a fellow if I could take pictures who , which was Okay . I also asked him what would happen to these Off Highway Trucks , he said the conventional's would be sold off . And that they would be keeping the preloader' s as they do a lot of Off Highway Lowbed moves on the North end of Island .

  2459. #2459camptramp2016-02-24 23:22

    Here are a couple of other trucks parked in back of yard in 1 looks like an Ex CZ Pacific

  2460. #2460camptramp2016-02-24 23:25

    Here's a picture of a couple trucks being worked on in shop . One looks like an Ex CZ P16 Pacific preloader , but the cab is painted BCFP colours .

  2461. #2461diamondtguy2016-02-24 23:58

    Well that P-16 has my brain spinning .I have seen that rad/grille guard before.Its a big window cab so that part of it is my era at Pacific.Frame is set up for dual steering rams and the heat exchanger location tells me it was probably V12 powered.Memory tells me the KTA's had it mounted down low...Also there appears to be a large crossmember in front of the Allison.May have been the front mount for the skid plate we sometimes used on them (not often).There also appears to be a small battery box on the left side.The norm would be the right side (much larger box) unless the truck had a air starter.. ....Very interesting

  2462. #2462camptramp2016-02-25 00:24

    Pat MacMillen Aliford Bay Logging , Stewardson Inlet .

  2463. #2463camptramp2016-02-25 00:27

    Pat Mac , Stewardson Inlet , Aliford Bay Logging .

  2464. #2464camptramp2016-02-25 09:44

    The Pacific in picture is painted in BCFP colours , front bumper looks like it was a CZ truck . the green on cab wider than any BCFP trucks I have pictures of 1st & 2nd pictures factory BCFP paint jobs , 3rd picture is a Nekite River Div. Camp paint job , 4th picture is a Renfrew Div. Camp paint job , 5th picture is a Caycuse Div. Camp paint job . Now go back to Truck in shop , the green on cab is wider , I've never seen a Truck painted at Elk River . They used a different style of preloader than the other BCFP Camps I wonder if this truck could have ended up at Elk River and has been repainted there ?

  2465. #2465HDX2016-02-25 12:20

    Post 2457 first two pictures P16 H143 Was originally a Preload truck owned by canal transport in alberni Was sold to HFS when they took over everything in the Alberni Valley. They bought one of the M&B P16's that had been in an accident and had front frame damage(H67) Was cut in half and welded to the back end of H143 to make it a conventional. If you zoom in on the right hand side of the picture above you will see the tailhold bracket still on there for the hydraulic side ram. Look right under the water tank by the steps. Post 2461 P16 was a Crown Z truck went to NitNat Division new, Bill Brown I think might have got her new. Under the frame right under the water tank is the brackets for the Cotta Trans that was in her when new, Blk prince can fill in the details. Al thanks for going up there and sharing the pictures. The real impact will be when they are all there together. H119 and the big Smith lowbed were lowbedded out of Cameron Shop Yard yesterday. So far they will be used down in the chemainus/Shawnigan are of operation till time comes to turn them over to Coulson. Now only H14 left in the yard with her low bed. .don't see some of the other trucks there yet so there is still about 5 more to come These will be more residue trucks BUT they did haul with us when times were better. I will post pictures of them back when they were hauling in Sarita.

  2466. #2466diamondtguy2016-02-25 12:36

    Well that would be why Its got me thinking..The brackets I see are for the Cotta and not a skid plate.I am guessing that is one of the two remaining trucks that were 12V92 powered..

  2467. #2467Hoeguy2016-02-25 21:33

    I was working there around that time, Had a 200 hitachi and Blue Pacific lowbed. I was doing odd jobs around camp and road repairs.

  2468. #2468Hoeguy2016-02-25 21:35

    Stewardson that is.

  2469. #2469camptramp2016-02-25 23:58

    Pat MacMillen Ailford Bay Logging , Stewardson Inlet , Dryland Sort area . Welcome to HEF Hoeguy .

  2470. #2470camptramp2016-02-26 00:00

    Pat Mac , Aliford Bay Logging , Stewardson Inlet , Booming Grounds .

  2471. #2471camptramp2016-02-26 00:03

    Pat Mac , Aliford Bay logging , Stewardson Inlet , Log Barge Loading .

  2472. #2472diamondtguy2016-02-26 20:14

    Some pictures from Parksville taken yesterday by a friend.

  2473. #2473diamondtguy2016-02-26 20:17

    A few more..

  2474. #2474HDX2016-02-26 21:49

    PenHil: Here's the pictures of China Creek Dryland Sort. Tried to find some of the Madill log loader. Will keep looking.

  2475. #2475camptramp2016-02-26 23:56

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO , Lowbed moving Loader #54-87 Cypress 7230 into a "Berry Patch"

  2476. #2476camptramp2016-02-27 00:00

    Pat MacMillen Temberwest HBO , Cypress Loader #54-87 in the "Berry Patch"

  2477. #2477camptramp2016-02-27 00:03

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO . Highway Truck with load of "Berries" on the road .

  2478. #2478camptramp2016-02-27 00:30

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO , Loaded Highway truck at Honeymoon Bay DLS truck Wash .

  2479. #2479camptramp2016-02-27 00:35

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO , A mishap involving a Hayes Forest Service highway truck on Gordon River M/L about 28 or 29 KM .Empty truck rolled over .

  2480. #2480camptramp2016-02-27 00:37

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO , Hayes truck mishap .

  2481. #2481RonG2016-02-27 03:57

    Can anyone tell how old that tree is by counting the rings etc. or does anyone bother any more.What a load.About how many board feet would you estimate in it? How much do they usually haul on them?I have heard that they are 13' bunks.Thanks,Ron G

  2482. #2482dirty4fun2016-02-27 12:18

    If it is a highway truck legal width would be 8' 6". Sure a nice "Berrie", that is for sure.!

  2483. #2483HDX2016-02-27 12:35

    camptramp That truck pulling the low bed went on to be our H119 and the push truck became H156 I think! What do you think? The lowbed truck is a Crown Z truck and the push truck was one of your BCFP winch truck's. Do you recall any of those?

  2484. #2484camptramp2016-02-27 13:05

    These pictures would have been taken after Timberwest had changed over from Off Highway hauling wood to Honeymoon Bay DLS , to Highway Trucks hauling wood to Shoal Island DLS . The 5th wheel had been changed on the #40-91 from small CZ King pin size to larger BCFP King pin size to handle Lowbed . Lowbed truck #40-91 exCZ truck , push truck #40-138 ex BCFP truck #6-260

  2485. #2485Blk prince2016-02-27 21:06

    camptramp,what is the grapple doing on the goose neck? Was it unhooked from machine or a spare?

  2486. #2486HDX2016-02-27 21:26

    Blk prince I think they walked the shovel up on the bed Chained the grapples on the gooseneck then swung the loader around and left the lines lay against the side of the loader. That way they are not hanging or chained right in front of the push truck We do this all the time Works good

  2487. #2487camptramp2016-03-03 22:59

    Pat MacMillen Not sure when some of these pictures were taken , some are Timberwest at HBO , some are Teal Jones at HBO .

  2488. #2488camptramp2016-03-03 23:01

    Pat MacMillen HBO

  2489. #2489camptramp2016-03-03 23:27

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO The #54-66 American 7220 operator Brian Schultz loading out from Cypress Grapple Yarder .

  2490. #2490camptramp2016-03-04 23:45

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO , #41-257 Western Star logging truck at loading sides .

  2491. #2491camptramp2016-03-04 23:50

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO , 1st & 2nd pictures #41-257 logging truck in Woods at loading side . 3rd , 4th & 5th pictures at Shoal Island DLS .

  2492. #2492camptramp2016-03-05 23:37

    Pat MacMillen , 1st & 2nd pictures loading Helicopter wood . 3rd & 4th pictures loading Hoe Chucker wood on a hill .

  2493. #2493camptramp2016-03-05 23:42

    Pat MacMillen , Unloading log trucks at Nitinat First Nations Mill .

  2494. #2494camptramp2016-03-05 23:59

    Pat MacMillen , The next pictures are of the Harris Creek at a call point on the Harris Cr, M/L known as the "Seventeen Mile Rock Cut" at a flood stage and at low level . This stretch of road has been washed out on a number of occasion's.

  2495. #2495camptramp2016-03-06 00:01

    Pat Mac Mikken , Seventeen Mile Rock Cut .

  2496. #2496camptramp2016-03-06 00:09

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO , One of Log Hauling Contractor Rich Bennett's drivers have a bad day .

  2497. #2497camptramp2016-03-06 00:11

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest HBO

  2498. #2498John Shipp2016-03-06 03:08

    I've often wondered if that could happen. Bump in road, or something broken off.

  2499. #2499camptramp2016-03-07 22:52

    2 possibillities 1 the trailer wasn't sitting in the "Rider Bars" properly when leaving the trailer reload at log dump and /or hit a bad bump along road . In any event its a good time to be in the good books with the operator of a "Self Loading Log Truck" to sit trailer back on rider bars properly .

  2500. #2500camptramp2016-03-07 23:12

    Pat MacMillen HBO Pictures of a Hoe Chucking setting .

  2501. #2501camptramp2016-03-07 23:16

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , Pictures of a Grapple Yarder setting .

  2502. #2502camptramp2016-03-07 23:18

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , Looking out the windshield on a Winters day .

  2503. #2503camptramp2016-03-07 23:26

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest , HBO , Not sure what happened , I guess I was working in a different area in the Division .

  2504. #2504camptramp2016-03-07 23:32

    Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO

  2505. #2505camptramp2016-03-07 23:39

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest , HBO ,

  2506. #2506camptramp2016-03-08 00:09

    Pat MacMillen , Timberwest , HBO , View attachment 151537 View attachment 151538 View attachment 151539 View attachment 151540

  2507. #2507dirty4fun2016-03-08 05:44

    Seeing the yarder laying on it's side sure would make you sick, if you were the owner or former operator. Looks like they should of had the dozer level off the ground before this happened. Did make a good road block, in case there was a bank hold up it sure would stopped the crooks get away1

  2508. #2508caycusion2016-03-09 20:49

    Ron Evans had a little mishap with a new 124. junction of grossklegs and south shore rd.

  2509. #2509camptramp2016-03-09 22:53

    Pat MacMillen HBO , 1st & 2nd pictures #41-257 log truck being loaded by Madill 3800 loader . 3rd & 4th pictures #88 log truck being loaded by Line Loader #54-87 .

  2510. #2510Blk prince2016-03-09 23:03

    Any chance he came off lowbed boom first?

  2511. #2511camptramp2016-03-09 23:12

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , 1st picture Landing Bucker Wed McKechnie standing on pile of Heli logs . 2nd picture Wayne Coulombe standing on log pile . 3rd & 4th pictures Brian Schultz operating #54-87 Cypress Log Loader . 5th picture Wayne Coulombe standing in front of log truck being loaded .

  2512. #2512camptramp2016-03-09 23:17

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , As these loads are peaked up over legal highway height , I think they are being hauled to Nitinat First Nations Mill . [/ATTACH]151634[/ATTACH]

  2513. #2513dirty4fun2016-03-10 04:10

    What I was going by was the tracks I thought he left in the one picture. Unless it was a different machine it looked like it was turning off the road headed to the landing. Sure would make for a rotten day!

  2514. #2514HDX2016-03-10 10:37

    That is the first time I have seen Wayne since he was throwing tongs for his dad on a hayrack in Franklin back in the 70's. We both had 64 Pontiac Parisienne 2 door hard tops. Wonder if he kept his car? camptramp Cant help but see the sweeper Bar in the first picture in post 2510. Every one of our Juicers had one of those when we were still a big outfit Then the new people came along and turfed them in the scrap bin. Sure did work well while we had them

  2515. #2515caycusion2016-03-10 13:35

    he was just walking down off the spur on to the mainline to get on the bed...

  2516. #2516BDFT2016-03-10 14:32

    There must more to the story than that. Those things don't fall over that easy.

  2517. #2517caycusion2016-03-10 14:44

    of course there is

  2518. #2518camptramp2016-03-10 17:54

    I don't think Wayne has his Pontiac anymore , he did have a nice mid 1970's Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 . The "Sweeper Bar" another good idea that is becoming history , an average loader operator would leave a clean landing and road surface behind , an ace operator would leave a graded road surface . Wouldn't it make sense to leave some branches and debris to drive over , get a limb jambed up in the frame , lay in the mud to wrestle it out , if it takes out an airline or fitting , drop a trip fixing it . About the same as switching to Highway Trucks and hauling on highway , then eliminate the "truck washes" makes more sense to pack 500 KM of mud than payload , then point the finger at the driver when the load scale is down .

  2519. #2519caycusion2016-03-10 18:12

    When the contractors took over they were disgusted that such a thing even existed and refused to fix them, usually taking the first chance to chuck it in the steel bin.....the loader operators would sweet talk the welders for a little touch up whenever possible.

  2520. #2520camptramp2016-03-10 22:49

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , #54-87 Cypress log loader loading out of pile of Heli-wood .

  2521. #2521camptramp2016-03-10 22:59

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , #54-87 Cypress Log Loader , 3rd picture Wayne Coulombe standing on cab guard. 4th picture L to R , Landing Bucker Wes McKechnie , Loader Operator Brian Schultz , Landing Bucker Wayne Coulombe . 5th picture Truck Driver Pat MacMillen .

  2522. #2522camptramp2016-03-10 23:04

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , Two Ravens keeping an eye on things .

  2523. #2523camptramp2016-03-10 23:26

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , 1st & 2nd pictures #54-87 Cypress Log Loader loading Heli-wood . 3rd & 4th pictures Tire Man Dan Reid changing tire at Honeymoon Bay Shop .

  2524. #2524camptramp2016-03-10 23:30

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , 1st picture looking at the road ahead . 2nd picture waiting in line to get dumped at Ladysmith DLS .

  2525. #2525camptramp2016-03-10 23:36

    Pat MacMillen , HBO , Pat doing his part to support local Soft Ball , having his logging truck washed at at Fund Raiser Car Wash , I believe truck owner Lyle Newton made a generous contribution .

  2526. #2526John Shipp2016-03-11 13:47

    Don't suppose anyone has a close up picture of one, look very useful. Could use something like that for sure. Cheers

  2527. #2527camptramp2016-03-17 23:05

    The scrapper is about 12-14 feet wide , made of about 14-18 in. "I" beam steel with a hole cut in it to allow the grapples to close inside it . The ends have a plate across each end to reinforce it . And worn out Grader cutting edges are welded around center hole and along bottom and ends to reinforce it and wear down , replaced when needed . And yes they are very simple and very useful .

  2528. #2528John Shipp2016-03-18 03:31

    Thanks Camptramp, it's gone on the welding list! Did see a picture of one way back in a thread, looked a good idea. All the best.

  2529. #2529caycusion2016-04-09 23:26
  2530. #2530caycusion2016-04-09 23:28
  2531. #2531loggers son2016-04-12 06:09

    awesome, how far out is that? Trev

  2532. #2532caycusion2016-04-12 19:56

    right to the knob on the strawline drum

  2533. #2533camptramp2016-04-24 23:34

    Boulder Bill , Nitinat Lake area Mack logging truck , Skagit loader .

  2534. #2534caycusion2016-05-23 21:16
  2535. #2535RCP572016-05-23 22:45

    She got a new muffler!

  2536. #2536caycusion2016-05-24 20:52

    almost like a new truck now

  2537. #2537RCP572016-05-25 09:39

    Absolutely!lol

  2538. #2538NP-15-A2016-07-04 23:19

    Duncan Truck Show, July 16 and 17, 2016 10am to 4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday ~ BC Forest Discovery Centre ~ located on Trans Canada Highway at Drinkwater Road, Duncan, BC. Admission: one ticket good for both days, adult $10, seniors $8, children (ages 3-18) $8, children under 3 free, Those with BCFDC 2016 membership ~ free admission ~ family friendly event with concession available with BBQ, cotton candy and mini donuts Truck entry fee $10 to participate and receive a dash plaque. for more information email [email protected] This event is hosted by the Vancouver Island Chapter of the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society). The Truck Club is open to new members, with and without a truck, check the website. www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com Hope you're able to come and visit. Regards, Cam

  2539. #2539thetrainguru2016-07-09 10:58
  2540. #2540caycusion2016-08-04 21:35
  2541. #2541HDX2016-08-13 22:57

    One of our members--Penhill--runs our hydraulic loader in the Sarita Dryland. This last week he was out performing his duties sorting logs when all hell broke loose. One of the truck drivers called him on the radio and told him his machine was on fire. By the time he turned around to look out the door, everything was fully engulfed. He managed to squeeze out the door, drop down onto the top of the engine compartment, down onto the tracks and then onto the ground. The sheet metal was already hot so he burned his hands but otherwise he was unscathed. He asked me to post these pictures. Unbelievable how fast the fire spread. His cell phone and lunch bucket don't work very well anymore.

  2542. #2542HDX2016-08-13 23:00

    A couple more.

  2543. #2543Bumpsteer2016-08-13 23:54

    WOW! Glad he got out with only minor injuries. Ed

  2544. #2544hvy 1ton2016-08-14 01:30

    Wow, that brewed up big. I guess that's one disadvantage of rear entry cabs.

  2545. #2545dirty4fun2016-08-14 06:22

    Glad he got away with only some burns to his hands, he was lucky a driver saw the fire. Had to be darn exciting to exit into the fire, for him.

  2546. #2546HDX2016-08-14 11:05

    The sad thing was it was a really good machine Very well dialed in and Penti had her set up really well. Even the air conditioner worked, and in todays environment that is rare. He told me they are going to take the tracks off the burned machine and put them on the replacement loader. Like you said Jim He dodged a big one there

  2547. #2547Blk prince2016-08-15 19:10

    Even sadder is that you guys did not need this right now

  2548. #2548winterax2016-08-15 22:52

    Very lucky. Any idea how it started to share/ heads up for others ?

  2549. #2549HDX2016-08-16 23:27

    winterax The insurance adjuster was here on monday. He is still scoping it out and as soon as we can find out what happened penhil will post the results

  2550. #2550drillrigdoc2016-08-20 02:30

    holy sh**t man, lucky...

  2551. #2551HDX2016-08-21 23:39

    Reg, you and Jim were wondering...this is what we're up to. H-119 was sent back on loan as a push truck very short term.

  2552. #2552Blk prince2016-08-22 00:14

    I see you have been busy. Like the cheater step?What is the story on the loader. You are using a long boom for loading?

  2553. #2553diamondtguy2016-08-22 01:58

    Nice to see them getting their tires dirty again.......

  2554. #2554dirty4fun2016-08-22 05:53

    Thanks Steve, good to see that part of the guys are back working, if only till the trees that are cut are at the mill. Well I assume they are going to the mill, if the bugs haven't destroyed them and turned them into chips or mulch material. Hopefully the government will make WFP pay for damages to the quality wood, then let someone responsible come in and put everyone back to work doing what they enjoy, and love doing. Very tough times for a troubled timber industry! Thanks for the pictures, thou it does make me miss it all the more!

  2555. #2555HDX2016-08-22 10:53

    Blk prince This one is a Grapple yarder going from Looper 200 to Klanawa 1200 Lots of moves right now due to the "clean-up mode" we are in. The fallers never got the opportunity to finish their settings, Only 4 fallers were brought back to go around to each area and just sguare off the quarters and walk away. 40 guys working No Grade No fallers other that the 4 I mentioned. The remaining 100 plus will sit at home for the entire year because this is western at their finest. As for the wood Yes Jim you are right on the money. There is a pile of once beautiful Fir and cedar sitting in the Sarita Dryland sort that WFP is going to give to the natives for firewood (don't give it to the Franklin guys sitting at home with nothing) The wood coming in in dribbles everyday has been down graded so much it makes you wonder why it goes un-noticed by government. DBDLS and a lot of scalers that come on here will verify the damage the bugs do. When western shut us down on Dec 18 there was a good amount of fir and cedar being hauled out the back way to Chemainus Really top grade stuff! Since we came back not one load has been taken that way, HHHMMM, We offered to haul some of the NFG logs up to Cameron for the guys for firewood but were told NO! it is going to the natives, Don't complicate the situation, Never saw such nonsense before where a company like WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS that can make people bleed for entertainment. Its a tough one no matter how you cut it. With no grade building roads and no fallers opening settings up one cant help but wonder how long (if at all) before the crew even comes back. There will be a long lag time between when the wood is licked up and the "NEW REPLACEMENT" contractors come in to replace IPL. Was told we are now the "Tim-Bit Crew" This is because now the natives have all TFL 44 given to them by our government, and we have a small circle in the middle. A company called PORBYN buys the timber on the stump and hires the non union contractors to come in and log it for them. Every day they haul in unbelievable amounts of second growth logs that western is buying from them and our trucks just sit. The priority is they have to dump first. We wait ***!!!

  2556. #2556dirty4fun2016-08-23 06:29

    HDX, once again thanks on the update. I knew things were bad last winter when WFP shut down IPL and started demanding more. Then things seemed to get worse, with the logs laying there down grading everyday. Now it sounds like it has turned to pure ****. What WFP is up to only they know but sounds like some real dirty crap, that only a big company can get away with, at least for a while. They demand IPL get on road trucks to haul direct to the mill, poor Lyle did that then they start adding more hoops to jump through. Now he has trucks that aren't sold and trucks that aren't working, along with all the men sitting around. One has to wonder why WFP wants to break IPL, as that is what WFP is sure trying to do. This has to be very hard on the men who have known nothing but work all their lives, to be home everyday. Everyone enjoys a couple weeks off, knowing they are going back to work and making money to live. This has to be very hard on them and the whole area! Can't the government see what is happening? Wish the TV crew would film the down graded lumber, and how WFP is not having to pay for the damages they have created. I sure am hoping that the great working men of IPL have things go there way real soon!!

  2557. #2557diamondtguy2016-08-28 21:42

    I bought these prints two years ago at the Alberni truck show and Mary just had them all mounted and framed for me...Cant wait to hang them up in my Library... BC trucks at their finest......

  2558. #2558camptramp2016-08-28 23:51

    The Pacific is a BCFP Renfrew Div. P16 #6-260 not sure what year , it might be a 1978 . Tony Weber got the truck new and was driving it when picture was taken crossing the Gordon River Bridge shortly before he retired . Truck had recently been repowered with a twin turbo V12-71 Detroit replacing natural V12-71 and repainted . To the best of my knowledge , it was the last truck painted in BCFP colour's as Fletcher Challenge had recently taken over BCFP just prior to this picture being taken . Tony has long left us , but his family has the original painting . The HDX Hayes is the last Hayes owned by our late friend from Victoria Bill Neil . The late Carl Carlson was diving it when the picture was taken crossing the Bridge at the bottom of TR. 11 before it joins the Gordon River M/L . Picture was taken between 1983 -1985 . I have the original painting . Will probably donate it to the Sooke Museum someday , where Bill Neil was a legendary trucker in his own time , with a fleet of Off Highway logging trucks hauling for Butler Brothers .

  2559. #2559diamondtguy2016-08-29 00:34

    Thanks for the history on the pics.I will write it down on the back of them.Nice to know the Pacific was built during my time there.. I also have the big poster Allied Concrete had in there head office of their tandem steer Pacific.(s)It is being hard mounted and will post a pic of it when I get it back..

  2560. #2560caycusion2016-09-09 20:39

    ......new paint.

  2561. #2561caycusion2016-09-09 20:41
  2562. #2562camptramp2016-09-23 00:02

    Jim Burns , Olympic Forest Products , Queen Charlotte Islands .

  2563. #2563diamondtguy2016-09-23 00:41

    nice assortment of trucks....

  2564. #2564DBDLS2016-09-23 11:38

    Looks like MB's old shop in Queen Charlotte City.

  2565. #2565camptramp2016-09-24 22:30

    Jim Burns , Queen Charlotte Islands .

  2566. #2566camptramp2016-09-27 23:19

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO Div. , Someone caught Dumpster diving at Gordon River Shop .

  2567. #2567camptramp2016-09-27 23:25

    Jim Burns , A bridge built over Sheemahaut River at 26 km under the direction of Jim's step father Buck Wilson .

  2568. #2568camptramp2016-09-29 23:40

    Jeet Sangara , Timberwest HBO Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  2569. #2569camptramp2016-09-29 23:58

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO Div. Bridge on Edinburgh M/L crossing Gordon River . 1st picture looking down into canyon bridge will cross . 2nd , 3rd , 4th pictures , moving Excavator across canyon to prepare bridge approach on far side .

  2570. #2570camptramp2016-09-30 23:35

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO Div. Moving Excavator across Gordon River to build bridge for Edinburgh M/L .

  2571. #2571dirty4fun2016-10-01 04:51

    Great set of pictures Tramp, love seeing how they rigged up the excavator to get it across to the other side. Just shows you how much of a load they could handle, and how inventive they were. Very neat!

  2572. #2572caycusion2016-10-01 20:58
  2573. #2573camptramp2016-10-01 22:08

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO Div. Moving Excavator across Gordon River to build bridge for Edinburgh M/L .

  2574. #2574dirty4fun2016-10-02 05:42

    Simply amazing to me how they did what ever it took to get a job done!

  2575. #2575farmIT2016-10-02 12:07

    Wow that's truly amazing!

  2576. #2576Sigurd2016-10-02 15:20

    View attachment 159983 . Same place, same machine i think

  2577. #2577camptramp2016-10-02 16:20

    On pages 52 -53 posting #780 - #781 - #782 This thread I posted another set of pictures belonging to Tom Worth of the same event .

