Good day people, I have an older model 2002 763 bobcat. I had this machine parked for a couple of years and needed to move it to another location. After parking it for a week. I started seeing a antifreeze leak underneath the belly. So I’m thinking I have to remove all the belly pans, but when I went under and there were no pans to remove, it’s a sealed belly. So I guess the work has to be done on top. And I decided to raise the cab with engine off ,and can’t see where the leak is coming from just a few wet hoses.I also checked the engine compartment but its dry. So my question is: Is it possible and is it safe to raise the cab with the engine running? This way I could probably see where the leak is coming from. regards, Rob
Not really. You would be much better off pressurizing the cooling system with a hand held tester. I think you can borrow one from most auto parts store. That way you can raise the cab, pressurize the system and crawl all over it without the danger of striking the movement levers with part of your body. If you just have to run it, at least get all the wheels off the ground.
I have a 2001 763G and you can run the engine with the cab lifted. Take the two nuts off the front of cab corners, put the seat bar down, and with the park switch in the park position start the engine from outside of the machine. DO NOT push the green operate button which will keep every thing locked up so that the machine cannot move and the controls won't work. Once the engine is running you can lift the cab up and make sure the lock on the right side lift assist cylinder engages to keep it from falling down on you. You may want to drop any bucket off, put the lift arms up and engage the lift arm lock bar in place before you do the above though as that will give you easier access from the sides of the machine. I agree with Vetech63 a pressure tester would be helpful to try to find the leak with the engine off though as you may even hear it hissing which you won't hear with the engine on.
Wow quick reply! I'm thinking what are you talking about( pressurizing). So I did a YouTube search on pressure tester. That would be best without starting the engine. I don’t understand the last thing you recommended. If I just have to run it, at least get all the wheels off the ground. Sorry what do you mean?
He’s talking about jacking it up off of the ground and putting proper jack stands or wood blocks under it so the tires don’t touch the ground. That way it can’t run you over.
Thanks for quick reply! I already lifted the cab yesterday. you said put the seat bar down and park switch in park, Then start the engine. Doesn't putting the seat bar down unlock the operating system? Isn't that dangerous? I started the engine with seat bar up. Why not leave seat bar up? And you also recommend removing or drop bucket off. I never removed the bucket ever on this machine. I tried removing bucket from pulling the two latch levers up and pushing the bucket down and reversing while rubbing the ground and nothing bugged. Is it seized or stuck maybe. Or is there some quick attach button i need to push on joysticks?
Ok understood now, common sense. I do have big wood blocks I used plenty times on my pickup. I usually put on a 45 degree angle so it’s more stable. I should know better. Thanks TCat
Thanks Vetech, TCat explained what you meant about getting wheels off the ground. For saftey
It may not be necessary to put the seat bar down, I may have gotten in the habit of doing that when I was adjusting the sticks with the tires blocked up off of the ground. For that procedure you have to activate all the controls and be able to move the sticks so the lap bar has to be down. Seat bar up or down, it can't move unless you push the green button. Leaving the seat bar up, would add an extra layer of interlock safety though if someone were to try to push the green button though. As far as taking the bucket off, I just don't like a bucket hanging over my head with arms up like a sword of Damocles if I can take it off and lessen the amount of weight and size up there. Just the way I do it. If your machine has a hydraulic cylinder that moves the levers for the quick tach it will have a button or switch somewhere inside to activate it. I don't have that option on my machine so I just lift the two levers, put the bucket on the ground, roll the quick tach plate down (like you are rolling the bucket down), and back out from the bucket or attachment. If that does not work for you, the locking pins are probably not fully disengaging from the tabs on the bucket. The levers should point vertical when the pins are fully retracted out of the bucket tabs.
Ok thanks ,as long as I don’t touch the green button it should be safe. i don’t have a piston for the quick tach, so I release it manually. you mentioned the levers should point vertically. Mine stops at a 60 degree angle even after flooding it with motor oil. I looked underneath and the locking tabs don’t move. I tried hitting with small sledge too. I’m gonna make it sit over night and see in the morning. I’ll spray some wd40 as well.
When you look underneath see if the slanted ends of the pins from the quick tach are retracted up out of the tabs on the bucket quick tach or not. The pins (which are tapered on one side) may be hanging up on the bottom bucket tabs. I have a no-name pallet fork attachment that used to do that until I ground the opening of the tab out a little bigger.
Yes the pins don’t move. That’s weird because if I pull the levers up from top of bucket then the pins are attached to levers and they should move to. If you ground the opening of the bottom bucket tabs wouldn’t the pins be to loose to hold bucket then
You don’t need to grind much off, just enough clearance for the pins to move freely.
can't stress that enough. There was a fatality local here where he was doing exactly what we're talking about here. Using a jack to lift the front to install stands. Jack slipped out and machine (with heavy bucket raised) tipped. Be safe guys.
Ok thanks for the heads up ozarkag. Yes heavy equipment is dangerous.
Fixed my bobcat leak. It was a leaky lift arm bypass valve which i replaced. I thought it was antifreeze because it looked green. I should of sniffed it. thanks to everyones advise.
Thanks for the update and we are glad you didn’t kill yourself in the process. Merry Christmas to ya!
Merry Christmas!