Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ran out of fuel on my case 850 ????

6t9 camaro ยท 2010-07-10 12:57

Hello there im just wondering what i need to do now that i ran out of diesel ??? I filled up the tank and now it just wont run ? Its a 1984 case 850b loader/dozer. Does anyone have any tips ??? Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1heavylift2010-07-10 13:13

    is there a hand pump on the engine? usually near the fuel filter.. take fuel filter off and fill with fuel... also you may need to bleed the air from the system.... loosen the fuel line nut on the lines at the injector one at a time .. until you have fluid showing at the nut..then tighten

  2. #2ctkiteboarding2010-07-10 13:36

    dont forget fresh fuel filters if you ran the tank down to the bottom im sure they will need replacing

  3. #3ontrac2010-07-10 14:11

    Use a rag with gasoline on it, hold it up to the precleaner (remove lid). crank it and hold the rag tight it will self bleed in just a few seconds. This will not harm the engine like starting fluid.

  4. #4tuney4432010-07-10 17:04

    You definitely have trapped air in the system that needs bleeding.Look by your fuel filter at the highest point for a plug of some sort,that would be the bleeder.You probably have some type of manual pump by/on the filter or close by that you need to pump until you see no more air coming out with your fuel,just a nice stream of diesel is what you want.Don't be afraid to open that bleeder all the way,or almost all the way.When done,tighten that bleeder,pump some more until you can't,and start your engine.

  5. #5thebaz2010-07-11 19:22

    I had a similar problem with my first Case about 30 years ago. I let the tank get low enough for the motor to stop going up a steep hill. There was no lift pump on the motor and I tried priming the filters through the bleed hole. I still couldn't get it to start. Ended up getting the DPA pump rebuilt and still wouldn't run. When the tank was full to the top and I forced fuel down the lines to the filters, she finally started. As the others have advised, fill tank to the top, change filters, and make sure there is fuel running out the bleeder with no bubbles, then close the bleed screw, and she should start. Baz

  6. #6ontrac2010-07-11 19:29

    Everyone makes good points But if you need to get it started just do as I noted. ASE Master H-D truck, ASE Master Auto Tech and ASE Master Paint and Body. Also Automotive Hall of Fame inductee 1990. 30 years experiance.

  7. #7Cat Wrench2010-07-11 20:04

    Well, I slept in a Holiday Inn last night.

  8. #8tuney4432010-07-11 20:34

    Must be a joke in there somewhere.Care to enlighten us?

  9. #9Cat Wrench2010-07-11 22:08

    It was a attempt at humor (trying to extol my own "qualifications" that being I slept at a Holiday Inn like in their commercials). I would "bleed" the air out of the system rather than crank on it with gasoline on a rag. Some fuel pumps can sustain damage from being cranked for extended durations without the fuel to lubricate them.

  10. #10digger242j2010-07-12 09:02

    There's the problem. To get smart, you need to sleep in the Holiday Inn Express ... ointhead

  11. #11ontrac2010-07-14 00:06

    Yea, I am sure cat engines would fold up under a minute or two of cranking but this is a case, it will be fine!