  2578. #2578camptramp2016-10-02 23:02

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO . Not sure when these pictures were , but it was a long way's from home .

  2579. #2579camptramp2016-10-02 23:05

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO , Not sure what happened here , but something tell's me someone is having a bad day .

  2580. #2580camptramp2016-10-03 20:02

    Jim Burns , Olympic Logging , Queen Charlotte Islands .

  2581. #2581camptramp2016-10-03 20:09

    Jim Burns , Olympic Logging , Queen Charlotte Islands . Stuck in camp with a dusting of "Termination Dust" .

  2582. #2582camptramp2016-10-03 20:15

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO . The beginning of the Long Line program .

  2583. #2583camptramp2016-10-03 20:17

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO , Long Line program .

  2584. #2584camptramp2016-10-03 20:19

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO , Long Line Program .

  2585. #2585Redwood Climber2016-10-04 22:40

    What a Beauty! Thanks for posting the pictures of the BU 199. She's a beauty! She does need a coat of paint but what a machine! Everything about her is all about work. Takes me back about 27 years......how I wish I could hear her ROAR!! one more time.

  2586. #2586caycusion2016-10-05 21:08

    listen closely to your beer can....it might be made out of that yarder

  2587. #2587caycusion2016-10-07 22:42

    hillside lunch shack Fridays......soggy sangys and watery eyes served all day

  2588. #2588caycusion2016-10-09 22:08

    [video]https://www.facebook.com/kyle.klassen.52/videos/10210659325297473/[/video]

  2589. #2589caycusion2016-10-10 00:29
  2590. #2590camptramp2016-10-27 23:48

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO , Div.

  2591. #2591TorkelH2016-10-29 09:57

    Hello Camptramp! Thank you for the BU-199 pictures! Is this the same yarder as in #2583? And are you able to read the serial number from the original picture or maybe get it from Mr. Brian Dickson? I'm pretty sure this yarder belonged to Mike Graves before it came to Vancouver Island from Alaska and that it originally was a Louisiana Pacific-yarder from northern California. I'm also sure it was one of the first one made because the primary chain drive housing was redesigned in 1976.

  2592. #2592RCP572016-10-30 10:51

    So HDX, what's been happening lately in the Sarita area?

  2593. #2593Blk prince2016-10-30 11:32

    RCP57,I agree. Need an update. I have been out of the loop for or 3 weeks. Home today.

  2594. #2594HDX2016-10-30 18:32

    Been busy moving things here and there Nothing as exciting as the lowbed trailer fires caycusian posts. We run water on our brakes and that kind of prevents that sort of thing from happening.

  2595. #2595HDX2016-10-30 18:43

    Fire season over, time to bring in the tankers. First two are 6-229 and 6-252.

  2596. #2596HDX2016-10-30 18:48

    Crown Z preload, now numbered CSP 12. Other truck unit 3685 was BCFP unit 6-222, I believe.

  2597. #2597RCP572016-10-30 18:50

    Thank you. More please sir.

  2598. #2598diamondtguy2016-10-30 20:11

    Nice stuff....The CZ truck has a interesting look with out the water tank/canopy on it.I think I can see the fuel tank still hiding behind the cab..

  2599. #2599dirty4fun2016-10-30 20:39

    Always good to see something moving and shaking down the road, out there. Thanks HDX

  2600. #2600HDX2016-10-30 21:38

    Here's a better shot of the fuel tank. It came off an HD Hayes. The HDX fuel tanks were part of the water tank itself and then they took the water tanks off to install the fire tanker.

  2601. #2601camptramp2016-10-31 22:59

    Next time I'm talking to Brian Dickson or Lance Lingren I'll ask about serial #'s and where Skagit Longline's came from .

  2602. #2602camptramp2016-10-31 23:09

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest HBO . Heavy Duty Mechanic standing on yarder running board , is the late and great Leif Johansen .

  2603. #2603camptramp2016-11-03 23:54

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest , HBO . 1st picture Leif Johansen , a long time BCFP Renfrew Div. / Timberwest HBO Heavy Duty Mechanic worked on Yarders and Loaders most of the time , but very knowledgeable about anything mechanical in a logging camp . Retired a little early , but a health issue took him from us way to soon . 2nd picture is one of the Longline Yarders rebuilt by Gordon River Shop crew members , Mechanic / Welder Mike Cross , Mechanic Mark Hartshorn , Mechanic West Weremi (another fellow worker and friend taken from us way to soon by health issues) , Welder Don Patrick , Welder Joe Duggan , Shop Foreman (later Master Mechanic) Lance Lingren .

  2604. #2604camptramp2016-11-03 23:57

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest , HBO , Don't know what happened there , but wrong pictures appeared .

  2605. #2605camptramp2016-11-04 00:00

    Brian Dickson , Timberwest , HBO .

  2606. #2606camptramp2016-11-06 00:02

    Oz Nelson , WFI Gordon River Camp , Dump Machine and Booming Grounds at Honeymoon Bay , 1976 .

  2607. #2607diamondtguy2016-12-14 00:07

    Got this e-mail today from a un-named person on the mainland who got it from a un-named person on the Island... Its funny and I am going to share.....Yes I changed a word or two Cheers A curious logger died one day and found himself waiting in the long line of judgement. As he stood there, he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the pearly gates into Heaven. Others though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning pit. But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile. Watching Satan do this several times, the loggers curiosity got the best of him. So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing. “Excuse me, Mr. Prince of Darkness,” he said. “I’m waiting in line for judgment, but I couldn’t help wondering why you are tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?” “Ah, those,” Satan said with a groan. “They’re all from Vancouver Island. They’re still too wet to burn.”

  2608. #2608Hank R2016-12-14 00:22

    You have such a great way with words. :drinkup

  2609. #2609camptramp2016-12-21 22:37

    Boulder Bill , CIP (Pacific Logging) Sooke Div. , WLW Contracting were the Graham Family , a logging family from around the Sooke area .

  2610. #2610camptramp2016-12-22 00:06

    Boulder Bill Pacific Logging Sooke Div. Bill refers to the Loader on a Rubber Tire carrier as an American . When I ran an American 599 Log Loader #561 Fall& Winter of 1978-79 at Pacific Logging Sooke Div. Larry Jay was running a Bucyrus-Erie 30-B(?) on a Skagit Rubber Tire Carrier . I believe this is the same Machine , check the Jacks on the Carrier they are like the ones used on Skagits or Washingtons . Also the Dominion Bridge Grapples , they are Three Legs very lightly built on the top end with heavy legs and very thin for Three Leg Grapples . Larry had already worn out one Log Loader with these Grapples and was working on his second Loader , If he "Spotted" a crack on them , he put them in his pick-up at quitting time , took them to the Shop and it was a priority to have them welded up and ready to go for morning . Larry was/is one of the top Grapple Operators I have watched loading Logs . He would be moveing that Loader into a Landing Dropping the Jacks , Swinging around to Grab the first log and talking on the Two-Way Radio at the same time . He averaged 12 Off Highway loads or more a day .

  2611. #2611camptramp2016-12-22 00:14

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , Div.

  2612. #2612Sigurd2016-12-22 16:32

    Merry christmas and a happy new year to you all, thanks for great pics and stories, really enjoy it! Sigurd

  2613. #2613camptramp2016-12-22 22:50

    Boulder Bill , CIP (Pacific Logging) , Sooke Div.

  2614. #2614camptramp2016-12-22 23:10

    Boulder Bill , Moore Logging . The two Pacific's in these pictures were the last new Off Highway Logging Truck's purchased by BCFP for Caycuse Div. . The P 16 with the duel exhaust stack ( V-12 Jimmy ) was BCFP #6-261 , Timberwest #40-131 . The P 16 with the single exhaust stack ( V-8 Cat ) was BCFP #6-262 , Timberwest #40-132 , these trucks were sold to Moore Logging when Timberwest switched over to Highway Logging Trucks .

  2615. #2615camptramp2016-12-22 23:12

    Boulder Bill , Moore Logging .

  2616. #2616camptramp2016-12-23 23:42

    Boulder Bill . In the 4th picture is a picture of the #654 , when Bill Neil pulled out of Butler Brother's at Sooke , Butlers needed some Logging Trucks to take his place . Among the Logging Trucks that fill that gap , The Graham's bought 2 or 3 Terex's and the "Super" Jim Brandon bought 1 . After Pacific Logging took over the Sooke Div. a short time later , the Terex Jim Brandon bought ended up in Pacific Logging's Logging Truck lineup . It was nick named the "Green Bean" it wasn't the fastest truck on the claim , it had 16 ft. bunks and 9 ft. stakes , but the driver Steve Snyder use to make 2 trips a day with a mountain of logs . Like Bill say's the truck brakes on those Terex's were ment to take serious . One morning Steve got loaded on top of a fairly steep hill . As soon as he started down , he knew something was wrong and got it stopped . It turned out the new "Grease Monkey" had over greased his trailer "S Cams" on the trailer brakes , getting grease on the trailer brake lining's . A Cat was used to snub Steve down off the hill on to leveler M/L road . When Steve was travelling down the M/L , Larry Jay asked him what he was going to do when he got to Camp . Steve's reply " That Grease Monkey better be wearing running shoes" . If all hell broke out in the Bar , Steve was one of those Guy's you wanted sitting on your side of the table . LOL

  2617. #2617camptramp2016-12-23 23:50

    Boulder Bill , CIP , Sooke Div. The late , well known and well respected in the Sooke and Victoria area , Logging Truck driver Pete Walker .

  2618. #2618camptramp2016-12-23 23:52

    Boulder Bill , Hayes Forest Service Renfrew Div.

  2619. #2619camptramp2016-12-23 23:57

    Boulder Bill , Island Pacific Logging , Mesachie Lake Yard , working for Teal Jones , HBO Div.

  2620. #2620camptramp2016-12-24 00:00

    Boulder Bill , Island Pcific Logging , Mesachie Lake Yard , working for Teal Jones HBO Div. View attachment 162886 View attachment 162887 View attachment 162888

  2621. #2621Blk prince2016-12-24 00:08

    camptramp,good to see you back in action. Much appreciated. Bp

  2622. #2622camptramp2016-12-24 00:35

    Thanks Bp Boulder Bill Island Pacific Logging , Mesachie Lake Yard , working for Teal Jones , HBO Div.

  2623. #2623camptramp2016-12-24 23:53

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest , HBO Div.

  2624. #2624camptramp2016-12-24 23:59

    Boulder Bill , Hayes Forest Service . Renfrew Div. 2nd picture is our old friend , the late Ed "Ike" Isacson at the wheel . RIP Ike , gone but not forgotten .

  2625. #2625camptramp2016-12-25 00:02

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , #40-96 P 16 Pacific preloader , Al Skene at the wheel .

  2626. #2626camptramp2016-12-25 00:05

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , #40-90 P 16 Pacific preloader , Phil St.Jhon at the wheel .

  2627. #2627camptramp2016-12-25 00:19

    Boulder Bill Timberwest HBO , #40-73 P 16 Pacific originally a Crown Z truck from up island Courtenay I believe . It arrived at Gordon River Shop on a Lowbed as a Cab & Chassis , was then rebuilt there . #40-106 P-16 Pacific was bought new by BCFP for their Silver River Div. #6-257 was transferred to BCFP Renfrew Div . Fall 1982 .

  2628. #2628camptramp2016-12-25 00:23

    Boulder Bill Timberwest HBO , #40-73 & #40-106 P 16 Pacific's were sold to SureSpan Structures when Timberwest HBO were switching to Highway Logging Trucks .

  2629. #2629camptramp2016-12-25 00:27

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO .

  2630. #2630camptramp2016-12-25 00:50

    Boulder Bill Timberwest , HBO

  2631. #2631camptramp2016-12-25 00:52

    Time to hit the fa_t sack and await for St. Nick . Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night .

  2632. #2632Blk prince2016-12-25 01:30

    and to you friend. Ho ho ho

  2633. #2633dirty4fun2016-12-25 04:37

    It is here and a Merry Christmas to all, and a joyous New Year too!

  2634. #2634camptramp2016-12-25 09:49

    Thanks guy's , it has the makings of a bright and glorious day . Minus 4 with snow on the ground , a rare white Christmas Day here on the West Coast . While we await the arrival of the Grandchildren . We'll open a couple more Pictures .Boulder BILL , Timberwest HBO .

  2635. #2635camptramp2016-12-25 10:30

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , This is one of three P 16 Pacific preloaders that were brought down from Beaver Cove Div. in the late 1990's to supplement the HBO fleet for a couple of months . One of them was driven by Larry Neil son of the late Log Hauling Contractor Bill Neil . Bill sent his last HDX Hayes to Beaver Cove in the mid 1970's when he pulled out of Butler Brothers at Sooke , with Larry driving it . one day Crown Z at Beaver Cove was short a Grapple Operator , so being as Larry had gained some experience on a Loader , offered to run the loader until they found a replacement . He never went back driving his Dads HDX , Bill had to find another driver.

  2636. #2636camptramp2016-12-25 10:35

    Boulder Bill Pacific Logging , Mesachie Lake . This P 16 Pacific was purchased in the late 1980's to replace a Terex they had previously used to pull their Lowbell with .This Lowbed Trailer may have been at Sooke Div. at one time .

  2637. #2637camptramp2016-12-25 10:39

    Boulder Bill . Timberwest HBO . Gordon River Shop in better times . Now a vacant lot growing Weed T View attachment 162961 rees and Scotch Broom .

  2638. #2638camptramp2016-12-25 11:59
  2639. #2639camptramp2016-12-30 00:26

    Boulder Bill , Island Pacific Logging , HBO Div.

  2640. #2640camptramp2016-12-30 00:33

    Boulder Bill , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake .

  2641. #2641camptramp2016-12-30 22:14

    Boulder Bill , Chemainus 2004 Richie Brothers Auction .

  2642. #2642camptramp2016-12-30 22:26

    Boulder Bill , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake .

  2643. #2643camptramp2016-12-30 22:28

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest , HBO .

  2644. #2644camptramp2016-12-30 22:31

    Boulder Bill , Hayes Forest Service .

  2645. #2645camptramp2016-12-30 22:33

    Boulder Bill , CIP , Forest Products , Sooke Div.

  2646. #2646camptramp2016-12-31 23:29

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest , HBO Div.

  2647. #2647camptramp2016-12-31 23:34

    Boulder Bill .

  2648. #2648camptramp2017-01-04 21:53

    Boulder Bill , CIP , Sooke Div.

  2649. #2649Knocker of rock2017-01-05 09:53

    Whats the axle configuration on the Mack? It looks to be just a two axle truck?

  2650. #2650HDX2017-01-05 12:53

    The HDX pulling the tilt deck trailer (posting2645) used for hauling around the deactivation hoe was used by Knute Laine while working for Hayes Forest.Truck was 6-242 from Caycuse That truck went through the famous Chemainus R/B auction and sold to a port alberni contractor that had it cut up. Only wanted to keep the trans and one diff for spare Rest went to Saratoga Ventures and became residue. The tilt deck trailer was also sold and is still kicking around

  2651. #2651camptramp2017-01-05 22:45

    Boulder Bill , Hayes Forest Service . HBO Operation .

  2652. #2652camptramp2017-01-10 22:42

    Boulder Bill . Fletcher Challenge , Caycuse Div.

  2653. #2653camptramp2017-01-14 00:57

    Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO . 1st picture John Elliott waiting to load driving a Western Star Logging Truck leased from Rich Bennett Trucking . 2nd picture is John Elliott getting ready to be loaded driving #41-114 Western Star owned by Timberwest .

  2654. #2654callingtheshop2017-01-16 14:09

    Toquart Area approx. September 2005. Coulson Group machine.

  2655. #2655dirty4fun2017-01-16 18:37

    When I lived west of Portland Oregon they were using helicopters to harvest Christmas trees. South around Salem they were using the big Sky cranes and bringing logs over I-5 and dropping them off in a field beside the interstate. Always enjoyable to watch.

  2656. #2656wclogger12017-01-18 00:04

    In the last picture, the guy in the white smock is John Souchuk, he was my pre app intructor at VTS, he was tgere or years. Saunders was great as they would bring trucks or components for the students to get some real hands on experience. Bib Ritchie

  2657. #2657callingtheshop2017-01-19 14:27

    Toquart Approximately July 2003. Rubber caulks, tree branch next to a bridge. Probably a Friday afternoon and a short career loggers resigning statement. And with that, I'm at the end of my photos and going to Yuma tomorrow morning. As Porky Pig said in Looney Tunes, "That's all folks". Thanks for the opportunity and to all who post, thank you, I really enjoy all postings.

  2658. #2658Blk prince2017-01-19 14:44

    Thank you for posting. Safe travels. If you see Mr Trump. Don't tell him you know me. Bp

  2659. #2659wornout wrench2017-01-19 17:52

    Have a good trip Mr T.

  2660. #2660Coops 832017-01-29 20:40

    I've been lurking on this forum for quite sometime now and decided it was time to make a small contribution of what photos I have from my ol man. He was a road builder in salmon inlet for weldwood/interfor at clowhom camp for 30 + years. Not van island but similar country. This photo an older looking tank drill. Photo dated 1982.

  2661. #2661Coops 832017-01-29 20:41

    A new tank drill. Clowhom 1982.

  2662. #2662Coops 832017-01-29 20:44

    A few drill and shoot photos for logging road construction. Clowhom 1995.

  2663. #2663Coops 832017-01-29 20:45

    A newer looking hitachi 400 grade hoe. clowhom 1993

  2664. #2664Coops 832017-01-29 21:06

    A cool photo of some typical logging road building equipment. Clowhom 1990s

  2665. #2665Coops 832017-01-29 21:10

    "Clowhom lake special" Hayes hdx and Pacific P16 pulling some descent loads. Clowhom 1990s

  2666. #2666Coops 832017-01-29 21:24

    If anyone else on this forum has any salmon/narrows inlet logging photos? Please post as i am very interested in viewing!

  2667. #2667HD Mech2017-01-29 22:23

    Nice pics! Thanks for posting them!

  2668. #2668diamondtguy2017-01-29 22:41

    Nice pics Thanks....North Van is kinda my home town...

  2669. #2669Coops 832017-01-30 21:10

    Thanks guys! It should actually say sechelt but I couldn't figure out how to edit my location. North van was my stomping grounds well I worked on the Hwy 1 project.

  2670. #2670Coops 832017-01-30 21:15

    A few borrowed pics from the office at work. Sunshine Coast, Fleetwood forest products. Dakota creek for 2nd photo. Year unknown. Sorry bout the poor quality they were scanned with an app on my I phone.

  2671. #2671camptramp2017-01-30 22:21

    So many Hills, Valleys, Island's and Inlets along the part of this Coast we call home . So much History , so many Logging Company's and Contractor's that have operated along it . Thank you to Coops 83 and all who share their pictures and stories about it .

  2672. #2672camptramp2017-01-30 22:54

    Boulder Bill , Island Pacific Logging , Mesachie Lake Yard .

  2673. #2673Coops 832017-01-31 20:28

    No thank you camp tramp! All your time and dedication to this forum has made for endless photos and stories for us all to enjoy and of course everyone else who contributes!

  2674. #2674camptramp2017-02-04 21:46

    Boulder Bill . Not sure who's these are so I'll post them here .

  2675. #267549pacific2017-02-05 01:56

    I belive the yutani loader is jack McKays loader. The rest of his equipment is parked behind it

  2676. #2676Greatwestcam2017-02-06 22:57

    Check out page 22 this thread, I have a few pics of Clowhom from around 1985. There were two old drillers in our bunk house, last name was Stromquest and Strochayne (spelling?) do you know of them?

  2677. #2677Coops 832017-02-06 23:19

    Awesome I'll check out those pics. Never herd those names before. There was two sides going that I know of back then it was my father Paul cooper and ken casey on the other side. I think there may have been other company's in there logging as well. great pics of forshner bros trucks!

  2678. #2678Coops 832017-02-06 23:24

    Did u work at clowhom back then great west?

  2679. #2679Greatwestcam2017-02-07 22:01

    Coops 83 Yes I drove for Forshner Bros, truck 114, was one of 6 that they picked up from Terrace area. Trevor and Scotty were a fun bunch to work with back then. I remember you dad running a Cat 235 when I was there.

  2680. #2680Coops 832017-02-09 22:19

    Those were the days great west! I noticed the date you said you worked there, that would have been a few years before my dad used to bring me to work with him. So u were probably rite on the drillers names.

  2681. #2681Coops 832017-02-09 22:31

    I imagine there were quite a few trucks running back then. I believe there all parked now a days. I herd the guy that bought them out lost the contract shortly after aquiring it. If u have any story's/info on the fleet back then I would like to here about it. You could always shoot me pm so we don't boar other viewers on the forum. I here my dad built some Farley steep grade that some guys would have refused to haul on. Although back in the 80s you guys may have still been creaming the lower wood.

  2682. #2682camptramp2017-02-14 22:02

    Bruce Wilson , Fletcher Challenge , Renfrew Div. #56-22 Chapman 1825 Log Loader . View attachment 165242 View attachment 165242

  2683. #2683camptramp2017-02-16 22:49

    Bruce Wilson , Fletcher Challenge , Renfrew Div. , #16-14 American Log Loader .

  2684. #2684camptramp2017-02-21 23:31

    Boulder Bill , An interesting truck parked at Pour Rich Bennett Truckings yard at Duncan .

  2685. #2685Bumpsteer2017-02-22 09:49

    Is it Klein? Not sure on the spelling.... Ed

  2686. #2686Bumpsteer2017-02-22 14:34

    For some reason I can't edit my post.... Pretty sure it's a Cline. Ed

  2687. #2687Hayesno12017-02-22 14:57

    It's a FWD - ex military truck. Cline truck is spelt with a C

  2688. #2688camptramp2017-02-22 22:54

    Bruce Wilson , Fletcher Challenge , Renfrew Div. 1st picture is Bill Gorenson Landing Bucker , Bill Howie Grapple Yarder Hook Tender , Stu Smith Grapple Yarder Operator , Bruce Wilson Loading Operator , Mike Ginns Landing Man . Standing in front of some nice Fir Logs , in an area across the "Burnt Bridge" along the Koksilah River . 2nd picture is Bruce Wilson running an American Log Loader , loading Fir logs on to Ron Peters Trucking #15 a P510S Pacific driven by Danny Peters son of the late Ron Peters . This Pacific had a charmed life as long as Danny drove it , he was a very good driver and took very good care of this truck while his family owned it .

  2689. #2689diamondtguy2017-02-22 23:10

    Looks good...That is one of the later trucks after we redesigned the smaller stuff to utilize the Pacific Cab...

  2690. #269049pacific2017-02-22 23:46

    I've been working on that old pacific a bit. One of the contractors in town here bought both of off him. They are in a real rough shape now hauling off highway in a camp

  2691. #2691camptramp2017-02-23 00:20

    Its a real shame the trucks got sold , Danny had them stored at his mothers place for several years , Danny's truck #15 always got a lot of TLC . #14 had a few years of rode hard and put in the barn wet & cold , but had a few years of TLC when Terry Steeves drove it before they got pushed out of Nanaimo Lakes . Both Ron Peters Trucking #14 & #15 were new Fall of 1985 .

  2692. #2692diamondtguy2017-02-23 01:31

    Nice to hear they have survived.The drawings are still available for all the Pacific manufactured parts..

  2693. #269349pacific2017-02-23 21:31

    I should be going into there camp next week to do some work on those to trucks I'll get some pictures of them

  2694. #2694camptramp2017-02-23 21:52

    Bruce Wilson , Timberwest , HBO . Bruce Wilson trying his hand at running a Log Processor .

  2695. #2695camptramp2017-02-23 21:56

    Bruce Wilson , Timberwest , HBO , What Bruce would rather be doing , running a Kobelco Hoe Chucking logs on a side hill .

  2696. #2696camptramp2017-02-24 23:51

    Boulder Bill . Timberwest , HBO .

  2697. #2697HDX2017-04-07 21:30

    Island Pacific Logging, Last load of old growth. Then moving the machines to Sarita Shop Yard to await an uncertain future All equipment is for sale.

  2698. #2698HDX2017-04-07 21:33
  2699. #2699HDX2017-04-07 21:34
  2700. #2700HDX2017-04-07 21:35
  2701. #2701Bumpsteer2017-04-07 21:42

    Sad...... Ed

  2702. #2702Blk prince2017-04-07 21:48

    As the saying goes"Was a hell of a ride while it lasted"

  2703. #2703HDX2017-04-07 21:57

    Yes it is Bumpsteer For the most part Western Forest Products (this is the company that IPL worked for) has left the majority of the crew sitting at home for the last 16 months and left a lot of good wood laying on the ground to rot. For the last 9 months a small crew of about 20 guys has been cleaning up whatever logs they could that were already felled. Now they will join the rest of the crew to also await an uncertain future. Word is that maybe by June or July something might happen !!!! Like the NDP said "Its a new day in the forest"

  2704. #2704HDX2017-04-07 22:02

    YUP Ian it WAS. Now western is going about their dirty business tearing the crew apart and destroying whatever they can. I looked at the stock market and saw what WFP shares are going for and just laughed. Look back and see what Crown Z and BCFP as well as M&B shares were when they were still part of this province

  2705. #2705Hank R2017-04-07 22:28

    Pretty bad when a few bean counters can kill a industry and wreck the lives of many great men.

  2706. #2706diamondtguy2017-04-07 23:05

    Sad...sounds like there is a lot of dead wood in the offices as well...Maybe that's where the axe should start swinging first...

