Looking at these ramps for loading my 863F operating weight 7,135lbs http://www.discountramps.com/skid-steer-loader-ramps/p/10-16-120-05-S/ according to the specs on these ramps, they're operating height is between 36"-42" the truck i'm looking to buy (and load the bobcat onto)has a dump bed that looks to be 47" (still have to confirm) I'm guessing that as I drive onto the ramps the truck will settle on the springs. but I'm thinking I could make something to put under the base of the ramps to lessen the angle just in case. Does anyone have experience with something like this? opcorn
Looks like a scary ride to me. Looking at the pic I wonder if the belly of the machine might hang up while loading.
Hmmmm.. a few 'simple' calculations makes me think that you would WANT Ramps of near ~14ft long to get up to a 4ft high End Gate of a truck on a sane incline.. and I suspect that IF you have never 'dangled yourself above the ground' as such before, extra undergarments may also be required!! That is a heckuva height to Load Up To _ but it could be done _ now to do it Safely, that is quite another thing.. Good Luck, please let us know what you decide!!
I have their 12klb, 12' ramps. I wouldn't have a problem loading with then.
Thanks, just found the 12'ers, they seem much better but their specified height range is still 36"-42". http://www.discountramps.com/skid-loader-pin-on-ramps/p/12-16-144-02-S/ what height do you drive up to lumberjack? anything around 47"? have you seen any ramps with 47" in their official height range? It does seem like this could be a little nerve-racking but as long as I stay on the ramps, and they're secured, should be fine, I hope lol. haven't got the truck yet but I might be getting a super deal on it. ..maybe even worth getting a trailer with the money I might save, but I've seen enough photos and videos of guys loading bobcats onto trucks that it makes me seriously consider loading onto truck as an option. Maybe after a few loadings i'll get used to it? The CAT 279C in the photo below, has an operating weight of 9,892lbs My bobcat's operating weight is 7,135lbs I guess with tracks you don't need the ramp to be as long since getting hung up is not really possible? does this look like higher than 42"?
You'd definitely want much longer ramps than 7 or 8' to load 47" tall deck height. My dump trailer is 32" tall and my 8' ramps are just about all the angle I'd like...especially with slick mud on the tires, or if it's been raining and things are wet. IF I'm loading a semi, I load the machine in the dump trailer first, then back my dump trailer to the semi's bed and load it from my trailer with the ramps. Be careful on two fronts: Always take the time to secure them to your vehicle when using them...don't take the risk of loading on unsecured ramps (like I have). Trucks/trailers squat or drift forwards and the ramps can easily slip off leaving you in a bad situation quickly. Also, an expensive set of ramps can develop feet really quickly and disappear, so it's always a pain to lock them when not in use. There are several vids out there, but you could skip the ramps and just do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUvcrL9ojjo
10' is the shortest I was considering until lumberjack pointed out that 12' ones are available. 14' would not only be difficult to store on the truck but also just to lift. however, the price of these ramps is getting up there with a decent used trailer. But then again saving money in the long run with registering/insuring/and maintenance of trailer... how do the "pin-on" ramps compare to the "hook-on"? which would you prefer?
I thought about this for a while but what if you have a load in the truck? Those ramps are huge and heavy. I think thats why 99% of people use a trailer
yeah, i'm beginning to turn back towards getting a trailer. especially that I can probably find a good used trailer for not much more than the cost of the 12' ramps with tax and freight...
The ramps look like they would work in perfect weather conditions. What about mud, rain or ice? Forget about loading when you have metal tracks on your skid steer. My equipment trailer has drop axles and 5' long ramps. I put 3 pieces of flatbar on edge on my ramps to give my skid steer more metal to metal traction. Also those pics of loading show terrain that is level and solid.
A lot of contractors around here are going with the hook trucks and transporting their skids that way due to increased DOT being so nitpicking with minor trailer violations. They get left alone more, so they say. RJ - did you sell your trailer yet? I simply strap my ramps from underneath to avoid a nightmare. I'd strap the hook on too, not sure about the pin on...might be more secure.
hook truck sounds like a great idea but it might still cost more to convert a dump bed into a hook truck than to buy a trailer?
I've never had an issue of a truck being too high with the 12' ramps, however sometimes my flatbed gets low enough to cause a minor issue.
My trailer is still for sale if anyones interested. I saw in the other thread you're in NY. Its a 2007 interstate 10st. If you want any pics just shoot me a text 516 eightfivenine 4505
Saw this and thought it was a cool setup. Would like to see the trailer attached. http://bham.craigslist.org/hvo/4885723174.html
I used my ramps today to help raise my deck height to match the dock height to load the chipper after a trade show.