Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

$ Rate/Mile for Heavy Equipment Hauling

clansing1 ยท 2010-03-17 14:43

I am looking at purchasing a 50-ton RGN trailer for hauling my own equipment. I have a trucking company that we do work for and they do work for us. I am considering leasing the trailer to them occasionally for hauling heavy equipment. What would the going $/mile rate be just for the trailer? Do you have a base rate and then so much a ton? I was thinking around $0.50/mile. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1tonka2010-03-17 15:13

    Are your loads local or out of state or? $0.50 a mile seems really low to me...

  2. #2clansing12010-03-17 19:36

    The rate would be per loaded mile and would probably vary from 150 miles to 1000 miles.

  3. #3Chaz Murray2010-03-18 01:59

    That would only equal 27.50 per hour with the 55mph speed limit assuming you could average 55 mph all the time! I agree .50 per mile seems way low. **Edit...sorry had to read the first post again...guess I missed the part that you wanted to rent the trailer out..then in that case it might be a little on the high side. On trailers we rent out we have a flat fee for daily, weekly and monthly.

  4. #4JBlackwell2010-04-16 09:31

    You have to do a flat rate, no per mile stuff. Too many dishonest people in the world. I would do minimum of $850 per month up to $1,250 depending on who it is, etc., etc.

  5. #5TERM1012010-04-17 10:04

    I would say anything under 250 miles the trailer needs to be make $40-$50 an hour. My trailer would roll for nothing less. Anything over 250 I would try and work out flat rate deals per job.

  6. #6imjustdave2010-05-26 15:56

    I would say flat fee, maybe monthly and or weekly. Remember if they are using it a lot you may end up with brake and tire replacments a lot more often then your thinking. And this brings up a point that you may have to make provision in a rental agrement for when you or they are resonsiable for such maintanance.