  2707. #2707Bumpsteer2017-04-07 23:34

    Steve....at least H-17 is safe & sound. I went through our auto industry meltdown, hung tough, lived on 24 hours a week, things are better now, hope it comes around for all you guys out there. Ed

  2708. #2708camptramp2017-04-08 00:14

    In 1907 Albert Einstein predicted that technology would create a human race of idiots . In the early 1950's H.R. MacMillan was against the policies and manner that B.C. used to set up their Tree Farm License's , predicting at the time what is happening now . Both smart men who could see what the future held for us .

  2709. #2709HDX2017-04-08 00:47

    Yes Al , You guys are are right on the money. For some reason the working guys out there along with the entire "Alberni Region" are being held accountable for something they had nothing to do with, other than being ex M&B employees It is ONE MANS VENDETTA. Pure and simple!!! Maybe when a new government is elected they will wake up and do the right thing, TAKE THE TFL AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS. Google the TYEE NEWSPAPER in Campbell River and read some of the stuff they have featured lately. Start with Ben Parfitts articles. He did a great job of researching his facts.

  2710. #2710HDX2017-04-08 00:52

    Ed You are so right and there is not a day goes by I don't look down at her and smile. I will shake this bad issue off and get back to our HAPPY PLACE.

  2711. #2711dirty4fun2017-04-08 05:27

    Steve, It seems to be impossible for me to think that IPL, could be changed so much in such a short time. Such a great bunch of guy doing what the grew up doing and doing oh so well. All brought to an end by a few people (hard to not say what I think they should be called) WFP who seem to want to brake up IPL and probably anyone else who gets in their way to a larger profit. A true shame, how so few WFP and wreck the lives of so many great men, and tear apart IPL. Little did I know that my time spent there with you, and getting to drive H17 up the loading area would be the only chance I would have to do that. I will get out there again to see you and hopefully some of the people I met while there. Wishing all of you the best and hoping that the government steps up to the plate and pulls WFP timber contracts and that IPL rises up again!

  2712. #2712RCP572017-04-08 11:42
  2713. #2713RCP572017-04-08 11:51

    Logging and Commercial Fishing both dying by the same issues. The FEDs have let it happen on the water and the Province on the land but the story is the same. Big business owns all the rights and the working man is expected to haul in the quota for a very small fraction of the value. All the while the end consumer can hardly afford the product. I believe that no matter who is in command the polices will remain the same. We are too far into it now to turn around and too much is at stake for major players. It has ended my families business on the water and my career as a fisherman. I'm sad to see another industry I am fond of suffering the same state....

  2714. #2714HDX2017-04-08 12:17

    OK I will get right on this one Reg! I will get a couple of the guys and we will look really hard and see if we can find an empty building somewhere in town here, We can drag in an old pool table and get a garage sale coffee pot, couple old recliners and chairs and we are in business We will call it the "DEA" Club The Disgruntled Employees Association. What do you think???

  2715. #2715RCP572017-04-08 16:59

    Yes this sounds good to me. Disgruntled - Depressed, either or both. I always thought double D's were great but maybe in this case not so much...lol I'm about ready for another hangout anyway whether we have a "club" to go to or we just head out for some buffet. Always good for a laugh no matter what and who doesn't need that?

  2716. #2716dirty4fun2017-04-08 21:16

    Steve, let me know if you still need a coffee pot for the DEA, when I come out I have an extra one. Just gives me a gut ache hearing how big business is destroying the small businesses. Reg I know you told me about how bad things were in the fishing industry three years ago. I really think that the government doesn't want any small business people. Probably because the small guys don't and can't afford to line the government officials pockets, with green stuff like the big corporations do. We have the same thing here in the U S, some of the best bought and paid for elected people in the world. They vote their pay raises, free health care and a large retirement for life. They seem to be getting to the lowest form of life, a scum sucker!

  2717. #2717HDX2017-04-23 22:22

    And the IPL garage sale begins !!!!!

  2718. #2718HDX2017-04-23 22:24

    Blk Prince: Here's the pictures of the truck we were talking about on the video.

  2719. #2719HDX2017-04-23 22:24

    One more.

  2720. #2720HDX2017-04-23 22:26

    Scott: Here's the pictures you wanted.

  2721. #2721HDX2017-04-23 22:27

    More.

  2722. #2722HDX2017-04-23 22:27

    More.

  2723. #2723HDX2017-04-24 01:24

    This was H319 from Franklin Luke Weber got her new, then when he went onto the H94 Pacific P16 with the 3412 cat engine Freddy Ewart took her over. Hayes Forest bought her at the big Weyco Garage sale She stayed with us at Franklin till Hayes exited the TFL then she was sold to MtSicker They repowered her and painted her. The trailer is a home made one . The front half is BCFP Folding reach and the rear part is CrownZ

  2724. #2724camptramp2017-05-01 23:23

    Boulder Bill .

  2725. #2725Hank R2017-05-02 08:48

    the same truck last week just west of Parksville near Co-Op gas bar

  2726. #2726HDX2017-05-02 09:11

    There is or at least was two of them there Hank. Maybe the other one is working in the pit

  2727. #2727Hank R2017-05-02 20:01

    There were 2 of them 2 years ago but now there is just the one and it was parked on Tuesday and Thursday was in the pit parked close to the school buses.

  2728. #2728camptramp2017-05-06 00:53

    Boulder Bill , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake .

  2729. #2729camptramp2017-05-06 00:56

    Boulder Bill , Key Acre s , Mesachie Lake .

  2730. #2730HDX2017-05-17 22:44

    IPL Garage sale continues. First one was Y-24 grapple yarder moved from Cameron area of operation to Gordon River (Mesachie Lake). It is down there short term.

  2731. #2731HDX2017-05-17 22:45

    Close up of the build tag.

  2732. #2732HDX2017-05-17 22:46

    After we dropped off machine we encountered an old friend, BCFP driver Rob Norman. Lots of laughs.

  2733. #2733HDX2017-05-17 22:47

    Another grapple yarder being hauled to Sarita shop yard. Y-12 going from Cameron area of operation to Sarita.

  2734. #2734HDX2017-05-17 22:49

    This was the only tag we could find anywhere on the machine. Hope you can identify it from that.

  2735. #2735HDX2017-05-17 22:54

    Had this sweatshirt in a drawer for years. Dug it out and gave it to an old PCB mechanic.

  2736. #2736Blk prince2017-05-18 00:09

    Leaning on a fender and driving a highway truck does not quite do it

  2737. #2737camptramp2017-05-18 23:26

    Jim Backlund . Not sure about this picture , but it appears to be a Log loader on a Log Raft fishing for logs under water . At the old Hillcrest Lumber Co. Saw Mill at Mesachie Lake .

  2738. #2738TorkelH2017-05-25 11:24

    Cypress serial numbers don't so easy translate into the production list, but machines are more or less numbered from #1 to #54. First 15 is 7280A's, then 27 7280B's and last 13 7280C's. This machine is 7280B #41, and initial customer was Pacific Thinning in Powell River. The one in post 2735 is more a shot in the dark, but it may be a rebuilt 7280B (#37) and if so it was originally owned by Skeena Mills in Terrace. If plate is from U/C machine may also be originally Olsen Groups or R&N Loggings 7280C #52 but I thought that was parked in Campbell River. The one in post 2701 is 7280B #42 originally owned by Palmer Bay Logging in Campbell River.

  2739. #2739HDX2017-05-25 18:45

    Well Thanks a lot TorkelH, All Chinese to me unless it is a Hayes. Was not sure about any of the machine numbers. Just somewhat of a shot in the dark. Seems there are guy's around that track these and it is great, so anything I can take pictures of I will.

  2740. #2740HDX2017-05-25 19:01

    TorkelH I did not realize that the 7230 orange heel boom log loader that I hauled down to Sarita Yard was originally in fact one of our old Long Boom shovels from Franklin Her original number with M&B was L26. It was not till DBDLS went down to Sarita and took all the measurements on her that he told me, That was a Long Boom shovel !!!! I called Brian Schultz from BCFP's Caycuse Division and he confirmed that in fact they had bought her from Franklin and wanted to build a super snorkel type log loader out of her. Was hauled to Gordon River Division Shop and that is where the conversion happened. He did say that it was the best machine he ever ran Really loved her till they swung over to highway equipment, then he had to give her up. So many sad stories have come out of the "New day in the Forest" Will see if I got a couple pictures of her as a Long Boom and post them

  2741. #2741dirty4fun2017-05-26 05:11

    HDX, looking forward to seeing more pictures, and maybe you can share a few more details about the long boom. It would be nice to know how long the boom is and width of the machine, when you get a chance.

  2742. #2742TorkelH2017-05-26 19:21

    Steve, I didn't even look into the snorkels... Interesting about the 7230. My list says it was sold from Weyerhaeuser, Cameron to Teal Jones in 2005. Here's a picture and a video of it from Flora lake area 1997 paired with J17: :

  2743. #2743TorkelH2017-05-26 19:33

    For the two Madill snorkels 90030 was owned by Hayes F P, delivered May 1981 and 90055 was owned by GW Cox&sons Logging in Campbell River as owner, delivered in November 1986. Cannot say if they were original owners. Both on Madills 082 rubber tired carriers and with 8V71 as all 69 of the 075's.

  2744. #2744TorkelH2017-05-26 19:36

    Must show the video loaded with H155 to complete the session also then.. even ending up with H16. :

  2745. #2745TorkelH2017-05-26 19:53

    Here's a nice picture of another Franklin long boom loader, L161 just above camp in 1993. Yarder is J133.

  2746. #2746camptramp2017-05-26 23:00

    I'm not sure what year Timberwest bought the 7230 , but it was a couple of years before Teal Jones took over the TFL #46 which was 2004 .

  2747. #2747HDX2017-05-26 23:16

    That is great info because it tends to put everything in order. I don't know how things worked out because we were already long gone from Weyco. We were sold to Hayes Forest in Jan 2003. We were weyco from late 1999 till jan 2003 when HFS officially took us over and Weyco disappeared. I know HFS had absolutely no use for Long Boom Loader's so they were all gone. L26 and L219 (Gilbert and Bob Tassie) After M&B there was nobody else interested in them. I kind of grew up hauling from them .mostly in right of way settings. When there was a tough landing or no R/W or W/RW they would put them loading out of the long line yarder landings. I will see what I can come up with though. Just for your records H16 is actually H316 a franklin PreLoad HDX Was the first preload we got and the first one to be cut up. The 4 Cameron PreLoad trucks were disposed of by a new equipment supervisor that came from Kennedy Lake Division, Bob Rodgers. He sent H88 to the RB auction. H89 went to Shawnigan Division of M&B and Walter Miles made a Conventional truck out of her. She ended up being saved and is well looked after (Still has H89 on her) H90and H91 were cut up in the Franklin Shop yard by Hayes Forest. They also did not believe in PreLoad trucks As for H316 it was a thing that the drivers did for entertainment I guess. There is the odd picture of an H18 It was also H318. Then the film clip of an H17 up island with 121 rear ends in her No it was actually H37 one of the few HDX's M&B bought with 121 rear ends. Would have been a very nice truck back in the day. Specially with those rear ends. Sure would like to see pictures of her when new. OK TorkelH Will see what we can come up with Thanks for posting those pictures. Sure took me back listening to that engine working in the loader LOL

  2748. #2748TorkelH2017-05-27 04:09

    So maybe the shop painter didn't like making "3"'s? Would be happy to see more pictures of L26. Hope also it's ok for you that I upload your recent picture of her to an MMB group on FB? Some years ago I figured out FB had a lot better capabilities to store high quality pictures, but lacks (or it's not used) the systematic order from forums like this. What you posted on FB a few days ago is too easily drowned in new posts. In FB you reach many, many more people with the obvious benefits and disadvantages following it. I am happy this forum now has capabilities for uploading hi-res pictures. I visited Franklin and Sproat several times from 1993 to 2003. I remember well the sad climate change after Weyerhaeuser took over, no doubt this was another management with a complete different angle at workers wellbehaving, not alone but also a lot of rightful fear for what to come in the future.

  2749. #2749HDX2017-05-27 10:13

    TorkelH Yes, by all means. The more people that can see these pictures the better. As for the "3" number All you had to do was go see the camp body shop and they would give you any numbers you wanted. All seems so long ago and very different times. With the americanization of the BC Forest industry came change. Will look through my pictures and see what we have

  2750. #2750HDX2017-08-04 23:51

    Some hats:

  2751. #2751HDX2017-08-04 23:53

    Couple more:

  2752. #2752HDX2017-08-04 23:55

    Missed one:

  2753. #2753diamondtguy2017-08-05 01:17

    I stupidly gave away my Pacific hats probably 25 years ago.I don't remember the top hat with the maple leafs on it but I will assume its probably from the "Pacific Canadian" time in the mid to late 80's. I also gave away my Pacific Jacket to one of the drivers of the Allied concrete trucks.I haven't tried to find it but last time I saw Larry at Pacific he gave me the Pacific Jacket of one of their long time employees who sadly died at his desk a few years ago..It hangs in my home office now.. HDX...is there corporate Hayes hats ??? Just got my answer in the Hayes thread.......

  2754. #2754diamondtguy2017-08-05 01:36

    Got me thinking.....I have one of these.Cant be too many of these around and its even color matched to my truck...I really like those Hayes keychains (hint hint)

  2755. #2755camptramp2017-09-06 23:58

    Mike Cross , Timberwest HBO . Lookind down on the Gordon River Shop from TR 2 .

  2756. #2756camptramp2017-09-07 00:01

    Mike Cross Timberwest HBO . Mike on left making a point with Rob White , 3rd picture #41-121 Mikes ride when he drove highway log truck at HBO .

  2757. #2757camptramp2017-09-08 00:01

    Mike Cross , Timberwest HBO . Dumping Highway log truck loads at Shoal Island DLS .

  2758. #2758camptramp2017-09-08 00:04

    Mike Cross Timberwest HBO . Dumping Highway loads at Shoal Island DLS

  2759. #2759Doug19662017-09-08 10:02

    Is that a dog logger? Didn't think anybody still used them.

  2760. #2760camptramp2017-09-10 23:11

    Yes that's a Dog Logger , picture was taken around 2001 - 2004 , there were a couple around the Cowichan area at that time .

  2761. #2761ProGroomer2017-09-14 16:26

    found this last night, maybe worth a share here: ... http://www.timescolonist.com/busine...s-it-quits-after-three-generations-1.22660355

  2762. #2762Doug19662017-09-14 18:27

    Hi, thought that what it was, I do remember seeing them on the island in the recent past . One that I have already modeled as well

  2763. #2763camptramp2017-09-14 23:41

    Richard Neva had a tandem Kenworth with a "Jeep" hooked to a "Dog Logger" , he was known to haul above average volume loads .

  2764. #2764camptramp2017-09-15 00:04

    When the TFL's (Tree Farm License) tenure program on Crown Land was being created in the early 1950's ' , H.R. MacMillan a Registered Forester and the one of the founders of MacMillan Bloedel predicted this day would come . The Major Corporation's have a Monopoly in our Crown owned Forest's in British Columbia . The small stake holder's that were awarded TFL's in the 1950's , sold out their holdings to make a "Buck" or were swallowed up by the bigger Companies . The "Good Old Days" are long gone !

  2765. #2765John Shipp2017-09-15 02:01

    Can this "tenure" situation be reviewed, examined etc, it sounds like a done deal for all time, which sounds very crippling to BC (except for shareholders of wfp). I suppose no one has the energy to take on the fight. Are shares available to buy into WFP, that is some annual revenue they declared. As shareholders, you could go to the AGM and join in the back patting.

  2766. #2766DBDLS2017-09-15 11:27

    Not much more than penny stock.

  2767. #2767Doug19662017-09-15 16:27

    WOW must of been fun on the landing and mill yard watching him set it all up, sliding the jeep on and off and pulling the reach in and out!!

  2768. #2768HDX2017-10-17 19:30
  2769. #2769HDX2017-10-17 19:42

    The two rubber tired log loaders pictured in post 2723 are now all cut up down in Sarita Shop Yard, They along with a couple folding reach trailers are now just pieces of scrap. Even the stakes were butchered to ensure they would or could not be used again The "Push Bars" used to push the loads off the trucks were also cut up and the ramps that the load's would land on are all going into the bin's also. This will be my last witness to such destruction of logging equipment. I never even bothered to take pictures because I would not waste my time to do it. There is even a logging arch getting cut up. It is complete and would have still worked well behind a cat ,But alas it is too late!!!!

  2770. #2770Blk prince2017-10-17 20:49

    No longer Rest In Peace. Now Rest in Pieces

  2771. #2771HDX2017-10-18 00:50

    Too bad Ian. At least doing it this way ,There is no going back, One way street.

  2772. #2772diamondtguy2017-10-18 01:05

    Unbelieavable...Thats all I can think to say....

  2773. #2773dirty4fun2017-10-18 07:13

    It makes me sick to hear of such destruction I can't even begin to know this must make you feel HDX. I hope that one day the bean counters only have beans to eat!

  2774. #2774camptramp2017-11-06 22:08

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest , HBO Ernie checking out a new 075 Madill Super Snorkel #54-85 .

  2775. #2775camptramp2017-11-06 22:12

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest HBO , # 54-85 View from operator seat of a Madill 075 Super Snorkel .

  2776. #2776Hallback2017-11-06 22:15

    Why were none of these 075's ever sent South?

  2777. #2777Betelgeuse2017-11-07 23:07

    This barge is an extra in the TV show "Supernatural". It shows up in the background in one of the early seasons. Pretty sure it was Vancouver bc but could be in Naniamo. It was docked under a destinctive bridge.

  2778. #2778camptramp2017-11-07 23:42

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest HBO 1st picture #40-140 P 16 Pacific parked load at #54-85 Madill 075 Super Snorkel . 2nd picture Landing Bucker Garry Powell & Log Truck Driver Tom worth standing in front of #40-140 P 16 Pacific Log Truck . 3rd picture Landing Bucker Garry Powell & Loader Operator Ernie Harrison standing in front of #40-140 .

  2779. #2779camptramp2017-11-08 21:45

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest HBO , 1st picture Rex Weaver standing in front of #40-106 P 16 Log Truck 2nd picture Gerry Gergely on left standing in front of P 16 Pacific (Courtnay Div. truck on loan could be #40-84) 3rd picture The first log Processer at HBO .

  2780. #2780camptramp2017-11-10 23:28

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest HBO , Logging Truck Driver John Elliott & Landing Bucker Rob Norman getting log truck set up to load .

  2781. #2781Betelgeuse2017-11-13 13:31

    Are these locomotives and rail system still being used?

  2782. #2782Jumbo2017-11-13 13:38

    No, The announcement came November 7 2017 http://www.westernforest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/NR-Englewood-Train-November-2017-FINAL.pdf

  2783. #2783Hank R2017-11-13 13:55

    That sucks big time end of a era........

  2784. #2784Jumbo2017-11-13 14:04

    Yup, I have had the privilege of running my motor car on that line several times, I was hoping to go up island one more time but that chance has eluded me now.

  2785. #2785Betelgeuse2017-11-14 16:07

    Well this won't be happening anymore

  2786. #2786Betelgeuse2017-11-14 16:10

    Or is it just Englewood rail shutdown?

  2787. #2787Betelgeuse2017-11-15 13:46

    Seaspan doing what they do best pulling your (Vancouver Is) wood. Doing their monthly rounds. I always enjoy watching them go by while I am at work. That's Victoria in the background. I took the picture from top of Mt Dallas San Juan island.

  2788. #2788Hallback2017-11-15 21:26

    R.I.P. https://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-dive-team-looking-driver-submerged-logging-truck-near-387769/

  2789. #2789Betelgeuse2017-11-27 19:00

    Here is a peculiar sight. I am watching a log barge heading north up Georgia strait towards Naniamo empty never seen that before. I am presuming that it was on the westside of Vancouver island. I have always seen them loaded heading north. Come to think of it I have seen one heading south down Georgia strait loaded. Any ideas why one would head north empty and one south loaded?

  2790. #2790Blk prince2017-11-27 20:02

    Where about we’re you located? Several log barges dump in Ladysmith Harbour then head back north to top end of V Isl

  2791. #2791Betelgeuse2017-11-27 20:51

    I live on San Juan island Washington. I have been working on top of Mt Dallas for a few years over looking Georgia strait and Victoria. The barges that I am referring to are the Seaspan barges with the two cranes and ballast tanks. I am not sure if there are two barges with seaspan or they just switch up the tug. I do on occasion see a few different ones. Another one that I have seen is a regular barge with a crawler Crane and another barge with a shovel (for the Canadians log loader . I look across at Vancouver island and yearn to come explore. To bad the San Juan islands didn't become Canadian back in the day. In the state parks here on San Juan there is plenty of old stumps with multiple spring board notches from when they logged the island back in the 1800s.

  2792. #2792Blk prince2017-11-27 23:05

    The SAN Juan’s are great places. We do boat down that way. Hope more opinions would come forward as to what the barges are doing. I have a couple of ideas but hoping someone else would come onboard first. Bp

  2793. #2793camptramp2017-11-28 00:08

    Good chance the log barge was loading Export Logs to be shipped to a Mill , South of the Canada / USA border .

  2794. #2794Betelgeuse2017-11-28 09:44

    Thanks that makes sense. It is quite the sight watching all the Marine traffic in Georgia strait.

  2795. #2795Betelgeuse2017-11-28 13:09

    This is one of the barges that we see pass San juan.

  2796. #2796Betelgeuse2017-11-30 00:23

    Toba inlet is a very beautiful spot. I have been cruising up there and anchored right at the mouth of the river next to the old (looked like retired) booming area a whole bunch of old pilings. There was a landing and dock. I believe there was a boat at the dock if memory serves me right. Waked up a logging road a ways and found a 12inch Young block. Wish I explored it more. Beautiful area. Any activity up there these days?

  2797. #279749pacific2017-11-30 01:29

    Len burtons pictures there are of bear lake loggings float camp. I was working for them then. We moved out of woods lagoon down there for the summer. Bear lake logging use to be cougar inlet logging when bob lee was partnered with mill and timber. Bob bought out mill and timber and started bear lake logging with timber Johnson and David pope

  2798. #2798Born2clearcut2017-11-30 09:14

    Yes their is some activity in Toba . I have a buddy heading into camp in Toba today

  2799. #2799Betelgeuse2017-12-18 12:36

    Just looked out the window at work and saw a barge full of equipment heading south down Georgia strait just about to hit Cadboro bay by Victoria. Looks like two madill 044 and a few excavators which I would assume one is a tail hold machine. Looks like a seaspan tug unless another company is res and white. Any ideas where it's heading?

  2800. #2800caycusion2018-01-01 13:53
  2801. #2801caycusion2018-01-01 13:55
  2802. #2802Betelgeuse2018-01-05 13:10

    We see seaspan Royal in Georgia strait all the time. Cool to see the history of it.

  2803. #2803Betelgeuse2018-01-10 16:13

    What kind of Fir? The bark doesn’t look like Douglas Fir.

  2804. #2804camptramp2018-01-10 21:31

    That is Old Growth Douglas Fir .

  2805. #2805Hallback2018-01-11 23:00

    Yellow fir.

  2806. #2806camptramp2018-01-12 00:04

    Sap wood is yellow in colour , heart wood is redish .

  2807. #2807lg junior2018-01-12 09:36

    Yellow fir is what I remember the old timers calling fir like in the pictures. I had a forester tell me there was no such thing as yellow fir. Apparently he'd never seen it in a book or in person.

  2808. #2808camptramp2018-01-12 23:38

    All depends on what part of the country your from . It's always been called a "Fir" from where I worked on the coast of B.C. . Same tree "Douglas Fir" , just a term , a piece of steel cable with an "eye" in each end is a "Strap" in the woods , in the Ship Yards and on Construction jobs it's a "Sling" . Just different "Lingo" or terminology in different areas .

  2809. #2809Hallback2018-01-13 09:52

    Correct. They are both Douglas Fir. Here we call old growth fir Yellow Fir as they are aged to where they are solid yellow in color inside. Many of us that were fallers of old growth call second growth Red Fir as it still has a red heart to it.

  2810. #2810lg junior2018-01-13 09:53

    Very true about the terminology in different areas. Like cutters, fallers, fellers, sawyers, and my favorite for some of the newcomers dumpers. The guy I bucked behind said the yellow fir had no red heart. Out of all the old growth I've cut over the years only a small percentage were true yellow fir with no red heart.

  2811. #2811Betelgeuse2018-01-15 16:31

    Full barge loaded to gunnels heading north. Can barely see any freeboard. Got a Cat shovel hanging off the bow of the barge. Bucking the current.

  2812. #2812Blk prince2018-01-15 16:36

    I have a friend working for company Canadian Overseas. Been logging out of Jordan River. Done there for awhile. Moving up to Holberg Port Alice area. Could be their gear

  2813. #2813Betelgeuse2018-01-15 16:37

    Here comes Captian Bob well Seaspan Royal. I like Captain Bob though. She looks like a Bob

  2814. #2814Betelgeuse2018-02-06 11:51

    Here is a Vancouver Island built tall ship out Victoria the Pacific Grace. Built for and by the SALTS program out of Victoria late 90’s. I crewed on her as bosuns mate for a few trips. I was wondering if any of you guys recollect hauling Doug fir for the building of her? I can only imagine that most of the Fir is island Fir or local mainland Fir. Just curious. My sister took these pictures in port Townsend WA and got me thinking that you guys most likely had to have some part in the process. That’s a 300ton lift BIG!

