When I load my backhoe on the trailer it is always in the exact same spot with the front bucket up against the stop on the front of the trailer. The backhoe has four tie down points with one on each corner and I have four matching D rings on the trailer. Basically my tie down chains are the exact same length every time which is about 3-4'. I have already cut and use some short pieces of chain. We load and unload this thing a lot and I was thinking of ways to make it easier. If I could get some ratchet binders and permanently attach a short piece of chain on each end with slip hooks I could just hook the anchor points on the machine and the D-rings on the trailer and ratchet it up. If I could find some with clevis jaws on each end it would be ideal but the only ones I have found are these and the clevis uses a 3/4" bolt which is way too big to fit through a 3/8" chain. Any ideas?
How about one of these to connect your chain to the chain link on the end of your ratchet binder, after you cut the hook off? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H8...165_QL70&keywords=Columbus+McKinnon+mid+links
Just cut the hook off and use a properly rated shackle to join your chain to the loop on the end of the binder. Or a weld shut link.
You could use a hammer link if you cut one of the hooks off and ran one side through your chain and the other through the binder
Thanks for the ideas guys. Hammer link looks ideal. The twin clevis would be the cheapest solution but I am not sure it would fit over the round ring on the binder. They seem bigger than the chain they match up to.
Don't cut the link that holds the hook. Cut the hook itself, leave the link that holds it to the round ring. Would a weld link be legal in a transport application?
Id be careful using one side of a hammer link. They get there strength by not having much clearance around the pin. If you use just one side and chain to the pin it wouldn't have to shear the pin. It would likely just bend it. IMO
That is what I was planning on doing - cutting the hook and leaving the link that is between the turnbuckle eye and the hook. These still are much larger than the chain at least on the binders I have.
Go see someone like these guys. Then you will know you are legal. Tell them what you need and they will make up anything you want and you will have all the paperwork and tags to make the DOT officer happy. My employer buys lots of stuff from them and they were very helpful with tie-down equipment when I bought my truck and lowboy trailer and needed binders and chains http://aaasling.net/
I think you misunderstood. Both sides of the hammer link would be used. One side through the binder, and one side through the end of the chain, then the two halves connected as they are supposed to be.
why don't you just use a bigger chain that will fit that binder if they are not that long the weight won't be an issue
I could but I think those round links on the ratchet binders are big like maybe 5/8" ? I am out of town now and can't measure one but I think they make the binders out of lower grade steel so In order to match the strength of say grade 70 1/2" chain they need to use 5/8 material.
Would one of these eye to eye styles work? https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/binders/compactor/eyeeye.htm