Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rake for John Deere Skidder

seastrike ยท 2005-10-14 20:01

I run a pretty large land clearing/logging crew, that includes a 948G Skidder. The blade on the skidder is never used in landclearing for road work, because I have a dozer to do any of that type work. Most loggers dont have a dozer onsite so they make due with the skidder blade. We grind all all unmerchantable wood/brush/stumps and it would be quite handy to be able to push something with the skidder with a rake instead of a blade. I'd like to buy/make a pin on rake for the skidder blade. Anyone ever seen one of these, know who makes one, or could reccomend some to make one. Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1PSDF3502005-10-14 23:13

    Nice to see another logger around here. What you might consider doing is going to a dozer dealer that sells such root rakes and have one adapted for use on your skidder.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2005-10-18 19:47

    I wanted to post a few manufacturers for you listed in Rock & Dirt, but the wife threw out my issue before I got to read it!! :cussing I'll post them as soon as the next one comes, but it will be a couple of weeks.

  3. #3seastrike2005-10-18 20:19

    Thanks Guys!! I've got of people working on retrofitting a dozer rake for my skidder. Absolulty no one I have talked to has ever seen or heard of a rake on a skidder??? I guess not that many people use skidders in landclearing? I cant imagine working w/o one. I find my guys can clear almost twice as much in a day if they have someone else(skidder) waiting to get the trees and brush out of the way. This way the hoe never has to go backwards.

  4. #4PSDF3502005-10-18 20:23

    Actually lots use them for that. The thing is most also have the dozer and put rake on it. I think probably becuase it is better suited to doing that type work. Where the skidder is best suited to pulling wood.

  5. #5seastrike2005-10-19 18:12

    I'm not talking about doing my raking with a skidder, got a hoe and a dozer for that. I just think it would be handy if it had a rake. There are MANY times when the skidder could create his own pull of clean brush if there was a rake on it. It could also help push wood and stumps(not dirt) to my grinder when things get a little to scattered. We rarley burn so every pull of clean wood is one less I have to haul off

  6. #6CT18fireman2005-10-19 19:18

    I don't have one but I have seen them at the rental yard. I also seem to remember seeing one at the paper recycling mill. I think it had grapples as well so that it could pick up piles of shredding paper.

  7. #7BRL2005-10-20 12:24

    I've never seen what I would call a "rake" as a skid attachment. But there are plenty of companies making grapples, which would work for what you are describing I believe. I also saw an ad for an attachment with a screener set up that shakes some of that soil out, which you also mention as a desire. Here's a link I came across today, and it looks like in one pic it can be used solo, without the regular bucket. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...spagename=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT Here are some links from one of the trade rags I have. I didn't search out the specific grapple products as some of them offer more than one choice, so search their sites: www.loflinfabrication.com Screener attachment: www.abcoveyor.com/pfm http://www.fecon.com/products.asp This one has a skidsteer version of their ripper lol, plus it looks like maybe a rake or grapple type unit in the pics? http://www.leadingedgeattachments.com/

  8. #8CT18fireman2005-10-20 15:56

    The local rental yard calls that a grapple rake, they also have a grapple bucket. To me it is a rake. Not like a landscaping rake for a tractor but a heavy brush clearing rake. As I said I have not used one, but I guess the lot clearing guys use them on the skid steers around here.

  9. #9PSDF3502005-10-20 21:48

    Guys he is not talking about a skid steer. He is talking about a log skidder. So going to local rental yard wont help much. Here is picture of mine that I took a few months ago.

  10. #10BRL2005-10-21 00:04

    Ahhh.... that makes a big difference lol. One or 2 of those links I posted have grapples for those also I believe. By "rake" I was thinking york rake, which one would use to rake the land, vs a grapple which one would use to pick up sticks & stuff lol.

  11. #11CT18fireman2005-10-21 00:08

    Sorry for the mistake. Not sure if one is availavble, but I would bet a company that makes attachments might have something that could be modified. If not some custom work may be in order.

  12. #12Steve Frazier2005-10-21 00:11

    They're called root rakes and they either bolt or pin to the bottom of dozer or loader blades. I've seen them in Rock & Dirt by a number of manufacturers but can't remember any names! :Banghead

  13. #13PSDF3502005-10-21 12:46

    Steve they also make them that go in place of dozer blade. This way all dirt and stuff isn't getting pushed along with stumps. There is dozer up road with one on it i'll get a picture of it and post it.

  14. #14CT18fireman2005-10-21 13:02

    This is what i was talking about. http://www.cabs-rops.com/?source=overture/ I think these "root rakes" as Steve calls them, I call them brush rakes would work.

  15. #15Steve Frazier2005-10-21 16:46

    I've seen those too Dave, it just sounded like seastrike was looking for the bottom piece by his initial post. Funny how everyone who read this had a different idea of what he's talking about! :dizzy

  16. #16PSDF3502005-10-21 19:39

    Steve this is why I figuired he was looking for a rake to replace blade. The no dirt clean piles part.