  2815. #2815Betelgeuse2018-02-06 12:11

    One more pic and pic of their other tall ship that was built at the Vancouver EXPO mid 80’s the Pacific Swift

  2816. #2816camptramp2018-02-12 22:56

    Rob Norman Another mystery does anybody recognize this Northwest Log Loader and Madill Tower could be Hillcrest Lumber Mesachie Lake B.C.

  2817. #2817Born2clearcut2018-03-13 10:12

    Just when you thought you were in middle of nowhere

  2818. #2818robmcallan2018-03-14 00:18

    It almost looks like the hillside on spur 10 where the road use to connect to truck rd 7. i think around the 4km mark

  2819. #2819diamondtguy2018-07-08 21:24

    My friend just found this picture in a old album.He is the boy in the middle in red..He is pretty sure it was taken in Pt.Alice but has no other details.

  2820. #2820HDX2018-08-22 22:37

    Don't know if you know or not ,But we are now Island Forest Logging. We have got only 4 of us drivers now. Western wanted the big trucks all gone and that is what IPL did. However, after meeting with the new owner ,He agreed to getting some big trucks again. We started with nothing and are working our way back up again. We have 6 P16's Four we have hauling and two getting brought up to hauling standards. Three are from the IPL Herd and three from the Winter Harbor operation. Will post some pictures if there is interest...

  2821. #2821Bumpsteer2018-08-22 22:50

    Hell yes there's interest! Ed

  2822. #2822HD Mech2018-08-22 23:02

    I whole heartedly agree! Glad to hear your still able to use the big trucks Steve! You are probably getting a rash from driving a Pacific so much though!

  2823. #2823Welder Dave2018-08-22 23:09

    These trucks still running hauling huge loads is a testament to how good they really were!

  2824. #2824HDX2018-08-22 23:14

    HD Mech, It is a lot different getting use to them, But we are up to the challenge. As far as I am concerned, There will always be a place in the forest for the big trucks. We work for Shawn Nicholson and all I can say is he bought into the big truck program and we have been showing him the benefits they have to offer. Now he is looking for the right hauls to justify getting a couple more. It is funny to see what we are doing now compared to 20 years ago.. I don't have to elaborate Ralph because you know what I mean. OK back to posting pictures

  2825. #2825HDX2018-08-22 23:19

    Some of what you speak of Welder Dave

  2826. #2826HDX2018-08-22 23:27

    Along with the two Bikini Coral P16's (Now H01 and H06) we got an ex Crown Z Preload truck and lowbed. DiamondTguy told me her original unit number BUT I FORGOT IT!!

  2827. #2827DBDLS2018-08-22 23:28

    Good to know some big trucks are still hauling out there on the South Island.

  2828. #2828HDX2018-08-22 23:30
  2829. #2829HDX2018-08-22 23:34

    The Lowbed trailer is now being used and hauled By Goldie (Dave Golbeck) he is pulling it with his old IPL P16 with the SPR570 rear ends. It is all orange and also an ex CrownZ truck. ex IPL unit H119 and now Island Forest H04. The truck posted above that was hooked onto the bed when delivered is down at the Messachie Lake Shop being worked on and brought up to hauling standards.

  2830. #2830Plebeian2018-08-22 23:34

    What does that run over the scales at?

  2831. #2831HDX2018-08-22 23:37

    The other P16 finally out and this is her hauling her first load. We had to see what else was wrong and the only way to do that is to take her out and see what flies. This is H06

  2832. #2832HDX2018-08-22 23:41

    Shawn Nicholson wants to get them all painted, but we convinced him to hold off till we get all the bugs out of them first.. If nothing else ,It is refreshing to see a company that actually WANTS to paint their trucks.. Dark Blue and Black HHMMM?? And just when I was getting use to Bikini Coral

  2833. #2833diamondtguy2018-08-22 23:48

    HDX...your CZ preloader...delivered Nov 3 1980 for the Courtney Div....Original unit # 40-94......Cheers...

  2834. #2834HDX2018-08-23 00:06

    Plebeian, Although we do haul to the Sarita Dryland Sort, Not all the loads go over the scales. The load above was what we call "Camp Run" so was unloaded and laid out on the deck to be hand scaled. If we get a weigh load, They are weighed ,then lifted off and banded ,then dumped into the water. We are averaging about 125'000KG's when converted to Meter scale and we have to stick pretty close to 122,000KG's when going over the scales with pure loads.The P16 I am driving is 36,500 KG's empty and they want us to keep as close to 80,000 KG's for the load. When they unload us they will fill two trip bunks,band them and push them into the water and boomed up ,each with about 40 tons. This is so they can be lifted out of the water at either the mill or wherever they are sold to. Anything more than 40-42 tons and it creates a problem for the machine lifting them. If we are hauling a camp run load ,Then there is no limit to what the size and weight are. I have hauled with the H17 many loads that were on the 150 ton margin. Then you would add the weight of the truck and trailer, and that was 39,900KG's. So if we did go over the platform scales they would read 190,000KG's. I know it sounds like BS but that is the truth. I have had one load that the scales would not register.. Only that one though so I have no idea what it was other that it was HEAVY. There is a lot of these loads that have been hauled up this way by guys all over the place like this up here in BC. More so on the coast because of the timber here. Does this answer your question? Maybe DBDLS can jump in and fine tune it if need be.

  2835. #2835HDX2018-08-23 00:07

    Thanks a lot diamondtguy... Was told she is running now and maybe going to try out this week Hope all goes well

  2836. #2836HD Mech2018-08-23 00:30

    My vote is for Red and White! Thanks for posting all the pictures Steve! Nothing that interesting where I’m at at the moment. Or that big either.

  2837. #2837dirty4fun2018-08-23 06:01

    It sure is great to see the big trucks in any color back to hauling, and doing just what they were built for. Great pictures HDX thanks for sharing them with us, along with the great stories.

  2838. #2838Hallback2018-08-23 07:39

    Awesome news guys!!

  2839. #2839Born2clearcut2018-08-23 08:49

    Go big ! Or go home!

  2840. #2840Blk prince2018-08-23 09:34

    2nd vote for red and white

  2841. #2841Hank R2018-08-23 12:00

    Great pictures Steve, post more please.

  2842. #2842DBDLS2018-08-24 22:04

    Voting for Red and White as well, though I will say I always admired Bill Moore for painting his eqipment pink...I mean ‘bikini coral.’ My spouse says pink and purple go well together so I think I would paint my equipment pink with a wide purple stripe and white cabtops or cabs depending on the machine. I figure the forest industry started going downhill when the companies stopped using bush boxes and started whitewashing everything.

  2843. #2843HDX2018-08-26 22:49

    This was the H14 down at China Creek Dryland Sort... Cause was a flat tire on the trailer. fire was put out and truck and trailer were saved. Len Williams was driving her when this happened

  2844. #2844HDX2018-08-26 22:49

    We were still M&B back when this happened.. Was around 1998

  2845. #2845HDX2018-08-26 23:15

    The H14 when Gary had her, This was the last P16 Pacific PreLoad built. She would go on to be painted Yellow and White in the Hayes Forest Colors after they took her over. Then on to Island Pacific Logging, She is still being used as a lowbed truck for them down island now

  2846. #2846HDX2018-08-26 23:18

    This happened back in 1987. You can tell by all the "Happy Face" Michelin tires

  2847. #2847HDX2018-08-26 23:20

    Driver was OK and truck was rebuilt and went back to work again

  2848. #2848HDX2018-09-02 23:42
  2849. #2849HDX2018-09-02 23:46

    This happened in the Walbran Pass back in 1987. Driver was OK Just shook up very bad. Truck experienced a Shifter Failure. Electric Shift and it shorted out and went into neutral ON A STEEP HILL Driver did everything he could before leaving the cab

  2850. #2850HDX2018-09-02 23:47

    Very Sobering sight and one you don't want to see. Truck was rebuilt at International Dealer in Duncan BC and returned to work again

  2851. #2851HD Mech2018-09-03 01:12

    A very, very lucky fellow. Makes me cringe.

  2852. #2852Betelgeuse2018-09-12 23:51

    This huge log barge just passed the island going up Georgia strait and man oh man is that a massive crane with an equally if not more impressive grapple on it. The crane is setup on rails on port and starboard of the barge length wise so it can load stern first and role forward as it loads. Pretty impressive. Anybody have the low down on this log barge?

  2853. #2853Hayesno12018-09-20 15:52

    First 2 pictures are from WFP Gold River division. Nice blue sky. 3rd picture from Campbell River

  2854. #2854Hayesno12018-09-20 16:08

    Weyco trucks at Menzies Bay - picture 1 and 2 - see blue Hayes HDX in background of pic #1 Last 2 pics are from KW dealer in Campbell River

  2855. #2855Betelgeuse2018-09-26 15:24

    Just talking to a coworker about our view and what strait we are looking at and I have been totally backwards. I have been under the impression that Georgia Strait is between San Juan island and Vancouver Island but nope I have been wrong this whole time. It’s Haro Strait. So all of my post I labeled as Georgia strait are actually Haro Strait.

  2856. #28560752018-10-24 22:08

    Back about 35 years or so

  2857. #2857HD Mech2018-10-24 22:44

    Nic pics 075. Are those from Port McNeill?

  2858. #2858John C.2018-10-25 10:21

    So what is spruce used for anymore?

  2859. #2859Birken Vogt2018-10-25 12:10

    Well, from a construction perspective around here anyway they seem to use it for "white wood" trim and it seems like in other areas they may be using it as SPF general lumber but I would not know about that because locally doug fir is all that ever gets used for studs and such.

  2860. #2860John C.2018-10-25 20:51

    I've never seen spruce used as lumber. That's why I asked the question. Howard Hughes's Spruce Goose was made out of that material because it was the only material that wasn't being used for the war effort. I've seen plenty of those monster trees dropped and shipped off to Asia for who knows what. Trim would be a good use and maybe furniture. I just hate to think a monster tree like in the photo got sent to be ground up for pulp.

  2861. #2861JPV2018-10-25 21:19

    My wife's cousin is a home builder in South Carolina. I was just visiting with him last weekend and he said they really like spruce for framing because it is straight unlike whatever else they use down there. I was surprised to hear that, never heard of it being used for that before.

  2862. #2862Birken Vogt2018-10-25 21:32

    What I want to know is what ponderosa pine is used for. It grows like a weed around here, logs moving down the road all day but I wouldn't know where to buy it anywhere. All the lumber in the lumberyard is DF.

  2863. #28630752018-10-26 00:00

    Mahatta River

  2864. #28640752018-10-26 00:02

    Old growth Spruce is used for musical instruments lumber and plywood

  2865. #2865John C.2018-10-26 00:13

    I've seen some pine used for indoor paneling. The rest I've seen was for fire wood. I can understand plywood but all those mills in the northwest are gone now. Everything is engineered fiber board now. OSB and such. There are a couple of veneer mills left but the stuff gets shipped out of state. We have people stealing maple at times but so far I haven't heard of anyone interested in spruce for instruments.

  2866. #2866Tugger22018-10-26 10:06

    We often see SPF on studs here , must be spruce pine fir. Although i think the spruce is the smaller stuff from the interior. I did a couple of shifts in Cleagh Creek when it was first started in the mid 70 s ,Some of the crew there had a hard time keeping out of trouble at night because you could drive from Cleagh to the pub at Mahatta

  2867. #2867Hallback2018-11-02 13:16

    Old growth Spruce, Yellow for, Maple & Cedar have long been used as instrument wood.

  2868. #2868Born2clearcut2018-11-10 09:52

    Came across this sign mountain biking other day think it underestimates the problem lol

  2869. #2869Doug19662018-11-20 10:04

    Hi, putting this out there for a retired friend. To keep himself busy he cuts and sells firewood and his sort yard source has dried up. He is looking for truck loads of mainly fir delivered to his property in Langford. He is selling 60+ cords a year so you know he is serious. PM me if you have any information. Thanks. Doug.

  2870. #2870gg@m&b2018-11-20 23:23

    So did I for being the Supervisor

  2871. #2871Bumpsteer2018-11-21 21:45
  2872. #2872petepilot2018-11-21 22:57

    thanks for the pic i looked for 30 minutes for that one

  2873. #2873HD Mech2018-11-21 23:31

    I remember a similar load on H149. I took the truck from the parking area up to the shop to change a leaking brake pot. While I was there the chargehand noticed the rear axle on the trailer was actually bent! So after it was dumped the next day, the trailer went in the shop where we straightened the axle and fixed a few other things.

  2874. #2874petepilot2018-11-21 23:45

    after a few loads like that i`m not surprised

  2875. #2875John Shipp2018-11-22 02:06

    How do you unload such a high one back at the sort?! Knocking the pins out would be "exhilarating", pushing the top off surely would bust something, and it's out of reach for a wheeled loader?

  2876. #28760752018-11-24 11:04

    They use one of the juicers to unload if at a dry land or just dump it at the log dump

  2877. #2877Betelgeuse2018-12-04 16:17

    So having lunch and looking out over Haro Strait looking at Victoria watching a big barge loaded with equipment heading south down the strait. Looks like two grapple yarders, maybe a snorkel, and probably some trucks and other equipment. Anybody have the scoop on who and where their going?

  2878. #2878BTC2018-12-05 20:40

    If there were 3 grapple yarders 3 logging trucks 3-4Madill 3800’s and a bunch of misc equipment Then you saw Dyer Logging from Kelsey Bay. Heading to visit Steve in Sarita for the winter

  2879. #2879Betelgeuse2018-12-06 12:21

    Sweet thanks for the response. These were the first grapple yarders I’ve seen even though it was through the bino’s. Pretty cool. I assumed sarita shutdown when IPL shutdown or is sarita separate? I would love come over to the island with my boys and check out the logging world of BC. To bad the days of not needing a passport to cross the border is over none of us have them ☹️. Oh well I enjoy vicariously living it through the stories and picture everyone here post. Thanks to everyone.

  2880. #2880dirty4fun2018-12-06 20:25

    Get a Passport, you will never regret it once you go to the island. The worse thing is you are going to want to go back, again.

  2881. #2881Betelgeuse2018-12-06 21:03

    Oh I have been there many times. I sailed on the tall ship Pacific Grace out of Victoria for seven summers. Love it over there. My view from work is the south end of Vancouver island looking north. Great view of Victoria. I am on San Juan Island just barely on the US side of the border. Such a tease. I let my passport expire and can’t justify the cost when I got three little ones running around at home.

  2882. #2882Born2clearcut2019-04-06 09:44

    Reposted just because it's Kool! Back when the machine's were made out of wood and the men were made of steel!

  2883. #2883Len Burton2019-04-06 13:36

    Great pic I don't remember seeing this.

  2884. #2884dirty4fun2019-04-07 05:32

    While labor was cheap back when they strung up all that cable, what a lot of work. Sure had to be in the know to get it all laid out for everything to work. You really have to hand it to the old timers, they were made of steel, for sure!

  2885. #2885diamondtguy2019-06-26 20:50

    Does anyone know if there is a truck show in Alberni this year...Looking to bring the Grizzly over to the Island.Would like to do some visiting and hit a show or two..Duncan show ???

  2886. #2886RCP572019-06-26 23:28

    The Duncan show is July 13-14. A bunch of us will be there with toys messing around in the dirt. I’m not sure of the dates for the Alberni show but it is definitely happening. It’s usually Labor Day weekend I think.

  2887. #2887diamondtguy2019-06-27 00:16

    Thanks Reg...I promised some Pacific guys I would bring the Grizzly to the Cache Creek show and that is July 26-28.I most certainly would like to bring the truck to the Alberni show.Duncan show is a possibility as well.I will see how it unfolds.I have a couple of Mustang shows to do as well but this year the Grizzly gets the priority if any of the dates clash...

  2888. #288849pacific2019-06-27 01:52

    The show in Port Alberni is on September long weekend

  2889. #2889RCP572019-06-27 20:01

    Sounds like a busy summer! That would be great if you can make it over here. If you could only make one event, the one in Port Alberni would probably make for a more entertaining weekend given the other sights and people to see away from the show. I missed that show last year and likely will again this year as well but I can’t be in two places at once I guess.lol

  2890. #2890diamondtguy2019-06-27 20:27

    Reg...You are correct.If I can only get to the Island for one show it will be Alberni.Sad you cant make it but I can always listen to your voice on you-tube (ha ha)

  2891. #2891RCP572019-06-27 21:18

    Hahaha.

  2892. #2892Betelgeuse2019-07-10 09:29

    https://www.facebook.com/1790149321287567/posts/2122193604749802?s=503450782&v=e&sfns=mo Found this video on Facebook of one of the Seaspan barges unloading it shows a few different perspectives of the unloading process.

  2893. #2893diamondtguy2019-08-09 23:44

    Anybody have some current info on the Alberni Truck show this year.....Cant find anything on the web about it....

  2894. #2894RCP572019-08-10 00:39

    It’s usually Labor Day weekend.

  2895. #2895diamondtguy2019-08-10 01:49

    Is it a yearly thing ????

  2896. #2896RCP572019-08-10 10:38

    Yes it is.

  2897. #2897camptramp2020-02-14 23:12

    Our friend Dave "Whiskey" Whiskin a long time Off Highway & Highway Log Truck Driver in the Lake Cowichan area has loaned us his pictures . The first pictures were taken during his years at WFI Gordon River Camp . 1st picture is Jan 10,1980 Honeymoon Bay Sawmill . The next pictures were taken March 1979 at Gordon River Camp , Dave in his youth driving a Pacific Off Highway preloader .

  2898. #2898camptramp2020-02-14 23:14

    Dave Whiskin Collection

  2899. #2899camptramp2020-02-15 22:36

    Dave Whiskin Collection Western Forest Industries (WFI) Gordon River Camp 1st picture Derek Whiskin in Daves log truck . 2nd picture is Derek Whiskin in the cab of an American 7220 log loader with operator Hugh Bradshaw . 3rd picture is Woods Foreman Jim Kerrone in cab of log truck checking something out . 4th picture is long time log truck driver Bill Nicol , Bill is one of the best log truck drivers I have shared the road with , always made "good time" , took really good care of his truck , hardly turned a pebble on a steep loose hill and his tire wear was almost unbelievable . April / May 1980

  2900. #2900Hayesno12020-02-16 02:01

    Thanks to Dave "Whiskey" Whiskin and Camptramp for sharing pictures and info.

  2901. #29010752020-02-16 21:25

    I worked with Huey in Jeune Landing until he retired , His son and grand daughter still work there

  2902. #2902camptramp2020-02-16 23:33

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon R. 1st picture 1975 2nd picture 1979 3rd picture 1978 141 Madill Yarder operater Bill Chester . 4 picture 1980 Bill Nicol, Jim Kerrone , Ken Ramwell , B. Aldred

  2903. #2903camptramp2020-02-17 23:05

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River Camp 1st picture Madill Tension Skidder 2 picture 7220 American on lowbed crossing Rainer Creek 3rd & 4th pictures #1259 American log loa der on lowbed . 1980

  2904. #2904camptramp2020-02-17 23:09

    Dave Whiskin Collection #1259 American 7220 Log Loader on Lowbed . 1980

  2905. #2905camptramp2020-02-18 22:44

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River Camp 1980 1st picture Bill Nicol , Ken Ramwell , R. Giles , Jim Kerrone 2nd picture J. Kerrone Woods Foreman , Bill Nicol Lowbed Driver , K. Ramwell , R. Giles , Huey Bradshaw Loader Operator . 4th picture Bill Nicol , R.Wear

  2906. #2906camptramp2020-02-19 22:43

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River 1st picture Bill Nicol in #143 Log Loader 2nd & 3rd picture's Bill Nicol in #2141 Lowbed 4th picture Ken Ramwell , B Aldred , Jim Kerrone , B Forge in #161 Log Loader . 1980

  2907. #2907camptramp2020-02-19 22:51

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River 1st picture Ken Ramwell , Bill Nicol driving Lowbed 2nd picture Rainer Creek Bridge 3rd & 4th pictures cat pushing #161 Log Loader to landing to load from #1105 Madill Tower 1980 .

  2908. #2908camptramp2020-02-20 22:45

    Dave Whiskin WFI Gordon River Camp 1st picture view of E&N load out for loading rail cars from Lake Cowichan from North Shore Rd. 2nd picture WFI Honeymoon Bay Booming Grounds . 3rd picture "A" Frame for lift off log dump WFI Honeymoon Bay . 4th picture Boom Boat at WFI Honeymoon Bay log dump . 1979

  2909. #2909camptramp2020-02-20 22:58

    Dave Whiskin WFI Gordon River 1st picture #213 Dave Whiskin's loaded log truck 1975 . 2nd picture Albert Baker & Sam Brown standing in front of loaded truck at Honeymoon Bay Log Dump . 3rd picture load of logs being dumped from #213 Pacific Log Truck at Honeymoon Bay log dump . 4th picture #2141 Kenworth (Bill Nicol) & #213 Pacific (Dave Whiskin) at Honeymoon Bay log dump , trailers loaded ready to head back to the "Woods" 1978 .

  2910. #2910Mother Deuce2020-02-21 03:51

    That first image really puts the "high" into high lead!

  2911. #2911Len Burton2020-02-21 13:53
  2912. #2912Len Burton2020-02-21 13:53

    Great pictures !!!!!!

  2913. #2913camptramp2020-02-21 22:06

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River #213 Pacific leaving the Gordon R. shop with a rebuild and fresh coat of paint .June 1977 .

  2914. #2914camptramp2020-02-21 22:10

    Dave Whiskin Collection WFI Gordon River. Bill Nlcol on #1241 being unloaded at Honeymoon Bay Dry Land Sort. June 1980 .

  2915. #2915Hayesno12020-02-22 03:25

    Great pictures. To me it looks like a P10 model from the 60’s or early 70’s. I can’t read the model number below Pacific name plate on hood. Please diamondguy - can you add further information. It seems to me it got a straigth frame.

  2916. #2916diamondtguy2020-02-22 12:38

    It looks to me to be a P-10...Both the Pacific and the Kenworth are set up to pull pre loader trailers.I have never seen that before...Nice pics.

  2917. #2917DBDLS2020-02-23 00:54

    That upright log or pipe under the left front bunk is interesting. Presumably to save the 5th wheel, etc. assembly from being abused at the sort.

  2918. #2918camptramp2020-02-23 22:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Loggers Poet Gord Barney at his "Day Job" moving a Madill 009 track mount Tower on McKay Creek over looking Cowichan Lake .

  2919. #2919camptramp2020-02-23 23:01

    Dave Whiskin Collection A picture taken from an airplane over Honeymoon Bay looking across Cowichan Lake at Youbou and Cottonwood Creek valley .

  2920. #2920camptramp2020-02-28 23:33

    Dave Whiskin Collectiop Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture is the #40-135 (BCFP #6-243) a Renfrew Div. HDX Hayes 2nd picture is Dispatcher Joe Wipplinger at Caycuse Dispatch Shack 1989 3rd picture is Ladies Day at Caycuse Div. 1988 4th picture is the Lowbed #6-249 with #9-27 on board 1988 .

  2921. #2921camptramp2020-02-28 23:40

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. !st , 2nd , 3rd pictures a view of Lake Cowichan from K-8-E 4th picture #27-35 Grapple Yarder ,#320 log loader , #6-228 Log Truck . K-8-E , 1989

  2922. #2922camptramp2020-02-29 23:19

    Dave Whiskin Collection , Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture L-#5 Log loader Brian Schultz operator , #6-228 HDX Hayes log truck , Dennis Cronin Landing Man (exstreme) Archie Doucette Landing Bucker .1989 2nd picture Another enthusiastic Fletcher Challenge worker . 3rd & 4th pictures #6-251 HDX Hayes Log Truck and #6-220 HDX Hayes Line Horse on Nitinat M/L 1989 .

  2923. #2923camptramp2020-02-29 23:38

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture #27-8 009 Madill steel tower on self propelled rubber tire carrier (This Madill was new at Nekite River Div.) #313 TL-6 Track Loader on Br. S9 2nd picture #27-44 Cypress 72-80 Grapple Yarder , #16-8 American 72-20 Log Loader .1989 3rd & 4th Pictures Mike Patton Operator & Kevin Worthington Landing Man with a TL 6 that was purchased used for Caycuse Div. 1990

  2924. #2924camptramp2020-03-01 23:10

    DAVE Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Pro Logging Protest in front of Parliament Building's Victoria B.C. June 15,1990

  2925. #2925camptramp2020-03-01 23:25

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture empty meeting loaded (PCB) Pat Carson Bulldozing truck on Carmanah M/L 2nd picture empty meeting Fletcher Challenge #40-262 loaded on Rosander M/L 3rd picture looking East from along Nitinat Lake from Rosander M/L 4th picture looking East down the Rosander Hill along Nitinat Lake .1990

  2926. #2926camptramp2020-03-02 22:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st & 2nd pictures #6-261 P 16 Paciifc driven by the late Jack Cotterill on the Caycuse Summit . 3rd picture #6-245 HDX Hayes loaded off C-5 4th picture #6-252 HDX Hayes loaded at C-5 . 1990

  2927. #2927camptramp2020-03-02 22:36

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Div. 1st & 2nd pictures #6-246 HDX Hayes loaded on C5 . 1990 3rd picture Dave Whiskin standing beside #6-249 HDX Hayes after being repowered with twin turbo V 12 Detroit & fresh coat of paint at Caycuse Shop . 1989 4th picture #6-249 being unloaded at Caycuse DLS by a Wagoner Log Stacker operated by Nick Soyhe 1990

  2928. #2928Tugger22020-03-02 22:42

    Great pictures! looks like the Wagner might have grunted a bit on those loads. We had 980 b s were i worked and had to pushoff .What a contrast to todays logging even if the 1990s seem like yesterday.

