Ok Massachusetts operators. I have been licenced since back in the late 70's with a 2A licence for heavy equipment. I have also run ForkLifts for all these years which I thought was covered under this licence. I am now being told that NO my licence does not cover forklifts and I now have to go apply and test for a 1C Licence to cover me for a forklift. So basically every time I have run the forklift I have been running it without a licence. Is this the case?? Anyone else ever run into this??
I have not run into that but it was my understanding that you could run everything but a cherry picker and a crane because i have the same one you have.
On mine, since I got it back in the 70's is listed 1C-2A-4A Not sure about the fork lift, although I'm trying to remember if it was optional back then, who knows, too far back to think about,...
What's involved with getting these licenses? Are there tests involved? Practical testing? How about the fee?
When I got mine you had to have a sponser and some time working for the sponser If i remember right but the it was only a paper test and a nice fee .I asked if there was some kind of book like the cdl and they said no at the public saftey office,but i have heard there is a book . But i did it from experiance and knowing that they want to hear sfety all the time long as you keep that in minde you would be all set.
I did the same.. Had a sponsor with the 4A and lucked out and got that too.. 4A is "unrestricted".. However, at the time there were restrictions those I believe was couldn't operate steam powered ( only one left in Boston somewhere) and I couldn't go over 125 ft with a crane, Anything over that height, requires a different license... The 1C you mention, is, hydraulic lifts(ie) forklift. Few years back I sponsored a bunch of guys from the local highway departments.,. They all took written tests, then came to town and for the practical, ran a loader, dry loading and dumping into a six wheeler, they also did dry runs with a 410 Deere hoe... After all this, they got the 2A.. None were given 1C or 4A, as I was in the 70's with a sponsor and the rules of the game at that time...
Written test and a $75 fee and a current physical When I took my Hydraulics Test back in the early 80's it was just a practical test. I had to be sponsored by someone who had a licence and watched me operate. I showed up at the Department of Public Safety Building and was asked 4 questions. Now you have to have a physical, and take a written test.
this is just in ma , not nationwide!!
you see, this is the problem My sponsor had the 4A, means unrestricted for the most part., SO, I get the same, 4A. Some years go by, now it is 10 written and up to 10 oral questions, then the license, the,, 10 written and dry runs on the machines you are to operate. THey came to us, town highway dpt, because we always had 15 guys or so go through that day. I haven't sponsored anyone in about 5 years now, so something could have changed again, I'm not sure of it though..
I just recently took my 1b & 2b test. Its a 50 question test all multiple chose. Know i am going to go for my 1a,2a,4a test which is 100 questions. oh yea you dont need a sponser anymore all you have to have is your 1b and/or 2b license for 6 months.
sitereadysteve I offer a prep. course in 2A hydraulics $100. 3 hour course with a study book .If interested call me @ 508 294 2781