  2929. #2929camptramp2020-03-02 23:07

    I don't think that Stacker could unload an off highway logging truck with one "bite" , It usually took two or three "Bites"

  2930. #2930Tugger22020-03-02 23:49

    Your right, it just looked like he was set for a whole mouthful .

  2931. #2931camptramp2020-03-03 22:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture Sept. 11,1989 First load of logs on #6-249 HDX Hayes after rebuild #16-8 American Log Loader on M-10-K 2nd picture #6-249 HDX Hayes hooked to #27-17 Madill Slack Line Tower parked in down town Caycuse 1990 3rd picture #27-37 Grapple Yarder McClure M-10-E 1988 4th picture #27-44 7280 Cypress Grapple Yarder C-5-A

  2932. #2932camptramp2020-03-03 22:45

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture #6-249 & #6-246 HDX Hayes Trucks Dave Whiskin standing 2nd picture #6-249 & #6-246 HDX Hayes Walter Cooke standng . 3rd picture #16-24 Cypress Hydraulic Log Loader Richard Zboyoski operator . Richard was a very interesting fellow . He was raised in Caycuse went to work at a young age , when he retired (which was mandatory at 65 , at the time) at 65 , he worked into his 65th year long enough to leave with 50 years seniority . He had a very dry sense of humor , one time the dispatcher asked him late in the day if he had a late load for me . Richard responded with , sure , but tell him to bring his blankets , in other words I'll start loading him , but the truck will stay over night .

  2933. #2933camptramp2020-03-04 22:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1990 Woods Foreman Bob Norcross on the "Ground" Richard Zboyoshi Operator on #56-32 Cypress 1825 Hydraulic log loader unloading it off Lowbed . Note number on loader is #54-85 when Fletcher Challenge took over British Columbia Forest Products it had previously taken over CZ . As a result the machine numbers were changed on BCFP machines to correspond with the CZ system . The first #56 was for "Line Loaders" so #54-85 was the wrong number on this machine , it was changed to #56-32 . The number #54-85 was issued to a Madill Super Snorkel .

  2934. #2934camptramp2020-03-04 23:11

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture D Branch 1990 2nd picture Barney Edgar Cat Skinner on #9-26 Cat , Barney was a talented operator , he also operated Excavators on the Grade crew . When log Processers were introduced to the Div. , he didn't take long to have one mastered . 3rd picture #16-72 7220 American Log Loader . 4th picture Landing Bucker Ron Pappenburger hard at work .

  2935. #2935Birken Vogt2020-03-05 00:54

    I've never seen a cat that big set up to skid logs. What is the story on that?

  2936. #2936Welder Dave2020-03-05 02:17

    Somebody spent a looong time hardfacing the push arms!

  2937. #2937Tugger22020-03-05 08:51

    Where i worked a cat like that would cleanup small patches of right of way or blowdown . Sometimes yarding special wood for a bridge or or maybe a new snorkel for the loader. No holds barred in those days ,get wood however you could.

  2938. #2938camptramp2020-03-05 22:03

    Up until the late 1940's early 1950's most Logging rail grade and road grade were built by "Cable Grade Shovels" , as the "Bulldozer" was developed , it became more popular for use in building Logging road grade . By the mid 1950's Cats were the preferred machine for building Logging road grade . By the early 1960's Cable Grade Shovels were fazed out . This statement refers to the Port Renfrew area I grew up in . There is terrain on the West Coast of British Columbia that Grade Shovels out perform Cats , I know of Grade Shovels building Logging roads up until the late 1970's . As the Hydraulic Excavator was prefected , it replaced both Cats and Grade Shovels for building logging roads . The "Arch built on the back of the Cat showed up in the late 1950's or early 1960's , it was great for "Cat Logging" or for pulling logs off the right away before the Grade was built . The Cat in the picture was probably kept around to spread ballast on new Logging roads or to do chores like cleaning debris off roads and landings .

  2939. #2939camptramp2020-03-05 22:18

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. !990 1st #40-128 HDX Hayes driven by Oz Nelson entering Caycuse Dryland Sort . 2nd picture Louis Patenaude unloading Highway Logging Truck with Wagner Stacker . 3rd picture Neal Sanders sorting logs with Chapman 1825 Hydraulic Log Loader . 4th picture Rick Perry moveing sorted logs to bund ler with Cat 980 Stacker .

  2940. #2940camptramp2020-03-05 22:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Louis Patenaude unloading off highway Logging Truck . at Caycuse DLS .

  2941. #2941petepilot2020-03-05 22:31

    Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Louis Patenaude unloading off highway Logging Truck . at Caycuse DLS . View attachment 212151 [/QUOTE] makes his steer tires look light for sure ​

  2942. #2942camptramp2020-03-05 22:32

    Dave Whiskin Colection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1990 1st picture #54-66 American 7220 Log Loader on Branch C-5-a 2nd picture looking up R Branch 3rd picture Danny Boy carriage on Skyline of Slackline Steel Tower 4th picture Caycuse Camp office 1991

  2943. #2943camptramp2020-03-05 22:48

    Dave Whiskin Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture 1990 looking West from R Branch 2nd picture looking North from R Branch . 3rd picture Brain Schultz on #54-66 American 7220 Log Loader loading #40-131 P16 Pacific Logging Truck driven by the late great Jack Cotteril ( If you could keep up with Jack , you were going to dam fast ) Landing Bucker Archie Doucette standing by truck . Sorry 1st picture turned over

  2944. #2944camptramp2020-03-06 23:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest Honeymoon Bay (HBO) Div. Canadian Aircrane flying logs in to Landing at Old Harris Creek Camp site 1994

  2945. #2945camptramp2020-03-06 23:22

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO div 1994

  2946. #2946camptramp2020-03-06 23:45

    Dave Whiskin Cpllection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture 1990 #27-17 Madill Slackline Tower hooked to #6-249 HDX Hayes on Glad Lake M/L (spur 9) L-R Gyula Dobozi , Sandy Szaszik (Line Horse Operator) ,Rick Anderws (Bull Gang) , Dave Secord , Ron Mills , Wes McKechnie (Yarding Engineer) , Dennis Fothergill Bill Norcross Fred Usselman (Hook Tender) 2nd & 3rd Pictures #40-126 HDX Hayes pulling Lowbed with #54-66 American Log Loader on board , off Branch WH-1 1991

  2947. #2947camptramp2020-03-06 23:52

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1994 A full length tree slid down across a setting of Fallen & Bucked Timber to do this .

  2948. #2948camptramp2020-03-06 23:55

    Dave Whiskin Collection 1994

  2949. #2949Welder Dave2020-03-07 02:36

    That's right up there with a McDonalds straw going through a 2x4 in the black Friday tornado that went through Edmonton in 1987.

  2950. #2950HD Mech2020-03-09 00:52

    Holy crap!

  2951. #2951camptramp2020-03-16 23:43

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Skagit Telescoping Tower rigged up for Long Lining , Braden Cr. April 1999 .

  2952. #2952camptramp2020-03-16 23:45

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. April 1999

  2953. #2953Tugger22020-03-16 23:46

    Looks like a loggers dream, a turn like that coming in clear of the ground.

  2954. #2954camptramp2020-03-16 23:54

    Dave Whisken Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. 2nd picture is an American 7220 Tmberwest number is #54-75 , this log loader was new at BCFP Silver River Div. mid 1970's #16-15 , was moved to BCFP Renvfrew Div when Silver River Div. closed down 1981 .

  2955. #2955Hallback2020-03-17 09:20

    Awesome photos Al! Any more photos of the Skagit?

  2956. #2956camptramp2020-03-17 23:04

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 1999 Braden Cr. The late Wes Mckechnie long time career Yarding Operator who grew up and started his working Career at Caycuse . Great guy to work with , easy going and always did his best whether it was pulling levers on a Mini Tower , a High Lead tower , Slackline Tower or Long Line Tower .

  2957. #2957camptramp2020-03-17 23:16

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. 1999 2nd picture Landing Bucker Dave Jansen 3rd picture Landing Man Mike Kershaw .

  2958. #2958camptramp2020-03-17 23:30

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. 1999 2nd picture Hooker Rick Andrews standing behind Loader Operator Garnet Margettish 3rd picture Dave Whiskin standing on Loader .

  2959. #2959camptramp2020-03-17 23:44

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. !999 #54-75 American 7220 Log Loader loading #40-124 HDX Hayes Logging Truck . 1st picture Dave Jansen standing on loader (must be a running repair or minor adjustment , I see an open tool box by Dave) 2nd picture Gentleman Garnet Margettish out of cab beside tool box . Another former BCFP Caycuse employee that grew up at Caycuse and became a career Loading Operator .

  2960. #2960Hallback2020-03-18 14:05

    Wes looked like a man that truly loved his job. Rest in peace Wes.

  2961. #2961Hallback2020-03-18 14:06

    Just curious why you guys up north don't use standing Skyline yarders and long span systems? Sure cuts down on road building cost!

  2962. #2962wornout wrench2020-03-18 21:24

    Good question. I know about 35 years ago it was all the rage to get a big ole Skagit or Madil and a couple of sky cars. Cut down on road building, full suspension, all kinds of reasoning. The out fit I was working for bought an 046, mounted it on a rubber tired carrier. I was quite involved with it but I left that company, went to a place where they had no interest in logging that way. When I came back the Vancouver Island 2 years later, everybody just seemed to have quit using them. To expensive I heard. I never really got a decent answer. Pretty much every logging company I have worked for all run grapple yarders, they might have 1 tower, maybe. Hoe chuck (shovel log) and skidder where you can, Grapple yarder where the chuckers can't reach and some heli. Bit of Supersnorkle here and there. But mostly hoe chuck and Grapple yarder. Hoe chucker = 1 man Grapple yarder = 2 or 3 men Highlead is what 5 guys plus you need a loader right there How many guys on a skyline crew including the riggers setting up the next road, 8?

  2963. #2963camptramp2020-03-18 23:34

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Braden Cr. 1999 #40-124 HDX Hayes Logging Truck 1st picture friend and Photographer Kathleen Fitzpatrick and Dave Whiskin 2nd picture Kathleen Fitzpatrick 3rd & 4th Picture Dave Whisken

  2964. #2964camptramp2020-03-18 23:40

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-124 HDX Hayes logging truck crossing Lower Gordon River Bridge . Dave Whiskin truck driver Photo's taken by Kathleen Fitzpatrick .

  2965. #2965camptramp2020-03-18 23:44

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 #40-124 HDX Hayes crossing Lower Gordon River Bridge Truck Driver Dave Whiskin photo's taken by Kathleen Fitzpatric .

  2966. #2966Hallback2020-03-19 18:11

    We run a seven-man crew that is including the loader operator and the processor operator. We do not run a chaser as we have electronic chokers. The hook tender and one rigging guy makes whatever coils they are going to need in the morning while the other guys are out there sending the First turns in. It seems to work very well and they get a lot of logs doing it. One reason is we routinely are yarding 1000 to 2,000 feet where a grapple yarder is done by a thousand feet.

  2967. #2967wornout wrench2020-03-19 18:43

    During my time away from the island, MB at Kelsey Bay had a big Skagit running. I'm not a Skagit guy so I might have the numbers wrong here. I think it was a BU199, does that sound right. Big thing. Now don't quote me on this, and maybe one of the Kelsey guys that were there can straighten me out, but I believe they had 8000 feet of skyline on it. Not logging out that far, but to get the span in. It was some crazy number like that. Maybe it was 5000, IDK just it was a crazy number. Used helicopters to run the strawline out. I missed all of it, by the time I got back the experiment was over and everything was being sold off.

  2968. #2968Hallback2020-03-19 21:34

    A Skagit BU-199 is the largest production yarder Skagit ever built & MB had one. Wayne Stone has two of them and is logging with one of them down on the Oregon coast right now. They were capable of hanging out eight thousand feet (with skyline extensions of course) and when I worked for Fred Moe we routinely hung out six thousand feet plus.

  2969. #2969GYYARDEROP2020-03-19 21:35

    First picture is in George creek 1980 First 7280 ever built I&J Logging.. I was chasing ,second loading.

  2970. #2970camptramp2020-03-19 23:52

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Dave Whiskin driving #40-124 HDX Hayes waiting to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS 2nd 3rd & 4th pictures Dave Whiskin driving #40-124 loading trailer on truck at DLS trailer reload .

  2971. #2971camptramp2020-03-20 00:00

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 #40-124 HDX Hayes 1st picture Loaded at Landing 2nd picture Kathleen Fitzpatrick standing under load 3rd picture #40-124 leaving landing starting to go around a switch back .

  2972. #2972camptramp2020-03-20 00:14

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Meeting an empty #40-127 HDX Hayes preloader heading out to the woods 2nd picture looking down hill at a bridge on haul road below (Note cable laying on side of road where log trucks are passing over it , a flat tire waiting to happen , also handy for Road Grader to damage it) 3rd picture a bridge on the Edinburgh M/L crossing the Gordon River 4th picture a long has fallen off load and hung up in cinch cable .

  2973. #2973petepilot2020-03-20 00:46

    how did the driver remedy that log off situation?

  2974. #2974dirty4fun2020-03-20 04:56

    Hallback, what was the diameter of the cable when you worked for Moe, being strung out 9K feet? Had to be a quite heavy load. If you have time explain the steps of getting that cable strung and ready for use. Thanks!

  2975. #2975Hank R2020-03-20 08:37

    Just a question did Kathleen Fitzpatrick go on to become a school teacher, She looks like one of our school teacher here now retired.

  2976. #2976Hallback2020-03-20 09:21

    The furthest out I have been was 6800'. We had an old Skagit BU-50 mounted onto an off highway Autocar with a drive axle in front for pulling out the layout. We strung a single leg of haywire to the truck (truck was tied off to stumps also) and then pulled the 1/2" line from the truck to the landing with the tagline drum of the yarder. We then attached the skyline extensions to the line horse and pulled out the big line. The skyline was 1.5" swaged. It took 30-32 sections of 3/8"wire from yarder to line horse.

  2977. #2977dirty4fun2020-03-20 22:49

    Thanks Hallback, over a mile of 1.5" cable was quite a load in it's self. Still seems like a good way to pull a lot of loads of timber without the expense of building a road and maybe having to remove the road when done.

  2978. #2978camptramp2020-03-20 23:27

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div . April 1999 Honeymoon Bay DLS #40-124 HDX Hayes being dumped by "Push off" method .

  2979. #2979camptramp2020-03-20 23:35

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 #40-139 P16 Pacific driver the late Art Nickerson ( one of the best drivers I have ridden with using standard 4X6 mixing sticks) dumping using push off method .

  2980. #2980camptramp2020-03-20 23:36

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 #40-139 P16 Pacific driver the late Art Nickerson ( one of the best drivers I have ridden with using standard 4X6 mixing sticks) dumping using push off method . View attachment 213240 View attachment 213241 View attachment 213242 View attachment 213243

  2981. #2981camptramp2020-03-20 23:45

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 Honeymoon Bay DLS

  2982. #2982camptramp2020-03-20 23:49

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 Honemoon Bay DLS 2nd picture Rick Perry standing on Cat 980

  2983. #2983camptramp2020-03-20 23:54

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. For many years a family of Osprey made their home on top of this Light Post . At Honeymoon Bay DLS

  2984. #2984camptramp2020-03-21 00:07

    I wasn't there , but I would have got to a spot on road that turned to the left . Usually one of the cinch cables is loose , release it Then stand under opposite side of load and cut the tight cinch cable with a sharp axe and let the log drop on ground .

  2985. #2985wornout wrench2020-03-21 00:18

    Great pictures Camptramp.

  2986. #2986camptramp2020-03-21 22:30

    Thank you , I'm lucky to be acquainted and to have worked with some amazing loggers . Unfortunately not a lot of them had time to take many if any pictures , but those that have taken a few or a lot have been more than happy to share them . I have had some other things keeping me busy the past couple of years , but I have been lining up a few more pictures to reminisce "The Good Old Days" . Good to see VI TL posting his pictures .

  2987. #2987wornout wrench2020-03-21 23:08

    I know what you mean, I have worked with some really good people too. It was always fun moving jobs and getting to a new camp, see how many people you knew from previous places. I'm also guilty of not taking enough pictures. I have some but I have no idea where they are. We packed up for a possible move several years ago and they are in a box somewhere.

  2988. #2988camptramp2020-03-21 23:12

    With the passing of time we are getting short handed , find them ! LOL

  2989. #2989camptramp2020-03-21 23:22

    Another picture that goes with these of the #40-124 HDX Hayes .

  2990. #2990camptramp2020-03-21 23:25

    Dave Wiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div . #40-135 HDX Hayes parked at Gordon River Camp .

  2991. #2991camptramp2020-03-22 00:37

    Just had a look ahead in Photo Album , there are more pictures of Skagit longlines to come .

  2992. #2992camptramp2020-03-22 00:41

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS

  2993. #2993camptramp2020-03-22 00:48

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS two highway trucks owned by Rich Bennett , Mack self loader to left (operated by "RJ" Bennett) loading logs on self and loading short logs on Western Star pulling four bunk trailer to right .

  2994. #2994camptramp2020-03-22 00:54

    I'm not sure Hank she is from the Cowichan area her father Hank was a Woods Foreman for WFI Gordon River Camp , I'll check with Dave when I get a chance .

  2995. #2995camptramp2020-03-22 23:42

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 Dave Whiskin putting bundleing wires on sorted/scale logs to be hauled from Honeymoon Bay DLS to be hauled to Shoal Island DLS on foreshore off Crofto n Pulp Mill .

  2996. #2996camptramp2020-03-22 23:48

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest Div. 1999 Dave Whiskin driving a Mack highway logging truck owned by Dale Weaver and leased to Timberwest . Loading sorted/scaled logs at Honeymoon Bay to be hauled to Shoal Island DLS .

  2997. #2997camptramp2020-03-22 23:52

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest Div. 1999 Dave at Honeymoon Bay DLS loading sorted /scale logs to be dumped at Shoal Island DLS .

  2998. #2998Hallback2020-03-23 07:16

    Boy they sure have to handle those logs a lot compared to down south here. We do all the Sorting scaling and Bucking in the woods and it goes direct to the destination. Back in the day around here though we did have sort yards and off-highway trucks that would haul into them where feasible.

  2999. #2999Tugger22020-03-23 22:43

    Maybe we could start hard surfacing the logs here to create some real employment here.Anyone got any WOODWELD100

  3000. #3000camptramp2020-03-23 22:45

    These pictures were taken in 1999 , a lot has changed since then (and not for the better from my point of view) . There were many reasons that this system worked in its time . Even as these pictures were taken , change was in the works . By 2002 the Off Highway logging trucks were parked except for Lowbed moves and the Dryland Sorts were history . From 1993 to 2002 were some of the best years I had working in the Forest Industry . Timberwest had a change of CEO's around then and a fellow by the name of John Mann came from South of the border around that time . For the working folks and the contractors in the Industry it's been a struggle to survive ever since .

  3001. #3001wornout wrench2020-03-23 22:58

    Oh I remember that bald headed #$@%^%$#$$%%%$$* I was working for TW at the time.

  3002. #3002camptramp2020-03-23 23:30

    He certainly left quite an impression with anybody that had the unfortunate opportunity to have been aquainted with him . After the transition from BCFP to Fletcher Challenge to Timberwest , the Div. had morale issue's , Doug Mosher was placed in HBO Div. as Manager around the time Caycuse and Renfrew Div. were amailgamated it took him about three years to get HBO turned around and the crews working together . He paid us well and gave us the tools to get the job done . I felt the Div. as a whole was producing better than it had in years . A half hour meeting in the Honeymoon Bay Hall with John Mann left the crews morale lower than the Fletcher Challenge days . When we left the Hall our sense of pride had turned to hate . And that was just the start of things to come !

  3003. #3003camptramp2020-03-23 23:55

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 1st picture looking across Osborne bay at the Crofton Pulp Mill from Shoal Island DLS 2nd picture looking across DLS at overhead crane 3rd & 4th pictures overhead crane placing grapple on loaded highway truck

  3004. #3004camptramp2020-03-23 23:58

    Dave Whiskin Collection Tmberwest HBO Div. 1999 Overhead crane lifting load off truck and placing it in water .

  3005. #3005wornout wrench2020-03-24 00:05

    Yup, same at Oyster River

  3006. #3006camptramp2020-03-24 00:05

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1999 1st picture driver Dave Whiskin returning to truck after cleaning loose bark off trailer rigging . 2nd , 3rd & 4th picture's Dave waiting to load trailer at Shoal Island DLS trailer reload .

  3007. #3007camptramp2020-03-24 00:23

    I use to work with a fellow Sid"Skidder"Smith who was quite a character , who started working in the 'Woods" during the 1930's . He always had a tale or story to tell . One was about when he heard about a Booman that drowned at work on the Fraser River . Thinking he could score a job . He headed down to the Booming Grounds . When he found the Foreman and asked about the job . The Foreman replied "Sorry Kid" the guy that pushed him in the River got the job . Another one was when your to old to work around here , they put you out to pasture . For a going away present they give you a suit case to move out of camp with and a hand mirror to watch your self starve to death ! Are we going back to that mind set ?

  3008. #3008wornout wrench2020-03-24 03:08

    Sorry Camptramp. I enjoyed my time with the Timberwest crew. There were some damn fine people working there. We made the company lots of money so it really was a bit of a shock when they decided to toss us away the way they did. Still a bit of a raw nerve.

  3009. #3009Hallback2020-03-24 04:01

    Even though I am South of the Border from you guys I definitely have to agree 1993 to 2002 were the best years of my career by far. I had the most fun, made the least money and lived the most Hardscrabble life a guy could and loved every second of it. There is a lot to be said for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a worn-out old pickup that is all yours.

  3010. #3010dirty4fun2020-03-24 05:45

    The loads being dumped at Timberwest have wrapers or cables on them being dumped and in the water. Why are they leaving the logs in bundles like that? Thanks just curious.

  3011. #3011Tugger22020-03-24 10:11

    Bundling cuts down on log loss when they are towing the wood in booms. Especially with hemlock which can sink if not bundled with floaters.

  3012. #3012camptramp2020-03-24 12:17

    The loads are already scaled and sorted at Honeymoon Bay DLS , once the bundled logs hit the water they are placed in individual pockets of "Boom Sticks" on the water to create a "Boom" of logs of the same grade and species . The "Boom " is then towed by a tug to the Mill or Manufacturing Facility that has purchased it . Shoal Island DLS was handling over 30 different Grades And Species of logs . The bundled logs take up less space and travel better on our sometimes rough and turbulent waters .

  3013. #3013camptramp2020-03-24 23:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Oct 1999 Dave Whiskin driving a new Mack logging truck owned by Dale Weaver leased to Timberwest . The green Mack that Dave was driving back a couple of posts got laid on its side , so Dale Weaver traded it in on this truck . I drove the Green Mack when it was brand new for several months in 1996 . When it was laid on its side , after the shop went over it to make sure it was safe to drive I drove it to the Mack Dealer at Nanimo . It was repaired and sold to Gordon Dougan .

  3014. #3014camptramp2020-03-24 23:59

    Dave Whiskin Collection Tinberwest HBO Div. Fallers at work 1st picture is Al Margettish

  3015. #3015camptramp2020-03-25 00:13

    DFave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Ernie Harrison operating #54-85 Madill 075 log loader loading #40-128 HDX Hayes logging truck

  3016. #3016camptramp2020-03-25 00:15

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 #54-75 American log loader loading #40-128 HDX Hayes logging truck .

  3017. #3017petepilot2020-03-25 18:26

    especially if the breads not moldy

  3018. #3018camptramp2020-03-26 00:07

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Heli Logging Canadian Air Crane

  3019. #3019camptramp2020-03-26 00:10

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Heli L ogging Canadian Air Crane

  3020. #3020camptramp2020-03-26 00:12

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Heli Logging Canadian Air Crane 2000

  3021. #3021camptramp2020-03-26 22:55

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Dave Whiskin driving #40-128 HDX Hayes log truck .

  3022. #3022camptramp2020-03-26 23:04

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 Dave Whiskin driving #40-128 HDX Hayes logging truck , #56-32 Cypress log loader ope rator Les "Horrible" Hillard

  3023. #3023camptramp2020-03-26 23:06

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000

  3024. #3024camptramp2020-03-26 23:07

    Dave Whiskin Collection Tinberwest HBO Div. 2000

  3025. #3025camptramp2020-03-27 23:07

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 A longline skyline across a valley and Boman Drop Line Carrage at landing

  3026. #3026camptramp2020-03-27 23:12

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timbrewest HBO Div. 2000 Looking at top of Skagit Steel Tower ,

  3027. #3027camptramp2020-03-27 23:17

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture An old Guyline Stump on TR 2 2nd picture The remains of an old Rail Road Trestle on 70 Creek , #rd picture Charge Hand Stu Smith

  3028. #3028camptramp2020-03-28 22:57

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st & 2nd pictures Skagit Longline Tower . 3rd & 4th pictures #56-32 Cypress Hydraulic Log Loader operator Jim Scholey loading #40-128 HDX Log Truck , with logs from Skagit Tower .

  3029. #3029camptramp2020-03-28 23:06

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Landing Bucker Wayne Coulombe taking a break 2nd picture Boman Drop Line Carriage on the ground (probably for fuel) 3rd & 4th pictures #56-32 log Loader loading #40-128 Log Truck

  3030. #3030camptramp2020-03-28 23:23

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 1st picture log truck driver Dave Whiskin & Derrick Whiskin standing in front of loaded #40-128 HDX Hayes 2nd picture Log Loader operator Jim Scholey & Derrick Whiskin standing in fron of #40-128 . 3rd picture Jim Scholey standing in front of #40-128 .

  3031. #3031camptramp2020-03-29 22:37

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 1st picture #40-96 P16 Pacific on Gordon River M/L by Honeymoon Bay Golf Coarse 2nd picture #40-96 crossing Highway to enter Honeymoon Bay DLS . 3rd picture #40-96 parked in DLS over night by trailer reload 4th picture #40-96 driver Dave Whiskin standing in front , getting ready to have load pushed off . "Push Apparatus" is resting on top of load to ensure nothing falls off load while driver removes cinches .

  3032. #3032camptramp2020-03-29 22:40

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2000 , Cat 14 in a bit of a difficult situation .

  3033. #3033camptramp2020-03-29 22:42

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 200 , Cat 14 off roa d .

  3034. #3034petepilot2020-03-29 22:54

    spooky situation curious to know how that turned out

  3035. #3035camptramp2020-03-29 23:17

    I'm not sure , I was hauling with a Highway logging truck outside the main part of the Div. around that time . I see the "Line Horse" an HDX Hayes with a Winch on it in one of the pictures . I'm sure it could pull the Grader back on to the road . Not sure how it got there , but I'm sure there was a little adrenalin flowing .

  3036. #3036petepilot2020-03-29 23:28

    most likely a little more than adrenalin

  3037. #3037camptramp2020-03-30 23:28

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 1st picture Two loads waiting to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS 2nd picture #40-91 P16 Pacific driver Don Orza waiting to dump at H Bay DLS 3rd picture P16 ready to have load pushed off by 988 Cat Stacker at H Bay DLS

  3038. #3038camptramp2020-03-30 23:42

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Tom Worth driver of #40-140 P16 Pacific pulling fuel hose off fuel truck 2nd picture Tom Worth fueling up #40-140 #40-96 P16 Pacific is behind lowbed to push lowbed when needed 3rd picture fuel truck driver Dan up on #52-45 Cypress 7280 Grapple Yarder fueling it up 4th picture Driver of #40-96 Dave Whiskin standing by lowbed .

  3039. #3039camptramp2020-03-30 23:55

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest Div. 2001 1st picture #52-45 Grapple Yarder Operator Howard Donahue up on cab 2nd & 3rd pictures Lowbed Driver Tom Worth and Truck Dispatcher in deep discussion , I'm not sure if they have just loaded the #52-45 on to lowbed or if they are preparing to off load the #52-45 from lowbed .

  3040. #3040camptramp2020-04-01 00:05

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 2nd picture Dave standing in front of #40-96 P16 Pacific with a nice load of Cedar .

  3041. #3041camptramp2020-04-01 00:07

    Dave Whislin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 Dave driving #40-96 with a load of Cedar

  3042. #3042camptramp2020-04-01 00:14

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 2nd picture Dave Whiskin standing in front #40-96 at Bush Ambulance 3rd picture Dave Whiskin & son Derrick standing by #40-96 at HBO DLS .

  3043. #3043camptramp2020-04-01 23:32

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 1st & 2nd pictures #40-96 P16 Pacific with a load of Cedar and Skagit Tower in back ground . 3rd & 4th pictures Grader Man Bill Laktin fueling up . Bill was a genuine character , he was at Renfrew Div. when I hired on the first time in 1966 , and was a "Home Guard" until he retired . He had a hearing issue , but I think it was selective . Ask him to do something , he wouldn't hear you . Call him lazy behind his back and he would respond immediately . One time Bruce Wilson was the Hook Tender on a Steel Tower . Bill was working on the Landing . Bruce was doing some chore in the Landing . Bill goes over and asked Bruce if he needed a hand . Bruce thought he could handle it himself , so Bill went across the Landing to start a "Lunch Fire" . About then Bruce found he did need a hand , he called over to Bill to come over and give him a hand . Bills response , sorry Bruce I'm busy now !

  3044. #3044camptramp2020-04-01 23:37

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 A couple of views of Cowichan Lake

  3045. #3045camptramp2020-04-02 23:53

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 A couple of Hayes Log Trucks 1st picture an HDX Hayes 2nd picture a P16 Pacific on the road 3rd picture a Hayes HDX at the front of a line up of loads waiting to cross Highway to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS 4th picture is long time ( Malloch & Mosley , Forestland Industries , Hayes Forest Service ) Log Truck Driver , Bill Spiller pulling a load up "Jack Shaft Summit" with a P16 Pacific.

  3046. #3046camptramp2020-04-03 23:11

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture #40-96 P16 Pacific with a load of 2nd growth logs on it 2nd picture Long time Caycuse Log Truck Driver John Bell standing by #40-127 HDX Hayes wit h a nice load of Cedar along side #40-129 HDX Hayes at DLS waiting to dump 3rd picture John Bell heading back to cab of $40-127 HDX Hayes after hooking up a strap to #40-139 P16 Pacific towing Lowbed to pull lowbed up a hill 4th picture #40-96 P16 Pacific in lineup to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  3047. #3047camptramp2020-04-04 22:42

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div 2001 1st picture is the #40-96 P16 Pacific parked empty at the former Caycues shop area . This truck was the Off Highway Log Truck I drove when I wasn't on a leased Highway Log Truck from 1993 to 2000 , I once measured the height of the trailer stakes when empty trailer was loaded on truck 22 feet ! 2nd , 3rd & 4th pictures Dave parking or picking up a loaded preload trailer at the "Trailer Park" at Gordon River Camp . Quite often if we were driving a Preload style Log Truck we would drop a loaded trailer if we knew the DLS had a line up of loads or it was to late in the day to go to the DLS then get to the woods for another load . Quite often we would pick up a load in the morning and head for the DLS to keep the Sort busy at what might be a slow time .

  3048. #3048camptramp2020-04-05 22:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Dave driving #40-96 with a nice load of Cedar . On a rainy day .

  3049. #3049camptramp2020-04-05 23:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Dave driving the #40-96 P16 Pacific at Gordon River Camp Shop . 3rd picture is Dave Whiskin and Don Patrick standing in front of log truck . Don Patrick was a career Welder who started with BCFP Renfrew Div. . An excellent Fabriater / welder if Don welded it , it was done right . I had a flat tire on a trailer one day . I stopped at Gordon River Shop to get Dan Reid the tire man to changed it . One of the studs broke off . Don brought the Welding truck around and tried his quick fix , welded a piece of pipe from the inside to the broken stud , which usually works . This time it didn't , Don got down with a cutting torch , warmed up the stud and carefully cut the stud out of the hole . When he was finished Dan Reid had a tape ready , they cleaned out the threads , put a new stud in , mounted the tires back on and I was on my way .

  3050. #3050camptramp2020-04-06 23:41

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 Dave W. driving #40-96 Pacific . Stopped at "Bush Ambulance" for a photo opp. A big advantage of the "Preload" style trailer was being able to "shorten up" to haul big logs cut short .

  3051. #3051Hallback2020-04-07 09:58

    I see lots of Shake & Shingle material there!

  3052. #3052camptramp2020-04-07 17:05

    If you were "Hand Splitting" 24 inch Tapers , it would take awhile !

  3053. #3053camptramp2020-04-07 23:08

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Dave W. driving #40-96 P16 Pacific stopped at Gordon River Shop for a photo opp with Don Patrick .

  3054. #3054petepilot2020-04-07 23:24

    564 million cedar flavored tooth picks

  3055. #3055camptramp2020-04-09 00:13

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Dave W. with #40-96 P16 Pacific with a nice load of Cedar 2nd picture Art Nickerson driving #40-139 P16 Pacific with a nice load . 3rd & 4th Pictures is Oz Nelson standing in front of the last Off Highway he drove #40-132 P16 Pacific Conventional logging truck . Parked at HBO DLS beside "Trailer Reload" for the night .

  3056. #3056Welder Dave2020-04-09 01:45

    Just wondering if the trucks were typically legal or often overloaded?

  3057. #3057dirty4fun2020-04-09 05:34

    Since they are off highway trucks some are 15' - 16' wide and start out at around 80K empty would be illegal on most highways. When moving some equipment up they have a truck pushing and one or two in front pulling to get the machine as far up the mountain that they can, before tracking to where they are going to be set up.

  3058. #3058Tugger22020-04-09 10:15

    If my memory is correct top speed is about 40 MPH. A friend of mine moves them on his lowbed with the bunk swung lengthways.

  3059. #3059Welder Dave2020-04-09 12:13

    I was wondering if they're overloaded as far as the GVW ratings of the trucks?

  3060. #3060Tugger22020-04-09 12:24

    Id say definately not on the cedar loads. Mixed or hemlock get maxed before they are piled that high. The outfit i worked for knew the costs associated with overloading those trucks and seemed to able to keep a balance between production and abuse. There were times we even shortened bunk stakes to keep things under control.Im speaking as a shop guy not a driver.Cant say ive had the feeling myself of an overload and maybe a shortage of brake water,but i have sure worked to repair the consequences.

  3061. #3061RollOver Pete2020-04-09 12:53

    That and how in the hell do you stop something that heavy on a downgrade without heating and cracking your drums?

  3062. #3062RollOver Pete2020-04-09 12:56

    Brake water? Please explain...

  3063. #3063Tugger22020-04-09 13:09

    Water cooled brakes on the truck and trailer. If you look at the pictures of the off highway trucks you notice the bulkhead and bull board over the cab as well as the smaller fuel tank up against the cab. Its also a watertank thats pressurized with truck air 3 or 4 psi (drivers correct me on that) which distributes water to all wheels as you come down hill. Usually a nozzle of flattened 1/4" squirting on each drum.Bad when squirted on allready hot drums and bad when you run short of water halfway down. We had gravity systems feeding from creeks into tanks on stands with a big filler pipe that swung down to dump in the 3 or 4 hundred gallons of water quick on the way back up.

  3064. #3064RollOver Pete2020-04-09 13:24

    Really? Very interesting. Thanks for explaining this to me. Next is to find some videos of this being used .

  3065. #3065Hallback2020-04-09 21:31

    We used to have those water tanks all over the woods around here but they are all but gone now. Once in awhile you will still see one or the remnants of one but that is it.

  3066. #3066camptramp2020-04-09 23:41

    The Off Highway Logging Trucks used on the West Coast of B.C. were used on Industrial Haul Roads . Most Company's I worked for wanted a reasonable load (Approximatlely 90-95 Cubic Meters) . The bridges and mainline roads were built to easily haul much heavier loads than that . If I was hauling from a loading site that was accessed by good roads , anything the loading operator could put on the load I'd take to the DLS dump . I checked with the scaler on a load of wet Hemlock & Balsam I hauled off the top of Spur 14 that scaled out at 140 Cu. Meters plus the scaler said he had deducted about 10 meters for butt rot . If a haul road had any extremely steep grades or bad switchbacks or corners , the loading operator's were more than willing to load to the top of the stakes and round off the load . The Off Highway log trucks had either or both "Jake Brakes" on the engine and "Retarters "on the "Alison Power Shift Transmissions" As long as the driver looked after his brakes , they worked great . Starting down a hill , we would pick a speed that you felt comfortable with and one that allowed you to stop the truck if anything went wrong . Before you started down any hills you would stop the truck flip the dump valve for the water system and walk around the truck and make sure the water was flowing across all the brake drums from the inside out . Once you started down the hill the brakes were appled long enough to warm them up when you felt them holding , the dump valve was opened to run water on the brake drums . If for any reason you couldn't see steam coming off the truck or trailer tires or the load started "pushing" it was time to stop and fine out what the problem was . When you came off a hill we would let the water flow for a short distance to cool down the brake drums but not to long as you could crack the drums . When we were going to stop we had an air line rigged up to blow the water out of the water lines , so water still in water lines wouldn't run on hot drums and crack them . Another factor as to how big a load that could be put on these truck was the dumping operation at the DLS . One Stacker pushed the load off , while another Stacker held the load together , so the logs especially Cedar did not crash down from a high height and bust up the logs . If the loads got to high The operators at the DLS let the loaders know they weren't happy about them .

  3067. #3067Welder Dave2020-04-09 23:53

    I was more wondering about overloading weight wise not size wise. They say the reason the 350 ton Terex Titan differential failed is being regularly overloaded with 450-500 tons. What's the rated capacity and what's considered overloaded for the big log trucks?

  3068. #3068camptramp2020-04-09 23:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. A birds eye view of the San Juan Valley 1st picture is looking down on Fairy Lake 2nd picture is looking out over San Juan Bay to the open Pacific O cean 3rd picture is looking across the entrance to the Straits of Juan De Fuca , Washington State , Cape Flattery And the Pacific Ocean .

  3069. #3069camptramp2020-04-10 00:20

    I really can't answer that question as we never went across Scales and a Cedar or Fir Tree growing by a Swamp or Bog sucks up a lot more water and weigths more than a Cedar or Fir Tree growing on a well drained slope . Certainly we knew when we had a heavy or light load by the gears we use pulling up adverse grades or how it pushed going down a hill , but we didn't know the actual Tonage .

  3070. #3070John C.2020-04-10 11:00

    That last photo is real interesting to me because I have been on the other side looking north so many time in my career. Thanks for the picts!

  3071. #3071Greatwestcam2020-04-10 21:25

    I remember the tires being the weak point in how much weight could be hauled, short hauls were ok to "loader up" but on the long hauls the tires get a lot of heat built up in them and shorten their life. As weight goes, when the chopper was flying wood they found out heavy pieces could be, remember a fir log 7 ft diameter by 26 ft long that the Sikorsky 64F couldn't lift, they cut it at 16 ft and flew it and said it weighed 18000 lbs.

  3072. #3072camptramp2020-04-10 23:58

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. May 2001 1st & 2nd Pictures #40-96 P16 Pacific loaded by #56-32 Cypress Log Loader Skagit Tower in back ground . 3rd & 4th pictures Dave W. standing on pigeon roof of truck .

  3073. #3073camptramp2020-04-11 01:04

    I've spent a good many years in the Port Renfrew , San Juan Bay area . The head of San Juan Bay has one of the nicest beach's on the Southern West side of Vancouver Island , as a boy I have walked it many times , from the North end where the Gordon River enters the North Branch of the San Juan River , one can look across and see Cape Flattery . When we worked in the Camper Creek area (which is the first main creek North of San Juan Bay) we could see Washington State , and we could on occasion see Cruise Ships pass by from the Straits and head South out bound on the Pacific Ocean . I always thought it would be nice to be on one of thoughs Cruise Ships and have a look at the coast from the sea side . So I got the wife to get us on a repositioning Cruise through the Panama Canal . When we were getting close to the Fall Cruise I checked the Itinerary , we departed Vancouver at 500 Pm in October , we went through the Juan De Fuca Straits in the dark .

  3074. #3074camptramp2020-04-11 22:44

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3075. #3075camptramp2020-04-12 22:31

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 1st picture #40-96 P16 Pacific parked along side a Kenworth highway leased to Timberwest from Aliford Bay Logging driven by Rob Norman (Rob is from a long line of B.C. Loggers , his Grandfather was Henry Norman who rigged the first Ledgerwood Skidder in B.C. His Father Albert Norman was the last Head Rigger at Caycuse to rig wooden spar tree's ) 2nd picture is Dave Whiskin by truck . 3rd picture is both the Pacific and Kenworth at Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  3076. #3076Bumpsteer2020-04-12 23:45

    And now you know why off-road trucks are more efficient...lol Ed

  3077. #3077Welder Dave2020-04-13 00:37

    That's a pretty dramatic difference!

  3078. #3078petepilot2020-04-13 01:01

    like to drive one through downtown la

  3079. #3079dirty4fun2020-04-13 04:51

    The off highway truck can haul around 200K of logs on grades up to 30%. A highway truck 45K and and doesn't do well on grades of 30%, plus not being built heavy duty enough to take the gravel rough roads that happen between gradings. They start falling apart in a short time, where the off highway trucks have been in use for decades.

  3080. #3080Welder Dave2020-04-13 10:32

    Thanks for that. It gives some perspective.

  3081. #3081John C.2020-04-13 10:59

    The difference is based on the cubic foot of load per haul. Canada used the monster trucks extensively because of the extensive use of private gravel road. In the US the road system is mostly public so the trucks were limited to loads legal for use on public highways. When I graduated high school I worked for a year for the lazy W, Weyerhaeuser, and they for a time used some of those trucks on their private road systems. Two problems surfaced that I saw while I was driving a dump truck on those roads. First issue was the shear size of the trucks causing traffic issues. The big trucks came down the middle of the main lines and everyone had to find a place to stop whenever one of those dinosaurs was coming at you. CB radios weren't common back then and you just had to hope you weren't tippy and there was room on the side of the road. If you were following one and it was dry, the dust was just brutal. The speed was another issue. They traveled at about 35 miles an hour at best with a load on and on the main line. I don't think the independent truckers ever cared to be behind one of them. The last part I noticed was how much time they spent in the shop. I think there were five or six of them at that time in the White River tree farm and there was always one of them in the shop. They must have been expensive as that summer was the only time I saw them. After that, all I ever saw was an increasing number of independent trucks. It wasn't too many years later that the lazy W did away with their own trucking fleet there and used independents completely.

  3082. #3082Welder Dave2020-04-13 12:02

    Some have been running for 40+ years and many have been rebuilt so there must be some good benefits to using them. You look at a fleet of off highway haul trucks and there's going to be some in the shop for maintenance or repairs. They certainly aren't babied on the job. They're carrying 4 times as much. As was previously stated the highway trucks didn't hold up.

  3083. #3083John C.2020-04-13 14:54

    I've done appraisals on logging trucks that were 30 years old and more than a million and half miles. They hold up just fine on the mixed road systems given moderate maintenance and repairs. The point on the off highway trucks is that they worked in Canada in a specific application. They don't work in the states in a similar application. They also can't have been the ultimate answer as there are no more manufacturers producing them. Just because you scale up the size of a machine in many cases doesn't mean the profits will scale up with that size. Where I was and at the time I observed their use, the application apparently was not profitable.

  3084. #3084Welder Dave2020-04-13 15:07

    The gov't. had a lot to do with the decline of the lumber industry. Many companies with good products went down in the 80's recession. The fact some of these trucks are still earning their keep is testament to how tough they are.

  3085. #3085mowingman2020-04-13 15:45

    I wonder why Euclid/Terex and Cat did not get into the heavy haul truck business, in the timber industry? They certainly had truck tractors at work in the mining industry that should have been useful for hauling big timber loads. Jeff

  3086. #3086Welder Dave2020-04-13 16:17

    Maybe too wide?

  3087. #3087Hallback2020-04-13 17:32

    If you factor in a sort yard and the scalers in the yard and the buckers in the yard along with the cost of a fat truck it sure makes a lot more financial sense to buck and sort in the brush and send loads of finished logs off the hill instead of handling it two or three more times.

  3088. #3088camptramp2020-04-13 23:29

    The object is to get the logs to the mill , same plan below the 49th parallel as above the 49th parallel . But there are different rules , it sounds like you have a scaler on the yarding / loading site , in B.C. the logs are transported to a designated DLS to be scaled , graded and sorted , bundled and sent to a manufacturing plant . Until the day they plant me I will have fond memories of the days I spent on Hayes HDX's and Pacific P16's .

  3089. #3089camptramp2020-04-13 23:39

    There were a few Euclids / Terex's used around the West Coast of B.C. , but I don't think they were a major player . I never drove one , but its my understanding the brakes on the tractor were never ment to take seriously .

  3090. #3090Hallback2020-04-14 09:22

    Don't get me wrong, I love the fat trucks especially the 849's & 850's. Our scalers are at the final destinations such as the mill or export facility. Lots of work is Done by the ton down here now so we are "paid by the pound".

  3091. #3091Hallback2020-04-14 09:23

    From a modern day financial standpoint though, sorting in the brush is cheaper.

  3092. #3092John C.2020-04-14 09:54

    I suppose one big issue not addressed is the size of the timber. Even back when I worked for Weyerhaeuser the timber was getting to be smaller second growth. The mill still had a pond and a 72" double cut primary saw but the largest percentage of wood went through the quad saws back then. Can you imagine loading one of the big trucks with 28" and smaller pecker poles. Any idea how long that would take? By the time I graduated high school most of that giant timber was either gone or just not accessible any more.

  3093. #3093Tugger22020-04-14 09:56

    Some of the settings we had were in pretty steep country,there was barely room for a couple of hours yarding let alone much sorting.

  3094. #3094VI TL2020-04-14 12:52

    I have enjoyed looking at all the pages in this thread. Pictures and comments are great. Thanks

  3095. #3095Hallback2020-04-14 14:35

    Been there! Have to have a truck under you all the time.

  3096. #3096camptramp2020-04-14 22:29

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Occasionally Timberwest's off highway lowbed moved Mount Sicker Lumber's equipment I think this is Lowbed driver Tom Worth and push truck driver Dave Whiskin moving an 009 Madill tank mount Tower for Mt Sicker up Mck ay Creek over looking Lake Cowichan .

  3097. #3097donkey doctor2020-04-15 00:35

    That's Gord in the 3rd pic isn't it? By the way where is Blk Prince? he's been MIA for a while. Hope all is OK.d.d.

  3098. #3098camptramp2020-04-15 00:58

    I believe so , but I have never met him . I touched base with Blk Prince last year , we were going to get together for coffee . Didn't get to it , but will check on him and make something happen after this Coroa 19 thing passes . Take Care d.d. Stay Healthy

  3099. #3099camptramp2020-04-15 23:56

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. June 2001 #40-96 P16 Pacific

  3100. #3100camptramp2020-04-16 00:18

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-96 P16 Pacific Pulling a load up "Jack Shaft Summit" . This is a long and fairly step grade from Loop Creek bridge to the Summit well over a Kilometer long . On a hot day with a heavy load , the dust would pass the truck . When it was first built in about 1983 the camp Engineer figured he saved about $22, 000.00 on explosives by leaving a couple of pitchs a little on the steep side . The Master Mechanic figured it cost about $50,000.00 in drive line parts . The grade was beginning to be known as 'Jack Shaft Summit" . One Morning a friend and I were heading out to the Woods early . There is a Rock Face in front of the truck in picture . We pulled our trucks up to the rock face and stood on the radiators of our HDX's , then with Light Blue paint wrote in letters as big as we could "Jack Shaft Summit" . The name stuck . The grade on that piece of road has been cut down two times before that picture was taken .

  3101. #3101petepilot2020-04-16 02:17

    kinda looks a little like wolf creek pass except the roads on the wrong side of the hill

  3102. #3102Hallback2020-04-16 09:47

    How much timber is left on the island? How much old growth and how much of it is still able to be logged?

  3103. #3103camptramp2020-04-16 23:45

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3104. #3104Blk prince2020-04-17 16:54

    Someone call my name? Shake the tree and guess what falls out. Haha. Yep,still around. Doing well. Looks as if you gents are doing well. At least I hope you are

  3105. #3105camptramp2020-04-17 23:28

    Good to know . Bin awhile since the last load of logs went over the "Brow Log" , the last load of "Pebbles" has met the same fate . When this latest social set back passes over we'll have to get together for coffee . Take care Bp stay healthy .

  3106. #3106camptramp2020-04-17 23:31

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. By the look of the front end of the #40-96 , it looks like it has been pushing the lowbed .

  3107. #3107Blk prince2020-04-17 23:33

    All true sir. Yes we need a good chat. It will happen. Take care also

  3108. #3108petepilot2020-04-18 00:06

    from the lower east,you guys take care` and keep the pics.coming

  3109. #3109Welder Dave2020-04-18 01:21

    Is that steam or smoke from the brakes and why only on the trailer?

  3110. #3110camptramp2020-04-19 00:10

    Yes that is steam coming off trailer brakes . The #40-96 P16 Pacific came with a V12 natural Detroit Diesel engine with an Alison 6 speed power shift transmission with a built in drive line retarter . In the late 1990's the truck was repowered with a signature 600 Cummins engine Equipped with an engine Jake Brake . So when this picture was taken this truck had lots of braking in it . The water to cool brakes feature starts with a water tank behind drivers cab . a water line comes out the bottom of water tank on drivers side , a hose runs up to the cab floor by door side of drivers seat , there is a main pipe that has a dump valve built into it which then goes to a "T" , on the front side of the "T" is a water valve that controls the water flow to the truck brakes , an elbow in the pipe sends the pipe down through the floor to the truck brakes . A pipe goes to the back side of "T" with a water valve that controls the flow of the water to the trailer brakes goes to an elbow and down through the floor to the trailer brakes . There is an air shut off valve and a gauge under dash to set air pressure to water tank to push water to trailer that is usually higher than truck going down steep hills . As there is a hand valve to set air pressure to trailer brakes , the driver can use more braking on trailer than truck . And by using the Retarter and or Jake Brake the driver uses less truck brakes . So Dave is using lots of trailer brakes and minimal truck brakes . Its interesting that the water nipples or spouts spray the water across the brake drum from the inside to the outside , as the brake drums are slightly tapered , the water that stays on the brake drum is pulled back to the inside of brake drum and runs on the ground inside of tires .

  3111. #3111camptramp2020-04-19 00:15

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. A birds eye view of Lake Cowichan .

  3112. #3112camptramp2020-04-19 00:31

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 #40-96 P16 Pacific

  3113. #3113Welder Dave2020-04-19 03:08

    Thanks for the explanation. How many hours or miles will one of the off road trucks go with reasonable maintainence and a good driver?

  3114. #3114camptramp2020-04-19 23:30

    That's a good question . The HDX Hayes was a very good truck not very many Off Highway Log Truck drivers got a new Logging Truck . That honor usually went to one of the senior drivers , who often got more than one new truck in their career . As a junior driver I got the #222 at BC Forest Products at Renfrew Div. in 1981 , I'm sure the Speed o meter worked when it was new . But that was in 1962 , I can't remember the hours on the hour meter , but it may have been changed over the years . I hauled its last load of logs in fall of 1982 . There was nothing wrong with the truck , some newer and bigger log trucks had come available from some other BCFP camps that had been shut down . The #222 was used around camp to move (Fire) water tanks and trailers for a couple of years then a water tank was mounted on the back and it was used for Fire Protection . Last I heard of it , it was owned by IPL and still running . The HDX Hayes , P16 Pacific , 849 & 850 Kenworths as was the Challenger all had "I" Beam frames . Excluding a major mishap that caused the frame to be badly bent , these trucks just kept going . As times changed in the Forest Industry some perfectly good Log Tucks were victim's of a major break down , lose an engine or major component , the next thing you know other parts were taken off it to keep a similar truck running . In the bigger operations I think the accountants had a lot to say about how long a logging trucks productive life was . After it was written off and a new Log Truck was budgeted to replace it , most of the old off highway log trucks were repurposed as Water Trucks , Rock Trucks , Sand Truck or as a Linehorse . Just an after thought . the #40-96 P16 Pacific was the newest Off Highway in HBO in was built in August 1980 these pictures were taken in 2001 and I think it is still running !

  3115. #3115camptramp2020-04-19 23:37

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3116. #3116Hayesno12020-04-20 00:42

    I think #222 was sold last year but I don’t know to who. There are quite a few contractors that are running small fleets of old off highway logging truck. I know Wahkash has at leaset 8 Hayes HDX and 1 Mack CL350 running. Mack truck is from late 70´s but the Hayes trucks are from the 60`s and early 70´s. Pretty impressive!!

  3117. #3117Welder Dave2020-04-20 00:48

    I thought Pacific's had rectangular box tube frames but maybe not all models?

  3118. #3118Hayesno12020-04-20 09:20

    I have only seen P16 with I-beam frames. P10 P12 and P12W got Channel frames

  3119. #3119Welder Dave2020-04-20 12:54

    Maybe it was the super trucks with 800HP? I think I read it on this forum somewhere.

  3120. #3120camptramp2020-04-20 23:38

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st & 2nd pictures , Longline Yarder Operator Wes McKechnie climbing on Yarder . Looks like Dave W. is ready to help Yarder up a hill with #40-96 P16 Pacific .

  3121. #3121Hallback2020-04-21 07:00

    LOL, those photos warm my heart. Thank you!

  3122. #3122camptramp2020-04-21 22:36

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 3rd & 4th Pictures #54-85 Madill 075 Super Snorkel operator Ernie Harrison loading out from a Cypress Grapple Yarder .

  3123. #3123Born2clearcut2020-04-22 10:41

    Can't remember if I posted these before. Timberwest Skagit 51-55 looks like a fresh paint job

  3124. #3124Tugger22020-04-22 11:02

    Heres a long snorkel we built back in the early 80s on a 7220 American.It was 120'and ran a lightweight grapple that we also built. Sorry about the poor picture

  3125. #3125Hallback2020-04-22 21:11

    That looks like a 739 hoist on a T-110HD trailer. Nice unit!!

  3126. #3126camptramp2020-04-22 22:38

    Rob Norman Collection Timberwest HBO Div. here are a couple more pictures of that same Skagit Tower .

  3127. #3127camptramp2020-04-22 22:45

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Spring 2002 Dave has a big smile on his face 4 new Western Stars have arrived (#41-156 - #41-159) Dave got the $41-157 .

  3128. #3128petepilot2020-04-23 00:10

    nice truck but it sure won`t take the loads he`s used to hauling

  3129. #3129Hallback2020-04-23 08:24

    What a beautiful 739. I am surprised that they do not use towers anymore. You car reach out so much further & get more logs.

  3130. #3130Born2clearcut2020-04-23 10:49

    Always had alot of fun on the towers. Big crews lots of shannigans going on lol . Good production. Once everyone figured out and started getting good on the Grapple yarders that was the end of the towers. We went from 5 guys on the sidehill down to one guy.

  3131. #3131Tugger22020-04-23 10:51

    It seems here in BC we have gone to extremes to take the men out of the equation. Tethering machines over cliffsides to fall and hoechuck wood. An 009 Madill seems pretty simple ,but i guess things change.At least the guy with 009 isnt buried in payments and no revenue right now.

  3132. #3132Tugger22020-04-23 10:53

    Lunch fires and either can mortars shooting at the the other side across the valley.

  3133. #3133Hallback2020-04-23 21:58

    Oh how I wish I just had the Skagit and a loader & processor. Life was so simple then.

  3134. #3134camptramp2020-04-23 23:19

    No it wouldn't Maximum GVW 60,200 Kilograms .

  3135. #3135camptramp2020-04-23 23:29

    Sad to say Timberwest had 3 Skagit towers at HBO Div. and 1 Skagit tower at their Nanaimo Lakes Div. , With our new CEO and our man John Mann at the helm things changed around 2002 -2004 . I'm not sure if either of the Skagit towers survived the "Scrap Dealers Torch" .

  3136. #3136petepilot2020-04-23 23:40

    132.000 still a pretty good load

  3137. #3137camptramp2020-04-24 00:03

    That axle combination has 7 axles and 26 tires and 3 pivot points . It packs a good load , but it can be scary to drive not very forgiving if something goes wrong . Two of those trucks ended up with gravel rash and a new mirror . (not that one)

  3138. #3138camptramp2020-04-24 00:07

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 2 2002 #41-157 Western Star Looks like Dave's first load with a new truck , load doesn't look like its up to weight most likely the "Scales " have to be dialed in .

  3139. #3139Hallback2020-04-24 08:54

    That is horrible. When they are gone they are gone. Now we are buying that steel back in the form of Doosans & Kobelcos. Ugh... There will come a day that we have to log that rough long-span ground again. Helicopters are too expensive and they will not build Road into those areas.

  3140. #3140John C.2020-04-24 10:38

    All that stuff is man made. If it makes business sense, it can all be built again.

  3141. #3141VI TL2020-04-24 13:09

    Have the guylines been run out with spar leaning back rather than standing straight?

  3142. #3142Hallback2020-04-24 17:15

    It is man-made for sure but you could never afford to have a brand-new Slackline yarder built in this day and age. It would be six to eight million dollars to have one built. Your payments would be eighty thousand bucks a month on that machine. There is no way anybody could afford $4,000 a day just for the payment on a yarder.

  3143. #3143Hallback2020-04-24 17:16

    They are in the process of standing the tube up and they have the guy lines laid out. Once it is stood up they will connect all the guy lines and then telescope it up.

  3144. #3144John C.2020-04-24 22:12

    They could if the wood went up a commensurate amount. I agree those monster machines are going away, just like horses and steam. There will always be a need and somehow we will invent more efficient ways to keeping getting the trees cut down and out of the woods. Ten years ago did you ever think you would be tethering off a machine and sending it over the edge to cut and process?

  3145. #3145Hallback2020-04-24 23:02

    I agree if we were getting $4,000 per load of logs then we can afford to do something like that but we are not and we will never see a point in time in the future where we do. And yes 10 years ago I was lowering down over the edge have a hill in a logging machine that was tethered off. We just had an operator sitting in the seat of the cat up top with a radio to help assist me back up the hill when I was ready to come up. I know everything has life cycles but some things you just cannot get away from. There will always be a choker Setter for some units and there will always be a need for big yarders in places.

  3146. #3146camptramp2020-04-24 23:30

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture is Rob Norman sitting next to the retired "Old HighBaller" Jack Cottrill 2nd picture HBO Log Haul Department at Honeymoon Bay . 3rd picture is the Camp Tireman Dan Reid , if Dan wasn't the best Tireman on the Coast , he ran a close second . 4th picture DLS Mechanic Doug Knott working on one of the Tri drive Western Stars .

  3147. #3147Skeans12020-04-25 00:21

    Or B those area maybe left for buffers or carbon credits.

  3148. #3148camptramp2020-04-26 00:24

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. May 2002 1st picture John Bell standing by a new truck #41-152 Western Star Tri Drive . 2nd picture Rob Norman standing by #41-113 a Western Star Tri Drive 3rd & 4th pictures are Timberwest HBO western Star trucks lined up at the Honeymoon Bay DLS . Note the lack of logs . A clause in an agreement between Timberwest and the B.C. Forest Service concerning TFL #46 that tied the Timber supply to the Youbou Saw mill had disappeared. It didn' t take long for Timberwest to shut down the Youbou Saw Mill . As there was no reason to continue to sort the logs at Honeymoon Bay DLS , it also was shut down . The Off Highway Log Trucks were parked (Except for Trucks used for Lowbed moves) and replaced with Highway Log Trucks .

  3149. #3149camptramp2020-04-26 00:28

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3150. #3150Truck Shop2020-04-26 21:23

    Didn't know where to put this photo so it ended up here. Nice black and white.

  3151. #3151camptramp2020-04-26 22:58

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2002

  3152. #3152camptramp2020-04-27 23:29

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2002 1st & 2nd pictures #40-140 P16 Pacific with lowbed 7280 Cypress Log Loader on lowbed #40-96 P16 Pacific push truck . Dave Whiskin & loader operator Brian Scholz in picture . 3rd & 4th picture is #40-139 P16 Pacific with lowbed #54-85 075 Madill log loader on lowbed at Gordon River Shop .

  3153. #3153camptramp2020-04-29 00:01

    Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. June 28 2002 The last Wagoner log stacker on the lowbed about to leave to meet a barge at Sarita River 2rd picture Rolli Auger , Rob Wilson , Tom Worth . Dave Janzen , Dennis (Digger) Fothergil Doug Knott and Wes Mckehnie 3rd picture Rolli Auger , Dave Janzen , Doug Knott and Dave Whiskin . The end of the DLS , the end of an era . The attitude and changes made to Timberwest by the people behind the Mahogany Desks in town has trickled down to the crew in Camp , these are the last pictures Dave took at HBO !

  3154. #3154petepilot2020-04-29 00:36

    hope this is not the last of the pics . really some eye opening scenes

  3155. #3155camptramp2020-04-29 23:14

    At the present I'm out of pictures . I have some friends and acquaintance's I have been in contact with , who have pictures . But due to the COVID 19 virus going around , I'm staying close to home . (6 feet apart or 6 feet under) So when I feel things are better I'll see if I can get posting again .

  3156. #3156petepilot2020-04-29 23:22

    by all means stay safe ct. thanks for posting and look forward to more soon

  3157. #3157Brianna Balogh2020-09-02 04:26

    You have a photo of my Dad who passed away. He is in the middle, George Balogh. Any chance you have this photo still or any other photos with him? Thank you!

  3158. #3158DB22020-09-02 04:50

    Welcome to HEF Brianna!

  3159. #3159Brianna Balogh2020-09-02 04:55

    Thank you!

  3160. #3160East of Hill 602020-11-20 23:56

    My dad was friends with Jack Cottrill way back when. I remember as a young kid, Jack came by our farm with his new sublime green Dodge Super Bee, I think it was 1970 or so. Dad was a mechanic and helped install a set of glass packs and a few other performance upgrades. I fondly recall riding in the backseat as we went for a test run up highway 18 which was pretty much brand new back then. It was one fast car but I don't think it lasted very long before it ended up wrapped around a pole (or maybe a tree). My dad used to refer to Jack as "a bit haywire" which was something coming from my dad. They were two peas in a pod. I really liked Jack and he was a hell of a character. Thanks for the memories...

  3161. #3161camptramp2020-11-21 00:44

    Jack was a character alright , anything he got in the drivers seat of was flat out immediately . If you could keep up to him , chances are you were going to fast . But he could pull it off . One time he missed a switch back with the #40-131 (formerly BCFP #6-261) P16 Pacific . He called the shop in a voice as cool calm as could be " I missed a switch back with the 131 she's over the bank " like he was calling in about a flat tire . He was getting on when I worked with him , and he was still tough as nails . Last time I seen him he was getting pretty crippled up , was sad to see . I hope the pains gone and he's resting in peace . Another great "Timber Beast" gone to the Berry Patch in the sky .

  3162. #3162camptramp2021-02-03 22:41

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Art Nickerson standing in front of #40-139 a 1979 P16 Pacific preloader ( BCFP #6-263 )

  3163. #3163camptramp2021-02-04 22:08

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 P16 Pacific driver Art Nickerson loading at #54-75 log Loader Harris Cr. 3000 1994

  3164. #3164camptramp2021-02-05 22:40

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1994 #40-139 P16 Pacific being unloaded at Honeymoon Bay DLS driver Art Nickerson .

  3165. #3165skyking12021-02-05 22:59

    Love checking in on this thread, and that you guys took cameras and the time to document this. What is a preloader?

  3166. #3166camptramp2021-02-05 23:48

    If you look along the side of the #40-139 , you can see an object hanging down from the outside of the front bunk . What you can see is a "Preload leg " . The front bunk is attached to the back bunk on trailer by a steel tube called a reach There is a hydraulic ram under the front bunk on that log truck , there is also a fifth wheel table on top of that ram . Attached to the under side of the center of the front bunk is a "King Pin" that is locked to the fifth wheel table . The ram is used to lift the front bunk up high enough allow the preload legs (That are held in the up position with a simple heavy pin ) to be swung down and a pin placed to hold it in down position . The front bunk is lowered , the foot on the bottom of preload leg sits on the ground . Air and water lines unhooked , the locking device on Fifth wheel Table released . The log truck can leave an empty or loaded trailer sitting on landing or wide place on side of road and hook up to the lowbed trailer or another logging trailer . On a conventional logging truck the front bunk is permanently attached to the frame of the log truck . The trailer reach is hooked to the back of the truck frame . Once a conventional log truck is loaded the logs are there until they are dumped , the truck can not be separated from trailer .

  3167. #3167skyking12021-02-06 00:34

    Thanks I would not have picked up on that detail otherwise. I have been around conventional bunk trucks and know they usually go into a shop to get ready to do lowboy duties, etc. That sounds really handy. I am familiar with how a road truck reach works, how the stinger floats and how you can tune it so it tracks corners like magic, it seems. We want to travel the island when we retire, hopefully I can stand next to some of those trucks.

  3168. #3168diamondtguy2021-02-06 15:46

    Preloader and trailer pic

  3169. #3169skyking12021-02-06 15:52

    Thank you!

  3170. #3170camptramp2021-02-06 16:59

    I'm quite sure that was originally a CZ P16 Pacific from Nanaimo Lakes Div. #40-91 That was moved to Timberwest HBO , then ended up with Island Pacific in the Alberni area .

  3171. #3171camptramp2021-02-06 21:57

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Harris Cr. 3000 1994 . 7220 American Log Loader , 7280 Cypress Grapple Yarder .

  3172. #3172camptramp2021-02-08 11:32

    Art Nickerson Collection Doman Industries Mack logging truck .

  3173. #3173camptramp2021-02-10 22:49

    Art Nickerson Collection #6-139 P16 Pacific at 3000 Harris Cr. 1994 Note old Hayes HDX in back ground . That's one of Caycuse's old trucks , I'm sure that was the Hayes HDX that Island Pacific Logging painted up for Alberni's Hayes days a few years ago .

  3174. #3174camptramp2021-02-12 21:34

    Art Nickerson Collection A view from the top of Harris Cr. 3000 , 1994

  3175. #3175camptramp2021-02-12 21:41

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1994 Harris Cr 3000 Art unloading the preload trailer off #40-139 P16 Pacific , Loader #54-75 is a 7220 American operated by Garnet Margetish , Grapple Yarder is #52-45 is a 7280 Cypress operated by Howard Donahue .

  3176. #3176camptramp2021-02-13 22:47

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Harris Cr. 3000 1994 #40-139 P16 Pacific log truck , #54-75 American log loader .

  3177. #3177camptramp2021-02-15 21:54

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. February 1995 Old Harris Creek Camp Heli Landing , Helicopter shown capable of lifting 25 tons cost 6,000 per hour .

  3178. #3178camptramp2021-02-17 00:01

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 1995 #40-139 P16 Pacific driver Art Nickerson with a load of logs from Old Harris Creek Camp Heli Landing at "Old Hillcrest Gate" on Harris Cr. M/L ( now the Pacific Marine Route)

  3179. #3179camptramp2021-02-17 22:32

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. March 1995 Art Nickerson driving #40-139 P16 Pacific turning lowbed trailer around at "Old" Harris Creek Camp Heli Landing

  3180. #3180camptramp2021-02-19 23:13

    Art Nickerson Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 P16 Pacific Art Nickerson with a nice load out side main shop at Gordon River Camp . April 1995

  3181. #3181skyking12021-02-20 09:33

    I can just imagine these guys, hey will you take a picture of me with this load? Sure! It's more like family and less like company out in the camp life.

  3182. #3182camptramp2021-02-20 21:45

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 with a nice load at Gordon River shop , April 1995 .

  3183. #3183camptramp2021-02-21 23:05

    Stopping to take a picture of a picture load is more of an exception , than an every day event . Many are the times , when I got to the DLS , the DLS crew were not pleased at some of the loads I hauled from Les Hillyard . I would return for my next load and Les would sheepishly say " that last load was to big " the DLS crew complained again . So Les would cut back the loads for awhile , then start sneaking a couple more logs per load again until he got told to cut back . Those loads and many others were never recorded on film . If we were hauling from the Camper Cr. area , looking out at the Pacific Ocean to Honeymoon Bay DLS , there wasn't much time to dilly dally , to make two loads day in a reason able amount of time .

  3184. #3184camptramp2021-02-21 23:09

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 1995 #40-139 P16 Pacific Being unloaded at Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  3185. #3185John C.2021-02-22 00:03

    Is that an L90 Wagner having to split a load?

  3186. #3186Hayesno12021-02-22 12:54

    It is a Wagner and it looks like a L90 model but I have been wrong before

  3187. #3187big ben2021-02-22 15:33

    Most L90 don’t have that style triangle boom IIRC. That more likely would be a L115 or L120 and seeing how L120 model was the lions share of Wagner’s in the territory in the days of those pics, I’m going with L120

  3188. #3188John C.2021-02-22 17:46

    Either way, why would it need to split a load? The L90 capacity is 90,000 pounds while the L120 is 120,000 pounds.

  3189. #3189camptramp2021-02-22 23:45

    I'm not sure what size of a Wagner it is , it use to take 3 bites to unload most "Off Highway" trucks 16 foot bunks and 8 foot stakes "Peaked up" . Part of that reason being that the operator would try not to spear any logs trying to push the Forks through the load . That machine has no trouble lifting a load off a 7 axle highway truck . At one time the Caycuse Div. DLS hard a larger Wagner Stacker that could get its tusks around an Off Highway truck I drove with 13 6 foot bunks with 8 foot stakes with the load rounded off . The stacker would put its forks and tusks around the load and take a lift . It could not lift the load , but we would trip the stakes and the stacker would drag the load off the bunks . I'm not sure what an Off Highway load of logs would weigh , but we averaged 95 plus Meters per load . A highway tridem tridem use to average around 42 meters per load .

  3190. #3190camptramp2021-02-22 23:50

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Truck is #40-139 P16 Pacific Art Nickerson driver Loader is 54-85 Madill 075 Super Snorkel Ernie Harrison operator .

  3191. #3191camptramp2021-02-23 23:29

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. P16 Pacific in picture was an ex Pat Carson Bull Dozing truck originally , but when this picture was taken , it was probably owned by Hayes Forest . I don't know what happened here , but this confirms my belief that when traveling on a Forest Industry Haul road , driving an HDX Hayes or P16 Pacific takes the worry out of getting to close on a narrow road .

  3192. #3192John C.2021-02-23 23:53

    No CB radio?

  3193. #3193camptramp2021-02-24 00:54

    Within the Tree Farm license's we operated in , we ran on a VIH 2 way radio channel federally issued and controlled in that area . To legally use that radio channel required a letter of permission from the holder of the license . Some people that used the road net work on a regular basis would get permission and have the channel installed in their personal VIH radio , some others would fudge the system and have the channel installed . As access was uncontrolled to the Industrial Roads we used , there was a lot of tourist traffic . We have check points that we called out on our radio channel to keep track of where the logging trucks were , but one had to drive into the corners with the attitude that there would be a vehicle coming at you faster than road conditions would allow . Not often , but sometimes things didn't work out in every ones favour .

  3194. #3194John C.2021-02-24 09:39

    In this area the CB is the radio of choice to avoid the sudden meetings on the gravel. Most logging roads will have a sign that gives the CB channel the truckers are using on that road. There are 40 channels on the CB so you don't get much cross talk from other nearby roads. Along the road there will be number signs that you call out as you pass them. The truck drivers will call out as empty if they are coming into the woods and as loaded when leaving the woods. There is no license for using a CB as it is only good for about five miles of reach at best and those radios are pretty cheap. When thought of as a safety system, it is probably the cheapest and best use of money to avoid an accident that could cost someone their life.

  3195. #3195camptramp2021-02-24 22:55

    Its interesting to hear about what works in other situations . The area that we worked in was at one time 2 BCFP Divisions Renfrew and Caycuse in though's days each Div. had its own VHF radio channel . After Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP the 2 Divisions became one . The area ranged from the Lake Cowichan area to Nitinat Lake to Port Renfrew and also some Blocks of timber in the Shawnigan Lake area . Unless your down in the bottom of a deep canyon , the VHF signal carries a long distance . For radio coverage over the whole area , there was a "Repeater" situated on top of a high mountain . Our radio's had 2 channels Repeat and Direct . When talking to the loader or traveling on the logging roads I used the direct channel . If I was responding to the Dispatcher or Shop or Office , I would switch to the repeater channel . The system actually used 2 channels . The Direct channel was from radio to radio , the repeater channel transmitted on a channel that the repeater received then transmitted on the direct channel . I guess the only real advantage would be that , one was always a where of what was going on in the Division . The VHF system is the only one I'm familiar with , it was in place when I started in the Woods and still is . I'm sure there are "CB's" around , but I haven't had anything to do with them .

  3196. #3196skyking12021-02-24 23:16

    The CB was cheap and available to all. Although there used to be lots of closed logging with off road trucks back in the day, the typical operation is highway capable trucks and roads that any idiot can wander up. The CB did indeed save lives on these roads, along with the waypoint signs and channel signs the system worked. The few times I went up an active logging road without one, I had the window down, would slow down and take turnouts and listen for downhill trucks before moving up.

  3197. #3197John C.2021-02-24 23:17

    Before cell phones, there was VHF in the mechanic trucks down here. Everyone hated them. When you had to get through to someone, it wouldn't. When you were on your way home on Friday night they worked perfect. Oh, would you swing by and check on so and so. Says his engine had a hick up. Turns out to be a rod ejection through the side of the block. They call and get a swing motor on the way and you were stuck for working another day and half to three days doing a swap. Get a couple of flat tires and the radio couldn't get out so you could get a tow truck or even a tire guy. I got to where I would shut the thing off and tell them it didn't work from Thursday to Monday. At least the CB would get someone driving on the main highway once in awhile and they could make a phone call when they came by a phone booth.

  3198. #3198camptramp2021-02-25 23:48

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 1995 Sikorsky Helicopter flying turns of logs into Old Harris Creek Camp Heli Landing . Using a Grapple .

  3199. #3199camptramp2021-02-26 21:40

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. April 1995 Sikorsky Helicopter using Chokers to fly turns of logs into Old Harris Creek Camp Heli Landing .

  3200. #3200camptramp2021-02-27 22:52

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. August 19,1994 #40-126 HDX Hayes ended up on its side in ditch on Kissinger M/L while moving one half of a Steel Bridge on an extened preload trailer.

  3201. #3201camptramp2021-02-28 23:13

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div August 1994 #40-126 HDX Hayes on its side on Kissinger M/L

  3202. #3202JPV2021-03-01 13:52

    I don't know anything about this, a buddy randomly sent it so I figured I would post it here, based on the grin of the driver he knows it's a little on the rediculous side...

  3203. #3203Welder Dave2021-03-01 15:30

    The VIA 9GAG.COM pretty much confirms it's a fake pic.

  3204. #3204camptramp2021-03-01 23:41

    I was wondering about it . If it were real , there is a lot of weight on that left front stake leaning out like it is .

  3205. #3205camptramp2021-03-01 23:44

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. August 1994 #40-126 HDX Hayes . Kissinger M/L

  3206. #3206skyking12021-03-02 00:42

    when you get em upside down you really know how much extra crap you are packing around.

  3207. #3207DB22021-03-02 05:07

    Is that the engine stop cable dangling in there about 2 feet long ?

  3208. #3208camptramp2021-03-02 10:05

    That is either the engine shut down or the emergency engine shut down . That truck had a V12 Detroit in it the engine shut down is to cut off the fuel , the emergency shut down cuts off the air supply in case of an engine "Run away" . When things go wrong some times things get a little hectic for a few seconds . The main thing is to save the engine .

  3209. #3209skyking12021-03-02 10:10

    yes looks like a two hand operation on that particular cable. Detroits can throw a blower seal and run away on engine oil.

  3210. #3210DB22021-03-02 12:17

    It looks like a valiant attempt was made to save her.

  3211. #3211camptramp2021-03-02 22:09

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3212. #3212camptramp2021-03-03 22:53

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Rob Norman (a third generation Logger , his Grandfather was Henry Norman who came to British Columbia as the Rigger on the first Skidder . His Father was Head Rigger at Caycuse . Rob is a former Slackline , Longline Steel Tower Operator who is now driving Logging Truck ) standing by a nice stick of Fir .

  3213. #3213camptramp2021-03-04 21:34

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. #54-66 American 7220 log loader operator Brian Scholtz

  3214. #3214camptramp2021-03-05 23:34

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. Art Nickerson and family checking out #40-139 P16 Pacific with a fr esh coat of paint and a new Signature 600 Cummins engine .

  3215. #3215camptramp2021-03-06 22:25

    Art Nickerson Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 P16 Pacific on the road repowered with a fresh coat of paint .

  3216. #3216camptramp2021-03-07 22:07

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 P16 Pacific driver Art Nickerson 1st picture is what the driver of an Off Highway Log Truck sees when he pulls on to the Gordon River bridge about 4 miles from the "Old Renfrew Camp" on the Gordon River M/L . 2nd picture is what an Off Highway Log Truck looks like pulling on to the Gordon River bridge pulling Lowbed with a 7280 Cypress Grapple Yarder on board . I wish Art had taken a picture of the river below . When one is on that bridge your in the nose bleed section !

  3217. #3217camptramp2021-03-08 21:47

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #54-75 American 7220 Log Loader operator Garnet Margetish . This picture was taken in 1994 or 95 , this log loader has an interesting history , it was new at a BCFP Camp Silver River on Harrison Lake in 1974. Originally #16-15 . On the way from camp to the woods before it loaded a log , it toppled off the lowbed and was almost a write off . When Silver River Camp was shut down in 1982 , it was moved to BCFP Renfrew Div. and still loading logs 20 years later .

  3218. #3218camptramp2021-03-09 23:07

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #40-139 P16 Pacific . Drivers view when pushing an Off Highway Lowbed with 7220 American Log Loader on board . In the Summer the dust is so thick , one can hardly see the raised loading ramps . In winter time the truck one is driving is being covered with the mud spray coming off trailer tires . Every once in a while one gets lucky pushing the lowbed , the day after it has rained , before the road dry's out . No matter the road conditions one keeps the trucks front bumper against the push bar on the lowbed trailer . Or stay back out of the dust . If one is following the lowbed a short distance behind and the lowbed driver decides to brake , your going to get a rude awakening .

  3219. #3219camptramp2021-03-10 22:48

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. Sikorsky Helicopter hard at work .

  3220. #3220camptramp2021-03-11 23:06

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Sikorsky Helicopter lifting logs up to a landing on top of Granite Creek .

  3221. #3221camptramp2021-03-11 23:10

    Art Nickerson Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  3222. #3222camptramp2021-03-12 23:03

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. The view the driver gets through the windshield of an Off Highway pushing the Lowbed in fairly decent conditions .

  3223. #3223camptramp2021-03-12 23:07

    Art Nickerson Collection , Timberwest HBO Div. When the Sun comes out so do the camera's . But from September to April there are many days the weather is like this one .

  3224. #3224Hallback2021-03-13 00:04

    I love that Skagit. Wayne Stone bought all of those Bomans when they were auctioned off. They are BIG!

  3225. #3225camptramp2021-03-30 22:04

    Rob Norman Collection Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. late 1980's Caycuse Camp Office .

  3226. #3226camptramp2021-03-31 10:59

    Rob Norman Collection , Fletcher Challenge late 1980's , Caycucse Div. Power Saw Shop at Caycucse Camp .

  3227. #3227camptramp2021-04-03 10:55

    Rob Norman Collection Caycuse Camp Fire Hall 1980's

  3228. #3228camptramp2021-04-08 11:57

    Rob Norman Collection pictures taken by Al Lundgren Timberwest HBO Div. #40-131 P16 Pacific mi ssed a switch back on F12 in 4 Mile area of Caycuse River drainage .

  3229. #3229petepilot2021-04-08 20:37

    ya ain`t suposta ta parkem like that

  3230. #3230skyking12021-04-09 00:07

    gonna take a little more than baling wire to fix that front axle. Notice the headlights popped out too. She took a hit!

  3231. #3231diamondtguy2021-04-09 02:09

    Wow...rough ride..She took a good hit..Must have been fairly new as the side panels are still in use...Looks like a standard 12V71 truck but i see a large air start tank on the right side..not a common sight.

  3232. #3232camptramp2021-04-09 10:53

    That P16 was a BCFP Caycuse truck new #6-261 1978 or 1979 . the mishap was in the late 1990's . The truck had a "Jacked up" natural 12V 71 originally , after a trip to town for a rebuild it came back to work with a twin turbo 12V71 .

  3233. #3233Tugger22021-04-09 23:03

    A ride of terror for the driver . Did it have air start or was that a hyd. tank for another logging adaptation?

  3234. #3234camptramp2021-04-11 10:54

    Rob Norman Collection pictures taken by Al Lundgren , Timberwest HBO Div . Recovery of #40-131 P16 Pacific on F12 using #54-85 Madill 075 operated by Ernie Harrison .

  3235. #323564Pacific2021-04-29 10:35

    Hello everyone, I am looking for photos of the Old tug Malaspina Straits along with any drawings or information. I would like to build an RC model of it. According to a couple of websites it is still doing its thing on the west coast, as of this writing it is moored in Campbell River. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...mmsi:316005415/imo:0/vessel:MALASPINA_STRAITS Thanks!

  3236. #3236camptramp2021-05-09 17:40

    Rob Norman Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Skagit Model 199 on top of M 10 off McLure M/L I believe this was the largest Skagit that HBO had acquired , which was capable of holding 5000 feet of skyline . Unfortunately it was scrapped when Timberwest changed its top management and its future corporate direction . Ernie Harrison is loading out from a Grapple Yarder with the #54-85 a Madill 075 super Snorkel . Right side of picture against skyline .

  3237. #3237Hallback2021-05-09 18:01

    The 199 was the ultimate Skagit. 13 were produced & I know of only three remaining. That is my dream yarder.

  3238. #3238Hallback2021-05-09 18:01

    So sad that they got scrapped.

  3239. #3239TorkelH2021-05-15 14:17

    Thats one more than me! Will you tell me about the third one? The one in the picture I think was traveling the world, from California to Alaska, so Tasmania, and then back over the Pacific to Canada. Second or third built. If I am not remembering wrong also the same as used in the original ad. Skagit probably built two with left hand mtd cab around 1980. One of them was at MMB Kelsey Bay and there's a few pictures of it on internet. About the other one I know nothing, other than I heard a rumor it was sold directly to a quarry. I think it may be a small chance both of them still is in existence in a quarry.

  3240. #3240Hallback2021-05-15 19:43

    Wayne Stone has two of them. He is running the one in the burn outside of Molalla Oregon

  3241. #3241Hallback2021-05-15 19:44

    The other one is in a pit in the Canadian interior.

  3242. #3242TorkelH2021-05-16 05:49

    Ok, have you seen a picture of the one in the pit, or is it only the same rumor as I have going rounds? If it has the large radiator and left hand cab it is either the Kelsey Bay machine or the other last one built. I also know about one other BU-199 in MMB Eve River that was heavily rebuilt/refurbished in the US mid nineties. Between others it got a sliding cab. I think I have heard that Saratoga Ventures in Campbell River scrapped one from the Chemainis auction in 2004. That machine was painted red over blue, and my guess is that it was the Mike Graves/AK/Tasmania/BCFP-machine. No tracks of the Kelsey Bay machine though.

  3243. #3243Hallback2021-05-16 09:07

    I was under the impression that Mike's machine went to the interior as a drag? I have personally had my hands on the two down here. One is a runner, the other has sadly been robbed for parts. Is the MMB Eve River machine still operating?

  3244. #3244Hallback2021-05-16 09:08

    Or is it still in operable condition?

  3245. #3245HD Mech2021-05-17 02:00

    The Eve River machine was cut up in 98 I believe. I was working night shift at the shop and would see the trailers of pieces leaving our boneyard. It was quite sad.

  3246. #3246Hallback2021-05-17 13:41

    Absolutely horrible especially considering that machine was probably only 15 years old at that time.

  3247. #3247Tugger22021-05-17 13:52

    Its a sad sign of the times. Labor is too expensive to run or fix this stuff or so the story reads these days.

  3248. #3248skyking12021-05-17 16:55

    And by labor you don't just mean any old body off the street. So much knowledge is lost year by year. They aren't making people like you, tugger. Do you have a young apprentice that's picking up everything?

  3249. #3249Tugger22021-05-17 18:14

    Id like to but i think im getting ornery to be around now.

  3250. #3250skyking12021-05-17 19:55

    Okay maybe I'll come apprentice with you we can get mad at each other and it's fids at 15 paces! I got two bad shoulders so you'll probably be pretty safe.

  3251. #3251Tugger22021-05-17 20:48

    Ok your on! I actually do ok with ones that think,im just getting tired of no ambition coupled with no brain.

  3252. #3252TorkelH2021-05-18 04:26

    I think I got the copy of this fax from Saratoga Ventures. In the bottom you can see date and sender, M&B Kelsey Bay Jan. 25. 1999. So probably it was scrapped at your place and sent to SV, they again wanted some information about the parts. I have never seen a picture of this machine. Another qestion is: did M&B actually cut up ALL the long lines about 1998, instead of selling them off? I remember visiting Sproat Lake spring 1999, someone told me all the longlines and highleads were gone. Today it's impossible to find any information on any of the M&B spars after that. Beside the remains of an old BU-99 used at Sproat in the boneyard of Lemare Lake Logging, 3 Madill 046 longlines from Franklin/Cameron and the Skagits at Kelsey Bay are completely disappeared. They also had quite a few Madill tension skidders around, that just disappeared the same way a couple of years earlier.

  3253. #3253Tugger22021-05-18 08:31

    Reading that makes the story even sadder. Scrapping was probably ordered by some beancounter to avoid recaptured depreciation. Makes a guy wonder about absolute waste of resources over paperwork.

  3254. #3254John C.2021-05-18 09:33

    Just some random thoughts on the issue. I've seen something like that in the past and wondered how it made sense to cut something up for scrap value which may be as little as one percent of the original cost as opposed to a salvage or basement value which might be as much as twenty percent of the original cost. Surely, your government wouldn't be able to take that entire salvage value as a recapture unless there were funny business on the books before hand. I would think an auditor would be able to recognize scrapping machinery as a red flag that things need to be checked out more carefully.

  3255. #3255Hallback2021-05-18 09:47

    That was a brand new yarder. That makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Even by 1998 prices that machine was worth $350k USD.

  3256. #3256Tugger22021-05-18 09:52

    Maybe i have overstated the recaptured depreciation, it would actually apply to the amount the machine might be sold intact for after it had been written off on the books.Stated simply there seems to be no incentive to save anything under our tax system , even though green this and green that is preached to us all.

  3257. #3257John C.2021-05-18 09:58

    I'm not sure that you have overstated it at all. I have been asked to consult on this issue a couple of times here in the states. I believe a tax system has been made far to complex when it encourages the destruction of usable assets only for the purpose bleeding money out of a company.

  3258. #3258Tugger22021-05-18 10:27

    Agreed. Winding down now for retirement, i shudder to think what the tax man has in store for me.

  3259. #3259Hallback2021-05-18 10:56

    I know it's the wrong thread, but some of us still use & love a Skagit.

  3260. #3260TorkelH2021-05-18 18:47

    You are a true Skagit-patriot, Hallback!

  3261. #3261Hallback2021-05-18 19:15

    I do love 'em.

  3262. #3262Former Wrench2021-05-19 13:20

    Is that the same machine that was parked at the S Aberdeen shop last week? If so. where is it working now?

  3263. #3263Hallback2021-05-19 14:16

    Yes it is. It's outside Pe Ell now.

  3264. #3264Hayesno12021-10-15 16:53

    Just a few from The Island

  3265. #3265Hayesno12021-10-15 16:56
  3266. #3266Hallback2021-10-15 17:57

    Oh how I would love that line horse.

  3267. #3267camptramp2021-10-15 18:08

    Not absolutely certian , but that looks like the former Timberwest HBO linehorse . If it is , its the old Caycuse winch mounted on the ex BCFP #6-245 or #6-246 which were new at BCFP's Jervis Inlet Malibu Division.

  3268. #3268Hallback2021-10-15 19:41

    Who has that horse now? I want it!

  3269. #3269Truck Shop2021-10-15 20:09

    I'm pretty sure this guy ^^^^wants that line horse! What do the rest of you folks think?

  3270. #3270Hallback2021-10-15 20:16

    I wouldn't mind having it, well if that guy above doesn't want it....

  3271. #3271Truck Shop2021-10-15 21:00

    Well you could sweeten the deal-throw in a years supply of french toast with powdered sugar.

  3272. #3272Hallback2021-10-15 21:03

    With REAL Maple syrup!

  3273. #3273Truck Shop2021-10-15 21:13

    Is there such a thing as real maple syrup?

  3274. #3274Hallback2021-10-15 21:22

    I was hoping one of those Canadians would chime in, you know the Maple leaf guys?

  3275. #3275skyking12021-10-15 21:30

    (sends his secret Canadian half-brother to go scrounge up this line horse)

  3276. #3276skyking12021-10-15 22:14

    It is safe from brother William, he never strays far from North Van

  3277. #3277Hayesno12021-10-16 03:02

    Island Pacific Logging owned her when I took picture at Sarita in 2012. I think she went for sale some years ago…

  3278. #3278Hayesno12021-10-16 03:07

    More pics from Sarita

  3279. #3279Hayesno12021-10-16 03:13

    More pics of Hayes HDX linehorse

  3280. #3280Hayesno12021-10-16 03:16
  3281. #3281camptramp2021-10-16 10:43

    That is the ex BCFP #6-245 , ex Timberwest #40-125

  3282. #3282Hayesno12021-10-17 03:39
  3283. #3283petepilot2021-10-18 20:23

    1st pic. You couldn't ask for a better looking hwy. Load

  3284. #3284Hallback2021-10-18 20:47

    I may beg to differ.

  3285. #3285Jumbo2021-10-18 22:09

    Back at the "line horse," Weyerhaeuser at Snoqualmie had a similar truck, only on an old highway (1960) truck. It was only called the "bull gang truck. It didn't have an A frame. But, it did have a level wind used when picking up guylines or worn lines. We never used it when tightening up guylines, which happened every so often. I am curious, I know of only one other truck set up with a level wind. that truck I saw once down at Crown Z Deep River. How common was an A frame or a level wind?

  3286. #3286Hallback2021-10-18 22:24

    Jumbo, That Deep River truck ended up at Jerry DeBriae.

  3287. #3287camptramp2021-12-10 00:52

    Rob Norman Collection I'm not sure when or where this picture was taken . The climber Rigger is Hap Johnson and he is climbing a huge Spruce Tree . All I can say is WOW !

  3288. #3288Bumpsteer2021-12-10 02:07

    Holy crap, can't imagine climbing that...one tough guy. Ed

  3289. #3289Jumbo2021-12-10 02:19

    More than likely the photo is somewhere on the Mt. St. Helens Tree Farm out of Longview. Hap did most of his climbing for Weyerhaeuser. In those days the tree had to have a minimum 40" top. That is one ugly spruce. It must have taken two tanks of gas just to cut the limbs to the appropriate height. Guessing by the saw, it was in the mid 60s since before that small saw were pretty much nonexistent. At Snoqualmie, the climbers used hand saws and axes right up until the late 60s as the company would not buy small saws I watched one climber take the top out with a hand saw. Possibly the last tree topped at Snoqualmie.

  3290. #3290Hallback2021-12-10 07:29

    If I remember correctly that photo was at Grays River. Not positive but I think I remember hearing that.

  3291. #3291camptramp2021-12-10 12:32

    Rob Norman Collection Here is a picture I found amongst Rob's pictures . I wonder if this is related to the picture of Hap Johnson and did the same Hap Johnson Jumbo referred to spend some time on the North end of Vancouver Island .

  3292. #3292Hayesno12022-08-27 02:37
  3293. #3293John Shipp2022-09-18 04:43
  3294. #3294Hayesno12022-09-22 14:59

    Is that double A-frame close to Port Alice?

  3295. #3295Hayesno12022-09-22 15:02
  3296. #3296John Shipp2022-09-22 15:14

    Yes, across the other side of the inlet. At least it was 4 years ago...

  3297. #3297Hayesno12022-09-22 15:22

    Okay - it make sence - I was there this year nothing left - and no contractor trucks after the Paper Mill in Port Alice. Demolition of mill was going on - sad to see - and gravelroad around to the A-frame acoross the intet was in poor shape.

  3298. #3298John Shipp2022-09-22 15:28

    It is very sad, as my wife and I loved the feel of Port Alice. I believe the mill had already closed when we were there, and the effects being seen on the village. Very sad, for people who live there or might wish to. The A-frame looked like a well built piece of equipment.

  3299. #3299camptramp2022-11-30 23:35

    Bruce Ridley a long time Cowichan Valley Logger Has loan us some pictures he took while working for Hayes Forest Service . Bruce Ridley driving #H458 HDX Hayes loaded off Edinburgh M/L on to Gordon River M/L

  3300. #3300John C.2022-12-01 00:00

    Now that is a stack of logs!

  3301. #3301Hayesno12023-02-05 08:52

    Big lowbed in Holberg

  3302. #3302Hayesno12023-02-11 16:05

    Huge lowbed being rebuild - 120 ton?

  3303. #3303Jumbo2023-02-11 17:39

    Seeing the hydraulic connections for the ramps I assume, where was the pump when being hauled around by a log truck? On the trailer itself? I never thought of it until I saw those bright new hydraulic connectors.

  3304. #3304camptramp2023-02-11 23:20

    Most of the logging trucks used for lowbedding were Preloaders with 5th wheels and were set up with hydraulic rams to change logging trailers , so there were PTO hydralic pumps built into the drivertrain .

  3305. #3305Jumbo2023-02-11 23:34

    Thanks, learned something new.

  3306. #3306camptramp2023-02-11 23:56

    There was a hydraulic ram under the 5th wheel to lift the front bunk up to put the preload legs down under the front bunk . Then lower the load onto the preload legs , unhook the 5th wheel and drive out from under load . Then reverse the operation to hook up to an empty trailer . Some trailers were loaded onto the truck using a winch (run by hydraulics) or hydraulic rams . One thing we had to be sure to do was lower the 5th wheel down to bottom , before loading an empty trailer or it could cause significant damage .

  3307. #3307Hayesno12023-02-12 02:38
  3308. #3308Hayesno12023-02-12 02:39
  3309. #3309Paystar2023-02-13 08:34

    I've got a question for you all that have driven these big fat trucks. What kind of average speed did you run out hauling logs on those roads? I got thinking about it after they got a couple new Western Star 6900XD dump trucks at the mine I work at. They have Cummins X15 525/1850 and the older ones have C15 Cat's with Allison auto's and 110,000 rears. I can't remember the gearing but they can run 60 KPH and not very much more and we load up to 60 metric Tonnes on them, so they are grossing 100 tonne. But on all our hills they drop right to first gear and can basically only crawl. Not sure what are hills are, but the dash displays in the Cat wiggle wagons show 14 to 15%.

  3310. #3310camptramp2023-02-14 00:37

    Its been awhile , but some HDX Hayes and P16 Pacific's in the area I worked in had 13 to 1 gear ratio's in rear differentials or 15 to 1 gear ratio's . It seems that it was the 15 to i that was used in the trucks I drove . We never had speedometers that worked but I recall seeing on a brass plate maximum speed 42 MPH . I can't remember what gears we used pulling adverse grades with 6x4 standard trans fully loaded , but 2 and 2 would be a safe gear with a natural V12 Detroit . With an Alison power shift trans 1st converter on a hard pull . If the grade wasn't to steep the trans might shift into 1st lock up . I recall a time I was filling in driving logging truck in a camp out of Gold River , there were two HDX Hayes with V12 Detroit's with Alison trans . The truck the steady driver was on dropped a rear differential . There was a spare rear differential in camp , so we spent half the night changing it . The next morning the driver took the truck out for a load , little did we know the replacement differential was a different ratio than the one we took out . By the time truck got back off the hill loaded , both differentials were B/O .

  3311. #3311Paystar2023-02-14 19:43

    Thanks for that Camptramp. Good info. Sounds like they all run about the same.

  3312. #3312Hayesno12023-02-15 13:48
  3313. #3313Hayesno12023-02-17 08:44

    Head Bay

  3314. #3314camptramp2023-08-26 01:19

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Peter has loaned us some pictures to share . Pete started out in the woods at BCFP Renfrew Div. on the rigging setting chokers in the early 1960's . Over the years he worked his way up the rigging jobs to Landing Bucking , then took on a position of Assistant Fire Warden eventually becoming the Camp Fire Warden . These pictures are of Pete giving a Logging Crew a Spring Fire training course .

  3315. #3315camptramp2023-08-26 23:57

    Peter Mortensen Timberwest HBO Fire fighting training

  3316. #3316camptramp2023-08-31 23:15

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  3317. #3317camptramp2023-09-02 18:09

    Peter Mortenesn Collection

  3318. #3318camptramp2023-09-03 23:50

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  3319. #3319camptramp2023-09-04 23:27

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  3320. #3320camptramp2023-09-06 00:22

    Peter Mortensen Collection . Timberwest HBO The suspension Bridge crossing the San Juan River being replaced

  3321. #3321camptramp2023-09-06 23:33

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Replacing the San Juan Bridge

  3322. #3322camptramp2023-09-07 19:42

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Replacing San Juan bridge

  3323. #3323camptramp2023-09-07 19:44

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Replacing San Juan bridge

  3324. #3324Jumbo2023-09-07 21:05

    What was the original (suspension) bridge rated for?

  3325. #3325camptramp2023-09-08 00:57

    I'm not really sure , but anything that could be loaded on an Off Highway Logging Truck or Off Highway Lowbed was hauled across it .

  3326. #3326camptramp2023-09-09 23:18

    Peter Mortensen Collection Pacific Logging Cowichan Div. "A Frame" wet dump on Lake Cowichan at Mesachie Lake B.C.

  3327. #3327Truck Shop2023-09-10 21:46

    Question Camptramp. * Can you tell me anything about this photo-is it real? quite a discussion on another forum about it being photo shopped. * Thanks.

  3328. #3328camptramp2023-09-19 22:28

    Peter Mortensen Collection . I not sure if this picture was taken when Malloch & Mosley owned this 850 Kenworth driven by Billy Spiller or if it was owned by Forestland Industries

  3329. #3329camptramp2023-10-05 22:34

    Peter Mortensen Collection Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. P16 Pacific off highway Preloader .

  3330. #3330camptramp2023-10-05 22:42

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. A Madill 044 was destroyed by fire . I'm not sure if the fire was started in the log deck or if it started on the Grapple Yarder .

  3331. #3331camptramp2023-10-05 22:45

    Peter Mortensen Timberwest HBO Div. Madill 044 fire .

  3332. #3332camptramp2023-10-06 23:57

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. burned up Madill 044

  3333. #3333camptramp2023-10-07 00:00

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. burned up Madill 044

  3334. #3334camptramp2023-10-09 23:52

    Peter Mortensen Collection Fletcher Challenge Renfrew Div. Two HDX Hayes Water Trucks from the early 1960's . The HDX on the right was the #221 a conventional Logging Truck new at BCFP Caycuse Div. The HDX on the left was the #222 a preloader Logging Truck new at BCFP Renfrew Div.

  3335. #3335Hank R2023-10-10 12:58
  3336. #3336exploring2023-10-11 11:41

    Do you know IF there is anything left of the old train? Tried looking around C4 and looking at maps. But I know areas and roads can change. Any other hints on a better spot to start looking

  3337. #3337stumpfarmer2023-10-30 21:55

    Can't remember the dates or names off-hand but was posted on Facebook a while ago and someone confirmed it to be real with a date, location, and name of the driver. I'll have to poke around and see if I can dig up the specifics.

  3338. #3338camptramp2023-12-27 23:13

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. #56-36 Kobellco Hoe Chucker . Looks to be fairly new .

  3339. #3339camptramp2024-01-11 23:12

    Peter Mortensen Collection Timberwest HBO Div. sending out a "water tank" on a Long Line operation

  3340. #3340Hallback2024-01-12 08:34

    Just blows me away how much money there was and how good of operations those were. There's nothing like that down here in the States, timber company greed has us working for free running s**¿ that should have been retired 30 years ago.

  3341. #3341Truck Shop2024-01-12 08:45

    Steve said the same thing.

  3342. #3342Hallback2024-01-12 22:26

    He ain't wrong. How's he doing anyway?

  3343. #3343T-MAR2024-03-02 21:31

    couple of those are at our shop. Nice pictures and hope you had a good visit

  3344. #3344stumpfarmer2025-11-28 12:41

    Almost forgot about this. According to a couple people on facebook, the driver is Terry Ferguson and the picture was taken in Kingcome inlet and hauled about 15km down Kingcome main on a flat stretch. It was around 165 cubic metres of spruce / hemlock / balsam and apparently the driver's side stake got bent during the loading process. Little bit of info for anyone who's been curious over the years.

  3345. #3345T-MAR2025-12-28 15:09

    I think we might have had this one in the truck logger show - certainly remember one with a mural similar to that